Video: Pawlenty’s Facebook town hall

posted at 10:55 am on March 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty will hold a Facebook town hall tonight at 7:15 pm ET, and last night he spoke to Greta van Susteren on Fox News to discuss it, the Tea Party, and the effort to sue the federal government over the ObamaCare mandate. The Facebook event will serve as a platform to announce the first endorsements from Pawlenty’s Freedom First PAC, but also to take questions from participants and to get suggestions for the next wave of endorsements. Pawlenty has nothing but praise for such grassroots efforts in this segment on Fox, telling van Susteren that the Tea Party is a “great addition to the conservative coalition” that holds “great energy” for change in the US; “I welcome it,” Pawlenty finishes.

On the lawsuit, Pawlenty sounds hopeful that the current MN Attorney General Lori Swanson will decide to join more than a dozen other states in challenging the mandates in ObamaCare. Swanson is a Democrat (DFL in Minnesota), which makes it a tough decision, but Pawlenty is heartened that Swanson has yet to say no to filing or joining a lawsuit to protect against federal encroachment. Can Minnesota do anything without Swanson? Not initially, but that’s yet another reason why elections have consequences — and Swanson’s job is up for election in November:

I’ll interview Tim Pawlenty live on The Ed Morrissey Show today, which starts at 3 pm ET, to discuss the Facebook town hall and all of these other issues. In the spirit of that event, let’s see what kind of questions Hot Air readers have for Pawlenty. I’ll review the comments and the TEMS chat room for the best and/or most-asked questions and get answers for you during our 30-minute chat with the Governor.

Comments

Good for you Pawlenty. The more people vocally fighting this administration the better.

portlandon on March 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Mr. Flat Tax?

Nah*

No thanks.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The more people vocally fighting this administration the better.

portlandon on March 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Yes indeed. Right now the focus and effort need to be all voices speaking out against the bad and corrupt policies. Later we can scrutinize who sat on the couch with whom.

sherry on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Dear Mr. Pawlenty,

How awesome is Sarah Palin? You’re going to vote for her for President, RIGHT?

Sincerely,

The Hotair Palinistas

Vyce on March 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Pawlenty isn’t at the top of my list, but he’s a far sight better than Nancy Pelosi (D- Kaiser Permanente)

cs89 on March 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM

My questions: Would Pawlenty be willing to take on environmental extremists, vis-a-vis Henry Waxman, to enable common sense approaches to energy independence, such as nuclear power and natural gas exploration?

Would he adopt a Reaganesque foreign policy stance, i.e. a position of strength rather than a conciliatory “mea culpa” posture?

Would he push for flatter tax structures and take on the overblown power of the IRS?

I probably have more questions, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Thanks.

College Prof on March 31, 2010 at 11:26 AM

My question, same for all potential hopefuls for 2012:

If you were in charge, how would you go about fixing the mess left to you by this administration and out-of-control Congress?

How would you go about mending fences with our allies?

How would you fix healthcare?

How would you pay down the deficit inherited from Obama?

How would you help hopelessly mismanaged cities like Detroit or Washington DC?

How should enemy combatants be incarcerated, tried, and released?

and (for fun)…. May we see a copy of your birth certificate?

highhopes on March 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Good Facebook Group…

I bet we can find 1,000,000+ people who disapprove of the Health Care Bill

Already at 1.1 mil

tetriskid on March 31, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Why is Clinton promoting abortion in Canada?

ninjapirate on March 31, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Why does Pawlenty always look glazed over like he’s just smoked a fatty with Willie Nelson?

He’s a McCainiac, not to be trusted.

Western_Civ on March 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM

OK, I saw Pawlenty last night on Greta. I noticed something different about him. I am convinced he has had Botox treatment between his eyes. Here is before:

Am I wrong?

Lori on March 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I have a feeling the number of comments on this thread will be reflective of the participation for tonight’s Facebook event.

heshtesh on March 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Is it just me or has TPaw changed his hair style? Gone is the mullet Steve Perry look…

As for the FB townhall, interesting concept, but he still has no chance in 2012.

davek70 on March 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I hate to be superficial, but this guy looks like a used car salesman to me.

ProfessorMiao on March 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Do you still support subsidies for ethanol and Bio diesel?

Do you see any ethical problems with burning food?

jpmn on March 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM

In favor of curbing the rampant corruption in congress with term limits?

loudmouth883 on March 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

You have had three terms as Governor of MN, how much has the State budget been cut? (It has Grown)

Why are you referred to as “Governor Green” by some conservatives?

jpmn on March 31, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Why did you have to endorse John McCain????

OMG!! I can never support Pawlenty now!!!11ty!!!

portlandon on March 31, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Sin taxes and gasohol for all!

OMG! It’s 70 degrees again today…a whole 10-15 degrees away from a record. It’s teh global warming! Help me Timmy, help me!

MNHawk on March 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Ed -

I know T-Paw is a favorite of yours, but he comes across as very weak and the Al Franken recount(s) did not come off well.

bw222 on March 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Now if T-Paw can convert these 21 comments into 1 million or so Facebook followers, he’ll be in business.

james23 on March 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM