Just a reminder: Boycotting the census means fewer Republican House seats

posted at 8:57 pm on April 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

We don’t need this reminder, actually: The Plum Line, a lefty site, crunched the numbers today and discovered that many very conservative districts are turning in their forms at a rate equal to or greater than the national average. But since it never hurts to nudge, here’s Rove’s new PSA following Patrick McHenry’s lead in urging conservatives to do the Madisonian thing and send it in. I honestly can’t understand how this, of all things, became some sort of favored form of civil disobedience among grassroots righties. The feds already know where you live; the annual 1040, which we’re all buried under right now, is a much greater invasion of privacy than the census is. What exactly is the goal here, apart from some kamikaze desire to drive down the number of red districts in Congress?

True story about my own census experience: I filled it out the day that I received it and mailed it back the next morning. Less than a week later, I received a second copy of the census form; just today, more than two weeks after sending it in, I got a postcard reminding me to make sure I fill out my census form. Good work, feds.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gee, what could have made the situation so contentious that people would actually consider not answering the census? Is it Mr. Post-racial, post-partisan himself?

daesleeper on April 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

The census is required by the Constitution. Just answer the damned thing and send it in.

rickyricardo on April 5, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Less than a week later, I received a second copy of the census form

Was it the same form you filled out before, or the longer one?

I received one that asked a lot more questions than the original about a week after the first one. It had the same penalty for not filling out warning but was addressed to “resident at” instead of me personally.

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Look, the census is constitutional. Fill out the constitutional portions of it and leave all the other stuff alone. Who cares how many filipinos, laotians, guatemalens or whatever I’ve got livin in the basement (12, if you’re wondering and ACORN helped me get em there).

This crap about failing to send it in is bunk, most turned on people know that an incomplete census is just as telling as one that isn’t sent it, probably more so. What..are the feds going to not count my census because I didn’t say who was white/black/pink/green/yellow….ummm, probably not. If they do, then they’re acting unconstitutionally. They are supposed to do a ‘head count’ like this 1..2…3.4..and so on. It ain’t 1 black, 2 white, 3 indian, 4 asian, no matter how much they think it’s so, it ain’t.

screed off.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

We got two postcards telling us that our Census was on the way. Mind numbing idiocy.

And now they get to make health decisions for us, too, so… bonus.

BadgerHawk on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Just wait for O-Care. Grandma is going to overdose on her once a month osteoporosis pills.

MB4 on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM

There should be a follow up census to count the crybabies who didn’t fill in the first one.

Dave Rywall on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Dave Rywall on April 5, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Hey Canada, STFU

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM

eh, the feds are just taking advantage of the fact they probably force the post office to deliver all that stuff for free.

If you fill out more than one form, will we be counted twice? :)

karenhasfreedom on April 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I was not one for fully boycotting the census…

I’ve always been for answering the first question and that was it, which I did.

Enoxo on April 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Ugh. How disappointing that Bachmann is taking this route. I also blame Beck and Napolitano for this anti-census defiance. Beck also ginned up anti-vaccine hysteria during the H1N1 period.

I had a far more intrusive form in 2000 which asked all sorts of things like how much heating oil we consumed in a year, how far we commuted and so forth. This year’s census is relatively innocuous and took about 2 minutes to fill out.

Buy Danish on April 5, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I have no problem with the Census. It is supposed to be a head count, but the other questions are non-threatening, and provide what can be useful data. Does anybody really believe that Pelosi , Rahm, Obama etc… are looking to find out data about you specifically? You are no more important in the Census than you are between elections. They are not there for you.

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hey Canada, STFU

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM
——-
Awww, look the little American girl wrote some bad words.

Dave Rywall on April 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

My census form was delivered by a census worker who could have just asked me how many people live here. It would have taken 30 seconds.

Skandia Recluse on April 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I filled mine out and mailed it away and got another in the mail this week.

marmaran on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Fill out the second one too. Put “Allahpundit” instead of your real name.

Mark1971 on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I didn’t get a form in the mail. I got a lady that barely spoke English at my door. I had to fill it out because she can’t spell American names (her words, not mine). I live in a newer middle-class neighborhood on the outskirts of what amounts to a Mexican town (well within the Texas border). She told me that she was told there wouldn’t be any English speakers. Our house was the first on her route and I said that almost everyone in the neighborhood were Americans and spoke English.

I wonder how she made out.

Our town was only having door-to-door because they were afraid too many people would be afraid to turn in the census.

cibolo on April 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I live in moonbat central (for now).

Me not filling out the census hurts the left, period.

In fact it might push Massachusetts into losing a House seat – a result I greatly desire.

So I’m not filling the damned thing out.

Rebar on April 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM

They are not there for you.

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

true, but they’re there for us. We demand representation, and what do we get? The friggin shaft…BOHICA…denigration. Then, they want all kinds of nice information that they can use…well, see what it’s like to want… Trust and respect is a two way street. I’d be far more willing to fully comply if I sense that I was getting represented in Congress. I don’t get that sense and most agree.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Filled mine out and sent it in at least a week ago. I have another ” school survey” type question if I may be allowed to ask:

Part of the school forms this year- says it is a federal requirement and if you don’t fill it out a school observer will for you.

Sec 1: Is this student hispanic/latino?
No. Yes.
Sec 2
What is the students race? choose 1 or more
American Indian
Black or African American
White
Asian
Native Hawaiian of other PI

Is this for federal school funding? Why does Latino/Hispanic get its own section?
Will your hispanic/latino population determine how nice your federal school funding will be?

journeyintothewhirlwind on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Actually, wouldn’t it be advantageous if conservatives who live in liberal areas didn’t send it back?

Mark1971 on April 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Slightly OT but Rove’s book is excellent.

Dingbat63 on April 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

nice try troll bait, go find your bridge.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Two words.

Glenn Beck

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Yes. We get a crap load of fed money and out high school has a drop out rate of +30% and 85% of the sophomores actually FAILED the TAKS (Texas standard test) last year.

But you should see what awesome cars are in the school parking lots. I’m talking BMW’s and the like in an area where the “average” price of a home is around $40,000.

cibolo on April 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Mark1971 on April 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

It would seem so.

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

nice try troll bait, go find your bridge.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM

It helps if you identify who is trolling… :)

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

What if you are in a liberal area?

jukin on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Oops! “out” should be our.

cibolo on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don’t disagree. Don’t cut your nose off to spite your face. Our time for payback is November.

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

The census is Constitutional. Congress, per the Constitution, can dictate how/what form the census takes.

Art 1, Sec 2: An] Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Fill it out, send it back in.

Simple

catmman on April 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Fill out the form and put down “American” as your race. That should help deal with “Screw you Obama/liberals” feelings.

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

the troll in question understands.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

gotcha. :)

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Dave Rywall on April 5, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Look what we have here. Davie must be working the dayshift these days in the kitchen at Tim Horton’s.

Aviator on April 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Yeah, you don’t boycott it. You lie and double the number of people in your household.

Jaibones on April 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Wait ’till you get the American Community Survey(the long form census). It is terribly intrusive. It has nothing to do with representation.

d1carter on April 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I answered the questions, sans the phone number. For race, I put AMERICAN. Will they send someone to my front door to see what color I am?

karenhasfreedom on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I’m not. Do 5 black guys equate to more congressional seats than 5 asian guys? vice versa? Nope, same same same. Enumeration means count. They aren’t going to throw out an incomplete form, they’ll count whats on it and the rest of the fields go blank in the database and are dealt with as “missing data.”

No bohica

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

lol

Same here. And I’m moving in a month, so they can’t even show up and check with their ACORN (or whatever they’re rebranding themselves as) thugs abusing me.

darii on April 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I answered just a few of the questions. None of the other ones was necessary.

SouthernGent on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I’m no longer a color, I’m now a multiracial blend of Irish, English, and Dutch. That ought to be its own category–let’s throw off this “white” stuff and start our own categories… “European-Americans” “Scandanavian-Americans”

hyphens—works for us too

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Same here. I shudder to think of how much $$$$$$ has been wasted on the census.

JusDreamin on April 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Going to fill out my census but will not input non-required information.

Drudge: Obama, no nukes even in self-defense.

Wonderful, thank you 53%.

carbon_footprint on April 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

No bohica

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Agreed. Just give them an accurate count.

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I filled it out and sent it back. No big deal IMHO.

BTW: Red headline on Drudge…Obama says NO NUKES EVEN IN SELF DEFENSE.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

BTW: Red headline on Drudge…Obama says NO NUKES EVEN IN SELF DEFENSE.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I sure hope that extra congressman i get for filling out my census can protect me now…../

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Just like a POW. All they got from us was name, rank and serial number.

Dandapani on April 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM

daesleeper on April 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

No. It’s called using emotion instead of reason – pretty much the M.O. of the tea party these days, unfortunately.

NoStoppingUs on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I’m jealous. I don’t even HAVE a basement.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM

That is why everyone who fills it out should put at least 15 people in their household. And list themselves as a minority. You could pick up 2 or 3 more seats.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I am finding myself, as an enumerator

Knocking on doors with people home who IGNORE ME.

It’s a mistake.

The info people provide on the census can be found.

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM

We first got the letter telling us the census would be arriving soon, then we got the census, mailed it back, got another form telling us we should have recieved the census by now, then we got another census form.
Yeah, good freaking job, feds.

Emily M. on April 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM

BTW: Red headline on Drudge…Obama says NO NUKES EVEN IN SELF DEFENSE.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

LOL, we’ll be lucky to have a country to vote in in 2012.

That dumb bastard is gonna get a lot of people killed.

Midas on April 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM

The Devil is in the details.

Seems like if BlueBlues (from a blue district in a blue state) GOPers boycott the Census, the effect would be to promote more red districts in red states… It’s not like their vote really counts for much anyway. Letter to their Congresscritters are ignored… Wouldn’t the best ‘vote’ be to not return the Census?

The fine print here is this whole Census (Gerrymandersing) system has become so corrupt — the Census workers can tweak the results towards Obamacrats by spending more time in blue districts and blue states making up people.

Solution — Alternate between District representation and elections at large for any state, or just at large.

There’s nothing in the Constitution that says Congresscritters have to come from a district, only that State’s get X # of critters based upon their population in relation to other states.

At large elections would require every Congresscritter to run, no more safe districts, fewer idiots in Congress because they come from a gerrymandered idiot-safe district.

drfredc on April 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Good work, feds

our tax money at work….nice

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Less than a week later, I received a second copy of the census form

Was it the same form you filled out before, or the longer one?

cozmo on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Yeah, me, too.

I mailed in the Census by/on the deadline date (last week).

I received another form a day later along with the second version from the Department of Commerce (that makes TWO ADDITIONAL “census” forms, to equal three total so far).

So, obviously, the second mailings (two versions, another Census along with this other version of the census from the Commerce Dept.) were sent out long before the deadline for the first one.

There hasn’t been any pause to indicate anyone’s “waited” for people to fulfill the deadline-respose on the first mailings….

That means there are now going to be multiple Census forms filled out by millions of Americans IF everyone continues to respond to the first, second and now third form…

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Why is it that everything 0 does cost us so much more? The 2000 census cost $15.99 per person (up a third over the 1996 census) and the 2010 census is estimated to cost $46.93?

Oleta on April 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I’m filling them all out.

They’re all mailed to me, my address, so I’m filling them all out. Mailing them all (each) in.

Marked family size and race and that’s it.

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Correction, the 2000 census was up almost 50%. But the 2010 is 3 times as much as 2000.

Oleta on April 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I’m jealous. I don’t even HAVE a basement.

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM

when i gots my house from the ACORN peeps, I told them that i needed a basement for my “business” if you know what i mean…///

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM

BTW: Red headline on Drudge…Obama says NO NUKES EVEN IN SELF DEFENSE.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

*banging head against keyboard* UGHHHHHHHH!
====
he’s like a nice yellow lab who invites the burgular to come on in and show him where the silver is kept…

cmsinaz on April 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM

BTW: Red headline on Drudge…Obama says NO NUKES EVEN IN SELF DEFENSE.

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Carter can go die in piece now. He is off the hook. I will be the lone nut climbing the border fence headed in a southerly direction.

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Yeah, good freaking job, feds.

Emily M. on April 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Yeah, also my experience. Only I got:

(1.) post card #1 advising me of Census coming my way;
(2.) Census #1 arrived;
(3.) Mailed Census #1 by deadline;
(4.) Received another card advising me that Census was on it’s way;
(5.) Received second Census [#2];
(6.) Received Census #3 from new source (U.S. Dept. of Commerce);
(7.) Completed Census #2 and #3 and mailed them;
(8.) Received yet another card advising me that Census was on it’s way.

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I am finding myself, as an enumerator

Knocking on doors with people home who IGNORE ME.

It’s a mistake.

The info people provide on the census can be found.

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM

so, give us the rub then. Are you chasing after non completers of the form, or completers who didn’t fill it out completely?

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

IF I now get a visit from any ACORN or “Census workers,” I’m advising them to get off my property.

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM

oops peace

Southernblogger on April 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

In training, we were EXPLICITLY told not to be aggressive in questioning.

We were told NOT to inform people that they are constitutionally mandated to participate.

We revisit homes in which contact is not made. After a certain number of times, we “give up” on the home.

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM

If people refuse certain questions, we are not to press the issue, and continue on to other questions

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM

are these visits to “all homes” or to just homes where there is no record of a census being completed/sent in?

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

The argument is that it is cheaper to send those cards in the long run.

CWforFreedom on April 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Yes in our area. In our area we are not doing mail ins. Why, I do not know as it was not clearly explained

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM

It’s in the Constitution, so it’s OK people.

Also, if you live in a reliably Red State, get as much representation as you can so you can help the rest of us!

Daemonocracy on April 5, 2010 at 9:55 PM

For race, put HUMAN!

Or quote Acts 17:26. Race is a Darwinian idea.

[He] has made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

PrincipledPilgrim on April 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Anti-census hysteria baffles me. I cant believe so many conservatives could be so clueless.

swamp_yankee on April 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

If people react like I did, they got past the “name and age” question and got totally pissed off about having racism shoved down my throat.

Martin Luther King famously said, “a dream of a land where men will not argue that the color of a man’s skin determines the content of his character” — so why, decades later, is the government still fixated on race? Why is “racism” the favorite slur against anti-statists?

Now I’m getting angry all over again. If only I had a wise Latina around who could help me sort things out….

cthulhu on April 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Now HERE is something y’all will find interesting

On MY info forms for sign up

White included
euro, north african, mid eastern, and mediterr.

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM

cmsinaz and southernblogger:

I agree and I’ll be waiting at the boarder. I’ll be the tan one who can actually speak English!

milwife88 on April 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM

swamp_yankee on April 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I don’t think there is anti-census hysteria at all. It is an opportunity for our government to ask something of us. We ask of them a simple thing–representation–and we obviously ain’t getting that. Hence, they want all that information on that little sheet of paper….well, see what its like to want….If there is anything, it’s an opportunity for us to question the methods, the constitutionality of not just “the census” ie the “counting”, but all the tacked on riff raff questions on who your Laotian cousin is and where he be livin’ at.

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM

You make me LOL!

PrincipledPilgrim on April 5, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Beck and Rush NEVER said to boycott the census.
Beck said to fill out the first question only, and Rush said that in addition to the first, to answer the race question as “American”, because we are a post-racial country after all.

Facts aren’t important to some it seems..

nootch on April 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I marked the race box as “other” and put in “American”.

1IDVET on April 5, 2010 at 10:07 PM

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Do a bed check. How do you know Drywall isn’t living in your basement?

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I filled mine out and included several “residents” of “Hispanic, Latino, Spanish, Mexican, Mexican American, Chicano, Puerto Rican, or Cuban” origin.

All in, there were 10 of us. Just doing my part to help increase the Gubmint allocation to my state.

gregbert on April 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Has anyone considered that they are not sending forms to conservative states/districts ? Which would explain low rates of return.

Jeff2161 on April 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM

nootch on April 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

silly regardless

the first question is

“Is this so and so address?”

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM

cthulhu on April 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on April 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Do a bed check. How do you know Drywall isn’t living in your basement?

katy the mean old lady on April 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

The smell would give him away.

Aviator on April 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I went to a creepy creepy house last week

lets just say

it was a mix of “Hoarders” and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”

blatantblue on April 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM

The fact is that conservatives are being under-represented. That’s what is making some nervouw and why Karl Rove is making this push.

Rep. McHenry noted the same trend and posted a diary on redstate an got killed for it. It was embarrassing.

Liberals have been rigging the census for decades. I live in Boston and have witnessed how aggressively they canvass the neighborhoods from basements to people living off couches.

Maybe the message didnt get through. But some conservatives are over-reacting and are ignoring the census outright.

I dont even think they understand they are preserving MAssachusett’s ninth and tenth seats.

swamp_yankee on April 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Beck and Rush NEVER said to boycott the census.
nootch on April 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I believe you are corect and believe it or not in line with the Constitution.

CWforFreedom on April 5, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Yeah, also my experience. Only I got:

(1.) post card #1 advising me of Census coming my way;
(2.) Census #1 arrived;
(3.) Mailed Census #1 by deadline;
(4.) Received another card advising me that Census was on it’s way;
(5.) Received second Census [#2];
(6.) Received Census #3 from new source (U.S. Dept. of Commerce);
(7.) Completed Census #2 and #3 and mailed them;
(8.) Received yet another card advising me that Census was on it’s way.

Lourdes on April 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Wait until Gubmint healthcare is fully operational.
1) Get Sick
2) Go to doctor
3) Doctor recommends tests
4) After waiting for 3 weeks for tests, patient dies
5) 3 months later, test is approved
6) Two weeks later, a letter arrives at the residence congratulating the patient on a successful recovery

gregbert on April 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Dave, I can’t tell you and the other concerned ones around here how much Americans appreciate your thoughtfulness. Why were would we be without your concern? Probably leadling less stressful lives is where we would be. Thanks anyway.

kingsjester on April 5, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Just a reminder – not sending in your census form means – MORE JOBS. Go stimulus. JK – sent mine in with minimal info.

Corsair on April 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Geez I don’t get all the “I’m not filling this out” crap. This isn’t exactly new stuff. I’ve filled out 5 census forms, counting this one. This one actually asked alot less questions than some of the others. Somebody mentioned the 2000 one getting really personal. As I recall it asked all kinds of questions about work and education.
And I got 3 forms in the mail but probably because I live in a rental loft and it’s had all kinds of different adresses.

Deanna on April 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

First I got a letter in the mail telling me I would get a census form. A couple of weeks later, the census form arrived. There are other people who live here who are big into geneaology so I let them fill out the form and send it back. Then about a week later, a postcard arrives reminding me that a census form was sent to me and that I was legally bound to answer it or face a fine, blah-blah-blah. I see and hear commercials for it constantly on both TV and radio. Today on Boortz’s show, I heard where the cost for administering this thing has gone up 1500% over the last 30 years, and that this year’s price tag exceeds the annual budget of 40 states.

I’m not opposed to being counted for representational purposes, and I will grant that this year’s form was not nearly as intrusive as the one they sent around in 2000. I don’t like to fill it out because it has morphed into a tool for gerrymandering the districts and doling out pork money, among other things. I am not sure what difference it makes whether I’m Hispanic or not, for example, or whether or not I own my home, but I am sure there’s some reason for it I probably don’t agree with. All of this information is already available from the IRS anyway (well, not my race, but you could get that off of other govt. documents), so it just seems a waste of time and money to me.

NoLeftTurn on April 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM

“European-Americans” “Scandanavian-Americans”

hyphens—works for us too

ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Heh. I’ve been doing European-American for years. Usually I opt not to answer the race or gender questions, but when I do, if the options are African-American, Asian-American, Native American, and then CAUCASIAN, I always put “European-American” in the Other field. I see no reason that I have to be identified by my skin color when everyone else is categorized by their ethnicity. And if other people can claim an entire continent for their heritage, why can’t I?

NoLeftTurn on April 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Refusing to return the census is no different than failing to cast your vote. Both are individual protections provided by the Constitution. Failing to perform either absolutely guarantees one will have no voice.

The revealing part of this thread is some of the posters readily admitting to not returning the census, claim they are ardent supporters of the Constitution.

The irony…….

rukiddingme on April 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM

We’ve got state & local gov’ts encouraging us to turn in our census forms “so we can get back our share of federal money.” Why do the feds get to decide how the wealth is spread around (after the barackracy has skimmed off of the top)? Why not keep our money?

itsnotaboutme on April 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Depends on your trust factor.

If they do, then they’re acting unconstitutionally. ted c on April 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Since when did the Constitution matter to this administration?

redridinghood on April 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM