Claire McCaskill: Hey, maybe we “overpromised” on ObamaCare

posted at 6:51 pm on March 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Tens of thousands fewer medical bankruptcies, hundreds of thousands of lives saved, billions of dollars in wasteful medical spending cut. A new golden age of American health care. That’s what we were promised — and it’s still coming, according to McCaskill (I think). It’s just not going to happen as fast as the Democrats have been suggesting. This is the very first wiggle in the endless goalpost-moving that will characterize our new bouncing baby boondoggle in the decades to come, so enjoy it. As for her claim that the GOP is running around screaming that the sky is falling, well, yes: “The sky is falling” means that we’re now en route to single-payer health care, with a detour to a public option that’ll be passed once enough insurance companies have gone bust because they can’t cope financially with O-Care. Each step is a new threshold of crowding out private industry on the way to full-blown socialized medicine; if the left thought they could get away with it politically right now, they’d have done it already — as they’ve admitted many, many times. So yes indeed, the sky has begun to fall. If McCaskill disagrees, she’s welcome to follow that last link and ask Barney Frank and Rahm Emanuel and Jan Schakowsky etc etc whether I’m right.

Meanwhile, Jon Kyl says not to fret, that the GOP has the stomach to repeal this thing if given the numbers to do so. I’m skeptical, only because that’s not what history suggests about entitlements. Once they’re here, they’re here to stay. Which is to say, the sky is falling. Fast.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bupid Stitch!!!

ladyingray on March 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Filly Stunt!

Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I have the Kaiser Family Foundation Timeline and I saw no particular red flag for that period of time . . . can you be more specific?

rplat on March 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM

It came to me in the form of a .pdf and I am unable to copy and paste it. To summarize:

If you buy:

Vitamins
Adult incontinence products
Women’s products
Any OTC remedies, including vitamins, minerals, diet drugs, tampons, rubbers, aspirin, glucosamine, cold remedies or anything else sold over the counter.

Buy them before 7/1/10.

After 7/1/10 there will be a 40% tax imposed. And, no HSA will be honored after 7/1/10.

Key West Reader on March 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Unfortunately, Claire McCaskill is my senator. Hopefully, only until 2012. She is an embarrassment, she’s not even a good lap dog for Obama. I could have told her the bill was not good, I probably read more of it than she did.

Don’t you just love about the large companies like ATT having to post huge costs just in the first quarter for next year?

manateespirit on March 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Key West Reader on March 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Thanks . . .the hits just keep coming.

rplat on March 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

If you have an HSA with a balance, you’d better cash in on it and purchase what you need before 7/1/10.

Key West Reader on March 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Read Igor Panarin (easily “Google-able”). I laughed when I first saw his prediction. Now I don’t.

Mason on March 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

“Once they’re here, they’re here to stay. Which is to say”

Why do people keep saying that when all the taxes start now and the entitlements they are supposed to pay for don’t start until 2014?

jawkneemusic on March 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

manateespirit on March 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

The saddest part of this equation is the fact that this is a direct assault on our Seniors. Many of whom fought and died for the freedoms that we cling to. S.O.S.

Save Our Seniors.

My brother in law was a heart surgeon until last week. I can’t tell you how many family dinners he couldn’t attend because of emergencies. He spent his life saving lives. He could keep saving lives, but he won’t. He took Medicare, Medicaid and was always on call in South Florida Hospitals. He retired today.

thanks, Obama.

Key West Reader on March 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

“It’s going to be an incremental approach…”
Isn’t that what the Republicans were advocating, and what Obunghole was saying was the absolute wrong way to go? It had to be done all in one shot because, if it were done incrementally, the planet would explode , or something…?

Dopenstrange on March 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Must do my mea culpa.
A week or so ago, there was a thread (before Obamacare passed), and it seemed like each and every comment when I logged in was, “I hate those @#$%^^$ ing #*&^^%4ers!

I got a really bad taste in my mouth, thinking that we were becoming no better than the Kos kids. And I commented on it, and had a boatload of cyberfruit, veggies and a dead cat or two thrown at me.
Then, the fit really started to hit the shan, and Ed and Allah started posting “Danger Will Robinson” type warnings to posters.
I’m still not on the side of the folk who are havin’ a hissy over the strong enforcement of rules…and I’ve explained that multiple times on the HA Rendezvous site on FB..
But I am beginning to soften on my use of the word, “hate.”

I LOVE Ladyingray’s term, “Bupid Stitch,” Cuz it so aptly describes this piece of human excrement who would sell her soul for a place at Obama’s crotch table.

Now, hubby and I are going to have a nice fish dinner at one of our local Catholic parishes, and I will try to think Christian thoughts while doing so.
In the meantime, I have been working on a little essay regarding how I think we in the bloggisphere are starting to eat our young…and it ain’t good.

Peace out!

Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Now you know why at one of her town hall meetings last year.When she ask the people there don,t you trust me?They all yelled NO NO NO.

thmcbb on March 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Jvette on March 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Jvette

I am a General Surgeon in practice for 14 years. This government takeover excuse for ‘reform’ will effectively destroy health care and the country with it, not to mention my job.

Given the time required to become an Orthopedic Surgeon, the severely limited income that will result from this bill, the enormous malpractice premiums which aren’t addressed in this bill, and the nightmare that working for the government will be, I would strongly encourage your child to reconsider his decision to enter the health care profession.

For everyone else, this is from Levin’s site………..

Paul Revere on March 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM

90% debt to GDP? Hell, we passed that 400+% ago, when you count it all.

the entire world is insolvent, although some are more insolvent than others. Greek total net liabilities (on and off balance sheet) to GDP are 800%! EU: at 470%, the US, at over 500%. There is no way out but default.

The pressure to tighten fiscal policy from current nose-bleed levels of deficits is not just an issue for crisis hit Greece. It is an issue for virtually all economies. It is a particular issue for the US and UK with structural (cyclically adjusted) general government deficits of almost 10% of GDP (according to the OECD)! There is a ferocious debate ongoing between those who believe there needs to be a rapid reduction in these deficits to avoid some combination of insolvency/default/rapid inflation and those who believe that there should be even more fiscal stimulus. The debate is loud and opinions are tending to be polarised.

My own view on this is that obviously we should never have got into this wholly avoidable mess in the first place. But having got here, there really is no way out that does not trigger a major market-moving upheaval. Ultimately economic prosperity over the past decade has been a sham: a totally unsustainable Ponzi scheme built on a mountain of private sector debt.GDP has simply been brought forward from the future and now it’s payback time. The trouble is that, as the private sector debt unwinds, there is no political appetite to allow GDP to decline to its “correct” level as this would involve a depression. So burgeoning public sector deficits and Quantitative Easing are required to maintain the fig-leaf of continued prosperity.

Oh, and the off-balance sheet stuff is almost all indexed to inflation, so you can’t just devalue the dollar and inflate your way out of it.

The people who voted against Social Security and Medicare were right. Oh, and I don’t know if this will get me banned, because I’m not cheering it on, but anyone who thinks that we can get out of this without it getting violent has a rosier view of human nature than I do.

venividivici on March 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Hope is not lost. AFDC was repealed in the ’90′s and the American people HATE this bill. If we get the House, all is possible.

DocinPA on March 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Remember when they had to go to the news channels and also say they overpromised on the stimulus?

Yep. Me too.

It’s a pattern of deceit.

lorien1973 on March 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Hope is not lost. AFDC was repealed in the ’90’s and the American people HATE this bill. If we get the House, all is possible.

DocinPA on March 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

And replaced it with SCHIP and WIC. They changed the letters around but the money was still spent.

angryed on March 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM

McCaskill is a contemptible whore.

Can’t wait to see ya back home sweetie!

daesleeper on March 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM

There’s no need to wait any longer for Obamacare. They said it passed this week! The next time you visit your health care provider, just inform them that you don’t need insurance anymore, as a United States citizen, you’ve got Obamacare. Your entire health care bill will be covered by the good credit of the U.S. Treasury and Congress!

Get as much of this great health care as you can right now, supplies are limited and will be on a first come, first served basis. You snooze-you loose!

joe btfsplk on March 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Unfortunately, Claire McCaskill is my senator.

manateespirit on March 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Unfortunately she is a Senator, period!

bluemarlin on March 26, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Vitamins
Adult incontinence products
Women’s products

Buy them before 7/1/10.

Key West Reader on March 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Could you provide a link, please?

lovingmyUSA on March 26, 2010 at 9:40 PM

For everyone else, this is from Levin’s site………..

Paul Revere on March 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thanks Paul, unfortunately we know this though it breaks our heart. He’s only 21 so I know he will find something.
I have no optimism that all this will change in the near future. It will have to be a total collapse before this course is changed.

Man, I hate this, I am always the eternal optimist as my husband says.

Jvette on March 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM

lovingmyUSA

It doesn’t say that HSA’s are dead, just if you try to use it for OTC w/out a prescription, so aspirin, etc. you will be taxed 40% more.

JAM on March 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM

lovingmyUSA

I should add that totally pisses me off b/c isn’t that what HSA’s etc were intended for? Buying drugs be they OTC or prescription amongst other medical expenses? This is just beyond stupid!

JAM on March 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

My god- Maybelline called- they’re running out of pancake!

2ipa on March 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM

You are wrong, I tell you! Wrong! Collect acorns…we shall all go on the nut standard! It is the only way! /sarc

Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 10:18 PM

My god- Maybelline called- they’re running out of pancake!

2ipa on March 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM

From the looks of her so is IHOP.

Aviator on March 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Let the lowering of expectations begin!

LOL

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I don’t think there would be any misunderstanding among this group…but just to clarify:

Bupid Stitch!!!

ladyingray on March 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Filly Stunt!

Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I sure hope Ladyingray knew I was referring to Clare, not her.

Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Great God, not another extremely ugly Democrat harridan!

Dhuka on March 26, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Don’t worry, Chewy, we all know who the Bupid Stitch is.

mobydutch on March 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

By the way, this tax on medical “equipment” is going to be pure hell for those with diabetes who spend up to $5.00 a day or more on testing supplies, syringes and needles, not counting the expense of insulin and medications.

Dhuka on March 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Bupid Stitch!!!
ladyingray on March 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Filly Stunt!
Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I sure hope Ladyingray knew I was referring to Clare, not her.
Chewy the Lab on March 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Put you mind at ease – the impression I go from that posting was that you were criticizing Clare, but I’m still not clear on the meaning of Filly Stunt?

Chip on March 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I think all of these Democrat female leaders would look great with veiled burka’s, and I am sure they would feel more politically correct. (plus we would not have to look at their ugly faces)

mobydutch on March 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Put your mind at ease – the impression I go from that posting was that you were criticizing Clare, but I’m still not clear on the meaning of Filly Stunt?

Chip on March 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Democrats overpromising? Ya don’t say!

ddrintn on March 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Have any been this unpopular out of the gate, and passed on a strictly partisan basis?

ddrintn on March 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM

“After 7/1/10 there will be a 40% tax imposed.”

I’m very skeptical of this claim. I have not seen it reported anywhere. As far as I know, the only health-care-related tax that goes into effect this year is a 10% tax on tanning salon visits.

The only 40% tax I’ve seen reported is a 40% tax on employer-sponsored health plans that exceed $10,200 for an individual. The tax applies to the amount above $10,200 (indexed for inflation). This tax does not go into effect until 2018.

sauropod on March 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM

angryed on March 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Not quite accurate. ADFC was welfare in the form of cash payment/checks. It was not specifically a healthcare or food program, although people were free to spend the money as they wished. It was later supplemented by the separate programs of Food Stamps for food and Medicaid for health care. TANF(a supposedly temporary welfare to work program) replaced ADFC. The food stamp and medicaid programs are still in effect. SCHIP is a health insurance program that is supposed to cover those who do not qualify for medicaid. WIC is simply a temporary food and necessities program for pregnant women and babies.

Deanna on March 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM

lovingmyUSA

JAM on March 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM

That is the goal – to push folk off of HSA’s. For Obamacare to succeed, other solutions must fail.

That is why Medical Equipment, like Wheelchairs and pacemakers will be taxed. To raise the rates insurers must charge.

As insurance rates skyrocket, paying the tax penalty instead of the insurance premium becomes more common. As more folk choose the penalty instead of skyrocketing rates, the insurance pool shrinks and rates climb more

That is a reason, but not the main reason, tort reform has zero place in Obamacare. The prime reason is the lawyers are backing Obama. The secondary reason is to keep rates in the stratosphere by not controlling frivolous lawsuits

Obama must make the public hate private medical care to go to step 2, single payer.

He chose a bad time for his strategy, however. He chose the beginning of the next world wide depression, with trade rules rigged to prevent recovery in the free states of the West.

This was his possibly fatal error. The Medicare cuts alone, in this time of financial crisis, could end his dream on election day. A poor economy could make Obama=topia look good, but a destroyed economy makes people cling to their assets, and obama is confiscating from people with voter registrations

entagor on March 27, 2010 at 2:10 AM

“After 7/1/10 there will be a 40% tax imposed.”

sauropod on March 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Read the link that JAM on March 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM provided.

lovingmyUSA on March 27, 2010 at 3:03 AM

I’m confused about all this “debt is going to be 90% of GDP” talk today. It’s currently 88%. Is there something terrible about the 2% that I don’t know about?

Zetterson on March 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Debt “held by the public” does not include Intragovernment Holdings (primarily what the government owes the Social Security Trust fund)

As of 03/25/2010, debt held by the public is $8,200,481,797,735.73 and Intragovernmental Holdings is $4,487,088,355,288.20, resulting in total public debt outstanding of $12,687,570,153,023.93.

If you take $8,200 billion “debt held by the public” and divide it by current GDP of $14,453 billion, you get “debt currently held by the public” at 57% of GDP.

An interesting take on this is, the CBO projects by 2020 that “debt held by the public” will rise to 90% while the Administration projects “debt held by the public” will only rise to 77% by 2020. From the article:

Recent research by noted economists Carmen Reinhart and Ken Rogoff (R&R) shows that countries grow more slowly when fiscal debt goes over the 90 percent debt-to-GDP threshold.

Xiphos on March 27, 2010 at 6:35 AM

What history tells me is that a people who make consistently foolish decisions end up being history.

Oldnuke on March 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

The truth is outed by Sen, McCaskil. The Demoncrates use incrementalism to shove government control over every aspect of our lives a little bit at a time. In this manner, it does not taste bad when poured over our popcorn as they indoctrinate U.S. with 3D movies that awe U.S. into not listening.

Again, Sen McCaskil tell U.S. what the plan is and now it up to U.S. to make sure it is not realized.

MSGTAS on March 27, 2010 at 10:46 AM

We Missourians are looking forward to voting you OUT of office, Claire.

PeyotePatty on March 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

What an ugly woman.

leftnomore on March 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Chip – think of a derogatory word that rhymes with stunt.

Next, these people get away with these monstrous behaviors due to what I personally feel to be three main factors: Drugs, ignorance and complacency or any combination. An electorate that is disabled simply cannot defend themselves. These people know this and we need to repair the damage if we expect to have a country worth living in based on values that should be nothing more than common sense. Glenn Beck is articulating this message as hard as he can and I suggest lending an ear. These progressives are dismantling the greatest nation in the world or are all of these people coming here coming here for a reason I don’t know about? Come together, good people.

LarryG on March 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM