American women have a fee-vah and the only prescription is more guns

posted at 9:15 pm on March 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Well, maybe. One study last year claimed 70 percent of gun-shop owners report more women buyers; a different study alleged that women owned 10.8 percent of the nation’s guns in 2008 versus 10.5 percent in 1980, an amazingly stable figure. Of course, the two aren’t necessarily contradictory: Could be that gun ownership by women was flat for decades until Obama was elected, sparking a buying frenzy fueled by panic that our new progressive overlords would soon crack down on sales. (Which is exactly what happened after the election.) I have to say, though, I’ve never thought gun-grabbing was a big part of The One’s agenda. His leftist dreams have always skewed more towards redistribution, and I think he rightly figures that in order to maintain the capital he needs to push his program in that area, he’d best avoid political battles pitting him against key cultural elements of middle and rural America. That’s why I thought that ESPN story about O supposedly wanting to restrict recreational fishing was bogus. There’s just too much to lose and too little to gain for him by picking that fight. I think he’s content to let the, ahem, “bitter-clingers” keep their guns and rods and reels if they leave him alone to siphon off their income to the state. Comforting.

The Wash Times speculates that suspicions about The One’s agenda are also behind the uptick in sales to women, but I think it has at least as much to do with economic anxiety. Higher unemployment = a more desperate population = more thieves (or worse) lurking in the shadows, which in turn means a greater need to pack heat for protection. At least, that’s my theory and I’m sticking to it. Click the image to watch.

gun

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Look for a return of ‘Annie Get Your Gun’. Doin’ what come nat’trly-blowing away Obama voters who attack you as you come home late from work.

MaiDee on March 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Well, I’m going to take the CCP class this summer and I think I’m gonna get myself a handgun. For personal protection of course, but I’ve never been this worried about the bottom falling out of the economy. If we’re headed down the same road as Argentina and Greece and Iceland, I want to be armed.

NoLeftTurn on March 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

What rubs me wrong is when someone tries to get me to explain why I have several different firearms. A explain this way: I tell them that a few years ago my wife and I had four cars and a motorcycle and our children were just toddlers. I tell people that no one ever asked me to justify having five vehicles, and I will not try to make them feel good by answering their stupid questions.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

UltimateBob on March 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM

And he was going to speak on social justice…yea…

jerrytbg on March 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Y’all ladies gettin’ a little excess fat on yer arms?
This video shows how to get rid of some.

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:19 PM

UltimateBob on March 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM

There ya go, Bob. I’m not partial to victimhood myself.

disa on March 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM

How is it that I can picture you with a Beantown Terrier just by your screen name? :P

Lanceman on March 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM

It’s a long story. I’ve been minding him for a friend. Who now lives elsewhere.The Strangler will probably pee on my grave. Little sucker is a dead ringer for Edward G. Robinson.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

An easy explanation for multiple guns is by analogy to a set of golf clubs. Each club has the function of hitting balls, but are used in different situations.

Another reason for increased gun ownership is that many states are easing ownership/carry rules. Even another is that the NRA is doing a good job of getting the message out about guns and reduced crime.

GnuBreed on March 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Little sucker is a dead ringer for Edward G. Robinson.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM

And Obama is a dead-ringer for Alfred E.Neuman.

Wasn’t Robinson’s last move ‘Soylent Green’?

Lanceman on March 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I had the most awesome Taurus 38. Small frame, fit my small hands, easy to clean. My ex stole it when I threw his ass out. My new (and wonderful) hubby and I are going to Reno next weekend to purchase three guns.

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Why my marriage has stayed so strong: my husband and I each have our own gun safes.

Ozwitch on March 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM

About the only thing you can rely on the cops for is to come and draw a chalk line around your body when it’s all over.

The rest is up to you.

UltimateBob on March 30, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Just talked to a Broward Co deputy last week. Told him I don’t have a gun anymore due to vision issues. His reply “Get a shotgun”.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:26 PM

My husbees got me a puppy as a get well present when I had surgery. She’s a little, fluffy furball that doesn’t bark or shed. I don’t think she’d be much help in an emergency, LOL.

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Wasn’t Robinson’s last move ‘Soylent Green’?

Lanceman on March 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

God, I hope not!

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

And he was going to speak on social justice…yea…

jerrytbg on March 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Social justice = redistribution of wealth. Other people’s wealth.

UltimateBob on March 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Not unless she grows up to be a Standard Poodle. See Rottie/Lab comment.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM

GnuBreed, Tennessee allows us permit holders to also have a rifle or shotgun in our vehicles (not necessarily in the trunk) as long as no round is chambered.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM

A couple of yipee dogs will cover up the sound of you cocking your Mossberg Cruiser.

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I’m rather happy with Springfield, Bushmaster, and Stoeger… :D

bikermailman on March 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM

This is a thread about guns, not gardening. Sheesh…

darclon on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Not unless she grows up to be a Standard Poodle. See Rottie/Lab comment.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Naaaaaa, she’s a Lhasa Apso. I think what you see is what you get. She’s a great dog, though. Very smart and excellent company. And she really doesn’t shed!

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

LMAO! Excellent!

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:39 PM

UltimateBob on March 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM
That too…my point was that he should be in jail…

jerrytbg on March 30, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Did Allah actually take my and Hornets thread suggestion?

Interesting.

I am not allah!

upinak on March 30, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I suspect we have/had the same little revolver. Mine’s in stainless and it’s my daily companion never more than a foot from me morning, noon, or night. Reliable as the day is long…..good thing about wheel-guns.

Never attempted for a semi CCP since I know I’ll never carry anything but it or another revolver as my carry gun….

JoeinTX on March 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Speed911, No, I actually want the perp the hear my shotgun as a shell is racked into the chamber, louder is better. My Springfield 1911 A1 has a real satisfying sound when the slide is released and slams a round into the chamber, but the CZ model 82 I bought recently just goes clack.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

This is one woman who grew up around guns. My Dad was a hunter and is still a gun owner. He is 82 and remembers when his younger brother took his shotgun to school!! and propped it in the corner so he could hunt squirrels on the way home. (This was in West Virginia and a one room schoolhouse) My ex was a hunter too and a cop. Of course when we separated he took all the guns. I admit after the Obamination I decided to get a gun of my own and get my CHL. Personal protection and all. Got a S&W 38 special. Now I got a fee-vah for a 9 MM and a 380. I’m also a proud NRA member.
Yeah, I got a Fee-Vah!!!

atxcowgirl on March 30, 2010 at 10:49 PM

speed911 on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

They are EXCELLENT dogs! She’ll protect you. They happen to be very gutsy.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Pelayo, here in Mississippi the doctrine is that your vehicle is an extension of your house. Thus, you can carry weapons loaded and concealed/not concealed.

Note that I am not a lawyer and that you should verify these facts for yourself before attempting this!

GnuBreed on March 30, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Women + guns = boehner.

blatantblue on March 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Major HEH!!!

Funny thing is, I grew up in the BigWyo…had guns on a rack in my bedroom from before I started school. Married a gal from Chicago, never even seen a gun…scared to death of them and I think that’s one of the major problems with the anti gun freaks.

We haven’t been back to Wyoming since we got married and I keep telling her when we do go back, we’re gonna go shoot some guns. She just freaks out about it.

She just loves BattleField 2, Left 4 Dead, etc. though…loves blowing the hell out of things on the compewter…

Gonna be interesting.

BigWyo on March 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Oh no,honey. That’s the sound I WANT heard.

katy the mean old lady on March 30, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Ever hear the slide being released on a Desert Eagle?
Try one at your local gun shop.
Vewy awesome.

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Atxcowgirl, in the eight grade during the WWII part of American History, four of us boys brought as much of our fathers’ military stuff as we could carry. I brought two Japanese rifles, a Type 99 and a Type 38. No one expressed any concern whatsoever, but that was 1960. Times have changed – for the worse.

I guess at today’s prices we had between $5000 and $10,000 worth of stuff. Check out the price of a complete WWII US Army helmet or a German SS knife or a Samurai sword.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

And, I forgot, to the original intent of the thread………every women should consider the idea of arming herself. There are a lot freaks, ne’er-do-wells, rapists, and, no good thieves in this world who are scared of nothing short of being wounded/killed. Cops? Not a worry for them. Getting capped on the spot with all the pain and consequences by the victim they are stalking? That’s another story. The scum amongst us always look for the perceived weak and/or unable to resist as their primary targets…………..

JoeinTX on March 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

but the CZ model 82 I bought recently just goes clack.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I’m quite happy with my CZ-82, old world quality in a modern firearm – very reasonably priced.

Rebar on March 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

but the CZ model 82 I bought recently just goes clack.

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I guess when you boil it all down…if it goes “BOOM”..and what ever you were pointing it at goes ‘OUCH..FUC$!!’ or just drops to the ground…

Mission Accomplished!! W00t!!

BigWyo on March 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I was just a regular NRA member since Obama became Prez. I am now a LIFE Member!

Yakko77 on March 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Allahpundit sez:

I say: Are you frakkin’ kidding me??? This guy gives middle America the finger every chance he gets. With his words and actions, he makes sure there can be no mistaking that every political battle he wages is against Middle America.

The man is gallivanting around the country talking about his “victory” on health care and his takeover of the education funding industry. “Victories” imply that someone is losing, and when he utters the word, he knows damn well who his enemy is, and he’s making damn sure we know it too.

I am sick to death of people giving this megalomaniac the benefit of the doubt, asserting that somehow his actions are motivated by concerns as mundane as typical politics, when his every action screams that he is as ideologically bent as any malevolent ruler the world has ever known.

IronDioPriest on March 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Remember people:

Those who beat their arms into plowshares end up plowing for those who don’t.

Yoop on March 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

There has been a major uptick in the number of home invasions in my neck of the woods so the Hubby and I have several “deterrents”! Anyone coming up to my house will first be met by my 70lbs black Chow Chow, if they make it past him I always have my Springfield XDM 40 locked and loaded when I’m home by myself. We also have 2 Remington 870 tactial’s (one upstairs, one in the basement) this is in addition to several deer slug shotguns and other portable home “protection” items always at the “ready”!

Our daughter works at a high end pub/restaurant and I took her out and bought her a little hand held stun gun and some pepper spray (the same stuff that the local PD uses!). She can’t carry in her place of business but I figured anything is better than nothing when walking across a dark parking lot at 1am! She wanted to try it out on her boyfriend but he wouldn’t participate! Wimp! lol!

Buckeyekid on March 31, 2010 at 12:50 AM

A few years back, as a Christmas present, bought SWMBO a Lady Smith. The “small dragon” has weak claws. But enough to put a JHP in the chamber. Nice to know I will have someone to come home to. Although I better knock. Gives another chance to say I love you.

Caststeel on March 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM

AP:
“I have to say, though, I’ve never thought gun-grabbing was a big part of The One’s agenda.”

Bonhomme on March 31, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Women are buying more guns because of Sarah Palin. The effect was immediate after Sarah’s arrival, women started taking lessons, buying guns and all. Even one of the networks did a show on it. I am surprised not many here have picked the connection.

promachus on March 31, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I agree, crime will eventually increase thanks to Obama’s policies.

Women are the most likely victims of crime that will surely follow.

Ironically young unmarried women are in large part responsible for Obama’s win.

scotash on March 31, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Wish my Libtard wife would catch this fever…I’ll need someone to watch my six when (if) those who were promised all that free Obambi stuff are disappointed and the local Wal-Mart and Publix are cleaned out and come around looking for free Dr. ZhivBlago stuff.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 31, 2010 at 4:55 AM

disa on March 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Luckily the mortgage is nearly paid off here after getting in before the Clinton-era hiring boom and the insane amount of building that went on. The growth was high in Loudoun and its been the fastest growing county in the US for something like 13 of the last 15 years, with Las Vegas beating it out a couple of times. The building boom was unsustainable even with half the federal workforce retiring and being replaced between 2000-2010, there was just no way Loudoun could grow at that rate and have such a high commercial property vacancy rate at the same time. That never computed.

Still the Silver Eagle folks got a decent range up in Ashburn and I was hoping we would get something a bit more local in the way of a gunshop as Leesburg is a bit of a hike and Manassas turns into the daytrip experience for the good shops there.

ajacksonian on March 31, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I don’t know about anyone else’s reasons for a sudden interest in guns, but perfecting my aim and target practice gives me a sense of satisfaction…and it’s fun.

Nalea on March 31, 2010 at 6:17 AM

ajacksonian on March 31, 2010 at 5:50 AM

I was directed to Ashburn by a friend, don’t know if this is the same place:

disa on March 31, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Pelayo on March 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM

You can never have too many cars,guns or electronics. ( Used to be women but with guns in the house it’s ELECTRONICS since I got married.)

faol on March 31, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I am one of those women who got the gun fevah fairly recently. Grew up around them – my dad was a collector. But never really embraced the whole ideology. Went anti-gun for a while. Then 9/11 happened and my politics changed…so slowly too did my ideologies.

The husband and I got our CCP in April of last year and now have 7 guns in the house – 3 of them are mine.

We keep a shotgun in the bedroom closet and when the husband travels I keep a loaded Beretta 92FS Inox 9mm in my nightstand.

We are also taking a Utah Permit class this weekend, which will ultimately give us reciprocal CCP rights in about 29 other states.

Boo-ya.

KrisinNE on March 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM

He won;t confiscate guns outright. He’ll just tax them out the reach of most people. That’s why people went out and bought guns…fears of massive taxes.

And he won’t do it in a 1000% tax on “guns”. He’ll do it with 100 separate 10% taxes on gun manufacturing, transporting, registering, bullets, ranges etc.

And when the average shmoe goes out to the local gun store and sees a $11,000 price tag on a shotgun, he’ll not buy it.

angryed on March 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I was just at the range with my girlfriend last night. When I met her she was skittish around guns, but not a full blown anti. I soon convinced her to come to the range with me. From her first shot she had a smile from ear to ear and was hanging her silhouette targets on the refrigerator. Since then she’s probably fired about 400 rounds through my Stoeger 9mm and jumps at the chance to go to the range. She’s gone from a former Obama-voter-”why do you need a gun” type, to a conservative gun lover in just under a year.

Devrbd on March 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Obama’s a leftard and leftards don’t like guns (generally). I guess most folks figure it’s coming. Once people start looking into the sport they find out that firearms aren’t just for personal protection and hunting, it’s a great family sport.

Cowboy action shooting is growing steadily and simply taking the wife and boys to the range for the afternoon is a blast. It’s a comparatively safe sport too. Know the four rules and die of something else, somewhere else.

pugwriter on March 31, 2010 at 8:33 AM

angryed on March 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM

That is precisely what has happened to us here in Kalifornia. Even my FFL 03 is virtually useless out here now. I hate this friggin state!

pugwriter on March 31, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I’m happy to see the ladies getting familiar with their guns; They need to practice loading and firing so that they can be effective when the case arises.
Absolutely nothing else can work better than practice with your firearm.
Cleaning is just as important. A dirty gun can jam and misfire, or explode in your hand.
A sidearm is like a trusty dog; Take care of it and it will take care of you.
I shall end my sermon now; God bless; Please place your offerings in the collection basket.

Cybergeezer on March 31, 2010 at 8:42 AM

AP:

Bonhomme on March 31, 2010

And when it becomes clear that it is a part of Mr. Hanky’s agenda, what will the douche say then?

SKYFOX on March 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Whatever the reason, I’m always happy to see more women not only arming themselves, but educating themselves.

As the saying goes, God did not make all men equal. John Moses Browning did.

Cowboy action, IDPA, and other organizations are wonderful organizations that bring entertainment, while honing the skills that may one day save your life.

Mrs. DuToit once wrote an essay on what brought her into the “gun culture” that everyone should read. Unfortunately I can’t find a link to it atm. The gist was that she was at home one night and heard unusual noises at the house, and realized that not only was her husband away, but that she knew nothing about using the firearms in the house. That feeling of insecurity drove her to learn the fundamentals and completely changed her outlook.

I don’t do the tale justice, being far less eloquent than she. I will post the link if I can find it. Very thought provoking.

NavyspyII on March 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Once women get past the pop culture “guns are bad” they start to understand that being armed is the ultimate insurance of their equality.

Pound for pound a male of our species will be physically tougher, 10,000 generations of pre-industrial living guarantee this. Now, consider the size advantage that the average male has over the average female.

Guess what, that doesn’t mean sh!t once someone has learned to run a gun and use it as a defensive weapon. A 300# thug will die a bit harder than a 150# one will, but 4-5 COM and then a few hits to the noggin and neither one of them will attempt to rape another woman. No other defensive approach guarantees that. Pepper spray, tasers, kabutons, etc only educate the thug.

The great part is that once women get past their baggage, most are MUCH better defensive shooting students than American males. Women listen, ask useful questions, and are accepting of feedback. The American male, convinced that he is a master of fighting, f#(king, and driving, will not listen, ask for clarification, and gets pissy when given feedback. As an instructor, you have to embarrass the hell out of most male shooters to get them to get their heads on straight. You get to skip this step with women, and go directly to the instructions.

Fun little sidenote: When one of we “bitter clingers” hears that a guy’s SO went shooting with him or bought herself some gear, you get the same response from 95%+ of us “Cool! How’d she do?”

Nathan_OH on March 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Cybergeezer on March 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Love my .50AE Desert Eagle :)

Wolftech on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Love to see woment willing to protect themselves and thier families.

As a reference for HA readers, I suggest checking out:

While primarily a site discussing open carrying of firearms, I have found it to be a great site concerning the varying firearms laws in each state. The senior members there are very knowledgeable about laws in their States.

So, if you are thinking about owning a gun for the first time, do your research on the laws in your area, then get comfortable with your tool by practicing.

Stay safe.

riverrat10k on March 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Buckeyekid on March 31, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I traded in my Remington for the Mossberg 500 SPX tactical. Its got a smoother action than the 870 IMO.

Wolftech on March 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Great news for American women, now are they sufficiently liberated enough to surrender a few spaces of gossip, fashion and celebrity magazine space for Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Personal Defence and Handgun magazines at the grocery check-out lines?

fourdeucer on March 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Is that anything like a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose? Use to have one…Nasty looking shotgun, 8 shot mag if I recall correctly, all black, and one of the few shotguns I know that had a bayonet lug…Really wish I hadn’t sold it. But I’m pretty happy with my Bushmaster Car-15 clone and WASR-10…

As far as women and guns goes, my brother and I try to get as many women involved in shooting as we can…One time we took several of his female friends to the range and a cute young lady of Vietnamese descent was basically petrifed of shooting a pistol. We started her out slow with a fun .22 target pistol (no kick at all, and very little flash or noise), moved her up to my Glock 19 9mm, and then up to my brother’s Kimber .45. She had a great time, and was a surprisingly good shot, even with the .45. Good times…

And yes, it’s hot when women are into guns… I think Sarah Palin and Kari from Mythbusters are already yummy, but the fact that they both shoot kicks their ‘hawtness” up to another level…

Battlecruiser-operational on March 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM

In the name of Homeland Security, I think we need a new law:
ObamaGunCare.

1) The OGC will require everyone over the age of 18 to have an approved Gun and ammunition.
2) The NRA will determine what is approved.
3) ObamaCare will require everyone submit to a psych exam to determine competence. (Crazy, etc)
4) Anyone may declare themselves as incompentent.
5) Anyone not financially able will recieve OGC tax credits to buy a gun.
6) The IRS will verify OGC compliance every month.

Just like ObamaCare.
I think I am already in compliance.

barnone on March 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Wolftech on March 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Eagles do command attention, don’t they?
For 45 lovers, there’s an Eagle 1911 coming out.

Cybergeezer on March 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM