RNC: The DNC’s blowing millions on hotels and limos too, you know

posted at 4:55 pm on March 31, 2010 by Allahpundit

Politico has the full list of DNC expenses, including more than $2 million for hotels and caterers, but I’ll excerpt a bit here to give you a taste.

The DNC Spent At Least $262,000 For Other Events, Including:

The DNC Spent Over $24,000 For Event(s) At The Kennedy Center. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

The DNC Spent Over $26,000 For Tickets And Catering At Fenway Park. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

The DNC Spent Over $16,000 At DC Nightclub Josephine. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In October, The DNC Spent At Least $63,953.00 At The Standard Club. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In January 2009, The DNC Spent At Least $12,293 At Boss Bar In Chicago. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

The DNC Has Spent At Least $39,802 On Gifts And Trinkets. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In December, The DNC Paid The Dallas Cowboys Organization $17,125. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In December, The DNC Spent At Least $31,036 At The Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In January 2009, The DNC Spent At Least Spent $13,316 At Lucky Strike In Washington, DC. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In April, The DNC Spent At Least $11,476 At The St. Louis Club. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In August, The DNC Spent At Least $4,557 At The Triple Door Concert Venue In Seattle. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In August, The DNC Paid At Least $1,500 At To The Washington Nationals. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In December, The DNC Spent At Least At $6,110 The Metropolitan Club In Washington, DC. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In January 2010, The DNC Spent At Least Spent $2,782 At Petterino’s In Chicago. (Federal Elections Commission, www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

Duly noted, but the charm of hearing that “the Democrats spend just as irresponsibly as we do!” has worn awfully thin for conservatives. Besides, it’d be one thing if the GOP was rolling in dough vis-a-vis the opposition. As it is, behold:

nm

Subtract debts from cash on hand and you’ll see that the RNC’s doing better than the DNC is. But note: The DNC’s almost $5 million in the black over the past year while the RNC’s more than $5 million in the red. When Steele took over as chairman, they had $22 million in cash on hand compared to $9.5 million now; that $13 million difference is almost precisely equal to the combined advantage currently enjoyed by the three Democratic fundraising committees over their Republican counterparts. What’s that the fiscal conservatives are always telling me — when times are tough, you tighten your belt? Well, where’s the belt-tightening? In fact, according to the Daily Caller, the now infamous “Voyeur” reimbursement had to be approved by both the RNC’s finance director and its chief administrative officer. Quote:

“There’s no adult supervision,” said the Republican very familiar with the RNC financial process, when questioned on the current financial structure. Asked about prior RNC administrations, the Republican said, “everything was scrutinized.”

If Democrats are happy with the DNC crapping away their donations on luxury hotels, good for them, but the tu quoque is underwhelming given our financial position. And another thing that’s underwhelming: The criticism of the Daily Caller for breaking this story. I understand it insofar that the DC is self-styled as a right-wing answer to the Huffington Post and yet this right-wing scandal is the biggest story they’ve broken so far, but would you rather not know that the RNC has a spending problem? The more heat they get from grassroots conservatives now, the tighter they’ll have to run the ship leading up to the midterms, and the more money there’ll be available at crunch time for GOP candidates who need it. Or so the theory goes. Who knows anymore if they’re capable of self-correction.

Comments

you do realize as the overwhelming incumbent party can raise money easier, these numbers are not half bad for the GOP.

rob verdi on March 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM

AP, you also criticized the Daily Caller in how they broke the story…

ninjapirate on March 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I note a lot of 6′s in the DCCC’s debt column.

lorien1973 on March 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

The problem is we conservatives want the RNC and the GOP as a whole to lead by example. We know the Dems spend money like drunken sailors. But the reason the GOP is currently in the minority is because they acted just like Dems when they were in power. How can we have confidence that they’ve truly seen the error of their ways when we read stories like this?

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

The old “they did it too!” defense. That shows great maturity that I know my money would be well used for.
SHEESH

thomasaur on March 31, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I’ll repeat what I said in the headlines:

This story is fascinating to me.

On one hand we have the rise of tea parties focused on fiscal conservativism and the purging of poor spending habits of Republicans – and it’s applauded.

On the other hand we have a news site who publishes a story centered on a lack of appropriate use of finances and the poor spending habits of Republicans – and it’s derired, along with Tucker – who would publish this story just as quickly if it were the DNC.

The site shoots straights according to the facts, and in zeitgeist of the public sentiment and it’s all ‘ignore the site’ ‘Tucker is dumb’ whatever.

He didn’t set out to make a site espousing politics – it’s about news. Don’t want to know what is going on? Join the MSNBC crowd.

Spirit of 1776 on March 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM

You were critical on this story also, AP. Though full credit, you objected to the language, not the story.

Spirit of 1776 on March 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Well, there were probably voters at the club… We will never know.

Was it not the DNC that spent money on a video to name a billboard after Rush Limbaugh? I am just sayin.

shar61 on March 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Yes but they are gutter people. we are not.

jawkneemusic on March 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

We want the party that preaches fiscal discipline to PRACTICE it.

Byzantine on March 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

No lesbian strip clubs? DNC are homophobes.

the_nile on March 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I think it is terrific that the Daily Caller broke the story. Perhaps the media will learn to follow a lead, wherever the story takes you. That is one non biased news outlet.

shar61 on March 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Yes, I objected to their suggestion that it was Steele who personally incurred the Voyeur expense. But actually reporting the expense itself and the RNC’s spending problem is all fair game.

Allahpundit on March 31, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I think it is terrific that the Daily Caller broke the story.

shar61 on March 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Yep. If this had been written before I gave some money to their “Fire Pelosi” fundraiser I would have passed and found a deserving House candidate to give to instead.

Mark1971 on March 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Sadly, I have no confidence as long as Michael Steele is the chairman of the RNC.

fourdeucer on March 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Donate directly to candidates yadda yadda yadda…

WashJeff on March 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM

The old, he hit me first defense…

phreshone on March 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I would rather know, and I give the DC folks kudos for bringing it up. Even though the $$ was $2,000ish and far less that Spitzer doled out to his hooker, it’s the principle, it’s the economy, and it’s the trust.

ted c on March 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM

AP or Ed, check out this guys twitter feed… some reporter tried to talk to Obama’s workplace flexibility audience and got smacked down by the press handlers…

ninjapirate on March 31, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Tu quoque, bitches!

- The RNC

Cicero43 on March 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

My counter statement, and like I said full credit, you were entitled to that opinion and it’s consistent with your attempt to be fair, is that they were getting no response from the RNC despite 4 (at least) requests to speak to Steele about the story. So they were stonewalled, and the precision of Steele’s involvement really didn’t come out until the RNC was forced to respond – by the publishing of the story.

Spirit of 1776 on March 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Palin, Paul and Political Party Perverts the trifecta baby!

thomasaur on March 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

When Pookie gets off the couch, he spends a lot of time with his friend clubbin’ with the DNC.

My money now goes directly to the candidates that I want to see in office. The RNC can produce the expensive ads and billboards, but until they get behind conservative candidates and stop wasting money, my wallet is closed.

onlineanalyst on March 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Not to mention the whole freakin’ group of Lefties to the Climate Gig, Pelosi’s use of the biggest military aircraft for personal trips with her family in tow, the use of Frank’s Brothel….

We want the party that preaches fiscal discipline to PRACTICE it.

Byzantine on March 31, 2010 at 5:03 PM

+1000

CynicalOptimist on March 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I live a short walk away from this Voyeur Club here in West Hollywood…I gotta check it out for myself! I’ll update all you loyal Hot Air readers soon!

WeHoCon on March 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Ah, yes. Tu quoque all around, please!

nukemhill on March 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I wonder where our next HRC meeting will be.

Guess I’d better stock up on dollar bills just in case.

The Ugly American on March 31, 2010 at 5:17 PM

The DNC Spent Over $26,000 For Tickets And Catering At Fenway Park. (Federal Elections Commission, http://www.fec.gov, Accessed: 3/31/10)

In their defense, they were really excited about the possibility of seeing Yankees fans like Curt Schilling there.

malclave on March 31, 2010 at 5:17 PM

onlineanalyst on March 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I feel this way, too.
I will not give to the RNC as long as the majority of them are no better than the Dems.
I go for the individual, hoping to turn this thing around little bit by little bit.
It’s all I know how to do at this point.

Badger40 on March 31, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Being as bad as the Democrats is not supposed to be our goal.

MadisonConservative on March 31, 2010 at 5:18 PM

WeHoCon on March 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Ugh…how can you stand it?

I got out of there a few years ago (lived on Palm off Santa Monica) and moved to the valley.

P.S. Watch out for the dogsh*t.

The Ugly American on March 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM

“Well, every president does it!”
B. Clinton and Party

Given the light in which the RNC and the Party membership is cast, they should be doing things smarter and better than the other guys.

The ‘they do it, too’ defense is as lame as a liberal bringing up Nixon to defend a modern Dem politician’s wrongdoing.

Liam on March 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM

UGH

Romney defends Mass. health care law

“Overall, ours is a model that works,’’ Romney said in response to a question after a speech at Iowa State University. “We solved our problem at the state level. Like it or not, it was a state solution. Why is it that President Obama is stepping in and saying ‘one size fits all’ ’’?

William Amos on March 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM

drunk sailor meet stoned hippie.

DrW on March 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I’ve reached the point where I don’t care how much either of them spends. They (RNC) aren’t spending my money because I no longer contribute to RINOs and Dem Lites via the RNC. Any contribution I make now goes directly to the candidates.

GoldenEagle4444 on March 31, 2010 at 5:25 PM

“And another thing that’s underwhelming: The criticism of the Daily Caller for breaking this story.”

Exactly! Conservatives CAN take the truth.

Ira on March 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM

The Daily Caller was very sloppy in reporting this. Sorry. I am not impressed. Wish the best for Treacher, but this is a big misstep. Check before you dis your sister.

chaswv on March 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM

WTF!?!?!!?

These clowns simply have not heard the TEA Party message. Not a dime for the RNC. I’m donating directly to candidates.

Fcuk them.

mr.blacksheep on March 31, 2010 at 5:28 PM

WeHoCon on March 31, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I soooooo appreciate your HUGE sacrifice for the greater good! *snort*

speed911 on March 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I’m sure that the DNC is wasting money, too. But that’s not the reason that I don’t contribute to them, either.

obladioblada on March 31, 2010 at 5:40 PM

It’s a fiasco for the RNC and indicates serious priority and management issues. The failure to properly prioritize the RNC budget is Steele’s fault. Saying “hey, look over there, the DNC does it too” isn’t going to fix the problem. It’s just distracting from the fact that the RNC is a mess.

AUINSC on March 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Let’s see some real fiscal conservatism from the RNC. Bring on the hot dogs, chips and sodas, how bout some grocery store donuts, or can we get some volunteers to bake cookies…. Motel 6 and La Quinta for lodging. Not sending a dime to the RNC… Will donate to the candidates directly.

kringeesmom on March 31, 2010 at 5:58 PM

The RNC still hasn’t gotten the spending message. The fact that they had the meeting in Hawaii instead of a less costly venue was worse, in my book,and Steele sure can’t plead ignorance there.

sandspur on March 31, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I love the smell of desperation in the morning. Hell, when it’s the demecraps, anytime will do. Grasping at straws. Hoping we forget and forgive by november. HAW HAW HAW!! Keep dreaming chumps and take another hit off the bong.

nukeemnow on March 31, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Kudos to Tucker and Co. for highlighting this mess.

Shame on the RNC for even tryng the “well Timmy does it too!” defense.

At this point, Steinbrenner would have sent the manager packing.

Better have this out now than in mid to late October.

Wind Rider on March 31, 2010 at 6:10 PM

If the DNC jumped off a cliff, would the RNC do it, too ;)

I give kudos to the Daily Caller for breaking this. And as much as others are saying this Voyeuer thing is unimportant, I think it’s a “bfd”. RNC should be ashamed of themselves.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 31, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I’m much more disgusted that they chose Schozifovapalooza in the special election than they spent money at a nudie bar. Wasting money is just one more bad decision they’re making and is costing them loyal support (financial and otherwise) in the short and long term.

It would have been better to STHU than offer this as an excuse for your own stupidity.

DrAllecon on March 31, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Who knows anymore if they’re capable of self-correction.

The self-correction will only last as long as they are being intensely watched.

MB4 on March 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I saw a tweet from Steele the other day saying he was leaving a fancy restaurant at the Biltmore and it really left a sour taste in my mouth since it was extemporaneous to the Voyeur Club expense. NO money from me for such expenses.

Blackwell would have been better.

Buckeye Babe on March 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM

as the title of the books says, dime’s worth of difference.

molonlabe28 on March 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I don’t care what the DNC does with their money. They can blow it all on hookers and cocaine, and that’s perfectly OK with me.

The RNC on the other hand….

Hog Wild on March 31, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Steele is having a ball.
I cut them some slack because some of these expenses were to set up fundraisers.
Gotta pay to play.

FireBlogger on March 31, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I’d like to see all Republicans, state, local and federal, publicly strip the fat from their operating expenses/budgets. NO CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION. Brag about it. You don’t have to look like homeless people, but shame the Democrats.

Anyone who doesn’t like it can go something himself.

disa on March 31, 2010 at 8:54 PM

All this proves is that the political parties spend money just as freely as politicians.
The real story is that, once again: Republicans do it, it’s bad; common dems do it, it’s OK.

n0doz on April 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Memo to Michael Steele & the RNC:

The Democrats do not a model make. Certainly not for their spending practices. The Party needs to remember where the money came from — pst, CONTRIBUTORS – and spend it the way contributors want it spent.

Conservatives want smaller government. Conservatives can have no confidence in party leadership if they spend funds frivolously.

EconomicNeocon on April 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Who at the RNC decided giving the Media an excuse to run the lesbian bondage story another day was a good idea?

In case no one noticed, the joke is “stuffy democrats, no lesbian bondage play!”

stupid…stupid…stupid..

NextGen on April 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Politics of Failure, RNC chooses ‘DNC does it too!’ as their response. Absolutely pathetic. Campaign style counter-punching. Idiotically expanding and continuing the fray, instead of acnowledging, firing, promising corrections and SHUTTING THE HELL UP.

FIRE STEELE.

rayra on April 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

same old story for the republicans.vote for us we’re not as bad as democrats

badpenny on April 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM