Exclusive: Dennis Lennox withdraws, endorses Dr. Dan Benishek in Stupak’s district

posted at 5:15 pm on March 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today on TEMS, I spoke with Dennis Lennox, one of the Republicans who had announced his intention to run against Bart Stupak in Michigan’s 1st CD. Today, Lennox announced his withdrawal on the race on my show and gave us the exclusive first interview to discuss his decision:

Lennox has endorsed Dr. Dan Benishek for the Republican nomination, based on Benishek’s ability to garner support from a national effort. Lennox also told me that he has reached out to the other Republicans in the primary race to convince them to withdraw and unify behind Benishek. Lennox will instead run for the Michigan legislature — where he feels government has stopped working for the people, in no small part because of the warping effects of term limits. Be sure to listen to the whole interview, and thank Lennox for his sacrifice by donating to his state-house effort.

Tomorrow on The Ed Morrissey Show, I’ll be talking with Dr. Benishek after my interview with Governor Tim Pawlenty. The show starts at 3 pm ET, right here at Hot Air!

Comments

Good job. That’s what we need more of…people who put the country first. He probably would have been a fine House member too, just based on his selflessness.

AUINSC on March 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Hats off to Lennox. Benishek is pretty unpolished as a candidate and it takes a real set of principles to clear the path for him like this. As someone who’s contributed to Benishek, I hope he doesn’t blow this opportunity to hand the execrable Bart Stupak his walking papers.

Cicero43 on March 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I do believe this is what our Founders had in mind. Thanks to him for putting country ahead of personal wants.

I gave to Scott Brown, and I do believe I will give to Benishek in his money bomb. Can we be as successful as with Scotty B? Lets try!

lukespapa on March 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Adios, Stugepak.

JoeySlippers on March 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Rare

blatantblue on March 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I can’t watch the interview but m a bit puzzled by this:

They have term limits which are warping the representation or do they not have term limits?

a capella on March 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Kudos to you, Mr. Lennox. Dr. Dan got big exposure in part because of HA, so it was even more gracious to interview with Ed.

Tata, Stewpack.

GnuBreed on March 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

The guy in the pic looks like a Ken Doll.

But then we are talking about Stupak.

upinak on March 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

The greater good.

Mr. Lennox, we won’t forget it. You sir are a patriot.

portlandon on March 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

To Quote Forrest: “Stupak is as Stupak does”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I can’t watch the interview but m a bit puzzled by this:

a capella on March 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

The downside of Term Limits is that a Legislator is NOT accountable to the people during his last term: he can’t get re-elected anyway.

Unintended consequences…they’re a b**ch!!

landlines on March 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

landlines on March 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

yeah, but I think that’s true for any politician ready to retire. I guess it does make that unaccountability happen more often though…

angelwing34215 on March 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I wish we heard about this guy before…he seems more polished- and he has a website! How come only Benishek got all the attention?

Cheryl_O on March 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Thank-you Mr. Lennox, now if you could convince Mike Bouchard and Mike Cox to get behind Pete Hoehstra for governor.

fourdeucer on March 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Pete Hoehstra

Pete Hoekstra

fourdeucer on March 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Mr. Lennox, I salute you. Thank you for thinking of the best for the people instead of for yourself. We need many more people like you to get our country back.

I donated to Dr. Dan as well when Stupidak pulled his Benedict Arnold. I will also be donating to Mr. Lennox. God bless you sir and good luck!

sicoit on March 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

It looks as if Lennox is a true patriot and has a good head on his shoulders. Good for him taking a path that may lead to bigger and better things. I went to Benishek’s website last night and he seems to have put his message out there. Can’t argue with any of his talking points. It’s exactly what I want. I am glad that Ed is having him on tomorrow so we can all hear what he has to say. All of a sudden he has been thrown into national stage. I hope he can deal with it. He is worth watching.

BetseyRoss on March 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

a capella on March 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Michigan does indeed have term limits. What Lennox is referring to is that the Michigan legislature was previously controlled by the Republicans through a large number of long-term Senators and Representatives. When term limits were instituted in 1993 it allowed the Democrats to challenge for many seats that they would not have had a chance at had the incumbents been allowed to continue holding them. This has served to turn the state legislature to Democrat control in recent years.

Hawthorne on March 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM

We need men like Dennis Lennonx. Selfless and patriotic. He deserves props and donations. He’ll certainly get a donation from me.

cubachi on March 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I really hope Stupak can be beat, but I kind of feel like Benishek lacks the gravitas to inspire. I hope I’m wrong.

Stupak has simply got to go, though. I put him on a par with Barry in terms of being an absolute fraud and liar. I saw him on with Greta Van Susteren just after the health care vote, the next day I think, and he was talking about all the threats he has received and he repeated the LIE about democrat Congressmen being spit on and called the “n” word. Watching it, you could tell he KNEW it was a lie — a vicious, dirty, immoral, and well-coordinated lie — but he was throwing it out there anyway because a little irresponsible, reprehensible race-baiting would make his life easier. The twinkle in his eye told me he could not care less if someone gets injured or worse because he traded in such a sleazy lie for political gain. It was the picture of a truly despicable human being. It made my skin crawl. Evil really does come dressed in a nice suit and an earnest smile sometimes.

Rational Thought on March 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Great move. I hope other potential candidates hear about this and do what’s right.

darwin on March 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

To Quote Forrest: “Stupak is as Stupak does”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One):)
============================
Life Is Like A Box

canopfor on March 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

angelwing34215 on March 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

What would Congress do if there were 435 lameducks.

They’d pass a VAT…just like the lameduck Dems will after the November elections.

uknowmorethanme on March 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Best news I have read all day. My hat is off to Mr. Lennox.

crosspatch on March 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Hawthorne on March 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM

And we’re in a complete mess because of it…not as bad as California, but close.

Kudos to Mr. Lennox. The UP is made up of generally great people…family-oriented, hard-working, decent types (UP = Upper Penisula for non-Michiganders).

Stupak is the exception, of course. And I’ll leave it at that in order to escape the ban-hammer.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 30, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Do you hear that Bart?There coming to take you away Hey Hey There coming to take you away.

thmcbb on March 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

BetseyRoss on March 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Rational Thought on March 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Doc Dan may seem unpolished and appear a bit ‘rumpled’ when compared to the ‘suited’ politician. That’s Doc Dan. But you don’t get to be a respected surgeon with 30 years of experience if you are a dolt or uninspiring at the personal level.

There are 300,000 people in the Upper Peninsula and a bit more than 300,000 in the northern portion of the Lower Peninsula that make up CD 1.

A few things to know about Yoopers. We aren’t big on suits. We aren’t big on ties. We are big on trusting another person’s word. There are still deals made up here that involve no legal papers or signatures. Stupak violated all of that. People up here are pissed.

The population of the UP is aging, and the HCR bill has worried a lot of the inhabitants. We have been losing our hospitals as businesses disappear and population declines.

The quarterly fliers that Stupak has been sending to all of us in our mail have been taking credit for items and agendas that he has being supporting for the good of CD 1, and the pork he has brought to the district. Funny thing is, none of us can find any of it, nor any results from it.

The voters of CD 1 are now more likely to vote for the unpolished native son if he speaks the truth rather than the ‘suit’ that speaks with a Washington accent. When you think of the UP dialect think of the movie Fargo. Stupak may be a native of the UP, but he doesn’t sound like us anymore. And he doesn’t think like us anymore. Doc Dan does.

We tend to take care of our own messes here. We will take care of Stupak. We will help Doc Dan.

Yoop on March 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Another point: I would not be surprised to hear that Stupak considers a retirement. There had been rumors around that he might be thinking of a Senate run, down the road. If he still thinks he could pull that off at a later date he might take a retirement, and a few years off, to avoid the stigma of a defeat in CD 1. Just a thought.

Yoop on March 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Looking forward to the Dr Benishek interview.

Dr Evil on March 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Libertarians and conservatives in Michigan pushed the term limits which meant that we had to get rid of John Engler as governor, a huge mistake since Engler did a good job. While no limits means power gets entrenched, as has been pointed out, term limits mean that legislators are not very accountable, particularly in their final term.

To my fellow dextros, so how’s Jenny Granholm’s working out as gov?,

rokemronnie on March 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Unintended consequences…they’re a b**ch!!

landlines on March 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Ain’t they!

Mini-14 on March 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Don’t tell Allah you’re putting Benishek on your show. He says Benishek is just another in a long line of the unwashed masses who don’t have a chance against an entrenched incumbent.

csdeven on March 30, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is what unity of purpose looks like. Here is a guy who volunteered to whats right along with others (from the same team). After surveying the battlefield, he finds that a unified force is stronger than factions fighting for control, even though they all have the same goal and decided to bow out in order to advance the conservative movement. Honor before self.

Mr. Lennox is, by his deeds, an American. I bet he was a Marine, too. He makes us proud.

Thank you, Dennis.

BobMbx on March 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Yoop on March 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Oh yeah, don’t cha know, youbetcha. :)

redwhiteblue on March 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I hate to throw cold water on this parade, but Lennox was charged with sending out campaign literature with his Christmas cards as drain commissioner and charging the postage to the county.

After this little escapade his candidacy for anything wasn’t very viable, especially against Stupak.

flytier on March 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Of course Bart thinks he’s Santa Claus — after all, Christmas is in his district.

ya2daup on March 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

That is the mark of a statesman and a true patriot. Awesome job; this kind of thing can make Congresscritter Stupak into ex-Congresscritter Stupak come this November. It wouldn’t have been so bad if he had come out and been honest, but the posturing and kabuki that actually gave people hope that their country would not be destroyed deserves a political defeat of epic proportions. In a just world, Bark Stupak’s November vote count would be one — even his own mother would not vote for him.

/Of course it won’t be that good, there are going to be plenty of people who view the rest of the country and its taxpayers as their paycheck and providers, so he will get votes. Let’s just hope that there are not a majority of such leeches in his district.

AZfederalist on March 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Good for him.

LASue on March 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM

To my fellow dextros, so how’s Jenny Granholm’s working out as gov?,

rokemronnie on March 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM

It’s been more than 5 years, and we’ve been blown away….

NavyspyII on March 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Jenny needs to have her lyin’, lawyer, Canadian butt kicked back to where she came from. Been Governor for 12 years and still blaming Engler for the bad economy for which she is responsible. Took a huge surplus and put the state into at deficit in 2 years.

flytier on March 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM