Game over: Hollywood to remake … “Look Who’s Talking”

posted at 10:20 pm on March 31, 2010 by Allahpundit

Just when I thought they’d come up with the worst movie idea ever, they go and dazzle me again.

Look around, my friends. We’ve arrived at the threshold of hell.

Neal Moritz (Prom Night remake, I Am Legend) is producing a Look Who’s Talking remake. Yes: The king of the talking baby movies is returning. The one that started it all, racking up nearly $300 million worldwide and spawning two sequels. They’re remaking it. Making it again. Doing it over.

Is there nothing sacred?

I think TK said it best after I told him about this: “Why would they remake Look Who’s Talking? Why? Didn’t we already have three perfectly sh*tty movies to live with?”

You can never have enough perfectly sh*tty movies, I guess. And now a whole new generation of parents can suffer the pain.

They’re also making a movie based on the E*Trade talking babies, so don’t blow your “infants with comically adult voices” movie fund on a second showing of LWT. Two reasons to post this: (1) The original Look Who’s Talking came out in 1989, which is the latest year yet (I think) for Hollywood’s horrific remake trend. When they start recycling stuff from the 90s, the boycott is on. (2) Is it now officially time … for a government takeover? I know fiscal conservatives oppose such things on principle, but hear me out. For one thing, Hollywood’s product has grown so awful that even the movie equivalent of government cheese couldn’t be worse. Can The One really come up with a worse idea than a “Look Who’s Talking” remake? I ask you. For another thing, liberals already own the industry. Nationalizing it would merely formalize the reality on the ground. Best of all, having federal oversight means the GOP would finally be able to exert some creative pressure once they’re back in power. Granted, in theory we can already do that by staying away from leftist movies, but in practice that doesn’t work: The industry’s endless array of anti-war agitprop has collectively grossed about three dollars, but they just keep churning it out, don’t they? For once, socialism just might be the answer to our problems. Coming soon in 2012: “Avatar 2: The Marines Strike Back.

Comments

Good Lord.

I heard they were remaking Wall-Street. I’m guessing today it will be much worse.

cntrlfrk on March 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM

It has been a beatch of a slow news day…

d1carter on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

They don’t listen. No more talking baby or animal movies !

CWforFreedom on March 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I like Look Who’s Talking. I’m a child of the 80′s, I can’t help it.

sammypants on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM

txag92 on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM

“Avatar 2: The Marines Strike Back.“

Ooh. That’s a good idea.

alflauren on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM

lulz

spmat on March 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

“Caligula” baby…

… now THAT is due for a remake!

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

AP, are you suffering from Hepatitis C too?

conservative pilgrim on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM

They’ve been out of ideas for about 20 years.

SouthernGent on March 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Yes. Atrocious. Of course.

I still maintain that Surf Ninjas is worse.

Diane on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM

“Avatar 2: The Marines Strike Back.“

LOL. I’m telling you, the smurfs have no counter attack for high flying bombers or cruise missiles.

El_Terrible on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM

When they start recycling stuff from the 90s, the boycott is on.

But then you’ll miss the remake of Robot Jox!

malclave on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Is there nothing sacred?

No, that’s religious bigotry. LOL!

spmat on March 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM

There is a website called the “Hollywood Stock Exchange” which has been around for several years now. It’s a fake stock exchange where movies are stocks. They have a list of movies and their respective status, such as “production”, “theory”, “editing”, etc. Maybe check it out to see what other redo movies Hollywood is going to do because they’ve ran out of creativity!

http://www.hsx.com is the website

Weebork on March 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Well, he did have the Jimmy Carter remake

conservnut on March 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I’m trying to remember the last time Hollywood got so much as a nickel from me. Sounds like I’m not missing much.

AUINSC on March 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I gotta hand it to ya, you’re right.

That’s the new title of his upcoming autobiography on film–”Look Who’s Talking!” with the subtitle “Now, all the rest of you serfs just STFU!”

ted c on March 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Ugh,little ObamaRugRatBots !!!

canopfor on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Even Dante couldn’t handle this.

Jim-Rose on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Eh, who cares? I never liked the original Look Who’s Talking anyway. What’d be hilarious is if they got Abe Vigoda again to be the grandpa. He’s actually the right age now for the part.

Doughboy on March 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM

80s movie remakes in the age of Obama

Porky’s Revenge: Revenge of Nancy Pelosi

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Smokin’ it like it’s legal

Revenge of the Nerds: starring Henry Waxman

Police Academy 16: IRS Unit in Training

Red Dawn: The Chinese are in port and they want to see their sh!t

Weird Science: CRU edition

ok ok…that sucked.

ted c on March 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM

It’s confirmed! Hollywood is out of original ideas. They are now re-making the re-made drek they did in the 1980s.

The absurdity of this is that the themes in humanity are universal but marketing possibilities are not.

There is no originality in today’s movies and it shows. A movie proposal without tie-ins to happy meals will not be produced.

highhopes on March 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Hollywood is FULL of CREATIVE people. Or so we’re told. What’s next on the ‘re-make’ list of these CREATIVE PEOPLE.

GarandFan on March 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM

It has been a beatch of a slow news day…

d1carter on March 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

And with the President and Congress we have, I think that’s good news.

El_Terrible on March 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM

El_Terrible on March 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Yup, we need a break from the madness…

d1carter on March 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM

For once, socialism just might be the answer to our problems

But Sean Penn wouldn’t make so much money! What will he do? Move to Venezuela?

terryannonline on March 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM

“Avatar 2: The Marines Strike Back.“

I’d watch that… Sounds epic.

Lehosh on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

GarandFan on March 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I’m crossing my fingers for Glitter 2!

terryannonline on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

It’s as if we are being punished intentionally…..

Dr Evil on March 31, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I just know that with all this HD and 3-D tech we got working for us…. Remake Ishtar, Gigli!

ThePrez on March 31, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I can’t wait for the Three Men and a Baby remake that tells the story of how three men fight to have homosexual polygamists marriages recognized by the state while balance the needs of raising an infant child.

WashJeff on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I’m crossing my fingers for Glitter 2!

terryannonline on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Myself, I’m hoping for “Cool As Ice 2″ – Vanilla Ice is probably available.

mjk on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I’m crossing my fingers for Glitter 2!
terryannonline on March 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I’m pretty sure that movie would be a sign of the end times.

Slublog on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

They are also making Bay Watch into a movie. Which would you rather see… b00bs or babies?txag92 on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I am going to have to vote babies. Pamela Anderson has passed her expiration date.

TXMomof3 on March 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Please don’t give Him ideas.

RINO in Name Only on March 31, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Hey, they’re also remaking “Private Benjamin” and putting a remake of “The Rockford Files” on tv. Seriously. It just keeps going…

brak on March 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM

It seems I was wrong – I had thought that after making the definitive anti-Iraq War/War on Terror box office flop, Hollywood’s elite would turn their attention back to making big screen versions of old television shows. The world is just waiting for Mayberry RFD to come to the silver screen!

ironman on March 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM

ted c on March 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM

That was very funny.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Look Who’s Talking: The Time for Talk is Over

WashJeff on March 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Can’t wait for “Ishtar II”…

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I can’t wait for “Leonard, Part 6, Part 2″.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I’m ready for a Sound of Music remake. Get Brittney Spears for Maria, biatches

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Ack. They need a supercollider to bolster some new creativity and imagination in Hollywood.

scalleywag on March 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Why do I get the feeling the first movie Barack Obama would make be about a young liberal politician from Chicago named Narack Fama who then becomes President of the United States and transforms America?

terryannonline on March 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I’d also like to see The Godfather redone with Keanu Reeves doing ALL the parts.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I think this problem is a result of the drugging of children for add, adhd, and the like. It sucks the creativity out of them so there are less and less artists out there

Daveyardbird on March 31, 2010 at 10:56 PM

How ’bout ET with Abe Vigoda in the title role. I’d pay to see that.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I’m pretty sure that movie would be a sign of the end times.

Slublog on March 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

There was this movie, if you would call it that, that portrayed a dancer in Las Vegas that was so bad, the actress has not been seen since…

… Thank God I can’t remember the name, (Showgirls), nor saw it, but if it ever saw the light of day again, especially a remake, I would second your declaration of the end of times.

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I’d like to see Robin Hood 2 with Matthew McConaughey instead of Kevin Costner.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM

ok ok…that sucked.

ted c on March 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM

ted c: No it didn’t,its a gem,*wink*,just needs to be
polished!!:)

canopfor on March 31, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Elizabeth Berkley (AKA Jessie Spano from Saved by the Bell)!! Heh.

NathanG on March 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Actually, I kind of like “Showgirls.”
So horribly bad, it’s good, IYKWIM.

Hollywood’s been out of ideas for quite some time.
Unless you watch “smaller” films like “The Hurt Locker” and “The Blind Side,” you’d never know there was anything original coming out of there.

Jenfidel on March 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I’d like to see Robin Hood 2 with Matthew McConaughey instead of Kevin Costner.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Interesting choice, but nothing says “End of Days”, repent the end is near like Keanu.

Laura in Maryland on March 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I hear Robert Townsend is eager to make B*A*P*S 2 starring Maya Angelou and Cynthia McKinney.

/s

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Could be worse. Someone might want to remake Surf Nazis Must Die!

Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things?

Squirm, maybe? Possibilities are endless!

Liam on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 PM

What the world needs now is SSSSSSS 2.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM

This is an early April Fools, right?

WaltzingMtilda on March 31, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM

DH and I just recently re-watched this… couldn’t turn away. There is no level of bad that this movie does not touch on. I finally turned to him and said “This has to be a parody. It has to. And if so, the most brilliant parody ever, because it seriously makes you question if it’s a parody or not.”

WaltzingMtilda on March 31, 2010 at 11:42 PM

The irony of it all: Nobody’s planning a remake of “Groundhog Day.” I mean, c’mon…

Mr Michael on March 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I freaking love ‘Look Who’s Talking’. Yeah, I was 9 when it came out, but I still enjoy it today, it is a fun movie. There is no way they will be able to replace Travolta, Alley and Bruce Willis. Heck even the sequel was decent with Roseanne Barr doing a voice over.

But come on, a remake THIS early of a movie that really doesn’t need one? it’s about talking babies, we have enough of that, just make a new one.

Daemonocracy on March 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Mr Michael on March 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Best. Seasonal. Movie. Ever.

RachDubya on March 31, 2010 at 11:52 PM

E-Trade babies movie?

Looks like no one learned from the “Cavemen” TV show and a whole host of video games, like….Cool Spot, McKids, the Burger King games, Yo Noid, Chester Cheetah, Trolls, the California Raisins game…in other words, mascot stuff sucks.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM

What can men do against such reckless hate?

July 10 on April 1, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Coming soon in 2012: “Avatar 2: The Marines Strike Back.”

Haha, that cracked me up.

clearbluesky on April 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM

/s

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on March 31, 2010 at 11:08 PM

You know, I have strange tastes, but I thought B.A.P.S. was Halle Berry’s finest work.
LOL
In fact, I think I could enjoy BAPS 2 with Cynthia McKinney and Maya Angelou…a lot!
(Don’t forget the gold teeth.)

Jenfidel on April 1, 2010 at 12:42 AM

They’re also remaking Rockford Files.

NO! PLEASE! Don’t ruin a classic.

PattyJ on April 1, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Disney has Robert Zemeckis directing the remake of Yellow Submarine. It’s going to be CG and 3D – like the recent A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey.

Bummer.

Zemeckis probably won’t screw the pooch too badly — they’re talking about including songs that weren’t in the original movie and that has it’s possibilities — but I was hoping that if a remake was done, Pixar would do it.

DuffBeer on April 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Hollywood’s been out of ideas for quite some time.

Jenfidel on March 31, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I don’t know, every time I see Liam Neeson say, “Release the Kraken!” I get a little thrill up my leg.

Cheeeeeesetastic.

Diane on April 1, 2010 at 4:02 AM

And this is why I’ve gotten into anime recently. Sure, the JApanese make crap, too, but at least it’s original crap.

ScoopPC11 on April 1, 2010 at 5:56 AM

But then you’ll miss the remake of Robot Jox!

Ya know, I love mech related sci-fi like Battletech, Robotech, Gundam Wing, and such…but Robot Jox was a festering pile o’ poo. Here’s hoping that Tobey Maguire doesn’t screw up the Robotech movie too much. Although if the rumors of him trying to cast himself as Rick Hunter are true, I’m not holding out much hope…

Battlecruiser-operational on April 1, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I can understand remaking a good story, people like to steal nice things all the time. They are still using jokes or variations of jokes from the Vaudeville days, but this defies all logic.

These are just insane. Didn’t I just see a story about Hollyweird cutting back on expenses and not approving every project that comes along?

I’m pretty much down to Netflix and shared copies of movies now. At least I can still rent some older films.

Well I suppose Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure is due soon.

reaganaut on April 1, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Politically, these folks haven’t had an original thought since 1968. Why would they have anything original when it comes to moviemaking?

Sekhmet on April 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Art is dead! There’s nothing left to say. Style is exhausted and content is pointless. Art has no purpose. All that’s left is commodity marketing.

rollthedice on April 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM

hollywood jumped the shark a long time ago. just stop going to movies and turn off the tv.

jbh45 on April 1, 2010 at 8:42 AM

More proof that the majority of liberals are lazy and lack creativity.

The art world is filled with artists recreating or copying other people’s works. Andy Warhol, for example. He just copied soup cans and other people’s photos. If they aren’t vomiting on a podium or crapping in cans they copy another’s work.
The movie world is no different. They are humorless. They have little talent. There are always exceptions, of course, but by and large, it is conservatives who are the most creative and original with their ideas.

JellyToast on April 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Are you ready for Gigli 2?

ZK on April 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM

But what I want to know is- will it be in 3-D? Creativity is scarce nowadays. Remakes just try to make millions off of yesterday’s successes, stealing other people’s original ideas. Haven’t been to the movie theatre in I don’t know when.

kitkat-n.c. on April 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I cannot emphasize enough how much I hate, loathe, despise, will get up out of my seat to find the remote to change the channel, cannot stand the concept of “talking babies.” It is pure evil. Never saw the original, nor any sequel, will not watch this one.

Just be glad they haven’t decided to remake Gone with the Wind or African Queen or (crap, just checked on imdb.com, the Swedes did remake The Big Sleep) . . . Maltese Falcon was already a remake.

rbj on April 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Have decent Hollywood writers “gone Galt”?

Seriously.

I read this and think of all the crappy remakes, both at the movies and on TV, retreading old TV shows into movies, etc and can’t help but think of “Atlas Shrugged” a bit.

Remember in the book, all of the innovators, the producers, the risk takers – “disappeared”. Those left couldn’t do anything. they had no original ideas – all they could do was retread existing technology (like trying to keep the trains running, but ultimately had to pull out older trains because they couldn’t fix the newer ones).

Can you think of the last, good, really original Hollywood movie you’ve seen?

catmman on April 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM

One mark of the decline of a Civilization is the debasement of its artwork. Need I say more?

Osis on April 1, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Okay, so I thought Look Who’s Talking was kind of cute. So sue me. That said, can they please leave horror movies alone. The remake of Halloween was stupid. It wasn’t suspenseful or scarey. And nevermind the “sequel,” can you have a sequel to a remake? But now an even worse idea…they’re are remaking Nightmare on Elm Street. This isn’t some guy hidden behind a mask, this is Freddie. And Robert Englund is Freddie.
They can’t some up with any origial ideas. Sorry but Avatar was not an original idea at all. But remakes generally suck. What’s next…Casablanca with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes? Gone with the Wind with Matt Damon and Miley Cyrus?
Actually when we got bored some friends and I use to sit around and see who could come up with the worst remake…The Casablanca idea won hands down.

Deanna on April 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM

OK, this once I will agree with a Govt. takeover of Hollyweird. It’s in the toilet anyway, and we all know how well the Govt. runs things. Hollyweird would be a distant memory in a couple of years. Of course, Bambi would have to make the ‘Look Who’s Talking’ sequal. I imagine it would be titled; ‘Look Who’s Talking and Talking and Talking and Talkin……..’

ZeeMI on April 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Just changed my mind on the Govt takeover part…we’d be stuck with crappy Obummer movies on our dime…sorry. I was thinking along the lines that maybe govt. takeover would be the final nail. I forgot just for a minute that freakin govt programs never die.

ZeeMI on April 1, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Okay now it’s getting out of hand! There’s a rumor they are remaking Death Wish with Bronson…ready for this…Sylvester Stallone is directing and starring. And Escape From New York and Hitchcock’s the Birds are also being remade.

Deanna on April 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM

This is a good reason to support independent film makers. The best movie I have seen all year is called INK. It was creative, beautiful, and entertaining. You could tell it was a little low budget, but the lack of eye popping \”special effects\” made it so that the story and characters had to make it float, not the computer graphics. It was the total opposite of Avatar which was stunning and empty. I highly recommend it- you can see it on Netflicks, and on Hulu for free: http://www.hulu.com/watch/116313/ink Then if you love it- send some cashey money to the film makers. Send them a message that they don\’t need Hollywood.

Kristamatic on April 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Hollywood hasn’t had an original idea since edison invented the movie projector.

Mini-14 on April 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The E*Trade ads are hilarious, but making them into a movie is just stupid.

Ortzinator on April 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM

This promises to be as intelligent and timely as the Obama “administration”.

In short, something that no one at all wants or needs.

NoDonkey on April 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM

They should really start making movies from modern novel plots before they go re-making anything.
There are some great fantasy novels out there that no body has touched. Eddings, Feist, come on, take your pick.

Count to 10 on April 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Each week I check the new dvd releases. For along time I’ve been amazed by the number of really bad movies being produced and released on dvd. With DVDs and the international markets, I guess they can sell this junk.

Blake on April 1, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Get your boycott on, then. The upcoming Death at a Funeral is a remake from…2007. Frank Oz directed the previous one. All the characters (except Simon, exceptionally portrayed by Firefly‘s Alan Tudyk) were English.

From the previews, it appears that much of the script was kept intact, only changing it where English-English (make sense?) words/phrases were replaced by words/phrases that an African-American family would use.

At least they’ve changed the names of the characters. Oh, and, Peter Dinklage plays the same part–but different names for the character–in both movies.

I love the original, and am very disappointed that they’ve already remade a movie that’s barely three years old.

jedijson on April 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM

We…Need…New….Conservative….Ideas…

CynicalOptimist on April 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Can we just get A.W.E.S.O.M.E. O to go to some Hollywood Exec’s Board meeting and give them 2,000+ movie ideas w/ Adam Sandler. That’d be better than this.

LtBarnwell02 on April 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM

The makers of Shawshank Redemption can sleep at night – this movie is not a threat.

On the other hand it’ll make kids happy :)

If I had any kids I’d take them to see this, but not for its great cinematic content… it’s entertaining, cute, and feelgood cliche fest. So what :)

AlexB on April 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

txag92 on March 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Boobs. Maybe they should make it like a Japanese anime production, with plenty of kabuki-style comedy and “nonsense satire”. But no David Hasselhoff, please. Far as I know, he himself is anti-war, and definitely too nutty for my tastes!

What I would really like though, is for both DC and Marvel comics to cut out the crap they’ve been pulling since 2004 with forced, pointless deaths for shock’s sake and company wide crossovers. Even now, after Blackest Night is done, they still haven’t fully reversed the monstrosities they pulled. And I’ve already decided not to buy any more of Geoff Johns’ output as a writer anymore, so in that sense, they’ve lost me as a customer anyway.

I saw Look Who’s Talking twenty years ago. It was well done, but the sequels were repugnant. I’d say that’s one more reason not to remake them. I don’t trust them not to avoid the atrocities it all degenerated into.

By the way…some of you may be aware that even old TV series are being remade? 5 years ago, Kojak was remade briefly, with a black star taking up Telly Savalas’ role. Unfortunately, I think that’s as far as it got: he was just African-American, without any background to rival Kojak’s Greek background, coming from say, Ghana, or Upper Voltra, or even Nigeria. Now, there may be a remake of the Rockford Files, and I don’t expect that to make much of an impression either. Hollywood is plumb out of steam, even in TV land.

Avi Green on April 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I have an affectionate place for the first original LWT movie. I went into labor with my youngest child about halfway through the movie. Had to wait over a week to finish watching it.

But I agree that this is stupid news. Nobody needs this.

Mommynator on April 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM