A Word to the Weary

posted at 8:40 am on March 27, 2010 by Doctor Zero

I get a lot of email from people who ask if the final degeneration from capitalism to collectivism is now inevitable. Entitlements are never repealed, after all, and we just got saddled with a back-breaking entitlement, piled atop a national debt that was already crushing us. It seems like it would take a miracle just to undo the damage Barack Obama has done in a single year… and that would just get us back to where George Bush left us. Dependency, unemployment, economic contraction, and socialist politics are a perpetual-motion engine of national decline.

I also hear from people who wonder just how bad things really are. If they’re so awful, we should be thinking about unthinkable alternatives. If not, maybe we should follow David Frum’s advice, and work out reasonable terms of surrender with our new socialist overlords. After all, Obama’s not the first guy to wipe his feet with the tattered “Don’t Tread on Me” flag. Perhaps none of the wounds from 2009 and 2010 are all that deep, and we’re just a few elections away from Bush-era prosperity again.

Thoughts about the future shape our actions in the present. If you believe the events of the past week have permanently and irrevocably deformed the American economy and culture, your feelings are likely to consist of anger, or despair.

I can understand why some are tired of fighting the good fight. Robin Koerner at The Moderate Voice reacts to the Obama Administration’s plan to offer incentives if mortgage holders will forgive part of the principle on overvalued homes:

A few months ago, the principal on my mortgage was comfortably more than the place was worth, and my low income was in decline. So I did the responsible thing, cut my expenses back to the bone, and raised and moved whatever money I could to cover it, and to try to pay it down. I wanted to deal with the fact that I was upside down on the mortgage and dangerously exposed to future rate increases; most of all, I wanted simply to reduce my monthly payments.

Why did I bother?

If I had not been so responsible, Obama’s plan (I still cannot quite believe it) would have given me (via my bank) YOUR money, humble tax-payer, as a gift to reduce my mortgage, and I would have gained to the tune of many thousands of dollars.

Those who play by the rules find themselves dealing with a lot of these sucker punches lately. It’s the nature of a politicized economy. Health care will work the same way. If you’re not part of a favored constituency, the government will milk you for the money it needs to buy the votes it requires.

When you object that such behavior is wildly inconsistent with the Constitution, you’re quickly assured that, on the contrary, these outrages are legally unassailable. Decades of court precedents, often laid down by activist judges, have become a weird quantum formula that somehow proves the Constitution was actually designed to guarantee a titanic redistributionist State with virtually unlimited powers. The ruling class can even spend weeks openly discussing the idea of passing laws without voting on them, when it’s not sure it has the votes to do what it wants.

My own vision of the future includes peril, but not doom. We’re in a bad place right now, but we can turn things around. We can do better than pacing slowly backward through the wreckage of Obama’s term, until our feet begin crunching on the empty pill bottles of George Bush’s unsustainable prescription-drug entitlement.

When I look to the past, I see a central government that has never been able to keep the promises of its welfare programs, or respect the limits of its budget projections. Even among those who accept the premise that health care is some kind of “human right,” I find it astonishing that anyone could ignore history to the degree necessary to believe politicians can provide it. It’s even more amazing that anyone could watch those politicians blindly stumble across various legislative land mines – less than a week after passing the bill – and convince themselves these people have any idea what they just signed. Only someone with religious faith in the State could look upon the rotting heap of fraudulent budgeting, deception, and last-minute deals that spawned this monstrosity, and believe it will have a happy ending in which its promises are kept.

The future holds the final, systemic crash of the New Deal and Great Society. How far away is it? It’s hard to recalibrate the doomsday clocks fast enough to keep up with our current tidal wave of deficit spending. I think we have about fifteen years, after factoring in the poisonous effects of desperate measures taken to hold off disaster, like the Value Added Tax. I can imagine many world events that would accelerate that timetable considerably.

Social Security is running deficits now. Its collapse is a matter of actuarial fact, not opinion. The Congressional Budget Office just released a report that says the national debt will reach 90% of our gross domestic product by 2020… and the CBO usually under-estimates the effects of economic slowdown on federal tax revenue. Two years ago, the CBO thought Social Security would not be in the red until 2019. Five years ago, Barack Obama’s party confidently assured us the program would remain solvent for decades. These people have always been wrong. They just compounded their errors with trillions of deficit spending from a bill none of them read.

So, yes, the situation is serious. You can’t wait fourteen years to deal with a meltdown that’s fifteen years away. Even if the system was not due to implode into a black hole of unfunded liability, the offenses against freedom required to create and sustain it would still be wrong. Those offenses did not begin with the current President. They began long before I was born. That doesn’t make them any more excusable. We should not accept decades of error as an insurmountable obstacle to doing better.

The task awaiting us at the ballot box is difficult, but not impossible. Laws have no magical, talismanic power – if they did, we wouldn’t need law enforcement. We can change laws. We can dissolve any body that tells us otherwise. No one can hold us down in our national deathbed. We are instructed to worship the political traditions of the 1940s, 60s, and 70s, when vast and eternal departments of limitless appetite and wretched inefficiency were constructed. Our birthright as Americans includes a far older, stronger tradition from 1776, which teaches us that only our liberty is eternal.

There’s no reason a country with vast natural resources, tended by a bold and innovative people, should suffer double-digit unemployment and capital flight. A compassionate nation, whose daily industry has done more for the downtrodden than every utopian scheme combined, has no reason to lower its head in shame, and tolerate the extraction of “charity” at gunpoint. The veterans of bloody wars against lawless tyranny should not accept a system that makes fools of the industrious. A great people, who live in reverence of equality, require no lists of class and racial enemies from opportunistic politicians.

This is the hour for passion and reason, not anger and disgust. The strength to restore our prosperity lies in the muscle and imagination of citizens who have been programmed to think of themselves as sheep, by those who seek power as their shepherds. The time for averting a painful disaster is short… but the most amazing chapters of American history were written in the last seconds before midnight.

It’s time for us to be amazing again. I hope you find that as invigorating as I do.

Cross-posted at www.doczero.org.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m just an objectively pessimistic optimistic student of basic human nature.

splink

Fixed it for ya :)

beachgirlusa on March 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I’m totally opposed to the use of force at this point; I still think we have full Constitutional recourse. We can do as Gandhi did even if the Dems retain enough political power after November. We can stage sit-ins and so many other things that’ll get noticed and maybe change more minds to our way of political thinking.

We still have plenty of cause for hope. There’s a line from a song by Chicago (how apt?) that goes “The good things in life take a long time.”

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Great post and I totally agree. It is up to us, don’t falter. We can do this.

P.S. Can you give AP a good talking to? lol

kagai on March 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Round the curve
Likkety split
Beautiful country
Wasn’t it?

O-Burma Shave

Dhuka on March 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM

True, not yet. But we better believe they’ve considered it as a contingency.

splink on March 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM

As a contingency it shouldn’t be ignored, but it should occupy the amount of space that it deserves at the moment, which isn’t all that much. We should continue in our political efforts and oppose those methods that might lead to one of those scenarios. Anyway, I’ve got to make a run to the hardware store, so you guys have a good day.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Some were thinking Obamacare would be Obama’s Waterloo. I’ve never agreed with that, it definitely looks like his Stalingrad. The Germans kicked down the door and while trying to mop up and the Russians slaughtered them. Obama’s done the same thing. Ironically it’s going to be winter (Nov 2010) that is going to get him.
-Mike

TXRFan on March 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Here it is…

Liam on March 27, 20

10 at 11:23 AM
I’ve seen the video and it’s disturbing, but the triggers for armed takeover, and there won’t be any other kind, aren’t there yet. They haven’t taken guns, won over most of the military, or established an alternate military. I’m not saying it won’t happen, but currently the means to the end don’t exist. Repel the triggers and you won’t have to worry about an armed takeover.

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

It’s called Stepping! Go to a black college sometime, geesh. It has nothing to do with an army! Its a uniformed and disciplined style and that;s why they wear the boots (for the sound) and pants. And OMG Black boys affirming themselves to be assets to society instead of thugs and parasites. Everyone hide. I’m sure that kinda of talk has you running scurr-ed! Oh noooes a black boy inspired by Obama to be a entrepreneur, runz! Oh nooes they are doing a Step as part of it! They are coming to get you! It’s like Hitler Youth. Oh wait but Obama isn’t Hilter, is isn’t going to put millions of people in ovens and can be voted out of office in two more years.

Now if you want to nip this in the bud, maybe you need to go take those guns your so in love with and get them now before it gets out of control! Do it for your grandchildren!

Magnus on March 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Congress needs to exercise its power to rein in the Courts, which have simply gone too far for too long.

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

That’s not going to happen. It’s the SCOTUS that has allowed the federal government to morph into the power-grabbing monstrosity that it currently is, principally through horrible misinterpretations of the Commerce Clause. (Without getting into all the case law, basically SCOTUS has ruled in a series of cases that the federal government has the power to enact legislation for anything that even remotely affects interstate commerce — and since anything and everything arguably has some tangential effect on interstate commerce, SCOTUS has essentially given the federal government unlimited power).

Obama has three more years in office, and will have the opportunity to fill at least one (Stevens), and possibly (God forbid) several more vacancies on the SCOTUS. We all know what kind of justices he will nominate. Congress is not going to limit its own power, and the SCOTUS is not going to do it either. That’s why we need a Constitutional Convention. We The People need to rein in the federal government.

AZCoyote on March 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I was born concurrently with FDR’s first inauguration. I have enjoyed the administrations of very few Presidents during my life. Many brought me despair. Somehow the country has survived. Some Presidents, of course, were more poisonous than others. During my first few years, I of course wasn’t concerned with politics. I did notice a few homeless beggars, but I had no understanding that this was unusual. Long before FDR’s death I paid attention to the conversations of adults and was aware the President’s policies were both radical and had caused a large depredation in the nation’s well being.

The four worst Presidents during my life have been Roosevelt, Johnson, Carter and Obama. Many younger people compare Obama with Carter and assume they have been the worst. That is not my opinion. The two worst rode roughshod over the Constitution. They were/are FDR and Obama. Both have had the philosophy of “do something”. Both have been idolized with a religious fervor.

I assume many commenters on HotAir would not agree that FDR was among our worst Presidents. Consider the words of Henry Morgenthau Roosevelt’s confident and secretary of treasury as well as a principal formulator and implementer of the New Deal, “We are spending more than we have spent before and it does not work…. We have never made good on our promises.” He said this after seven years of the New Deal when the unemployment rate was 20.7.

Obama has had many mentors. They include the Chicago machine, Alinskey, Wright etc. The most far reaching mentor was Roosevelt.

burt on March 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Wow again Doc, and thanks for the positive message. I hope you don’t mind, but I am using a couple quotes from this piece, just too good not to share.

JusDreamin on March 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

This in large part is motivating me for this upcoming election. Tis vote wont just be a vote for a few hot button issues like abortion or gun control or immigration but for the very well being and survival and preservation of our constitution which is literally under assault like never before. We can win this fight, we have to.

Yakko77 on March 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Liam on March 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Yep.

The SCOTUS does not live in a vacuum. I know justice is supposedly “blind”, but I hope and pray that those judges will act to snatch liberty from the jaws of tyranny and rule the individual mandate unconstitutional–a mandate no American should be forced to comply with.

Here we are a week after this affront to the American way, and I feel the iron settling in people’s souls. The anger simmers just below the surface, no longer hot but leaden, heavy and unshakeable. The DNC banked on us becoming fat and complacent between now and November. I think they misjudged us horribly, and it will be their undoing for several generations.

Great article, Doctor Zero.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The Day of Reckoning will come…and sooner than we think. Prepare.

SurferDoc on March 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Really fine writing amid really good thinking.

Well done, sir.

JDPerren on March 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Entitlements are never repealed, after all…

Umm, that’s not exactly true. And it doesn’t help much when some on our side are perpetuating the myths.

Bush signs Medicare repeal

Clinton signs historic welfare reform:

I don’t care how small our victories have been. A victory is a victory. History did not end last Sunday. Unless the world really does come to an end one day, history will continue to be made every day from here on out.

Why is that such a hard concept for some people?

People who go around repeating “It can’t be done” are just aiding the opposition. Yes, remaining optimistic in the face of overwhelming odds is an easy mark for comedy and fools. But making definitive statements like “It’s never been done before so it’ll never be done ever” will get you nowhere ever.

JellyToast on March 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM

13Girl on March 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

This is why we have to have competition even in the conservative media. We can’t put all our eggs in Fox’s basket because Fox can be corrupted just as easily as any other network. This is why Breitbart’s role could be pivotal. Fox needs to know that if they start BSing us they will go the same way as the dinosaur media. Ideally there would also be somebody to compete against Breitbart if Fox would fall; I’ve often wondered if Rush Limbaugh has considered establishing a news company for this reason.

justincase on March 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

We eventually went to the moon because somewhere someone thought is was possible when everyone else thought it insane.

We need people who are working and thinking about how to bring America back to a free nation. We need people who can creatively write, plan and commit, strategize and support others who are doing all that to restoring our Republic. We don’t need people who will settle for getting used to socialism. We don’t need people who are comfortable with Marxism. We need people who will not settle for anything but a free America.

JellyToast on March 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

the strength to restore our prosperity lies in the muscle and imagination of citizens who have been programmed to think of themselves as sheep, by those who seek power as their shepherds

While I am resolved to give my last drop of blood and last penny of wealth to restore liberty in this land I am concerned that the programing has gone too far. How do you change a sheep into a panther?

chemman on March 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I feel bad that the charities I normally support would be getting much money from me this year. I will spend what I normally give on fighting the good fight. Righteous anger indeed!

Sam Adams on March 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

would
won’t

Sheesh – preview is your friend!

Sam Adams on March 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

DFCtomm on March 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

They’ll never try taking us over with brute force. What they’ll do is round up the people who might have the courage to fight, before a fight can develop. That’s what Napolitano’s lists labeling small-government folks, pro-life, etc as domestic terrorists was all about. We don’t have to BE terrorists; we only have to be able to be FRAMED as terrorists. That’s why Obama’s lawyers telling the Chrysler lawyers it would be a shame if they were audited was effective. As long as they have the power to lie within the law enforcement system they can get rid of anybody they want to.

That’s why – again – I say we HAVE to take the breach of law enforcement seriously. And though it’s the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about, we’ve had law enforcment people who have been punished simply because they DARED to try to do (for instance) a background search on Obama. Can’t remember the details but somebody in Texas I think who responded to public requests by trying to initiate an investigation into Obama ended up being punished for “racial discrimination”.

had the most blatant case of voter intimidation thrown out when the case was already won because Obama doesn’t want blacks investigated.

We had reports that the FBI was told to drop their investigations of Black Muslim converts. Shortly after that a Black Muslim convert shot 2 military recruiters in Arkansas. That convinced Nidal Hassan that violence was the way to go – Nidal Hassan, who escaped all scrutiny because he was “minority”.

We had Abdulmutallab who wasn’t taken seriously when the Brits reported him to us because Obama had told everybody to not do anything “insensitive” which would make Muslims think we have our eyes particularly on them.

We have a serious law enforcement problem in this country. And just like with the Chrysler lawyers – the mafia tactic works because you only need a few visible examples in order to gain control of a society, by scaring them with the possibilities.

I asked my sister to send in a request for publicly-available index data from the Hawaii DOH. They require it to be done via snail-mail and I didn’t want to use my address because they know I’m onto them and they have been documented as lying to people they know don’t approve of Obama. My sister wouldn’t help me. She had just had her Facebook account hacked and didn’t want to borrow any other trouble.

My husband and I just had a serious discussion this morning about what happens to our kids when Obana’s people come to get me – maybe accuse me of feeding my kids too many carbs or something, or maybe they can find something in the taxes. Lots of people would say that’s crazy talk but just the knowledge that Obama’s folks have the motive and the means to do this kind of thing is enough that he would like me to give up the fight. He is not eager to have me sign any affidavits regarding what I know because he knows it could put us all in danger.

That’s how the mafia works.

I told him that anybody around here would know that any charges against me were trumped-up because they know me. But the media and dems are working to set neighbor against neighbor. We have no idea who among us is a red-blooded, justice-loving American and who has drunk Obama’s kool-aid.

I think their mechanisms have to do with law enforcement and their ability to lie with impunity. I think that is the next battle in this war.

justincase on March 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

This is all too philosophical for Tuco. Tuco is a man of action, not talk. I say let’s just put the overload bastardos up on a stool with a rope around their necks and then shot the legs off the stool. Adios!

Tuco on March 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Good article

alloyiv on March 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

It is natural for our side to be temporarily depressed after the gut punch that was Obamacare. The normal cycle applies: some want to negotiate the terms of surrender; some want to pick apart what coulda been and some want to channel the anger into say, less, constructive actions.

After a couple of weeks, things will look better. First of all, all of the ridiculous charges that the Obamacare opponents are just a bunch of ignorant racists will ebb away, in the total absence of any evidence to support this outrageous assertion. Second, the poll numbers (similar to the bump after the SOTUS) will trend back down as the thinking and productive members of society will not like what they learn about Obamacare. Example – who knew that it would incentivize companies not to support their retirees for drug coverage? What about the nightmare effect on state budgets, where the deficit has already approaching $400b at the STATE level?

Finally, we will all be energized by the prospect of the fall election, which really and truly cannot come fast enough.

Here are some things to worry about before the election. Will war break out in the Middle East, partially due to our appeasement of Iran and our public humiliation of Israel? Will a group of “bipartisan” Senators pace amnesty? Will we pace a bloated and inept energy bill?

Pray pray for the country. Seriously.

johnboy on March 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Just what I needed to read. I’m thankful for forums like this to know that I am not alone in my thinking. Kindred spirits unite!!

Boomer Sooner on March 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Very well written, Doc. Thanks for the encouragement.

sockpuppetpolitic on March 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I think we should challenge the communist West Wing to a hockey game in Lake Placid.

percysunshine on March 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM

We are all talking about ‘voting the bums out!’ However, what are we planning to do to overcome the election fraud, intimidation, etc., that is surely on the way? We need to plan and find a way to stop all that. ACORN is simply reorganizing under new names, but they will continue to do what they do.

Let’s give some practical thought to ensuring the November elections are honest. It we can’t have honest elections, we really are doomed.

How does one become a poll watcher, for example? What exactly do they do?

Let’s have a discussion on this.

francesca on March 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Great article. I would just say, that judging by the looks of the crowd in Searchlight, Nevada today, Harry Reid’s home town, these people do not look weary. Fight the good fight.

labwriter on March 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM

How does one become a poll watcher, for example? What exactly do they do?

Let’s have a discussion on this.

francesca on March 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I was a pole watcher in LA in an overwhelmingly Democratic precinct. I did not live there. All of the election staff were Democrats. The female head of the election staff talked to a prospective voter who volunteered that he had formerly lived in the precinct but had not lived in the precinct for more time than the law required to reregister in his new precinct in order vote. She told him if he had voted in the election two years earlier, he could vote. I spoke up and told him what the law was. She then stopped everything in the room and told me very publicly that I was not allowed to intimidate voters and she would have the police hall me away if I spoke again. I think she could have done that in that place. If not her bluff worked.

I don’t think you will have any trouble volunteering especially in a corrupt precinct like that one. Ask any person who is involved with another party where to apply.

burt on March 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Spot on, Doc!

The future holds the final, systemic crash of the New Deal and Great Society.

There is no escaping this and the day of reckoning will certainly be closer so long as Democrats ladle out goodies paid for by whomever is still gainfully employed.

This is the hour for passion and reason, not anger and disgust.

We must work the first two modes of action — they are our particular strengths; our opponents have a lock on the latter two modes, which are their Achilles heel.

ya2daup on March 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

JellyToast on March 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Here’s the deal folks: real and substantial fiscal pain is coming. Doc thinks it’s fifteen years out; I think within a decade, tops. It is incumbent upon us to point out these facts and to put forward plans which will not be able to avoid the pain completely, but will mitigate it to whatever extent is possible given how far into the hole the Democrats intend to take us. And it is willfully intentional, as we all know.

ya2daup on March 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM

burt on March 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM

As an occasional pollwatcher myself, I think it would have been better to leave the poll and call the campaign staff of the Republican candidate to report the incident. Candidates usually have legal staff ready on election day to immediately challenge nonsense like this: they know how to get it stopped.

But pollwatchers are not supposed to speak to voters: anything they say could be interpreted as illegal ‘electioneering’ within the polls…and could cause both them and their candidate or party a lot of trouble.

Pollwatchers are usually representing a party or candidate in order to assure that everything is done correctly. In our area, both parties strive to have pollwatchers from each party at each poll…especially those where a significant contest is expected. To get to be a pollwatcher here, all you do is contact your favorite candidate’s staff, volunteer, and attend a training session. The candidate’s staff takes care of securing the credentials which allow you access to the polling place.

landlines on March 27, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I would be wondering who is sending the emails. Everyone I know are just ticked off not weary and not defeatist.

Who said “I Have Only Begun To Fight” this ain’t over not by a long shot…and when we push them back maybe we would like to put something in place to keep this from coming to pass again at least for Awhile. Something that would check all the Politicians, Democrats and Republicans alike. No more Deal Making That sells us all out.

Dr Evil on March 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM

landlines on March 27, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I did do as you suggest. It did no good. Any legal help they had was either overloaded or taking a nap.

Dr Evil on March 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM

How old is everyone you know? Some of us have been fighting this for six or seven decades. Some of us are weary.

burt on March 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Great article, Doc!

Two days ago, my co-workers asked me what they can do now before the mid-term election. These are people who are not comfortable calling/writing congress (they don’t listen anyway!) or working on a campaign. I tell them to shut off the network channels – it makes no sense to feed ABC/NBC/CBS just to have them regurgitate democrat talking points! I tell them to go on HotAir, Michelle Malkin, Newsbusters, Big Goverment, Drudge, ect., several times daily, because the more ‘views’ these sites get, the better.

I also tell people to show up at every Conservative candidate’s event and DONATE whatever they can – every dollar counts! Most importantly, people have to vote in every election; local, state, and national!

STAND UP!!

TN Mom on March 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM

All fluff, no stuff.

Lots of ‘rah rah’ but no real substantive idea how to go about it.

You can’t fight the reality of the numbers.

We’re sunk unless everything turns around completely, 180 degrees, in the next 12 months.

fossten on March 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Request jury trials. No way I’m going to find a fellow patriot guilty when I’m sitting on the jury. Government by the people.

Metanis on March 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Very inspiring piece, Doc.

Cylor on March 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM

So then, we’re relying on a few generations of pampered and ignorant public school products to first learn what civic duty and self-reliance are and to then push back against the welfare state? This is the clay from which we’re going to mold a new future? Or will it be from the hyphenated-Americans who so desperately seek to fill the personal and spiritual void of their lives that they must clutch at the remnants of their mythologized heritage…instead of embracing fully their new land?

I could almost share your optimism if I were convinced that even 1 in 100 Americans were interested enough in current affairs to re-read their Constitution for the first time since the 8th grade. If even one in 100,000 Americans had any idea how the Federal Reserve and Congress has raped and pillaged their future for nearly 100 years. If 99 out of 100 Americans were not finanical functional illiterates.

What happens after we throw the bums out in 2010 and 2012? What happens when some politician tells America the truth? That we already spent all that we borrowed and more, and that we are going to have to live within our means–at a small fraction of our current standard of living for a couple of generations? As real as that is, it doesn’t sound like a winning political formula to me.

It seems to me that socialism will continue to look like a far superior path–especially to the 50+ percent of Americans that already pay no taxes and live off the rest of us. American ideals are certainly not dead, but they are the staples of a minority of the current populace. The corporatist perversion of capitalism that is deeply rooted in this country cares not about left, right, or center. It is a parasite that can adapt famously to any political environment.

Either a cleansing conflagration is coming, or a slow decline and dissolution into irrelevance. The cure does not lie in incrementalism. That is the disease.

PD Quig on March 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM

fossten on March 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM

That’s the point. It’s up to us to make it happen.

Yakko77 on March 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Great article! If this was “promoted” from the green room, then I can think of several HA pieces that should have been “demoted” in the past. Thank you Doctor Zero and thank you for allowing your piece to appear on HA.

Promoted ….(snicker, giggle)