Hutchison to stay in Senate

posted at 9:30 am on March 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

After Kay Bailey Hutchison announced that she would run for the Republican nomination for governor in Texas, she also promised that she would resign from the Senate after the primaries.  Having lost that primary rather badly to popular incumbent Rick Perry — and after taking quite a beating in the race — some wondered whether Hutchison would leave public life altogether.  According to National Journal, Hutchison will finish her current term in the Senate:

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) will announce today she has decided to serve out the remainder of her term, according to a source familiar with Hutchison’s plans.

The move is a reversal of a pledge Hutchison made to step down as she challenged Gov. Rick Perry (R) earlier this year. Hutchison lost an early March primary against Perry by a surprisingly wide margin.

Hutchison originally said she would step down sometime last fall, before putting off her resignation thanks to the health care debate. Now that the health care debate is over, House GOPers in TX have urged Hutchison to reconsider in a letter sent to the incumbent last week.

The move cancels what would have been a rather perilous special election this November.  Republicans had a half-dozen serious candidates already campaigning for the spot, while Democrats had the former mayor of Houston, Bill White, who may have been able to win in a crowded field.  The special election looked like it might alleviate the Democrats’ expected midterm losses on the national level, and winning a Texas Senate seat would have been quite a bragging coup for the DSCC.  With Hutchison’s decision to stay, the GOP has one less worry in November, which allows them to focus on winning seats held by Democrats rather than playing defense.

It’s good for the Senate GOP caucus as well.  While Hutchison’s move to the center got plenty of focus during the gubernatorial campaign, she has been firm on conservative positions in the 111th Congress.  Hutchison never gave any indication that she would give an inch towards the kind of health-care industry takeover we saw in ObamaCare.  Hutchison has fought against the cap-and-trade bill that will likely get some attention in the waning days of this session.  She’s also been pretty good on immigration reform.  Hutchison is far more useful in office for the next two years than out, especially if the alternative is White.

Update: White dropped out of this race to run against Perry, but I think the point still stands — the Democrats could have coalesced around one candidate while Republicans split the vote on the Right.  Now they don’t have to worry about it and can go through a normal primary process in 2012.  Thanks to R.J. for the reminder.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It was a mistake for KBH to run against Perry. The attacks ads were enough to make me hold my nose in the polls.

Still, either is better than Bill White. I am not impressed with him. Even if you put aside the sanctuary city issues, and the red light cameras we are getting everywhere in Houston for the moment, he’s just not likeable.

He can’t communicate. He spoke at a University of Houston commencement a couple of years ago and it was the worst speech I’ve ever heard. I had no notion what he was trying to convey. It was a boring speech, and it was a confusing one, too.

To top it off, after he finishes speaking he leaves the ceremony. At least he could have stayed to shake the hands of the graduates.

BobOfTexas on March 31, 2010 at 10:32 AM

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 AM

You need to get in the car one weekend and drive down to the Hill Country, like Fredericksburg, Comfort, Johnson City. Marble Falls has a wonderful cafe that serves the BEST pie.

Enchanted Rock state park is just outside Fredericksburg and definetly not flat.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM

One of our current senatorial clowns is going to stay!

Not really good news.

tsj017 on March 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM

White would have been smarter to challenge for one of the statewide downballot seats this year, where his name recognition would be an asset, while the race itself wouldn’t be as high profile and become part of the national election this November which favors Republicans over Democrats (Bush used the ’94 GOP landslide to help him beat Ann Richards, but several incumbent Dems, including the slimy Garry Mauro who lost to Bush in ’98, won their downballot races in ’94 because people weren’t trying to send messages in the same way with elections for Lt. Gov., Land Commissioner or Comptroller).

OT here .. but my family is about to go to El Paso for my daughters volleyball club. How is the violence right now? I’ve been a little leery of the trip. I will admit I’ve never been to El Paso and now it has me a little concerned. Apparently, the hotel they have scheduled up is near the airport. And I’ve heard that’s not the best area. Can you shed any light on that for me? Thanks!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Airport area’s OK — We stay at the Embassy Suites all the time downhill from the airport on I-10 without problems, though parking under a light in the hotel parking area if possible also lowers the risk of any overnight break-in. Pretty much anything from I-10 north isn’t having any troubles right now; just stay away from the border crossings.

jon1979 on March 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I would love to visit Texas sometime, especially Hill Country! Heard so much great things about it.

Apologetic California on March 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Why is this good news? Kay came in 2nd place in the “Porker” award only to Barney Frank. If you like a representaive in the senate who only represents corporate issues, and doesnt give a damn about the citizens, then you might want Kay.
We would have been better off getting a replacement for this useless senator.
-signed a Texas citizen

paulsur on March 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Glad you made it safely to your destination! By Houston?

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I guess so. I thought it was Galveston, but it turns out, Houston is actually closer.

I’m on the bay So. of Houston. I’ve now got the “drift,” which is that Houston is closer, really.

I imagine that I’m in the “rural” area. Seriously, the dogs run free. I don’t think I’ve seen that since the 1950′s in Arkansas! LOL*

It’s totally charming, in my opinion.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Texas is full of dumb/stupid people?

We aren’t the ones re-electing Olympia Snowe over and over. Or John McCain *cough* RHINO *cough*.

Neo on March 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I agree with Jon1979 that you should stay away from the border areas.

My CPA lives in Knippa (ok you Texas residents find that on the map) and he is starting to arm himself and his family. Of course, if you live out here in south Texas, you have to have 12 gauge to fend off the Chupacabra….

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM

jon1979 on March 31, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info! We’ll be at the Radisson. Hubby just bought a new Mega Cab and hasn’t been looking forward to the trip. I’ll make sure we find a well lit area!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Apologetic California on March 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM

That’s what my family encourages me to explore, so I’ll not feel so bereft of hills.

One area that was desolate, between El Paso and some town, had beautiful buttes, hills, etc.

It was truly scenic.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM

OK, marking that down. Thanks for the tip.

I do love the “bayou” areas where I am. I found my good binoculars in the move, and I’m now becoming, as my son says, “a geeky” birder.

The birds are almost enough to offset the lack of hills. Fabulous.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Once you get to Fredericksburg, its hard to leave. As long as you are there, might as well have a beer in
Luckenbach, or at least get the T-shirt. Be sure to take a kite with you to the Llano uplift (Enchanted rock) and if you go down I-20 the right time of year (IIRC
mid August before the cotton is harvested but after it has been sprayed) it looks like snow. And there is one spot on I-20 near Big Spring where you can get a beautiful shot of a wind turbine and an old windmill.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

paulsur on March 31, 2010 at 10:36 A

True – she is a pork barrel senator, and we don’t need that, but vote her out in 2012 and focus on the races at hand for 2010.

BTW thanks to the HAers for the tip about Williams, I am going to research him now and see what the deal is…

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I would also recommend the Fredricksburg area. The shopping and food are wonderful! We are planning a girls trip down there this year as well.

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Texas, economically, recovered from the oil bust. This is not a “rust belt” type state. It’s diverse and has been conservative in fiscal policies.

CA really is a beautiful state, people. It was just caught up in some kind of futuristic self-image, got into a horrible liberal paradigm fiscally, and is really just not people-friendly at this point.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Not to get you any more stressed, but I have several friends here in SAT with family still in Mexico. (They are legal citizens here, with aunts/uncles/cousins still back in the “old country”") They NEVER drive any vehicle that is newer over to visit their relatives. That is a red flag to be kidnapped or even just “messed with”. We are getting a lot of Mexican Nationals moving to south Texas to escape the violence.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Exactly where we’re going. Nice complex there, good doctors.

SA is more like a resort area, I like that.

And the Hill Country has some of the best scenary I’ve seen. I never would have guess that Texas could be that beautiful, growing up in the north.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:47 AM

So KBH is going to be her own seat warmer?

Dr Evil on March 31, 2010 at 10:47 AM

KBH really shafted the GOP on this move, not to mention breaking repeated promises to resign.

However, it’s totally unsurprising.

We would have won the special election and the general as well, next time around. I don’t give her any kudos for staying, nor did I want her to.

TexasDan on March 31, 2010 at 10:48 AM

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Big Springs has the most foul tasting tap water in the world!! Next to Sweetwater Texas. I know what you mean about the cotton fields though. It is an impressive site.

It used to really get to my quirky sense of humor to see so many boats in the driveways of people out in West Texas. Is that still true?

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Dr Evil on March 31, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, since a big part of her campaign was arguing that Rick Perry has been in office too long, she sure seems to like being in office herself.

NoDonkey on March 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM

My family has Texas teacher retiree benefits, which as we joke, means no coverage for teeth, eyes, or ears. What goes when you’re old? *haha

Anyway, they just went to Mexico for some really expensive dental work. What they did was just go to Yuma, parked, took a ride over. It was well-monitored, and they felt safe.

I think the recent story of the rancher killed is more the issue. Man, there is just too much random violence from the drug cartel or people-cartel or whatever it is.

But the standard areas where most of us would be are still safe.

In LA, we used to go to Tijuana area for quick cheap weekend getaways.

No more. That place is way dangerous these days.

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:50 AM

This may have to be reported as a racist hate sentence….

Afterall, just found out on Monday (from the Rev. Al) that the word “our” is a racist term – as in “we’re taking back “our” country.

One can’t be too careful when using our the language these days.

Oopsdaisy on March 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM

KBH really shafted the GOP on this move

How?

AnninCA on March 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Not to get you any more stressed, but I have several friends here in SAT with family still in Mexico. (They are legal citizens here, with aunts/uncles/cousins still back in the “old country””) They NEVER drive any vehicle that is newer over to visit their relatives. That is a red flag to be kidnapped or even just “messed with”. We are getting a lot of Mexican Nationals moving to south Texas to escape the violence.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Just lovely isn’t it??? I know a guy whose father works just across the border and he drives a beat up old car to work everyday. Unfortunately, that didn’t stop him from getting shot last year. :( He survived and continues to work. Crazy if you ask me!

I just seriously doubt I can get him to agree to take my little Accord. :)

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Oh goody gumdrops! I hope she retires and Michael Williams is still waiting in the wings.

NathanG on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I flew into El Paso once… friggin’ wasteland. I half expected a Mad Max race on the freeway.

The only thing worse was driving into west oklahoma from Wichita Falls. Ugly stuff.

Kai on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I’ve heard that the boats are for the once, or twice, per decade that it rains so much the sinkholes flood and the boats are needed to protect yourself from the lobster size mudbugs. Or, that they are actually targets for CAF for when we start the secession.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Bailouts
Senator Hutchison voted for the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.[29], which authorized the creation of the Troubled Assets Relief Program.

After hearing her speech at the time of the Bailouts in ’08. Basically saying that we the people don’t understand whats going on. She needs to go away.

Spinstra on March 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I don’t know why, but I actually like KBH. But I think she gives more of a Texas Democrat vibe than a true GOP person.

Kai on March 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Living here just on the outskirts of El Paso, I’ll tell you there are a whole lot of liberal nutcase dems right here that will pull the lever for White.

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Sorry, just when I saw this we had a power outage!

El Paso is one of the safest cities in the US (I think ranked 4th). The violence in Juarez has indeed come across- but, so far, in very isolated incidents (like when they have competitors killed). I’m not very familiar with the airport area, but it really shouldn’t be bad. Just the same precautions as in other cities- lock your car and don’t leave valuables out in plan sight. I really like downtown El Paso. I feel much safer being there than I did in San Antonio.

Hope that helps!

cibolo on March 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I wish she had gone, I and many of my fellow Texans have always believed that inside of KBH is a screaming liberal Democrat struggling to get out.

E9RET on March 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Kai on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Nah, El Paso isn’t that bad! I flew in and drove to White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. That was pretty desolate, but still beautiful in it’s own way.

BTW if any of you guys want to do something incredibly moving and patriotic, please consider the Bataan Memorial Death March, held every year in March at the White Sands base. It is in honor of the WWII vets who were captured at the start of the war in Bataan and forced to march to prison ships/camps/factories etc. It is an incredible experience.

Sorry to be off topic so much this morning.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:07 AM

There are several hotels and restaurants literally within walking distance of the airport. El Paso’s very safe don’t worry about the reports of violence, they are exaggerated

E9RET on March 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM

There are a lot of lakes to fish/ski on in West Texas. I just bought a nice little cabin on Oak Creek for 30k. I cannot wait for summer to run the boat and Jet Ski. Just don’t rub it in the face of the people from Big Lake!

I flew into El Paso once… friggin’ wasteland.

I grew up in El Paso. I could never live there again. The small conservative West Texas towns I live in now are a great place to raise a family & they are Military friendly. I can hardly go downtown without people thanking me for my service or buying my lunch.

Spinstra on March 31, 2010 at 11:06 AM

White dropped out of this race to run against Perry, but I think the point still stands…

Ed

Texas suffers from the same bipolar condition as the rest of flyover country — a conservative state with weird islands of liberal ghettos, in this case Austin and Houston and pockets of Dallas. The rest of the state couldn’t be more conservative.

So you end up with liberal idiots like White who think that being the mayor of a sh!thole like Houston — which now boasts the nation’s first big-city lesbian mayor — somehow translates into statewide electability. Good luck with that, Bill.

Jaibones on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM

No, this is NOT good news. With our run-off system, it would have been extremely unlikely a Democrat would have won a special election. And the winner (Michael Williams?) would have been a stronger conservative than Hutchinson.

She broke her promise to us Texans, pure and simple.

WannabeAnglican on March 31, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Bishop,

forget the east side of the metroplex, I-30 has some of the worst traffic ever. Take a look at Coppell, Flower Mound, Grapevine. Those are the much better ‘burbs at the moment. Frisco is nice too, but housing is overpriced there (Texas over-priced though, not CA over-priced). Little Elm isnt too bad also. Closer in there is Carrollton, Richardson, Farmers Branch and Garland.

chasdal on March 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM

A couple of observations from Texas…and the Houston area…

First, KBH is WEAK. She always has been. Many people I know who’ve met her or heard her speak locally come away profoundly UNIMPRESSED.

Second, Bill White was a good, effective mayor for Houston, especially as compared to recent mayors. He would be a formidable candidate for state office.

Third, Houston’s current mayor is a pretty conservative, middle-of-the-road type who has a long history of elective office in Houston. That she’s gay is irrelevant to anything.

Forth, Houston (Harris County) is NOT a liberal bastion. That assertion is just stupid. I try jury cases in this area, and it has a well-earned history of being pretty tough on the plaintiff bar.

Ragspierre on March 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Houston — which now boasts the nation’s first big-city lesbian mayor —

Jaibones on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Is there a point to that? Houston has always been more libertarian or farther right than other big Texas cities, and not that I will even consider voting for White over Perry, he is still farther right than most northern republicans.

cozmo on March 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Never take a politician at his her word.

huckleberryfriend on March 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Bishop, the most conservative county in TX is Collin, which is on the NE side of DFW. Come on up to Frisco (my home) or McKinney and you’ll find yourself right at home.

stvnscott on March 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Bishop,

chasdal on March 31, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I’m not sure where you are getting your information. I lived in Coppell in a 1500 sqft home for which I paid $200K. When I wanted to upsize, I couldn’t afford anything in that area. I moved to Frisco and bought a nicer 2000 sqft home for $160K. Six months ago, I bought a 4800 sqft home for $225K. Coppell would have cost me twice that.

stvnscott on March 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Wait this is my skocked face

unseen on March 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I’m planning on moving to Texas as soon as I sell my house.

Looking through the job listings, it seems most are located in Dallas and Irving. But it seems Fort Worth would be a better “fit” for me socally/politically. I’ve been looking for a place somewhere in between Fort Worth and Dallas, like Arlington, to keep my options open. On the map they are only 30 miles apart, but I have no idea what the traffic will do to commute times. Also, I need a top-notch school district.

Any advice?

Rebar on March 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

A special election would have given the RINO’s one less voice and so the RINO’s got her to stay on

unseen on March 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I just have one question. What in the heck were you thinking KBH? Was Texas not RINO enough for you? Of all of the politician’s offices that I have called in Texas during the past year, KBH had the most snotty staffers.

mobydutch on March 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM

stvnscott on March 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I agree you get better bang for the buck in Frisco, Copppell is land locked so the property values are always high there. My husband and I had our first home in Coppell!!

Rebar on March 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Watch out for the neighborhoods in the Arlington corridor … the commute can be gnarly as well, but some of the other HAers who still live in DFW can give you better info than I. My experience was driving last summer, driving back and forth from my folks home in easternish Dallas (White Rock Lake) to a hospice care facility in Irving where my sister was dying. So the traffic sucked, what did I care? I used the drive to get my crying done before I had to face my parents.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Rebar on March 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Oh I forgot! What about Southlake?? I don’t know how expensive that area is , but it is definetly between Dallas and Ft. Worth. It can be sort’ve Stepford Wife -ish from what I have seen, though.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Bishop –
Do NOT settle in Farmers Branch, and be careful of where you look (if you do) in Carrollton. They have been overrun with illegal immigrants, and we just had a reverse ruling from the Supreme Court. Seems the city of Farmers Branch wanted to have an ordinance making it illegal to rent to an illegal alien, but it got overturned, Hmmm if the city is trying to openly discourage illegal aliens living there how bad to you think it is before they would do something like this???

I used to live in Carrollton, and would feed ducks in a park in FB. Drove by last winter, and barely recognized some of my old stomping grounds.

catlady on March 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Any advice?

Rebar on March 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

–Many of the jobs are in Far North Dallas proper or the Frisco/Plano/Richardson/Allen area, rather than between D and FW. You’ll also find a few in burbs to the east of Dallas like Rockwall or Garland.

Traffic can be bad, but it all depends on what you’re used to. Think of (probably) a 60 minute commute to downtown Dallas if you take the toll or freeways. Arlington, Irving, Farmers Branch and Carrollton would be good places to start if you want to live between Dallas and Fort Worth, but you will probably be stuck using tollways rather than freeways, and that can cost $7 each way. Most jobs, though, are not in downtown Dallas but are instead in the “metroplex”.

There are a bunch of good school systems in the DFW area. I know Plano (north Dallas burbs) has good ones. University Park in Dallas proper also has great ones, but the houses there are really, really expensive compared to other places in the metroplex.

Would suggest you go to the Newsweek and US News sites to check out the school systems.

Jimbo3 on March 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

stvnscott on March 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

–I live in Collin. It’s not all that conservative (about 60-40 in favor of McCain last election, down from roughly 80-20 in favor of Bush in 2000). I think Denton (which is directly east of Collin–both are north Dallas subsurbs) is now more conservative than Collin if you look at the last Presidential election.

In any event, Rebar, you can live anywhere in the Dallas metroplex and probably feel fine. No one will assault you for having a McCain bumper sticker.

Jimbo3 on March 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

On balance, it is good news that she’s staying to the end of her term.

While I am not a fan of Kay Bailout Hutchinson, the Democrats should not be given any kind of opening, no matter how small in a 2010 special election for that Senate seat.

Nor should Texas waste its money on the expense of a needless special election.

Focus on getting a strong conservative into the 2012 race and keep this seat in the R column until then.

Edouard on March 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Michael Williams for Senate 2010 2012

tjexcite on March 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

She’s also been pretty good on immigration reform.

Ed, I live in Texas and I can tell you this is 100% absolutrly false. Kay is bought and paid for by corporate Texas who likes the cheap labor that comes with illegal immigration. She would vote in a heartbeat for a McCain/Graham sponsored immigration bill that allowed illegation to get guest visas and work at 1/2 the pay of their American counterparts with no benefits.

paulsur on March 31, 2010 at 2:08 PM

We are overwhelmingly conservative out here in West Texas. In the heart of cotton country where you can see for miles!

maables on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Yeah, but there’s no trees and it rains mud. At least near and in the panhandle (Lubbock specifically).

[obligatory smiley face, of course]

anuts on March 31, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I lived in Sacramento for a while. I liked it, nice place, a lot of things to do, but everyone, thier grandmother, thier cousin, and thier dog are doing it to. Way to crowded!

Spinstra on March 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM

BobOfTexas on March 31, 2010 at 10:32 AM

The sanctuary city was bad enough, but the Katrina deal was a disaster. Crime in Houston sky rocketed.

saiga on March 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM

The NYT is only good for bait > wrap.

saiga on March 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM

saiga on March 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I was kind of up for a special election, but I was really worried that John Sharp could win over a bunch of Repubs splitting the ticket. He would be a strong Dem candidate, because he’s well-regarded and fairly conservative.

Even though Sharp is not too bad, ANY Dem is unacceptable to me. They’ve shown they can all be bought off by Obama, even the “conservative” ones. Plus of course the issue of getting back a majority.

juliesa on March 31, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Williams would have taken it.

Boo.

tigerinexile on March 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Well, good or bad, it is what it is. Two more years to charge up the conservative candidate’s war chest!

Mary in LA on March 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Ann, if you’re still around, I’m glad you’re happy with the move. Just beware that summers are absolutely miserable, except in the mountains of Far West Texas. It’ll be a big change after California. Although I did just meet a woman who moved here from San Diego and liked that it was hotter here at night, so go figure. I hate the heat and humidity, but San Antonio’s my home-for-life, and the weather the rest of the year is usually pretty nice.

juliesa on March 31, 2010 at 4:07 PM