Oops: O-Care forgets to cover young adults, children with preexisting conditions

posted at 5:03 pm on March 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

Like the man said, this is a big f***ing deal.

Obama made better coverage for children a centerpiece of his health care remake, but it turns out the letter of the law provided a less-than-complete guarantee that kids with health problems would not be shut out of coverage.

Under the new law, insurance companies still would be able to refuse new coverage to children because of a pre-existing medical problem, said Karen Lightfoot, spokeswoman for the House Energy and Commerce Committee, one of the main congressional panels that wrote the bill Obama signed into law Tuesday.

However, if a child is accepted for coverage, or is already covered, the insurer cannot exclude payment for treating a particular illness, as sometimes happens now.

HHS is promising to issue regulations to insurance companies that would close the access loophole. All fixed? Not quite. Turns out Reid never got around to including The One’s highly touted vow to let young adults stay on their parents’ plans until age 26 in the Senate bill, so for the moment, it’s no-go on that promise too. The House stuck it back in as part of the reconciliation fix so presumably it’ll be law next week, but here’s a thought to chew on while we wait for things to play out:

“That’s how politics works,” said Jennifer Tolbert, a policy analyst at the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit that has been closely tracking the legislation.

Tolbert said the president was talking about the package – the law he signed yesterday and the pending reconciliation legislation in the Senate – because Senate Democrats believe they have the votes to pass the bill.

None of the legislation spells out who is supposed to pay for the coverage.

“I don’t know that employers have thought it through,” said Paul Fronstin, director of health research for the Employee Benefit Research Institute in Washington. “Now they have to think it out.”

As MKH reminds us, Pelosi said we’d have to pass the bill first before we could find out what’s in it, didn’t she? Little did we know. Via RCP, below you’ll find her latest creepy thought, musing that the airtight O-Care process might just be a model for all sorts of statist garbage going forward. We are blessed to live in such an age, my friends. Exit question courtesy of Tom Maguire: How did both Democratic and Republican researchers miss the loophole about preexisting conditions for kids? Did anyone at all read this bill? Or did the Dems purposely leave stuff out in order to force the GOP to take a tough separate vote on it? Surely the black-hearted pennypinching conservatives in the House wouldn’t dare oppose a supplemental measure for The Children, would they?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Little Marcellus goes under bus!

PattyJ on March 24, 2010 at 8:25 PM

In Little Marcellus’s case it was mommy who was denied health care apparently. Not that I believe that for a minute. By the way, was that Little Marcellus standing by the Prez at the signing? However, since mom was only 27, she might have fallen under the omitted provision that would have allowed her to stay on her parents health care up until she was 26—provided, of course, that they had remembered to include it. It’s utterly absurd, surreal, like something out of the Hitch Hiker’s Guide or something.

jeanie on March 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Since Obama has signed an Executive Order that no federal funds will be used to pay for Elective Abortions, does that, in essence, defund Planned Parenthood?

PappaMac on March 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Only 1/3 of Planned Parenthood’s funding comes from the government, so it’s not likely they’ll fold. More individuals will contribute (until their taxes go sky-high, anyway), and they’ll raise their rates.

Sadly, they’ll probably raise rates on the good things they do, that save lives, like mammograms and pap smears, first. But that’s just a guess.

Tanya on March 24, 2010 at 8:44 PM

We called my employer’s health insurance administrator to get more information, but she said they have no idea what’s in ObamaCare and are frantically trying to figure it out.

unclesmrgol on March 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM

If it had been spelled out, and taking effect immediately, your provider and every other would have been filing the lawsuit today. I don’t think they want to deal with that yet. Although they have probably cut some secret deals with certain providers and we’d be able to determine which ones because they wouldn’t be filing suit today.

Buddahpundit on March 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sorry, if I’m repeating something someone else has previously said. I’m a little late to this particular party as I’ve been with clients all afternoon…
I’ve been waiting for this thread since I first heard this on Rush’s show…here’s my take:

If a woman is pregant, and discovers she is carrying a child fetus that has, oh, I don’t know, Down’s syndrome, or some other birth defect, that becomes a preexisting condition, does it not…(since the kid isn’t born yet)? Since Sec HHS sets the rules, wouldn’t that pregnant woman likely receive councelling that this qualifies as a pre-existing condition, where if she terminates the pregnancy, the “problem” goes away?
I have not seen this aspect discussed anywhere…
perhaps it wasn’t an inadvertent mistake to leave it out afterall????? (You all stay away from my tinfoil hat! It’s mine, I tell you!)

Chewy the Lab on March 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Missing these two provisions: Comedy gold!!

Khun Joe on March 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM

This is next, mark my words.
Lord, Have Mercy!

OmahaConservative on March 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Indeed. Makes me sick at heart.

fullogas on March 24, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Chewy the Lab on March 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Could you make one for me or post directions? I think it might be appropiate since I’m giving real thought to writing a screen play about all of this and a tinfoil hat would set just the right mood I think. also, I might make a few more and send them to Nancy, Harry and Robert Gibbs.(I originally considered Bart Stupak but I hear that he’s called in law enforcement to make us all “take it back”!!!)

jeanie on March 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Steny Hoyer warned his co-conspirators about the threats and called on the Republicans to denounce this “violence.” I guess this is one way to silence us. At least they think so. Remember Lewis claiming Tea party protesters used the N word.All they have to do is claim it and the media runs with it.

sandee on March 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I know a lot of people here can’t stand Beck, but I watch him. He said tonight that those now in control are the radicals from the 60s. Now, they’ve put on ties and are pretending to be respectable, to gain the trust of the majority of God fearing respectable folks in the U.S. He said they’ve been exactly where we are now and they know how it feels. They are poking and prodding us, hoping for our frustration to boil over and for someone to do something stupid. Made a lot of sense to me. I had been wondering for the last year, why it seemed as if those in control are just purposefully trying to p*ss us off. And yes, I bet these incidnets are manufactured to make us look bad. I also read somewhere that Quinipiac (sp?) University did a study and that most teapartiers are undereducated. Nice smear campaign, eh what? AnninCA faces all of them.

fullogas on March 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Chewy the Lab on March 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I had pretty much the same idea myself earlier today: this wasn’t an oversight, it was a feature.

ya2daup on March 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Yum, looks good. If someone hurled one of them at me, I’d try and catch it with my teeth, if ol’ Aunt Bea Slaughter would hurry up and send me some.
OmahaConservative on March 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Ask of Aunt Bea and ye shall receive!

ya2daup on March 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM

ObumblingCare.

Symbolic of the entire thrust of this limp bunch of buffoons.

profitsbeard on March 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM