The honorary “I hate Duke” Final Four open thread

posted at 6:59 pm on April 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Sorry this post wasn’t up for the Butler/MSU tip, but look on the bright side: I’m posting it just in time for the halftime interview with … Barack Obama. What better way to break up a college basketball game than with a 17-minute disquisition about health care?

All Duke fans are hereby banned. Tonight, we are all West Virginians.

Update: Oh man. WVU totally jinxed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The honorary “I hate Duke” Final Four open thread

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I’d recommend waiting for Roy Williams’ offer.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Well, my original post has never shown (probably because of one word). I am Wolfpack Bred and Wolfpack Born but, I had to pull for my uber-liberal younger brother when they went outside the ACC family.

Besides them DOOK pukes play pretty good ball!

Old Dog on April 4, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Butler in the final game is pretty cool.

Question: If they win, what are the chances someone on CBS utters the ultra-cheesy line, “the Butler did it!”? It’s a given there’ll be countless articles with that headline, but I bet one of them says it on TV.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Meh. Basketball still sucks.

Someone please tell me how absolutely ANY excitement can be had at a basketball game whilst the score flips back and forth 100 times in a game, 2 points at a time with grown men hanging from the rims looking like kids on the monkey bars. I especially find the “in your face” grunting and screaming over the top during the dunk contests.

Did I mention that basketball sucks?:-)

BierManVA on April 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Go Butler!!

Khun Joe on April 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

ugh…one thing I hate about blog commenting is the inability to delete typos. Just read through mine from last night…yeesh! Was too hasty in my excitement, I guess. :)

Here’s to hoping Duke takes home some hardware on Monday night!!! GO DEVILS!

Diane on April 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Had to change the channel at half time, just can’t stand to listen to the guy or watch him try to play BB. Not any better at that then he is at running the country. AND doesn’t he have more important things to attend to, oh, like JOBS!

Kissmygrits on April 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Diane, Thanks for showing me the error of my ways. Go Butler!:P

mike_NC9 on April 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!Go Duke!!

Tallman6759 on April 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM

You all can hate on the Dukies, but last night at the game, I was there and close enough to the Cameron Crazies to hear, the kids started a chant for Da’ Sean (sp?) after several minutes of pause by his own fans and cheer leaders. Good kids, quick to encourage when it was needed.

See ya Monday Night!

2L8 on April 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I know I’m wayyy late to the party but did anybody else notice how during the Obama half time show, Obama said he likes b-ball because it is a team sport and you have to “look outside of yourself?”

Even in sports, the man is a collectivist.

Joe Caps on April 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Basketball…the fast food of sports.

“So, if you had a son that was a top-flight high school basketball player and he was offered a scholarship at Duke, Illinois, Michigan State, and Syracuse, where would you recommend he go?”

None(ok, MSU would be okay) but a hockey school. The sport young MEN play.

LtE126 on April 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Hillsdale

Wade on April 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I’d recommend waiting for Roy Williams’ offer.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Roy Williams has no scholarships for your kid at his position. So, your kid has to make a decision. What do you recommend?

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hillsdale

Wade on April 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

So would rather he forego a basketball scholarship to avoid possibly playing for Duke?

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM
Hillsdale

Wade on April 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

–Hillsdale is a good school, but I’d take Duke in a minute over Hillsdale. Course I’d take Michigan in a minute over Hillsdale, too.

Jimbo3 on April 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Just like we all (mostly) were pulling for New Orleans, 80% of the country will be pulling for Butler tomorrow night.

Jimbo3 on April 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Hockey>Basketball

Nelsen on April 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

The ACC gets their 12th NCAA basketball championship on Monday.

Pythagoras on April 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Fed45 on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM

They all are acceptable schools. If he was interested in the sciences, I’d suggest Illinois or Michigan State. If he wanted to be a broadcaster, Syracuse. If he wanted to study post-structuralist semiotics and situational ethics, then Duke is the place.

Mr. D on April 4, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Little Wednesday is heartbroken. He really wanted to play for Roy. Please respect our privacy as we deal with this tragedy.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 5, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I’d like to thank Allahpundit for weighing in with his WVa endorsement. Worked out well for the Dukies. Keep em comin, champ!

james23 on April 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Jimbo3 on April 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Yeah, that comparison makes total sense.

Butler is no Cinderella, underdog nor “David” (vs Goliath). They’re a great defensive team having a great year. Root for them on the merits, not because of some odd success-envy or weak analogy.

GO DUKE!!!

Diane on April 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I have a funny feeling this morning that Butler is going to win. It would be a fitting end to a crazy tournament. Butler has already beaten better teams than Duke has played, and they just seem to find a way to win. I think they match up well with Duke at every position, unless Matt Howard is unable to play. Nobody expects them to win and they will play loose and hit their shots. Duke won’t be able to turn them over.

Shelvin Mack went to my high school and Kentucky offered him a scholarship late in his senior year, but he had already committed to Butler and stuck with it. I am very glad to see him getting to play for a championship anyway.

And before anyone clucks about how this is not a great Duke team, all five of its starters were McDonald’s All-Americans (of course, signing with Duke usually gets you that status automatically, but still.) The question should be why they haven’t gotten to this point before this year with all these great players.

If Butler wins it will be the first school since Maryland in 2002 to win a championship with no McDonald’s All-Americans. Most people thought that would never happen again. Another reason to root for the Bulldogs.

BTW, this is the first time two private schools have played for the NCAA championship since Villanova and Georgetown in 1985.

rockmom on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM

And before anyone clucks about how this is not a great Duke team, all five of its starters were McDonald’s All-Americans .rockmom on April 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM

wrong

huh? They’ve been to 11 FFs and won 3 NCs in the Coach K era (In about 8 hours, you can make that 4). No one else touches that level of accomplishment on the bball court.

james23 on April 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM