Quote of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on April 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

“And now I want to return to the Health Care Frankenstein. Most Americans understand that government-run Health Care is not free, not cheap, and not compassionate. I think most Americans believe Congress has no idea of what the public demand will be for subsidized Health Care. They are correct. When Medicare was enacted, Congress guessed it would cost about 10 percent of what it turned out to be after 25 years. Heck, Congress couldn’t even figure the cost of the 3-month long Cash for Clunkers subsidy last year, underestimating it on the order of 1 to 9. Most Americans know the Congressional majority are clueless about what their government-run Health Care system is going to cost.

“The drama that brought this creature to life was unedifying … part tragedy and part farce. Ethical categories went out the window. Never in history have the deliberations of Congress been subverted on this scale. The secrecy, the lack of transparency, the half-truths were stunning. The votes called at midnight … the 2 and 3 thousand page bills members of Congress had no time to read before the votes … the sordid backroom deals, the Cornhusker Kickback that shamed Nebraska, the Louisiana Purchase, the ‘Gator Aid’ Medicare privilege for Florida, the additional Medicare dollars for states whose wavering representatives only yesterday were ferociously denouncing earmarks … the federal judgeship dangled for one lawmaker’s brother … the raid on the Medicare piggy bank … the lie that $250 billion for ‘doc fix’ shouldn’t count as a Health Care cost … the double-counted deficit estimate scam that would land any accountant in jail … the proposed Slaughter rule that Congressmen not record a vote on a bill their constituents hate, just ‘deem’ it passed and vote on the amendments…and to complete the farce, the phony Executive Order pretending not to fund abortions when the Health Care bill, as ‘the supreme law of the land,’ does fund abortions. The level of political corruption to buy the votes for this debacle makes all past examples look penny ante by comparison.

“Self-government stands or falls on integrity, not only in those who represent you but in the enactment of law. This indecency soiled our freedom and embarrassed the democracy we promote in other nations. And this may not be the last of it. To enact its transformative agenda, this leadership employs the Machiavellian saying that the end justifies the means. America was born in a revolution against that whole idea. Soon it will be the norm.

“The Constitution and the consent of the people are all that stand between limited and unlimited government power. Zealous ideologues with the best of intentions brush aside the limits on power in order to get whatever they believe is good for the people … no matter what the people believe. Our system of freedom can survive an assault, but it won’t survive if the people are frightened, or angry, or asleep at the switch. A great Democrat, President Andrew Jackson, once said: ‘eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty.’ We can thank our current leaders at least for this: they have awakened the nation to the danger of taking self-government for granted.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sarah is the only one who can reach beyond the base. Whoever tells you that she is polarizing is trying to convince you of a myth. George Wallace was polarizing and he never had the power Sarah has.

platypus on April 4, 2010 at 12:18 AM

With all due respect, Sarah is best doing what she is doing at this time. Being a voice to inspire a percentage of the conservative base.

ButterflyDragon on April 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM

OT: Like the Vatican doesn’t have enough problems. After Benedict re-approved some radical Catholic sect last year, the group releases a liturgy urging Jews to convert!! Vatican is scurrying to clean up the latest Benny droppings. Bad optics, bad timing. I am beginning to believe he needs to step down before he screws anything else up.

andy85719 on April 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

This Jew did convert to Catholicism-I was accepted into full communion this evening-I just spent 14 or so years as a protestant off and on before I did it. Not only that, but my patron saint-Edith Stein-was a German Jewish philosopher who converted to Catholicism and became a Carmelite nun. She was martyred at Auschwitz in August 1942
Out of all the Christian denominations I think Catholicism is the most respectful of its Jewish roots. That’s why Jews like Dick Morris, Larry Kudlow, Bernard Nathanson, and yes-Professor Edith Stein, were drawn to it.
My mother is much more accepting of me being a conservative Catholic than she was of me being a conservative protestant.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM

uknowmorethanme on April 4, 2010 at 12:19 AM

She’s running.

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM

sherry on April 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I agree with you completely, she\’s not running. She won\’t announce that until after the midterms though because she loses her ability to influence the midterms if she makes it clear before then. She has made it pretty clear there are others, namely Ryan, who are in a better position to run than she though already. Paul Ryan makes Obama break out in a cold sweat at night, he can run rings around him in a debate. I guarantee Obama would give anything not to have to face him in an election.

msmveritas on April 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM

So how do you explain Hillary’s loss?

sherry on April 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM

She got stabbed in the back by many longtime allies because the Golden Boy came along to absolve them all of their civil rights sins…or something. Remember, Bill Clinton was the first Race Card recipient in the primary.

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Would any of you support Democrat Jim Trafficant for any office? He is a convicted felon who did hard time for corruption while in Congress.

He is a strong supporter of tea parties and he is against both parties in a manner reminiscent of Sarah.

I haven’t heard his radio show, but personally I don’t trust Jim Trafficant. He strikes me as a phony and a fraud and would easily have voted for Obamacare if the price was right.

redridinghood on April 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Actually, this is the quote of the day.

Akzed on April 4, 2010 at 12:45 AM

So how do you explain Hillary’s loss?

sherry on April 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM

BHO. He was put up there to stop her. Keep in mind that the Demoncraps never voted on the nominee – he was anointed.

HRC cannot beat Palin. Not only is she too abrasive but she’s not as pretty.

platypus on April 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM

You put yourselves up on a pedestal as the best ever but when the rhetoric doesn’t seem to match reality don’t you think we have a right to tell you.

Crux Australis on April 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Ah, the ol’ “Are you saying we don’t have a right to speak?” quip alluding to something no one said, at all….even in the slightest.

And I see a lot of people from other countries claiming superiority over America, at least morally, all the time. So give me a break with the “pedestal” crap. Every country has their own pedestal.

Dongemaharu on April 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM

sherry on April 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM

The GOP had better come to terms with it too and find a cnadidate with just a smidgen of her charisma, and Ryan ain’t it, sorry. Otherwise we’d better just concentrate on getting a GOP House and Senate to take on Obama in his inevitable second term.

ddrintn on April 4, 2010 at 12:56 AM

unseen on April 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM

You’re so in love with Palin that you’re not even making sense and becoming a complete pain in the butt.

Knucklehead on April 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Was that really called for?

If you don’t get why clear thinking men and women love Sarah Palin then there is no hope for you.

She IS America. She’s the only true leader out there. The woman is FEARLESS. I mean this deal shouldn’t even have to be debated. Everyone should see this from, a mile away.

I would bet my last dollar that she has no intention of running for president in 2012. My point of her making the announcement sooner rather than later is that there are voters out there who will need to come to terms with her not running. The media will have a joy ride with it either way. They are not my concern. It’s the voters who may not be happy and in turn, will sit out the election. That we can not afford at any cost.

sherry on April 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I’m getting lazy in my old age, so here’s a two-fer:

LOL, I was waiting for you to toss your reasoning why Palin is the anointed one and everybody else need not apply. I will wait for the primaries to decide, thank you. I like Palin and I might vote for her if she runs. But we don’t even know if Palin is going to run and a lot can happen between now and then. But I guess some folks just like to give answers without all of the information and before anybody is even asking yet.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Ok Sherry, and troll…

Yes, Palin is going to run. There is NOTHING that says other wise.

Sarah gets daily briefings on every subject important to the nation. She has set up a “kitchen cabinet” much like a nominee would after they won their primary (or the general election) There would be no need for this if she wasn’t running.

She is going to absolutely every one horse town in the country. She’s going places Republicans and Conservatives rarely tread. No one, and I do mean NO ONE does retail politics like Palin.

She will chase down ever single last vote there is. You won’t see her leaving anything on the table. Witness how pissed she was with Johnny Mac pulled out of Michigan. She was ready to go on her own dime!

Read her book and you see just how hard she worked for every vote there. She all but went door to door all over the state!

She’s also going to do everything she can to get the right people elected. Now she’ll do it because she’s a patriot, but she also knows those newly minted Congressmen and Senators will be very helpful when her time comes.

Past that, she is truly the only one who will fight Obama. She is not effected by “white man’s guilt” And she is most certainly not impressed with his narrow ass. Not in the least.

Plus this is a tad personal. Remember, Obama sicked a whole group of thugs on her up in Alaska. Tried to bankrupt her, and cost her state millions of dollars. She wants Obama bad. She’s probably got the spot on the wall to hang the trophy after she takes him down!

Past that, there is simply no one else up to the job.

gary4205 on April 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Knucklehead on April 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Yeah I know them damn facts keep screwing up your fantasy world. facts can be a pain in the butt but those are the breaks.

As far as Palin goes she is human and has flaws. I do not see anyone else on the national scene that comes close nor anyone talking about the issues that Palin brings to the table. I think those issues are important enough to defend the woman and support her.

Personally I don’t have a big problem with ryan but the second coming he is not. He gave give a good speech and talk about certain issues with clearity yet he has also proven that when the chips are down he votes statist most of the time. Maybe he has seen the light. Maybe this time it’s different. Maybe if we give him power again he will vote different…then again maybe not.

I have a problem with the Bush GOP and what they have become which Ryan was only to happy to go along with in his years in office.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM

The guy is eloquent but more importantly there is substance unlike Obama.

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I like Ryan, but a congressman w/ no executive experience isn’t moving to the White House.

It’s Palin by a mile, IMO. If she doesn’t run for some reason, it’s wide open. But the GOP’s best bet is a charismatic conservative with executive experience.

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

HRC cannot beat Palin. Not only is she too abrasive but she’s not as pretty.

platypus on April 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I have to disagree. I believe Palin can beat Obama, but Clinton would wipe the floor with her in a debate. Both women are considered grating by a lot of people, so that won’t be the determining factor. But a lot of Independent Palin supporters liked HRC so there’d be a fracture in the Palin base. Myself, I really doubt HRC runs, because Obama is going to run. His ego would not allow him to do otherwise. HRC cannot win a Dem primary against him and would not try.

I’d still like her to run for NY Gov, though. Her and Rudy. It’d be the presidential campaign that wasn’t.

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

love Reagan, but I am not blind. I know what he did because I have studied the man. I accept his greatness despite his faults and recognize the truths that he taught me. I recognize that men sometimes rise to greatness because they dare. But I also recognize that every political leader has had faults and mistakes as well. Reagan is no different.

Hawthorne on April 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I say he advanced his core positions with his compromises. His biggest core conviction was the defeat of the USSR and communism. He raised taxes AFTER he cut them. His tax raises never come close to making up for the net tax cuts of 1981 and was the price he had to pay to get increases in military spending form the dems in congress (again he compromised to advance his core goal of the defeat of the USSR), he ramped up the cold war and by doing so he brought down the USSR and freed Eastern Europe.

He supported amnesty because it included increased border security and could finally stop the problem. the fact that those like Bush and clinton did not follow thru and beef up the border security can not be 100% laid at Reagan’s feet. If the USa government would show me they are committed to securing the border I wouldn’t have a major problem with amnesty now. but they won’t because they want the gravy train to continue. Fool me once….

his abortion stance “evolved” over time as with most people. the bill he signed in Ca said that woman could electe abortions if their “physcial or mental” health was in question. that is a far cry from abortion on demand that the libs have turned the bill into. Yet he admitted he made a mistake and proved from then on they he didn’t agree with abortion. he didn’t like Ryan sign/vote for three laws back to back to back and then have 180 degree switch when the political winds changed.

Yes Reagan was humans and a politican and made deals etc yet the majority of his deals always advanced his core principles and beliefs.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

If the Left can con the nation into voting for Obama who has no executive experience and views the Constitution as little more than toilet paper then surely someone like Ryan with no executive experience and a firm grasp of the Constitution and the limits on govt it dictates can have a shot too.

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM

…this leadership employs the Machiavellian saying that the end justifies the means…

Journalism is DEAD in this nation, murdered deliberately by a thoroughly marxist professoriat. Machiavelli may have uttered the words, but ‘The end justifies the means’ is a core tenet of Marxism, and of the damnable marxists that infest our nation’s current leadership. A marxism that our “journalists” will not recount.

rayra on April 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Maybe SP wouldn’t win a debate but wipe the floor? Ol’ Plugs Biden got closeup views of the floor when he underestimated Sarahcuda.

And this whole thing makes no sense if HRC doesn’t try again, which is what I suspect is in the cards. At that point, all the PUMAs are ‘free’ to take their PUMAness to the next level and jump off the dem reservation.

One thing I’ve found in my long years on this planet is that females have LOOOOONG memories. Jug Ears treatment of HRC is not going to be forgotten. A populist GOP female and a conservative GOP female will be a flame to the PUMA moth.

platypus on April 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM

platypus on April 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Lol. PUMAs are already off the reservation; you know how polls say about 13% of the TEA party is Democrats, and the TEA party is more women than men? I can almost guarantee that the female Democrats in the TEA party are nearly all PUMAs. We’ve been in Palin camp for a while now.

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Someone earlier in the thread said Newt will be the nominee in 2012. He won’t survive the primary. Remember, he was in a commercial sitting on a couch with pelosi. That is political poison now.

karenhasfreedom on April 4, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Ryan looks like Ben Stiller. If you gonna go congress get Bachmann

PrezHussein on April 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Intorerable Acts

That is an excellent comparison.

Oh please America keep being angry enough to stop this maniac in the Whitehouse and his ideological cronies!

And boy do I wish I lived in Nevada so I could vote against two Reids!

petunia on April 4, 2010 at 1:47 AM

karenhasfreedom on April 4, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I wouldn’t count Newt out completely but… he did step down in scandal. I find it hard to believe he will really run. Newt has good ideas and communicates well. But he isn’t Presidential material.

And as for his co operation with Pelosi. I think everyone in this country must get it now. You simply can’t hold Democrats to their compromises. They lie. They cheat. They bribe. They want their own way–they have no conscience. None.

Any Republican who thinks compromise with Democrats is possible is too stupid to lead this country.

petunia on April 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM

gary4205 on April 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I am as enamored with Palin as anyone, but unless the public perception of her changes dramatically in the next 9 months or so, she won’t run. Her favorables are still incredibly low due to the “story” that was manufactured about her by the democrats and media. “Caribou Barbie” persists in the public’s mind. Palin needs to turn that perception around before she has any chance at the Presidency. It may take years before she can regain the narrative and control her story. She isn’t going to be able to do that by 2012.

Mallard T. Drake on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Paul Ryan speaks with passion about the right things. He is savvy about economics and can talk about it to everyday Americans. He is the type of leader we need right now. No Representative has been elected President. Perhaps he would make a very good VP candidate who could grow into being a Presidential contender.

Mallard T. Drake on April 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Mallard T. Drake on April 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM Paul Ryan makes Obama break out in a cold sweat at night, he can run rings around him in a debate. I guarantee Obama would give anything not to have to face him in an election.

msmveritas on April 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Totally agree! Paul Ryan is morphing into Reagan II.

HellCat on April 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM

If Australia fails only New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and a few Pacific Island nations fail but if the US fails outback Australia sounds like a nice place to live.

Crux Australis on April 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

See you in Coober Pedy, mate!

trigon on April 4, 2010 at 3:30 AM

For all those going on about Palin in 2012, that train left town and got derailed already. I like the woman and agree with her on many key issues but she’s damaged goods. The media was successful (too successful) in destroying her personally and professionally. It’s not fair. it’s not right. I wish it were not so but there it is and the sooner we realize that and move on the better our chances are to preserve and restore the Constitution and the limited govt we all know is best for our country.

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 3:31 AM

“The Media” doesn’t pick our candidate anymore.
“The Media” didn’t help Tea Parties get going, either.

Sarah Palin is more alive as a 2012 candidate than ever while Mitt and Newt, the ones “the Media” love, are not even contenders for the next time.

Jenfidel on April 4, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 3:31 AM

ROFLMAO…..and yet she still somehow manages to lead/be a contender in every poll for the Republican primaries and she still draws thousands to her events, sells out every speech, etc etc (20k to the freaking desert)

If she wants to run and if huck doesn’t she wins IW going away she gives Mitt rommneycare a run in NH even if she gets a strong 2nd she moves into SC with the wind at her back. If She wins SC and FL she enters super tuesday with enough mo to lock up the nomination.

the path is open for Palin if she wants it.

If she wins the nomination its Obama/Palin two more different worldviews you can not have. Which means its a race about issues and ideas like 1980 and 1984. Not about personilites like 2000, 2008 and not about war like 2004 and not about the economy like 1992 1996. It becomes a race about the direction of the country.

which since the nation is 60% conservatve/right leaning means Palin could get a landslide win.

there is no state that McCain won that Palin would lose. The peuple states like NC, FL, and OH are all coming home to the gop.

If you place a moderate up for 2012 there are many southern states that could be lost to Obama since blacks will have a reason to turn out in force like 2008. If there is not reason for conservatives to turn out like in 2008 those purple states stay with Obama and some like MO may go in his col.

On top of that there is no other candidate that can draw the crowds, raise the cash, motivate the voters to knock on doors, ring phones, poll watch, etc etc ….

Not to mention that no other candidate is talking about the issues that Americans care about, energy, repeal, federalism, cutting spending, limited government, consitutional gov, finishing the wars and coming home in victory.

does this mean she will run/win? no. Does it mean she is the only one out there? no. But she is far from over and the train as not even fired up let alone left the station.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Past that, there is simply no one else up to the job.

gary4205 on April 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I think she’s on standby , if she sees someone stronger that can beat obama , she’ll stand down. She’ll run if she has to. Even if she wouldn’t run she should stay in the game as long as possible, it helps other candidates by taking fire. Stepping down early would just help the democrats.
“Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.” Churchill.

the_nile on April 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Palen/Bolton ’12

Caststeel on April 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I love how when people get zinged they just call you a troll. I have been commenting on this site for a very long time, though I sometimes take breaks from commenting and just read. I back up my arguments with logic and facts. I don’t really care if they are inconvenient for some for the folks.

I am going to say this plainly and simply. If you have already made up your mind who you are voting for in 2012, then you are precipitous and illogical in your decision making. This is not a popularity contest. It is about making an informed decision. Yet some people think it is perfectly appropriate to make a decision two years ahead of the start of primaries with a multitude of facts aren’t even known yet. That is just not smart decision making. That is being a fanboy. I simply cannot find any other reason for making that kind of a decision with so much yet to happen.

But the thing that disgusts me is the utter lack of respect that these people show for anybody else. They go into attack mode just because they have decided for all of us who is fit. They smear and slime anybody that stands to compete with their precious Sarah. Never mind that they are utterly illogical in choosing this e4arly. You are expected to go into lemming mode and jump right off the cliff with them.

Sorry, but I don’t make decisions that way. As I said I will wait until a more appropriate time. That is the responsible and logical thing to do. If you don’t like it gary4205, then I am not worried because I am not concerned with making you happy. That does not make mew a troll and I would kindly thank you to stop accusing me of such things. I am giving facts and that is not being a troll.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:41 AM

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 4:02 AM

I doubt anybody sensible is saying Palin is over. But nobody has started the campaign yet but a few offensive zealots like you and gary4205. You guys just don’t seem to get the fact that nobody is really paying attention to 2012 yet. Yeah, maybe a few hopeless web fanatics like you guys care, but that accounts for a very very tiny percentage of the vote. Nothing you say today will have even the smallest bearing on the 2012 campaign. So all of this ill will that you are building right now is for nothing.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:54 AM

He is too good–how long before the Left goes after him the way they did Palin or Delay or Gingrich or Bush? Just wait, unless he has been living in a monastary, they will slime him; any miscue in an interview or off hand comment will be evidence of rascism and late-night comedy fodder.

FalseProfit on April 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM

No Representative has been elected President.

Mallard T. Drake on April 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM

There’s a first time for everything.

missl on April 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:54 AM

Let us concentrate on winning the battle of 2010 before we worry about winning the war of 2012. That would seem to be prudent.

Yoop on April 4, 2010 at 7:37 AM

What Paul Ryan is doing is giving an outreach statement not, of necessity, just a position statement. He recognizes that the process is corrupt, broken and run by the entrenched interests in DC. By putting a spotlight on that and the broken process which should be open and orderly having become furtive and disorderly, he puts into focus the problem of how process has over-run purpose.

If you are a fiscal conservative or small government conservative, then reading the Bank Veto Message should be a required part of the fiscal and federal lessons of how and why government can and should be rolled back. To tell how corrupt the process has become: we actually expected that Congress and the President would need to re-affirm that the government should lend its backing to a large institution on a regular basis. You do not get that with SSA, Federal Reserve, Fannie, Freddie, Sallie, Ginny, Medicare… on and on and on. The very concept that the government should be flexible, should learn from its mistakes and should NOT have such permanent institutions is one of the early 20th century. That process leads to no good ends.

I have come to detest ‘Ratchet Republicans’ who have no stomach to review government that has been created by Congress and see if each part is not only run well but is still wanted in any form at all. That is not ‘reform’ but a question of if government should even be doing these things. A ‘Ratchet Republican’ wanting to ‘manage’ larger government is a Progressive, unwilling to shear power and funds from government so as to ensure that government does not infringe on the rights of the people. It is one of the few points of agreement, and they are very few, I have with Ron Paul on the auditing of the Fed… save that it does not go far enough as the entire Federal Reserve should be brought into question for its ill-acts preceding TWO major economic downturns that it made WORSE by its actions. That needs to go much, much farther than just the Fed and more than just an audit.

America and Americans can and have survived their government getting rid of large chunks of itself that functioned poorly or were seen as endangering the rights and liberty of Americans. That resilience should be speaking loudly to the social conservatives, particularly the Traditionalists who are about the closest kin inside the Republican party to the Jacksonians outside of it. Walter Russel Mead looked at those who walked away from their party when it turned against the Nation in the 1960′s, and the great decline in voting at a National level started then, too. The self-reliant American who sees no great good in government save for equal protection under the law and special protection for none is now painted as a ‘racist’, yet is saying exactly what MLK was saying. MLK was a Republican, in case it was forgotten, and that social movement attracted the ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ Americans of the middle class to that banner of equality of justice for all. When it goes to equality of results for all, then you are looking at socialism and communism that denigrates human achievement based on the merits of one’s own works being of benefit to themselves and society. Social conservatives should understand that concept and then be aghast when government tries to do anything, without exception, that changes equality of the law and treatment before the law, and that gives very little to the National government and protects the rights and liberties of the people and the States. You cannot co-opt Progressive government to ‘good ends’ as the State is not made for ‘good’ but for equality of the application of the law.

Not liking what Democrats are doing does not make me a Republican supporter. Quite the opposite as, apparently, both parties need a couple of decades ‘in the wilderness’ to ‘find themselves’ and get their hands out of their pants and grasping onto this business of survival in the wilderness. In case the 40 days in the wilderness deal has been forgotten, it was necessary to remake that connection by shearing away the surficial stuff and getting back to basics. The guy who did that was killed for it… yet arose with more power in death than he could ever have had in life. Let us hope that we have not stuck ourselves with an Imperial Government so we don’t have to go through that process. But if we have that will be a touchstone, and that means coming back stronger than ever before once we find that out.

ajacksonian on April 4, 2010 at 7:55 AM

I will support Rep. Ryan in his future run for the White House… Hopefully in 2012…

The current occupant has removed the requirement for “Executive Experience” from the previously required resume bullet point

Fixed it for myself… Apologies, as a Tea Party supporter, I don’t want to use any inflamatory or incendiary term that could be misconstrued by the LameStream Media……

Khun Joe on April 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010

The bar has always been low (now subterranean) for Democrats. They have always known that suggestions of Democrat competency and ability are laughable. They brazenly scoff at any Republican’s talents and abilities while talking up phony resumes, ghost-written books and 165 days in the US Senate as qualification for the highest office in the land. They succeed because they own the traditional media and traded on black racism and white guilt. The black racism is still there and will be in 2012 but the white guilt is waning with every new assault on freedom. The new media is vital and growing and the decrepit old media sees the power slipping from their arthritic fingers. I will know the end for them is near when the NY Times finally dies, as it should.

SKYFOX on April 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM

But, but, Hillary has so much foreign policy experience. Ryan does look like a young RR. Sarah is led by GOD and will run if he wills it. Could you go for Sarah/Ryan in 2012?

Kissmygrits on April 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Where is all this idolatry for this POLITITION coming from…oh yea…a good speech …
What about his voting record????
Death by a thousand cuts is still death!!!!!!

jerrytbg on April 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Paul is a good looking spokesmen for most of our conservative values………..but like RomneyCare he’s got a fatal flaw…..he still believes in “too big to fail” and was totally 100% on the “bail out” bandwagon………..not good. Sarah is the one………..Paul would make a great cabinet member……….

Cinday Blackburn on April 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

politician…oops

jerrytbg on April 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Sarah supports the king of amnesty …

jerrytbg on April 4, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Well said.

ajacksonian on April 4, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Bravo!

With posts such as these, it seems a bit futile to add anything. :)

DrMagnolias on April 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Really, if you went back to April, 1978 you could have said the same things about Reagan vs. Carter, given the job the media and moderate Republicans had done on him during the 1976 campaign. But 1980 was all about not just who the GOP nominated but what the threshold was for swing voters to decide that they wanted someone else besides Carter in the White House.

In that election, it took Reagan until the final two weeks of the campaign to seal the deal, and undo all the negative spin the Democrats and the big media had thrown at him, about Reagan being a moron who would take the oath of office and then immediately demand the code to the nuclear football so he could blow up the world. Palin faces the same uphill battle, which will be tough, because she doesn’t have the in-a-TV-studio communication skills Reagan had — of the two ex-GOP candidates on Fox News, Huck comes across as far more comfortable reading from a prepared script in a small studio than Palin, which in the current climate isn’t necessarily a good thing among GOP voters. But at the same time, she or any Republican nominee will benefit from a far larger alternative media than Reagan had in the days when the Big Three networks, the New York Times and the Washington Post set virtually the entire agenda.

Palin’s still got to make the right moves and say the right things this coming fall, and that includes not just parroting buzzwords like “Lame-stream media” from Bernie Goldberg and Sean Hannity, but getting writers who craft her own key talking points. But it’s silly to count her out right now, since the 2012 election is going to be about how much Obama has done to make swing voters either vote to keep him or throw him out, and the way he’s going, that threshold isn’t going to be insurmountable.

jon1979 on April 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Here’s the actual quote of the day.

Akzed on April 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

That’s what Palin was to support McCain.

However, I’m not sure she’s going to run in 2012 “don’t need a title to affect change” comes up in her conversation quite a bit when interviewed. But then she told Chris Wallace that she wasn’t scared to run at all. I think she needs to be a little less caddy when she makes her speeches (and you can stop with the writing on the hand thing already we get it). That being said if we let the attacks by the media decide whether our candidate is viable then don’t we then GIVE THEM THE POWER TO DECIDE OUR NOMINEE?

If the media attacks, if the D.C. establishment tries to destroy you, if your own party leadership is really hoping you don’t run…..then DAMN THE TORPEDOS I’m for that candidate.

Ryan is great on Obamacare but the TARP/Auto bailouts, etc. that’s just fundamental big, expansive gov’t. If he’s issued a “Sherman” not gonna run statement then maybe he’d be better as Speaker. Can’t we get someone in charge of the House GOP that actually is a CONSERVATIVE not one of these Bush/RINO Republicans?

Ryan / Palin / Demint / Jindal / Mitt 2012?

Better yet….ANYBODY BUT OBAMA 2012!!!

PappyD61 on April 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM

We need to get behind Ryan, the logical and obvious choice for 2012. He may well be our last hope.

Viper1 on April 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Yakko77 on April 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Exactly, all this bickering on who should be the Republican candidate serves little useful purpose since 1) it’s highly premature. Let’s at least get through the 2010 elections. 2) except perhaps for Romney, no one has declared an interest in the candidacy 3) we all will have a say on who will be the Republican candidate in the 2012 Republican primary and….almost any Republican candidate is preferable to our current president.

docdave on April 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Mr. Wednesday Night on April 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM

This may or may not be true, but at the very least he is a good voice for the opposition. He is reasonable and intelligent and people respond to that, especially when their government is in the hands of demented ideologues.

Terrye on April 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Ryan is separating himself from the pack more everyday.

labrat on April 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Viper1 on April 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM

It remains to be seen if he can inspire enough enthusiasm to sustain a presidential run. My bet is that he can’t. I like and admire the guy, but facts are facts. We can talk about Palin as “damaged goods” all we want, but someone with a little presence is going to have to come forward and fill the void she’d leave. No one on the GOP horizon right now comes close. No one.

ddrintn on April 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM

A magnificent speech by Paul Ryan. His words are eloquent, thoughtful, sober, and true.

Paul Ryan is definitely a statesman and presidential in his bearing and attitude, unlike our one-term POTUS who has suddenly begun doing stand-up comedy on his “health care for all” tour.

GrannyDee on April 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Was that really called for?

gary4205 on April 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

OMG there’s no hope for me because I don’t fit your narrative of who you think is going to be the nominee and who you think is going to run in 2012?

Good grief, should I just jump off the cliff now because of my stupidity and my inability to agree with you Palinista’s? Get a grip, this is 2010 and we have no idea what the issues will be in 2011 and beyond and neither do you.

Knucklehead on April 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

msmveritas on April 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Right. On. The. Money.

Dopenstrange on April 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Was that really called for?

gary4205 on April 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Knucklehead on April 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I agree with you, Knucklehead. We’re not even to the mid-terms yet, which results (together with the subsequent actions of Congress and POTUS) will determine a great deal vis-a-vis the 2012 election.

GrannyDee on April 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I don’t see any reason why it’s impossible for Ryan to win. After Obama I’m not sure the old paradigms are in force. Ryan seems quite competent. But that’s two years away and I’m concentrating on this November.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM

That’s a great testimony, alt, and although my story isn’t as profound as yours, I was received also last night. I’m ecstatic to be Catholic and glad you’re there too!

Eren on April 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM

“I’ll give you as Shermanesque a quote as I can,” said Ryan. “I am not going to run for president. I’m just not going to do it. My head’s not that big, and my kids are too small.”

Well, that’s certainly a disappointment – at least for me.

Rod on April 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

One thing is for certain, no matter who’s nominated in 2012, HotAir posters will be at each others throat over the pick.

Just don’t sit home and sulk if the nominee’s not your favorite or we’re all screwed.

Rod on April 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM

alwaysfiredup on April 4, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Why is that exactly? What do Palin and HRC have in common?

DarkCurrent on April 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Well, that’s certainly a disappointment – at least for me.

Rod on April 4, 2010 at 12:44 PM

He’d better run now before his kids grow up and have sex lives to be combed through by the media.

ddrintn on April 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I have a question.

Has anyone else noticed in all the talking heads in the last few months the only ones that seemed to make any sense were the ones that ARE NOT LAWYERS.

My decisions in future elections is to look for conservative candidates that have another occupations, doctors,businessmen,ordinary hard working people,I’m sure there are sincere and honest lawyers but not in Washington,anyone else notice that too?

I hope you all have a Blessed Easter Sunday

concernedsenior on April 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM

No Representative has been elected President.

Mallard T. Drake on April 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM

What about Lincoln? Just asking, not comparing anybody.

sleepyhead on April 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM

What about Lincoln? Just asking, not comparing anybody.

sleepyhead on April 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Exactly. Add a failed Senate bid also. (Granted the Senator was elected by the state legislators back then, but he lost it regardless)

ButterflyDragon on April 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Having voted against Obama and “for” (*blanch*) McShamnesty [i.e really for Palin], I’ll vote against Obama again in 2012.

Not to hard to find someone superior to John the Ego as a candidate.

Palin. Ryan. Cantor. Jindal. Etc.

GO SARAH!

profitsbeard on April 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Ryan’s best position is the one he currently serves. He is an effective leader in legislative circles: thoughtful, articulate, and compelling in his arguments. It is Congress that is crafting out-of-control spending and Congress that can put a stop to it. Having Ryan out in front of the people explaining his roadmap in terms that voters can identify with is perfect. Get him in front of the cameras for the soundbite and on Sunday talk shows to develop his ideas or to debate the opposition will do wonders in putting this nation back on its feet.

Let’s keep our effective legislators in office, put them in leadership positions, and grow their numbers through the mentoring of newcomers.

In many ways, Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House is more powerful than the president, whether it be Bush or ObaMao. We want a GOP leader like Ryan (or Cantor or Pence or Bachman) in the Speaker’s position because any one of them is more ethical and intelligent and fiscally responsible than the San Francisco treat. Any one of the GOP members above could go toe to toe with ObaMao and leave him floundering in talking points and all wee-wee’d up. The House controls the budget; we want Paul Ryan having a huge say in affecting it.

onlineanalyst on April 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

concernedsenior on April 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Ahh, now I think you are touching close to one of the most important factors in the decline of America. We are becoming a nation to serve the lawyers. Legal fees are becoming a serious impediment to all businesses, not just health care. America need serious and comprehensive tort reform even more than we needed a comprehensive solution to health care. It would have been the most logical place to start for health care reform in fact. But where is it?

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM

(Allow me to cut and paste my comment from the Dr. Cassell post because this candidate for Congress is the type we want to encourage.)

Alan Grayson, loudmouth opportunist against the doctor, is about to hit a brick wall in the coming election.

A freeper posts the following re an excellent candidate planning to unseat Grayson:

You don’t want to miss seeing this video of a great constitutional conservative candidate from Florida District 8! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USku0iRbfaA
Lt.Comdr.Dan Fanelli is running for Congress against Alan Grayson! He needs our support and donations to win the Primary in August and then on to defeat Grayson in November!

Please check out Dan’s web site and consider helping in any way you can to spread the word about Dan Fanelli! http://electdan2010.com/

The ads are terrific. The Youtube links to Red Eye. Good stuff.

onlineanalyst on April 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 1:12 AM

My, isn’t it wonderful how the human mind can rationalize nearly anything when they want to. Like I said, you find reasons to give a pass to those politicians that you believe in. But you use a much more strict interpretation for those that you choose to attack. You can pretend that there is intellectual honesty in your position, but it is just an emotional salve to give you the balm you need to rationalize.

The real test is how strident you and gary4205 are in support of a politician so far ahead of the proper time to start that campaign. Your support of Palin is fine. What is wrong is that you are attacking the other possible candidates in some kind of crass and ill-conceived effort to protect Palin.

Let me give you the clues you lack. We have almost two years between now and the 2012 election season. We need to have all hands on deck in our effort to defeat the left wing in 2010. For this to happen we need the candidates that are opposing Obama and his agenda to be effective. Your attempt to undercut every one of them may serve the goals of Sarah Palin, but it harms the goals of conservatives by discrediting the very people we need to support in their efforts against Obama.

There will come a day for the campaigning, but it is still far away. If you and gary4205 really are conservatives, which I sincerely doubt, then you would clearly see that your fanboy antics are destructive to our cause. This is not about finding one candidate yet. For now, it is about trying to keep what we can of our republic prior to the 2012 election. So stow the Palinista fan talking points until we are getting near the 2012 primaries.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Better yet….ANYBODY BUT OBAMA 2012!!!

PappyD61 on April 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Exactly!

For everything there is a season. It not yet time for Republicans and conservatives to wrangle over the 2012 nominations. It is much too early and there is too much that needs to be done!

For now we should be standing shoulder to shoulder against Obama and the Democrats to stop as much of the slide to Gamorrah as we can. A few months before the 2012 primaries start we can switch gears and get into campaign mode. But this IS NOT YET THE TIME for that.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM

You said it Hawthorne!

We’re 2.5 years away from the next Presidential election. All of this nonsense about picking nominations at this point is simply masturbation.

Now is the time to support your local tea party and raise your voices about reducing the size of Fed-zilla! We can argue about who will run for President AFTER we’ve gotten enough true conservatives in DC this year to stop the massive hemorrhaging from our economy.

MJBrutus on April 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM

ROFL….crass attacks? since when did stating facts become an attack. I apply the same standard to every politican. Regan advanced his core goals. Goals that I believed in. the destruction of communism and the USSr being his number one goal. Of course a leader and politican will have to compromise to get his goals passed. Bush 1 and bush 2 had no core goals and because of that their admins were swept up in the topics of the day. There was no overarching goal to the bush dynasty except power for power sake. when 9/11 happened bush found a goal and he compromised to achieve his ends in Iraq giving up alot to the dem congress in 2006 and 2007 and forgetting about Afganistian to get his troop funding. yet before that his poliices were no better than obama’s.

yet Clinton’s triangletion was probably the worse of an admin with no overarching core principles.

I can not stand Obama however I understand why the liberals love him. say what you want about his admin it does have an overarching core goal and that is to turn America into a socialist utopia, Obama’s problem his he will not compromise to achieve those goals and thus he is more thug than leader. I for one am glad he can not compromise. It means the likes of Ryan, McConnell, Broner, McCain can go right.

Oh give me a freaking break. Telling the truth is not
“undercutting” our candidates. You like Ryan fine but go into your support with your eyes open. he was a statist before he found his religion of Liberty. Now you can believe he has changed or you can believe he is just riding the wave. Palin as a politican has talked up Ryan. If I was a blind follower of Palin’s like you say I should be all for Ryan then right?

As far as attacking “other candidates” when their supporters practice what they preach maybe I’ll listen. the Mittbots, Paulnuts etc. attack Palin on a daily/hourly basis.

And for the record I am not “attacking” Ryan I just find it amazing that a person in 12 months can have such a profound change of heart. I therefore question that change of heart. you know the media use to do this type of work before they went over to the dark side. the fact is Ryan has been great over the last couple months as a “conservative” the fact is also over the last 8 years not so much. Now in the last several months the American people have trended more conservative and wow look at that so has Ryan, McCain, Mcconnell etc etc. Go figure. You make of that for what it is. But I would bet you if the people was trending more liberal those some people would also trend liberal.

If you and gary4205 really are conservatives

ROFLMAO….nice crass attack. what a complete hypocrite you are.

stow Palinista fan talking points until we are getting near the 2012 primaries.

let me repeat….nice crass attack….roflmao….What a complete hypocrite you are.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Better yet….ANYBODY BUT OBAMA 2012!!!

PappyD61 on April 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Exactly!

what utter bullcrap. It was Bush that gave us Obama. Bush did more to destroy the GOp than any national figure on the scene. If you use that type of thinking we get Bush 3
No thank you. would rathe rhave Obama than the RINO GOP at the head of the nation. At least that way you can see the enemy coming

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM

You are a gift that just keeps giving aren’t you. With every post you once again prove my point. You simply do not get it. You do not need to point out ANYTHING right now. You can save all of that for the 2012 campaign season when it is more appropriate. But with every post you once again prove your self-righteous and strident nature. You once again place your personal agenda above logic and completely miss the importance of the task at hand.

Why do you choose to take personal affront from small things I say, while justifying your use of much equally strident language in your efforts against anybody candidate that is not Sarah Palin. I love how you display your double standard plainly for all to see. Thank you, please continue.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Oh give me a freaking break. Telling the truth is not

Once again you show your double standard. Saint Sarah is not without her faults either.

She approved benefits for gay partners of state employees against her own conservative Christian principles:

Please note that you have criticized other candidates such as Mitt Romney for similar decisions while in office.

Palin was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it.

Palin endorsed McCain in Arizona over J.D. Hayworth. So Palin supported the RINO over a candidate that is much more in line with conservative and tea party positions. So isn’t that a betrayal of her principles?

So where is your search for truth when the evidence is against Palin? Once again, I point out your double standard. If you are going to claim some sort of altruistic quest of pointing out truth and facts, then point them out equitably about all candidates instead of cherry picking. Better yet, stow it until the the 2012 election season arrives as I suggested.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Yeah let’s go in blind. That’s the ticket. do you think facts go away depending on the years they are not spoken? You are the one that fails to see. If you hitch you support to a wagon without knowing the facts you are bound to be disappointed.

It is disappointment that we need to watchout for; that, and hyprocrisy. Those two things will destroy us in 2012. The only way we wTn 2012 is with enthusiasm that swamps the ballot boxes. The people must be allowed to turn out to vote for someone not against someone. For that to happen we need someone that can not be tied to the hypocrite label, someone that has core principles. This is an election that we will lose if we nominate “the lesser of two evils” again.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Nice strawman you built. I do not”attack” every other candidate besides Palin. I have nothing but good things to say so far about Christie in NJ, McDonald in VA. The rest of the gang are more of the same DC elites. There really is not much good you can say about Mitt, T-paw, danials, thune and others on the national scene except that they are not Obama. there is a ringing endorsement. “Vote for me I’m not Obama.” somehow I doubt that will argument will win the day against the dem machine. Check into the records of each of these people and the PR melts off the bone. You are left with statists just not as big of a statist as Obama. Yeah where do I sign up.

One other thing. If you think any GOp candidate is not going to get the same treatment that Palin got by the MSM/Dem party in 2011 and 2012 you are badly mistaken. The only difference is that the dems/MSM will hold their fire until AFTER the nomination. And god help this country if we do not vett our own candidates before those votes because the MSM/dems are sure to do it for us after the primaries.

Your logic is faulty. You want your candidates to have a double standard. you want your candidates not to get the same research, armchair quarterbacking, and dirt slinging that Palin has got since Aug 29th 2008. that is not going to happen. If anything the way the dems/MSM attacked not only Palin but McCain should have been a wake up call to the GOP. The game has changed no longer will GOP candidates get a fair shake form the MSM. therefore logic says we have to do the same job the MSM is bound to do. If Rayn or others are strong enough to withstand the negatives that they have more power to them if not we need to know now before the money, time and effort is spent on a lost cause.

but if you want to go in with blinders on more power too you. That went will well in 2006 and 2008.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM

you call that a negative? that to me is a positive. she governs by the consitution regardless of what her own “feelings” are on the matter. I wish Pelosi, Obama, reid cared 1/100th as much about consitutional government.

wow that is a big accusation without any supporting evidence. i don’t remember every attacking Mitt for standing up for the Mass consitution. I’m sure Rommneycare was in there somewhere…..Maybe article 2?

Palin was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it.

the bridge to nowhere? you still on that one? She supported the bridge until the cost and public preception changed. the bridge did nothing to further her core goals and as such She said thanks but no thanks. It not like she voted for an $800 Billion bailout of her biggest campaign funders or voted to spend+50billion to keep a car plant open in her district.

Hmmm….Palin has also endorsed Ryan like Palin’s endorsements matter to me a hill of beans. I could really care less who she endorses and who she doesn’t. She is building her power base by her endorsments and will pick them depending on how it benifits her principles. McCain for several reasons mentioned too many times to rehash here was a better pick than JD the pork spending excongressmen. Regadless of their views on immigration. she also endorsed Duffy in Wis, Rand Paul in Ky and many others. which since I live in non of those places I don’t care. I hope they win they all seem like they will advance conservative agenda in Congress. hell she even enodrsed Scott brown who took about 2 days after the election to kick it to the Tea parties by allowing the increase in the spending cap to sail thru the Seante on a 60-40 vote andallowing Kirk to vote for the dems.

evidence against Palin? You posted a positive as well as a slanted attack on her bridge to nowhere stance. And her endorsement of McCain over JD. that’s all you got from the enitre MSM/dem/Gop researchers over the last 18 months of non stop dirt digging. wow those are just amazing talking points. when in about 2 minutes of research I pulled out the facts of Ryan’s vote for the bailout, the car company takeovers and the limits on CEO pay.

imagine the dirt I can dig up on Ryan if given 18months of non stop digging all the bush era votes as well as the 2006-2009 votes with Pelosi controlled house. and if you think the dems/MSM will not do that digging you are badly mistaken.

You and people like you unleashed hell on earth on Palin over the last 18 months. Now you want pandora’s box to be closed. Good luck with that.

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I can’t wait until Ryan is POTUS. Seriously, he can crunch numbers like that AND he can deliver an articulate speech that resonates and connects?

Righteous

ace tomato on April 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Just keep talkin’ because I love how you keep proving my point.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Just keep talkin’ because I love how you keep proving my point.

Hawthorne on April 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM

oh. …good one…way to come back with facts and links and all that you know “stuff” to actually prove your point…..oh wait nevermind….you don’t use facts and figures and links…you are just right because you know your right…gotcha…..

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM

unseen on April 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Your problem is that you just like to argue. I don’t have to prove anything because you do it for me. You only take from my posts what you choose while missing the overall point. So you don’t even understand that you are doing it.

My point is simple. We have a lot of time to talk about all of this later when people care. The big majority of people don’t start paying attention to an election until it is less than six months away. Tons of studies on that. Heck, there is a large percentage of people that don’t pay attention to an election until after the World Series is over. Quite a few studies have shown that as well.

So here we are, about two-and-a-half years away from the 2012 elections. Who exactly is paying attention to your ranting about Presidential politics? Maybe some political wonks are. The politician wannabes probably are. You probably have thousands of political bloggers that care. But if you add it all up I would be extremely surprised if you hit even one percent of the population.

If you want to reach a large group you are depending on your message going viral. You need hundred of other bloggers to repeat it. You need Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity to repeat it. You need newspapers and news web sites to pick it up and repeat it. But they aren’t going to do that about the stuff you are posting. That is dead on arrival until the 2012 election season starts.

So how do those facts play into your point about being informed and providing a service? Yep, you are on your podium and informing… nearly nobody. Congratulations, on your futile effort. But it’s cool because you are getting hits for Hot Air, so Allahpundit appreciates your helping him keep his job.

So what is it really about? Or are you just into wasting your time?

Hawthorne on April 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Sara Palin is a lot of fun, and I look forward to seeing her at the NRA convention in Charlotte, NC. However, she is not presidential material. At this point in history, we need a candidate that takes it a few levels higher than Sara is right now.

I have not yet seen the right Republican candidate emerge. Maybe one of the top military men or business leaders will grab the ring, but tey are not on the radar screen yet.

None of the usual suspects are there. McCain was another average Republican leader, and he couldn’t hang with Obama. We need the whole package of message, likeability, humor, and oratory skills.

saiga on April 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Although I don’t think he is the best guy, Mike Huckabee has some of the qualities needed. He is quick, friendly, has a sense of humor, and a decent message, but he is a scosh goofy.

Like him, Sara Palin is fairly quick, but not the intellectual fencer she needs to be. The MSM yap show heads can still stand her up. I want someone with a little more William F. Buckley in him like Ronald Reagan had.

Swift and sure. Make em look like the mud heads they are.

saiga on April 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM

What do you think Allah?

I know you were a McCain man, and he got my vote. But, people underestimate Obama as a politician. Look at the awful things he has done to hurt this country, yet most people still like him as a person. To create the mess he has and remained as likeable as he has, that takes certain talent.

saiga on April 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM