Ramirez on “smart power”

posted at 8:05 am on March 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

No Obamateurism for today — our President hasn’t been trying enough the past week — but instead I’ll offer this excellent entry by one of America’s best editorial cartoonists, Michael Ramirez of Investors Business Daily. In fact, this is a follow-up on a couple of recent Obamateurisms concerning Barack Obama’s handling of American diplomacy. While Obama talks about offering an open hand to those nations hostile to the US, Obama seems to be only offering a solitary finger to an American ally surrounded by hostile enemies:

The line from The Godfather advises people to keep their friends close but their enemies closer. In this case, Obama’s attempting to keep our enemies close but our friends distant, and not just the Israelis. The British are now openly talking about the end of the “special relationship,” the Anglo-American alliance that has kept the free world safe and secure for seven decades. This isn’t “smart power” — it’s a dumb debacle.

Ramirez has a terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives a fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

OT: Krugman admits “death panels” will save us a lot of money…

tetriskid on March 30, 2010 at 8:09 AM

“And the pig got up and slowly walked away.”

Wethal on March 30, 2010 at 8:10 AM

This isn’t “smart power” — it’s a dumb debacle.

dear leader with rose colored glasses on…

W may not have had a lot of friends, but I’m sure these folks respected him alot more than dear leader

cmsinaz on March 30, 2010 at 8:15 AM

No OOTD?

blatantblue on March 30, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Maria Anastasia O’Grady had an article in WSJ yesterday on how the State Department is still meddling in Honduras. Obama cannot have a country like Honduras stand up to him and win. Like the issues with the Israelis, it’s a matter of the administration’s credibility.

Visas that were suspended have not been restored and the US ambassador is still trying to get them to accept Zelaya back (allegedly as a private citizen), even though the Honduran officials say Zelaya will be arrested if he comes back again.

Wethal on March 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM

No OOTD?

blatantblue

This entire administration is an OOTD every day.

Crusader Rabbit on March 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM

No bow to King Saud?

InDubly on March 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM

That line may be been in The Godfather, but it is Sun Tzu to which the quote should actually be attributed.

mwdiver on March 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I will gladly give up the next 2.5 years of my life if it means getting Dear Liar out of office immediately. He is actively hostile to the entire idea of the United States of America.

rbj on March 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Ramirez ROCKS – I check out his work every weekday!

rockbend on March 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that Sarkozy is begging Obama lead the world in Financial reform.

“We should invent a new global monetary order,” he said Monday, insisting that new regulations would “save capitalism.”

“You can’t let people simply die,” he said. Then he delivered the line that brought his hearty applause from the audience: “If you come to France and something happens to you, you won’t be asked for your credit card before you’re rushed to the hospital.”

Sarkozy and the first lady will join the Obamas for a private dinner in the White House on Tuesday.

I’m guessing Obama won’t shun him and walk out of the room.

cntrlfrk on March 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Obama seems to be a combination of FDR, Mussolini and Jimmah (I hate Jews) Carter.

darwin on March 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Some of the liberals at my work (still got a job, thank God) are finally embarrassed by this tool-in-chief.

solidaction on March 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you do about Iran? Invade?

factoid on March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

solidaction on March 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

That’s a start. Are they also coming to the realization that he hates America and is actively engaged in bringing her down?

darwin on March 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you do about Iran? Invade?

factoid on March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

How about starving it of money and energy? The only way anything would work against Iran was if the US took a strong position and stood firm. With an obvious anti-Semite in the White House, that ain’t happening. He caters to muslims (well, any enemy of the US really) and craps on our allies.

A complete disaster which will do nothing but embroil the world in eventual conflict.

darwin on March 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I love Ramirez’s work. I wonder if he’s ever published a collection of his works. Ed, can you look into that for us?

JohnInCA on March 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

OOTD?
I don’t know, I thought the dead of night visit to Afghanistan was pretty bad. GWB made multiple unannounced trips to both Iran and Afghanistan, but it wasn’t under cover of darkness.

Chewy the Lab on March 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM

since this clown came into office he has shunned our friends and tried to embrace our enemies. what have we gotten from this appalling behavior? is the world safer for americans?

yep, my thoughts exactly….geez.

jbh45 on March 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM

JohnInCA on March 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM

From the bottom of the post.

mwdiver on March 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM

JohninCA left off his sarc tag.
That’s why those are necessary, John. People take you literally when you don’t use it.

Extrafishy on March 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM

The Anglo-American alliance that has kept the free world safe and secure for seven decades.

Ummm, 2010 – 70 = 1940. The inclusion of the Second World War within this “safe and secure” period seems absurd to me.

year_of_the_dingo on March 30, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Wethal on March 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Kudos to the Hondurans for standing up to both thugs (Zelaya and Obama).

You got rid of your tyrant-in-chief, Hondurans. We’re stuck with ours for three more years. Pray for us.

AZCoyote on March 30, 2010 at 9:34 AM

We have a chump-in-chief who keeps getting his lunch money stolen from the schoolyard bully.

Keep playing nice and you’ll get your dividends, Barry.

A wedgie and an ass kicking, you little twerp.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you do about Iran? Invade?

factoid on March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

General Curtis Lemay would know what to do.

No need for an invasion. You don’t need to occupy a parking lot.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Here I thought it would be something about Obama in a flight jacket. He really did seem to like wearing that. You think Michelle ever convinced him to take it off when he came to bed that night?

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I’d love to hear what some of our allies would have to say off-the-record about Obama as compared to Bush.

Farmer_Joe on March 30, 2010 at 9:48 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM

He made her call him “Maverick”.

John McCain was not amused, but then, the campaign is over.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I think in the cartoon panel of Obama and Israel a better depiction would be Obama wearing a PLO black & white scarf and giving Israel the finger…

albill on March 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, what would you do about Iran? Invade?

factoid on March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

General Curtis Lemay would know what to do.

No need for an invasion. You don’t need to occupy a parking lot.

NoDonkey on March 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Simple, as John McCain said
“Bomb, bomb, bomb
Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran”

sh221b on March 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

year_of_the_dingo on March 30, 2010 at 9:32 AM

So you are saying that WWII was a waste of time? In the end it did not make the world safer? Is that what you are saying? Because that seems absurd to me.

uknowmorethanme on March 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Hey factiod, Thats what the ICBM’s are for STUPID!

nukeemnow on March 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

At least Obama wasn’t “scratching” with his middle finger again.

DrAllecon on March 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

The only thing missing from the cartoon is the huge smile & warm handshake Obamao gave to Hugo the Thug-o.

itsnotaboutme on March 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Did anyone notice that all the solider’s cameras being used in the Afghanistan stop were all the same. Looks like history repeating itself, again.

Franklyn on March 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, what would you do about Iran? Invade?

factoid on March 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Bomb them back to the stone age…no wait…that’s what they want. No music. No art. No joy.
Ayatoilet Sosmelly…(Khomeini)
“There is no joy in islam.”
Well…there’s some joy…
The purest joy in Islam is to kill and be killed for Allah,_ Ayatollah Khomeini
Search “Ayatollah Khomeini little green book” Have a barf bag ready and search within that book for thighing and sex with animals.
I’ll not go in to it all here. Too sick for words…

Army Brat on March 31, 2010 at 5:13 AM