Who are the Tea Partiers?

posted at 8:48 am on April 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

For the past few months, media outlets have described Tea Party followers as racist, reactionary, Birthers, and just about every insult one could find in the dictionary.  CNN’s Anderson Cooper helped popularize a sexual slur as a description for the group that others in the media continue to use: teabaggers.  However, a new poll by the Winston Group of a thousand registered voters returned some surprising results, including the fact that 13% of the Tea Party followers are Democrats:

The national breakdown of the Tea Party composition is 57 percent Republican, 28 percent Independent and 13 percent Democratic, according to three national polls by the Winston Group, a Republican-leaning firm that conducted the surveys on behalf of an education advocacy group. Two-thirds of the group call themselves conservative, 26 are moderate and 8 percent say they are liberal.

The Winston Group conducted three national telephone surveys of 1,000 registered voters between December and February. Of those polled, 17 percent – more than 500 people — said they were “part of the Tea Party movement.” …

The group is united around two issues – the economy/jobs and reducing the deficit. They believe that cutting spending is the key to job creation and favor tax cuts as the best way to stimulate the economy. That said 61 percent of Tea Party members believe infrastructure spending creates jobs. Moreover, given the choice Tea Party members favor 63-32 reducing unemployment to 5 percent over balancing the budget.

Gallup follows with a new poll today showing that the demographics of the movement are more or less a snapshot of the US:

Tea Party supporters skew right politically; but demographically, they are generally representative of the public at large. That’s the finding of a USA Today/Gallup poll conducted March 26-28, in which 28% of U.S. adults call themselves supporters of the Tea Party movement.

Tea Party supporters are decidedly Republican and conservative in their leanings. Also, compared with average Americans, supporters are slightly more likely to be male and less likely to be lower-income.

In several other respects, however — their age, educational background, employment status, and race — Tea Partiers are quite representative of the public at large.

Is the Tea Party as racist as the media and leading Democrats have portrayed?  Gallup’s demos of the Tea Party look very close to that of the overall American demos on ethnicity.  Whites make up 79% of the Tea Party and 75% of the population; blacks, 6% of the Tea Party and 11% of the population; and “other” in the Tea Party exactly matches the general population at 15%.

The demographic similarities don’t stop there.  The educational background of Tea Party followers almost exactly matches that of the general population.  Among age demos, the differences between the two are no more than two points for any of the four categories used by Gallup.  The same is true of employment profiles, although ironically Tea Party followers tend slightly more to be employed full-time than not.  Income demographics differ a little more, but not by much.  Low-income earners (less than $30K) make up 19% of the Tea Party, as compared to 25% of the general population, and those making more than $50K are 55% of the Tea Party rather than the 50% of the general population, but that’s not much of a difference.

Last week, we discovered that CNN and MS-NBC continued to bleed viewers while Fox News continues to grow.  That may be a result of politically active Americans getting tired of being insulted by news networks that have sneeringly misrepresented a movement to which they belong or at least sympathize.  (via Andrew Malcolm)

Update: At TMV, Rick Moran says that the Democratic and media narrative on the Tea Party just “jumped the shark.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well darnit, big bad web bully Grow Fins tried to make me cry.

Email from big bad web bully:

I’ll be happy to call you a teabagger to your face. And your wife and daughter. Grandma too. She was the original teabagger. On granpa’s friends. LOL!

He/she/it just wouldn’t give me an address so he/she/it could do it to my face. Big bad scary meanie we have here.

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I am a tea partier. Have been since Rick Santelli lit the fire underneath 1,000 of us here in St. Louis last February. I am a wife, a mother to two fine young men, a taxpayer and up until now, never have been arrested.

I am tired of being demonized because I voice my opinions and concerns. They are on the losing side of history. You just can’t stop the truth.

manateespirit on April 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Mebbeso. But he doesn’t semm to get it, either.

I have been very critical of those in the tea party movement who seek to use anger and fear as a wedge to gain support for their cause. It is still my belief that reason wins a lot more converts than screaming, and fear mongering is self defeating – as seen by the failure to stop Obamacare. That vocal minority has done more damage to the tea party movement than most are willing to admit.

davidk on April 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I would just hate to see the org. become corrupted by a central power. The more these things can stay localized, the better.

JetBoy on April 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

The groups I have met have new LOCAL leaders. Many of them were high school leaders that got on with life. Most don’t want to one day run the GOP, they like working with local folks to effect local/State positions.

I think there is great hope that these new leaders will remain locally focused.

I do think the the GOP will be the benefitiary of the next 6 years. Any Democrat that says he does not love ObamaCare, is tarnished by the current group of Stupaks, Blue Dogs and Landrieu wavering. INCLUDING in school board elections.

If a lefty never wins his first city council/school board election, he will never win the Senate.

barnone on April 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Grow Fins on April 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

It’s a right step in the right direction, when you can admit your failures. ;)

That being said…Obama also CLAIMS that the UK, and Israel are allies, yet makes every attempt to destroy that. So what he says, and what he does, are vastly different things, and if you took the time to read outside of the mass liberal world of fallacy, you’d realize that already.

As you can see, the numbers are growing in discontentment with this President. Others saw before the election. Others after….but it’s growing. More, and more are seeing. Why don’t you?

capejasmine on April 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Fins would rather be waterboarded than admit that she was duped into voting for O’bama. Same applies to at least 90% of the rest of her party.

I’ms sure that Fins also does not find it amusing that O’bama has already “accomplished” in 14 months what it took Chimpy Bush 4 and a half years to do-have his job approval drop to 44%. That must really bite.

Del Dolemonte on April 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM

When we have a non-Black president the Tea Party will cease to exist. Simple as that.

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Such a racist.

Esthier on April 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Why do you National Socialist Moonbats continually obsess about race?

Can you explain why we disagree with Pelosi and Reid?

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM

davidk on April 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM

All you have to remember about Rick Moran is that his brother is Nightline host Terry Moran and that Apples do not magically eject themselves 20 miles from their tree.

Nahanni on April 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Bullspit, Decider has decided to be a race baiter. It has nothing to do with his race it has to do with policy. If we have a cracker in the white house that proposes bad policy the Tea Party will go after him too. Explain to me why the Tea Party is looking to replace all of the iresponsible elected officials that are white as well.

Blind_Mule on April 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM

When we have a government that listens to the people and stops all of this erroneous spending, then the tea party will cease to exist. It seems like the main message of the tea partiers is Stop the Spending.

texasconserv on April 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Uhh yeah. Cuz pre Jan 20, 2009 I loved high taxes and govt regulation. I only started hating taxes and regulation becaus a 1/2 black man is president.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Why do you National Socialist Moonbats continually obsess about race?

Can you explain why we disagree with Pelosi and Reid?

Still waiting for an answer…..

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I’ll be in DC on April 15. Any other HA’ers coming? It would be fun to meet up, if we can arrange it.

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I am the Tea Party. I’ve been to 4 events. I have spoken with congressmen. I used the words “please” and “thank you.” I expressed my concerns. I warned them and told them there would be real consequences for their actions. I told the truth.

I am not surprised by the denigration of this movement, I expect it. However, this is a theory that requires some degree of validation–validation that failed under the hand of nancy pelosi (swastikas), emmanuel cleaver (spitting/slurring), the MSM and many columnists. The theory is not holding water. The theory of the Tea Party is a snapshot of America needs to emerge, this poll shows some validation of that theory. Moreover, there is other evidence to support that outside of this poll. History for example, also supports grassroots efforts at preserving this country–as in the Boston Tea Party.

Validation

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Can you explain why we disagree with Pelosi and Reid?

You hate women.

You hate seniors.

You hate people whose last names start with P and R.

You hate men whose first names start with H.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Still waiting for an answer…..

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Don’t. It was just a troll comment, not one intended for any rational dialogue that can’t even be backed up. It’s best to ignore thoughtless people like this than to expect a response.

Esthier on April 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

You guy’s will have to tell me who the trolls are. I haven’t been on here in a while I’ve been busy planning TP’s for the past year. I think decider may be one tell me if I’m wrong.

Blind_Mule on April 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Born dumb or took advanced courses?

Bishop on April 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!
Look at those weird hair cuts, tattoos, and gang signs!!!!!!

Cybergeezer on April 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

lol…When you have nothing left, pull that race card out.

JetBoy on April 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Yes, but Obama is “the most debonair, the most suave president of the USA” ever, per the pastor of the Methodist Church the first family attended Sunday. Good to know!

silvernana on April 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

The address is in the headers. If you expand the headers to full you can see the IP address of the originating server, and the login identification of grow. From there, it’s merely a matter of getting/displaying grow’s billing screen from his/her ISP. If the e-mail address or the IP address references a private server, you can get either the domain records or do a rDNS on the IP address to find out the hosting ISP. From that point, you can do a lot with a bit of social engineering work — ask Sarah Palin about what happened to her.

Of course, if you want to help grow — now that (s)he’s provided an e-mail address — go sign up for a bunch of newsletters you think grow might be interested in. You don’t have to use your e-mail address and then forward to grow — that would be too inefficient….

People think they have privacy when they send e-mails or they comment here — they don’t.

unclesmrgol on April 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Who are the Tea Partiers?

They are you and me.

That’s what drives these wankers crazy – just ordinary people, not usually heard from en-masse until ballot time – honest, caring, scared, hard-working, everyday Americans fed up with the corrupt status quo. . . .

karra on April 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Erm… FAIL

President Obama said Tuesday that the “core” of the Tea Party may always think he’s a foreign-born Socialist, but he hopes to cool the piping hot conservatives over time.

“There’s still going to be a group at their core that question my legitimacy,” Obama told the “Today” show’s Matt Lauer of Tea Party followers, adding “there’s some folks who just weren’t sure whether I was born in the United States, whether I was a socialist.”

But Obama emphasized that he does’t want to paint Tea Party activists “in broad brushes” and that he still hopes to win them over – or at least address their concerns.

“I think that there’s a broader circle around that core group of people who are legitimately concerned about the deficit, who are legitimately concerned that the federal government may be taking on too much,” the President told Lauer.
Grow Fins on April 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

No, you and all other libs Obama still FAIL to understand the Tea Party movement. The core of something is the heart, the beginning, the basic substance of a thing. To say the Tea Party has at it’s core the birthers, racists, etc.is still to say that is what the Tea Party is ultimately about.
Wrong! You’ve got it backwards! Those are the fringe elements which by definition cannot be the core.
But for him and all the rest of his ilk (the MSM, libs, you) to admit that truth would be to admit you’ve all been spreading lies and that you are wrong. So wrong. So very wrong.

redslippers on April 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Blind_Mule on April 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM

They usually out themselves with stupid comments. Decider is at least playing one in this thread.

Esthier on April 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Can you explain why we disagree with Pelosi and Reid?

You hate women.
You hate seniors.
You hate people whose last names start with P and R.
You hate men whose first names start with H.
angryed on April 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Still waiting for an answer…..

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Esthier on April 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Oh, I realize that. It’s just my way of proving a point – or reinforcing a point for that matter.
Trolls usually don’t have an answer to questions like that, they can only spew their simplistically unintelligent comments and then scurry away.

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Here are my candidates for the Troll Hall of Shame:

Grow Fins
Decider
The Dean (“Hitler did some bad things probably…)
Dave Rywall

Who am I forgetting?

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Who are the Tea Partiers?

We are,

we are,

and
we are

Just_Vicki on April 5, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Here are my candidates for the Troll Hall of Shame:
Grow Fins
Decider
The Dean (”Hitler did some bad things probably…)
Dave Rywall
Who am I forgetting?
Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM

crr6? Who can forget this immortal posting from her:

We won! Kiss your freedoms goodbye cons! Bwhahahahaha!
crr6 on December 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM

We really do need a list of the current trolls just for heads up purposes.

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Decider on April 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Sniffing glue is never a good idea…

… I suggest you either stop, or get more glue.

Seven Percent Solution on April 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

<slaps forehead:gt;
Duh! How could I forget? crr6 is the troll so trollish she annoys the other trolls.
I guess I haven’t had enough coffee yet today. Thanks for the correction!

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM

unclesmrgol on April 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, but that’s not a problem unless the place where you use it is infested by lying cowardly trolls, but I repeat myself.

Up to several emails now, each more disgusting than the last. The link is to my hobby website rather than the work one, so its not so bad. I usually don’t check that email very often but released a new kit last week and some orders still come through that email address.

Growfins used a gmail address and its not worth the effort to track down…yet. And your other suggestion is something their kind does.

Trolls like this are just pathetic creatures whose only pleasure in life is to attack others. Even after their kind hold all the reins of power, they are not happy.

You cannot just ignore their vile comments all the time. They may wise up enough to post the kind of comments that other news outlets will use to smear all commenters.

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM

We really do need a list of the current trolls just for heads up purposes.

Chip on April 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I will second that.

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Thanks you guys, Now I know who to ignore. :)

Blind_Mule on April 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Thanks you guys, Now I know who to ignore. :)

Blind_Mule on April 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Glad to help!

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The Obamabots have made these Tea Party Democrats honorary Republicans due to racism, obviously.

Speedwagon82 on April 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM

While I’ve heard that the ‘net is a ‘digital microphone’ that amplifies popular sentiment and encourages snowballing effects, I’ve never seen it happen on such a scale.

Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Troll Hall of Shame (in no particular order)
crr6
Grow Fins
Decider
The Dean (“Hitler did some bad things probably”)
Dave Rywall

Part-time trollers:
hicsuget
AnninCA

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Good list. I’d add Ernesto as a part timer and Jimbo3 as a full timer.

And who could forget Bleeds Blue?

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

And who could forget Bleeds Blue?

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Hopefully, all of us.

Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I will always remember BB for one comment. The day the senate passed ObamaCare he said it was the first time his wife had smiled in months. I almost felt sorry for him….for about 10 seconds.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Sure, and without jet planes we wouldn’t be able to fly across the country in a few hours either. And if there weren’t telephones we would have to rely on the Pony Express.

tbear44 on April 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM

tbear44 on April 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Thank you Captain Obvious…or is that Captain Oblivious?

My point was that the Internet enables like-minded people to get together in a way like never before. To put it very bluntly, it helps people be mad and amplify their common sentiments – hence the ‘digital microphone’ effect. And then there’s the ease of organization it permits…

Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I will always remember BB [BleedsBlue]for one comment. The day the senate passed ObamaCare he said it was the first time his wife had smiled in months. I almost felt sorry for him….for about 10 seconds.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Whoa, whoa! Are you sure about that? I thought BleedsBlue got banned quite some time ago.

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I’d add Ernesto as a part timer and Jimbo3 as a full timer.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

You’re quite right on both counts! I have some hope for ernesto, but not much at all for Jimbo3.

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Yeah but the senate passed it in December. He was still around back then.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Yeah but the senate passed it in December. He was still around back then.

angryed on April 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Yes, you’re right. Thanks for jogging my memory. And gosh, how could I forget about simplesimon? I bookmarked the thread when he/she/it was banned. Feast on the glorious moment here.

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Better than ostracizing the trolls, if you are a Tea Party person or agree with their ideas then boycott the mainstream media. If you are upset at attacks against those who are patriotic and diagree with this administration then respond accordingly and tune them out. It works if enough people wise up and react.

volsense on April 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM

So much for the statement that Tea Partiers are unemployed and bored, soon to disappear once the jobs come back.

Koa on April 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM

“I must say this whole thing is a fascinating study in the power of mass instant communication. Without bloggers, e-mail, or any of a half-dozen things made possible by the Internet, the Tea Party wouldn’t exist.”
Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Yea!!!!
And some of them even read NEWSPAPERS!!!!
What’s up wi dat?

Cybergeezer on April 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM

And then there’s the ease of organization it permits…

Dark-Star on April 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Yea! Like this!!!!! Ain’t it GREAT?

Cybergeezer on April 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Well darnit, big bad web bully Grow Fins tried to make me cry.

Email from big bad web bully:

cozmo

What a freak.

Grow Fins on April 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

What a freak.

Grow Fins on April 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

You forgot lying coward pedophile troll.

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What a freak.

Grow Fins on April 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Hi FishWoman, Mr. Drywall, CRR66, Ann in CA, et al Trolls:

Few questions for all of you. Looking forward to your answers – however, I’m not holding my breath.

Have you ever considered the character flaw you’re afflicted with that compels you to visit HotAir everyday and spout your nonsense to an audience that, for the most past, sees each of you as complete idiots?

Do you actually think that anything you pound out on your keyboard will be seen as anything other than the ramblings of a madwoman/madman?

Is this what you do in real life – associate with people who view you as little more than dog poop they’ve stepped in?

Are you so desperate for attention in your otherwise dull and meaningless lives that this here – this abuse, scorn, and ridicule you face here day after day – is the only way you feel noticed – or worthy – or even visible?

Do you actually think your meandering comments are witty? Smart? Funny? Wise? Helpful? Worldly? In short, do you think that anything you have or ever will contribute to any topic here would be anything more than a complete waste of yours and the unfortunate readers time?

Have you ever considered what the hell is wrong with you?

Have you considered a shrink?

Looking forward to your usual reply

Rod on April 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Repeal everything Obama has signed. Thats what tea bagger is. The man is not in office legally and they know it, we know it. You want to repeal the health bill? There’s your ammunition.

johnnyU on April 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Rod on April 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

It is called agitation. It is insane, there is no rational response to it.

Try their idiotic method at a lefty site and see how quickly you get banned.

daesleeper on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM

jbh45 on April 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

We live in an area where cell phone coverage is spotty & digital TV signals are hard to get.
When everything went digital, we tried to make it work with the box & found out we needed a new outside antenna. So we bought one only to discover that this fancy new digital signal totally sucked.
Oh sure , when you’re getting the signal, it’s a nicer picture, but the digital signal isn’t nearly as strong & reliable as the analog signals were.
Same goes with cell signals. The old analogs worked great. New digitals: SUCK.
I pine for analog.
I do not need awesome graphics or a crystal perfect image.
I just want the old reliable back. :(

Badger40 on April 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Have you ever considered what the hell is wrong with you?

Have you considered a shrink?

Looking forward to your usual reply

Rod on April 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

These people are narcissists & probably free loaders to some degree.
It is always YOU that are the problem.
They can never look to themselves & their own ways.
It’s all about you.

Badger40 on April 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Ed, don’t forget the Tea Partiers also include THOSE CRAZY BIRTHERS who have the irrational belief Barack’s home country is Kenya. Crazy huh? I mean if it was, his wife might have mentioned it, right?

OOPS, she DID: