Farm equipment manufacturers take deep hits from ObamaCare

posted at 1:36 pm on March 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Caterpillar announced last week that it would take a $100 million hit from the mandates in ObamaCare, and yesterday, they made it official.  As a publicly-traded firm, Caterpillar had to reveal the major change to its financial standing to its investors:

Caterpillar Inc. said Wednesday it will take a $100 million charge to earnings this quarter to reflect additional taxes stemming from newly enacted U.S. health-care legislation.

The world’s largest construction equipment manufacturer by sales, warned last week that provisions in the legislation would subject the company to federal income taxes on the subsidies it receives for providing prescription drug benefits for its retirees and their spouses. …

The charge is expected to be a one-time cost, but Caterpillar has argued that higher taxes and other potential cost increases related to insurance coverage mandates in the legislation will hinder the company’s recovery this year after a 75% plunge in income during 2009.

“From our point of view, a tax increase like this cannot come at a worse time,” said Jim Dugan, a Caterpillar spokesman.

As it happens, Caterpillar isn’t alone, not even among its competitors.  In fact, the massive charge actually amounts to less than what John Deere had to announce today:

Farm equipment maker Deere expects after-tax expenses to rise by $150 million this year as a result of the health care reform law President Barack Obama signed this week.

Most of the higher expense will come in Deere’s [DE  60.94    0.45  (+0.74%)   ] second quarter, the company said on Thursday. The expense was not included in the company’s earlier 2010 forecast, which called for net income of about $1.3 billion. …

The law could raise expenses for large U.S. employers. Industrial companies, which typically have large numbers of retirees, may be among those facing the biggest bill. Caterpillar had argued before the legislation passed that health reform would put it at a disadvantage against global competitors.

Now we have two American-based manufacturers that suddenly have a quarter of a billion dollars less capital than they did on Saturday.  That’s just two companies.  How much more capital will that grab from American businesses?  We’ll start seeing it in their financial disclosures soon enough, and it will run into the tens of billions of dollars, perhaps more.

Some may say, Well, great!  It pays for ObamaCare. It also takes the cash that would have fueled expansion, new job creation, and retirement income and sticks it into the hands of government bureaucrats.  It will massively bleed the economy at a point in time where we desperately need the private sector to invest in itself and create new jobs and new opportunities.

Instead, those manufacturing jobs will simply go outside the US.  If John Deere or Caterpillar doesn’t move them overseas, then foreign manufacturers will take up the slack instead.  There would have been no good time for ObamaCare, but this is the absolutely worst time of all to impose these backbreaking taxes on the private sector.  Expect unemployment to remain high, and perhaps even go higher, as a result of Congress’ work.

Let’s not forget who told us that we could discover much about America’s bottom line by looking at Caterpillar’s bottom line, after all:

John Deere’s too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey Badger- my husband builds computers, and can make you up a nice little number. We love grass fed beef.

Kristamatic on March 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Hmmm… I bet I can convince my hubby of a deal. But he’s the deal maker cuz he’s the boss on the place.
I am only the unpaid hired hand.
Course I live in ND. A lotta times people buy on the hoof & then the rancher sends it to the butcher & then the new animal’s owner pays for the processing, which for a whole critter is around $400, unless you like to butcher yourself.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

LOL. A commercial enterprise took a hit for its own bad business deal. To compare that to a charge resulting from a government diktat is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of.

You’re f***ing stupid. Maybe you see the analogy, but I assure you that it’s not there.

Moron.

BuckeyeSam on March 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Uncle and Sam, here’s from Cat’s SEC filing. One time because of the taxes (not tax in one quarter) it expects to pay:

As a result of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590) signed into law on March 23, 2010 (the
“Act”), beginning in 2011 the tax deduction available to Caterpillar Inc. (“Caterpillar”) will be reduced to the extent its drug expenses are reimbursed under the Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy (RDS) program. Although this tax
increase does not take effect until 2011, Caterpillar is required to recognize the full accounting impact in its financial statements in the period in which the Act is signed. As retiree healthcare liabilities and related tax impacts are already reflected in Caterpillar’s financial statements, the change will result in a charge to Caterpillar’s earnings in the first quarter of 2010 of approximately $100 million after tax. This charge reflects the anticipated increase in taxes that will occur as a result of the Act.

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

It only becomes a cash charge in about 3 years because of the additional taxes it will pay.

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:49 PM

3yrs, today, yesterday, 10 yrs from now. It is still taxation=stealing.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Without jobs the economy cannot flourish. Jobs are the only solution to a sick economy.
Taxes kill business and innovation.
Your leader 0bowma does not understand this and unfortunately quite a few of his followers don’t either.

FireBlogger on March 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

If any of you want to know more about the law, BTW, instead of trying to twist what I said into “I said it’s Bush’s fault”.

The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act[1] (also called the Medicare Modernization Act or MMA) is a federal law of the United States, enacted in 2003[2]. It produced the largest overhaul of Medicare in the public health program’s 38-year history.

The MMA was signed by President George W. Bush on December 8, 2003, after passing in Congress by a close margin[3].

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I just learned to can stuff last year, after 0 took office. It seemed like a prudent thing to learn.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I love to can my own food. My grandma sent me her double decker canner years ago & I bought a used one to do lotsa stuff at once.
It takes some time, but is well worth it.
I like to go through IA on the way home from visiting my g-ma in S. IN.
I get bunches of yummy sweet corn to can.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Obama’s War on Prosperity continues!!

Trickle up Poverty at it’s best!

cntrlfrk on March 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I bought a Harvest Yellow Presto 20 qt. cooker/canner from a thrift shop for $5 a couple years back. Still in the box, just like new.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I fail to see how any goods or services will be affordable to those not working for the government when these changes take effect.

I’m also not sure how people will be able to find private sector work – no matter what their background or experience.

Communism is physically harmful to people.
We are in for pain that we can at this time not imagine.

Unbelievable.

Dorvillian on March 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM

So Bush passing the Medicare Expansion Legislation justifies this Obamanation? That’s equivalent to saying somebody hitting you with a spitwad authorizes you to blow up their house with a tank.

kingsjester on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Speaking of Caterpillar,anyone see this!!!

Its NUTS!!!!
==========================================================
Obama’s Caterpillar Visit a Thumb in the Eye for Human Rights Activists

AlterNet / By Stephen Zunes COMMENTS: 75 Obama’s Caterpillar Visit a Thumb in the Eye for Human Rights Activists

Caterpillar’s equipment has been used to level homes, build Israel’s illegal separation wall and, in some cases, kill innocent civilians.
February 14, 2009 |

Over the objections of church groups, peace organizations and human rights activists, President Barack Obama decided to return to Illinois to visit the headquarters of the Caterpillar company, which for years has violated international law, U.S. law and its own code of conduct by selling its D9 and D10 bulldozers to Israel.

In his speech on Thursday, Obama praised Caterpillar, saying, “Your machines plow the farms that feed our families; build the towers that shape our skylines; lay the roads that connect our communities; power the trucks that deliver our goods.” He failed to mention that Caterpillar machines have been used to level Palestinian homes, uproot olive orchards, build the illegal separation wall and, in some cases, kill innocent civilians, including a 23-year old American peace activist.
============================================

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Sickening! Anything to make a buck…

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Heh

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I have a bumper crop of cilantro and oregano in my garden, as well as some fat onions. Gonna be growing lots of veggies and herbs in my garden this year.

Sekhmet on March 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I just took a gander at my winter onions and leeks.
Looking good, chives, oregano, flat leaf parsley and other herbs are coming back, too.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM

And right on cue, a deflection to Bush.

Chuck Schick on March 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM

A canner, what a great idea. In the old country, we used to do it the old fashioned way, put things in jars and in water and boil them, that works too. I have been meaning to start a garden and do my own stuff. I already learned to make my own pizza from scratch, so maybe I will reach bck to my roots and start living like the commie country I came from. We grew our own veggies and had animals, and this was in the CITY (we had chickens, rabbits and pigs) and grew tomatoes, onions, strawberries, figs (we had a fig tree), raddishes, cucumbers, pumpkins, etc. And it was all out of need.

immigrantchick on March 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM

And right on cue, a deflection to Bush.

Chuck Schick on March 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM

–Why don’t you show all of us how anything I wrote was remotely like “Blame it on BOOSH”? I’ll wait.

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I am not even that old, but we were so backwards, all because of communism. From a country that had manufacturing from outside (Italy, England, etc.) to a dump where people had to be forced to stay in the country, or the smart ones would leave. Our doctors would have left in a heartbeat if allowed. Since no one was allowed to leave, becomign a doctor was a comparatively decent option. I think in America, it will be worse. There will be no incentive here to become a doctor. My husband’s parents, both doctors, left Ireland because of socialized medicine. Get ready for importing doctors from 3d world countries, like they do in the UK.

immigrantchick on March 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Sickening! Anything to make a buck…

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Well that cinches it, you are a lost cause. Anyone unfamiliar with this lefty cabal is too ignorant of politics to have an experienced opinion.

The so called “Palestinians” play people like yourselves for total fools.

ClassicCon on March 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

kingsjester on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

–Go back and read what I wrote. Bush passed the earlier bill. Companies dropped retiree health but subsidized prescription drug plans in connection with the new Medicare drug bill signed by Bush. That’s what happened previously. There’s no “cause and effect” between what Bush did and what’s now going on, other than companies adopted the new subsidized drug plan as a result of that. And there was absolutely no attempt to say or to any way imply that it was BOOSH’s fault. Geez.

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

============================================

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Sickening! Anything to make a buck…

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

–I hate to mention it to you guys, but the 23 year old activist was killed when she laid down in front of a bulldozer and was accidentally run over because the driver couldn’t see her. That’s like blaming Ford because someone lays down on a highway in front of your car.

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Then why bring it up on a “Farm equipment manufacturers take deep hits from ObamaCare” Thread?

kingsjester on March 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
=====================================

Sickening! Anything to make a buck…

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Dark-Star: The poor victimized Palestinian’s!!

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

kingsjester on March 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM

+10
Clueless. So very clueless.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Heh

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

OmahaConservative:)

canopfor on March 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Wow Jimbo3, I always felt conflicted about you since you are one of the few that honestly debates on here without dragging things down in the gutter like I love to do. Disagree with you most of the time, but can’t deny you seem like a solid person.

Amazed at what I consider to be you reasonable take on the whole Rachel Corrie incident. Not what I expected.

ClassicCon on March 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I renewed my canning skills last summer! It was great. I’m doubling my garden this year and planning on canning at least double what I did last year! Saved me some money and the food was delicious. I plan to expand my strawberry patch and grow some blueberries too!

About the only thing I can give credit to Obama for…. renewing my self sufficiency skills.

I did not however get lucky with a $5 pressure cooker, I had to pay full price!! :-(

ladyhawke53 on March 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

The so called “Palestinians” play people like yourselves for total fools.

ClassicCon on March 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Please point out where I cheered for the Palestinians. Oh wait, I didn’t, you simply ASSumed so because not being 110% pro-Israel means supporting the Pals in your little mind.

I despise BOTH sides; they all play various Westerners for money and support. Have for decades.

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

ladyhawke53 on March 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I volunteer for a charitable thrift shop, get first dibs on all kinds of cool stuff.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Listen poindexter, I know you fancy yourself some brilliant, enlightened independent sage that is above the rest of us with your fence riding, but to those of us that have lived a little it simply comes off as childish arrogance.

Considering you were ignorant of the Rachael Corrie story, and your knee-jerk response is outrage at Caterpillar reveals that you are a political neophyte.

ClassicCon on March 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I

It’s all part of the plan you see, it’s all part of the plan.

chemman on March 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

This will affect states, too, I think. CA receives the subsidies and then passes on the savings to retirees on a drug benefit.

Kaboom! Bankruptcy!

PattyJ on March 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Lets say I get a tax cut on say my home. Lets then say the government decides I no longer get that tax cut. Lets say its $2000 and cuts into savings and whatnot.

Every year when I do not get that savings, do I consider it a one time fee or is it a yearly cost?

Jimbo you have a hole in your logic, its a yearly cost, not a one time fee. It would be a one time fee if it only happened one year not every subsequent year. At the very least. Caterpillar lost $100 million in opportunity costs for growth, expansion and new jobs.

Every single dollar the government takes from business and individuals is an opportunity cost for them to do something productive with it. Government wastes so much money that the less you give them, the less they have to waste. The American people are waking back up to that essential fact.

Well except for the 1 in 5 that still buy hope and change, like Jimbo…and union bosses…and other factually challenged individuals.

Opportunity Costs on March 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

It’s also states like Alabama not hiring new ag extension specialists and not filling positions in the dept. created by retirees.

AubieJon on March 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM

This has been happening in Ohio also. My dad used to be a 4-H extension agent until he retired. Now, they’re starting to combine some of those roles across multiple counties.

dominigan on March 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I wonder where they’ll move. Many countries would be delighted to have them and would give them tax incentives. But the Obama administration isn’t interested in this I guess. This AM on talk radio from MA a story played about the medical devices industries in MA that are actually hiring and doing fine. O’s taxes will hit them big time so Scott Brown co-sponsored one of the amendments which would have lessened or eliminated this tax on them and John Kerry voted against it. ‘Party first, people second’should become the motto of the Democratic Party. I know it would probably be unfair but this has never bothered any Democrats before and it is Kerry’s state. Let me predict that John Kerry will go the way of the Kennedys as soon as possible.

jeanie on March 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I’m sorry please make that ‘Obama First and People Second’ as He has some magical power about him that sends Democratic legislators over cliff and under the bus.

jeanie on March 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM

My husband works for Caterpillar in Clayton, NC. They have already laid-off 20% of the workforce there (don’t worry, trolls–they also let a number of white collar jobs go as well). The sad thing is, on Cat’s job postings website, 60% of the openings available are in CHINA. Not feeling the hopeychangey thing at Cat….

varnson on March 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM

At the rate of all this kind of news coming, we would hardly recognize our country this Nov.

Sir Napsalot on March 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I have heard proponents of this legislation say that it will help American businesses because they are at a disadvantage with foreign companies that do not have to provide health care to their employees..well so much for that canard.

Terrye on March 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM

ClassicCon on March 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Color me surprised as well. Pleasantly surprised, however. Keep in mind, there is substantial evidence that St. Pancake was alive after the incident and died in the Paleostinians care. She was worth more dead to those sub-human filth than alive. But, of course, facts don’t matter to the pro-Paleos.

PimFortuynsGhost on March 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Obamacare = Jobs killer.

Obamacare Death panel shows up early.

TN Mom on March 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

just great, two of our biggest customers, Deere and Caterpillar. I guess I can read the handwriting on the wall for my firm.

exceller on March 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Mmmmmm… now the Dhims’ crap sandwich gets toasted to enrich the flavor and improve the “mouth feel”… mmmmmm

How do you like it now, Dhims?

ya2daup on March 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Jimbo3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

That is the total extent of their liability for all retirees forever?

unclesmrgol on March 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Tax the rich, feed the poor, until there are no rich no more.

Who will feed the poor when there are no rich no more?

JustTruth101 on March 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Almost all companies then dropped their retiree medical plans

But Jimbo, why hadn’t they dropped them before? :-)

DrSteve on March 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I can hardly wait for Obama’s ‘new economy’. No growth, no new hiring, no new ideas. Hey, we’ll be just like Europe!

GarandFan on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Dark-Star on March 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Sorry, you are either FOR Israel, or for the Palestinians. There is no middle ground here. Israel has bent over backwards appeasing its enemies. They should have never given back the land it won with its own blood, when they were attacked for merely making an oasis in the middle of a desert, and wanting to live peacefully with their neighbors.

The Palestinian government, like the democraps here in the USA, have done nothing to advance the welfare of their people. They are filled with hatred, and have no regard for human life.

“We do not rejoice in victories. We rejoice when a new kind of cotton is grown and when strawberries bloom in Israel.

Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us.”

Golda Meir

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM

ladyhawke53 on March 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Well if you ever need another pressure cooker, estate sales & thrift stores & even antique stores sell them & they don’t cost much.
Or you could ask any old ladies you know & they probably have one!

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Where is Caterpillar HQed? Why none other than DEAR LEADER’s home state. Where is John Deere HQed? Why also Illinois.

Man I do love the smell of karma early in the evening.

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Caterpillar and John Deere, two companies that make the equipment that produce the crops that feed the world. Pinnochio is driving them out of the country.

Only good thing about it is they are mostly Union jobs and they give big bucks to the clowns that are shuttin them down!
Good Plan!

dhunter on March 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Peoria County, IL – home of Caterpillar.
2008 Election Results: Obama 54%, McCain 44%

Rock Island County, IL – home of John Deere.
2008 Election Results: Obama 62%, McCain 37%

So you know what employees of JD and Caterpillar….go to hell for all I care. You broke, you own. Chumps!

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I guess I can read the handwriting on the wall for my firm.

exceller on March 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM

That shouldn’t affect you at all.
Jimbo told us it’s only a one time fee.
You’ll be fiiiiiinnne.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM

dhunter on March 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Get ready for organic!
Higher priced & way less of it (not to mention in some cases, of lesser quality).

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Peoria County, IL – home of Caterpillar.

2008 Election Results: Obama 54%, McCain 44%

Rock Island County, IL – home of John Deere.
2008 Election Results: Obama 62%, McCain 37%

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Obama and the unions won’t be happy untill we all look like Detroit…

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Hi Badger how are you. I have enough acres to grow my own. Acres in my backyard and acres in SD. I can feed myself and my family as can you. Its the urbanite Obama supporters that will starve and pay higher prices first. I can butcher my own.

dhunter on March 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Obama and the unions won’t be happy untill we all look like Detroit…

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Hartford will be Detroit soon enough. Insurance is to Hartford what auto is (was?) to Detroit.

But like the idiots in IL, the idiots in CT voted for Obama and Lieberman and Dodd. I will enjoy watching the city turn to a toxic dump.

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Peoria County, IL – home of Caterpillar.
2008 Election Results: Obama 54%, McCain 44%

Rock Island County, IL – home of John Deere.
2008 Election Results: Obama 62%, McCain 37%

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

BEST POST I’ve seen in a long time… You get the government you vote for, AND THEY VOTED FOR OBAMA!!

Khun Joe on March 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM

You know those rednecks; always clinging to their guns, bibles and tractors.
- Herr Professor Obama

MB4 on March 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Just wait until grocery stores raise their prices 15 to 20% to cover their increased costs. A typical store has about 80 employees.

As this bill knock about our economy over the next few years, inflation will most likely top 25%.

Repeal the bill.

Highplains on March 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Somehow I don’t think some of the O’s best friends will be happy about this. Things are going to get real ugly when his unions turn on him.

Alfresco on March 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Peoria County, IL – home of Caterpillar.
2008 Election Results: Obama 54%, McCain 44%

Rock Island County, IL – home of John Deere.
2008 Election Results: Obama 62%, McCain 37%

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

This includes several of my family members who are union employees at Caterpillar…well, were employees at Caterpillar.

Watching stupid people learn something is fun.(in this case, democrat voters).

daesleeper on March 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

The law could raise expenses for large U.S. employers.

Are these added higher costs of Obamacare limited to mfg, or will there also be an impact on sports teams (NFL, NBA, MLB), fast-food restaurant chains, grocery stores, department stores??

TN Mom on March 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I think it would be fun for the GOP to take up the motto “We’re gonna give it back!”

My brother is a salesman at a John Deere dealership here in Indiana.

Obama was quite cocky today (or was it yesterday) when he said to the GOP running on “Repeal the Bill” – go for it. Ok bucko, we will.

Obama has been out-played but he just doesn’t even know it yet. One thing he hasn’t counted on… Americans have had freedom, liberty, happiness, etc. It won’t be easy to make the USA look like Europe. Americans are digging in their heels and are going to say “I don’t think so.”

Oink on March 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Dark Star – so you despise Israel and the Palestinians the same? You obviously are more ignorant than I thought.

CWforFreedom on March 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM

dhunter on March 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Until they come for our property.
I am waiting for this.
In the meantime, we will certainly not starve or freeze to death.
We got wood & a wood stove.
I’m ready.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM

My brother is a salesman at a John Deere dealership here in Indiana.

Oink on March 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I am sorry. I hope your brother doesn’t get screwed over by this.
By grandma’s in Seymour-BTW.
I go back every summer to see here.
I love S. IN.

Badger40 on March 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Canopfor and DarkStar: please do your homework.
The Jews were in the area of palestine long before Mohammed the Maniac was born and it’s their land. The Muslims have brought this down on themselves commencing in the eighth century when they seized the land by force of arms. “Palestinians” are arabs and were forced into compliance with Islam by dint of terror. Indeed the Muslims have terrorized the entire region for centuries. Look up the Byzantine Empire (Christian) and the successor, the Ottoman Empire(Muslim). What do think the Crusades were all about? Reclamation of lost territory. If those arabs want peace all they have to do is stop killing but that is obviated by the book they use for indoctrination – the Koran. As a final point, if we hadn’t sold them the equipment you’re worried about, someone else would have.

LarryG on March 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM

CWforFreedom on March 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Keep assuring yourself of your superiority, wingnut elitist, maybe someday it’ll come true.

We just picked one side out of two that have rivers of blood on their hands. There was no ‘good’ choice; just one people-group that had less religious disagreements with us (Judaism vs. Islam).

For the military intelligence and bases they provide, the US ignore their various transgressions, props up the whole ****ing nation against aggressors on three sides, and unleashes a horde of unpaid advocates to shriek “ANTI-SEMITE!” at anyone who doesn’t think/say that they’re supposed to.

Dark-Star on March 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM

We get companies taking charges like this, and the leftys (and Paulnuts) want to blame free trade for companies leaving the country and want to further threaten to punish them if they try to do it.

Carrot, not stick.

JeffWeimer on March 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM

This is how Italy started out in 1929.

percysunshine on March 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Dark-Star on March 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM

A willing human shield is as much at fault as the gunman hiding behind him.

Slowburn on March 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM

My brother is a salesman at a John Deere dealership here in Indiana.

Oink on March 25, 2010 at 9:54 PM

You can bet that the “birds weren’t chirping” at these plants.
Obama thinks winning a battle wins the war…we will see.

right2bright on March 26, 2010 at 7:54 AM

How long before we hear:

“These aren’t Chinese tractors, these are Americans making tractors for Americans!”

cntrlfrk on March 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

A willing human shield is as much at fault as the gunman hiding behind him.

Slowburn on March 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM

+10,000
The best way I’ve ever heard it put.
Trolls need to read some real (not revisionist) history of these Arab Mulims.
Not only their religion, but their culture, foments unrest amongst their neighbors as well as each other.
Both are poisonous to the ideals of freedom & western society.
I could be content to let them fester in their own pot of pus, were it not for the fact that the Jews have a right to their homeland.
Liberals love a victim, as long as that victim does not rise up & defend themselves.
Thereafter, they are no longer the exploitable victim, but an enemy to be pursued & defamed.
I have made it a point to educate myself & study from ALL sources I can gather, the position of both sides.
And it is Islam that is the evil aggressor.
The Jews are tired of being victims.
God bless them.

Badger40 on March 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Badger40 on March 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Agreed. Dark-Star gave away his idiocy when he recited the ballad of St. Pancake.

PimFortuynsGhost on March 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM

ATT 1billion dollars as well. Obama is a F’n bully. He hats corporate America. He hates American industry. He priased China in 2008 for their rail line to no where, this guy is a chump. I can’t wait til he is dragged out of office. No dictatorship for you!!! This is America… RIGHT? Land of the Free? Right?

Can all the freedom loving Americans just move to Texas and say… COME AND TAKE IT?

James on March 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM