Hutchison to stay in Senate

posted at 9:30 am on March 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

After Kay Bailey Hutchison announced that she would run for the Republican nomination for governor in Texas, she also promised that she would resign from the Senate after the primaries.  Having lost that primary rather badly to popular incumbent Rick Perry — and after taking quite a beating in the race — some wondered whether Hutchison would leave public life altogether.  According to National Journal, Hutchison will finish her current term in the Senate:

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) will announce today she has decided to serve out the remainder of her term, according to a source familiar with Hutchison’s plans.

The move is a reversal of a pledge Hutchison made to step down as she challenged Gov. Rick Perry (R) earlier this year. Hutchison lost an early March primary against Perry by a surprisingly wide margin.

Hutchison originally said she would step down sometime last fall, before putting off her resignation thanks to the health care debate. Now that the health care debate is over, House GOPers in TX have urged Hutchison to reconsider in a letter sent to the incumbent last week.

The move cancels what would have been a rather perilous special election this November.  Republicans had a half-dozen serious candidates already campaigning for the spot, while Democrats had the former mayor of Houston, Bill White, who may have been able to win in a crowded field.  The special election looked like it might alleviate the Democrats’ expected midterm losses on the national level, and winning a Texas Senate seat would have been quite a bragging coup for the DSCC.  With Hutchison’s decision to stay, the GOP has one less worry in November, which allows them to focus on winning seats held by Democrats rather than playing defense.

It’s good for the Senate GOP caucus as well.  While Hutchison’s move to the center got plenty of focus during the gubernatorial campaign, she has been firm on conservative positions in the 111th Congress.  Hutchison never gave any indication that she would give an inch towards the kind of health-care industry takeover we saw in ObamaCare.  Hutchison has fought against the cap-and-trade bill that will likely get some attention in the waning days of this session.  She’s also been pretty good on immigration reform.  Hutchison is far more useful in office for the next two years than out, especially if the alternative is White.

Update: White dropped out of this race to run against Perry, but I think the point still stands — the Democrats could have coalesced around one candidate while Republicans split the vote on the Right.  Now they don’t have to worry about it and can go through a normal primary process in 2012.  Thanks to R.J. for the reminder.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good enough for me.

Hey, Texas. Start looking for a worthy replacement.

Here, in Ohio, we’re working to get Rob Portman to replace that Cleveland weenie George Voinovich in November.

BuckeyeSam on March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

good, one less seat to defend.

rob verdi on March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

It’s good for the Senate GOP caucus as well. While Hutchison’s move to the center got plenty of focus during the gubernatorial campaign, she has been firm on conservative positions in the 111th Congress. Hutchison never gave any indication that she would give an inch towards the kind of health-care industry takeover we saw in ObamaCare. Hutchison has fought against the cap-and-trade bill that will likely get some attention in the waning days of this session. She’s also been pretty good on immigration reform. Hutchison is far more useful in office for the next two years than out, especially if the alternative is White.

Yeah, but it also makes her a liar. I hope she does retire in 2012.

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Great. She needlessly damaged Perry with endless attacks, and drained his reelection cash against a well-funded Dim, and now she’s staying.

TexasJew on March 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM

What the he1l is wrong with Texas, full of fools and dumb voters. Sell the place to Guatemala and be done with it.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Racist /s

Joe Caps on March 31, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Fortunately, Rick Perry was gracious/pragmatic enough to ‘request’, for the sake of the state, to serve out her full term, giving her a way to honorably finish her term.

phreshone on March 31, 2010 at 9:37 AM

BuckeyeSam on March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Sherrod Brown needed to be shown the door yesterday. I can’t stand being represented by a douche that proudly appears on MSNBC’s most notoreous shows.

gsherin on March 31, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I’d like to know where you got this?

White is the only serious contender the dems have who can run statewide. Whether he knew KBH wouldn’t resign, or he knew his odds were better against a long time incumbent in a state that doesn’t like their governors to wear out their welcomes is speculation.

A senator appointed now would have more seniority than those elected this November and a lot more than 2012 freshmen.

This only helps KBH and relieves Perry from having to decide on her successor. Something that also grated on KBH.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I hope some conservative Texans take the next two years to figure out that their country needs them in the Senate. So she’s a placeholder for the next two years, I can live with that.

BetseyRoss on March 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

In what way could a special election for Senate in Texas, given the current political environment, be considered “rather perilous”?

applebutter on March 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

If she’s not running for reelection, this frees her up to be what she truly is and vote for what she truly believes. What the hell is that, I wonder.

SKYFOX on March 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Hey, Texas. Start looking for a worthy replacement.

BuckeyeSam on March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Ask and ye shall receive.

Kafir on March 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM

In other words, she moved to the LEFT – and lost. Knock me over with a feather.

logis on March 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM

How ’bout you come down here and personally transfer my papers to Guatemala?

As wishy-washy as KBH is, how does she compare to your elected representatives?

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

The move cancels what would have been a rather perilous special election this November. Republicans had a half-dozen serious candidates already campaigning for the spot, while Democrats had the former mayor of Houston, Bill White, who may have been able to win in a crowded field

Unless I have a reading comprehension problem or something has changed, Bill White is the democrat candidate for governor.

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

? White’s running for governor, not senator?

Eren on March 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I don’t see how Texas would possibly elect a Democrat.

Bill White is not a terrible candidate, for a worthless scum Democrat, he’s above average and with the media’s usual boost, he might get within 10 points of Perry.

Any claim White has to populism just went up in smoke when it was revealed he has made millions in sham jobs on corporate boards.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Excellent, my first catch of the day.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Ask and ye shall receive.

Kafir on March 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM

In a field of well qualified GOP candidates who were lining up for the race, he is my choice (in the early running) as well.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

You realize this man was planning to run against her.

What a shame.

commodore on March 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Kafir on March 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Totally!

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Mrsmwp, he is running for Governor, but there is a lot of speculation that he would run for the open Senate seat if given the chance.

Overall though, it is absurd to even pretend that he would have a chance to win it. She should have kept her word. No Dem will win any statewide election in ’10.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 9:46 AM

commodore on March 31, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I’d have loved to see him in that spot too. There’s always 2012 though.

Eren on March 31, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Why would someone who has secured the democrat nomination for governor go and run for the Senate? I’m confused.

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:48 AM

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM

He was going to run for the senate, and switched. Ultimately, this may help ensure that the GOP holds both seats.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

What am I missing here? Bill White is the democratic nominee for governor of Texas. Was he also running for the senate seat in the special election?

Sue on March 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

This is horrible news. I really wanted to see Michael Williams in the US Senate.

He is probably the first individual that lined up with me thinking on so many issues.

I hope that he will run in the future.

tetriskid on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

The economy in Texas is succeeding despite the anchor Obama and Washington has put on us all. Why change horses now and especially in favor of a worthless scum Democrat?NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I’m convinced one issue will destroy White… Houston being a sanctuary city.

With Jaurez tipping toward insanity and murders along the border, only liberal nutcase Dems will vote for him. Those of us in the sanity regions of the state will HEAVILY favor Perry (as if that wasn’t already apparent with KBH). Oh, and Perry would surely have appointed Williams. Not sure about the whole “special election” thing. You may be right, but this is the first I’ve heard of that possibility and I track these things pretty closely.

UnderstandingisPower on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

We don’t want KBH to go anywhere! In fact, how about an all female ticket in 2012?

Hutchinson/Snowe, 2012!!

Has a nice ring to it.

Dan Pet on March 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM

KBH is a maroon. I wrote her and said she needed to FIGHT the health care crap and she responded saying she is fighting by working WITH the dems. Right.

She said she was going to resign, and she should have. Actually, I think anyone that is in office and decides to run for another office should step down. You can’t do 2 jobs at once- you have to focus on one or the other.

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

White was contemplating a run KBH’s seat. He chose the race that he has more of a chance (very small) of winning.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I’m okay with this, from a strategic point-of-view I’d rather she server her term and step aside for someone like my Congressman Joe Barton.

smfoushee on March 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I hope that he will run in the future.

tetriskid on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I wanted to see that too, but he’ll still be around in 2 years. Maybe the GOP can let him speak at the convention in 2012 to give him a nice boost of national exposure(it worked for Barry in ’04).

What I love about Williams aside from his conservative principles is that he’s so upbeat everytime you listen to him speak. He’s like the male version of Palin. We desperately need that in our elected representatives.

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Racist.

LibTired on March 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM

He said no, but it was one of those “let’s see what happens” deals up until the primaries. Since he’s now pretty securely in the race, it was much more likely that John Sharp, a former comptroller, would have run for the Dems.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM

UnderstandingisPower on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Living here just on the outskirts of El Paso, I’ll tell you there are a whole lot of liberal nutcase dems right here that will pull the lever for White.

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I don’t think you can be “pretty conservative” if you support abortion. Just saying.

I agree with other sentiments-she wasted everyone’s time in the gubernatorial race, Perry was always going to win, and she had to be dumber than a stump to think that in this climate a Washington politician would win against a popular state incumbent.

Perry might be squishy on a lot of things, but KBH is a joke.

John_Locke on March 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

UnderstandingisPower on March 31, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Me too. I thought Perry appointed someone and then they would run in 2012. This article is very confusing to me. But, then again, I had no idea that White was going to run for Senate. The first I heard of him here in Dallas was when he was campaigning for Governor.

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

cibola, tell that to Hillary and Obama. They both ran for President while being in the Senate.

sandee on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Very smart move, Republicans!

WyoMike on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

One broken promise vs. how many for Dear Liar? I don’t have Jim Garentry’s (SP?) column handy.

rbj on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

We could do better, but if she left now, we could definitely do worse. I simply wish she hadn’t picked this year to try and take down a fellow Republican. Now I think the only things that could save Perry are 1) Perry’s working, why change that? and 2) Texans will certainly be in an anti-Democrat mood when hitting the polls this fall.

Sekhmet on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Ok, so I was planning on moving to Texas in a few years, but now I’m not so sure. Is Texas going soft, because I don’t want to trade Franken’s Minnesota for some hot squish-state.

Not to mention that the drug-gang killings down there are almost as common as being dragged away by the spiders. I could use some feedback.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Sekhmet on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Perry beats White by > 6 points. Bank on it.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Now I think the only things that could save Perry are

I don’t think Perry needs “saving” I think he’ll win without any problem. The only reason he picked up only 35% or whatever of the vote last election was because CKS split the Republican ticket a bit. As long as the primary losers stay out of the election all together, there shouldn’t be a problem. The only thing someone can say against Perry is that he’s taking our state in the wrong direction. The “problem” for those folks is that Texas is ranked again and again as an economy not hurt as much by the recession and quickest to recover. Sure the state has problems, but I think voters will focus on those issues, and rightly or wrongly, conclude that Perry had something to do with it.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM

sandee on March 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I know. I’m saying that I don’t think they should be able to do it.

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Why would this be good news? Just another old RINO you’ll have to drag out kicking and screaming in 2012.

james23 on March 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I could use some feedback.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Texas is in the best shape of any state right now. Something like 3/4 of all jobs created (real jobs, not fake stimulus jobs) were in Texas last year.

Hutchison, living in DC, bought into the hype that the nation was moving to the left, and paid the price, not even making a runoff after being senator for three terms.

The drug violence is pretty much all on the other side of the border; it never affects anyone outside of the border towns.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:03 AM

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Well, there’s your problem. Us folks in the metroplex tend to ignore our southern brothers…

White was hinting at senate before he switched to the governors race.

We were more interested in Granger, Shapiro and Leppert (and possibly the mayor of Irving or Arlington, I don’t remember) hinting at running.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Texas definitely ain’t going soft. It has a diverse population, so of course you’ll encounter your fair share of libs. But overall this is a very conservative state.

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Perry beats White by > 6 points. Bank on it.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

At minimum … I look for it to be higher than that.

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 9:48 AM

The position of Texas governor is potentially quite a politically weak one compared to other states. Lt. Gov. has more control of the legislative agenda and bills that get passed, Senators have more sway with spending federal dollars, etc. etc. Governor of Texas is a position that many people take to help position themselves for greener pastures or to crown their career and feather their nest before retirement. (No comment on which one KBH was likely to be.)

If Bill White wants higher offices or more practical authority it wouldn’t be a bad idea to run for a Senate special election that his more likely to win …

dieudonne on March 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

You know, the Texans on here always talk up Texas (duh!) but I have to tell you something very important. If you come here STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM DALLAS OR AUSTIN OR HOUSTON or pretty much any big city. They are full of socialist illegals and liberal elite morons. I think you would like Rockwall. It is close to Dallas but you could have some land. That is where I hope to move to. Or of course, go to any small, rural area that isn’t near the border. They are still conservative.

Not sure if you were serious, but hope this helps.

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Excellent, my first catch of the day.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I fell for it too. You haven’t pulled that stunt for a while and caught me napping.

jwolf on March 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

OT here .. but my family is about to go to El Paso for my daughters volleyball club. How is the violence right now? I’ve been a little leery of the trip. I will admit I’ve never been to El Paso and now it has me a little concerned. Apparently, the hotel they have scheduled up is near the airport. And I’ve heard that’s not the best area. Can you shed any light on that for me? Thanks!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

You are right, of course. The Texas economy is really lousy and the crime is intolerable. Our politicians are much more liberal than your hard working representatives, and your electorate is much more intelligent than us dumb Texans. You are much better off staying in the land of 10,000 lakes…and your great representation

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

dieudonne on March 31, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Ultimately, he made a strategic mistake by switching. He could have eked out a win for a senate seat – he doesn’t stand a chance in the governor’s race.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Always the spiders.

I grew up in Pennsylvania and I saw bigger spiders up there than I have seen here in San Antonio. Although I moved here during the drought, so now that it’s over, we’ll see.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

href=”http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aSfp5pL7BSTM&pos=2″>OT: Totally unexpected!

ConservativePartyNow on March 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I can’t quite understand why Kaye just didn’t say, If I win the primary, I’ll resign, rather than announce that she was resigning.

Maybe it was misunderstood?

To put the state through the cost of a special election in this economy would not be good for Texas. I applaud her decision.

More important, I’m a bit weary of the “perfectionism” strain I hear all the time. I just don’t think I demand that type of standard. Try doing what you say you’ll do, which is vote a certain way on some issues. That’s plenty for me as a voter.

Miracles aren’t required.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Good for her and she should run for reelection too.

The secessionist Governor also broke his promise of not run for a third term.

Falz on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

We are overwhelmingly conservative out here in West Texas. In the heart of cotton country where you can see for miles!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Good enough for me.

Hey, Texas. Start looking for a worthy replacement.

BuckeyeSam on March 31, 2010 at 9:34 AM

That is what we are doing. Texas is extremely conservative so we should have a lot of great candidates. The tricky part is for the majority to recognize the rich rinos and the not as rich conservatives.

jeffn21 on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The spiders are fine. I rarely need to ram them more than once to kill them even though I drive a very small Honda. Drug-gang killings can be a bother but I restrict my visits to the taco hut to daylight hours and that works fine so far.

Changing demographics are some cause for concern. Texas, like much of the United States, is becoming a majority urban population and that tends to mean democratic leanings. Harris county is a massive democratic political machine waiting to happen in the event that they ever manage to contain and care for their urban sprawl. So far they continue to sprawl further out without actually consolidating political power. Eventually they will get their act together or collapse like a flan in a cupboard.

dieudonne on March 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I’ve decided that Bastrop, Texas is just about perfect. We live in Austin right now, but I’m actively trying to convince my husband that we should move out that way. If I were telling anyone to move anywhere in Texas, that would be my advice.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

His own internal polling told him he had a better chance at Governor.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Where? I just moved here, and we don’t even lock the house up, really.

Crime is definitely not an issue.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Miracles aren’t required.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

That has always been her problem – she changes position on issues depending upon whom she is talking to. We never are quite sure how she will vote, and that is why we want to replace her. Texans understand that a senator is an employee of the people, and we want employees who do what they are told.

Vashta.Nerada on March 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Oops. OT: Totally unexpected!

ConservativePartyNow on March 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I don’t know anything about Texas, but we would be moving for my wife’s job which means it would have to be Dallas or its environs (which is where her company’s regional headquarters is located).

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Cotton? I drove through there and saw nothing, not even telephone wires. LOL*

I doubt I’ve ever been in a more desolate space in life. Amazing.

There were zero cowboys, either. Blew my entire image!

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Changing demographics are some cause for concern

If it makes you feel any better, my district (51) is 60+% Hispanic, 15% AA, and we voted for Republicans in every office except state and national Rep. A Republican didn’t even run against our state Rep, but the Libertarian candidate got 10% of the vote.

I have a lot of hope that those “changing demographics” might not help Dems as much as they think.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I don’t think you should count out Bill White yet. He comes across as very ‘bluedog” democrat, almost a liberal Republican, as it were. He will make himself out to be more moderate than Perry and there are a lot of Texans who just want to be left alone, and so will vote for that type of politician.

Perry’s folks need to start getting out all of his sneaky business dealings in the open. The Houston Chronicle actually did some of the work on this already.

Bishop, Texas is not going to go soft, but you do have to pick your areas. I would not recommend Dallas anymore (am a native Dallisite). They has a massive influx of Yankees back in the early nineties and have become very liberal. Austin, with its liberal college UT is also a bastion of granola eating libtards. Don’t know about Houston personally but I have several die hard conservative friends from that area. San Antonio is a mix, but that is due to the Hispanic voters always voting Democrat.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Lock up the credit cards. *hehe Dallas is really rich in Malls, etc. Man, the stores are HUGE! It’s retail heaven.

Seriously, Dallas reminds me alot of how LA was when I first moved there. Very easy freeway system, spread out, pretty, well-kempt areas.

Lovely. I understand the weather can be fickle, and my friend who just moved there says they are about to head into a water problem.

Boy, that sounded familiar.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Cotton? I drove through there and saw nothing, not even telephone wires. LOL*

I doubt I’ve ever been in a more desolate space in life. Amazing.

There were zero cowboys, either. Blew my entire image!

lol .. wow.. really. guess you haven’t been in the Lubbock area! On more than one occasion I have watched ‘em ride their horse down the middle of the interstate! :)

But yeah there are miles and miles of nothing between towns!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:16 AM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Not just the spiders, also the snakes and scorpions. While I don’t mind the snakes, the other critters give me the creeps.

I saw a special on PBS about people in Texas being dragged away in the middle of the night, screaming and crying, by spiders. It was awful and apparently the result of Texans being too conservative or something.

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Think about Fort Worth or Richardson

batterup on March 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Bishop, there are tons of good suburbs around Dallas. There are good neighborhoods within Dallas, but for the most part they’re very expensive(though if you’re coming from a state with high housing costs, that might not be a problem.) I personally like Rockwall.

Vera on March 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Apparently, she’s smarter than Charlie Crist.

orlandocajun on March 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM

The best neighborhood to live in Dallas is Fort Worth. No pesky libs.

Marcus on March 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

But yeah there are miles and miles of nothing between towns!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I was laughing at the question about the border situation. Dummie me drove THROUGH El Paso, where I should have stopped.

The town I stopped at?

Omigosh. It scared me silly. Apparently, my hotel room, which even bugged my canine buddy, was smack dab on the Rio Grande. LOL*

When I told my movers where I stayed, my mover guy said, “I KNEW I should have told you where you needed to stop on the trip. I got a sense that you were clueless.” *haha

However, I’m happy to report, nobody kidnapped me or did much beyond serving me the worst food I’ve ever had to eat while travelling. :)

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I’d be more worried about being carried off by the pterodactyl sized buzzards here, they may decide that fresh meat beats dead meat and it will make “The Birds” look like a day at the beach.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Money is not a problem but I have no interest in living in a Los Angeles type of city, if Dallas is that then I’m not doing it.

Do you ride motorcycles down there or just horses and burros?

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

At last!!! Another San Antonioian!!! Hi!!! Come over for BBQ and beer!

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Anyway, Bishop. I give Texas a big thumbs up so far. I love the people I’ve met. And it’s diverse, interesting. I’m close enough to Houston to take advantage of “big city” offerings, but where I live, the dogs (literally) run free.

It’s ideal, I’d say.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:24 AM

If I may comment on Texas. I think you will see Texas go squishy because of all of the maroons leaving California after $crewing up that state so bad, that even they have to leave and go someplace. See AZ, NV, UT, and other western states.

Mirimichi on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Then definitely check out Heath or Rockwall. You can live right on a huge lake, Lake Ray Hubbard, or you can go for acreage. Also, they have all the shopping you need. Home Depot, Costco, etc. And only a 20-30 minute ride to downtown Dallas.

mrsmwp on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I moved here last year and love it. Never want to leave Texas, my second child will be born here.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Bishop -

Dallas is VERY materialistic. Take it from me a native who grew up there and then got the hell out of dodge, as it were.

No we do not ride burros, though my congressman is Ciero Rodriguez and he is a jackass…..

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Yes, I saw the story about Sun City, in Georgetown. Apparently, the Vultures like that retirement community, too!

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Mirimichi on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I don’t know about that, I moved here from a liberal area (Arlington, Virginia) to get the hell away from high taxes, high real estate, traffic and liberals.

So I think people like me are going to offset the libs moving in and us + the natives will still have the numbers.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Don’t worry about the retirees moving to Texas and their “voting.”

Remember, you’re getting all of us at a much more conservative time in life. *haha

Nevada, OR, WA, AZ, UT, and AZ have benefitted from the great “escape” from CA going on.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Do you ride motorcycles down there or just horses and burros?

Bishop on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Yes lots of bikes, and great scenic roads to ride on.

batterup on March 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I was born and raised in Texas and would NEVER go anywhere else. I did a short stint in Tennessee but came back home within a year. I lived in the panhandle by Amarillo, started college in San Angelo, and have been in the Lubbock area for the last 15 years. I love it! The only large city I would consider moving close to would be San Antonio….that part of the state is beyond gorgeous!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Thankfully, Hutchison has finally gotten a little common sense back into her head. At a time when Democrats had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, it was downright stupidity for a Republican Senator (Hutchison) from a relatively safe seat to challenge a sitting Governor from her own party.

Even if she had won the gubernatorial primary and resigned her Senate seat, Governor Perry would have to appoint her replacement, and he could appoint someone she opposes out of spite. Plus, Texas is a huge and populous state, and a special Senate election would drain precious campaign resources that would be far more useful in other states where Republicans could challenge Democrat Senators or win open seats of retiring Democrats.

Kay, you’ve had your little ego trip, now it’s time to eat humble pie and do your job, while you still have one.

Steve Z on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

My single complaint about the area of Texas I’m in. Dang, it’s flat.

I’m still adjusting to the terrain.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Great! My daughter was born at Methodist in the Medical Center area.

I love the relaxed atmosphere here in SAT. In Dallas, where I lived (and by the way we moved for hubby’s job back to Plano for two yrs and then move BACK to SAT) you had to make sure that you were dressed up to go to the freakin grocery store!! Makeup, hair, etc….. I saw women at a public elementary school in Plano pick up their kids in August (100+ temp) in high heels and full war paint! My daughters best friend in second grade had a mom who NEVER cooked. They ate out or did take out EVERY meal. True story.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Glad you made it safely to your destination! By Houston?

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM