Video: Fiorina vs DeVore on Hannity

posted at 3:30 pm on March 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The big question from this appearance hosted by Sean Hannity last night isn’t who won, but why Tom Campbell didn’t show. Did he hope that Carly Fiorina and Chuck DeVore would go after each other, doing more damage than good to both and leave him alone? They did manage to ding each other — DeVore more on the attack than Fiorina — but they also raised their own visibility in the process. Both promised to endorse the primary winner, but probably not with a tremendous amount of enthusiasm after last night. Hannity tosses the famous Reagan 11th Commandment towards the end, but suggests a rather humorous new name for his show by the end of it:

DEVORE: And when it comes to the issues, I think there are some distinctions that voters need to know about. For example, the confirmation of Sonya Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court. Barbara Boxer, Carly Fiorina, Tom Campbell, all said yes.

FIORINA: Sean, you know that’s not true.

DEVORE: Well, actually you were on the record as saying that you supported her.

FIORINA: You know that’s not true.

DEVORE: Another issue is the bailout of Wall Street. When Carly Fiorina was the chief economic adviser to John McCain —

FIORINA: Also you know that’s not true.

DEVORE: — she said on MSNBC that she was in favor of the bailout of Wall Street. She was promoting it.

HANNITY: Oh boy, a fight’s about to break out. What is that 11th Commandment that Ronald Reagan…

DEVORE: It’s about issues, not personalities.

HANNITY: These are important things. And I — we invited you both on the program.

FIORINA: It’s important to know that Chuck and I have been over this ground many, many times. I am on record many, many times not supporting the bailout. The thing that I would just leave this with…

HANNITY: We can call this “Fiorina & Devore,” sort of like “Hannity & Colmes.”

I’d say they both came across well in this appearance, although DeVore certainly came across as the most aggressive. Fiorina didn’t get much of a chance to respond, but may have impressed some by attempting to pull the conversation back to Barbara Boxer. Californians may be asking themselves, “Who’s Tom Campbell?” after watching this exchange.

Update: Fixed “Amendment” to “Commandment.” Also, a Campbell supporter says that he had to teach a class that day and couldn’t get from Orange County to Simi Valley in time for the show. I can confirm from personal experience that such a drive would take hours to complete, especially during the week.

Comments

Buh-bye Babs.

Akzed on March 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Tom knows better than to show up. It wouldve brought a lot of embarassing moments since he is far from being a Hannity viewer.

Apologetic California on March 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

What are Babs chances in the polls. She is definitely vulnerable, correct? This is a potentially huge victory for Republicans and fiscal conservatives if either of these candidates pull it off.

Mr. Joe on March 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Campbell does’t want to show up @ any venue where he can be questioned about his membership of the Congressional Muslimm Caucus and his associations with AlArian ..

macncheez on March 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Ahem. Who is Tom Campbell?

Vince on March 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Tom Campbell? Is that Glenn’s son?

PappaMac on March 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM

macncheez on March 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Wow.

Akzed on March 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM

As I listened to it last night, I understood Hannity to have set ground rules that discussion was to go after Boxer and not each other. DeVore ignored that rule while Fiorina seemed to try to follow it. Thus the more ‘agressive’ DeVore. He actually lost points with me because of that.

mjzman on March 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Watched it live…

… Good showing by both.

Too bad the Teacher’s, Labor, and Public Employee Unions control the State and won’t stop until it resembles the ooze that flows down hill from a Tijuana slum…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Tom’s also hurt by his support for a ballot measure raising taxes in the last election. I’m not sure what Fiorina’s position on that was (if she was even paying attention, then), but DeVore would have hammered him on it.

Carly’s flat-out lie about Sotomayor is disturbing. I can handle someone taking a position I disagree with, but don’t lie about it. Especially not when the facts are so easily checked.

irishspy on March 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Watched it last night. Carly talks too much, says too little. Maybe that will play in Cali, but I also see why upper management at HP didn’t care for her. She has a tendency to focus on the positive and gloss over problems. She talks a lot when she is nervous and shows. DeVore was a study in contrast, he needed to say more, but could not get a word in edgewise. He needs to be more forceful. He seemed to be intimidated by her. Neither was able to make their case effectively last night.

Angry Dumbo on March 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Fiorina is a lame McCain Republican.

therightwinger on March 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I have been following DeVore for almost a year on FB. The guy seems to be a very solid Conservative. Very!

I watched this last night. I felt like DeVore could not get in a word edgewise, and Sean kept saying he would let DeVore, “get in the last word”. Sean seemed to also be under the impression that Carly was speaking quite a bit. I do not think this was due to Chuck being intimidated, but rather attributed to a Conservative male being concerned he might look like an ogre to some. Or rude. Which he was not.

I will also say the man was telling the absolute truth about her stances regarding the Stimulus and everything else he brought up.

I saw him on Beck about 4 weeks ago. Beck had on Carly first, and then Chuck. There are most definitely differences, and those of you who can vote in California need to look up the video from Beck and watch it!

freeus on March 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Not DeVore’s finest moment, but I still prefer him.

ctmom on March 31, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I find Fiorina a bit annoying. I did like what I saw from DeVore and was glad to learn that he’s a Lt. Col. in the Army Reserve.

CP on March 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Fiorina is quite the quota-queen herself

“I like to remind people that women are not a constituency — women are a majority,” Fiorina said during her Wednesday night speech in Sacramento, hosted by California Women Lead, a nonpartisan group that encourages women to seek public office. “Women are the majority of voters and we will never have a truly representative democracy unless women make up half, at least, of our elected representatives.”

macncheez on March 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Btw, the latest poll I’ve seen shows 44% are still undecided in this primary, so there’s room for any one of them to move a good bit.

CP on March 31, 2010 at 4:11 PM

mjzman on March 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I agree. This was the time to attack Boxer. DeVore did not come across well to me.

bw222 on March 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Hardly

The Ugly American on March 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I’m voting for Devore and probably for Poizner… Whitman and Fiorina are both RINOs… Oh and I just can’t get over Fiorina spying on HP employees or Whitman gushing over Van Jones…

CCRWM on March 31, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I hope so. DeVore would be the best Senate. That said, NOTHING could be worse than more Boxer.

peski on March 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Carly Fiorina is a RINO, plain and simple. DeVore is not!

tomshup on March 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM

DeVore came off as a bit of a jerk for going after Fiorina. Would have looked better if they would have closed ranks. What is the deal with Carly’s hair. Bad move.

R Square on March 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM

What is the deal with Carly’s hair. Bad move.

R Square on March 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM

She is recovering from chemotherapy

macncheez on March 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I guess I missed the whitman / van jones connection. What’s that all about?

R Square on March 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I’m on my iPhone as I wait for a meeting so I don’t have access to a link but google Meg Whitman and Van Jones and the first hit is a video og her praising him and after that a bunch of articles…

Electing her won’t help Ca neither will electing Fiorina who would be justliene the Maine sisters we can’t rely on…

CCRWM on March 31, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Hey Ed- I think you meant to say Reagan’s 11th COMMANDMENT, not Amendment.

WeHoCon on March 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM

We’re gonna do it this time.
We’re gonna do it this time.
We’re gonna get rid of the witch.
We’re gonna do it this time.

John the Libertarian on March 31, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Chuck Devore was a jerk. He had the audacity to begin launching attacks against a fellow Republican at President Reagan’s library?

Hannity looked weak and vacillating trying to stop it.

Jdripper on March 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

IMHO, Fiorina was probably smart to stay focused on criticizing Boxer, and also to support the primary winner if she loses, whereas DeVore may have come across as petty by criticizing Fiorina.

What are Babs chances in the polls. She is definitely vulnerable, correct?

The last poll I saw was a PPIC poll from March 25:

Campbell 44, Boxer 43 (+1)
Fiorina 43, Boxer 44 (-1)
DeVore 40, Boxer 46 (-6)

Boxer IS vulnerable, and Real Clear Politics rates the California Senate race as a “toss-up”. Fiorina probably helped herself by going after Boxer; DeVore probably hurt himself by going after Fiorina, and Campbell probably hurt himself by not showing up.

Maybe a little off-topic, but Meg Whitman was VERY impressive on Hannity last night. She made Ahnuld look like a girley-man in comparison.

Steve Z on March 31, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I think DeVore is the way to go. Time to go for broke with a real conservative.

RobCon on March 31, 2010 at 5:49 PM

DeVore is the only one who is truly conservative. He debated Tom Campbell yesterday, too and, of course, Campbell thinks Israeli “settlements” are a road block to peace whereas Chuck DeVore does not. Looking into Campbell’s penchant for the religion of peace (see links above, look into his staffers) it makes sense he’s less than friendly toward Israel, not that it has anything to do with California politics…
DeVore was against tax increases that Campbell supported, and Fiorina has only just started voting so who really knows where she stands? DeVore was either the youngest or one of the youngest Reagan appointees to the Pentagon, too. And he’s got a sense of humor. I like DeVore.

NTWR on March 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Barbara Boxer is very vulnerable in 2010. The videos of her on YouTube have been completely embarrassing!

After watching Chuck Devore since I saw him speak at the California Republican Convention a few years ago, I am very excited to be able to vote for him im the June 8 California Republican Primary! Chuck DeVore is an honorable candidate and a true conservative. We need more candidates like him! It is good to have a candidate that I will be very proud to vote for!

But just for fun keep an eye on the Democrat Primary too! Mickey Kaus had filed to run against Barbara Boxer in the Democrat Primary. Dare we hope that Mickey could defeat Barbara Boxer in the Primary?

Looks like Mickey is still working on his web site but here is a link you can follow for updates on his campaign:

wren on March 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Go Carly

Falz on March 31, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Tom Campbell couldn’t get a substitute for the one day that Sean Hannity hosted a live show at the Reagan Library for his book launch?…makes no sense considering the capital catastrophe California is in…what’s he hiding?

ocbrat on March 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I like Chuck and have been sending him money. I’m glad he did go after Carly, because I didn’t know those things he brought up about her.

Mirimichi on March 31, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Of the three people running for the California Senate seat I am opposed to Campbell because he is almost a Democrat. Having him would be like having another Arlen Specter. You cannot even put Tom Campbell and conservative in the same sentence without having a negative between the two words, or making a joke.

I dislike Fiorina because he off-shored thousands of well-paying American jobs from HP when she was CEO, then insulted the people of America when asked about it. She was one of the greedy CEOs that helped drive our country into the financial trouble that we have now. She is a RINO as well and showed it when McCain was running for President. Also note that she was McCains economic adviser and failed to give him answers when he was pressed on economics during the campaign.

DeVore is the only genuine conservative of the group. But out of the three candidates he also polls the poorest. But if he can pull off a win, he is by far the best choice of the three.

The bottom line here though, is defeating Boxer. I don’t care which one of the three are elected if they beat Boxer. I pray for DeVore, but I will take Campbell if that is who wins the Republican primary.

Hawthorne on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM

I have to disagree with most of the posters above. I spent some time on Tom Campbell’s website the other night. He’s not that bad. My position on the issues is best represented by DeVore, but I have not been impressed by him or the way he’s running his campaign. Fiorina has been likeable in interviews, smart on paper but incompetent in practice. Both Fiorina and DeVore have shown poor judgment in some of their campaign choices. I look to the way a candidate runs his campaign as a preview of things to come.

Campbell has a PhD in economics, has taught at Stanford and Berkeley, served under Reagan and has a record of good finance as well as ethics. Ethics are extremely important to me as a female voter (I know, I know, screenname aside, it’s a JOKE). Bill Simon is supporting Campbell as is Ward Connerly. I am moving towards that column as well. Like Bill Simon said, I don’t agree with Campbell on some issues, but you elect the candidate who is best for times. These are economic times and we need those kinds of candidates.

I am going for Whitman and Campbell.

Poizner is to the left of Whitman. Don’t pretend otherwise. His current faux tea party persona is an insulting, pandering reinvention. Both he and DeVore employed the bondage club donor Erik Brown (aka Mr. married Sunday school teacher). Like I said, it speaks to judgment. I’d rather have an honest moderate than a phony conservative.

mistythestripper on March 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Fiorina was a former McCaine advisor. Well with one of the lamest campaignes ever run I think that says volumes as to what kind of campaigne she will run and even what kind of senator she would be. I’m pulling for Devore!

gboy63 on April 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM