Video: Perry rocks the SRLC

posted at 5:10 pm on April 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Texas Governor Rick Perry may have had a tough slot in following Sarah Palin, but he proved to be up to the challenge. Perry delivered a stemwinder speech that had the crowd roaring on numerous occasions, and in doing so delivered a tough message to his own party. “Don’t tell me you’re a Republican,” Perry warned, “and don’t protect the innocent,” a sentiment that got a standing ovation. Perry took on his own party’s establishment, at least indirectly, than any of the previous major speakers.

I’ve seen Perry give speeches on television (mainly on YouTube) and knew he could be dynamic.  Earlier in the day, I mentioned that alone among the other speakers on the ticket today, Perry had the only shot at matching the energy of Sarah Palin’s appearance.  Perry has a very active delivery, in the same manner as a preacher.  He doesn’t stand still, but instead puts his whole body into what he says.  Perry’s speech turned a political conference into a Republican revival meeting, complete with the call to action at the end.

Perry’s first priority will be to win re-election in Texas later this year, which shouldn’t present a difficult task.  If after that he decides to get serious about a run for the Presidency, don’t count him out.  He’ll have more than two terms as an executive in a state that, as Perry reminded everyone in the speech, ranks first for economic growth thanks to Republican efforts to trim costs and keep taxes low.  He could very well be the kind of challenger that could make Obama’s shot at a second term very, very difficult.

Here’s an interesting factoid: Perry’s not listed on the SRLC straw poll.

Update: Perry asked to have his name kept off the straw poll, according to CNN.

Thanks to our good friend The Right Scoop, you can watch it all here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If Perry runs for President, he will be mocked as another Bush. His speech patterns will be mocked, and again tied to Bush. The wonder is whether this country, with its media, could elect him.

AnotherOpinion on April 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Seeing as how GW, Cheney, and Rove all threw their support behind Kay in the primary…that will be hard to make stick…unless folks have a problem with Texans, in which case their just stupid and RAAAAAACIST!

To all the Perry Eeyores…how good is bad? Texas’s economy is kicking butt and taking names when other states are sucking wind. After spending the past 3 years in CA, moving back to TX last fall…compared to what I came from, Perry looks like the reincarnation of Reagan.

“Boo hoo…he’s been in office too long.”

Margee on April 9, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Bill White would annex Texas to Mexico if they promised him he could be Governor of the Mexican state of Tejas.

Suck it up!

selias on April 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I’m always disgusted and amazed when Obama seeks out people like Jennifer Granholm for economic advice, but not Perry, with Texas’ sterling economic record. With CA and TX we have a controlled lab experiment showing empirically what does and does not work economically. But Obama chooses the California model. With no offense meant to the many sane Californians and your beautiful state. It’s just so sad what the Dems have done to your state.

I’ve mostly been a fan of Perry’s over the years, but never considered him presidential material until recently. That’s because I didn’t realize until recently how Texas has been thrashing the rest of the US on job creation.

juliesa on April 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I like Carl Cameron but he just described Gov. Perry’s speech was se·ces sion·ist. You have to love the media.

Cindy Munford on April 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Exactly! You are so right about him, my friend. He blows with the wind. The one thing I will say in his favor: he seems to have managed the Rita and Ike crises competently.

chris999 on April 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I’m going to vote for Perry in November, but I’m under no illusion that if President Rick Perry saw a wind he thought was blowing back towards the left in 2014 or so, we wouldn’t see him try to tack in that direction.

selias on April 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The conservatives in the Texas Legislature had to go to court to stop his mandatory cervical cancer vaccine for 6th grade girls fiasco, and the eminent domain kerfuffle over the I-35 reliever route toll road still irks a lot of Central Texas landowners.

Perry sees where the electorate is headed right now, which means he’s going to run a good campaign in 2010 and be a good governor in the 2011 legislative session, just as he was in the ’09 session. I just don’t want people outside Texas to get up their hopes that this is a man who, if elected president, would never budge from his core beliefs if they conflicted with his internal polling numbers if they showed people wanted more big government solutions/spending 4-6 years from now.

jon1979 on April 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I like Perry. Always have. Ever since he made life miserable for Molly Ivins and her “Guv-ner Goodhair”. And a Democrat candidate for Texan governor at this time has a snowballs chance in a Texas August.

As for the HPV vaccine, every baby born here is already vaccinated against a “sexually transmitted disease” at birth. Hepatitis B. Parents can opt out if they want but most don’t. One day I predict the HPV vaccine is just going to be added to the list of the vaccines given in year one, for girls and boys.

Marcus on April 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM

God Bless Texas.

publiuspen on April 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Take nothing for granted. I remember hearing in 1994-1995 that the GOP could run Zombie Nixon and beat Clinton.

ddrintn on April 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I prefer this type of Nixon.

He’s a good friend of newsmonster Morbo.

CPL 310 on April 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Also note the big issue with gardasil was that he was getting kickbacks from pharma companies to mandate it – and did so without the approval of state legislature. Gardasil by itself, as an option, or with approval of the legislature, wouldn’t have been a bad idea. Mandating an unproven vaccine to provide a revenue stream for his pharma buddies, not so cool.

Plus the trans-Texas corridor/I-35 megahighway really has a lot of folks ticked off. When people are getting eminent domained so a foreign company can build a road that people don’t want, it’s a pretty big deal. The Amero/NAU doesn’t seem like something on a Coast-to-Coast AM show when you’re losing your house.

Aside from those two critical flaws, he’s better than the alternative. (Though if Medina hadn’t burned herself with 4 minutes of teh stupid, I think she’d have been a better gov. Her principles sounded good, but alas…)

CPL 310 on April 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

He is just me or does ED sound giddy about someone competing with Palin.

unseen on April 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Perry Palin 2012

Key West Reader on April 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I can just see the bumper sticker now: “PP is No.1!

Dongemaharu on April 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Wow, I have never seen Perry this animated in a speech before. He is generally more controlled than that even though he always connects with and reads his audience well.

I will vote for him in November because I want to keep someone in charge who has made sure we weather the economic crisis generally intact. He does have flaws (don’t get me started on the toll roads around Austin) but he has done a good job overall. Voting in a Dem right now would not help keep in place government policies that have made Texas the place that drew people like Jimbo3 to move here.

Oh, and I wouldn’t worry overly much about an income tax just yet. The authors of our constitution made sure that no income tax could be put in place without a direct vote of the entire state. I don’t see that happening in this economic environment (unless we get fools who vote for a tax and spend liberal Dem like White for gov and that’s means you, Jimbo3).

inmypajamas on April 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Great Speech! This is someone I can get behind!!

Conservative Voice on April 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I am not a fan of Beck either. But if McCain had won the Tea Party would have never started and, for the most part, the sheeple mentality would have remained. I only hope we can correct the ship before we hit an iceberg.

Here’s to some variant of Perry / Christie / Rubio / Brown / Palin

Jed_Eckert on April 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

That is like saying if the Japanese had not bombed Pearl Harbor we would not have built up the fleet in the South Pacific. I think there would have been a push for smaller government and fiscal discipline in any event, but the country might not be on the edge of ruin now. Obamacare alone is reason enough to wish McCain had won.

Terrye on April 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Terrye, the point is, as horrible as Obama is, had Johnny Mac won, things would have continued to slowly limp along towards European socialism, not only would he have been for a lot of the silliness, he wouldn’t have listened to Sarah, and would have hurt her career.

With Obama, he has overreached by epic proportions. I mean biblical proportions. Obama couldn’t wait to go as far left as one could go. Full on, Karl Marx communism, with a generous dose of Chicago thuggery and corruption for desert.

What we are witnessing is a course correction like this nation hasn’t seen in this country since, well, the Civil War. More people are alert and involved in politics than have been in generations.

People are learning the truth about our nation, our founders and first principles. This is a blessing.

Like many diseases, the “medicine” is almost as bad as the disease, but in the end, you get better.

4 Years of Obama will almost kill America, almost. But once we are rid of him, and the “antibodies” of freedom and liberty build up, America will be stronger, healthier, and more vibrant then ever before. Count on it.

I hate Obama, but God works in mysterious ways, and having Obama elected will end up being the best thing ever for freedom and liberty, because it jarred the nation out of it’s sleep!

gary4205 on April 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM

You’re delusional. Everything Obama puts into place before he leaves in 2012 is here to stay. That includes Obamacare, and every “fix” they apply to it between now and 2012.

So, I guess it’s great folks are finally waking up. Unfortunately, it’s too late. They are forever stuck with the government they’ve learned to hate. But hey, at least McCain lost.

xblade on April 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I’ve always loved Rick Perry. As our Gov here in Texas-he’s done a pretty great job at keeping things from going down the crapper.
Funny thing. If you look at this speech…blur your eyes slightly…what former pres does he kinda look like? But with a Texas accent of course.

:D

Handel on April 10, 2010 at 2:49 AM

I’m pretty sure W didn’t get involved in that race. His father jumped in for Kay, but W stayed on the sidelines. If I’m wrong, I apologize.

mcg0125 on April 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM

So does that mean Rudy’s not a Republican? See what a can of worms that is…

ddrintn on April 10, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I have been saying every since the last campaign that this is the winning ticket. Perry and Palin

Good speakers, conservative, pro-life, pro-drilling, can draw and hold a croud, and both good looking.

Winner!

patriotparty1 on April 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

He doesn’t stand still, but instead puts his whole body into what he says. Perry’s speech turned a political conference into a Republican revival meeting, complete with the call to action at the end.

That’s exactly what turned me off. I had never seen a Perry speech before and I found his performance cringe inducing. I liked what he said, but his mannerisms were annoying as hell.

What’s the making-a-square-with-his-fingers all about? I watched about 5 minutes of that speech live he did it 3 or 4 times.

It was like watching a bad singer whose arm gestures are always a little off.

Jaynie59 on April 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Sorry, Governor Good Hair is AWEFUL! He packs the state boards with his good ole boys and micromanges everything from universities to the pardons and parole board.
He gives a great speech, but he is a dreadful governor.

You must be a Lib from Austin, because those are Texas Democrat talking points if I ever heard them!

I respectfully disagree that Rick Perry is a dreadful Governor. I think he has been a great Governor! He has done a lot for Texas business, and I like his stance on immigration, finance and taxes. Yeah, there are a couple of things he did that I did not like, but no one is going to agree with anyone else 100% of the time.

As for voting for Bill White, he’s a Democrat, and he seems so old, blah, and milktoast, and after seeing what Stupac and the rest of his buddies did in the US House, I don’t know if I will ever trust a Dem again. Rick Perry is going to be re-elected, and I am going to be behind him all the way!

Susanboo on April 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM

It was like watching a bad singer whose arm gestures are always a little off.

Jaynie59 on April 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I guess you don’t go to church or motivational speeches, because that is what
evangelists and motivational speakers do when they are speaking. It shows that he is excited and believes what he is saying, and certainly shows that he is sincere and not a big fake like our POTUS.

Susanboo on April 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Factoid = something resembling a fact, often invented, given credibility by its delivery.

oid = resembling or having the appearance of, so factoid is something that looks like fact but is not the real fact.

If what you mean is “here’s a little fact,” then say that.

/ pedantry.