Video: Barton blasts Waxman for intimidation attempts on ObamaCare, cap and trade

posted at 1:36 pm on April 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

After Barack Obama signed ObamaCare into law, publicly-traded corporations that allow retirees to remain on their prescription medication coverage plans had to announce write-downs against future earnings because of the end of a tax credit for keeping retirees off of Medicare Part D. Henry Waxman demanded that the CEOs come to a Congressional hearing to explain themselves, and then made the same demand when the American Farm Bureau publicly opposed his cap-and-trade bill. Today, Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) ripped Waxman on the House floor, claiming that Waxman’s attempts at political intimidation flew in the face of the First Amendment:

Barton’s speech had one surprising and salutary effect: Waxman has apparently canceled these hearings.

Not only is Barton right about the intimidation, but Waxman’s tirade regarding ObamaCare flies in the face of the Sarbanes-Oxley regulations Waxman himself supported. Under those laws, any information of adverse impact on earnings has to be publicly disclosed at the earliest possible time, in order to ensure that investors aren’t deceived about a company’s prospects. AT&T, Caterpillar, John Deere, Verizon, and the others making such announcements had no choice. In fact, Democrats know full well that these companies will have to pay higher taxes, because they themselves argued that eliminating the tax credit would create over $5 billion in revenue from the change in the next ten years.

Simply put, those hearings had no other purpose than intimidation.

Update: The Boss Emeritus has more on Waxman’s next target.

Comments

Texans always move them.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Good job, Congressman Barton. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and a little sunlight on Waxman’s star chamber was definitely in order.

Mr. D on April 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

heh

cmsinaz on April 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Of course he canceled the hearings. Ratface would’ve been humiliated on national TV.

Doughboy on April 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Sic ‘em, Joe.

Proud Texan on April 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Fruitbat never meant to hold the hearings, he just wanted to let everyone know he could yank the chain any time he liked.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I hate it when Congress wants to investigate why people are following the laws they created. Such a downer.

ButterflyDragon on April 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Don’t mess with Texas.

Wethal on April 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

“Fruitbat”

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

*snort*

Scott P on April 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Chewing tobacco in MLB? Go for it, Henry?

a capella on April 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Mortimer Snerd just got b!tc#slapped.

thomasaur on April 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM

One of the premier committee chairmen? Who wrote this speech, Tom Coburn?

Jim-Rose on April 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Related parody: Democrat Henry Waxman Holds Hearings on Infiltration of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles into U.S. http://optoons.blogspot.com/2010/03/democrat-henry-waxman-holds-hearings-on.html

Mervis Winter on April 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.

search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Good for Barton!

Regarding Waxman’s next jihad:

Looks like there will be crying in baseball.

tru2tx on April 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Well, if they don’t read the bills they pass, it shouldn’t be surprising that they forget about them even if they supported them.

Doesn’t anyone begin to wonder what these cretins actually do? Are they just chasing pork, lining their pockets and going to parties sparing enough time to appear on TV to get their ugly faces out in public?

With a few exceptions being a member of Congress is, for most, like joining the Mafia.

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.
search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Don’t. Texas spiders kill and eat people.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.

search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Just beware the weather. I got 2 blizzards, an all-out ice storm, and quite a bit of less-unpleasant weather in the space of a single month there. But maybe that was just my usual bad luck.

Dark-Star on April 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Fruitbat

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Ha! I choked on my Skittles!

You are spot-on: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/images/fruit-bat_new.JPG

tru2tx on April 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

You go Joe!!!!

yoda on April 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.
search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Don’t. Texas spiders kill and eat people.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I’m moving to Texas. The spiders and snakes can just get out of my way.

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Intimidation is always the first tactic of tyrants.

lorien1973 on April 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I can’t understand how our country is in the mess it’s in, with pillars of society like Henry Waxman in charge.

Good lord. We would be better off being ruled by earthworms, than Democrats.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Don’t worry, the snakes have eaten the spiders and the pterodactyl sized birds we have down here have eaten the snakes.

As long as they don’t go Hitchcock on us, things will be fine.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

As long as they don’t go Hitchcock on us, things will be fine.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I personally would be more worried about the coming Zombie apocalypse or possibly a velociraptor attack.

Johnnyreb on April 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Dark-Star on April 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

That was the Lone Star gods driving you away…

ladyingray on April 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

If only we could evesdrop on every single conversation that occurs with members of Congress.

This one would have been delicious:

Waxmans’ aide: “Congressman, you shouldn’t call for these hearings”

Waxman: “Why?”

Waxmans aide: “Because you were a vocal supporter of the law that requires them to do exactly what they did.”

Waxman: “Shit…call the Boss. Tell him I can’t do that favor…better call Pelosi too.”

No matter what public reason will be given for cancelling the hearings, we all know this is representative of what really happened in Waxmans’ office.

BobMbx on April 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Johnnyreb on April 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM

We haven’t had a chainsaw massacre in several weeks, although the lead story in the San Antonio nightly news recently was “Cockroaches found at Mexican Restaurant”.

Forewarned is forearmed.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

That was the Lone Star gods driving you away…

ladyingray on April 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM

*golf clap*

Very clever, ‘lady’.

Dark-Star on April 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Waxman (who, when laying on his back looks like a two-car garage) canceled the hearings. Darn. I was hoping for a replay of that scene from The Aviator when Howard Hughes dismantles the senator during the hearing.

kurtzz3 on April 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Good job.

And AK Steel – company that runs a large steel mill in the town where I grew up. They also use electricity to melt steel 175 tons per batch.

Obamacare and Cap and Tax are going to kill the plant and the town. In the meantime, prices are going up.

forest on April 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Watch out for scorpions and fire ants too ( :

yoda on April 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.
search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM
Don’t. Texas spiders kill and eat people.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Ummm…what? I live here…what spiders? I did have a brown recluce run in as a younger adult…got a nice scar from it but he was not big enough to eat me. Am I missing an inside joke?

Brian on April 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

As long as they don’t go Hitchcock on us, things will be fine.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Lol! I’m a big fan of Texans. Very big. The South rocks, and although I live in the South I’m inclined to move even further South where folks really bark back.

It’s not so bad where I live, though. Yesterday some woman called the police because she heard shooting in the neighborhood. She lives on a bad block, and her kids deal drugs. When the cops arrived my neighbor showed them his permit. Yep. We can own and have the right to shoot guns within city limits. The cops didn’t know that.

Anyway, my ~~~favorite~~~ neighbor was shooting squirrels which I already knew. Bottom line is simply that he’s cool, and the drug enabler has learned a lesson.

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Johnnyreb on April 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Aren’t the Zombies just in Austin?

The largest enclave of liberalism in Texas.

Same thing.

tru2tx on April 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Watch out for scorpions and fire ants too ( :

yoda on April 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

We have Brown Recluse spiders here. Killed one the other day. Fire ants are just a part of life especially if you’re a gardener.

People tell all kinds of stories about Texas. The best one is that rattle snakes can crawl out of your toilet. It’s probably Texans protecting their turf as we do where I live. Who the he// wants a bunch of Yankees moving in?

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM

You can tell Waxman is pissed because his nostrils are flaring.

cat-scratch on April 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM

EVIL … EVIL … EVIL … EVIL … it just doesn’t stop.

stenwin77 on April 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM

If coming to Texas; some things to watch out for.

1. Fire Ants – they will eat you if you let them.
2. Snakes – any and all sizes…watch yourself inside and outside…lol
3. Weather – if you don’t like it just wait 10 mins it will change.
4. Being a jerk will result in a trip to the emergency room…just saying
5. If you don’t already know…dems/libs/progressives are not liked and are not welcome in most public places…sorry we just don’t put up with it like other states.

// :-)

Brian on April 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Just last week in Austin a giant spider killed and ate three railroad workers. Beware.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I live in Nebraska now, but lived outside of San Antonio where we killed 5 rattlesnakes on our property, scorpions in the house, fire ants in the yard and the neighbors killed a coral snake by their house. Critters don’t bother me especially if I live in Texas.

yoda on April 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Were they union members? ;)

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Dang it Bishop!!! I knew not to click and I did!! LOL!!!

Brian on April 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM

If coming to Texas; some things to watch out for.

1. Fire Ants – they will eat you if you let them.
2. Snakes – any and all sizes…watch yourself inside and outside…lol
3. Weather – if you don’t like it just wait 10 mins it will change.
4. Being a jerk will result in a trip to the emergency room…just saying

6. Don’t cut in line in a traffic jam. Some of those SUV’s have .22′s within the driver’s reach. I’ve seen it in Houston.

Steve Z on April 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM

So Henry sent a threatening letter to the Farm Bureau because they make comments about energy taxes and cap and trade? Somebody needs to regulate Waxman.

seven on April 14, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I wonder what feeble reason Waxman will come up with for cancelling the hearings? And..I hope they do something about reinstating the tax credit for companies providing drug coverage to retirees, because we are one of these folks and I do not care to have to go on Part D.

jeanie on April 14, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Come on now why would you insult a harmless fruit bat like that? I think that fruit bat is far more attractive. After all once Waxman retires from the House he can live off the royalties he get from his picture showing up on the front page of the “Globe” every month or so.

LCT688 on April 14, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I live in a nice housing plan in San Antonio and I’m actually disappointed in how little difference there is here and where I lived in Arlington, VA.

Although once I drive out to the Hill Country, it’s Texas. I wish I could live out there, but traffic would be hell.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Mortimer Snerd just got b!tc#slapped.

thomasaur on April 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM

This is my personal favorite. However, it’s kind of an insult to Mortimer. Mortie’s more attractive by a long shot.

tickleddragon on April 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.

search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Go to San Antonio. Take the tour of the Alamo and you’ll understand.

Kafir on April 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Somebody filled him in on the coming disaster.He’s not quite as dumb as he looks.He will find a way to blame the companies for cancelling and some MSM will back him up.

docflash on April 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Some of those SUV’s have .22’s within the driver’s reach.

Steve Z on April 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Double that for my choice in Houston, carried legally Janet Napolitano. But I’ll let you in.

gitarfan on April 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM

kurtzz3 on April 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, me too. I had the popcorn set out by the microwave, ready to go.

And the “fruitbat” comment was an insult to the fruit bat. He’s more of a tabloid-style Bat Boy.

iurockhead on April 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Some of those SUV’s have .22’s within the driver’s reach.

Steve Z on April 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Out here in West Texas, more likely a .45 ACP, we don’t like to have to group our shots that close. I prefer the Kimber 1911.

iurockhead on April 14, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.
search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Don’t. Texas spiders kill and eat people.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I’m moving to Texas. The spiders and snakes can just get out of my way.

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The snakes down here in Texas are downright friendly compared to the ones in Washington DC!

Susanboo on April 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Susanboo on April 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yeah. And the good news is that you don’t have to wait years to vote them out of your yard or house. You can just ……… them. ;)

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Yep. I love NC, but our state government is a bit crazy these days. I’m ready to head to Texas. Which smaller cities have the best job opportunities?

j_galt on April 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Cody1991 on April 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I live in El Paso. I had a garter snake crawl out of a toilet one summer afternoon several years ago. A lady who was cleaning house for me was in there and started screaming bloody murder when she found it wrapped around the tank. You should have seen the look on her face when, after seeing what kind of snake it was, I picked it up gently and took it outside.

Susanboo on April 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Good lord. We would be better off being ruled by earthworms, than Democrats.

NoDonkey on April 14, 2010 at 2:05 PM

The earthworms aren’t that dumb that they would go anywhere near Congress. They know how much the Democrats like to bait and switch.

Yoop on April 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM

And that’s exactly he canceled the hearings. I think he finally realized that every single CEO would come armed with copies of SOX. Waxman knew he’d look like a fool.

BacaDog on April 14, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Spiders to watch in Texas: Brown Recluse and Black Widow.
With 103 species of snakes here in Texas only four are venomous: coral, cottonmouth water moccasin, diamondback rattlesnake and copperheads.

I captured seven copperheads during a two month period just below my back porch a few years ago.

And unlike most Texans, when I come across snakes I shoot them.
With my dSLR that is.

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Waxman is another idiot who has to go.

disa on April 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM

carbon_footprint on April 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I’ve got a bunch of venomous pit vipers in my back yard, but I’m hoping all ya’ll vote them out in November.

Laura in Maryland on April 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I am proud to have supported Barton when he ran for Senate and later for Party Chairman.

I think Waxman may have seen that this hearing would have backfired on him.

WannabeAnglican on April 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I simply MUST visit Texas.
search4truth on April 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Don’t. Texas spiders kill and eat people.

Bishop on April 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Yep! Here is one of em!

Freddy on April 14, 2010 at 6:09 PM

A blood-sucking Fruitbat?

chickasaw42 on April 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Waxman is exactly the type of representative that is killing the U.S.

His actions are based on revenge against God who gave him that face………….

adamsmith on April 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM