Dem congresswoman: There’s no requirement to buy insurance in ObamaCare

posted at 8:30 pm on April 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

A new one from CNS News, which continues to explore Democratic nuance about the individual mandate. Your instructor here is Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, whom you may remember for having once described the public option — which would ultimately undersell private insurers and force them out of business — as the, ahem, “competitive option.” She’s no stranger to Orwellian rhetorical parsing, in other words, as you’ll soon be reminded again. Her point here, I think, is that fining people for failing to buy insurance technically isn’t the same thing as requiring them to buy insurance. Don’t want to buy it? No problem — the government will simply take some of your money instead. It’s like saying you’re not “required” to pay your taxes because you can of course “choose” not to pay, in which case the IRS will simply garnish your wages and put a lien on your property. Not a perfect analogy since in my hypothetical the compulsion involves only the government and not some third-party private entity, but then, that’s what makes the mandate so goshdarned special, isn’t it?

It’s honestly amazing to me that even at this late date a liberal like Wasserman-Schultz lacks the guts to explain to her constituents honestly what the mandate is about. You want insurers to cover preexisting conditions? You want to eliminate the shared burden of medical costs incurred when uninsured people need emergency services? Then you need a biiiiiiig pool of premiums flowing in to cover the expenses, and the only way to get a pool that big is to have the government coerce people into buying. Problem is, phrasing it that way might lead voters to conclude that the loss of liberty to that form of coercion outweighs the virtues of universal health care. So here’s her attempt to finesse the point, i.e. lie.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ha!!!! READ THE DARN BILL SCUM!!!

andy85719 on April 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

To quote the venerable AnnintheCan here:
F*k you Debbie, F*k you! I earned it.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I believe Harry Reid made this argument before.

El_Terrible on April 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Anyone buying this crapola?

Wade on April 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

You say potato

Daveyardbird on April 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

In the old days, before Internet, the congressional clunkers only had to tell the lies to the press and the press would dutifully report the lies to the people. Think FDR and Social Security and the lies told about that.

Nowadays, people have figured out the media lies about near everything, so they read and think for themselves … And there is always Hot Air. So the lies end up going flat before the nightly news has a chance to air them … sigh, goodbye old parrot lame stream media, we don’t need you anymore.

The congressional clunkers live in the old world.

tarpon on April 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I would characterize her as a moron.

theenforser on April 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

These people are just liars.

Liars.

We will take your money if you don’t buy it… but that’s not forcing you. Riiiiight.

That is called coercion.

tetriskid on April 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

She’s my Rep. and one of the dumbest broads in South Florida.

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

She’s lucky she filled the room with SEIU thugs, or else the town hall would’ve been over in about 20 seconds.

Doughboy on April 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM

And yet she will be re-elected with 70% of the vote. This country is mentally ill.

angryed on April 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM

“Problem is, phrasing it that way might lead voters to conclude that the loss of liberty to that form of coercion outweighs the virtues of universal health care.”

Kind of explains all the closed door meetings…

… doesn’t it?

Seven Percent Solution on April 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Katy you should run, you could clean her clock with a conservative mop.

tim c on April 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I have to say the clip I saw of her on MSNBC’s “Ed” show when that gasbag screamed at her and she seethed in anger at him was probably my favorite clip of recent months. You’d have thought she was Michelle Bachmann, he was so boozed up. He did.

Marcus on April 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM

But she is lying for Obama. Isn’t that a good thing?

taney71 on April 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM

By the same logic, you can choose to not eat food, but if you don’t, you won’t be considered dead-dead in a couple of weeks. You’ll only be considered sort-of not alive…..

Intrepid on April 7, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Katy:

PLEASE run against her…

HA members will have your back… Just run on ObamaCare…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Much like Keith Olbermann, I wouldn’t p**s on Debbie Wasserman-Schultz if she was on fire.

JohnGalt23 on April 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Wow, sounded to me like she was laughing at her constituents.

farright on April 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM

In effect, this is Wasserman-Shultz to her constituents:
1. You people are stupid little children, so I can say any goofy-ass thing I want to you.
2. I can twist your stupid minds like pretzels with my euphemisms and you\’ll believe whatever I say.
3. I know better than you what\’s good for you so stop asking me these annoying questions. It\’s passed, so get used to it and live with it.
4. I have spoken, you duffuses.

stefano1 on April 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM

What am I doing here and why are my pants on fire…?

Marconi on April 7, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Guys, you still don’t get it.

It’s a crapload cheaper NOT to buy insurance than to buy insurance and this is not a mistake. The tower is meant to fall.

drjohn on April 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Her constituents need to put her in the UNEMPLOYED category.

gregbert on April 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I can’t understand how anyone can be so delusional as to believe themselves when they say this stuff. Someone tell me with a rational explanation how they can say talk this dribble and truly believe it. Is it that they really think they’re superior and their words are unquestionable?

PaCadle on April 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Another delusional national socialist democrat. The list grows longer.

Dhuka on April 7, 2010 at 8:54 PM

This woman really grates on me. She is such a freaking liar. Every show she is on, she just blatantly lies. I hate her as much as I hate Obama and Pelosi. And, if she wasn’t a cancer survivor, I’m sure people would really unload on her. Look Deb, I’m sorry you had cancer but I really wish you would just STFU and go away you lying, piece of crap.

mrsmwp on April 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM

She is my Congresscritter. People in this district are heavily dependant on disability scams. As indicated by the smattering of supportive applause at the question, this cretin will probably retain her seat. People in this district are mostly illiterate, ignorant, selfish, New York Jews, and of course congenitally Democrat.

Hollywood, FL

epluribusunum on April 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM

For some un-Godly reason, Wasserman-Schultz seems to get air time on Fox News from time to time. And every time she’s been nothing but a pack of lies wrapped around her shriveled liberal mentality, believing her audience is as stupid as she is.

Rovin on April 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

OT:Oh Brother. Some damn twit is telling Laura on BOR how beneficial meatless Monday’s will be in SanFran.
I’m Planning a mixed grill Monday, here.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

It is not against the law to murder people, but you will have to go to prison if you do.

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Wasserman-Schultz is a prime example of NewSpeak. She also likes to talk like Obama. Say a lot of words, that mean nothing.

GarandFan on April 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM

doubleplusungood

tru2tx on April 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Katy:

PLEASE run against her…

HA members will have your back… Just run on ObamaCare…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Yes please katy.

I’ll set up a website for you and everything. Consider it a campaign donation.

Chaz706 on April 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

PaCadle on April 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Charitably, I’ll say “it’s amazing what one might believe is true if they didn’t know what the bill actually said.” There’s no way this gal had either the desire to read the bill or the capacity to understand it even if she gave it the ol’ college try.

Uncharitably, I’ll chalk this up to a blatant liar doing what blatant liars do best: be a sound-byte spouting Democrat. Wait, pardon me–I mean lying blatantly. It’s just unfortunate that all the rest of us have to suffer because of her deficiencies.

johnny alpha on April 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Bachmann and Palin on stage with Hannity….!!!!

Rovin on April 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Say, that’s a nice little $750 sitting there in your account. It’d be a shame if something happened to it…

UnderstandingisPower on April 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I see her as an indicator of the average intelligence of those she represents. My senator and representative are Arlen Specter and Joe Sestak, respectively. Believe me, if I didn’t have to live in this area, I wouldn’t. I have never in my life seen such a massing of village idiots.

ROCnPhilly on April 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Hannity must have a tingle running down his leg.

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Well it’s also different because if you don’t pay taxes then the garnishing of wages will end up costing you what you originally owed and more (from penalties). With the mandate, the penalty is less than what you would have paid for insurance. So there is certainly a difference.

But you’re right that they should just go out there and explain it honestly and straightforwardly the way you did.

tneloms on April 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM

If they can’t even bring themselves to read the Constitution, how can you expect them to read a 2,700 page bill?

John the Libertarian on April 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Debbie, YOU LIE! Uber-libs like DWS believe that the public is far too stupid to understand what is really happening so she goes out and spews Obamapablum hoping that the rabble will just nod their heads in agreement and act like sheeple.

Philly on April 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Heh…

BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Oh, she knows what the bill says…she’s just much of a coward to spell it out for her constituents. These are the people running our government. Sleep well…

d1carter on April 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM

The cost of seeing this person Nov 3 2010 after she has lost her reelection bid PRICELESS

thmcbb on April 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM

She’s not getting defeated, especially by a conservative. She’s from Florida 20. Obama carried the district 63-36% and it was carried by Kerry and Gore by the same or better margins.

The district is D+ 13 on Cook PVI. It’s solid Democrat gerrymandered.

amerpundit on April 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM

“She’s my Rep. and one of the dumbest broads in South Florida.”

It’s truly scary thinking about what kind of mental midgets elected her. God must love stupid people; he made so many!

GFW on April 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

It’s not dead, it’s restin’…

disa on April 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Katy:

PLEASE run against her…

HA members will have your back… Just run on ObamaCare…

Khun Joe on April 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM
Yes please katy.

I’ll set up a website for you and everything. Consider it a campaign donation.

Chaz706 on April 7, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Why thank you all! I am touched!
However, I have the diplomacy skills of a rabid pit bull. Do have my eye on a few lads and lassies here that need encouragement.

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

i just had a telephone townhall with my state Senator. yes, I am from rural Virginia. The South. don’t start on me.

anyway, about 90% of the calls were about obamacare. people are so frightened about losing their job due to increase tax pressure on businesses. and about jobs going overseas. the callers were scared & they were also pretty angry. and they will vote. Ha Ha Perriello!

kelley in virginia on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

The people in South Florida really elect morons and the problems is they check anyone who has a “Dem” by their name. I should know, I am surrounded by the morons and my representative was Maryland resident Rep. Wexler.
But as a true slimy politician, her statement may be a true, a partial truth. Not fully explaining it.
You are going to be penalized for not buying insurance, make no mistake. You are going to be categorized as someone who does not buy insurance, therefore, pay a higher tax rate. In other words, you will pay your penalty for noncompliance in the form of taxes.
So here is the problems, twofold. One, the penalty for noncompliance may be less than buying insurance. So, if there will be no preexisting condition or premium adjustment for preexisting conditions, what is to stop someone from not buying insurance until a major illness arises?
Second, if they are going to use this penalty to help fund this boondoggle, they can’t get blood from a stone, meaning 50% of American income earners do not even make enough to qualify to a paying taxbracket. So, where will the tax revenue come from? Tax paying middle class?

LadyGator88 on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

“Oh the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.”

OT- Bachmann and Palin on Hannity from the Minneapolis Convention Center.

redridinghood on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Guys, you still don’t get it.

drjohn on April 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Cloward-Piven.

disa on April 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

katy, know what you mean about diplomacy skills. my future Congressman might need me to be his “stand in” tomorrow night at our county Republican meeting. I just hope I don’t say what I really think about his opponents; even the Democrat.

kelley in virginia on April 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

drjohn on April 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

You have got it all figured out. Wasserman Shulz is one of the farthest left in congress. She really, really, prefers that people pay the cheaper fine than the premium. Then the insurance companies will go broke that much sooner, and uh, gee, all we’ve got left is the public option! Which in due course morphs into single payer because … everyone’s on it!! Debbie is a single payer system gal from the word go.

And those of you who think she’s stupid, I don’t know, I think she’s just evil, like Barney Frank. Incidentally, she’s one of the biggest fund raisers in the democratic party. Go figure!

chris999 on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

What a liar ! Her voters are fools . She will be re-elected by these idiots .

borntoraisehogs on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Blunt, crusty curmudgeonly speak is desperately needed now. Please go for it.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

ladygator: the money to fund obamacare will come from increased taxes on all of us in form of income taxes. and in form of VAT. betcha

kelley in virginia on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

The district is D+ 13 on Cook PVI. It’s solid Democrat gerrymandered.

amerpundit on April 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM

But the natives are getting restless. Let that SS check not sho on time, or for a nickel less. Ever seem someone beated to death with a walker?

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Hannity’s guests are a wet dream come true.
Oooops, damn. Me and my Tourettes.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Looks like half of the Twin Cities is jammed into that building with Hannity and THE LADIES!

Yoop on April 7, 2010 at 9:18 PM

What building are they in?

Yoop on April 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM

GFW on April 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

You are talking about the 50 million or so that elected Obama president, aren’t you?

docdave on April 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Can I choose not to observe the prohibition on murde. . . eh, don’t want be banned. (Was only typing hypothetically anyhow. No violence, people.)

Are these people simply out an out liars, or do they believe their own lies, in which case they have severe personality disorders. But then again, wanting to control others’ lives is a personality disorder.

rbj on April 7, 2010 at 9:19 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I hope you’re right, but Schultz and Democrats would probably just blame Republicans and call for higher taxes/new entitlements.

amerpundit on April 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM

LadyGator88 on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

We’re not South Florida anymore. We are South New York/NJ

Wolfen on April 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM

47% of Americans paid no taxes last year, are they the ones who will have to pay the penalty for having no insurance? Just askin.

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

LadyGator88 on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

If I’m not mistaken the folks paying the fine will be the taxpayers. The lower income folks get subsidies or are on medicaid. I see you have been reading drudge, LadyGator88. Did you happen to notice in that article where it says that 40% are actually receiving money from the government through things like earned income credits??!!

chris999 on April 7, 2010 at 9:22 PM

However, I have the diplomacy skills of a rabid pit bull.

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Same here. I’ve reconsidered my temporarily insane idea about knocking on doors in the neighborhood. Liberals make me lose my patience really quickly. Like the self-identified Republican black man at the Chevron. He calmly stated that Hannity and Limbaugh are always lying by not telling the whole story. I asked for an example, and he said there were too many to choose from. OK, I said, then give me as many examples that you can think of for each of them misprepresenting the truth. Nothing.

I told him he was full of it and walked away.

disa on April 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Democrats are the best because they persist on ignorance and fear.

daesleeper on April 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Loser.

Fishy.Gov on April 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I love democrats.

daesleeper on April 7, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Blunt, crusty curmudgeonly speak is desperately needed now. Please go for it.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

There is blunt, crusty and curmudgeonly, and then there is me. Passed that 20 years ago. I’m already working for Rubio. He’s got a few interesting people. I’m sure that Proud Rino doesn’t realize that most bi-lingual people in Florida are deeply conservative. We got some cool young’uns here. I’m going to try to get the Rev. Oneal Dozier to help. Do Google him. Terrific guy!

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM

“I’m not pi$$ing on the Constitution, I’m merely applying a protective coating using urine.”

badtemper on April 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM

This is exactly what the IRS said when the seized everything I owned 12 years ago: “You’re in a new tax bracket: the 100% tax bracket.”

I said, “Oh. Now that you put it that way. Gee, I’m sorry. I thought you were just blood-thirsty bastards looking to ruin my life because of your mistake.”

Rod on April 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hannity’s guests are a wet dream come true.
Oooops, damn. Me and my Tourettes.

OmahaConservative on April 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I’m gonna go watch Hannity. Good night.

Rod on April 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM

The difference in the “it’s like paying taxes” analogy is that there was a 16th Constitutional Amendment enacted to institute the income tax law.

Obamacare, on the other hand, is an un-Constitutional, illegitimate, over-reaching government power grab based on nothing but their slimy bravado and the naked idiocy of their constituency.

profitsbeard on April 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Just run on opposing Obama care and ask your constituents what they’d like. Just tell them a smidgen of whats in this law and they’ll line up behind you.

You’d be a lot better than 90 percent of the folks in congress if you did that. Go to bat for your folks. Breathe fire if you have to.

And yes… the offer was serious.

Chaz706 on April 7, 2010 at 9:33 PM

The district is D+ 13 on Cook PVI. It’s solid Democrat gerrymandered.

amerpundit on April 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM

The jokes on her. See..her district is also known as West Tel Aviv. Her boss just gave Israel the finger.

Survey says: Oy Vey!

BobMbx on April 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM

The courts and the HHS will be tangled in knots for decades before this monstrosity ever delivers one dollar in health care.

It’s almost Dickensian.

PattyJ on April 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

A perfect example of why the Democrats consistently move their agenda forward.

Stretching the truth just beyond the breaking point, never presenting their true agenda while couching in middle class mumbo jumbo.

This was obviously a rehearsed response based upon polling that shows they are worried about being up front about the implications of this health law.

If only the Republicans were even 1/8th as good at this type of dishonesty.

rickyricardo on April 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Palin/Bachman 2012!

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM

So… this means I won’t get thrown in jail when I go to the VA to see my PCP…kool…
What’s not to love…/s

jerrytbg on April 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Sven on April 7, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Nailed it!

DSchoen on April 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM

A UNION GOON ATTACKED SOMEBODY AT THIS MEETING!

THERE ARE PHOTOS!!

tetriskid on April 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

RUN KATY RUN…. Come on you can do it. We will get behind you. Give it a whirl, girl.

suzyk on April 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Palin/Patraeus

suzyk on April 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Great that people are showing up with the Constitution. I hope we see more pop quizes on both sides of the political fence.

We need a cheat sheet index as to the page number for all of the bad crap that is in the bill. Then when hacks like Debbie start misstating what we all know, someone can cite the page and read the section. Video tape the whole damn thing. Such a dissembling bunch of liars.

R Square on April 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM

LadyGator88 on April 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM

We’re not South Florida anymore. We are South New York/NJ

Wolfen on April 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM

So true – even my representative, Robert Wexler in FL District 19 (just north of Wasserman’s) was a northern snowbird. His primary residency was Maryland and he used his in law’s FL address as his official address. And he was still reelected after this was made public.

LadyGator88 on April 7, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Guys, you still don’t get it.

drjohn on April 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Cloward-Piven.

disa on April 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Their plan was just outlining the mechanisms necessary to implement a far older plan.

True_King on April 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM

And that’s the logic to counter the AGs from the states, “you are not required to carry health insurance, that you will simply be placed into a different tax category.”

That tax category will not provide you with an income tax refund if eligible.

Sorry, but this is a weak rejoinder that will not fly.

Captain America on April 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Pay no attention to the bill behind the curtain.

Alden Pyle on April 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Who elects these people!

So now they will just blatantly lie? I can’t stand these Liberal Hatefilled Left DemocRats!

CCRWM on April 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Taxpayers pay Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz a salary of $174,000 plus Congressional benefits.

With a salary like that, you would think we could expect her to READ THE BILL and the CONSTITUTION!

Surely somebody else is willing to apply for her job!

wren on April 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

kelley in virginia on April 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I’ve got bail money. Fear not!

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM

wren on April 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM”

A paltry sum! Barely covers her make-up tab.

katy the mean old lady on April 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Three words: Lying blonde bimbo.

WannabeAnglican on April 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I think Schultz might be in trouble again.
Col. Klink isn’t gonna like this one bit.

SCHUUUUULTZ!!!!