Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on April 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

One of my favorite tasks in English classes was diagramming sentences. As an editor in a technical-publications group in the defense industry, this came in very handy, as engineers aren’t necessarily famed for their adherence to the rules of grammar. Once I had to rewrite a sentence of 106 words that managed to include everything but a verb.  However, even I would break out into a cold sweat if required to diagram this sentence:

A lot of people have asked, why is it you seem so calm?

And what I’ve tried to say often — and a lot of times this gets discounted in the press — is that the experience of having traveled throughout this country; having learned the stories of ordinary folks who are doing extraordinary things in their communities, in their neighborhoods; having met all the people who put so much energy and effort into our campaign; having seen the ups and downs and having seen how Washington was always the last to get what was going on, always the last to get the news — what that told me was that if we were willing to not do what was expedient, and not do what was convenient, and not try to govern based on the polls today or tomorrow or the next day, but rather based on a vision for how we can rebuild this country in a way that works for everybody — if we are focused on making sure that there are ladders of opportunity for people to continue to strive and achieve the American Dream and that that’s accessible to all, not just some — if we kept our eye on what sort of future do we want for our kids and our grandkids so that 20 years from now and 30 years from now people look back on this generation the way we look back on the Greatest Generation and say to ourselves, boy, they made some tough decisions, they got through some tough times, but, look, we now have a clean energy economy; look, our schools are revitalized; look, our health care system works for every single American — imagine how tough that was and how much resistance they met from the special interests, but they were still willing to do it — if that was how we governed, then I figure that the politics would take care of itself.

And I thought the 106-word sentence was bad!  This is almost three times as long, although it does have a couple of actual verbs in it that aren’t part of a subordinate clause, specifically is and figure.  Almost everything else is part of a series of conditionals that remind me of the ObamaCare bill.  If we ignore reality, and if we ignore human nature, and if we forget the fact that the cost of every government entitlement program has far outstripped initial estimates, then maybe it won’t be a disaster.   Obama manages to offer one of the world’s biggest run-on sentences with absolutely no substance within it.

How does he stay so calm?  Maybe he just talks to himself until he falls asleep.

Comments

he’s a ramblin man.

jbh45 on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Running-on, empty.
=========================================

Jackson Browne – Running On Empty – Live Radio 2004

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Yawn!

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

cool…

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM

All talk, no content, what else did you expect from Obama?

Daggett on April 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

this is what he probably sounded like in his classroom…

yikes! what notes would you be able to take?

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

That sentence tells me that Dear Liar does have a vision for America and that He is going to impose it on us, despite us not wanting it.

“Shut up, I know what is best for you dummies.”

rbj on April 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

“Obama manages to offer one of the world’s biggest run-on sentences with absolutely no substance within it.”

Ha, now that is the story of his life and you don’t even need access to write it.

Dusty on April 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Remember when we had to jiggle the handle to stop the constant running?

Rovin on April 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Rovin on April 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

lololol

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Never in the course of human events has so little been said by so much to so many.

apostic on April 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Well played.

rogerb on April 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Barrack Hussein Øbummer: writing history before it’s even accomplished.

ExpressoBold on April 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

============================================
Sounds just like Obama’s Presidentcy!

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Well played.

rogerb on April 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

rogerb:)

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Let’s sum up Obama’s presidency in two words….

ONE-TERM

txag92 on April 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM

It’s not exactly “ask not what your country can do for you”.

LibTired on April 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Let’s sum up Obama’s presidency in two words….

ONE-TERM

I can do it in one: FigureheadwithdelusionsofadequacyandutterdusdainforAmericanwhilebendingovertowelcomesothersocialiststoraidandpillagewhat’sleftofAmericanExceptionalism.

See? No run on sentence and plenty of substance!

SeniorD on April 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM

The chip that holds the grammar widget for his teleprompter must’ve gotten fried.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

The truth of the matter is that Mr. President’s “tough decisions” can be summed up in one short sentence. He has repeatedly ignored the will of the people, trampled on their rights as citizens, and thrown America into a never ending pit of debt. The scary part is that he’s not done yet.

scalleywag on April 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

He left out one really important conditional – “if we can figure out how to pay for all this”. Because without that, we’ll be leaving our children and grandchildren an ‘unclean planet’ and a broke country that can’t afford even to defend itself.

ProfessorMiao on April 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Seriously, the man is a living breathing filibuster that would make Mr. Smith blush with envy.

Filibuster: Specifically, it is a form of obstruction in a legislature or other decision-making body whereby a lone member can elect to delay or entirely prevent a vote on a proposal.

Obama has reached one of the highest forms of Narcissum, where listening to himself talk is as addictive as that cigarette he can’t control. It’s no wonder Biden keeps his earplugs handy.

Rovin on April 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Mother told me thousand-word sentences make your lips purple.

Yoop on April 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

How does he stay so calm? Maybe he just talks to himself until he falls asleep.

Thank goodness he has to pause to breathe once in a while or he’d lull himself into a coma.

DrAllecon on April 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM

More Obamanure.

MaiDee on April 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

One of my favorite tasks in English classes was diagramming sentences.

Masochist. ;)

The first time I was introduced to the horror that is sentence diagramming, I was a freshman in high school. Waaay over my head at that point. It wasn’t until somewhere around my senior year that I finally got my mind wrapped around it…I think.

I don’t know if y’all are familiar with the website onesentence.org, but this rambling monstrosity would totally be rejected.

lonesome_pine on April 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Since I can’t stand to listen to the Won, I used to switch to mute. Then it got so bad I had to switch channels. Now I barely watch TV anymore afraid that even on the most unwatched channels that his Countinence might show up. This president is a dangerous joke!

BetseyRoss on April 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

It’s not exactly “ask not what your country can do for you”.

LibTired on April 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Wonder if it will make James Taranto’s “Great Orators Of the Democratic Party” series. (scarey scarey)

apostic on April 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

My nephew came in this weekend for Easter, he and I could not talk, he just LOVESSSSSSS the one. He thinks it great that he will not have to pay for his health care. I pointed out to him that he may not pay for it yet, but I am, also when he finishes college then Law school expect 50 to 70% of his earnings to be taken away from him in taxes so he could then support others health care. He just could not see it.

Teleycoman on April 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

BetseyRoss on April 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Not even the “What’s New on Dish Network Today” channel is safe.

Yoop on April 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Did he answer the question? I couldn’t tell.

tru2tx on April 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

This guy says it with a lot more panache:

JimK on April 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Well, given the propensity of the press towards biblical references for Dear Leader, I suppose the Tower of Babel had to roll around eventually.

trubble on April 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

105 words and he didn’t even answer the question

20 years from now and 30 years from now people look back on this generation the way we look back on the Greatest Generation and say to ourselves, boy, they made some tough asinine decisions,

20-30 years from our decedents will be asking us what freedom was and how we were the generation that managed to let it be destroyed by electing this guy President.

Beaglemom on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Sorry, 106.

Beaglemom on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM

he’s a ramblin man.

jbh45 on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Lord, he was born a ramblin’ man
Poor little Barry doin the best he can
To turn this country into Uzbekistan
lord he was born a ramblin man….

viviliberoomuori on April 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM

BetseyRoss on April 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Invest in a TIVO or your cable system’s DVR. I record everything and watch it later and when this fool starts yammering, I fast forward through it. I even recorded MSU-Butler this weekend and started watching it a half-hour into the game. It came in handy when this fool dominated the half-time show – I just fast forwarded through it.

PatMac on April 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Vapor from a vapid man.

In fairness however, we talk a lot diferently than we write. Had he written this gallimaufry it would be much worse than having spoken it, as bad as it is.

Akzed on April 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I’m far more tired of his run-on presidency.

TXUS on April 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Sorry, 106.

Beaglemom on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM

It’s actually 304:

President Obama accomplished an amazing feat of loquacity, uttering one single sentence containing 304 words.

tru2tx on April 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM

JimK on April 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

That has to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard!

tru2tx on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

HOW? I know that his disciples don’t think about the mechanics of anything, but how does he figure this? How does it “take care of itself”? What makes him think he’s “governing”? Is demonizing Israel and his opponents considered “governing”?

mjk on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

He just could not see it.

Teleycoman on April 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

just wait til he gets his first paycheck

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

It reminds me of some of Ted Kennedy’s oratory during the 1980 primary. His use of so many words to say so little was nicely lampooned in Doonesbury with a reporter prodding him, “A verb, Senator. We need a verb.”

jwolf on April 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Bleah…..

ladyingray on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM

It’s called diarrhea of the mouth.

rbj on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Right Ed,he loves to hear himself talk and the media plays along…Hey Mr. Prez.,you are calm because you lack the conscience to be concerned about anything that is going on around you.

ohiobabe on April 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Teleycoman on April 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I was laughing inside at one of my friends this weekend. She LURVES this guy. She doesn’t understand the issues. I work in health insurance (and at one point for Medicare) and she just can’t figure out what I’m saying when I say that the HCR is going to be a huge clusterf*ck.

Then again, she was telling a story about being in Africa and talking to a Muslim man who was all peaceful and junk towards Christians. I suspect the Jews never came up. She thinks that if the Israelis and the Palestinians just get together and talk, everything would be hunky dory. (apparently the other times they talked were just warm ups)

mjk on April 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Would be nice if he traveled the country and talked to everyone, not just the peeps that voted for him. He might learn a thing or two.

And when did we decide that our country needed to be “re-built”?

ctmom on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM

teleycoman: Your nephew must be counting on being covered with health insurance until he is 27 so that he can be a perpetual student whose education and needs are covered by other people’s money. He should read Michael Barone’s brief column about how his choices will be limited in ObaMao’s “brave new world,” a world without hope and lots of limitations: http://article.nationalreview.com/430273/change-but-no-hope/michael-barone

Technically, Ed, ObaMao’s response is not a run-on. It is riddled with lots of conditional clauses and parenthetical interruptions, but ultimately no substance in addressing the question. His fan club sees these verbal gymnastics as evidence of his complex thought processes. They are, however, his mastered method of inserting talking points and avoiding the essential point. I see ObaMao’s method as the jet-puffed marshmallow style: filled with air and sticky sweet, nutritionaless substance.

onlineanalyst on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM
cool…

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM

cmsinaz:)

canopfor on April 5, 2010 at 9:22 AM

And I thought the 106-word sentence was bad! This is almost three times as long, although it does have a couple of actual verbs in it that aren’t part of a subordinate clause, specifically is and figure. Almost everything else is part of a series of conditionals that remind me of the ObamaCare bill.

Ed, you fail to grasp the point in The Won’s utterances: string them out for as long as possible (i.e., practice verbal filibustering) in order to have to answer as few questions as possible. Plus, he loves the sound of his own voice.

ya2daup on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM

The funniest part of the whole sentence was the first line — “And what I’ve tried to say often …”

He’s tried to say this often. Oh boy.

bluesman on April 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Every day, in every way, we are so screwed by having this excretory lump smear his fecal essence on this once great Republic.

SKYFOX on April 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

He has nothing to say and he says it well.

docdave on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Ed, they no longer teach diagraming sentences in school, I went to Catholic school where I was taught by and old nun, Sister Helen, everyday she made us diagram sentences and read from the “white sheets” which were pages that defined the parts of speech. Still gives me nightmares.

Daveyardbird on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Glenn Reynolds has the best explanation of how shallow is the thinking of the self-annointed progressives: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/Sunday_Reflections/Progressives-can_t-get-past-the-Knowledge-Problem-89780997.html

With all of their do-goodism and flowery rhetoric, they cannot get past the “Knowledge Problem,” described by Hayek.

onlineanalyst on April 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Let’s hope he continues to go around the country pushing this monstrocity,people MIGHT start seeing him for what he is,a total empty suit who hates America. Rush said it a few weeks ago…At some point he will say something off prompter and it will be on tape for all to hear.

ohiobabe on April 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

“And I hope that answered my rhetorical question to myself,” he then added.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

just wait til he gets his first paycheck

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Giggle…. be sure to get video.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Obama is the type who, when asked “What time is it?”,
would first go into the history of the clock,
starting with the sundial, on to the hourglass,
then how the main spring in a clock works,
before getting around to saying, “It’s 10:15.”
Then he’d be wrong, since 12 minutes have gone by.</strong>

mrt721 on April 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Daveyardbird on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Sister Mary Camilla would have slapped the crap out of the Won. She was about 4.5 with a backhand to shame Vanessa Williams.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM

So, that’s what made you so mean. ;-)

Yoop on April 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Proverbs 10:19

When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)

davidk on April 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Already tuned out of whatever Obama speaks.

Now I’ll have to ‘tune out’ whatever the transcript of what Obama said / says.

/Thin I’ll miss much of anything substantial?

Sir Napsalot on April 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM

So, that’s what made you so mean. ;-)

Yoop on April 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Naw, she was one of the best teachers I ever had. You took that in stride in the ’50′s. If you whined about it at home, the parents did’t run to a lawyer. I still put flowers on her rave every time I’m in town.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM

err…grave

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM

\”To the man whose only tool is a hammer, he sees every problem as a nail.\”This is Obama\’s only tool. Rambling, incoherent prattle meant to lull you into a hypnotic trance and agree with his post-hypnotic suggestions. Oh, and to bore the crap out of you too.

MagicalPat on April 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Naw, she was one of the best teachers I ever had. You took that in stride in the ’50’s. If you whined about it at home, the parents did’t run to a lawyer. I still put flowers on her rave every time I’m in town.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I had Nuns in grade school and Brothers in high school (also the 50′s) and I remember many shots to the back of the head with flung erasers and snappy rulers. Yep, them were the good-ol’-days. :-)

Yoop on April 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM

He’s explaining his myopic vision for us of the American he sees in our futures and our childrens’ futures and how wonderful all our lives will be because of his wonderfulness and how hard he worked to give us all his dream of the utopia we all so greatly desired but were unable to achieve on our own without his guidance and direction and hard work and how we should all be ever so greatful that we had such a hard working visionary doing all these wonderful things that we should rename the Greatest Generation or teleport it to his legacy generation that will live on in infamy forever…or something like that.

Kissmygrits on April 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Slap a Texas accent on it and the bien pensants would be howling.

Tzetzes on April 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM

did it take Barry 17 minutes to answer the question?

Remember how the leftists told us what a dope Palin is because of her rambling sentences? The bar has been raised.

Mallard T. Drake on April 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Maybe you heard a lot of babbling and pomposity, but it seems to me he waved his hand and said, “These aren’t the ‘droids you’re looking for.”
That stuff will always work on weak minds.

Tom_OC on April 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Wow, another run on sentence. He does this all the time. He loves the sound of his own voice. 17 minute answer to a question. Speaking as a parent of teenagers, when they talk that long…you know they are lying! Just a heads up!

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM

The most daunting aspect of this is that we still have at least 2 1/2 years more for Obama to try to best his best. I’m not sure I’m up to the challenge.

KendraWilder on April 5, 2010 at 10:55 AM

txag92 on April 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I’ll do you one better and sum it up in one word.

FAIL.

chemman on April 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Yowser that was like trying to decipher some really bad spaghetti code. Wasn’t there some famous quote about dazzling ‘em with bullsh!t?

Sharke on April 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM

It’s gotten to the point that when this fraudulent buffoon speaks, I try to search for even a partial kernel of some truth, just for the mere sporting challenge.
I have to admit total failure up to this point.
What I now fear is that unlike any other acquired skill, the Nitwit-in-Chief is making improvement impossible.

ontherocks on April 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Obamagpie.

LarryG on April 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM

How does he stay so calm? Maybe he just talks to himself until he falls asleep.

Bahahahahahahaha!!! To funny! LOL

The man sure can talk. Anyone see Fox and Friend this morning, showing the clip of Obama giving a 17 minute answer to a question. One question about higher taxes, the man drones on for 17 minutes, and NEVER freakin answered the question. Unbelievable. I’m 100% certain now, that this man is inlove with the sound of his own voice.

capejasmine on April 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Obamachild loves to listen to his own lullabies. He firmly believes ‘his’ country is stupid.

having seen how Washington was always the last to get what was going on

Hint – you still don’t get it, and never will, snob.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Miracle that the interminable phrase, or whatever it is, doesn’t contain a bunch of “…get what was goin’ on“.

Somehow he forgot to drop the Gs.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

He’s “no ways taared”, but the country is.

Schadenfreude on April 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM

He started this sentence with “and”. This was in addition to what? Maybe we really don’t want to know!

All those clauses saying “having” done this and that–maybe that’s EgObama’s way of not using “I” so often.

He did get something right:

The last guy in Washington to get the news is Barack Hussein the First.

Three-word news flash, hot off the presses!

Obama Care Sucks!

Got it, Mr. Logorrhea? (Like diarrhea, only with words).

Steve Z on April 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Anybody even read “The Elements of Style”? Professor Strunk’s most important rule was OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS.

radjah shelduck on April 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM

no substance

Well, he’s consistent.

GarandFan on April 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM

ObaMao never answered the question. Typical.

If anyone had interrupted that diatribe, ObaMao would have had to hit the reset button and started from the top.

“Brevity is the soul of wit.” Wm. Shakespeare
The trouble is that we have a nitwit in the WH.

onlineanalyst on April 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM

“imagine how tough that was and how much resistance they met from the special interests”

Since all the special interest groups are on board with Obama Care, I suppose he must consider the American people “special interests”.

azkenreid on April 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

ontherocks on April 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

So you’re the child who dug through the pile of manure looking for the pony that “just had to be in there somewhere”?

ya2daup on April 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

“Brevity is the soul of wit.” Wm. Shakespeare
The trouble is that we have a nitwit in the WH.

onlineanalyst on April 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Were he alive, Willy and aware of The Won, Willy would say, “Levity is the bane of a nitwit.”

ya2daup on April 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

So basically he’s a “day dreamer” who doesn’t want to get involved in the day-to-day realities of his job.

Kinda sorta like voting “present” as President.

Hey where’s my flying car!

DSchoen on April 5, 2010 at 3:34 PM

It’s actually 304:tru2tx on April 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Thanks.I It was wishful thinking that he could actually answer something with only 106 words.

Beaglemom on April 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It’s gotten to the point that when this fraudulent

ontherocks on April 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

ya2daup on April 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I think it’s not a pile anymore, really more like the entire
equine production in the state of Kentucky. That’s a conservative estimate, however./

ontherocks on April 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Teleycoman on April 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Here’s a cruel idea to introduce your kids to reality.

If your paying them for chores or giving them an allowance, start taxing it just like the government.

If they normally get a $20, subtract 30% Fed Tax ($6.00) 15% State tax ($3.00) 7% FICA ($1.40), 5% SDI ($1.00)

$6.00 + $3.00 + $1.40 + $1.00 = 11.40

They earn $20 and get $8,60

Oh and if they still support more taxes you can deduct Obama care.

Depending on income $146.00 to $240.00 a month
Fed minimum wage is $7.25 per hour so that works out to 12%.

12% of $20 is $2.40

So, they earn $20 and get $8,60 and with Obama care they get $6.20!

Earn $20, pocket $6.20!

That would be a fine “how do you do!” welcome to the real world!

DSchoen on April 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM