Video: Palin’s speech at the Boston Tea Party

posted at 12:05 pm on April 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Via the Right Scoop, Sarah Palin delivers the speech every Tea Partier wants to hear today. Palin traveled to Boston as part of the Tea Party Express, speaking in front of their bus to a cheering throng. Calling the Obama administration “all Alinsky all the time,” Palin sent a message to the White House that “we’ll keep clinging to our Constitution, our guns and our religion and you can keep the change!” It’s not far off from her speech at the SRLC in terms of topics, but there’s a much heavier emphasis here on rallying the crowd as one would expect at this event:

One point Palin drives home in this speech is the need to maintain the momentum of these rallies. So far, that hasn’t been a problem. Rasmussen’s survey shows that identification with the Tea Party has rapidly increased just in the past month:

The number of people who say they’re part of the Tea Party Movement nationally has grown to 24%. That’s up from 16% a month ago, but the movement still defies easy description. …

· Ninety-four percent (94%) believe the federal government has become a special interest group that looks out primarily for its own interests. That view is held by 67% of all voters nationwide.

· Seventy-four percent (74%) believe that government and big business work together in ways that hurt consumers and investors. That’s very close to the national average. Sixty-nine percent (69%) of all voters hold that view. …

· Eighty percent (80%) in the Tea Party movement are white. Six percent (6%) are African-American.

· Fifty-five percent (55%) of those in the Tea Party movement are Republicans, 14% Democrats. Keep in mind that 75% of Republican voters say that GOP leaders are out of touch with the party’s base.

As Gallup reported last week, the demographics of the Tea Party largely reflect that of America — and more of America have joined the Tea Party. Palin’s critics keep trying to claim that she’s out of the mainstream, but the rapid growth of Tea Party support demolishes that claim. If Democrats think this is a passing phase, they will find themselves very surprised in the midterms.

The Tea Party Express concludes tomorrow in Washington DC, but expect rallies in every state capital tomorrow. We’re having one here in Minnesota, and I’ll be speaking at it. If a Tea Party rally is taking place near you, please try to join. You’ll see what I’ve seen over the last year — that these rallies aren’t about anger, but about Americans entering the political arena to change the direction in which both Democrats and Republicans have taken the nation over the last decade. It’s about determination, duty, and — no kidding — the joy of having the ability to participate.

Update: I fixed the Palin quote in the first paragraph; I missed the reference to the Constitution.  Big thanks to SarahPAC for pointing it out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I must agree with a previous poster that Sarah can get shrill. A bit of EQ at the sound board easily corrects that, letting more people focus on what she is saying. She was a bit (can I say it?) screechy in that clip. Several posters mentioned that it was annoying and distracted them from what Sarah was saying.

I have to agree. Thankfully it’s super-easy to fix.

Who is John Galt on April 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I wish Sarah would come back to Los Angeles and do an event here that I can attend…Sarah needs to remember that over 20 thousand of us showed up to see her in Carson a L.A. suburb which is home to a predominantly middle class and very Democratic black population…

CCRWM on April 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Tea Party Organizers Refused to Provide ASL Interpreters Upon Request

About deaf 20 Tea Party supporters repeatedly made the formal requests to the Tea Party organizers for more than 3 weeks ago for providing the American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters for the Boston rally on the date of April 14th.

Several of the deaf Tea Party members had been informally assured by the IM chats with the Tea Party organizers that the presence of ASL interpreters will be there last week ago. One of them asked for confirmation of ASL interpreters’ given name and got immediately disconnected by the AOL IM chat. Repeated attempts to get in touch with the Tea Party organizers left some deaf Tea Party supporters such a negative experience with the Tea Party.
——–

so awesome

Dave Rywall on April 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM

One session with a ‘speech coach’ or something like that will sort things out.

Birdseye on April 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM

so awesome

Dave Rywall on April 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM

That really does it! Those damned teabaggers sure hate the handicapped handicapable.

Run along Dave and try to dig up more negative anecdotes about the grand tea party movement.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

CCRWM on April 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Ditto
I was there…it was absolutely inspiring in dark blue L.A.
Had my 20 year old daughter there along with my sons 23 year old g’friend. Having the kids there and seeing them enjoying their conservatism was a real blessing for the ol’ man(me).

bestwins on April 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Tea Party Organizers Refused to Provide ASL Interpreters Upon Request

——–

so awesome

Dave Rywall on April 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM

This appears to be a cut-and-paste without a link. Wazzup with that, Rywall? You new at this or sumthin?

More to the point of the “article,” did anyone call or contact the Tea Party Express? It was their operation, after all, and I can assure anybody interested that they would have responded in some manner. I dealt with them at the Puyallup WA shindig and there were zero logistics problems that did not get solved pronto.

Whatever your point is, I would hold responsible the people who try to use a chat session on the internet as a substitute for a dedicated conversation with an authorized person.

platypus on April 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

unclesmrgol on April 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Thank you for sharing. Describing him as a hero is an understatement.

I suspect you would indeed would get the folks in that tiny place going wild.

I also suspect that he is as proud of you as you are of him.

rukiddingme on April 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I suspect you would indeed would get the folks in that tiny place going wild.

rukiddingme on April 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Sorry for the mistake, getting late here, time for bed.

rukiddingme on April 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I’ve yet to identify myself as a member of the Tea Party Movement, for no other reason than that I’ve never attended a Tea Party event. Yet every time I post a comment at a site, I get asked by someone with an opposing viewpoint (and I am being polite here): “You a bagger?”

Oh, the things I would reply if I were not a model of self-restraint to which all should aspire.

WaltzingMtilda on April 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Rywall and Ernesto are showing up late. I believe we may be fresh out of Purina Troll Chow.

trigon on April 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The CUDA, once again, KICKED TOTAL ASS.

CUDA

Metro on April 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Energy and honesty trump sleaze and corruption every time…

profitsbeard on April 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Unfortunately this principle didn’t hold true with the Health Care battle, but in the long war against the sleazy socialist it will prevail.

Thank you! to all those who rallied at the Boston Tea Party!

Gang-of-One on April 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Sarah Heath Palin, keeping bedwetter’s keyboards dust free since 2008.

May God richly bless her.

Inanemergencydial on April 15, 2010 at 1:06 AM

TEA Party officially endorses Sharron Angle in NV GOP race this morning at 9 AM press conference in Wash DC.

In last Rasmussen poll
, Angle passed Tarkanian to close within 3% of Sue Lowden.

Angle has won all but 2 NV GOP county straw polls, while neither Lowden nor Tarkanian have won a single straw poll.

Mark Levin will interview Angle on his radio show Friday.

fred5678 on April 15, 2010 at 3:33 AM

I dont affix a color to this movement really. Its people who just want the country back to what she once was. We are #1 and we want to stay that way, not be throttled back. Its clear what O is doing now. He’s accelerated his effort on apologizing for the U.S. all over the place, messing up our Allies, and trying to make us #3 in the world next to CHina and Russia. Blacks and whites who want tokeep the America our fathers and grandfathers fought for are the so-called baggars. Before you know it Obama will have so much power we may not be able to do any protesting or talk radio any more. This is it people. Stand up for it or lose it.

johnnyU on April 15, 2010 at 4:36 AM

oh and if Cuda needs a shoe-shine guy. I am still up for the job. :)

johnnyU on April 15, 2010 at 4:37 AM

In last Rasmussen poll, Angle passed Tarkanian to close within 3% of Sue Lowden.

Mark Levin will interview Angle on his radio show Friday.

fred5678 on April 15, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Tea Party can’t officially endorse anything. WE HAVE NO OFFICIALS. By design.

Who is John Galt on April 15, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Sarah Heath Palin, keeping bedwetter’s keyboards dust free since 2008.

May God richly bless her.

Inanemergencydial on April 15, 2010 at 1:06 AM
——
So I guess you want God to not bless Obama, then. To, you know, bring him failure. That’s s o awesomely Christian.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Obama is so incompetent, not even God can help him.

Doughboy on April 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Die screaming, Troll.

SurferDoc on April 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hey Sarah? What about Israel? What about social engineering in the schools? Abortion? Conscience rights for health care workers? Is it unpatriotic to care too much about these things?

Yeah, I’m seein’ some racism, alright, and how long until some real violence?

I’m listening……….but I’m tired of hearing the same speech over and over again to people concerned about pocketbook issues………and a whole lot of platitudes. “Constitution”, “freedom”, “rights”. How about some specifics?

If she lets the Campaign for Liberty change our platform, I’ll be looking to another party.

If she starts talking more like Reagan, I’ll be less uneasy.

gocatholic on April 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Die screaming, Troll.

SurferDoc on April 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM

AMEN.

1)Can’t hear? Bring your own damned assistance.
2) I listen to everything a Socialist says about Christianity, like I listen to what drug addicts say about healthy living.

Lockstein13 on April 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM

[Audio] D&C Producer Iggy [Uber-Lib] attended Tea Party Rally & captured some of the sound & atmosphere from event http://bit.ly/9IGKYm Must hear. The Tea party Movement earned a convert. According to Iggy, the only haters were the counter protesters you’ll hear in the link above, who were profane and out to start trouble.

TheBigOldDog on April 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I just finished watching the speech. Wow. She’s such a better speaker than Obama, who’s over-produced style is starting to wear thin. She looks at the people, not a teleprompter and has a natural manner to her speech. So when a moment of inspiration happens, she can go with it.

Dongemaharu on April 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Impeccable logic…for a Canadian…

Inanemergencydial on April 15, 2010 at 1:55 PM

So did the Boston teaparty group manage to escape the evil liberal disruptions?

AnninCA on April 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM

She turns the average person off due to the inane ramblings in the first 2 minutes of every speech she has. If she would skip that crap and get right into the meat of her speech I would bet more people would listen to what she has to say.

Unfortunately most people tune out because she does sound like a moron in the beginning. If only they would continue listening, they would see she is far from being a moron. She just starts out really slow in her speeches. Wish she’d change that.

ButterflyDragon on April 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM

ButterflyDragon on April 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Oh please, you’re asking politicians not to be politicians.

Nobody I know in that world remotely escapes.

She’s a politician.

AnninCA on April 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM

This woman is truly amazing!

She can draw thousands upon thousands of folks even in the bluest regions of the USA! Heck, she can even get 20,000+ people to show in the middle of the Nevada Desert!

DNC better be very afraid for 2010 and 2012.

sarahpalinfan99 on April 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Sarah Heath Palin, keeping bedwetter’s keyboards dust free since 2008.

May God richly bless her.

Inanemergencydial on April 15, 2010 at 1:06 AM

——
So I guess you want God to not bless Obama, then. To, you know, bring him failure. That’s s o(sic) awesomely Christian.

Dave Rywall on April 15, 2010 at 8:36 AM

What a ridiculous leap of (non)logic. You have said a lot stupid things in the past, but I think this one takes the cake. That’s s o awesomely Llleft-wing.

Enkidu on April 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM