AEI fires David Frum?

posted at 6:01 pm on March 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

The working assumption is that they canned him for his “Waterloo” piece about ObamaCare and the GOP. Did they? Hmmm:

Frum made clear in a letter to AEI President Arthur Brooks that his departure after seven years at the conservative think tank was not voluntary. “I have had many fruitful years at the American Enterprise Institute,” he wrote, “and I do regret this abrupt and unexpected conclusion of our relationship.” AEI did not comment immediately.

In a brief interview, Frum said “there was no suggestion by AEI” that his sharp criticism of the GOP’s health-care strategy was the reason for his dismissal. He declined to say what Brooks had told him.

“They invited me to remain associated with AEI on a non-salaried basis,” Frum said, and he declined.

Reminds me of when a team doesn’t want to re-sign one of its free agents, but rather than risk the bad PR of simply walking away, they offer him a new contract with a pay cut so that he’ll feel insulted and walk away himself.

Then again, sometimes a pay cut is just a pay cut:

Frum says AEI president Brooks at lunch today actually lauded him for making so much noise with [the Waterloo] post.

“He said the thought might occur to me that this had to do with that,” Frum says. “He wanted to ally my anxieties on that score. He was very empatic.” Frum adds that Brooks said he “welcomed and celebrated” the debate he’d stirred up.

“He asked me if I’d like to work for AEI on a non salary basis,” Frum added. “He said it had nothing to do with my work and that after all these are hard times.”

Curiously, Frum didn’t mention any of that in his post announcing the AEI split. I’m inclined to think that it really is purely financial, if only because AEI surely knows how this looks coming so soon after the “Waterloo” column. If they didn’t have to do it for their bottom line, they’d have been much better off keeping him on staff for, say, six more months and then quietly letting him go. As it is, the left’s going to turn him into a conservative martyr — which, ironically, will be very good for Frum’s own bottom line. So, case closed? Nothing to see here? Not so fast. Here’s Bruce Bartlett, who’s become almost as relentless a critic of conservatives as Sullivan, on the split:

Since, he is no longer affiliated with AEI, I feel free to say publicly something he told me in private a few months ago. He asked if I had noticed any comments by AEI “scholars” on the subject of health care reform. I said no and he said that was because they had been ordered not to speak to the media because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

It saddened me to hear this. I have always hoped that my experience was unique. But now I see that I was just the first to suffer from a closing of the conservative mind. Rigid conformity is being enforced, no dissent is allowed, and the conservative brain will slowly shrivel into dementia if it hasn’t already.

Etc etc. All I can say is, I hope it’s not true. As irritating as Frum can be — and he can be very irritating — most of his policy positions, as far as I know, are reliably conservative. True, he’s a fan of RomneyCare, but then, er, so is the guy who’s at or near the top of the polls right now for the GOP nomination in 2012. And yes, I know, it’s predictable that a Chamberlain-esque RINO candy ass such as myself would defend a guy who whines about Rush Limbaugh at every opportunity, but Bartlett’s point about rigid conformity is well taken. Frum’s still a hawk, at last check; he was a McCain voter in 2008 and prefers market solutions in most cases, from what I know. He’s wrong about the GOP having mishandled O-Care and he’s annoying with his endless scolding of right-wing media, but hopefully it’s still possible to be a conservative who’s wrong (occasionally) and annoying (frequently) and nonetheless employable by a conservative think tank. Currently AEI has as a fellow one of the geniuses who helped craft McCain-Feingold. Ornstein’s conservative enough, but not David Frum?

And yes, of course, AEI should be free to employ whomever it wants. Doesn’t mean they should be free from criticism, though, assuming that the suspicions about their motive here are confirmed. Oh, and a reminder to the media, which is surely polishing Frum’s new halo as I write this: When it comes to excommunicating conservatives, he knows whereof he speaks.

Update: Like I was saying about that halo. From Frum’s Twitter feed

No, I am not going on Countdown tonight. They kindly invited me, but no.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is just terrible. David Frum had so many brilliant ideas as to how conservatives could gain future victories. Now we are reduced to just one source for this insightful information, Meagan McCain.

MB4 on March 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM

David Frum is to journalism as Milton Bradley is to baseball.

MayorDaley on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

OMG
OMG
I can’t breathe…

That right there is some funny-a** sh**!!!!

Doorgunner on March 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM

David who?

joe_doufu on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Too bad. He’s one of the few conservative Republicans who can’t seem to break his atavistic attachment to empirical reality.

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Yeah, yeah, we know your a post-pubescent with an education. Wipe your nose, kid.

pugwriter on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

LOL. I thought he was Andy Levy or Joel McHale.

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I dunno….Andy and Joel don’t strike me as exactly Betas… :p

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

By the way, this was needed.

rob verdi on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

NRO sure has whelped more than its fair share of backstabbing pseudo-conservative squishes.

And, judging from “The Agenda” and Ramesh Ponnuru + his amen corner, looks like another litter is on the way.

I mean really…Frum, Parker, Douhat, Buckley the Younger. And that’s just the ones I recall out of hand.

That Jay Nordlinger thing somebody mentioned upthread is pretty funny and…delusional. “David Frum has long been an MVP of American conservatism.” Huh? Really?

A Balrog of Morgoth on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Frum can be annoying sometimes but he’s smart.

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury…. I rest my case.

thomasaur on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

If that was related to his “waterloo” article, they made the right call. That article really is the limit. Besides, there are plenty of lefty organizations where he can drop hints of Republican demise, blame republicans for all ills in the world to his heart’s content.

runner on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

AEI would have been within its rights to let him go for supporting Tooth Fairy Care instead of this:

The Institute’s community of scholars is committed to expanding liberty, increasing individual opportunity, and strengthening free enterprise.

Or this, given the shoddy thinking in “Waterloo”:

AEI pursues these unchanging ideals through independent thinking, open debate, reasoned argument, and the highest standards of research and exposition.

Obama was never going to Republicans anything worth having. Including Strange New Respect.

Noel on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I wish Frum all the luck. Perhaps he’ll write an article about how Obama dumped Netanyahu for dinner

deidre on March 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

douthat aint so bad

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Branch Rickey on March 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Now, THAT made me chuckle. Thanks.

Bye, bye, Frumbelina. Dance.

Tennman on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

“give”

Noel on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I dunno….Andy and Joel don’t strike me as exactly Betas… :p

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Maybe this is Allah
???????????

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Isn’t it AMAZING how conservatives get zero credit for having these CINOs on their side exemplifying ideological diversity for years but as soon as one of them is fired, it is immediately branded as silencing dissent?

Speedwagon82 on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

A victim of “Dont Ask, Dont Tell” for RINOs

faraway on March 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Conservative movement to David Frum: “You’re fired!”

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Frum is on his way to David Brook’s place to compare the creases on their pants.

phreshone on March 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Criticise conservatism from the right and expect to be crapped on – by Frum, Ed Morrissey, Bartlett, whoever. There is rigid conformity only to stay within a certain pattern, which Frum does.

aengus on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You’re right to a degree and it’s a good point. Faithful conservatives are boxed out by centrists and center- rightists who get to decide when it’s proper to take an apolitical or measured tone, and what issues are too incendiary for “the movement” at large. That’s why we have this situation where no one darest raise legit COLB issues or worthy tax issues without someone on the right swooping in from the middle to squash it. Okay, that’s the way movements are sometimes, and because we’re rational and willing to compromise to acheive bigger things, we’re all more or less being forced along by history down a path where we average each other out. But too many conservatives are afraid not to hit the landing strip right down the middle, which is why we have squishes like McCain, Graham, and Frum. Conservatives are the ones who cede ground to incivility from soft tyrants much more often than these statist clowns cede any ground to originalism. We hear over and over that the pendulum will swing or that we must be the Sisyphus rolling the ball up the hill. But all our losses and principled civility simply add up to leftist “utopian” gains, leaving us all in a Constitutionally antithetical position from which the distance to recovery evermore creates the hothouse condtions from where we have to launch. Men like Frum are truly an obstacle and nothing more to get to where we need to be in order to beat back tyrranny and presevere freedom. Nothing would beat this insanity back better than certainty of purpose and the cooperation to project that certainty.

Western_Civ on March 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Maybe Parker can get “released to seek greener pastures” also? The bunch of them can go to Arizona and stare at their belly buttons with McShamnesty and gigantically obese daughter.

csdeven on March 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Maybe this is Allah
???????????

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Now, THAT makes a lot more sense! LOL (sorry AP, but that cracked me up)

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM

David Frume is to journalism as Milton Bradley is to baseball.

MayorDaley on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

That’s perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Mr. D on March 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Perhaps the mighty Allahpundit himself (PBUH) will post later on this very same subject.

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Chamberlain-esque RINO candy ass

The gift that keeps on giving. Few pejoratives have legs on both sides of the thin black line of irony, but this one still brings the lulz. ‘Twas well served and well returned.

spmat on March 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Call me crazy .I thought you had to be a conservative to work at a conservative think tank .My question is what took AEI so long to fire him?

thmcbb on March 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

He’s just a right-wing nut.

Colorado Anne on March 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM

thmcbb on March 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

What position exactly makes David Frum not a conservative?

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

He’s just a right-wing nut.

Colorado Anne on March 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM

He’s not right-wing and he has no nuts.

thomasaur on March 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I love it

FontanaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Another gift from Bush that keeps on giving.

Mr. Arrogant on March 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM

conservative martyr

LMFAO!!!! HAHHAHAHAHAAAHHAHHAHAAAA

*snorts*

*breathes*

Who thinks this guy is a martyr? HAHHAHHAHHA!

upinak on March 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Perhaps he and David Brooks can go crease Obama’s pants.

SouthernGent on March 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Will we have to wait long for this pseudo-elitist’s next tome?

I for could probably wait until next February 30th before I get anxious.

belad on March 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM

David Frume is to journalism as Milton Bradley is to baseball.

MayorDaley on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

As a Cub fan I can laugh now . . . last year? Not so much . . . now, yeah, that’s funny!

David Frum is to conservatism as Jim Wallis is to Biblical Christianity.

rebuzz on March 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I dunno….Andy and Joel don’t strike me as exactly Betas… :p

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Maybe this is Allah
???????????

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

yep

Colorado Anne on March 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Frum has been bitter and tried to “get his own back” against Republicans ever since he got fired from the Bush Administration for blabbing that he was the writer who invented the “axis of evil” phrase.

What a loser and a whiner.
Good riddance and about d*mn time!

Jenfidel on March 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

David Frum is to conservatism as. . .

. . .margarine is to butter.

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Maybe this is Allah
???????????

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

No, this is Allah.

csdeven on March 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Western_Civ on March 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Great reply. Thanks.

aengus on March 25, 2010 at 7:16 PM

David Frum is to conservatism is as Pam Anderson is to breasts.

rebuzz on March 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM

You keep using that word, “conservative”. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rebar on March 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

And while we’re at it

[FTA] He wanted to ally my anxieties on that score. He was very empatic.

Conservative or not, I believe we can agree that allying anxieties is best done empatically. (You know, to ally the anxieties of editors so they’ll remain your allays and stuff).

Barnestormer on March 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM

What position exactly makes David Frum not a conservative?

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Probably everything Frum and yourself agree upon…

…at least that is what Glenn Beck said.

daesleeper on March 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM

AEI is a fine asset. With friends like Frum, we don’t need enemies. Solly, chums, good freakin’ riddance, as far as I’m concerned.

If you want to see where this Dem Lite crap has gotten us for the last 30-50 years, just look at where we are now.

petefrt on March 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Frum is irrelvant and a bore. Good riddance.

Norwegian on March 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

If Frum wants to get back some conservative love he should have gone on Olberdouche and asked him where all the Tea Party N-word footage is.

Speedwagon82 on March 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Not to worry, I’m sure allahpundit will continue linking this “intellectual” at Frumforum whenever possible.

cs89 on March 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

They can be kind of embarrassing.

Narutoboy on March 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

as can country club blue bloods who love the smell of their ow farts.

or people who watch anime…

Ampersand on March 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Frum will be in high demand on the Left to decry the “calls for violence” and all that “incivility” on the Right. Adios David.

wraithby on March 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM

wraithby on March 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Indeed he will. Frum is the left’s Useful Idiot.

petefrt on March 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM

MB4 on March 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Oh man, that’s a good one! Thanks for the laugh. Oh, that was needed today.

NTWR on March 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM

The libs here are telling us how much they like and respect Frum… and Olbermann, who admits to never having on an opposition view point, invites him onto his show….

says a lot don’t ya think?

Frums consistent attacks on conservatives along with his desire to cleanse the party of people who want to cleanse the party paradoxical view point should be more than enough for a conservative group to ask him to exit stage left.

Ampersand on March 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM

The guys at AEI can’t be that bright or they would have fired this loser seven years ago.

bw222 on March 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I would have fired him, publicly; then have ten people write columns titled “Why Frum is Wrong I”,…, “Why Frum is Wrong X”

MeatHeadinCA on March 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

cs89 on March 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Someone has to make his arguments ;-)

MeatHeadinCA on March 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I Allah worried that Frum might replace him as Hot Air’s designated hand-wringing Palin scold?

Immolate on March 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Finally….Finally ………Finally I find out who David Frum is! Not as pretty or smart as Sarah..

Herb on March 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Can someone tell me why a liberal from Canada is relevant to American conservatives?

Just wonderin’…

angryed on March 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

good riddance
nuff said

DaMav on March 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why don’t the two of you start a joint blog, AP?

andycanuck on March 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why don’t the two of you start a joint blog, AP?

andycanuck on March 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

No need. Every one of Frump’s pieces are featured in the Headlines, as if he pays a placement fee.

Western_Civ on March 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

buh bye, rino.

BKeyser on March 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM

He’s like Politico, you’re never sure where he stands.

jeanie on March 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM

This is an interesting post for me as a HotAir reader in light of your recent endorsement of a Grover Norquist enterprise. I trust Michelle Malkin’s reporting. For me, Norquist is suspect. But I’m sure the recent sale of HotAir was not about rigid conformity, right?

FeFe on March 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Who’s David Frum?

Khun Joe on March 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM

When America Right on Sirius goes on commercial, I flip to “America” Left, just to hear the insanity. Thom whatever his name is..Hardman?…was making all over Frum yesterday: all Republicans should be like him, he’s voice of reason of the GOP, etc.

I threw up in my mouth. If “America” Left looooves you, you’re no conservative.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Allah -

Here’s a viral ad the DNC is running on your buddy Mitt Romney.

The DNC shouldn’t be dissing Mitt. If he is the nominee, real conservatives and Tea Party members will be totally turned off and the DNC will have tapes on Mitt refuting any stand he takes on any issue.

bw222 on March 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

A progressive and a law school major speaking of empirical reality. That is just way too funny. lol.

chemman on March 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

FeFe on March 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Just because Grover Noirquist has ties with Islamic extremists and is pro-amnesty you consider hime suspect? Boy, you’re tough!

bw222 on March 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Good riddance. The problem with Frum isn’t so much his views, but that lately he’s been playing into the hands of a ruthless opponent. At nearly every opportunity. Liberals always pretend to be the “adult in the room,” because adults in relations with children get to exercise unfettered authority and even mend out carnal punishment, which matches their inclination. Frum’s persistent, and often quite condescending berating of the conservative movement does nothing but help advance the liberal cause.

The value of criticism is situational. Either Frum doesn’t understand that or he’s yet another doggone RINO.

year_of_the_dingo on March 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

AP, Sometimes you can be so eloquent!

aigle on March 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Frum worked at a think tank? LOL!

BetseyRoss on March 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Goodbye, RINO squish. We got to purge you before you could get to us.

SurferDoc on March 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Will someone kindly send me some Charmin so that I might properly acknowledge my angst at the Frumster’s abrupt and unexpected departure?

Gohawgs on March 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM

who is davdid frum???????????

moonbatkiller on March 25, 2010 at 8:59 PM

…and I am supposed to give a rats a$$….beacause…..why?

boo fargin hoo.

seeya dood.

exsanguine on March 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Finally a Frum article I enjoyed reading.

edshepp on March 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Farewell Dave…….HAHAHAHAHAHA!

jerrytbg on March 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM

As one who actually occasionally peruses the AEI site, I will try to explain to Allahpundit why I believe the think tank doesn’t want Frum.

I am not aware that AEI enforces ideological conformity. I have never thought of Norman Ornstein as a conservative. However, if you look at the list of scholars, it generally includes people who are responsible for original ideas and analysis. Brooks himself is an obvious polymath. Charles Murray and others produce a lot of intellectual output.

What original thoughts is Frum responsible for? None that I know. Perhaps AP can enlighten us.

Here’s what Ace says:

I have a somewhat different take on Frum. I notice that Frum is not actually terribly policy-oriented or policy-informed. He is not a wonk. Or, if it is, he seems to hide it well enough on his blog. I don’t see a lot of deep policy analysis on his site.

I completely agree with Ace. Frum is all attitude, nothing more.

chris999 on March 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Who but Allahpundit gives a rats arse why this lightweight was fired? It should have happened long ago. Any “think tank” that points to people like Frum as one of their “thought leaders” is not much of a think tank.

TheBigOldDog on March 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

frum is a conservative? Who knew? News to me.

Note to Allah just because you are a “hawk” and believe in the free market does not make one a conservative. Up unitl about 25 years ago that described most of the dem party. Frum is a roosevelt democrat maybe on a good day a Reagan democrate but he is not and never has he been a conservative. frum quakes at the thought of the Fed gov going back to the principles of the consitution

unseen on March 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

As I’ve been asking for many a moon… who is Frum’s audience? AEI understands that he has no audience.

As one inches towards the center, one leaps away from either audience. Moderates are not hungry to read other people imploring us to be moderate.

Reminds me of that guy on CSI (or Law & Order or whatever) who started that organization for people in the middle… not realizing that very few people get excited about not really believing in much… that they join other non-enthusiasts in being noncommittal.

mankai on March 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Spare me. You wouldn’t know empirical reality if it ran you over in the street.

And as far as Frum goes, Arthur Brooks has forgotten more about empirical reality than Frum has ever known. Good riddance, I only wonder what took him so long.

Barlett and Frum are either incredibly ignorant or a first-class liars, probably both. AEI has had plenty to say about health-care reform and none of it “agrees with what Obama is trying to do”:

Obamacare Is Rotten to the Core. Yeah, sounds like AEI really “agrees too much with what Obama is trying to do”.

Barlett’s a tiresome phony who gives himself away by putting the word “scholars” in parentheses when referring to AEI. What, does he think AEI ordered their people not to go on Olbermann’s show, or CBS Evening News, or get invited to write a guest editorial in the Times? As if they are ever invited to share their views at any of those venues with more than a two second soundbite or quote. Please.

Dreadnought on March 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Real conservatives get raises, not cuts. See Rush Limbaugh.

BDavis on March 25, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Dreadnought on March 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Bartlett and Frum are quite the pair. Right. What scholar wouldn’t find a lot of agreement with a policy that adds a new entitlement (insuring 32 million new people) to the existing medicare and social security entitlements which currently amount to 100 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities? No brainer!

chris999 on March 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM

AEI: Got a saint David candle? Want one?

Speakup on March 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

My take on Frum is that his ideas are probably why the GOP lost the elections in 2006 and 2008. Many of his opinions wanted Republicans to be more like Democrats, in many areas. It was trying to be Democrate Lite that got Republicans beat, along with the press and Democrats playing the “Culture of Corruption” game. Notice that the press is avoiding that, with the Democrats little culture of corruption thing going?

Anyway, I think Frum’s bottom line was he wants Republicans to be Democrat lite and thinks that’s a winning strategy, still. Sorry, that’s the quickest way to hit rock bottom.

bflat879 on March 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM

But…but…but what about the “new majority”? He is Frumby da^^n it!

Hooray for AEI!

Liberty is not something to be bargained away incrementally or surrendered to tyrants no matter the direction of the prevailing political winds.

DeathB4Tyranny on March 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I am only vaguely aware that David Frum is someone who is mocked openly and often so…..one less target bummer ;)

Dr Evil on March 25, 2010 at 11:05 PM

They gave him the Ol’ Yeller treatment.

Bluecaper on March 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Why does Frum think he is a conservative? Who were the conservatives in the Bush administration? Which of the Bushies were opposed to big government ideas?

Kjeil on March 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Expect to see him at Huffpo.

Star20 on March 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I feel bad for Frum, Bartlett, AEI…..

Frum: His usefulness to the MSM has now increased manifold – if he was a true conservative, he is going to look like a fish out of water – but if he was a conservative of convenience he is going to look like a tool.

Either way , he is toast.

Bartlett: It has now become very personal for him – i once thought that his criticism of Bush era policies was more on philosophical and policy grounds than personal grounds.

If he really was committed to conservative policies, nothing about this HCR bill, the way it was pushed against the wishes of a majority, the number of traditions and principles it broke, not to mention the enormous corruption that it is addled with.. I could go on and on but IF THIS IS WHAT is required to push Obamacare, Bartlett can buy himself a rope.

AEI: No matter how Frum diverged from AEI’s stance on healthcare, IF ITS TRUE that they were trying to silence AEI scholars who basically agreed with Romneycare…er.. Obamacare, then they have taken a HUGE HIT to their credibility.

Biggest winner in all this is the Obama-MSM axis. Nice job Frum, Bartlett, AEI.

nagee76 on March 26, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out…

gdonovan on March 26, 2010 at 5:40 AM

So AEI really supports RomneyCare/ObamaCare…. Well, time for them to go away. And Romney a leading candidate? I’m sorry, but he’s McCain with hair and now war record.

Romney would really be an unfortunate choice (as was McCain and EVERYONE KNEW IT). The progressives have clearly demonstrated to the American public who they are and what they are seeking. To run another “big government” candidate when the level of support by voters presents a unique opportunity truly roll back some of the crap that has been put in place over the last 50-75 years.

CC

CapedConservative on March 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Bartlett’s lamentation about intellectual orthodoxy should be taken with a grain of salt. He’s made a career of pandering to press stereotypes of Republicans, with little regard for substantive consistency. Bartlett’s been the opponent of those who sought to dissect MSM policy bias, not the friend.

Bartlett’s stock in trade is just to attack Republicans; it’s a pose. He argues for raising taxes to fund higher and higher entitlement spending, hardly a conservative position. While a good conservative can oppose the prescription drug benefit signed by President Bush, it’s hypocritical of Bartlett to attack it as a “betrayal” when GWB did exactly what he campaigned on doing (like many who voted for President Obama, Bartlett seems shocked when elected officials actually follow through on their campaign promises). And when President Bush did try to tackle a tough policy issue (Social Security reform), Bartlett couldn’t find time to intellectually support the effort, he spent his time whining about how the effort should have been run out of the Treasury department (Hotair readers can opine on how great an idea that would have been).

Bartlett actually likes orthodoxy and rigid conformity. He just likes it on the left.

Chuckles3 on March 26, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Frum isn’t a conservative and doesn’t represent conservative views. He deserved the boot.

zoyclem on March 26, 2010 at 7:33 AM