Max Baucus: ObamaCare will help correct the “maldistribution” of income

posted at 8:22 pm on March 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Lots of buzz on Twitter for this one, but I’m not sure why. Of course this is what the bill is about; this is what The One means when he talks about “common sense,” “middle of the road” solutions. And the “maldistribution” doesn’t only apply between rich and poor, it applies between young and old and the healthy and sick too. Look no further than the new (and, it should be said, hugely popular) exemption for preexisting conditions. As Robert Tracinski explained eight months ago, once you take away the industry’s right to decline a particular risk, you’re no longer talking about insurance. You’re talking about welfare.

So let’s ask the question the left never asks: how is it possible for an insurance company to pay for these giant medical bills? What makes it possible is a whole set of statistical calculations. For every person who needs open-heart surgery or chemotherapy, there have to be a certain number of other people who are paying their premiums but haven’t gotten seriously ill. If the insurance company has gotten its calculations right, the expenses for any one person’s catastrophic care are balanced out by the premiums other people pay “just in case.”

You can see how Obama’s demands undermine this whole system. To ask insurance companies to cover a patient after the tumor is diagnosed is to ask them to take on a known expense. Combine that with another Obama demand: that insurance companies can’t charge higher rates for those who are at higher risk of getting sick. So if insurance companies have to take on a known expense and can’t charge a higher rate for it, how are they going to pay for it? By raising everyone else’s rates, redistributing their wealth to the new freeloaders.

This isn’t insurance, it’s welfare. And that’s the whole point.

Right. That’s why you need a mandate — not only to cover the costs of emergency care for the uninsured, as Romney insists, but to squeeze premiums out of people (healthy young people, mostly) who probably won’t need care at all. And what if that’s not enough of a corrective to the “maldistribution”? Well, then you add some taxes and squeeze a little more revenue that way. Why, here’s a nice tax now that already has Obama pal Deval Patrick panicking about the job losses it’ll create within Massachusetts’s medical-device industry.

But I’m sure it’ll all work out for the best. And if it doesn’t, who cares? It’s here to stay. That’s how entitlements work, you mean conservative, you. Click the image to watch.

baucus

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

JohnInCA on March 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Oh John-as long as you espouse the ideals of freedom & prosperity, you know, Constitutional stuff, your name will never be an epithet. AnninCaing straight!

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Max Baucus: ObamaCare will help correct the “maldistribution” of effort

Well, in a real world, that is what he would have said.

percysunshine on March 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Trying to bum rush amnesty is going to be the marxists’ attempt at the Reichstag Fire. It’s a time sensitive twofor for them, only natural.

ontherocks on March 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

CTSherman on March 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

What’s that ol’ adage: Misery loves company!

dmann on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

EEF’ you Baucus!

You deranged socialist.

b1jetmech on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

From Wiki:

Baucus was born to a wealthy ranching family in Helena, Montana…

Baucus has been criticized for his ties to the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries, and has been one of the largest beneficiaries in the Senate of campaign contributions from these industries. From 2003 to 2008, Baucus received $3,973,485 from the health sector, including $852,813 from pharmaceutical companies, $851,141 from health professionals, $784,185 from the insurance industry and $465,750 from HMOs/health services, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. A 2006 study by Public Citizen found that between 1999 and 2005 Baucus, along with former Senate majority leader Bill Frist, took in the most special-interest money of any senator.

Only three senators have more former staffers working as lobbyists on K Street, at least two dozen in Baucus’s case. Several of Baucus’s ex-staffers, including former chief of staff David Castagnetti, are now working for the pharmaceutical and health insurance industries.

And:

In response to the questions raised by the large amount of funding he took from the health care industry, Baucus declared a moratorium as of July 1, 2009 on taking more special interest money from health care political action committees. Baucus, however, declined to return as part of his moratorium any of the millions of dollars he has received from health care industry interests before July 1, 2009, or to rule out a resumption of taking the same or greater health care industry contributions in the future. Baucus’s new policy on not taking health care industry money reportedly still permits him to take money from lobbyists or corporate executives, who the Washington Post found continued to make donations after July 1, 2009.

A watchdog group found that in July 2009 Baucus took more money from the health care industry in violation of the self-defined terms of his moratorium, leading Baucus to return the money.

INC on March 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Baucus!

You deranged socialist.

b1jetmech on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Yeah! Baucus off!
Or how bout, I got Baucused last night!
I am getting the hang of this.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM

INC on March 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM

That doesn’t surprise me bcs I know the avg citizen of MT doesn’t have any $$. At least the ranchers I know.
In fact, we are all on the verge of collapse.
Baucus you, Baucus!

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM

There are no more democrats. Only socialists.

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Baucus has done the drunken public speaking thing at least twice recently. He has a booze issue.
And right on the heels of the girlfriend/judicial appointment thing – nice! Just another selfless public servant doing the people’s bidness.

ontherocks on March 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Misery loves company!

dmann on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

It will be fun though. I live in a town where a large % of the population live here on weekends but in Manhattan during the week. Both of my neighbors are Manhattanites, voted for BOH in 08′ and are already disappointed. It’s going to be a fun summer!

CTSherman on March 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

According to Baucus, the recently laid-off employees at CBS get to share Katie Couric’s huge salary.

TN Mom on March 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Now let’s add 15 million illegals, promptly make them citizens, make them permanent welfare recipients and Democrats will never lose another election!

The consumers outnumber the producers.

The producers are the new slaves.

drjohn on March 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM

They are not even bothering to hide their Marxism anymore. Do they know something about the next election that we don’t? or are they simply relying in the dumbness of their constituents who keep re-electing them no matter what?

neuquenguy on March 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM

It’s called Universal Voter Registration.

Look it up. It’s coming.

Dominion on March 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Okay everybody in the barrel! We’re going over the falls so let’s all go together.

Mojave Mark on March 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM

House votes 220-207 to seal historic legislation enshrining health care as the right of every citizen.

My Comcast headline tonight. The obligatory historic PLUS now it’s Life, Liberty, Healthcare and the pursuit of happiness(as long as you don’t get as wealthy as out dear leaders)?

Eff you, Max.

You have just guaranteed that I will “hide” as much of my wealth from you socialist scum as possible.

reaganaut on March 25, 2010 at 10:03 PM

CTSherman on March 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

My connection with the elite is via Cape Cod and Stratton Vt. We met at the beach and the rest is history, both families grew up together via summer weeks in Falmouth and winter weekends on the mtn. I love them dearly, politics aside and we do go to the mat over the issues!

dmann on March 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

There are no more democrats. Only socialists.

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I’ve come to that conclusion. If you vote for a democrat, you’re voting for the socialist/Marxist ideology. There’s no doubt anymore.

There’s really only:

Socialists—–Liberal Republicans——Libertarians/Conservatives

visions on March 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

neuquenguy on March 25, 2010 at 9:04 PM

It’s called Universal Voter Registration.
Look it up. It’s coming.
Dominion on March 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

They don’t really seem to care if they piss off the voters, do they?

Chip on March 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Look it up. It’s coming.
Dominion on March 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I have always known that this is the way it is going.
And you have now scared me so that I will not be able to sleep tonight.
Ugh.
*Tomorrow at school* We’re watching a movie in class today (so I can sleep) ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I am sooo embarrassed by his behavior. Give the finger…over and over and over to our allys. Bow to our enemies and those that are phony supporters of our country. It makes me sick! But it all goes back to that narcissitic psychosis of his…

Then, there is this.

Here’s somethin’ interesting. Now, the Icarus analogy isn’t my idea…I read it earlier on HA, but can’t remember who initiated it. I did however think it was spot-on. Let’s just hope the Prez’s wax wings don’t melt if he flies too close to Nancy Pelosi. Watchathink?

Chewy the Lab on March 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM

An oldie but goodie, from 1972. Still puts a shiver up my spine.

fullogas on March 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I remember first hearing about this when I was a young child, about how my parents left Europe for a better life here in the USA.

Then I saw it, several times, when I traveled to the former Yugoslavia to visit family left behind.

Then I studied it, during college, and traveled to see the aftermath throughout Eastern Europe and in the former Soviet Union.

Each time, then during the campaign with Obama explaining “fairness” to Joe the Plumber during the campaign, and now with Baucus, the phrase is the same.

“What’s mine is mine. What’s yours is mine.”

This guy is an f’in communist.

Vote this bastard the f-out of office, Montana! Then the state of Montana should confiscate all of his wealth and assets, and redistribute them back to all the people of Montana.

Danny on March 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Some things, no matter how much one has expected them, sends shivers down one’s spine.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

How can a state like Montana, with its western heritage, cowboys, etc., elect a bufoon and crook like Max? I just don’t get it. It would be one thing if he came from CA, NY or IL, but Montana?

uncalheels on March 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I’m an old guy.

I don’t have a degree.

I fought in Nam. I manned automatic weapons at point blank range.

I have made and lost and made over $1M dollars.

I want to leave it to my children and their children.

I don’t care about spending it on myself or my wife. She feels the same.

At this point in my life I wonder; What did I live for? What did my friends die for? What happened to America?

I lived by the rules, but now, the rules are upside down. I am on the wrong side of history.

I should have been the victim.

Star20 on March 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM

uncalheels on March 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Missoula is full of liberal hippies.
College town.
Scary place.
And cowboys, like my husband, usually don’t get out & vote.
My husband always makes the excuse that he’s at the sale barn that day.
So I pick up his absentee vote form for him & make him fill it out & take it back.
Ranch wives need to nag their cowboy husbands more in MT.
That would take care of Baucus.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

EEF’ biden you Baucus!

You deranged socialist.

b1jetmech on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

FIFY

Akzed on March 25, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I should have been the victim.

Star20 on March 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Now stop. You are, but just stop it.

Akzed on March 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Hey, Barry more or less said in 2008 that he doesn’t care if his policies make us all poor, as long as he eliminates the “unfairness.”

disa on March 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Star20 on March 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM

If I had wealth right now (which I don’t – we have essentially nothing but the house we live in, which is way under water) I would convert it into some portable form that leaves no trail. You never know when you’re going to need it.

disa on March 25, 2010 at 11:05 PM

uncalheels on March 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM

My guess is that they think they still live in the “old” US, where you could afford to pay no attention to the clowns in DC.

disa on March 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Dude’s drunk. In vino veritas.

Buford Gooch on March 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I knew someone else had this. When I heard the tape in the car I cracked up — he’s wasted again! What a fuc%ing souse this clown is.

He’s so wasted he gets up and speaks in public on camera without any apparent reservations. Wow.

Jaibones on March 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Lots of buzz on Twitter for this one, but I’m not sure why.

Classic Allahpundit opener!

Sharke on March 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I think he is drunk.

But he would have said this out loud when sober too. A Social SEcurity guy told a room ful of people last week that SS is income redistribution because we don’t want the elderly in poverty.

PattyJ on March 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Lots of buzz on Twitter for this one, but I’m not sure why.

Because for some unfathomable reason you’re invested in being a buzzkill and a pill.

Kensington on March 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM

In Britain, the number of NHS bureaucrats is increasing six times faster than the number of nurses.

Folks, this is exactly what we have in store with Obummercare. A massive rise in bureaucracy accompanied by a decrease in efficiency and quality. It’s only a matter of time before American hospitals put old patients in storage closets and leave dead people in beds for 24 hours like what happens in the UK despite their legions of administrators and bureaucrats.

The workforce of bureaucrats in the NHS is growing six times as quickly as the number of nurses, according to official figures.

While the number of health service managers went up 12 per cent in one year, the number of nurses increased by less than 2 per cent – and the number of health visitors plummeted.

Since Labour came to power, the number of managers has almost doubled, partly as a result of the need to monitor stringent Whitehall targets on waiting times.

And this:

Meanwhile there has been a fall in health visitors, who are vital to ensuring children and the elderly get the best possible care in the community.

Numbers have fallen by a fifth since 1999 – so that there are now four times as many managers as health visitors.

The rise in bureaucrats comes as ministers are urging the NHS to slash management costs by a third – raising the prospect of huge job losses and associated high redundancy costs.

Overall, the number of NHS staff increased to record levels, according to the NHS Information Centre.

There are now more than 1.4million working in the Health Service – more than one in 50 people in the country, making it one of the largest employers in the world behind the likes of the Chinese Army.

Sharke on March 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Aslan’s Girl: huh? Did you actually listen to it?

fullogas on March 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Obama crony capitalism creates mal-distribution.

PrezHussein on March 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Wow, AP reads Robert Tracinski. There might be hope for you yet.

JDPerren on March 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Baucus is paraphrasing his hero.

“From each according to his means. To each according to his needs.” – Straight from the Marx’s mouth.

viking01 on March 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Why do these lefties always want to drag down the rich instead of elevating the poor to fix the “maldistribution”? Must be more skim that way…

2ipa on March 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM

-How did you get 50 cows when your neighbors have only one each?

-I worked for them.

Too bad. Social justice demands you redistribute the herd more equitably.

-What if I disagree?

We have a machine gun that would like to argue the point with you.

(Standard operating procedure in Soviet Russian and Communist China, from 1917 onward.)

profitsbeard on March 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Step #1; Hide everything you can from the taxman.

Step #2; Take everything you can from the Nannystate.

Step #3; Wait for the house of cards to fall down.

Star20 on March 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

And cowboys, like my husband, usually don’t get out & vote.
My husband always makes the excuse that he’s at the sale barn that day.
Ranch wives need to nag their cowboy husbands more in MT.
That would take care of Baucus.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I hate to say it, but I need to ask. Doesn’t he value voting? Why does he make excuses for not voting? And why do you have to nag him to be a cowboy? I think this is why Conservatism fails. We fail Conservatism.

TwilightStruggler on March 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Socialist Peacock in Chief

Schadenfreude on March 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

America, you voted for this pr*ck, you got him.

Schadenfreude on March 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM

uncalheels on March 25, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Voters in Montana went Democratic several years ago. It’s a Blue state now and there’s now sign it’s going to change anytime soon. Sad.

JDPerren on March 26, 2010 at 1:39 AM

fullogas on March 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Huh? I meant shiver as in terror. What the heck else did you think I meant?!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM

fullogas, sorry if I was a bit snappy in my reply, just couldn’t stand the thought that anyone would think I *liked* what Baucas said!

I have always used “shivers down my spine” for something terrifying like a creepy movie or novel and “shivers up my spine” for something inspiring or exciting…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on March 26, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Obama’s apparent plan to turn the entire country into the destitute inner city of Chicago is working out nicely, no?

Good Lt on March 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM

TwilightStruggler on March 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM

I do not have to nag my hubby to be a cowboy. That is who he is.
I have to nag him to vote. He is convinced that his vote doesn’t matter bcs of organizations like ACORN, etc.
And I don’t know if you know any ranchers or cowboys, but they are very independent & hate govt.
They hide from the world & do their thing.
My husband is the epitome of all the cowboys I know & have known from all over.
I you knew any, you’d know what I’m talking about.
They want to be left alone. They get riled about some things, but not others, & politics is one tey steer clear of.
But they are slowly getting angry & as a politicized ranch wife, I educate him on matters & we discuss them.
He actually listens to the radio programs a lot while he’s driving truck for extra $$ or tooling around the pasture.
So I am on a mission to get my husband, & others like him around here that have left politics alone to cowboy up & vote & get involved.

Badger40 on March 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

The consumers outnumber the producers.
The producers are the new slaves.
drjohn on March 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Then it’s time the producers Went Galt.

blr2449 on March 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Badger40 on March 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Good on you Badge. I have done the same with my wife actually. In fact, we attended what was her first political event on Monday. Almost poetically, a rather ugly, purely political controversy erupted (I wont go in to detail, but it had to do with a lefty overstepping his authority and refusing to allow the moderator, a nationally syndicated talk show host and skilled moderator, to enter the building.
So she particiapated in her first political statement, we walked out, and held our own little caucus just outside the building.
Point is, she is now pumped up to be a part of the solution. And that is pure gold to me.

JusDreamin on March 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Well, this won’t be popular here, but the rich really have gotten way richer, and the middle class really has lost out.

That argument about the tax on the top 2 percent is a winner for Dems right now.

However, the truth is? It’s not going to fund this bill entirely, so let the beat go on.

AnninCA on March 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Is Baucus exempt from this? Something tells me he is.

I’ll try to keep this short. Way back when, many , many moons ago, I did volunteer work as a candy striper. You have no idea, and this was before HMO’s and such…but no idea how many people abused their insurance back then. Old, and young alike. Every little boo boo, they thought required a hospital stay, and they got it. Sometimes up to a week. It’s not just the poor, and destitute…but there are others, who do pay, but abuse it. I dont’ know how much of the hospitalization, for hypochondria goes on now, but watch for a lot of abuse of the system, by those who need it least too.

capejasmine on March 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM

AnninCA on March 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Before 9/11 things were good. Inspite of 9/11…Bush kept things going pretty well, and staved off a lot worse than could have happened, considering the circumstances. Things started going to hell when the Dems took control in 2007. They blamed Bush and the Republicans for their spending. I did too….but rather then come in, and start fixing it, they started the spending. They’ve done far more spending, and putting us in debt.

I don’t excuse the Republicans, but at least at that time, it was fixable. Now? Screw it. We’re broke, and it’s gonna get a lot worse. Even for the middle class.

capejasmine on March 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

How fugged up is Montana to even elect this douchebag to the Senate ? and this is supposed to be a right-leaning state ?

nagee76 on March 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Wow, AP reads Robert Tracinski. There might be hope for you yet
Heh.In defense of the self described candy-ass Rino’esque Eyeore Pundit, AP is actually a true believer -he is just a little more pessimistic than every one else.

nagee76 on March 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

It wont be popular here because it is stupid – there is no pre-determined level of wealth a person HAS to earn in this world. Nothing is guaranteed – can some one answer these questions

A. How is it that this happened ? do you mean to say that there is some wealth which automatically belongs to a class of people who are not rich and this was “taken away” from them by the ERP(TM)?

B. Who gets to be the arbiter of what a rich person is allowed to keep and how much the middle class MUST have ?

C. Really wealthy people are not stupid enough to earn income that will be taxed near 36% – they usually receive a token salary and invest in capital – do you want this to be taxed at 36% and above as well?

D.Why is it that you are so fixated by people earning salaries that are above 250,000$ when there are any number of average and below average atheletes, actors and actresses,celebrities who make salaries that are ten times bigger?

Have you ever asked yourself if Julia Roberts is actually worth 20Mil per movie ? If not why are you so pissed with the “rich” people making money ?

That is for sure -until of course till the time the ERP start slowly but surely fading or go Galt.. who will you start demonizing then ?

If not for the top 10% income earners, the Federal Govt would come to an absolute stand still – they pay about 75% of all income taxes – so, dont despise them too much.

nagee76 on March 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM

JusDreamin on March 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Great story. Another welcomed into the fold.

nagee76 on March 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Spot on.
If I were rich, & rich enough, I’d not live here, or find a way to skirt around being taxed to death.
However I earn my $$, as long as legal (hopefully also ethical), is none of anyone’s business,nor should it be.
It’s AnninCaing rediculous to villify someone bcs they have earned their $$ or even inherited it.
It is their $$ just like th measley salary I make.
It’s MINE & you have no right to it.
Go MAKE YOUR OWN $$ AnninCa & STOP WHINING that people have too much.
It’s like guns: you can never have too much.

Badger40 on March 26, 2010 at 1:25 PM

In November we’re going to correct the “maldistribution” of power in the government and you Mr. Obama, you moron, we’ll get lots of people elected on the repeal platform.

TrickyDick on March 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM