A Word to the Weary

posted at 8:40 am on March 27, 2010 by Doctor Zero

I get a lot of email from people who ask if the final degeneration from capitalism to collectivism is now inevitable. Entitlements are never repealed, after all, and we just got saddled with a back-breaking entitlement, piled atop a national debt that was already crushing us. It seems like it would take a miracle just to undo the damage Barack Obama has done in a single year… and that would just get us back to where George Bush left us. Dependency, unemployment, economic contraction, and socialist politics are a perpetual-motion engine of national decline.

I also hear from people who wonder just how bad things really are. If they’re so awful, we should be thinking about unthinkable alternatives. If not, maybe we should follow David Frum’s advice, and work out reasonable terms of surrender with our new socialist overlords. After all, Obama’s not the first guy to wipe his feet with the tattered “Don’t Tread on Me” flag. Perhaps none of the wounds from 2009 and 2010 are all that deep, and we’re just a few elections away from Bush-era prosperity again.

Thoughts about the future shape our actions in the present. If you believe the events of the past week have permanently and irrevocably deformed the American economy and culture, your feelings are likely to consist of anger, or despair.

I can understand why some are tired of fighting the good fight. Robin Koerner at The Moderate Voice reacts to the Obama Administration’s plan to offer incentives if mortgage holders will forgive part of the principle on overvalued homes:

A few months ago, the principal on my mortgage was comfortably more than the place was worth, and my low income was in decline. So I did the responsible thing, cut my expenses back to the bone, and raised and moved whatever money I could to cover it, and to try to pay it down. I wanted to deal with the fact that I was upside down on the mortgage and dangerously exposed to future rate increases; most of all, I wanted simply to reduce my monthly payments.

Why did I bother?

If I had not been so responsible, Obama’s plan (I still cannot quite believe it) would have given me (via my bank) YOUR money, humble tax-payer, as a gift to reduce my mortgage, and I would have gained to the tune of many thousands of dollars.

Those who play by the rules find themselves dealing with a lot of these sucker punches lately. It’s the nature of a politicized economy. Health care will work the same way. If you’re not part of a favored constituency, the government will milk you for the money it needs to buy the votes it requires.

When you object that such behavior is wildly inconsistent with the Constitution, you’re quickly assured that, on the contrary, these outrages are legally unassailable. Decades of court precedents, often laid down by activist judges, have become a weird quantum formula that somehow proves the Constitution was actually designed to guarantee a titanic redistributionist State with virtually unlimited powers. The ruling class can even spend weeks openly discussing the idea of passing laws without voting on them, when it’s not sure it has the votes to do what it wants.

My own vision of the future includes peril, but not doom. We’re in a bad place right now, but we can turn things around. We can do better than pacing slowly backward through the wreckage of Obama’s term, until our feet begin crunching on the empty pill bottles of George Bush’s unsustainable prescription-drug entitlement.

When I look to the past, I see a central government that has never been able to keep the promises of its welfare programs, or respect the limits of its budget projections. Even among those who accept the premise that health care is some kind of “human right,” I find it astonishing that anyone could ignore history to the degree necessary to believe politicians can provide it. It’s even more amazing that anyone could watch those politicians blindly stumble across various legislative land mines – less than a week after passing the bill – and convince themselves these people have any idea what they just signed. Only someone with religious faith in the State could look upon the rotting heap of fraudulent budgeting, deception, and last-minute deals that spawned this monstrosity, and believe it will have a happy ending in which its promises are kept.

The future holds the final, systemic crash of the New Deal and Great Society. How far away is it? It’s hard to recalibrate the doomsday clocks fast enough to keep up with our current tidal wave of deficit spending. I think we have about fifteen years, after factoring in the poisonous effects of desperate measures taken to hold off disaster, like the Value Added Tax. I can imagine many world events that would accelerate that timetable considerably.

Social Security is running deficits now. Its collapse is a matter of actuarial fact, not opinion. The Congressional Budget Office just released a report that says the national debt will reach 90% of our gross domestic product by 2020… and the CBO usually under-estimates the effects of economic slowdown on federal tax revenue. Two years ago, the CBO thought Social Security would not be in the red until 2019. Five years ago, Barack Obama’s party confidently assured us the program would remain solvent for decades. These people have always been wrong. They just compounded their errors with trillions of deficit spending from a bill none of them read.

So, yes, the situation is serious. You can’t wait fourteen years to deal with a meltdown that’s fifteen years away. Even if the system was not due to implode into a black hole of unfunded liability, the offenses against freedom required to create and sustain it would still be wrong. Those offenses did not begin with the current President. They began long before I was born. That doesn’t make them any more excusable. We should not accept decades of error as an insurmountable obstacle to doing better.

The task awaiting us at the ballot box is difficult, but not impossible. Laws have no magical, talismanic power – if they did, we wouldn’t need law enforcement. We can change laws. We can dissolve any body that tells us otherwise. No one can hold us down in our national deathbed. We are instructed to worship the political traditions of the 1940s, 60s, and 70s, when vast and eternal departments of limitless appetite and wretched inefficiency were constructed. Our birthright as Americans includes a far older, stronger tradition from 1776, which teaches us that only our liberty is eternal.

There’s no reason a country with vast natural resources, tended by a bold and innovative people, should suffer double-digit unemployment and capital flight. A compassionate nation, whose daily industry has done more for the downtrodden than every utopian scheme combined, has no reason to lower its head in shame, and tolerate the extraction of “charity” at gunpoint. The veterans of bloody wars against lawless tyranny should not accept a system that makes fools of the industrious. A great people, who live in reverence of equality, require no lists of class and racial enemies from opportunistic politicians.

This is the hour for passion and reason, not anger and disgust. The strength to restore our prosperity lies in the muscle and imagination of citizens who have been programmed to think of themselves as sheep, by those who seek power as their shepherds. The time for averting a painful disaster is short… but the most amazing chapters of American history were written in the last seconds before midnight.

It’s time for us to be amazing again. I hope you find that as invigorating as I do.

Cross-posted at www.doczero.org.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thanks for the upbeat and optimistic post.

OmahaConservative on March 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Note to Ed & Allah:
Pics of more hot chicks like this instead of Nazi & Aunt Bea Slaughter, please.

OmahaConservative on March 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Unfortunately socialism marches on

A $1.25-billion settlement between black farmers and the Agriculture Department is at risk of unraveling after Congress adjourned for a two-week break without approving the spending.

The settlement, to which the Obama administration agreed last month, has been hailed as the final chapter in a decades-long struggle by African-Americans who say they faced discrimination from local USDA offices in trying to get loans or other aid.

William Amos on March 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Christie 2012.

artist on March 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Bravo!

gator70 on March 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Thanks for this. I’ve had my moments of despair lately, and I’m certainly angrier than I’ve ever been, but I refuse to give in to defeatism. We face enormous challenges, and meeting them is going to require courage and sacrifice, but I know we can do it.

Yes, and it’s becoming increasingly clear that we’re going to need a Constitutional Convention to put things right again. For decades the SCOTUS has interpreted the Commerce Clause in ludicrous ways that have so distorted its original meaning that it’s now used to validate virtually any power the federal government chooses to claim for itself. That must be corrected, and prevented from happening again, if we’re to have any hope of restoring sanity.

AZCoyote on March 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Perhaps all this was necessary to make the American people finally sit up and take notice.

I take some comfort in watching Governor Christie in New Jersey. His citizens seem to agree with him that their government had to be reined in. They seem immune to the media’s standard approach of covering every cut from the “victim” side. They have apparently figured out that taxpayers are the bigger victims.

Maybe it was going to take someone as bad as Obama to shake people up enough to start fighting back. We’ll know more in November. (Fingers crossed!)

jeanneb on March 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Survival of tough times starts with you, and I write my thoughts about that in a multi-part series I’ve been cobbling together. But it starts with you, and you must walk with prudence the best helpmate mankind has ever had.

ajacksonian on March 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM

In the defense of our liberties one must never tire. Perhaps a little Churchill might help: “… we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; …”. Keep a stiff upper lip and drive on.

rplat on March 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Another stemwinder, Doc. The rhetoric is positively Reaganesque. Thank you for a good start to the weekend.

Pavel on March 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

william amos: one of the bigwigs in the black farmer association is from Southside Virginia. the reason that the black farmers never got their money as they rightfully claim, is that they never filed the paperwork on time. the paperwork is a bunch of BS, as you can imagine, but they never did anything with it.

then they screamed foul when the farm subsidies/pay outs/whatever went out & they didn’t get any.

but I guess this is the fault of anyone other than themselves.

kelley in virginia on March 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Christy-Ryan 2012-2020.

Ryan-_________? 2020-2028.

REPEAL AND REPLACE. REPEAL AND REPLACE. REPEAL AND REPLACE.

13Girl on March 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Doctor Zero: Just when I think you can’t get any better….well, there you go again (Reaganesque, indeed). You, sir, are the Thomas Paine of our time. Thank you for your amazing talent and the courage to share it with us at HA. I will continue to pass your writing along – we need your voice and many others who inspire us to carry on. Thank you!!

4Freedom on March 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Yes, we should be positive but should also be prepared for some very dirty work in the months ahead as we fight for survival. I’m not saying There Will Be Blood but let’s not kid ourselves with rosy scenarios. Things will get very ugly and we will have to call upon reserves of faith and strength. The enemy is playing for keeps. So must we.

Wusses never win. [And there are no wusses here.]

RandyChandler on March 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM

“I have not yet begun to fight!”-John Paul Jones

We have to keep up the momentum. I am sure the tea party movement gains new members everyday as more people realize what is happening. The disease known as liberalism must be stamped out. This is for the children—of today and tomorrow. Even Saul Alinsky acknowledges the power of the conservative movement.

VaGal on March 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Thank you, Doctor Zero, that was just what I needed after this past week. Persuasion and passion. Gonna work on that as we get ready for April 15.

msactionjackson on March 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Two thoughts here….

1. As far as the outstanding debts America has (Soc Sec/etc)?

If you have DEBT you are a SLAVE to your DEBTMASTER.
For thousands of years this has meant actual tangible slavery and all the consequences that go along with it. Only in the last not quite 200 years has that changed. Before now it hasn’t really mattered but we’ve never had an obviously anti-citizen govt before. Now?………ANYTHING is possible!!

2. The people need (oddly enough) HOPE and CHANGE and that is why Conservatives are happy that finally people like WONKY Paul Ryan and Palin are EFFECTIVELY communicating a message of individual liberty and freedom. I just hope that we have free elections in November to keep that hope alive.

PappyD61 on March 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

HUA

publiuspen on March 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM

My head is gonna blow off if they extend any more free money to people who aren’t working and have already been collecting for ages. Those of us who qualify for exactly zero days of unemployment compensation and pay higher taxes than employees when we do work. And now my state wants to put 4% sales tax on all of my business.

forest on March 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM

REPEAL AND REPLACE. REPEAL AND REPLACE. REPEAL AND REPLACE.

13Girl on March 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Huckabee was on Hannity last night and I am pretty sure I heard him advocate just fixing “what we don’t like and keeping what we do like” in the bill. The Republicans need to hear the message loud and clear that we do not want to fix this—we must repeal it!!!

VaGal on March 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

forest on March 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM

0bamaBuck$

OmahaConservative on March 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Whose tired?

rob verdi on March 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Buck up lil camper….all is not lost…. the true American character is the reflection of that spirit that is ingrained in our determine to confront what may appear impossible to most. To take the Beaches at Normandy;to walk on the moon to touch the stars. Do you really think that these children that have usurped the seats once occupied by great patriots are any match for that. The point is not far off where all will understand that the only sane response their insane actions is to remove them from power and simply point and laugh… point and laugh

pointing & roflmao

donabernathy on March 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

“Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

Niere on March 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Thank you for this. John Stossel recently paraphrased Winston Churchill with respect to our current situation taking his words at the start of the Battle of Britain and stating “this could be the American Voter’s finest hour”. Obamacare could be the fuel that not only brings down itself but the failed “War on Poverty” and that ponzi scheme known as Social Security.

I also enjoy the fact that Tea Party gatherings are filled with references to our colonial past and founding of the country. I wish I had appreciated what all these people did when I learned about them in elementary school so long ago. Young people are dumb — old people know that because they were young once!

-Mike

TXRFan on March 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM

“It’s time to be amazing”. Damn, I love that quote!!

Throughout this whole ordeal I’ve never felt down or disappointed. I look at the races in Virginia, New Jersey and Mass. Euphoria! If only for a few days. But boy, what a feeling! These are the baby steps!

We have time to gather, discuss, act, debate, convince through dialogue, blog, etc.. Attend a Tea Party this April. Volunteer for your candidate. If you don’t have one, run yourself.

The future looks good!

NYconservative on March 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM

jeanneb on March 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I wish I had a little bit of your optimism. It’s difficult to forget the breakdown of common sense in Nov. 2008. Plus the MSM remains effective at propping up the jug eared jerk.

MoodyBlu on March 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Regretably, if the Republicans tell the truth, the Democrats will lie and say the facts are not the facts. The Democrats know we have problems, they really do. The problem is their solutions are not the solutions the American people want. If they talk about their solutions versus the Republican solutions, they’ll lose election after election.

We all know that adding a health care entitlement, on top of the coming explosion of debt, will sink the ship. Look at the costs of medical care for the Unions and State and Local governments. It is those entities whose budgets are going to bust and the unions refuse to give up their “cadillac” plans. The Democrats solution: nationalize health care so everyone has the same poor plan and the unions will have to go along. That’s why the union part of this was delayed, so Obama could win a second term because, once they figure out what’s going on, they’re unlikely to support Obama for President.

bflat879 on March 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I believe that health care was simply another big red flag on the way to the elections in November. The major theme of the Tea Party is to halt the overreach of the Federal government. I don’t think anyone in the movement is ready to surrender.

JimK on March 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM

jeanneb on March 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM

An unfortunate but true pattern in American (world?) history. But the mission is now clear:

11/02/10

11/06/12

Vote out ANYONE not working to shrink this monster.
Make em pledge. Brace up. Volunteer. Donate. Keep the faith.

2ipa on March 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Pavel on March 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I was thinking more Paine, also. Excellent stuff, John.

I thinking that our inspiration and wisdom is all right there in the words of the founders – from the DOI to Common Sense.

They went through what we are up against now.

turfmann on March 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM

MoodyBlu on March 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

The MSM has no place in this. Counter them, so many others do. Comment on newspaper sites that you don’t agree with. You can change one mind. It happens. How do you think people get involved in politics? They read something that makes that lightbulb go off in their head. Be the one who makes that possible.

NYconservative on March 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Note to Ed & Allah:
Pics of more hot chicks like this instead of Nazi & Aunt Bea Slaughter, please.

OmahaConservative on March 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Yeah, maybe there could be a “Legs” thread daily, ala Red Eye. Of course the chicks would then scream for a beefcake thread, so I’ll send some of those pics of me in my Speedo. (sorry for anyone that was eating breakfast)

TugboatPhil on March 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

We just had a meeting of our Tea Party; I felt it would answer the burning question and it did:
Do we roll over or fight on?

michaelo on March 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Absolutely superb.

“The time for averting a painful disaster is short… but the most amazing chapters of American history were written in the last seconds before midnight.”

That line just about gives me chills (I’ll stop short of the whole “thrill up the leg”-thing.)

Dopenstrange on March 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM

The Dems are in a losing battle for one simple reason: They are now fighting a two-front war. First, are the crumbling entitlements. While the ultimate solution may be bipartisan, the blame falls squarely on a century of misguided Democratic leadership. The triumvirate of entitlement collapse is FDR, LBJ, and BHO. The healthcare debacle cements the Democratic irresponsible mismanagement of power.

The other front in the war is with the American people. As a result of the healthcare debacle, the people are ready to clean house, and this mostly means getting rid of anyone with a “D” next to their name on the ballot.

No amount of spin, media smears, or outright lies will stop the inexorable closing in of these two fronts. If the Dems continue to blame Bush and the Republicans for our woes, we now have Pelosi and Obama as the ready response. If the dems try to stifle dissent, this will only empower dissent.

The Dems think that the solution to all this is more propaganda and lies. It won’t work. Not anymore.

Remember in November.

EMD on March 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM

A Word to the Weary

Wow Doc.

I mean, I’ve always been a fan of yours, but to have an article WRITTEN JUST FOR ME.

*sniff* I love you too man! *manhug*

And in all seriousness, that was another great article. You are right. We need to look ahead with pride and hope in America. We WILL roll back this monstrosity, or it will rapidly collapse of it’s own weight.

It is entirely possible that we may have to go through a Randian Collapse before we can rebuild. Just make sure you have stocks of food and weapons to see you through the crisis alive. If possible, make plans to move to a more rural area where you can grow some of your own food.

Hopefully that will not be necessary, and we can recapture the govt. back this fall, Defund all the programs and then repeal them. But if not, the night will be short. A system of Socialism cannot stand.

wearyman on March 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Another uplifting Must Read, Dr. Zero

This highlights very nature of a how a Statist government diminishes freedom:

It Takes from a minority of people who won’t vote for the Statists anyways,

And it gives to a majority in exchange for their vote.

Both groups lose either by constantly living under the threat of more taken from them, or being dependent on this largess.

It is unsustainable

Chainsaw56 on March 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Remember in November.

EMD on March 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM

That would make an excellent battle cry.

Say it again: REMEMBER in NOVEMBER!

RandyChandler on March 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

A country of over-fed, spoiled urbanites that hates to see a tilled field, an oil well or gold mine; who thinks “the country” is where they go to ride mountain bikes or see “nature”. Well, that country does suffer.

The bad news is most Americans don’t have the balls or interest to earn back their freedom. The good news is that was true even in 1776. Only 1/3 of the colonists wanted to found a new nation. I think we’ve still got that 1/3 out there. I think the best hope is for the states to challenge the Federal tyranny and demand a return to true Republic. The governors need to face down the violations of the 10th Amendment by courts and Federal politicians.

Neither party can be trusted to downsize entitlements and Federal authority. A new party, a Constitution Party, focused on the founding principles of the American Republic needs to rise from the states. A Constitutional Convention should be convened if this movement succeeds in gaining a majority. Any ambiguity regarding the 18 enumerated powers of the Federal government must be clarified starting with the REMOVAL of “…and promote the general welfare…” from the Preamble.

rcl on March 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Can you imagine this: Duringt the phase of the impeachment trial, the Senate uses the very same Slaughter ruleto deem Obama guilty?

Oh, the irony.

larvcom on March 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

William Amos on March 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM

As a small farmer a can tell you that there IS discrimination at the USDA. But it may not be the kind you think. The vast majority of government help, subsidies, programs, etc are for non-white males.

“Whitey don’t apply.”

BierManVA on March 27, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Oh, the irony.

larvcom on March 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000

13Girl on March 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Two outcomes

1) the collapse occurs, we rebuild. we build things differently
2) we act now, and constantly, and we can turn it around before the collapse.

either way, things will change.

blatantblue on March 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Great piece!

A line hit me

You can’t wait fourteen years to deal with a meltdown that’s fifteen years away.

Wasn’t it two years ago when people were screaming not to drill in ANWR because it would be 10 years before we would start seeing the benefits. Guess what, it has already been two years and no one has done a thing otherwise. We would be eight years (but I think less) away from seeing the benefits of drilling here at home. Gas prices are skyrocketing again, yet the media no longer splashes this across their pages as a national headline.

Yes, it’s time for us to be very strong and do amazing things. Not only do we have to defeat those who want to continue down the path of this uncontrollable spending spree, we have to get our voice heard over the media who is enabling the current government nightmare we are up against.

However, we have been awakened, and people are coming together. Be prepared to be amazed!

behiker on March 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I oppose the notion of a Constitutional Convention more than I do the use of force to effect change. Clinton floated that trial balloon, and I can imagine the things liberals would love to put into it.

Instead, we need to return to the idea of Original Intent, strongly enforced for once. We can add Amendments, or remove them as needed. Congress needs to exercise its power to rein in the Courts, which have simply gone too far for too long.

If we can stop our decline, we’re going to have to do the work to keep our regained Country. We can’t let any political party become weak again, where we devolve into semi-socialism done in increments. I’d like seeing a third party of major influence, but that might give the Dems an upper hand. We instead need to strengthen the Pubs so they represent us again like under Reagan. Not a litmus test, mind you, but a party so adhering to Original Intent no one who thinks less will want to be there. Such people can go to the Democrats, where they’ll be happier.

Long as we have a free vote to shape our government, we have hope for change.

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Oh Doc,

What the pc “progressive crap” has done to hold back the people is becoming obvious even to the poor but willing to work hard Americans. Obama is being seen as the head of the ugly progressive snake attempting to steal the eggs of liberty. The barnyard needs a cleaning and it’s about to get it.

Doc you are the BEST.

tim c on March 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

disa on March 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM

That’s where you go wrong. There is no averting the pain. Whatever happens now some large segment of the population is going to feel pain. It’s unavoidable at this point. What is at stake is whether we survive as a nation or not. That is where the choices lie.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for this. I need it more than you can possibly imagine.

Monica on March 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

There is a first time for everything, sir.

Caiwyn on March 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Long as we have a free vote to shape our government, we have hope for change.

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

And as long as I have ammunition, I have a vote. And so do you.

BobMbx on March 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Doc, we all know the country is capable of doing the things you say need to be done.

The problem is that entitlements destroy any collective will to do them.

commodore on March 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I figure that somewhere between 20 and 35% of the people want to take it easy and be provided for. That’s got to end.

disa on March 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Doc, if you’re not writing speeches for Sarah Palin, you need to be.

Kafir on March 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM

disa on March 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

The problem is we have offshored the jobs that would be required if we just ended entitlements. If I were king and had the power to declare all entitlement programs finished what would we do with these people? What we have to do while we still have a bit of time left is an orderly climb down from the entitlement ledge, but you know that won’t happen. One day the check just won’t come, or there won’t be a bank able to cash it, and that will be how entitlements end. The question is can we survive that day.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, Doc Zero for reminding us that we can accomplish amazing things. I never thought that this season of my life would be bringing this kind of drama and activism. However, here it is and it is time to answer the call. I will not stand by and watch this happen to my country, friends and relatives. It is time to be amazing again.

BetseyRoss on March 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM

MoodyBlu on March 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

The foundations have been shattered. We need to build from the bottom up. The media has to be exposed as total frauds. I think we do that by filing libel charges for stuff like Carnahan’s “somebody left a casket on my lawn”, and issue public challenges like Breitbart did regarding “they called us bad names and spit on us”.

I think we have to take apart every lie and expose it before the whole world so that people like my Secretary of State will never again be able to say, “The media would never let a politician get away with lying about their eligibility.”

This post also brings out the reality that law means nothing if there is not law enforcement. Absolutely. I was up until 1am with my 13-year-old son 2 nights ago because he had seen a headline about the Mexico drug wars. We have a lot of illegal immigrants here and this is scary stuff to him – especially since he knows his mom has tried getting law enforcement at every level to deal with documented instances of crimes committed by Obama and his hacks, and NOBODY in law enforcement will do a darn thing.

To re-build that foundation we have to expose law enforcement as having been totally politicized and ineffective. That means we’re going to have to give up the self-conscious fear of being labeled “conspiracy theorists”. If a conspiracy has been documented already, why fear to speak of it? Let the facts be the facts.

And we need to stop marginalizing the people who recognize that lawlessness is a national security threat. If it is politically incorrect or a “distraction” to protect this nation from lawlessness then let’s defund law enforcement, national security, and our entire military. Is that what the conservatives who “tee-hee” Obama’s forgery and perjury are suggesting we do?

I am a soldier for the rule of law every bit as much as our soldiers out in the field, and though it takes a different kind of courage to do what I do, it takes courage. The same people who give our soldiers the respect they deserve don’t hesitate to mock people like me for fighting the EXACT SAME BATTLE that our soldiers fight. As long as the Glenn Becks and Bill O’Reillys of the world engage in friendly fire, law enforcement will remain politicized.

The rule of law is a foundation that no civilization can live without.

The lawlessness we all watched openly flaunted before the nation in this healthcare reform enactment was only able to happen because law enforcement at every level chose to ignore criminal behavior that put Obama into office. We have become Mexico. It’s no wonder my son has nightmares.

More on all this at http://www.butterdezillion.wordpress.com – especially if you click the link at the end of the post.

justincase on March 27, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Don’t think we will inflate our way out of this mess either. All entitlements are tied to cost of living increases, so inflation isn’t a viable option. If you hear of legislation that restricts cost of living increases or drastically changes the indexes for calculating those increases then you know it’s time to buy gold, but until then don’t think about inflation.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I don’t agree, Doc. If the socialist system was to collapse as you say, that would not usher in a new capitalist prosperity. If our system was to collapse, and it will, if the social security checks start to bounce, the anarchy resulting from that would usher in more police powers and a stronger statist government.

As people become scared, they gravitate towards security. And security is what socialists sell. As things get worse, they look to government to save them.

keep the change on March 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Lest I forget- excellent again, Doc!

Stumbled on this while searching for the appropriate bumper sticker. Problem statement and solution in one post!

And a bumper sticker.

2ipa on March 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM

We can beat this folks. I was talking to a friend of mine who reminded me that this country has been through worse. Did you know that the highest tax rates in the past have been as high as 90%? Most for the somewhat wealthy were over 50%. We have had socialists to beat back, like Wilson, before. Socialism only works until the $ runs out and in our case, that seems to be happening even before full blown socialism is instituted. This can be done and will be done. This is the time to not give up the fight. This country has been through 2 great depressions (not just the one we learn most of in school, but one just prior to that) and we pulled out. I for one, have gotten fresh wind in my sails and am ready!

immigrantchick on March 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Through my despair I am raise by everyone’s ebullience. I think a time of change is coming and I think it is fate. Thanks for all the high spirits.

E9RET on March 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Good job Doc, gonna use this quote when I link to this piece.

conservnut on March 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Oh, the irony. larvcom on March 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I have a suggestion for the gavel that should be used, too.

turfmann on March 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Related parody: President Obama Answers Third Grader’s Letter (click image to enlarge) http://optoons.blogspot.com/2010/03/president-obama-answers-third-graders.html

Mervis Winter on March 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Let’s not leave November to chance. We need to make a concerted effort to return the GOP to its conservative roots, one precinct at a time. We’ve seen the good tea party rallies and town hall protests do to inspire conservatives… let’s really do something about it:
The national socialist democrat progressives have a 100-year jump on us, but they don’t have the resolve we do.

connectthedots on March 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Nope. Round the clock commercials will be run of kids who will now starve to death in Baltimore, tapping into the good ol’ sense of American guilt. Guilt has been used for generations to defuse resentment and capitalize on stupidity. It also trumps popular anger. It will continue to do so. The left knows this, depends on it. The right as a whole has yet to realize it.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM

That will be a strategy that is used, and some will fall for it and some won’t. Look for things to start to decentralize. The classic handles of power will begin to be ineffective.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM

BTW, henceforth, I will refer to those with a (D) after their name as National Socialist Democrats.

connectthedots on March 27, 2010 at 10:41 AM

George W Bush did many things wrong but as it turns out Medicare Prescription Drug Part D was not one of them
If you read the report from the National Bureau of Economic Research you learn that Part D has had a ” salutary” effect on medicare. For every $1.00 spent in Part D there is a savings of $2.06 in Medicare.
The NBER has several reports on the effects of Part D and all of them seem to be positive

so please stop saying Part D is adding to our deficit and correct those who continue to say so.

RWGinger on March 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM

As we go forward, there is another tactic we should make good use of: RIDICULE.

Conservative humour beats the libs any day because, as Rush said, good humor is based on truth. We have truth on our side.

YouTube, photoshops, witty commentary, cartoons….all should be used to LAUGH AT THEM. Make Obama into the haughty, too-cool, know-it-all, thin skinned premadonna we know he is.

No racial overtones. No Nazi s**t. It’s not necessary. Just show them for what they are: a bunch of puffed up buffoons congratulating themselves for being generous with somebody else’s money!

jeanneb on March 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

The Rise of the Federal Empire

The have fired the Debt Star at us. Ever wonder what the Rebels in the Star Wars movies felt like? Now you know.

J in STL on March 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM

jeanneb on March 27, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Good idea! The Dems’ responses will give ups more ammo, like a few months ago when some college professor said that mockingly calling Obow “Professor” is racist.

We can have a lot of fun with those guys!

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

What an aptly titled piece!

“The Lord has given me a well-trained tongue (in Dr. Zero’s case, a keyboard) that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them…”

We are weary, but you have roused us.

Thank you, Doc.

sabu on March 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

We may be able to undo some of the welfare legislation but a more pernament solution requires an abandonment of the nonsensical ‘common good’ philosophy that has permeated our society for the last 100 years or so. That philosophy is what drives all the good intention (e.g. let’s do it for the children) legislation that has put such a burden on our industry and in fact on all of us. Unless we get back to our roots of individual freedoms and responsibilities, all our efforts will be in vain.

docdave on March 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM

You assume (perhaps) that the Left – seeing the final crash coming – won’t take their TRUE one last step of establishing a nakedly, unapologetically authoritarian government, “for the safety of the people and the preservation of the nation” or some such BS.

Obamacare was never their end goal. Dictatorship is. Fighting Obamacare – which we must do – actually plays according to their scenaraio; it will “force” them to do what they planned to do all along: crush all dissent. Literally.

THAT, I’m convinced, is their plan. O-care was the biggest hurdle, and they just cleared it.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

The left can legislate themselves king’s of the universe, but without the guns it’s empty. They do not have the military, and currently I don’t think they have the police, even though they are much farther along with the police. I’m not worried about a power grab at this time, and won’t be unless I see some changes, like the establishment of a civil defense force that Obama mentioned in his campaign.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Social Security is running deficits now.

Again the benevolent all-knowing government put the money paid into Social Security into the General Fund (Thanks LBJ) to be spent BUT guaranteed by the U.S. Government (that is rapidly becoming unable to keep that promise). What could go wrong with this latest entitlement that makes Social Security look like chump change?

Herb on March 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Thank you Dr. Zero. Positive words needed to keep us thinking about the dangerous the path the Demoncrates are taking us down. You, also encapsulated in a mere 1,200 words – far less than the 2,013 pages the new improved Ill Health Care Plan is taking U.S.,

MSGTAS on March 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Good luck reprogramming the 20% (at least) of the American public that thinks gov’t exists to give them things. Due to O-care, that percentage will now increase frighteningly.

Not being sarcastic; I do agree with you. I’m just an objectively pessimistic student of basic human nature.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Human nature is fluid though, and we quickly adapt to new environments. This does cut both ways though, look how we have adapted to the welfare state. We can speculate about what will and will not happen, but it’s all conjecture. What’s concrete is that a new “normal” is coming.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I’m annoyed with some of the people I know who seemingly have given up. I realize we’re all tired and discouraged at times, that’s only human, but to hear the resignation from some angers me. Give up and go live in a cave or move to another country if you like but stop saying that to me because I don’t want to hear it.

I have two very good reasons to continue the fight: my son and my future grandchildren. They’re worth it. So are yours.

Great post Doc.

beachgirlusa on March 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM

splink on March 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM

And, the next step, the one they’ve taken without any hesitation, is advertising that the dissenting people are violent. The media are fully helping them, including Fox.

It seems that even some on Fox are falling into the violent-label crap. Everybody’s falling over themselves to claim that “we” don’t condone violence, as if they’re admitting the accusations are all true. It pisses me off!

13Girl on March 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

… like the establishment of a civil defense force that Obama mentioned in his campaign.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Someone on another thread last night linked to a video of just such a thing. The boys were ‘pledging’ to Obama to become architects, doctors–what have you. Their ‘salute’ is their fists pressed together in front of their chests, elbows raised.

It’s quite scary to see.

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

donabernathy

A+ That’s the spirit!

beachgirlusa on March 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Do you think some sort of a deal could be struck between the statists and China? One that would be a win-win for both? Think about it; the reasons both would do it should be obvious.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I don’t look for that to happen either. Do you think the Euro weenies are going to go all rambo on us when they haven’t anywhere else in the world? The China scenario is interesting, but Obama’s relations with China have not been warm, however that could be a ruse, but at the moment I’m not putting much stock in that scenario.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Here it is…

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM

+1000

katy on March 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

15 years? Doc, your an optimist!

GarandFan on March 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Here it is…

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I’ve seen the video and it’s disturbing, but the triggers for armed takeover, and there won’t be any other kind, aren’t there yet. They haven’t taken guns, won over most of the military, or established an alternate military. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but currently the means to the end don’t exist. Repel the triggers and you won’t have to worry about an armed takeover.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Consider – seriously consider – what both sides would gain if it happened.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I do suspect that China is looking for an armed conflict somewhere. It could be a way to deflect attention from their upcoming economic woes, and also a good way to shed all those unwanted young males for whom they don’t have a female, but there are juicier targets closer to home. Look north to a resource rich and scarcely populated Russia, or a strong young rival to the south India.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM