Bad news: Insufferable New York hipsters decide census isn’t cool enough to fill out

posted at 4:00 pm on April 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

As promising as the headline sounds, the article is even better. For once, I recommend skipping the transcript and actually listening to the audio. How often do you get to hear a cultural stereotype come magically to life?

Nate Stark has an explanation.

Mr. STARK: I guess it’s laziness and like, what’s the point? When it comes down to it, nobody wants to fill out like another form that’s just like getting sent to your house that really relatively has nothing to do with your life.

SMITH: He thinks the young people just haven’t been given a good enough reason to fill out the census.

Mr. STARK: I mean people would do if they got like five bucks.

SMITH: Five bucks?

Mr. STARK: Yeah. Or if there was like more than just like a piece of paper that’s like you have to do this or you could get in trouble, which no one will get in trouble; that’s why they don’t do it.

I, like, like that they made a point of including all the “likes” in the transcript. Said another tragically disillusioned tragic hipster of a country that’s so, like, disappointed her, “If we don’t count, why be counted?” If you believe the media narrative, it’s precisely that sentiment that’s got Michele Bachmann and tea partiers burning their census forms in their backyards in protest. Except, of course, it’s a lie: The rate of return in Republican districts is doing just fine (better than fine, actually). Which means it’s a time for a new media narrative: The fact that conservatives are turning their forms in proves that the tea party’s a total bust. QED.

Here’s SNL’s mildly amusing opener from last night. This is the best you’re going to get with Armisen having to carry a sketch as Obama, so don’t grumble. Exit question: How will hipsters cope when Brooklyn loses House seats due to their low rate of participation? Ironically, I’m guessing.

Comments

Armisen looks stiffer than Al Gore in an earth-melting snowstorm.

abobo on April 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Whatev.

logis on April 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

AP, please check the link – the video stops before it gets to the funny part.

drunyan8315 on April 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

fiatboomer on April 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

They’ll be, like all devastated and stuff.

Dubya Bee on April 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

As long as insufferable NY hipsters always vote for Dems, something tells me they won’t lose a house seat. In fact, something tells me statistical analysis of the census, as opposed to a straight census count, is still on the table for Obama if he doesn’t like the results. That idea was already bouncing around when the Obama administration was thinking of nominating Judd Gregg to its cabinet.

JavelinaBomb on April 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Righties, pubs , and tea party types are in general much more responsible thus no surprise. If Ms. Milbank thinks this something big is not coming and that the tea party folks won’t be a force she is completely out of touch.

CWforFreedom on April 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Seriously, do anyone even watch SNL these days? Does anyone care?

Norwegian on April 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

That Milbank commentary is a piece of work, I’ll you what. “Paper tiger”? I didn’t realize the Tea Party was judged by its stance on the census, which as best I can tell the Tea Party, though decentralized, supports.

Patrick Ishmael on April 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Oh, but, like, the TV ads I’ve seen are like–you know, like–it’s good! And, like, you know all rad and sh*t, Obama likes it and all rad. And, like, if you don’t like, you won’t get your Obama money and all, like, wow, rad!

So, like, why not, like, fill it out, man? And you get all cool and like, you feel me, like?

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Needs to get that teleprompter ping pong head movement and lots more ahhh…errr…

jukin on April 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Obama will find some way to skew the census in his favor. Why else would he want to take it over.

jeanie on April 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Allah:

Why oh why did you insist that I listen yet again to NPR. Great production. Crappy content. Like a Cameron movie.

chaswv on April 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Totally OT: Dixie Carter died today.

Key West Reader on April 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM

OT: Dixie Carter died today.

Key West Reader on April 11, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I saw that. Wasn’t she a con?

CWforFreedom on April 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Someone should tell that Armison guy that an impression of a famous person is way funnier if you actually adopt some of the vocal and physical mannerisms of the person you’re imitating.

Or if not that, at least hang a sign around your neck that says “I’m Supposed to Be Barack Obama.”

Cicero43 on April 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

It will be a two-fer. The census response rates will also be submitted as proof of the RESOUNDING success of the coffee party.

Threshing Flora on April 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Seriously, do anyone even watch SNL these days? Does anyone care?

Norwegian on April 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I watched, loyally, from the beginning in 1975 until about 2005. It has had many casts that were unfunny between that period but it has never been worse, so long, since 2005.

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM

How often do you get to hear a cultural stereotype come magically to life?

Whatchutalkinbout?
Dig it man, like, not one of the cats on the NPR segment loquaced even remotely as hip as Maynard G. Krebs.

Arbalest on April 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM

“If we don’t count, why be counted?”

Maybe she won’t vote either.

BacaDog on April 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Democraps don’t have to fill out census forms.Bambi’s estimaters will see to it that the count is accurate./sarc

DDT on April 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM

“If we don’t count, why be counted?”

That’ll last as long as being denied a handout. Guaranteed, she’ll be at front of the protests, dressed in tie-dyes with a hand-made sign (words mis-spelled) and screaming the loudest.

It’s an amazing phenomenon to me. The most ardent liberals I ever met never go to vote. They remind me of a rich kid complaining she never got a pony for her 12th birthday but, still wanting that pony 30 years later, never used her own money to buy one all these years later.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM

The 19th-century cartoonist Thomas Nast, who made the Republican Party an elephant and the Democratic Party a donkey, would, if he were alive today, have reason to draw the Tea Party as a paper tiger.
———————————-
He could have saved his breath. There’s evidence that this Tea Party rebellion is a bust.
=============================

MEMO TO THE TEA PARTY:

How about having some guts,and at the next convenient
Tea Party Rally,

have a CENSUS BON-FIRE!!!

THAT WILL GET THE ADMINISTRATIONS ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

have a CENSUS BON-FIRE!!!

THAT WILL GET THE ADMINISTRATIONS ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Fun, maybe. But the Census is constitutional and, I say it’s incumbent on we, as Citizens, to do it right at all phases. It’s about us, We the People. The current Administration isn’t the issue, but our Constitution is. The Census is really the only thing the Constitution requires of us, as a free People.

Just an idea, Patriot.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I saw that. Wasn’t she a con?

CWforFreedom on April 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM

CWforFreedom: Yup!Carter was also a registered Republican!
( I googled it).
==============================

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM

The census is in the Cosntitution. Abortion ain’t. What do you think this moron thinks of “a woman’s right to choose”?

Akzed on April 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM

JavelinaBomb on April 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Maybe the census data will be “analysed”
by the CRU_K Anglia ‘experts ‘
They have a stellar record ;-)

macncheez on April 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Akzed on April 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM

What Michelle and other Democrats tell him it means? LOL

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I received the census form delivered to the incorrect address. I put it back in the box only to have the local mail carrier “educate” me by drawing a circle around the incorrect address. And they wonder why they’re held in such “high” esteem.

jdkchem on April 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

It’ll have the DemSM rolling out der Hitler Grafiks too…

fiatboomer on April 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Just an idea, Patriot.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Liam:Okay,symbolically then,don’t burn the real forms!!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM
———————–
It’ll have the DemSM rolling out der Hitler Grafiks too…

fiatboomer on April 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

fiatboomer: Okay,overkill,it was a thought!!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Liam:Okay,symbolically then,don’t burn the real forms!!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I sent mine in. I so much hungered to put down my ‘race’ as American. But, for me, I decided not to bother. I figured to not give some kid a hard time the same way I won’t complain to a check-out girl at the grocery store for being ‘slow’.

Plus, I might have some other Census worker knocking at my door when I have company.

Really, more to my point, the Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land, and Census is the only requirement I have to follow. So, I figured to just do it without a hassle.

Just my personal way of seeing it. It cost me nothing, and this one was far less intrusive than the last one, where they sent a Taker to my house asking about how many bath- and bedrooms I had. This one was fair, minimally intrusive–as I believe Census should be.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

This one was fair, minimally intrusive–as I believe Census should be.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Liam: Ya,I gotta admit,I would fill it out as well,its been
awhile since I`ve seen a Canadian one!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Liam: Ya,I gotta admit,I would fill it out as well,its been
awhile since I`ve seen a Canadian one!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Don’t polar bears count? LOL

When I lived in PA, the State did a ‘census’ of black bears vs people in my County.

The bears won. LOL There were actually more black bears there than people.

I’m all for protest. But our Census is important to our Republic, so I just went with what was sent. This time, unlike the last, it didn’t go over the top; I can always protest elsewhere.

American libs fascinate me, like a new kind of germ. They whine, whimper, and simper but, when it comes to be heard by law, they balk. Then they throw rocks at police and firebomb public lavatories.

I just can’t grasp that.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM

macncheez on April 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Why export the jobs we would get even better (/s) results keeping it in-house and sending it to the GISS group at NASA.

chemman on April 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Joe Biden!

Key West Reader on April 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

This one was fair, minimally intrusive–as I believe Census should be.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Fair? Minimally intrusive yes. The race question shouldn’t be on it. We no longer counts blacks as 3/4 of a person so race isn’t needed. The own-own-rent question is not relevant either. While I answered the questions it really isn’t anyone’s business what my race is or what my homeowner status is. In the area I live my guess is that they won’t send census workers out of the towns. Most rural property owners shoot first and ask questions later when they find someone on their property who has jumped a fence and is wandering around. Yes they keep their properties fenced and their gates locked.

chemman on April 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

THIS is the best comedy gold we can get. What anemic, pathetic, weak and utterly useless comedy gold is this? Is this what we’re reduced to. We sooo need some grade AAA comedy gold around here. It’s freaking criminal to go any longer without it. This is a big effin deal, so sumbuddy better start spittin out some sillies or some dudes is going to get seriously effed up./

ted c on April 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I only had a problem with one question that seemed redundant?

8. Is a person Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin

9. What is person’s race

Origin? Not Natural Born American? They only ask for this one grouping?

They don’t ask for different groups of say Asians origin?

Who are they trying to count and why?

This didn’t pertain to me but it made me scratch my head.

Dr Evil on April 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

ain’t be no dem districts going to lose congress folks because they’ll be like “well, they meant to send them census thingamajiggers in, but didn’t”…..

ted c on April 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Sounds good to me. Someone tell the hipster tools in Seattle, San Fran, LA, and every major city in the Northeast that the census sucks and maybe we can offset illegal immigration and Dem voter fraud.fiatboomer on April 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I’m with you. There are certain stupidities that should be covertly encouraged.

Bob's Kid on April 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

This didn’t pertain to me but it made me scratch my head.

Dr Evil on April 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Maybe they were aiming at this one Polynesian groups who last year lost the only one of her people to speak that now-dead language? Libs need to be all-inclusive, right?

It was a bizarre question, yes. Hence, to me, worthy to be ignored.

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

As an avid genealogy researcher, I can not tell you just how important the census can be for generations to come.

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I demand to know WHY the Census, and libs in general, don’t include my Clan’s language of Scots Gaelic on their forms?

I’m insulted!

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

And Welsh–Welsh is openly taught in Wales. Why isn’t that included on all official government forms? I wonce wrote a story about a Welsh girl, so that makes it valid for inclusion.

Where’s my lawyer????

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Origin? Not Natural Born American? They only ask for this one grouping?

They don’t ask for different groups of say Asians origin?

Who are they trying to count and why?

This didn’t pertain to me but it made me scratch my head.

Dr Evil on April 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I’m glad you asked that question. My mother was a mutt, my father was a mutt, and between the two of them I, and my spawn are:

Irish
English
Gernam
American Indian
Swedish
Italian

Now, factor in my husband who is:

English
Irish
Italian
Spanish
German
American Indian

………….

I answered American when I filled out my Census form. We just can’t be categorized or described. Darnit!

Key West Reader on April 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Ironically, I’m guessing.

“irony can be pretty ironic sometimes”
Airplane, or maybe Airplane 2. I forget.

rihar on April 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Don’t polar bears count? LOL

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Liam:Polar bears,and Canadian beavers!!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM

The most ardent liberals I ever met never go to vote.

Good!

byepartisan on April 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Cicero43 on April 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I think he hates doing Obama. He used to be pretty good, but that was a long time ago:

disa on April 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Liam:Polar bears,and Canadian beavers!!:)

canopfor on April 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I can get into beaver….

Liam on April 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM

As one of Brooklyn’s Conservative 16, I am tempted to not fill out the Census survey in the hope of getting rid of a Demoncrat…

ParisParamus on April 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I would’ve sent a form in if I had gotten one.

Kind of odd. My house has only existed over 100 years, and the federal govt seems to find us just fine come tax time.

meep on April 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I thought about putting down American race, but the truth is confusing enough so I figured that would be just as effective.

pedestrian on April 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM

ParisParamus on April 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Hmm. What matters is what state you are in. For gerrymandering purposes they are going to use election results anyway.

pedestrian on April 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Occurs to me that there’d been less resistance if the whole program had been sponsored & run by Ancestry.com ~ like, how else are your progeny supposed to look you up in 2110 ??

CaveatEmpty on April 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Why is Saturday Night Dead still on the air ?? Are people actually laughing at this crap?? It stopped being funny (imo anyhow) after Chris Farley left ! GRHS

cableguy615 on April 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Re the NPR story and its description of a hip neighborhood: What is an ironic mustache?

onlineanalyst on April 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I’m sorry…what was the “bad news”?

Jaibones on April 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Can you tell us why it is important to future generations what race we call ourselves?pedestrian on April 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM

No importance whatsoever.
The census is important to genealogy only in showing where the family lived, what comprised the family and special situations. Such as, I had a very hard time finding a missing link in my recent ancestry. I was able to locate the missing link. A “niece” who was living with her aunt and uncle in the 1900 census. From that information I was able to piece together much more information and find leads that lead me to solve a family mystery involving my grandfather’s mother who died very young.

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Okay, I’m lost. Did someone say that Tea Partiers were burning the census? Cause that would be pretty self-defeatingly stupid.

I have no doubt that if it is possible Obama will cheat it if he can. But not even filling it out just gives him all the more room to fudge.

But districting will be done by state legislatures. This is one of those years where voting Republican locally will benefit us the most.

At least that is how I think it is done.

petunia on April 11, 2010 at 8:53 PM

SNL? Tina Meh, right?

BHO Jonestown on April 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Akzed on April 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Who cares what he thinks? The Tenth Amendment gives us the freedom from over-thinking such arbitrarily-explosive issues.

Aside from that, arguing against a decennial census is effing-stupid.

The Race Card on April 11, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I think it’s in my trunk.

happyfeet on April 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

AP, of course you are too slow to see the big picture her? They are setting things up so they can use their statistical models like they have done with Global Warming. They will have to fix the undercount, they are setting up the narrative now, just not telling you and of course you fell for it.

WoosterOh on April 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Check out the link in the Headlines to a WaPo column by Dana Millbank making this *exact* argument. AP, you have done it again – you magnificent bastard!

kiltedscotsman5 on April 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM

That’s why they’ve ACORN (whatever they’re calling themselves today); they’ll just invent numbers.

SilentWatcher on April 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM

The question is not how many have returned but how many have answered more then the 1 constitutional question (number of people).

And how many people have specified their names on this “anonymous” document. And how many people have filled out their race (other than “American”)

mooseburger on April 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Hmmm…likely Dem voters shirk census, reduce Dem seats in House…

How’s this “Bad News”, exactly?

SuperCool on April 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM

The census information is always interesting to me, anyway. It shows migrations, if nothing else.

But there will never be 100% compliance.

AnninCA on April 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM

carbon_footprint on April 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I fail to see how the Census (enumeration = to count) should be considered a tool for genealogy research, and more importantly why the federal government (i.e. taxpayers) should be paying for YOUR research.

I think you owe the taxpayers some money!

jackal40 on April 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM

At the end of that piece, where they’re talking about the even lower census return rate for the Hasidic Jewish community, I can’t believe they emphasized that these orthodox Jews hadn’t heard all the census ads because they don’t watch TV or listen to the radio, yet left out one incredibly salient point:

Jews have a BAD HISTORY with being COUNTED.

Beck on April 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM