Video: 3 reasons why ObamaCare won’t reduce the deficit

posted at 12:15 pm on March 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Nick Gillespie at Reason TV manages to explain in just over two minutes why Americans should put no trust in Barack Obama’s claim that ObamaCare will reduce the federal deficit.  First, the “doctor fix” has already been scored as a deficit buster, and Democrats had to promise it to get the AMA to support ObamaCare.  Second, the inevitable higher premiums will increase costs in the system faster than anyone predicts, as Massachusetts demonstrated after its own health-care reform.  Third … who believes government cost projections, anyway?

For those too young to remember, the theme music and imagery come from the 1970s television series Emergency!, which made momentary stars out of Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe, the latter of whom has had a better career as a character actor playing heavies in John Sayles’ films, especially Matewan and Eight Men Out.  The series was one of Jack Webb’s projects showing first responders in dramatic situations, along the same lines as Dragnet and Adam-12.  Unfortunately, the budget emergency has been obvious for a long time, but the first responders in this situation insist on throwing gasoline on the fire.

Comments

Wasn’t the name of the show Emergency One?

I remember that show, I loved the four alarmers–you could tell how big the fire or disaster was by the sound of the alarm. I also watched Adam-12 and played with my Evel Kneivel stunt cycle.

old school

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Kevin Tighe was also a good guy in ROADHOUSE..

originalpechanga on March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

We already knew this bho lied about the whole thing. No way in heck it will reduce any deficit.
L

letget on March 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Randolph Mantooth…that’s a great name!

catmman on March 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Stupid, whiney conservatives! Take your socialism with dignity, damn it! You will learn to love serfdom. This is a big f**king deal!!!!

BPD on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

this show went off air around the time Dukes of Hazzard started coming out.

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Wasn’t the name of the show Emergency One?

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Nope, it was Emergency!

Ed Morrissey on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

It was never about cost, care, or the uninsured. The purpose of passing this legislation was to interject the federal government into every citizen’s life at every step.

daesleeper on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

The best character on Emergency! was Chet.

Mark1971 on March 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM

So far in fiscal 2010 the national debt has increased $754 billion. Now at $12.663 trillion. Obama is trying to outdo his record set in fiscal 2009.

Dasher on March 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Jesse Jackson Jr. (the US Rep, not the Rev) was on 890 AM in Chicago and admitted other social programs will have to be cut due to funding issues because of ObamaCare. How can that be when ObamaCare will CUT the deficit???

The Dems are admitting the truth now that the bill has been signed.

WashJeff on March 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

No matter what the injury was in “Emergency”, the first thing that Randolph did was demand epinephrine and D5W.

Every single time, whether it was a car-accident trauma or a kid with a twisted ankle.

Bishop on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Nope, it was Emergency!

Ed Morrissey on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Rampart Base this is Rescue 51

thomasaur on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I think the show did use the “Emergency One” title when independent stations started showing reruns.

Mark1971 on March 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Here is the key Jesse Jackson Jr. quote:

there’s probably going to have to be a significant reform of other social programs as the federal government assumes more responsibility for the health care of the nation’s people there are other social programs that are probably going to undermine some element of social cohesion. There’s no doubt about that. I can’t give you an example.

WashJeff on March 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

The show was called Emergency One when it ran in syndication, but it was Emergency in first run.

If your house is on fire and the likes of Chet Kelly shows up, you’re in trouble.

calabrese on March 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Nope, it was Emergency!

Ed Morrissey on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Emergency One” – USA (syndication title)

I remember the “1″ that fades out during the opening credits and probably called it that… good nostalgia. Loved that show.

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The best character on Emergency! was Chet.

Mark1971 on March 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM

‘Chet’ was great in ‘Weird Science’, too. ;)

Midas on March 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM

The usual government cost overruns are around 600-800% of estimates. Therefore (unless the teeth of the bill-mandatory purchase-is ruled unconstitutional by a 5-4 SC vote) the ultimate costs (estimates at 950 billion) will be closer to a nation-busting 7.5 trillion.

MaiDee on March 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM

WashJeff on March 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

JJ JR. said ‘reform’, not cuts. In Dem lingo, ‘reform’ means either a new program or expansion of an existing one, either/both of which invariably include and require more taxation.

Liam on March 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Ringer’s lactate.

calabrese on March 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Bishop on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

that was back in the good ol’ days when a heart attack and diabetic shock got the same treatment—and they always lived!

I think they also got kitties out of trees too.

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Don’t forget the wringers lactate…It was called Emergency One in syndication, so you are both right.

soozer47 on March 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Go to 1:13 in the video above and pause the photo.

There is your President Obama through 2016 image,
if Romney is the GOP candidate.

Lockstein13 on March 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM

The usual government cost overruns are around 600-800% of estimates.

MaiDee on March 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I think you are lowballing this one. Unfortunately, we will not see any cost increases for a few years helping to mask the true cost. second decade is when it will really kick in.

Johnnyreb on March 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM

theme song. this will take you back.

katy on March 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM

That was a great show. My whole family used to watch that together. And don’t forget Nurse Julie McCall.

bookman on March 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM

The video illustrates why Mr. Durban uses the language he does.

tomas on March 24, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Obama, the House, and the Senate. What do I win?

LibTired on March 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM

No one mentions how Mass. kicked 30,000 people off the health care rolls.
They were poor legal immigrants to boot but Since Deval Patrick is a liberal golden boy like Obama the media didn’t say boo.

Adios.

In what is largely seen as a foreshadowing of what is potentially to come on a national plane, Massachusetts has abandoned 30,000 legal immigrants that were otherwise eligible for the state’s universal coverage.

NeoKong on March 24, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Now to be included on all GM vehicles.

Electrongod on March 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Only someone in government can believe a deficit can be reduced by spending money that has to be borrowed in the first place.

If a person needs a loan that puts him $100 over his budget each month for a used car, but instead goes $250 a month over budget to instead buy a brand new one, how is his deficit reduced?

Oh, I know! This is the same as getting a 3% increase for school lunches when wanting 6%, yet saying the program was ‘cut’. I guess the Dems would have preferred a $3 trillion deficit but settled in $1.2 trillion. So abracadra–deficit reduction!

Liam on March 24, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Awwwwww….the humanity. But, aren’t we all “legal immigrants”…did they mean illegal?

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Bishop on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I still have no idea what D5W and RInger’s Lactate are, but I’ll never forget them.

Scott P on March 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Ah, Saturday nights – Emergency at 8, Love Boat at 9, then Fantasy Island at 10 (which I couldn’t stay up to watch).

I think Hee Haw was on at 7, too. For some reason I always remember the guy who swallowed the pull-top from the beercan.

reaganaut on March 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM

old school

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

yes indeed!

memories :)

cmsinaz on March 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Emergency was my favorite show on TV at the time. Ed, I can tell you were a fan too.

edgehead on March 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Scott P on March 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM

D5W is dextrose—sugar water, used in IVs
Ringer’s Lactate—isotonic solution used in IV’s, kinda like normal saline, but it has lactate in it as a buffer.

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM

old school

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

my brothers had the g.i. joe with the kung fu grip

cmsinaz on March 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Liam on March 24, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Donuts and Pop-Tarts hit hardest.

WashJeff on March 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Conservatives need to hammer the economics and other problems to death.

Why not use this time for a serious discussion of economics? Stop with the easy shots of the coming apocalypse. Instead, show the facts and draw the logical line to the apocalypse.

And start warning that Obama is going to propose a national VAT on top of our income tax. Start beating that drum before Obama’s bogus deficit commission comes out and says that it’s our only way out.

BuckeyeSam on March 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM

my brothers had the g.i. joe with the kung fu grip

cmsinaz on March 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I got caught just about to jump out the 2nd floor window with a bedsheet as a parachute.

i woulda made it too…. but might have needed the emergency one boys…

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM

1) Obama lied to get it to pass
2) Obama lied to get it to pass
3) Obama lied to get it to pass

Chuck Schick on March 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM

ted c on March 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM

lololol

cmsinaz on March 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM

reaganaut on March 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM

No All in the Family? No Mary Tyler Moore Show?

BuckeyeSam on March 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

What a surprize!!!! The post office, Amtrack, Medicare, Social security, Medicade, Etc.Etc.Etc.

Government is the problem. Just wait till amnesty. Not only your taxes will go up, but your vote will be negated as well.

Welcome to the government vote farming plantation.

saiga on March 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Starring Randolph Mantooth, Keven Tighe, and introducing Ron Pinkard in the role of “Token Minority Hospital Orderly Guy”.

Bishop on March 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

It’ll take awhile before we can “control the people”

PatriotRider on March 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Welcome to the government vote farming plantation.

saiga on March 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Well, we’re still free, you know. At least not every candidate is from the same Party like in China. So, see! We’re still obeying our Constitution; we’re not a socialist country! /sarc

Liam on March 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

No All in the Family? No Mary Tyler Moore Show?

If I recall, All in the Family was on Sunday after 60 minutes.

I never got to watch TV on school nights anyway, and we only had 1 TV, so had to share. Emergency was my show and Love Boat was my sister’s.

Never really watched any other nights until I was older, then it was Thursday; with Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court. I was always getting in trouble for one thing ot another, and the TV was always taken away.

Back then it wasn’t much of a punishment, we played outside 90% of the time. But I’m rambling…

reaganaut on March 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM

The video illustrates why Mr. Durban uses the language he does.
tomas on March 24, 2010 at 12:41 PM

you mean when durbin compared our troops to Nazis?

daesleeper on March 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM

***

reaganaut on March 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I could have sworn Archie Bunker was on Saturday. I forgot The Bob Newhart Show (with Suzanne Pleshette).

Regarding the Thursday night shows, please tell me you watched Hill Street Blues. I was old enough to stay up that late. What a show!

BuckeyeSam on March 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Nope, it was Emergency!

Ed Morrissey on March 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM

This was my first must-see-every-week-or-I-will-hurt-someone show…

ladyingray on March 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Ya, forgot that one, I don’t think I did until later on. I remember having some battles with my parents over not being able to stay up. CHiPS was the big one, because all the kids would talk about it at school, and I always had to be in bed by 9.

I ended up getting a little B&W TV in my room later on, and I remember staying up to watch SWAT, but I got caught a few times, and they took it, haha (and gave it to my sister).

I pretty much gave up fighting and became a bookworm, and I’m grateful now as I look back.

reaganaut on March 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Emergency was a fav. when I was a kid.

kringeesmom on March 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Am I crazy or am I the only one that thinks this is blatantly unconstitutional?

Commerce clause? The federal government can’t force you to engage in commerce, but only to keep it regular….

Again, am I crazy?

nazo311 on March 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Rampart Base this is Rescue 51

thomasaur on March 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM

KMG 365

viking01 on March 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Where in the Constitution is the federal government granted the authority to micromanage the health everyone in the country? It’s a simple question….nazo 311

I TOTALLY agree. The problem is that there are far too many judicial activists afoot (Sotomayor, Ginzberg) and recently Chinese-American legal “scholars” who would willingly bend the constitution like a pretzel to further their progressive agenda-even to the point of stating that round is straight, green is pink( or vice versa).Right now there is a CHANCE that the SC, as presently constituted, might rule the mandatory nature of Obamacare as being unconstitutional-but by a razor thin 5-4 vote. After a few more Obama SC appointments and even this hope dies stillborn.

MaiDee on March 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

NBC’s Trauma is the closest I have seen to redoing Emergency — man my sister and I loved that show as a kid. I like it even if it is too expensive to make and the ratings will most likely doom it to cancellation.

LifeTrek on March 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

BTW a major force behind creating the Emergency! program is a late fellow named Bob Cinader (credited as R.A. Cinader) he became a major proponent of LAFD’s new paramedics service and took it as a personal mission to promote the development of paramedics squads across the country whilst giving the public a chance to see the potential of those benefits directly. The actual fire station building (billed as Station 51) in Carson, CA is named in his memory.

viking01 on March 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Second, the inevitable higher premiums will increase costs in the system faster than anyone predicts…

But Obama promised to cut everyone’s premiums by $2500… 20 TIMES!!!!

Yakko77 on March 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM

If you loved what we did to the housing industry with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac…Your going to love our new healthcare…Good luck suckers!

Obama