New Palin “scandal”: She flies first-class to speaking engagements

posted at 5:39 pm on April 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

The logical follow-up to this morning’s media gawking over her earnings last year. Anything about her that appears to contradict her “one of us” blue-collar authenticity will be catnip to the press as supposed evidence of the worst crime imaginable. Worse than murder, worse even than plagiarism: Hypocrisy.

Six pages of the contract Palin’s handlers sent to Cal State Stanislaus were unearthed in a dumpster by students there this week, and one of the many requirements that must be met for the former vice presidential hopeful: two unopened bottles of still water and “bendable straws” must be waiting on a wooden lectern.

That was just one item among the pages of elaborate demands that must be met to land a contract for Palin to come speak at an event. More costly were the requirement for her travel – the venue must supply her with business or first class commercial airfare, or with a private plane. And not just any jet will do.

“The private aircraft MUST BE a Lear 60 or larger (as defined by interior cabin space) for West Coast Events; or, a Hawker 800 or Larger (as defined by interior cabin space for) East Coast Events, and both are subject to the Speaker’s approval. The Speaker Reserves the right to change the flight plans at any time,” the contract states.

So she’ll fly commercial unless you want to hook her up with a particular private jet. In fact, she’ll actually fly coach, which ABC doesn’t tell you, under certain circumstances: Read the rider and you’ll see that it’s only for flights to or from Anchorage that first-class is mandatory. If she’s traveling within the lower 48, riding in the back with the hoi polloi is fine. (For international flights to the lower 48, she asks for business class.) Actually, there’s no ironclad proof that the contract is even hers: Her name is never mentioned, but given where it was found, the fact that it comes from her speaker bureau, and the fact that it refers to travel from Alaska, the inference is made. Frankly, I’m amazed that she’s willing to fly commercial at all. Considering the intense loathing she inspires in some quarters, I assumed she’d long since passed the point of needing a security detail when she’s out in public. Is it really just her and Todd (or an assistant) crammed back there in coach among lefties who feel queasy at the thought of her? Good lord.

Oh, something else: Hotline claims that the rider demands that all questions, whether from the audience or from the moderator, be pre-screened, but I can’t find that passage. I see that there’s a pre-screen provision in the section on “Satellite Events,” but there’s nothing about it in “Audience Q&A.” I probably just missed it in my haste of skimming the document. Let me know and I’ll update the post.

Comments

Jenfidel: Your being mean!

canopfor on April 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
—————————
Of course I’m not.
I’m just trying to isolate the problem.
Isn’t Esthier Canadian?

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Jenfidel: I don’t know,I should have put a sarc tag,
or (i kid),carry on!!!:)

canopfor on April 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM

This story is journalistic Nothingburger Soup.

SurferDoc on April 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM

WTF!! When I was traveling which I did one hell of a lot a few years ago, I took every opportunity to fly first or business class. Anything to get out of the crowded discomfortable coach section.

This is another very stupid blog about nothing.

docdave on April 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM

You know, last time I checked, Sarah Palin was a private citizen. Those who contribute to her endeavor probably want her getting to her speaking engagements in one piece, without being mobbed by anyone she meets on a plane. As gracious as she is, even Mrs Palin needs to decompress while getting from point A to point B.

Maybe we’ll even hear Al Gore complain about her. Now THAT would be funny.

manwithblackhat on April 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Oh, the humanity!/// Gimme a break.

kingsjester on April 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM

At least she doesn’t bow to the Chinese…

Seven Percent Solution on April 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Lemme’ put ya’ some news…

I know, first hand, Alaska Air automatically upgrades frequent flyers to first class.

franksalterego on April 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM

You mean his wife’s separately-held real estate?

malclave on April 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Distinction without a difference, but I’m not against his ability to have multiple residences anyway.

Esthier on April 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

As I recall, her portfolio is legally separate due to a pre-nup; he does not share ownership of most of those properties.

Which, in my mind at least, makes it significantly different than how the Left presented it at the time.

malclave on April 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM

How much were Michelle Obama’s tennis shoes?

aikidoka on April 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Is English your second language?
Perhaps Reading Comprehension is a challenge for you.

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Jen, that post makes you a jackass. You could learn the manners your parents obviously didn’t teach you from Esthier.

dakine on April 13, 2010 at 7:34 PM

We already know that Al (I’m going to save the planet) Gore travels around in private jets and he’s the one complaining about everyone elses carbon footprint. Did I see anyone in the free press go after him, except for Fox News? Of course not.

If you don’t think Sarah Palin is one of us, just ask any of us if, and it’s a big if, someone were willing to pay us big bucks, fly us around the country in 1st Class, put us up in 5 star hotels, and feed us great gormet meals, just so we would give a 30 minute speech and answer a few questions afterward, if we’d take it? My guess is there are less people, capable of getting this sort of money for speaking gigs, than there are NFL football players.

It seems a little jealousy goes a long way.

bflat879 on April 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Joe Biden just read this HotAir thread and thought it was a BFD.

Americannodash on April 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Anchorage to Seattle in Coach is tolerable but Alaska Airlines flies nonstop to Chicago and Northwest flies nonstop Anchorage-Detroit. Those flights are murder during tourist season….

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM

You want murder? Delta and Continental and US Airways all fly nonstops from the East Coast to Honolulu (US Airways is ending their service this fall). That’s almost a 12 hour flight. Continental’s is especially bad-leaves from Newark.

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Does she demand that her plane circle around the Statue of Liberty before landing?

If not, Mr. Obama could teach her a thing or two.

unclesmrgol on April 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Mountain, non-existent molehill. Next.

Dave Rywall on April 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

A mountain would be Queen Latiyfah, who demands a) 12 Evian atomizers and b) 12 pieces of KFC (6 Double Downs?).

That’s a mountain a dozen times over.

unclesmrgol on April 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Anchorage to Frankfurt.. nonstop.. 14 hours. I did it.. and will never do it again.

upinak on April 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM

You forget ANC got HOU (7.5 hours) or ANC to D.C. (8.5) or ANC to NYC (8).

They were thinking about putting a ANC to ORD, but decided not too. It has to be a 10 hour flight.

upinak on April 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Maybe Nancy will let Sarah use her new jet.

yoda on April 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Anyone who flies coach when they don’t have to are idiots. I don’t care if you’re blue collared or not, flying coach sucks.

deidre on April 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM

dakine on April 13, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Pardon me, I don’t see that my post was rude or unmannerly in the least.

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Al Gore’s contract:

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM

BTW, don’t forget that in the summer, the northbound flights fly against the jet stream, slows them way down. I took nonstop from Detroit to Anchorage a couple of years ago, 9 hours of sweaty hell.

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

yep… the houston hell plane is not so hot in august either.

upinak on April 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Lemme’ put ya’ some news…

Sorta. They now have 3 classes of ff elites, MVPs, MVP Golds and a new class, MVP 75K for those who fly over 75,000 miles a year. The 75s go first, then the Golds. If you’re just an ordinary MVP, you probably won’t get upgraded on the busy flights.

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I fly the Chi-Anc flight ONLY if it looks like I will get upgraded; I’m Gold but not 75K. If it looks like I won’t get a UG, I fly to SEA and then to ANC.

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM

If Sarah wasn’t in demand, this would all be moot.

As it is, even the POTUS can’d help but attend to her every utterance.

There’s just something positively joyous about that.

marybel on April 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Sorry, but I just read the rider…she doesn’t sound like a public servant, which is what she claims she wants to be, but rather a celebrity and nothing but a celebrity.

Attack me as a troll, a douchebag, an idiot, whatever…you guys will ignore anything Palin does, but you’d be attacking Pelosi for the same thing in a second.

TheBlueSite on April 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

JimAK on April 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

They don’t have to many of those MVP75 yet…

though I hate when they fly you to denver. and then BACK to somewhere like portland. I stopped flying on Ak Air, started going on Continential… haven’t had a complaint.

upinak on April 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM

No big deal. Dumpster-diving is the only job that graduates of Cal State Stanislaus are qualified for.

Emperor Norton on April 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM

TheBlueSite on April 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Sorry, but right now, Sarah isn’t a public servant and is, in point of fact, a celebrity.
Pelosi, on the other hand, is on the public dime and therefore should be fair game.

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Sarah isn’t a public servant and is, in point of fact, a celebrity.

Bears repeating.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

as a long-time Palin fan this is quite disturbing to see. I think it’s quite obvious she isnt running for any type of political office again. She just cant provide any solutions to ANYTHING. I have liked Palin ever since Mac picked her to be on the ticket. She just isnt capable of leading the country. Maybe she will change over the next year. But I kind of doubt it.

ousoonerfan15 on April 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Pelosi, on the other hand, is on the public dimeand a douchebag, and therefore should be fair game.

FIFY!

belad on April 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Sarah isn’t a public servant and is, in point of fact, a celebrity.

Bears repeating.

Grow Fins on April 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM

She is NOT a “public servant” but as a private citizen she has been The Leader Of The Free World since January 2009….

DanOwillbookem on April 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sarah Palin uses planes for transportation News At 11:00 LOL!

Dr Evil on April 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM

ousoonerfan15 on April 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM

…and without a sarc tag you are just a concern troll who conveniently ignored her 10-minute drill down on energy policy at SRLC as well as her numerous editorials and FaceBook posts on everything from health care to national defense.

DanOwillbookem on April 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM

what new solutions did Palin have in that speech?? I sure didnt hear anything besides standard republican views. She couldnt even come up with new solutions on her supposed best issue. energy.

ousoonerfan15 on April 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM

and we are suppose to believe that some dumpster divers just happened to find this document that just happens to play to all the leftist talking pts 100%….

ok there

unseen on April 13, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I will not hesitate to fly first class if offered. Flying coach is the worst. I don’t blame anyone for flying first class if they can.

Mallard T. Drake on April 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Attack me as a troll, a douchebag, an idiot, whatever…

TheBlueSite on April 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM
Well,if you insist.

katy the mean old lady on April 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Isn’t this what a free enterprise is about?

DL13 on April 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

This is the #! non-story of the year.

technopeasant on April 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM

OH.MY.GAWD! She demands WATER and SIPPY STRAWS?? How dare she!

What’s next?!? Ice?!

sarainitaly on April 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Next we’ll here Keith Overbite whining about how Sarah Palin shops for underwear at Victoria’s Secret instead of Wal-Mart like the rest of the unwashed masses.

jimmy2shoes on April 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Rubio on Hannity tonight:

“I’d love to have her support.”

takeamericabackin10 on April 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM

On a plane with other people too I bet. wow.

johnnyU on April 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I’ve always wondered how that fat zeppelin Algore can even fit inside an airplane. Well okay, maybe he can squeeze into a C-5 Galaxy or stuff himself into a C-17.

Hey, I got it! Let’s make Algore give up his Gulfstream and force him to fly only in Tupolev Tu-154’s. Problem solved. Vladimir Putin could personally select the pilot & co-pilot.

CatchAll on April 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM

The irony is: California AG Jerry Brown says that he will “investigate” the Palin contract matter to find out who at CSU Stanislaus knew what and when they knew it… but he can’t be bothered to investigate ACORN.

I find it very convenient that the two jack-booted, Nazi students who are leading this campaign witch hunt just “happened” to find incriminating evidence in a dumpster.

Kalifornia Kafir on April 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Is English your second language?
Perhaps Reading Comprehension is a challenge for you.

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

dakine on April 13, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Dakine,

Jen’s reading comprehension is pretty bad which makes her comment so laughable. From last night

Sarah almost pulled McCain over the finish line all by herself and she can win the White House the same way.
Americans always vote for the top of the ticket.

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM

As you can see she literally couldn’t keep her narrative straight from one sentence to the next.

Cultists what can you do?

Bradky on April 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM

And?

Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger
Claim to Fame: Notre Dame Football Walk-on in 1975
Fee: $15,000 for colleges, $20,000 for corporate groups

The phrase “15 minutes of fame” was invented for guys like Rudy Ruettiger. The diminutive (165 pounds, 5’6″) walk-on for the Notre Dame football team got into a game for one play in the 1975 season and sacked the opposing quarterback.

After Tristar Pictures made a movie about him in 1993, Ruettiger began to cash in on his fame.
Like most other speakers, he asks clients to pay his airfare, but he has different requirements for different clients. For schools, he’ll fly coach, but corporations must pay first-class.

So does Al Gore

Al Gore
Claim to Fame: Vice-President, 1993-2001; former U.S. Senator
Fee: $100,000

We all know Al Gore requires a privet jet but????????????

With an Academy Award and a Nobel Prize under his belt, Al Gore has become a kind of Renaissance celebrity. Not surprisingly, Gore’s global warming lecture is a big seller. The Smoking Gun, a Web site, nabbed a copy of the speaker’s contract for a 2007 “Environmental Media Lecture,” which revealed some interesting tidbits. Any vehicle used to drive Gore, for instance, “will be a sedan, NOT an SUV” and, if possible, should be a hybrid. The sponsor needs written permission from Gore to distribute photos from the event—and no media are allowed without his permission.

And he only gets 100K Palin 200K!

DSchoen on April 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Where’s the issue?

LarryG on April 13, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Americans always vote for the top of the ticket.
Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Cultists what can you do?

Bradky on April 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM

The narrative is straight, you maroon!

Sarah did almost win it for McCain but because he was at the top of the ticket and she was only the VP candidate, he lost the presidency!
Get it?
Or does that require too much nuanced thinking for you?

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Sarah was mentioned on “GLEE” tonight….
Palin 24/7. She’s *****GOLDEN***** LOL!!!

idesign on April 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Jenfidel on April 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

You can’t even understand the silliness of what you wrote but I’ll try to jen it down for you.
First sentence you say the VP almost pulled mccain over the line and then in the next sentence you say Americans always vote for the top of the ticket.
That is called a conflicting statement

I can assume that english is your primary language can’t I?

Bradky on April 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Bradky on April 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Ah, no its not.

Fact, Americans always vote for the top.

It is also true that a VP choice can sink a winning campaign or bolster a losing campaign.

When Palin came on board she boosted the ticket, but not enough to win.
These are statements of fact.

I can assume that english is your primary language can’t I?

I know reading comp is not your forte in life, is it?

DSchoen on April 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM

CUDA

Metro on April 14, 2010 at 12:38 AM

if she was flying coach they would complain that she is doing it just for the show since ofcourse in her situation, like Al Hypo Gore, she would not have to.

**********************************************************
But here is the real question:

Do you know any, any “blue color” person who giving the chance, would stay in the economy seat and not want to get upgraded?
***********************************************************

mooseburger on April 14, 2010 at 1:51 AM

“you’d be attacking Pelosi for the same thing in a second.” But, but, Queen Nancy already has her own government jet. No reason for Her to fly with the “peons”…until next January….

RADIOONE on April 14, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Lets compare just a few expenditures:

1. $100 a lb steak dinners every Wednesday night on our
dime.
2. Flys in a St. Louis Pizza man and some pizza fixings on
our dime.
3. A Million dollar photo op of Airforce One over New York
City and the Statue of Liberty as a backdrop, panicking
the entire area on our dime.
4. A date to a New York City show, causing massive traffic
jams crowding, excess air flights, security and hundreds
of thousands of dollars on our dime.
5. “FREE” Healthcare for at least 2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS of
our dimes while the Gov’t exempted themselves form this
trash plan.
6. The national debt increased to 14.5 TRILLION dollars
from 9 trillion dollars in 1.5 years of our dimes.
7. The loss of 6 trillion dollars in personal wealth lost
due to this presidents economic policies of our dimes…

dthorny on April 14, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Nancy demands her own plane!

AnninCA on April 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Pssst, we know she’s making a lot of money. Isn’t she achieving the American dream while we still can. See, this is the trouble with the left. They don’t view hard work followed by success as laudable. Unless it can be stolen for redistribution, it’s not their cup of tea.

Kissmygrits on April 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM

If a person flew coach all the time, put up with left wing nuts insulting her, carried her own bags, stayed at Motel 6 wouldn’t they then call her dumb? Sarah is our gal so go to hell lame stream media!

Herb on April 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Good grief, I sincerely hope she flies first class.

First Class is the airline seat of choice for ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. That description suits Sarah Palin like no other American.

When you are hugely famous, it matters bigtime that the percentage of complete idiots sitting in first class is a lot smaller than the percentage sitting in coach.

The flight attendants blessedly also defend first class passengers from being intruded upon by the odd presumptuous, bird-brained yahoo who might be sitting in the back of the plane.

Such a ridiculous non-story could only matter to the Perpetually Aggrieved Left. The real story is why the hell anyone should care. If I were mega-rich I’d want to help find a way to buy her her own private jet — god knows that that great industry could use the business nowadays.

Edouard on April 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Better than flying private jets like Mike Steele.

Mr. Joe on April 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I don’t know why private jets get such a bad rap.

The United States of America is by far the world leader in this industry, one of the few manufacturing industries in which we still completely dominate.

We should be promoting the hell out of private jet sales for the good of the American economy.

Many talented, decent ordinary Americans work in this industry but some have had to be laid off in the down economy. I deplore that it is one of enviro-wackos’ “Kick Me” targets.

Anything the global warming chowder-heads are on such a warpath against, I tend to be a booster of.

By the way, if the RNC had a private jet, it would probably be more cost-efficient in the long run than to have to rent lots of private jet trips. Michael Steele could be a lot more efficient with his time and I am actually not against that.

Edouard on April 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM

*blink*

AnninCA on April 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Did anybody hear about how the papers were mysteriously found whole among shredded documents by lefty students?

Count to 10 on April 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Gee, I wonder when the state run media is going to write about Nancy Pelosi using our Air Force as her personal airlines? Not only for her but her friends and family get to use it too. At least Sarah is not spending our tax money.

Wills on April 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Heh. I read about this on Foxnews.com and State Senator Yee believes that this is California’s little “Watergate” (referring to the shredding of the documents). Wow, the left is desperate. Nobody gives a sh*t if Sarah Palin makes those demands anyway. And the idiot college students, probably wannabe Woodwards and Bernsteins, can suck it. Desperate times call for desperate measures, hmmmmmm?

NathanG on April 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Good grief, are there actually people who care about this? Seriously, flying first class? You should read some of the contract requirements of rock stars and other musicians. The booze alone would kill a small herd of elephants.

inmypajamas on April 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

by Allahpundit

suggestion go join Huff Post,

thanks

mathewsjw on April 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Another liberal projection – that flying first class is relating to social class and should therefore be guilt-inducing.

Sarah EARNED the right to fly first class. But “earned” is not a word in the liberal lexicon.

PoodleSkirt on April 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Maybe Nancy will let Sarah use her new jet.

yoda on April 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Maybe the pilot will be a conservative and dump Nancy out at 30,000 feet.

MsUnderestimated on April 14, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Let’s compare Sarah’s bill to Nancy’s. Oh forgot Nancy’s a dim Goofy me……….

steelman on April 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Oh, hell, when I travel for business, I have yet to book a first class or even business class flight. I always book (and log my expense sheet) coach class. But let me tell you, I regularly upgrade to 1st class for flights when I can–and I’ll never regret it.

There is nothing wrong with first class.

zombyboy on April 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM

The booze alone would kill a small herd of elephants.

inmypajamas on April 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

But would have little effect on even a single donkey.

unclesmrgol on April 14, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Count to 10 on April 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

You might find this interesting:

University President Says Palin Contract Stolen

Has the American Psychological Association added Palin Derangement Syndrome to the DSM yet?

Kalifornia Kafir on April 14, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Palin could fly in a gold-plated jet for all I care.

She’s not using taxpayer money, and I doubt that folks that bought her book or send her donations expect her to fly coach.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Oh no! Tina Fey will make fun of Sarah Palin flying first class! Comedy gold “You betcha”!

MCGIRV on April 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

1. $100 a lb steak dinners every Wednesday night on our
dime.
2. Flys in a St. Louis Pizza man and some pizza fixings on
our dime.
3. A Million dollar photo op of Airforce One over New York
City and the Statue of Liberty as a backdrop, panicking
the entire area on our dime.
4. A date to a New York City show, causing massive traffic
jams crowding, excess air flights, security and hundreds
of thousands of dollars on our dime.
5. “FREE” Healthcare for at least 2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS of
our dimes while the Gov’t exempted themselves form this
trash plan.
6. The national debt increased to 14.5 TRILLION dollars
from 9 trillion dollars in 1.5 years of our dimes.
7. The loss of 6 trillion dollars in personal wealth lost
due to this presidents economic policies of our dimes…

dthorny on April 14, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Kickin his ass back to Chicago in 2012…priceless.

joeinmo on April 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Allah, can you update or compare the sate response to the Acorn doc dump with this?

serendip2b on April 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Seriously, if she flew by clinging to the wing in mid flight, they’d find some reason to bash her.

Rebar on April 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Probably for creating an “unesessary drag” on one wing. The right wing of course../sarc

44Magnum on April 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM