AEI fires David Frum?

posted at 6:01 pm on March 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

The working assumption is that they canned him for his “Waterloo” piece about ObamaCare and the GOP. Did they? Hmmm:

Frum made clear in a letter to AEI President Arthur Brooks that his departure after seven years at the conservative think tank was not voluntary. “I have had many fruitful years at the American Enterprise Institute,” he wrote, “and I do regret this abrupt and unexpected conclusion of our relationship.” AEI did not comment immediately.

In a brief interview, Frum said “there was no suggestion by AEI” that his sharp criticism of the GOP’s health-care strategy was the reason for his dismissal. He declined to say what Brooks had told him.

“They invited me to remain associated with AEI on a non-salaried basis,” Frum said, and he declined.

Reminds me of when a team doesn’t want to re-sign one of its free agents, but rather than risk the bad PR of simply walking away, they offer him a new contract with a pay cut so that he’ll feel insulted and walk away himself.

Then again, sometimes a pay cut is just a pay cut:

Frum says AEI president Brooks at lunch today actually lauded him for making so much noise with [the Waterloo] post.

“He said the thought might occur to me that this had to do with that,” Frum says. “He wanted to ally my anxieties on that score. He was very empatic.” Frum adds that Brooks said he “welcomed and celebrated” the debate he’d stirred up.

“He asked me if I’d like to work for AEI on a non salary basis,” Frum added. “He said it had nothing to do with my work and that after all these are hard times.”

Curiously, Frum didn’t mention any of that in his post announcing the AEI split. I’m inclined to think that it really is purely financial, if only because AEI surely knows how this looks coming so soon after the “Waterloo” column. If they didn’t have to do it for their bottom line, they’d have been much better off keeping him on staff for, say, six more months and then quietly letting him go. As it is, the left’s going to turn him into a conservative martyr — which, ironically, will be very good for Frum’s own bottom line. So, case closed? Nothing to see here? Not so fast. Here’s Bruce Bartlett, who’s become almost as relentless a critic of conservatives as Sullivan, on the split:

Since, he is no longer affiliated with AEI, I feel free to say publicly something he told me in private a few months ago. He asked if I had noticed any comments by AEI “scholars” on the subject of health care reform. I said no and he said that was because they had been ordered not to speak to the media because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

It saddened me to hear this. I have always hoped that my experience was unique. But now I see that I was just the first to suffer from a closing of the conservative mind. Rigid conformity is being enforced, no dissent is allowed, and the conservative brain will slowly shrivel into dementia if it hasn’t already.

Etc etc. All I can say is, I hope it’s not true. As irritating as Frum can be — and he can be very irritating — most of his policy positions, as far as I know, are reliably conservative. True, he’s a fan of RomneyCare, but then, er, so is the guy who’s at or near the top of the polls right now for the GOP nomination in 2012. And yes, I know, it’s predictable that a Chamberlain-esque RINO candy ass such as myself would defend a guy who whines about Rush Limbaugh at every opportunity, but Bartlett’s point about rigid conformity is well taken. Frum’s still a hawk, at last check; he was a McCain voter in 2008 and prefers market solutions in most cases, from what I know. He’s wrong about the GOP having mishandled O-Care and he’s annoying with his endless scolding of right-wing media, but hopefully it’s still possible to be a conservative who’s wrong (occasionally) and annoying (frequently) and nonetheless employable by a conservative think tank. Currently AEI has as a fellow one of the geniuses who helped craft McCain-Feingold. Ornstein’s conservative enough, but not David Frum?

And yes, of course, AEI should be free to employ whomever it wants. Doesn’t mean they should be free from criticism, though, assuming that the suspicions about their motive here are confirmed. Oh, and a reminder to the media, which is surely polishing Frum’s new halo as I write this: When it comes to excommunicating conservatives, he knows whereof he speaks.

Update: Like I was saying about that halo. From Frum’s Twitter feed

No, I am not going on Countdown tonight. They kindly invited me, but no.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Where do send the card and flowers?

Sharke on March 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Bye Canadian turd.

tetriskid on March 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

There goes a true conservative.

Narutoboy on March 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Told ya, Frum ain’t no conservative…

d1carter on March 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

see ya..

dangitt on March 25, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Good riddance to bad trash.

abobo on March 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

AEI has been schizophrenic for the past decade. I’m actually surprised Frum isn’t running the place.

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Who cares? It is not like anybody paid attention to him except for the people wanting a contrary Republican voice.

duggersd on March 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

oh, boohoo, same fate as other RINOs this coming november.

jbh45 on March 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

“Strange new respect.”

AUINSC on March 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Go tell the Dems how to be moderate. Sucka.

Cicero43 on March 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Maybe these things happen in threes.

Christien on March 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

ouch

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Frum is not a conservative; he is a crazy, ego- and anger-driven neoliberal Bush administration reject. The NRO crew (even Jay Nordlinger, heartache) is out in full force defending him today. Well, they’d probably defend David brooks, too.

And who has paid any attention to Bruce Bartlett since he aligned himself with Frum? Nobody.

DaydreamBeliever on March 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM

socialists.

so much heart-ache today.

sesquipedalian on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

IF AEI is leaning liberal, it was a split for the better. We need to keep vigilant…and call out any so called conservatives, and expose them. This behind the doors antics of liberal conservatives has to be outted.

capejasmine on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The most despicable thing about Frum is his Jane Fonda-like appearances on liberal media outlets trashing conservatives. The guy is so desperate for attention that he let’s himself be used.

Mark1971 on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

It’s really a class issue. All of the critics of conservatism from within the Republican tent have been the highly-educated, Eastern (or Canadian) blue-blood types who just hate sharing the party with hicks from middle America (who make up the Tea Party movement). That’s why they yearn for an end to the era of Reagan…the era of Reagan was spawned by blue collar outrage over the direction of the country. Sound familiar?

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

sesquipedalian on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Yes! And it began when you logged in!

capejasmine on March 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Good Lord, I would hope conservative think tanks have higher standards than this.

Erich66 on March 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Dead RINO Walking…..

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his conservative-intellectual bone-fides. In the few times I’ve read him ( usually a screed against so called rigid conservatism) he doesn’t make any interesting intellectual points…his attacks are superficial…he doesn’t like the optics of Conservatism.

AUINSC on March 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Mark1971 on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

And I’m sad to say, Mona Charon is blind to it.

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Yeah, he’s become way too much of a johnny one-note. Like I say, annoying.

Allahpundit on March 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Watch him run over to Brookings.

Christien on March 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Here is a good opportunity to expand that republican big tent by recruiting moderates, and disgruntled democrats. All they have to do is disavow the conservatives who will have no where to go.

They could combine this with the effort to ‘rebrand’ the republican party into the centrist party. McCain and Graham can show them how to carve out a 51% majority from the middle and marginalize the extremists on both side of the issues.

We’ll have peace in our time, for all time.

Skandia Recluse on March 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

who just hate sharing the party with hicks from middle America
Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

They can be kind of embarrassing.

Narutoboy on March 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

He’d still be overcharging them at that rate…

Branch Rickey on March 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

You’re insulting Johnny One Note with the comparison.

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Did Rush or Fox News make the call?

Mr. Joe on March 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Frum was supposed to be on Countdown with Keith Olbermann but now it appears he canceled. Weird.

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

When you read/hear a self-professed Conservative trashing Conservatives, it’s a reasonable assumption to question what they mean by the word, “conservative” in relationship to themselves.

A lot of Liberals play this game. Many of us voters — who are Conservatives — have lost patience with it. So I say, great, so long, Frum, and take Brooks with you.

There are a number of people such as these two (Frum and Brooks) and they’re easily distinguished from Conservatives by what they write/opine.

Lourdes on March 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Oh, and guess what…he’s on Olbermann tonight.

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

most of his policy positions, as far as I know, are reliably conservative.

You keep using that word, “conservative”. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rebar on March 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

socialists.

so much heart-ache today.

sesquipedalian on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

If socialism is so good, why do you and yours resent the term?

Schadenfreude on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I hear the IRS is hiring…

Seven Percent Solution on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

No, the two didn’t fit together at all. His name stuck out like a sore thumb on their roster, he had no business there.

Frum is not a Conservative, since when is turning your back on those who relentlessly attack your movement and its leaders a sign of a rigid mind? The rigid person here is David Frum, his claws are always out when it comes to his “own”.

Daemonocracy on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Ornstein is bunks(or bunked) with Al Franken…

Anyway, it’s obvious Frum was canned… it had nothing to do with his positions, it had everything to do with his tenor… his points could have been made and gotten attention without Robert Gibbs passing it around gleefully …

ninjapirate on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Well the Daily Beast can always use another RINO.

Lance Murdock on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Don’t see what the problem is. AEI was just offering to pay Frum what he was worth.

GarandFan on March 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Frum’s problem isn’t that he’s not conservative enough. There are plenty of not-that-conservative figures that conservatives like (Scott Brown being the most famous recent example).

Frum’s problem is that he spends the majority of his time making superficial jabs at conservatives. There isn’t even anything substantive there to argue with him over. He’s childish, annoying, and has his water pistol pointed in the wrong direction.

BadgerHawk on March 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

He’ll be the new Howard Phillips, making a good living telling liberal at MSNBC and PBS exactly what they want to hear.

mesquito on March 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I never would have guessed that Frum was a member of a think tank let alone a conservative one. It’s hard to comprehend that it took them so long to finally can him.

FloatingRock on March 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM

He’s this decade’s David Brock. Massive cash infusion for a new left wing stooge group headlined by Frum from Jorge Soros in 3…2…1..

Western_Civ on March 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM

There goes a true conservative.

Narutoboy on March 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I hope you’re being sarcastic.

Richard Romano on March 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Now that hes is free , he can go places
like the HuffPo, maybe Media Matters , or how about CAP ?

macncheez on March 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Frum’s still a hawk

So was JFK….

FloatingRock on March 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

If Romney hire’s Frum, he’ll lose my support.

Lance Murdock on March 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Frum fired.

AP hit hardest.

Knucklehead on March 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

and from drudge….. es similare, no?

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Yeah, makes AEI look good.

Frum is dead weight.

Spirit of 1776 on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

As it is, the left’s going to turn him into a conservative martyr…

Wait, Frum’s a conservative? When did that happen?

/sarcasm

Midas on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Frum emailed me once. I’m not used to getting replies when I email. Because of that I always feel like I should defend him.

Mostly I don’t read him.

I don’t really have a problem with decent and I am feeling quite a lot in common with RINOs. We need them to get rid of Obama.

When you are the party in power it is fine to be critical of each other. When your country is being attacked from within it is be more productive to attack the common enemy than people who agree with you on most things.

So on that scale Frum is both a victim and an offender.

petunia on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Tokyo Frum

faraway on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Ornstein’s conservative enough, but not David Frum?

It isn’t about who’s “conservative” or not (at least as far as policy goes). Frum’s policies, to the extent that he has any, are generally conservative… and so are Michael Steele’s.

Frum’s problem is that he is explicitly not on “our team”. He claims to have whatever conservative policies, but he undermines the practical mechanisms for actually implementing those policies through his continuous and conspicuous friendly fire. And, like Steele and McCain, his “not on our team” aura is compounded because he is willing to trot himself out as the “reasonable martyr” against those rightwing freaks to MSNBC: feeding a narrative that has never and will never further the goals of conservative governance.

Lehosh on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I don’t agree that Bartlett’s point about rigid conformity is well taken. We’re only expected to cut someone slack when they criticise conservatism from a moderate or left-wing angle. Criticise conservatism from the right and expect to be crapped on – by Frum, Ed Morrissey, Bartlett, whoever. There is rigid conformity only to stay within a certain pattern, which Frum does.

aengus on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Frum can be annoying sometimes but he’s smart.

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Well, let’s see, the folks at AEI were o-care supporters which makes it reasonable to assume they sympathetic to Frum overall. So it doesn’t seem far fetched, that this was a mutual decision, AEI lightens the load on itself and gives Frum an opportunity to make even more money being the medias useful idiot. Regardless, after hearing that AEI were supporters of o-care, i doubt i’ll be taking them very seriously in the future.

clearbluesky on March 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Allah is only defending Frum because Frum is his true identity.

Joe Caps on March 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I resign. Oh btw, please don’t toss the crap in my office out in the street until I have a chance to pick it up. Yes, I have poor planning skills for not packing up my junk first.

Sincerely,

GnuBreed on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Oh, and guess what…he’s on Olbermann tonight.

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Perfect. He’s going all-in then.

AUINSC on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

This is funny: Olbermann is being rejected by Frum

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

This is funny: Olbermann is being rejected by Frum

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Whiplash! Ok, he still has some self-respect left, I see.

AUINSC on March 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Badger, you got it exactly right. I can deal with an open tent, it’s the people who walk in and their claim to fame is trashing you and yours when they walk outside the tent.

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Perhaps Olby told him about the bathtub trick?

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Too bad. He’s one of the few conservative Republicans who can’t seem to break his atavistic attachment to empirical reality.

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Dude.

You can’t be in favor of socialism and be a conservative at the same time.

Man, these intellectuals can sure be stupid sometimes.

peacenprosperity on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

aengus on March 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

It’s an exclusive club with rules.

a capella on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

This is funny: Olbermann is being rejected by Frum

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

they are just haggling over money now.

faraway on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Over at AoS: This Frumstain doesn’t wash out.

bikermailman on March 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Frum is spinning this. AEI asked Frum to _stay_. AEI praised Frum for criticizing the GOP on health care. Who says so? Frum says so:

PrestoPundit on March 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

so much heart-ache today.

sesquipedalian on March 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

You know, I dunno… a little stream of consciousness; whatev…

It has been asserted -by mgmt.-, here, that we discuss, we argue -in the classic manner (although many, present addressee esp. are ill-equipped) but foremost we engage in no advocacy of violence. Yeah, sure… most reasonable. Okey-freakin’-dokey.

It ain’t exactly how I earn anybody’s tax dollars, though. And hey, there’s that tradition of non-political engagement in my line o’ work.

Mr. Sesquipedickbeater, though, you an’ I ain’t likey to ever meet – and anyway I got to leave real soon and deal with one of my C-in-C’s not-exactly-the-truth-per-se campaign promises for the next “400 or less” days…

but, um, you know by about that time I’m done with that … I, and someone a lot like you, might just meet in the street… in a confrontational manner…

Heh. Alright.

Doorgunner on March 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Still a hawk, at last check; he was a McCain voter in 2008 and prefers market solutions in most cases, from what I know.

Quite the conservative bona fides. Give me a friggin break.

JeffinOrlando on March 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

As it is, the left’s going to turn him into a conservative martyr

Among who/whom? The other whiney squishy conservatives who fall all over themselves telling the social conservatives to shut up and stop worrying about all that morals stuff?

Anyone else wonder why it’s always the social conservatives who are expected to be open & accepting of the mindthink of the squishes but never the other way?

katiejane on March 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

This is funny: Olbermann is being rejected by Frum

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Whiplash! Ok, he still has some self-respect left, I see.

AUINSC on March 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Nah, he’ll just wait a while, he knows how bad it would look for him to go running to olby right away.

clearbluesky on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Frum fired.

AP hit hardest.

Knucklehead on March 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Heh.

di butler on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Frum still believes in an axis of evil, but unfortunately it is Rush, Levin, and Palin.

Mr. Joe on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

AP IS FRUM

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Frum drummed-
Back-stabbing weasels for hire hardest hit.

jjshaka on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Aw.AP and David need to get a room.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Frum can be annoying sometimes but he’s smart.

terryannonline on March 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

LOL. It figures. Why am I not surprised?

A Balrog of Morgoth on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

David Frume is to journalism as Milton Bradley is to baseball.

MayorDaley on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

BTW, there was a great exchange between Pamela at Atlas Shrugs and Bruce Bartlett… both Pam and Bruce seem to have rather abrasive personalities… it was over whether it was worthy to note that Neda may have been a Christian… most news sources cut off the cross necklace around her neck…

ninjapirate on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I’m guessing the AEI’s bank account is hurting like everyone else’s — they asked Frum to stay at AEI as a fellow or whatever his status there is, but they told him they couldn’t continue paying him a fat salary to be a fellow.

How many unpaid “fellows” are their in the world, anyway, a million? Frum certainly wouldn’t be the first.

“AEI fellow” has got to be down the list like number 4 or 5 among Frum’s occupations — he writes books, runs a web site, writes for various publications.

PrestoPundit on March 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Don’t matter, we still don’t want him back north of the 49th.

We have enough lunatics. kthxbye.

Jim708 on March 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Maybe the Daily Caller will throw him a bone…

mjbrooks3 on March 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

HAHAHAHA, what a shame.
Frankly without AP nobody would know who Frum is.

exceller on March 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Aw.AP and David need to get a room.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM

whys that

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Gotta give him points for turning down Olby tonight but still, who cares? The ‘Cuse game is coming on and I have to focus.

JammieWearingFool on March 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29

You don’t have to waste your time with all those big words. You can still be wrong in half the time if you just stick with your usual MO.

BadgerHawk on March 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Agree with “ababo” . . . good riddance to bad rubbish.

rplat on March 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Lata, doucher.

RedNewEnglander on March 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

crr6 on March 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Ah, the Empiricists. Locke, Berkley, Hume…

Please, if you will, in quantitative fashion , cite for us all the current social welfare Federal programs that demonstrate the future viability of ‘Obamacare’. For extra credit perform a “compare and contrast” against very recent announcements of the Social Security program’s impending consistent programmatic deficit.

We’ll wait.

Doorgunner on March 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I hear the IRS is hiring…

Seven Percent Solution on March 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

They only have to look for unemployed ACORN workers. Quota meant.

Electrongod on March 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

AP IS FRUM

blatantblue on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

LOL. I thought he was Andy Levy or Joel McHale.

portlandon on March 25, 2010 at 6:38 PM

clearbluesky on March 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Exactly right.

Jim-Rose on March 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Frum and his ilk (Brooks) do our cause no good. If they can’t intellectually explain (you know because they are soooo much smarter than the rest of the country) to the elitist class why there is so much opposition to the statist in power, than what good are they to the conservative movement? In fact, they just supply egotistical fodder for the left. I say good riddance and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Have fun over there with the daily kooks!

texgal on March 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Tunku Varadarajan’s article yesterday on the Polite Company Conservative nailed he Frum’s role in the left’s view of conservatism. While I absolutely agree that Frum should be allowed to spout whatever he likes, there’s no obligation for AEI to give their imprimatur to someone who is regarded more highly on the left than on the right.

No doubt he’ll still be a darling of the left as long as his view of conservatism remains “hair shirt conservatism” but if I were responsible for managing AEI’s brand I wouldn’t want it on his work.

For intellectual diversity I’d prefer to have a liberal on staff to challenge one’s views, rather than a Scott McLellan type whose nearly-sole purpose is to provide fodder for the left.

SoRight on March 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I read this in the times and I posted this there, I rather like this comment:

If the GOP hadn’t fought tooth and nail the bill would have been more left wing and ended up with a veneer of Bi-partisanship, so good work to all of us who against the odds took on the Democrats who had a 70 vote majority in the House, 20 seats in the senate ,a friendly media, the pharmaceutical industry, the unions, the Presidency, and in the face of all that they delayed passage of a bill that was supposed to be law last spring, and a bill that the left by its own admission considers lacking. In the face of the most incredible lies and smeers\, in the face, of derision and contempt we fought to the last full measure and won the argument. See you in November.

rob verdi on March 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I have to agree with his Waterloo article to an extent. I would go further and lay the blame for Obamacare on the fact that the GOP did squat to reform healthcare on their watch, and left the door open for Commie care. The GOP cannot do much of anything without being labeled RINO,Progressive, whatever. I would have damn sure preferred a compromise bill that would have subsidized the poor over this giant step towards Socialism. What will Republicans do if they win the next couple of cycles?Stand around with their thumb up their azz because they are terrified of Beck, or lead the country?
Every issue that the GOP fails to show leadership on will give ammo to the Dems to transform America as radically as they can get away with.

Southernblogger on March 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM