Doctor tells ObamaCare supporters to find another urologist

posted at 12:55 pm on April 2, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

One doctor has decided to make his opposition to ObamaCare as public as possible.  Dr. Jack Cassell put a sign on his door telling patients who supported the health-care overhaul bill to find another urologist.  He’s also stocking his waiting room with information on the problems in ObamaCare — and so far, most of his patients have agreed with him:

A doctor who considers the national health-care overhaul to be bad medicine for the country posted a sign on his office door telling patients who voted for President Barack Obama to seek care “elsewhere.”

“I’m not turning anybody away — that would be unethical,” Dr. Jack Cassell, 56, a Mount Dora urologist and a registered Republican opposed to the health plan, told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday. “But if they read the sign and turn the other way, so be it.”

The sign reads: “If you voted for Obama … seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your healthcare begin right now, not in four years.”

Critics raised questions about Cassell’s ethics.  Doctors are not allowed to refuse treatment to patients on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation in Florida, but political differences aren’t covered by the ethics regulations.  Cassell says he wouldn’t refuse to treat supporters of the new law, but he wants to make his displeasure with it publicly known so that those who disagree can choose to get treated elsewhere.

How has that played in terms of Cassell’s business?  His wife, who is running for local office as a Republican, says the doctor has gotten three complaints since posting the sign and publishing criticisms of the bill in his waiting room.  The majority of the feedback has been “overwhelmingly supportive,” she claims.

Doctors have the right to free speech, and if critics think that doctors should just shut up and treat people, then they haven’t been to the local family practice lately.  Doctors and nurses have been buzzing about this bill with patients (and anyone else who will listen) over their concerns about ObamaCare.  They may not have gone as far as Cassell and posted their feelings on the door, but my experiences over the last few months suggest that they’re not much less shy about their skepticism and alarm over the bill.

The Orlando Sentinel has their own interactive poll on this, so be sure to read the article and cast a vote there, but let’s ask a somewhat different poll here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Its called freedom.

rob verdi on April 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM

The federal government has been meddling in this physician’s business his entire career.

Why shouldn’t he be able to express an opinion?

Our jackass president, who is supposed to work for us, gets to shoot off his ignorant mouth and denounce anyone who doesn’t agree with his idiotic policy.

So we’re just supposed to STFU and take it? Is this Russia?

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

rob verdi on April 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Im sorry, 53% of the nation voted AGAINST that in November ’08

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I’m sure lefties will go all apoplectic over this…”More right wing threats of violence”, etc, etc, blah, blah.

AUINSC on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

They can say what they want but shouldn’t be shocked when it hurts their bottom line. Kind of like Hollywood constantly making money losing anti-Iraq movies.

Shtetl G on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Grow fins has to start all over again?

Bishop on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Good for him! I hope more follow suit. Doctors are important members of our communities and they have just as much right to free speech as anyone else.

OneVision on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for bringing the country together Zero…

PatriotRider on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

At the Orlando Sentinel poll right now there are 85% supporting the doctor.

INC on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Yikes! There’s nothing worrse tha a “pissed off” urologist.

GreenBlade on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Of course if you read the Orlando Slantinel article “Teacups” Grayson had to throw some venom in response.

JohnBG on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Progressives have a hard time understanding the concept of freedom…

d1carter on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Is this Russia?

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

It will be soon enough if we cant stop 0bama and the progressives.

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I like it, but he will pay for it somehow, mark my words. He will have some powerful local Dems on his a$$ from now on and at the very least they will cause mischief for him. Just like Joe the Plumber, they are already digging for dirt on him. But Bravo Zulu to the Doc!

Johnnyreb on April 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM

It’s a little over-the-top. I actually think the flyers he has in the waiting room are a much better way of fighting Obamacare. Educating the electorate is the only way to defeat these idiots.

That being said, I anticipate we’ll be seeing a lot more of this in the future. People who mindlessly cast a ballot for Obama could fine themselves being turned away by businesses or targeted by their employers as first on the chopping block should layoffs occur.

Doughboy on April 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Well it’s a free country… or at least it was…

How does this work anyway? If this is unlawful discrimination… then isn’t it unlawful discrimination to deny medicare patients?

Skywise on April 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Grow fins has to start all over again?

Bishop on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

He/she/it gets another chance not to read the article and get his/her/it’s douche a$$ handed to her/him/it.

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Obama had no problem rolling out doctors and nurses in white coats to stand behind him when he made speeches on this disaster of a bill, so why shouldn’t doctors who take a different view be able to express themselves?

WeHoCon on April 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

It is too bad that there are not more like this Doctor.

upinak on April 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

How could it be argued that they can’t express their opinion?

whbates on April 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

This ObamaCare mess directly affects doctors, the healthcare industry. They should be able to speak out as they see fit.

Good for you sir.

portlandon on April 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

On Sunday, columnist Frank Rich of The New York Times will be calling this “McCarthyism.”

Emperor Norton on April 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

They wanted a war when they passed this atrocity through “reconciliation” and flipped the bird at the established legislative process, and the Constitution of the United States. Let them have war.

quikstrike98 on April 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Dr. Cassell elevating the stature of doctors single handedly.

fourdeucer on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Emperor Norton on April 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Nothing wrong with a little McCarthyism to get the Red out :)

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Is this Russia?

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

It will be soon enough if we cant stop 0bama and the progressives.

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Yep, I can almost see Russia from my house, and I’m in Georgia.

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Progressives have a hard time understanding the concept of freedom…

d1carter on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

They think it only applies to license.

You should be able to drug and sex yourself silly. Freedom of choice belongs soley to abortion, nude dancing and the freedom to fill up your bodily orifices with foreign objects.

But as our elite socialist betters have a divine right from Gaia, we just need to go to the corner and color when it comes to politics, because astounding mediocrities like Barack Obama, know better than we.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

C’mon, Ed, import the comments from the headlines. GF and ernesto don’t want to type out thier dipstickedness all over again!

bikermailman on April 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Yep, I can almost see Russia from my house, and I’m in Georgia.

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hmmm.. if you can see it from your house… Does that mean Russia is in my living room?

WTH brought Putin in?

upinak on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Wolftech on April 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM

He’s still talking to Axelrod about how to answer whether docs are being unethical if they turn down Medicare patients.

Bishop on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Won’t it be great when a Dem doctor does the same.

Otis B on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

well, the question is poorly written. Look, if DirecTV called me and said, “hey look, HR-1101 will cause your bill to go up and ban HD signals between 8pm and midnight,” that’s cool. The business needs to be able to explain how laws will affect them. If DirecTV started calling me a teabagging racist, then that would be CNN. But you see the difference, politics related to their business is cool with me. Just as long as the explanation isn’t accompanied by union thugs performing a Kenneth Gladney on me.

joeindc44 on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

If I sit in a military medical facility waiting room and have to listen to Obama bad mouth half the country who disagrees with him (on CNN) on Obamacare, while civilian employees at said facility cheerlead, then yes, this guy can do whatever the hell he wants.

catmman on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Once had an ophthalmologist who complained about the WOT. Not just that he was against it, but how illegal it was and how the troops were committing crimes. I have a new ophthalmologist.

I kind of like knowing what the people I give money to think.

cozmo on April 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I’m glad this guy is expressing himself since the President is talking today about the kind of medicine he thinks Drs. should practice. Does anybody else have as hard a time listening to that as I do? I hope those who voted for Obama/Omabamcare like having another tier of bureaucrats telling them just what the options are — or more certainly — what they are NOT. “Bureaucracy is the art of making the possible impossible.” My M.D. has said “I’m a smart guy — I can find something else to do if I need to…”

mubando on April 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

How long before “Ferret Face” Waxman calls this doc up to the Hall of the Inquisition?

Wine_N_Dine on April 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Obots All Wee-Weed Up

Christien on April 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

joeindc44 on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

what are you smoking?

upinak on April 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Well it’s a free country… or at least it was…

Skywise on April 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM

It would also be unlawful discrimination to target smokers, white women who want to tan indoors, and folks who just want to have a Coke and a smile with targeted taxes also, wouldn’t it?

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Several years ago the GP I was seeing was in his late 70′s. Not only would he express his political views during an office visit, but he also hosted a weekly local radio talk show, presumably the theme was to be medical, but usually wound up political. Needless to say, he was a staunch conservative.

That is a doctor’s right. If you don’t like his views, you can always find another doctor, at least now.

Oleta on April 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM

WTH brought Putin in?

upinak on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Yep, your bedroom is right in the middle of Red Square!

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM

catmman on April 2, 2010 at 1:05 PM

If there’s anything more irritating then CNN blaring in a public space, I can’t think of it.

Complain to the OOD, CDO and the CO if necessary and say it’s impairing your mental health and distracting the employees. Next time you go there, it will be on closed captioning and you can ignore the CNN bleatings.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Until the doggone ACLU changes that too.

fourdeucer on April 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Good for the Doctor, he states he won’t refuse to treat anyone… but if people read it and it leads them not to come in so be it.

WhoU4 on April 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I voted two, and will quote my headline comment to explain why:

This sign seems unprofessional to me, and I am troubled by it…

But not as troubled by this as I am the “logical” conclusion that the only physicians with Free Speech rights are those wearing Obama-issued white coats at a White House press conference.

Maybe the doc could respond with a “truce offer;”

“I’ll take down this sign immediately after the POTUS promises to stop using docs to talk up Obamacare!”

cs89 on April 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM

cs89 on April 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

When I saw this I could only think of a quote from Atlas Shrugged:

“I quit when medicine was placed under State control some years ago,” said Dr. Hendricks. “Do you know what it takes to perform a brain operation? Do you know the kind of skill it demands, and the years of passionate, merciless, excruciating devotion that go to acquire that skill? That was what I could not place at the disposal of men whose sole qualification to rule me was their capacity to spout the fraudulent generalities that got them elected to the privilege of enforcing their wishes at the point of a gun. I would not let them dictate the purpose for which my years of study had been spent, or the conditions of my work, or my choice of patients, or the amount of my reward. I observed that in all the discussions that preceded the enslavement of medicine, men discussed everything—except the desires of the doctors. Men considered only the ‘welfare’ of the patients, with no thought for those who were to provide it. That a doctor should have any right, desire or choice in the matter, was regarded as irrelevant selfishness; his is not to choose, they said, but ‘to serve.’ That a man’s willing to work under compulsion is too dangerous a brute to entrust with a job in the stockyards—never occurred to those who proposed to help the sick by making life impossible for the healthy. I have often wondered at the smugness at which people assert their right to enslave me, to control my work, to force my will, to violate my conscience, to stifle my mind—yet what is it they expect to depend on, when they lie on an operating table under my hands? Their moral code has taught them to believe that it is safe to rely on the virtue of their victims. Well, that is the virtue I have withdrawn. Let them discover the kind of doctors that their system will now produce. Let them discover, in the operating rooms and hospital wards, that it is not safe to place their lives in the hands of a man they have throttled. It is not safe, if he is the sort of man who resents it—and still less safe, if he is the sort who doesn’t.”

dahat on April 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Patients have the freedom to choose whether or not to see a doctor for a urologic problem. Doctors have the freedom to choose whether or not to treat them. It is a mutually beneficial relationship. The patient receives care that could help them, the doctor receives a fee and an opportunity to practice and express his/her skills to a potentially beneficial end–resulting in a healthier and more comfortable patient, and job satisfaction for the physician. When that is perverted, then there will be more suffering. Say it ain’t so….ask Dr. Cassell.

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I emailed the link to my doctor. Hope he does the same.

farright on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

upinak, I am referring to the poll Allah put up. If the doctor were to talk about some piece of politics not related to medical care, then that’s not appropriate.

joeindc44 on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Yikes! There’s nothing worrse tha a “pissed off” urologist.

You have no idea how badly I wanted to use that on the front page, but restrained myself out of good taste. I think I may have seriously sprained something, it was that painful. ;-)

Ed Morrissey on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Sign on 7-eleven store:

“No shirt, no shoes, no service”

same same in this instance. Patronage has its privileges and responsibilities.

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Its called freedom.

rob verdi on April 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM

“Which is why it must be considered illegal, immediately.”

-BHO

Daggett on April 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I’m a physician. I’d love to have the same sign. But I think it’s disrespectful to my black patients. And I’m contracted with Aetna, Cigna, Humana, BCBS, TriCare, medicare and Medicaid – who I would all expect to send letters of termination.

Marcus on April 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Skywise on April 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM

It says he will see patients who agree with Obamacare, but he wants to make it known he would prefer not to.

Physicians are not ethically bound to treat referrals. He’s a specialist, so presumably he’s not seeing patients in dire need of treatment and I would presume that if they are in need of treatment, he would of course do so.

Physicians don’t have to accept Medicare either and they are not ethically bound to accept Medicare patients in a non-emergent situation.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

fourdeucer on April 2, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Aw….you know the ACLU is for EVERYBODY’S free speech rights. Wait a minute……….

tgharris on April 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Marcus on April 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM

No worries, doc; they’ll all be out of business soon enough.

jimmy2shoes on April 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM

So far, 11% don’t think or don’t know if the doctor should be doing this for some reason.

Another interesting fact: ~11% of High School grads can’t pass a civics test.

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM

joeindc44 on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

1. you are an idiot
2. It was ED not Allah.. aka learn to read.
3. READ THE QUESTIONS AGAIN
4. READ THE QUESTIONS AGAIN
5. Then come talk to me about how you can’t read.
6. Then you can explain why Doctors have to bend to the will of the Government when the Government never bends for anyone except those who want to hurt the masses.

I hope you understand me… Though I doubt it.

upinak on April 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I’d probably look for another physician if I found out he/she was an ardent supporter of Obowma and his Deathcare.

Fortunately, after talking with my current docs, NONE of them voted for him or support the legislation.

tru2tx on April 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Haha!

He should write it in español too…

Glenn Jericho on April 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Sign at a Proctologist office:

Sorry Obama voters but we are incapable of removing your head out of your rectum. Please find a Neurologist to solve your problem.

Sign at a Neurologist’s Office

Sorry Obama voters, but you have no brains for us to fix. Find a Proctologist’s office to rectify your problem.

Holger on April 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

While I’m in support of the content of this doctor’s message, I’m not sure politics in general really belong here. It’s not so much a “shut up and treat me” issue as its like having a political argument during a wedding ceremony … it just seems a little out of place.

Heralder on April 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

At the Orlando Sentinel poll right now there are 85% supporting the doctor.

INC on April 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

–Drudge has a link to the article and poll. My guess is that there are alot of non-Florida residents taking the poll.

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Haha!

He should write it in español too…

Glenn Jericho on April 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

And Harry Reid’s idea of black dialect, too.

Daggett on April 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Now that’s a urologist with stones!

Insomniac on April 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Nor are they required to provide services to anyone who walks in the door.

The only legally required provision of healthcare is levied on public hospital emergency rooms. I’m not clear about private hospitals (is the Mayo clinic required to treat a street urchin with a runny nose?).

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Several years ago the GP I was seeing was in his late 70’s. Not only would he express his political views during an office visit, but he also hosted a weekly local radio talk show, presumably the theme was to be medical, but usually wound up political. Needless to say, he was a staunch conservative.

Oleta on April 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM

–One of my doctors also discusses his political views with me. I just postponed my next appointment with him…….

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Obama “pisses” off another doctor.

SmallGovtGuy on April 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Now that’s a urologist with stones!

Insomniac on April 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM

next up, a proctologist with a case of the ass.

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Good for the Good Doctor.

May thousands of others soon join him. You liberal dunces do NOT own the labor of doctors, food growers, housing providers etc. If you don’t like their ‘terms of service’ go find some provider that shares your values.

And if 0bama-Pelousy-Reid continue in their same direction, may all the doctors who love their freedom more than they love money, join us out at The Gulch.

LegendHasIt on April 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak. And it is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians. Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn’t. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let man label you as they may. If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country- hold up your head! You have nothing to be ashamed of.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on April 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM

While I voted for the “free speech” angle, I think this doctor should have handled things different instead of implying that he won’t treat Obama supporters.

I would have preferred it if the sign had said he doesn’t support ObamaCare and had the pamphlets inside his office distributed to everyone. With the implication that only McCain voters are welcome, it dilutes his point takes his anger out on the wrong people.

Esthier on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Good for him. Political affiliation and military status are NOT protected classes. I had this explained to me by the legal assistance JAG when I complained about anti-military prejudice being practiced out in town by housing agents.

I’m also seeing offices advising their patients they are not accepting Medicaid or Medicare. All of my specialists do not accept either, and a dwindling list of insurance providers.

I support this physician’s right to free speech, and his right to charge what the market will bear for his services.

I note that no attorneys are interested in government regulation over what they can charge or the terms of their contracts with their clients.

Physicians make a lot of sacrifices and delayed personal gratification to complete their training. They are out of the job market and not earning an income for a long time compared to their HS graduating class peers.

Medical care is not a “right”.

Water is one of the few true essentials absolutely required to sustain life — and yet, no one expects the water company to supply my house for free. If I don’t pay, I get shut off. I am free to drink tap water or to buy chi-chi bottled water, there are many choices in the marketplace for this life-sustaining fluid.

But no one ever tells me it must be FREE and others are obligated to work and be taxed in order to provide to me.

YTZGal on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Ed Morrissey on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Not knocking AP, but that’s one of the differences between you two. Each has its place.

bikermailman on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I don’t agree with the doc’s approach but certainly understand his frustration. My friend’s dad, an oncologist, was forced to retire after spending his retirement money on paying for care which Medicare/Medicaid wouldn’t reimburse him.

For all the blather from the left about this – just wait until your ordinary govt. worker/triage nurse has access to your IRS records as part of the healthcare overhaul. Hmm…want a test or procedure? One quick look here to see who you’ve donated to…a pro-life C4? Um…wait in the back….far in the back.

quiz1 on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Grow fins has to start all over again?

Bishop on April 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

redridinghood on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Heralder on April 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Yeah. Let’s forget that politicians have just assumed control of the medical industry….but discussing the two together is “out of place”.

Just crawled out a cave or something? Or have you not been paying attention for the last year or so?

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Ed Morrissey on April 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I would have liked to see that, or…

Urologist Tells Obama Voters to Piss Off

Daggett on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Esthier on April 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM

–He probably should have written “If you support ObamaCare, find another doctor.”

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Why is it that the left thinks that two significant groups—pastors, and doctors should refrain from expressing their political views? This is why, right here. They’re effective.

Preachers are to shutup and preach–just not about politics
Doctors are supposed to shutup and doctor–just not about politics

these two groups are some of the most professionally and personally powerful cohorts of people in our country. They really, really need to speak up and take this issue into their hands.

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Urologist Tells Obama Voters to Piss Off

Daggett on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

better to be pissed off, than pissed on….and I’m sure many urologists have endured both conditions….

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

jimmy2shoes

Marcus on April 2, 2010 at 1:12 PM

No worries, doc; they’ll all be out of business soon enough.

Heh. Good one.

Mike Honcho on April 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Doctors have the freedom to choose whether or not to treat them. ….

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

One of my BILs was a urologist and devout Catholic. Due to his religious beliefs he would not perform vasectomies. He would refer his patients to someone who would do the procedure but he personally would not. He also accepted very few insurance plans. Didn’t seem to hurt his practice.

katiejane on April 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Doctors have an ethical commitment to treat people.

A moral responsibility to help the sick.

And a financial responsibility to stay solvent to do those things.

At the end doctors will stop accepting insurance so as to remain solvent so they can continue their practice.

ajacksonian on April 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

The nice thing about capitalism is that if you disagree with your capitalist doctor you can find a more socialist one if you want. Of course, that’s if the government is capitalist as well. If it’s not you can’t go the other way. A little intolerant donchathink?

shick on April 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Aw….you know the ACLU is for EVERYBODY’S free speech rights. Wait a minute……….

tgharris on April 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Everyone who is a jihadi, or pedophile, or atheist, or union member, or…

bikermailman on April 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Someone is gonna get all wee-weed up.

farright on April 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

The best comeback for any moron that says healthcare is a right, ask the if doctors have the right to quit their jobs. Or in this case, refuse service. Which this doctor isn’t even advocating. If only more doctors would make similar statements.

oddjob1138 on April 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Another interesting fact: ~11% of High School grads can’t pass a civics test.

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I think that’s also a product of the way it’s phrased. I believe the doctor has the right to do this, but I also don’t think this is the way he should be doing it.

I clicked the free speech option, but I would have prefered a different one.

Esthier on April 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I think that the first (and most popular) item should have been split: They ALWAYS have the right to express their opinion vs. They have the right to express opinions in the office on matters which will affect their relationships with their patients.

njcommuter on April 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I bet he’s heart-broken. I’m assuming you and he have different views on most things. You’re thinking he’s sorry about not thinking like you and wishes you’d come back?

Fantasy.

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

That’s your right, and I hope you enjoy the freedom we have to do so.

cs89 on April 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Preachers are to shutup and preach–just not about politics
Doctors are supposed to shutup and doctor–just not about politics

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

–It’s not the left. It’s because they’re both selling something: religious and medical services (some of you might disagree with how I’ve defined what preachers do). And any good salesperson will tell you it doesn’t make sense to offend a potential customer.

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Strongly support this guy’s action, and to answer an obvious question, yes I accept that turnabout would be fair play. In fact, I welcome having socialist doctors and socialist providers of all services self-identify, because I want Nothing to do with supporting them.

james23 on April 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Fantasy.

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM

–So why was his receptionist so eager to reschedule? (I didn’t share my political views with him. Frankly, I thought it was none of his business.)

Jimbo3 on April 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

BobMbx on April 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Probably not, but I bet they would.

Medical facilities give away billions of dollars in free care a year, as do individual physicians, as do pharmaceutical companies, as do charitable hospitals, etc.

Lower reimbursement rates and facilities will increasingly be unable to afford to provide free care.

Another reason why this “reform” bill will not lower costs.

NoDonkey on April 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM

ted c on April 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Pastors can and have caused their Churches to lose their tax exempt status by preaching from the pulpit. There are many reasons they should not engage in preaching and politics.

Johnnyreb on April 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Alan Grayson and the other Neo-Marxists probably consider this hate speech. Should ObamaCare ever metastasize into the Single Payer wet dream of the Marxists, in the future a medical worker (the term “doctor” will have been extinguished from the vocabulary) who protests this way will get a visit from an SEIU member, at that time run by Andy Stern XIV.

EMD on April 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Good for him. Get the truth out there in any way you can. Can’t depend on the media to do it anymore.

gophergirl on April 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM