House Democrat: All that’s missing from the tea party are the robes and hoods

posted at 12:32 pm on April 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Of all the incendiary smears of tea partiers over the last few weeks, this one’s my very favorite. Not only is it relentlessly nasty, especially for a congressman — note the cute little joke he makes near the end referencing McCain’s torture in Hanoi — but it’s part of a critique of, ahem, right-wing vitriol. Come for the finger-wagging about civility, stay for the George Wallace and Kristallnacht analogies.

Then again, that’s par for the course. As Ed Driscoll reminds me, what makes this clip extra special is the fact that Steve Cohen himself was compared to a Klansman and targeted with anti-semitic innuendo by — ta da! — his Democratic opponent in the House primary two years ago. No one understands better than he does, in other words, just how vicious some of his own fellow travelers can be, but there’s a narrative at stake here and he knows his part in it. Nice job staying on-script, Steve.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

What does Mr. Steve Cohen think about Obama’s treatment of
Israel?
-Snubbing of their Prime Minister
-Giving ultimatums about expansion of settlements
-Not openly supporting Israel’s right to defend itself

Mr. Cohen is a Lib first, and Jewish second.
I still am amazed at how Jewish Americans still support Obama, because Obama is no friend of Israel.

Mark7788 on April 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Wow, that’s quite a damning bit of vitriol, there.

disa on April 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I live in the South and the only KKK I’ve seen was on the History Channel.

Speaking of racism, wasn’t it Cohen who tried to join the Congressional Black Caucus, but denied because he is white?

TN Mom on April 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Cohen is merely a common dimmycrat.

n0doz on April 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Pfft…Steve Cohen like most Democrat politicians these days is little more than the modern day equivalent of a slave holding plantation owner. In other words to keep minority and special interest groups voting Democrat, keep them ignorant, scared and addicted to government handouts.

Hellrider on April 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Same as it ever was…small-minded individuals attack the messenger and ignore the message. As someone of Native-American heritage, I was promised a post-racial future. Is there a plan to make that actually happen, or will our ‘leaders’ continue to act like immature racists?

AbeFroman on April 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Hellrider on April 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

…from diapers to funeral candles…

Schadenfreude on April 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I don’t even see Republicans bringing up race.

Democrats on the other hand keep pointing to our ‘black President’. Why can’t he just be a President? Why does he have to be referred to as a ‘black President’?

Until Democrats can forget about skin color it is clear they are the ones who hold the racist views.

….and history would back that allegation up quite well.

Mr Purple on April 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Pretty common stuff on the left, Dave. Far more common than racists at Tea Parties.

capitalist piglet on April 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM
——-
Uh, no.

Dave Rywall on April 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Uh, yeah. Just because you don’t see it on MSNBC, CNN, and CBS doesn’t mean it isn’t there. You just have to go to someone who reports it honestly. I suggest Ringo’s Pictures, and zombietime.

You’re welcome.

capitalist piglet on April 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM

canopfor on April 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM
—————
canopfor – I salute you, our good Canadian friend.

yoda on April 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM

yoda: Good to hear from ya,I try!:)

canopfor on April 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Steve Cohen: All the Tea Partiers are missing are their hoods and cloaks.

Robert Byrd: Hey, now. Let’s not start talkin’ crazy here.

SagebrushPuppet on April 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM

McCain and Cohen for GOP in 2012.

Two freaking scumbags.

If his State elects him again they deserve whatever he does to them. He is now probably getting wined and dined by skin face Nancy or prune face Harry to join them.

jarhead0311 on April 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I can’t wait for the Primaries to shake some of these nuts out of the trees.

yoda on April 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I’m getting really effing sick of being insulted by these jackass Democrats.

CP on April 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Blah. Blah. Blah. Democrats love to pull out the race card when they are void of facts. How about Cohen sits down for a one-on-one with Paul Ryan or Mike Pence?

TN Mom on April 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Mr. Cohen is a Lib first, and Jewish second.

Mark7788 on April 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Simply because they are libs first and Jewish second. So many Jews are so secularized that they don’t realize they are not even Jews, spiritually speaking. God takes a back seat.

Grafted on April 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Kristallnacht=Tea Party

Really Steve? I’d never heard the beginning of the Holocaust reduced to a philosophical disagreement over the role of government. Frankly I’d never thought of Nazis as anti tax protesters. Who knew?

I hope you are given plenty of opportunities to explore these unique views in more detail in the run up to November.

R Square on April 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM

By the way, has anyone heard anything more about the recently arrested right wing anti-government terrorist Democrat Jacob J. Ward?

Jacob J. Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio, voted as a Democrat in the 2004 and 2008 primary elections. He also voted in 10 other elections since 2000. Party affiliation in Ohio is determined by which party’s ballot they requested in the most recent primary election.

So far we do not know the political affiliations of the other members…but we do know that at least one is a registered Democrat. Anyone want to take bets regarding the political affiliation of the other “domestic terrorists” ?

What is it about the language of the Democrat Party leadership that is inciting the radical fringe of their party to the point of plotting violence and murder?

Obviously they need to tone it down.

R Square on April 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Just shut your pie hole…we ain’t buyin into that racist crap anymore and we won’t be silenced by those ridiculous accusations.

hopefloats on April 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Heck, Steve Cohen would sell out his own mother for the Democrat Party. Heck, if she is still around then he DID sell her out when he supported Obamacare. Funny how such brain-dead spinbots can say garbage like this with a straight face. But you have to expect that from anybody that The Young Dorks have on their show.

Hawthorne on April 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM

“Obama has done things like Hitler did,” -Naomi Wolf.

Obooba should try some earth tones.

Akzed on April 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I forgot…is this loser one of the Palin 20?? Either way, he needs to go. Sarah…please….back this guy’s opponent!!

Dan Pet on April 4, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Got your diversity right here, you smirky little aristocrat.

Venusian Visitor on April 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM

How much longer are these tiresome Democrats going to shovel that “Republicans talk mean!” bull? What did their 1940s predecessor say about the kitchen heat? Get them OUT!

leftnomore on April 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM

These people are completely disconnected from reality.

Seriously though.

It is one thing to have philosophical differences with a group of people. It is quite another to dishonestly paint them as villains, and especially in such a childish and transparent way. Who would actually believe the things that they say about us? The more time goes by and the more outlandish their accusations become, the less convinced I am that anyone believes them.

Racism???? Really? Is that the best you can do? Can’t you at least come up with a canard that isn’t also a cliche? Please, if you’re going to tell hateful lies about me, at least make them interesting.

Why do they do this? Why can’t they debate us on the issues?

Because they would lose. Leftist ideology just doesn’t stand up to the harsh light of truth, logic, and reason. The leftists have long known this, hence the emergence of post-modernist “thought” with its denial of objective reality itself, as best revealed by the Sokal Hoax.

When you’re wrong and you know it, the only thing left to do is start hurling irrational insults and hope enough people are distracted by them and lose track of the real issues. But the very fact that they are doing this shows just how desperate and fearful they really are. They’re not even trying to confuse the public with sophistry, they’re going straight to the ad hominem attacks, way down there at the bottom of the barrel.

Keep it up comrades, you’re winning our battles for us.

leereyno on April 4, 2010 at 4:47 AM

This idiot is why I stopped being a democrat. That and I also became better educated.

El Guapo on April 4, 2010 at 6:55 AM

I’m sure Pelosi could have banged those people on the head with the gavel she was carrying while walking through that angry racist mob. I’m surprised she was even able to walk through it, being it was “mob rule”. Boy I bet Nancy and her gang were really upset with the Rep for hiding out and peaking through the curtains while she was trying to get through the angry mob.

What a complete liar and an idiot. It sounds like the Rep doesn’t get out of his closet much.

Frances on April 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM

I cant help but laugh outloud anymore at these pitiful examples of so called leaders.
Are they stupid enough to actually buy into the tired old Alinsky race card tactic.
please all liberals, you will be fine.
Wallmart greeters and mcdonalds will always have a place for you to earn what you deserve.
Just go have a coke and a smile and conservatives will handle it from here.
Oh, would you like fries with that?

mrcarter123 on April 4, 2010 at 7:36 AM

It’s all I can do to keep my blood from boiling just about every day now. I’m avoiding the news because of these lying effing jerks, and every day I pray for strength. We’ve GOT to overcome this evil ideology.

davecatbone on April 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Thats a pretty disgusting thing to say. Its not about race you moron and well, the civil war is over as far as I recall. Hopefully the great divider won’t trigger one.

johnnyU on April 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

“Shut up,” explained the congressman.

Unfortunately, a lot of republicans don’t have the backbone to counter being called a racist. Too many will scramble to demonstrate how they embrace diversity, and will tip-toe around for a while instead of calling the clowns what they are: Liars.

iurockhead on April 4, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Hate, hate, hate…that’s all I ever see from “liberals”, whenever Republicans/Conservatives oppose what the left wants. From their comedy talk shows, to their news programs, they can’t seem to treat the right with any fairness or respect. And before anyone assumes I’m some biased conservative, I’m actually a centrist, atheist, socially liberal, fiscally conservative and hawkish on war.

While I may share some of the views of liberals, these scumbags don’t speak for me. And Americans (center, right, decent liberals) are waking up to this vitriol out of the fascist left and saying “no don’t tell us we’re racist because we have policy differences.” Rock on Tea-Partyers and conservatives. I hope in 2010 and 2012 elections America puts these commie scumbags in their place.

thinkagain on April 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Just another unimaginative, ignorant, arrogant, corrupt and incompetent Democrat, nothing special.

Jackasses like this guy stopped discovering, stopped listening and stopped inquiring once they got on the left side of the issue.

In short, this guy is an unqualified idiot, like our Carny-in-Chief in the Oval Office.

NoDonkey on April 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM

The lazy manwimpsh*t liberal’s way to offer win an argument in their own (narrow) minds.

JammieWearingFool on April 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Fixed!

cableguy615 on April 4, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Missing robes and hoods? Well that is easily solved, just invite Senator Byrd (D-WV) to a Tea Party.

Bishop on April 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Pardon my backseat blogging, friend, but I believe you did a typo. I think you meant to put an R in front of Senator Byrd’s name. Not a D. A Democrat senator would never be a part of the Klan!

Everybody and his cousin knows that only Republicans are the true racists who are far more likely to be involved with the KKK. Just thought I’d mention it. No big deal. Honest mistake.

cableguy615 on April 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM

They just hate white people.

bopbottle on April 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM

In all seriousness, they do. Any time you hear someone complain about a lack of diversity, what they’re really saying is, “This is too white.”

Liberals are bigots. They’re bigoted against white people.

2Brave2Bscared on April 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Not news that the Democrats are the leaders of bigotry and affectation.
There’s a shortage of robes and hoods since the Democrats have them in their own closets.
Question? How do these pathetic people live with themselves?
Goog God; How depressing!

Cybergeezer on April 4, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I will stand up and call myself a racist if someone can tell me the ethnicity/race of the following entities:

$877 stimulus bill
10 percent unemployment
Obamacare
AIG bailout
Cap & Trade
Snubbing the UK
Snubbing Israel
Doing nothing about Iran
Undermining US military operations
Taking over car companies
Federal funding of abortion
Spreading the wealth around
Backroom deals to buy legislation

ace tomato on April 4, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Robes and hoods? He must have confused the Tea Party with the DNC Leadership. The traditional home of the KKK has ALWAYS been the Democratic party.

What a moron.

omb on April 4, 2010 at 10:33 PM

What the hell is “diversity” and why is it so all-fired fantastic?

If it were so great, wouldn’t we have it already?

I come from a mixed-race family, but as far as I can tell, the only time that matters is when I fill out some G-D government form. Other than that, nobody cares one way or another.

Screw diversity.

tcn on April 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I am sick and tired of these lying, smearing hate mongers. The reason they spuot these lies is to shut down and shout down any opinion that does agree with the liberal left. It is about time people with conservitive views stood up in the face of these people and call them the liars that they are. I am just as sick and tired of conservitives standing in line to apologize to these jerks.

TomLawler on April 5, 2010 at 4:20 AM

By the way the only racial incident that I have been informed of is a black man beaten by Obama’s union thug friends. Why don’t we hear any more about that incident?

I usually restrict myself to one post per thread but this continued onslaught from the left really ticks me off.

TomLawler on April 5, 2010 at 4:37 AM

. . . and you congressman are a lying pile of rancid goat dung.

rplat on April 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I just love when Democrats – especially in Congress – make comments about Republicans/conservatives being klansmen – without any sense of irony at all.

Was Robert Byrd in the vicinity?

Midas on April 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM

What an ignorant jackass. Typical democrat strategy: paint reasonable thinking people as mindless goons. I’m sure his dumb a$$ will be gone in November.

saiga on April 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

just keep pokin’.

rollthedice on April 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Keep thinking that way and we will own both houses and the
White House…you foolish man…

right2bright on April 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

At least he didn’t call the government a “regime.”

/s

mankai on April 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

It really doesn’t matter what little weasels like this say about Americans anymore. They’re playing to an empty house.

Democrats representing the parasites in the country are probably safe in November. Those representing the producers (tea party folks) are toast.

November can’t come fast enough.

orlandocajun on April 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM

It appears that all Steve Cohen is missing is a dunce cap and a drop cloth. What a stain.

CantCureStupid on April 5, 2010 at 10:48 AM

But all racists are teabaggers.

So you are admitting you are a racist Rywall?
You see we are Tea PARTIERS. You on the other hand.. well Google it honey. .maybe you and Chris Mathews can take turns.

Noelie on April 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM

It’s simply the would-be gods scapegoating others, to deflect attention from what they are doing in the bowels of our nation.

We’ve seen it before:It is getting quite obvious what is going on and where their playbook was written.How soon before the night of broken glass?

What else would you expect from white-necked, abortion clingers and Rules for radicals Thumpers?

Don L on April 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Last time I checked the biggest closet Jew hater was sitting in the oval office.

ClassicCon on April 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Mmmm… looking forward to 11.2.10.

Oink on April 5, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I think this latest wave of attacks on the teaparty people could really be OK.

It’s ridiculous to put the weight on the speakers. Remember when McCain calmed his own crowd down? That earned him 3 days of bad press.

Anyway, I give credit to the pushback from Dems in that the “right” fringe elements need to understand that most of people like me, Independent, have no intesting in joining some “Reagan was God, or Obama is the worst president ever” kind in movement.

So there is some good in the “demonization” meme..

I personally think that populist movements are honenstly dangerous in some ways.

To become like the Left fringe really isn’t a worthy goal.

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Cohen is from a black district in Memphis. He is just being the typical demonrat in exploiting racial hatred in a city that carries one of thew worst, if not the worst, crime rates in the nation. Cohen is the perfect hate mongerer that uses racial hatred and class envy to incite his electorate. He is evil personified.

volsense on April 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I relate to Teaparties on issues. I enjoyed my teaparty group on that level.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of people who honestly go along and believe the rhetoric.

Ditto for left-wing groups. I find “Code Pink” just a group for dysfunctional and very neurotic people.

There are those on the right, also.

No thanks.

And that doesn’t mean I find Romney attractive as a candidate, btw.

That’s completely ridiculous. I am not about to flip to Country Club Republicans as “the” option.

The GOP has won my vote on congressional races.

President?

Not yet.

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I have no problem agreeing with “Obama is an antisemite” or “SteveCohen is an idiot,” but this constant “Jew this and Jews that” is making the HotAir crowd seem overly “Jew Crazy.” I can say this because I am a Jew and I understand why many Jews are liberal progressives, though I 100% disagree with them.

Remember, it wasn’t those “crazy Jews” that put Obama over the top, but the millions of Catholics and Christian progressives that did. Maybe you need to rant about them for a change.

papabrody on April 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Liberals are bigots. They’re bigoted against white people.
2Brave2Bscared on April 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM

They are also bigoted against minorities who are not pleased to become a permanent underclass of dependents. Much like Barbara Boxer, Steve Cohen would not hesitate to impress upon us a notice of our “lesser” status. Democrats and Liberals do like to remind us when we have forgotten our place by getting uppity and asking questions.

So I called Steve Cohen’s office to inform him that I am an American of Mexican descent who happens to be concerned with deficit spending. Shocker. No doubt alternative to the KKK slur is forthcoming! (He is probably twittering Donny Deutsch for tips.)

Threshing Flora on April 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I think this latest wave of attacks on the teaparty people could really be OK.

So there is some good in the “demonization” meme..

To become like the Left fringe really isn’t a worthy goal.

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM

What is laughable is that you feel you have enough political knowledge to comment on any subject on this site. The quickest exposure of a political lightweight is when one calls herself an “independent”. You are simply buying into the hollow “demonization” meme because you are easily persuaded and a slave to shallow influence such as pop culture.

The most dangerous people are those like yourself who are only concerned about their childish self indulgences and will politically support anyone that promises to feed those indulgences at the cost of others liberty.

ClassicCon on April 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM

ClassicCon on April 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM

And here is where I find you laughable. Every single person has one, and only one, real voice….and that is my vote.
And that is the real basis of this country. We each get our vote. And, that is valuable.

And, that right doesn’t go too far either.

So I couldn’t care less that you think I’m “uninformed” or “this-or-that.”

My vote is equal to yours. And that’s all that ultimately counts.

And, let me assure you, I vote. Every single election, whether it’s big or small.

I vote.

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM

The ‘liberal’ Dave Rywall attacked, on purpose, an American who uses a Latina moniker. He, self-proclaimed to be so ‘enlightened’, attacked a conservative woman who happens to be Latina. I found that kind of ‘liberal’ mindset to be offensive. In my mind, that’s abusive.

Liam on April 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM

That’s strange…I never assumed her to be Latina simply because she used a multicultural word in her handle. She hasn’t really advertised her background in any of her posts, either.

Man, Rywall really is racist, isn’t he?

James on April 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM

My vote is equal to yours. And that’s all that ultimately counts.

I vote.

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM

And that’s what makes us shudder.

fossten on April 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I am totally uninterested in joining some right-wing hate group, so I’m hoping that they dial down the ridiculous rhetoric.But I am equally sure that’s not the Independents like me. I’m not remotely interested or wish to support right-wing fringe groups. If the teaparties turn into a haven for those nutcases, I’ll definitely distance.AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Who’s they? Political rallies tend to attract the loonies as well as the politically engaged, so it’s important to know who you’re referencing.Having attended a big Tea Party, the ratio of normal folk to loons was way better than any Leftie protest I’ve ever seen (and I’ve seen a lot). Have you been to one and seen what they look like for yourself?

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This is the same garbage the Dems. were dishing out in the 60′s, everyone that wasn’t a Dem. was racist, against the poor, they were there to help lift the underprivledged out of poverty,NOT!!!!

If this were true how is it there us still so much poverty and under education in the black community after 50 years, I wish the black community would realize that the Dems. are not trying to help them, they are just trying to keep them poor and subservient, the public education system is designed to keep them there. PLEASE WAKE UP

concernedsenior on April 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Ann, before you go out on a limb for Cohen: He suceeds Harld Ford, Jr, who was beqeathed this seat by his dad, Harld Ford, Sr, who held it for 22 years. The Fords used to hand out turkeys at Thanksgiving and government cheese to their consituency. Cohen won after Jr left for a failed Senate seat campaign. Former 20 plus years Memphis Mayor “King” Willie Herenton is going to cream him in the primary for this overwhelmingly Black district. Cohen, a long time Memphis politician, who is Jewish, is the object of rumors about his sexuality. He needs to change his name to Custer. He will not return to Congress.

kingsjester on April 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Let’s see Cohen look a tea party protester straight in the eye and spew that sewage.

Edouard on April 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

November 2nd…….November 2nd…….November 2nd!!!!

PappyD61 on April 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Ugh, that ugly smug mug. Almost as bad in its way as Pelosi’s open-mouthed head-back hyena laugh.

Mary in LA on April 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I can just picture these fools screaming “Racist” at the automatic voting machines this November!

keats5 on April 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM

And that’s what makes us shudder.

fossten on April 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM

The gallows are calling
For you to pay for this
The reason
The helpless celebrate
He takes us
He takes us
From our violent shame I think that these would be truthful

Christiangothkitty on April 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

AnninCA on April 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Are you getting paid to post this inuendo Ann?

Care to link us to this “ridiculous rhetoric” you speak of?, or perhpas show us how the local tea party is sponsored by a “hate group”?

JusDreamin on April 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Steve Cohen is just another Democrat coward, name calling ignorant liberal. Only despicable liberals can get away with calling true patriotic Americans a mob “without robes and hoods.” Only this scum gets away with saying these patriotic Americans oppose African Americans (while there were African Americans in the Tea Party group) and hostility towards gays…I mean… come on… how about baby killers, or war mongers. This man and other far left liberal socialists are seeking to destroy our American way of life and replace it with a big brother government right out of George Orwell’s 1984. Well Mr. Cohen…. you’ve got a fight on your hands and November 2010 is only the beginning!

afotia on April 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Let’s just cut to the chase here. Cohen is no different than Maxine Waters, John Lewis, Jessie Jackson Jr. etc, etc, etc. They say racists things in everyone of their campaigns and the press ignores it. They actually run against “Whites” or white things and ideas daily. Cohen is from an almost all black district so he knows he will be praised by most of his constituents. He will get his comeuppence when a black decides to run against him. It will be all about color and not about his “Black” record. I think the Black Caucus should get themselves a set of black hoods and robes for their next meeting.

inspectorudy on April 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM

All that’s missing from the Democrat Party are brains and ethics.

Hawthorne on April 6, 2010 at 12:49 PM

CIVIL?

Hey Senator Tom Coburn probably thinks this guy is a “nice guy”.

Coburn…..YOU ARE THE PROBLEM WITH THE GOP!!!! You and your crappy Party show flashes of standing up for Conservative values and then you get all kissy-kissy with the other side.

No wonder McCain (the political whore he is) likes Coburn!!!

PappyD61 on April 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM