Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on March 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

“If I were a member of Congress, my floor speech before casting a yes vote would have boiled down to:

Gee, I hope this works.

“One of the astonishing aspects of the health-care debate is how little is actually known about the implications of a change this far-reaching. Everyone has a theory, and a model to match, but even some of the most fundamental questions remain the subject of debate.”

***
“What measurements can we look at? First, it’s worth enumerating what, exactly, the goals of health care reform were, as articulated by Obama and the Democrats. One was to protect families from financial instability and possible bankruptcy due to medical bills. Obama also argued that reform would make Americans healthier and save lives. Finally, reform was supposed to help rein in the country’s spiraling health care costs and keep the nation from sinking deeper into debt—although you could argue that this was really more of a selling point than an original goal of reform.

“The problem with these numbers, as with any real-world economic measurement, is that there’s no control. Medical bankruptcies may eventually go down, but they might have gone down anyway, thanks to a rebounding economy. Americans might get healthier, but education and anti-obesity efforts might have made them healthier anyway. Despite the Obama administration’s penchant for citing “jobs created or saved,” no such measurement exists…

“Health care reform may be a decisive political victory for Democrats. It could even become as popular as Medicare, which soared in the polls once implemented, despite the fear-mongering that surrounded it. But that’s different from saying it will be a quantifiable policy success. ‘We won’t lack data,’ says Karen Davenport of the Center for American Progress. ‘But we might have some disagreements.’”

***
“Hours after the bill passed, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs set the talking points: ‘[I]f people want to campaign on taking tax cuts away from small businesses, taking assistance away from seniors getting prescription drugs, and want to take away a mother knowing that their child can’t be discriminated against by an insurance company … we’ll have a robust campaign on that,’ he said at the Monday briefing…

“Gibbs on Tuesday trumpeted a Gallup/USA Today poll that showed 49 percent approval and 40 percent disapproval* of the health-care law.

“‘This will give the nattering nabobs of negativity something to chew on,’ Gibbs – channeling former Maryland Governor and Vice President Spiro Agnew – said on his Twitter feed, linking to the poll results.”

***
“‘I’ve said if passing this bill means I have to walk out of my office that night, it would be with the greatest pride,’ Pelosi told ‘Newshour with Jim Lehrer’ in an interview to air this evening.

“‘But I haven’t any intention of losing the Democratic majority,’ the speaker added. ‘It’s too important to the country; it’s too important to the lives of the American people. We are there for them.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

But I don’t trust him.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I didn’t vote for him or McCain in the primaries.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM

MB4 on March 25, 2010 at 1:06 AM

No fair bringing Janice into this. BTW, have you discovered Crystal Bowersox yet?

John the Libertarian on March 25, 2010 at 1:54 AM

I trust Mitt more than 0.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM

My apologies – I thought you were Proud (with no reason to be so) RINO.

ya2daup on March 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Apology accepted. It’s easy to lose track of people here.

I’m always getting confused about the blue people. BlatantBlue, Bleeds Blue, and possibly some others. I think at least one is a troll.

Then there are a bunch of people with C followed by a few letters/numbers – I tend to get them mixed up, although somehow I never forget who crr6 is. Much as I might sometimes like to.

RINO in Name Only on March 25, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I am AnninCAing drunk. Again. Thanks, 0Care…

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM

I didn’t vote for him or McCain in the primaries.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM

I didn’t vote in the Primaries because we had a crappy stable. I was thinking of voting third party.

Sarah and Obama changed all that.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM

I voted, but he isn’t a popular person on this site.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:50 AM

I voted for her.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I voted, but he isn’t a popular person on this site.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM

You must have voted for Huckabee?

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I trust Mitt more than 0.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM

That goes without saying. I was unaware that my man Glenn came back on at this time of the night.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM

You must have voted for Huckabee?

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Guilty.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM

I think the future of Conservatism rests in Alaska…

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Guilty.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM

I was a Thompson man. I had a lot of family members that liked Huckabee.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I voted for her.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I was going to vote for McCain, regardless. The alternative was Obama. Sarah’s addition made me passionate about the ticket. It lit me up and excited me.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Guilty.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM

I was actually thinking of voting for Ron Paul until I saw how much of a Kookanaut he was.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM

We were stuck with McCain here in May.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM

You know what is crazy? If you listen to him sometimes, he just plain makes sense. Next thing you know, the man has gone total freak on you. His behavior at the debate was beyond bizarre.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Yep. None of us voted for 0

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM

You really want to know what is crazy…

Add all the best parts of the Republicans in 08, including Sarah Palin, and who do you get?

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

I am almost afraid to ask…

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM

I really need to go to bed.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM

I really need to go to bed.

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM

You and me both. Night.

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Night darlin’

OmahaConservative on March 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM

I am almost afraid to ask…

TXMomof3 on March 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM

A former president.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM

A former president.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Reagan????

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Yep.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:22 AM

The first time I have seen this. Funny.

jbinnout on March 25, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Time for bed.

Holger on March 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Why is Ron Wood standing behind Pelosi?

cane_loader on March 25, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Oh – they just finished recording the Rolling Stones’ song, “Undercover of the Night”

A song all about dirty deals./..

cane_loader on March 25, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Why is Ron Wood standing behind Pelosi?

cane_loader on March 25, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Believe it or not that is a woman but we have been dating.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I trust Mitt Romney more than Obama. I also trust Blanche Lincoln, Ben Nelson, and Mary Landrieu more than I trust Obama. Big whoopie.

It’s like these “miss me yet” billboards. Is Jimmy Carter better than Obama in some ways? Yes. Is George W. Bush better than Obama in almost every way? Of course. But they all contributed to the behemoth that is our federal government. They are part of the problem, not the solution.

The last thing the GOP needs is to run against ObamaCare in 2010 and then nominate the creator of RomneyCare in 2012. If that happens, then the lessons of 2009 and 2010 will remain unlearned.

Terrie on March 25, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Believe it or not that is a woman but we have been datingDEBATING.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Good Lord it is late.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM

That photo just creeps me out.

least1 on March 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM

That photo just creeps me out.

least1 on March 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM

Nan or whatever that is behind her?

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Breaking: The reconciliation bill will have to return to the House after Republicans successfully challenged aspects of the legislation having nothing to do with budgetary matters.

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Are you kidding me.. Do you have link??

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Are you kidding me.. Do you have link??

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Here. The AP has details here.

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Here. The AP has details here.

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 3:01 AM

The unexpected twist…

Sharr on March 25, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Here. The AP has details here.

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Thank you for posting link. This is good news. It just will not go away.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 3:13 AM

amerpundit on March 25, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Heh. Awesome. Doesn’t sound like they can hamstring it long term, but they longer they drag it out and the more miserable they make the Dems, the happier I am. It would be really cool if they could keep doing this all summer long.

Anyway, they are doing what apparently 62% of the people want them to do. Good for them.

NoLeftTurn on March 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM

Elections, have consequences.

And so is a fifth of vodka.

This is gonna hurt for a long time.

It may even kill us.

Kini on March 25, 2010 at 4:32 AM

A right is not something that you have to force others to do. You have a right to free speech, but I don’t have to listen to it, read it or print it. You have a right to freedom of assembly, but I don’t have to attend or pay for it. You have a right to freedom of religion, but I don’t have to build your church.

This “right” to health care is no such thing. By forcing others to pay for my health care, or for anybody’s health care for that matter, the government is admitting that it is not a right, but an entitlement. Such entitlements are not mentioned nor enumerated in The Constitution to be given by the Federal Government. (Otherwise, where would “rights” end? Do I have a right to your food? To your car? To your house? Do I have a right to your work? No, I do not. Nor do I have a “right” to your money, even if it is to pay for my medical expenses.)

If your state wishes to do such a thing, then that is another matter. Several states, such as Massachusetts and Hawaii, already have such programs. They are perennially broke and they have done horrible things to health insurance in those states (especially in Massachusetts). However, if your state wishes to institute such a program, then you can always move to another state if you don’t like it.

However, such programs were never meant to go nationwide. First of all, The Tenth Amendment to The Constitution reserves such rights to the states. Secondly, this division of powers was designed so that if a state tried something and it didn’t work, the others would know not to do it (and the Federal Government could help bail out the mess that the individual state had made of its matters). On the other hand, if it worked, then all of the states could adopt it. However, such things were done on a national scale, then not only would there be no place to go if you didn’t agree with such a program (and still remain in America), but there would be nobody left to help the country should it come crashing down.

Thus, our Founding Fathers wisely enumerated the powers of the Federal Government to a very specific few. All others, they left to the states or to the people themselves. Health Care is not amongst the enumerated powers. Thus, the Federal Government should have nothing to do with it, unless a Constitutional Amendment is passed for it:

“For authority to apply the surplus [of taxes] to objects of improvement, an amendment of the Constitution would have been necessary.” –Thomas Jefferson to John W. Eppes, 1813. ME 13:354

And here are another couple of quotes from James Madison:

“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined . . . to be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce.” – James Madison, Federalist 45

“If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but
an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions.” – James Madison, 1792

And Alexander Hamilton:

“No legislative act … contrary to the Constitution can be valid. To deny this would be to affirm that the deputy is greater than his principal; that the servant is above his master; that the representatives of the people are superior to the people themselves; that men acting by virtue of powers may do not only what their powers do not authorize, but what they forbid.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist 78

The new law, as it stands, is Unconstitutional on Enumerated Powers grounds (the Commerce Clause notwithstanding, this goes far, far beyond even the infinitely stretched Commerce Clause) and on Tenth Amendment grounds. That is why so many lawsuits have already been filed against it.

Theophile on March 25, 2010 at 4:36 AM

“Gee, I hope this works!”

”Oh, it works for some…!” :

Lockstein13 on March 25, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Heehee. Stupid Dems. And I believe these Congress Critters start their break tomorrow, yes? Be a shame if those House members had to stay the weekend for more votes…

Grace_is_sufficient on March 25, 2010 at 5:33 AM

AP; that cackling picture of Nancy with two of her demon henchmen behind her is bone chilling.

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Related to O-care: a link a commenter put to a post by the Boss Emeritus.

also:

The line was composed by William Safire.

BuckeyeSam on March 25, 2010 at 6:42 AM

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Check out the “woman” over her left shoulder. Yikes. And liberals complain about conservative women? Why do so many liberal elected officials break mirrors?

BuckeyeSam on March 25, 2010 at 6:45 AM

That pic…someone drop a worm in that gaping maw and maybe she’ll stop crying.
Why is she crying in the first place??

Itchee Dryback on March 25, 2010 at 6:49 AM

RE: The Photo

Serious question- Which women’s rights group does the person on the right side of the photo represent?

rogerb on March 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM

I dunno, but I think that’s congresswoman Rosa DeLauro

I’m sorry for commenting on looks, but the circumstances of the picture, and the juxtaposition with nancy, are just an extraordinarily grim vision. Perfectly fitting for the occasion though.–just add a boiling pot of brew, some eye of Newt and some winged monkeys and the pic would be complete.///of course.

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Thanks. I reckon we can probably mark her down for “any/all of them”.

rogerb on March 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM

OT: just heard that the senate gop was successful with an education amendment and the recon bill has to go back to the house….i wonder if nan and the gang can pass it easily?

cmsinaz on March 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Be a shame if those House members had to stay the weekend for more votes…

Grace_is_sufficient on March 25, 2010 at 5:33 AM

It would. I want these criminals back home where they might run into constituents who don’t appreciate the
Dems told them to drop dead.

highhopes on March 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I read Gibbs’s remarks and it struck me how absurd it was to see one poll so overhyped, when dozens of others were completely ignored.

But that is how the Democrats operate. Selective reality..and that is the problem with their bill, they can not control all of the consequences and the larger and more far reaching the legislation is, the more it can spiral out of control.

Terrye on March 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM

But that is how the Democrats operate. Selective reality…

Terrye on March 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM

How was it I heard it put recently… Ah yes. Hide the decline.

rogerb on March 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

cmsinaz on March 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM

heheheh.

title of that thread gotta be righteous comedy gold:

“Does a crap sandwich taste better the second time around?”

“Plank walkers line up for a second plunge”

“the Obamacare Martyr’s Brigade gets a second chance to shout Obama Akbar” (h/t Ramirez)

“Bill already signed into law goes back to house for debate…Umm, what?”

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Terrye on March 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM

The Ministry of Truth—–is working…

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:48 AM

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

heh

i need to clarify, it was 2 parlimentarian rules that are forcing the bill to go back to the house…still, it’s good thing

cmsinaz on March 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM

“Bill already signed into law goes back to house for debate…Umm, what?”

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Since that bill is now going back to the house, Ramirez’s next cartoon should be a remnant of that suicide belt laden guy with Nancy standing next to him with a new belt saying “Here, we’ve got another mission for you”

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Terrye on March 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Be interesting to see the reception the filthy lying dictator gets in Iowa today. Not the crowd of plants at wherever he is speaking but the protesters.

highhopes on March 25, 2010 at 8:01 AM

cmsinaz on March 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM

But meaningless. I’d hope the GOP make more out of the fact that the filthy lying dictator and his party completely forgot to cover the children from pre-existing conditions after months of making it a hallmark of the legislation! The message, of course, is “this is what happens when you pass 2300 pages of legislation which nobody including the filthy lying dictator has ever read.”

highhopes on March 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM

highhopes on March 25, 2010 at 8:01 AM

It’s too bad he’s going to the Univ of Iowa. My alma mater. *sigh*

ted c on March 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Believe it or not that is a woman but we have been datingDEBATING.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Good Lord it is late.

Dire Straits on March 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM

LOL Glad you cleared that up. The first had me scratching my head. There hasn’t been much to laugh about these last few days…heck, these last many months. So thanks. It’s the little things that get you through the day, you know.

pannw on March 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM

This legislation is the equivalent of a thermonuclear bomb in terms of unintended consequences. Worse, actually. At least a nuke has roughly symmetric behavior in the macro scale. This thing is so chock full of cross-purposes and marginal effects that it would be nearly impossible to model it.

spmat on March 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Peloci looks like a braying jackass…. Oh… that’s right… she is a Democrat….

CynicalOptimist on March 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I love the ridiculous straw men:

Everyone in the Obama administration seems to frame arguments this way. Conservatives waste all their time on the defensive trying to point out that conservatives don’t want to do those things. I think a dose of their own medicine would be more helpful. When are the Republicans going to start responding like this?

If the Democrats want to campaign this fall on increasing governement control over your medical decisions, raiding the Medicare trust fund and cutting benefits for seniors, hiking taxes on medical devices and middle class investors, and perverting the legislative process with backroom deals, patently dishonest budget gimmicks that will bankrupt the country, and political bribes, all while bankrupting the country and doing nothing to lower overall spending on or cost of health care, then we’ll have a robust campaign on that.

willamettevalley on March 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM