Exclusive: When Jason Met Barney

posted at 8:45 am on April 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Jason Mattera gives Hot Air readers the exclusive look at the full five-minute video of his meeting with Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) in what may be the crowning achievement of Jason’s performance art in support of his new book, Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation.  In fact, Jason does this so well that he manages to keep Frank conversing with him all the way to a committee room door.  Did Jason make a sale of his new book?  Unfortunately, Jason can’t even make the sale on a fist bump at the end, which the Clare Booth Luce Institute’s Alyssa Cordova captures on video:

Give Frank some credit here.  He didn’t run away from Jason, and even chided him to allow him to make his argument — and then kept arguing.  He didn’t duck into an elevator or have staffers push Jason away, although Frank may well have wondered where the hell his staffers were at that moment.  When Brooklyn meets Bayonne, neither one wants to give an inch.  Frank even outlasted Al Franken, the previous record holder for time in the ring with the champeen.  And except for leaving Jason hanging on the fist bump at the end, Frank managed to hang in the fight with a certain amount of panache.

Of course, as Jason points out, the answers Frank gave were misleading at best, so he loses a few style points.  Otherwise, a fine performance in a losing cause.

Comments

Liberal weenie that Frank is, he is still an exceptional debater. An example of why conservatives must do their homework and get their principles and arguments solidly in their minds.

JeffersonFan on April 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Don’t fall for the “you’re interrupting me” tactic. None of them mind being interupted. They hate being disagreed with.

Jaynie59 on April 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Even though Frank’s response maybe lame. Mattera should let him respond. Still not impressed with him. What good do these videos do?

(I know. Dont bother telling me that I must be a lefty troll for voicing my critisicm.)

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Jaynie59 on April 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM

That’s Bawney Fwank’s MO. He’ll filibuster for the entire interview and if you dare try to get in a word edgewise, he’ll scream that you’re interrupting him. And if you call him out on his lies, he’ll accuse you of being too stupid to have a conversation with.

Doughboy on April 14, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Frank is not the type of person we need in Washington. His misguided policies are directly responsible for the mortgage meltdown.

If he were genuinely serious about wanting more Americans to own their home (a worthy goal, BTW) he’d be working to reduce government meddling in the free market and promoting the creation of wealth and jobs in the private sector.

BackwardsBoy on April 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM

My speech therapy teacher would be appalled.

sammypants on April 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM

How do some politicians completely ignore the fact that the documentation abounds to show them to be complete liars? Like they live in some kind of alternate universe. It looks a lot like mental illness.

Eren on April 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Wow. More lecturing. Didn’t expect that.

Unless you’re doing something to challenge and/or expose corrupt Democrats, you shouldn’t be critiquing someone who is.

Narutoboy on April 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Agreed, and I’ve voiced the same opinion in past videos. Mattera quickly moves from interviewing to badgering. He would be far more effective if he concisely phrased his question, and let there be either a lying answer, a surprising answer, or damning silence/retreat. Instead, it’s usually just pure goading. If we want to expose these people, give them a chance to do it themselves.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I like these videos but I think he’d be a lot more effective if he treated politicians like he does their supporters – pretending to be one of them and draw them out in conversation.

gwelf on April 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM

I agree that Mattera should let people answer questions fully, before jumping to the next question. These imbeciles would dig their own graves, and he’d hardly have to say a word. But overall, I love the guy, and he’s doing a whole lot more to expose these liars and thieves for what they really are. As far as, “Didn’t your apartment smell a little funny at night?” and “…it wasn’t pillow talk?” — Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Dopenstrange on April 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Narutoboy on April 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Who made that rule?

You’re right! Give him free reign. Let him do whatever he wants. He’s above reproach simply because he challenges and exposes Democrats.

By the way, he is exposing nothing. He’s using other peoples exposition and just repeating it in the opposition’s ear.

I’ll ask again. What good do these videos do? If you have a good answer I’ll change my mind.

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:29 AM

If you don’t interrupt these scumsuckers they will talk for hours. Not easy to do what Mattera does.

SurferDoc on April 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

They’re already exposed. He’s trying to sell a book. Feel free to remove the panties from your ass whenever you’d like.

You have two options really, carry yourself up to Capitol Hill and show us how it’s done, or stfu.

The stuck-up lecturing by so-called conservatives will turn people off just as much if not more than what Mattera is doing, which is simply playing to his fanbase.

Conservative/Liberal, it doesn’t matter. They’re both Socialists, just with a different moral vision for America.

uknowmorethanme on April 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Other than making these guys look like fools, I think these videos are doing a great job of exposing the moralists of the right.

uknowmorethanme on April 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

The “Don’t interrupt me” line is old and worn out, Bahney. I don’t know how Mattera gets away with what he does. Dude’s got serious cojones.

princetrumpet on April 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Yes, yes and yes to all your points. I’m getting tired of saying it. I’m sure commenters are getting tired of me saying it as well.

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I wish FNC would give Mattera his own show. At least give him segment time on Hannity’s America or something.

ErinF on April 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

JeffersonFan on April 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM
Exactly,the only ones who stand a chance in the upcoming elections are the ones who stay on task not attacking a party.

ohiobabe on April 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Did he really want to bump that fist?

jjjen on April 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM

uknowmorethanme on April 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

But they already are fools to us. Do we really need to be reminded? Sometimes, (especially with Franken) Mattera comes out the one looking like a chump.

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM

gwelf on April 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Exactly. He made a far clearer point with the pro-socialism protesters.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Barney Frank fits the profile of a sociopath in every which way possible.

rollthedice on April 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM

uknowmorethanme on April 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Your username was a brilliant choice.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:00 AM

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Armchair quarterbacks out early I see.

Smiles on April 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Do we really need to be reminded?

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Some on our side really don’t care whether we expose these people or not. They assume that just because we’re aware of the corruption and deceit, that everyone else in America knows as well, and so therefore there’s no need to actually show them the situation. They prefer simply a loud echo chamber, poking these creeps with a stick.

52 percent of America voted for Obama. We need to clearly expose these punks to the voters, not act as obnoxious as they do.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Jason has good intent but he is basically a clown.
His activities get him publicity but he could be doing a much more effective job of exposing these frauds.

FactsofLife on April 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

He needs to add subtitles. I don’t speak Frank very well.

Socmodfiscon on April 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The whole “Mattera should let them answer” thing is (sorry) just stupid. matera knows that he has a VERY limited moment with them as they scurry back to their holes. (and in barneys case, one could read whatever they want into that).

He (Mattera) is stopping them from sidestepping, lecturing or fillubustering.
I especially like it when bill orielly says the same thing. If anyone knows how the politicians work this sort of thing, it should be him.

Mattera’s vids are brilliant. By confronting these dullards and having them (In SOME way) deny their fault in all of this, and then placing THEIR own words in quotes…well its just devastating.
The only ones that are going to not like it are the squishy’s and the noodle spined.

Handel on April 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM

“fist bump?”

AWESOME. I personally wouldn’t bump anything with barney. That includes fists. I have an idea where his has been.

:D

Handel on April 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM

shick on April 14, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Ambush journalism isn’t about deep and substantive. If you want that, go watch something else. It makes them look small and destroys their ego. It does a lot more good than just commenting on a news site, I know that.

Narutoboy on April 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Jason Mattera, PBOH, loses all credibility and completely discredits everything republican, and conservative because of his videos.

Inanemergencydial on April 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Inanemergencydial on April 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Where is your sarc tag?

Narutoboy on April 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Where is your sarc tag?

Narutoboy on April 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

IDK, ask thebluesite on the next palin thread.

Inanemergencydial on April 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Jason has good intent but he is basically a clown.

Jason Mattera, like Steven Crowder and Alonzo Rachel, make me cringe with embarrassment. They are unwatchable–especially Crowder.

Emperor Norton on April 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Emperor Norton on April 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM

When you’re fighting for your life or the life of your country dignity goes out the window…

theaddora on April 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Emperor Norton on April 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I disagree. Crowder did an excellent job when he went up to Canada and stopped at the clinics to talk to the nurses on staff. His music videos, on the other hand…yeah, cringeworthy.

Zo’s got his own style, but it’s commentary rather than interviews.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Shock poll on drudge.

CNN had every candidate losing to Obama by 8+ points last week. CNN had Palin losing by 13 points.

But Rasmussen has Ron Paul in a statistical tie with Obama!

Spathi on April 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Jesus, make this jackass go away. You lose any and all integrity when you’re chasing down members of congress saying things lime, “with this bad economy, can you show me hot to run a brothel…didn’t it smell funny at your place?”

Stop giving this guy publicity, because he’s making an ass of himself.

This is singing to the choir, and as I said before, singing to the choir is almost always a wasted effort.

TheBlueSite on April 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Ron Paul in a statistical tie with Obama!

Tied in dopiness?

Emperor Norton on April 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Frank has nothing to fear. He should be in a cell and instead he is in a position of power and wealth. Him talking to a young guy in an elevator is like a male talking to a woman in the elevator. He might get lucky.

And when all else fails, he’ll whine about how everybody is against him since he’s ghey…..and it actually works.

Hening on April 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Shock poll on Drudgereport.

Ron Paul vs. Obama

(CNN had Palin -13 against Obama)

Spathi on April 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Spathi on April 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Stop repeating yourself.

MadisonConservative on April 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Stop giving this guy publicity, because he’s making an ass of himself.

TheB@#*S#!% on April 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Uhm…. How about YOU just go away. You obviously don’t like it here. This IS “hotair” you troll.

SnowSun on April 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Lmfao. You are too predictable joshy

Inanemergencydial on April 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Mattera is fearless. Well done.

barrythrowslikeagirl on April 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

So at what point does civility or good manners for either side get restored?

valianthunter on April 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Sorry, Jason, but it isn’t your fist Bawney wants to ‘bump’.

mrt721 on April 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

In a Utopian world, Barney Frank would be doing 20 years of hard labor for the trillion dollar fraud he and cronies foisted on American taxpayers.

And unicorns….

never mind!

Sweet_Thang on April 14, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Barney catches, right?

PappaMac on April 14, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Fist-bump? Pfft. I am pretty sure Barney prefers just fisting.

cat-scratch on April 14, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Vote Barney Frank out of office in 2010!!!

Look at this map to see how vulnerable Barney Frank is.

Barney Frank received the lowest percentage of votes of all Massachusetts Congresspeople in 2008 in his 4th district.

And Scott Brown’s success in Barney’s 4th District shows that a GOP win is possible.

Earl Sholley is running against Barney Frank.
Check out his website:

wren on April 14, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I get such a kick out of these. I hope they never stop.

ronsfi on April 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM

This could be the beginning of the best buddy movie ever.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM

JeffersonFan on April 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Correcto mundo, my friend;
Frank knows which side his bread is buttered. Too many Republicans, and the media do not.

Cybergeezer on April 14, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Bawney Fwank is a perfect example of a Democrat Politician – he’s got his head so far up his ass that he has to open his mouth to see where he’s going.

(kind of an MC Escher thing there)

CatchAll on April 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Barney loses the meat of the argument…so to speak.

dthorny on April 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Hening on April 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Why do you want to reward the guy? He probably yearns for some prison time.

dthorny on April 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM