Exclusive statement from Rep. Randy Neugebauer: Repeal the baby-killer!

posted at 6:25 pm on March 23, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-TX) issued a video statement after Democrats demanded an apology for his outburst on the House floor of “it’s a baby-killer!” when Bart Stupak announced his support for ObamaCare. Initially, the media reported that Neugebauer called Stupak a baby-killer, but Neugebauer said that he was referring to the bill. In the video, Neugebauer didn’t apologize for his passionate defense of life, but promised to channel it perhaps differently as he pursues remedies to the damage ObamaCare will do.

Is Neugebauer retreating? In an exclusive statement to Hot Air, he is punching back at his critics and chastising them for their selective outrage:

I am Randy Neugebauer, the Congressman who said the Democrat’s health care bill is a baby-killer. Hot Air has graciously allowed me to respond to the vicious attacks that have been launched against me for defending the lives of the unborn.

You know, the recent “Louisiana Purchase” and “Cornhusker Kickbacks” in the health care bill were backroom deals about money. Those are offensive enough, but what happened late Sunday was far worse. It is one thing to make backroom deals for money, but on Sunday, Democrats traded the lives of unborn children so they could make a deal on their legislation. I was outraged that this bill would be a baby killer. Democrats are outraged that I said that out loud.

Well, here is something else I will say out loud: This baby-killer of a bill must be repealed.

That doesn’t sound like Neugebauer feels the need to apologize at all — and as Jim Geraghty reports, plenty of people feel the same way:

The Democrats seem to think that a complicated, bureaucratic government micromanagement of one-sixth of the economy on a party-line vote is small potatoes compared to Rep. Randy Neugebauer calling the bill “a baby-killer.”

If the Democrats pledge electoral consequences, I suspect this will be about as successful as their effort to mobilize against Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina.

Neugebauer represents a district McCain carried 72 percent to 27 percent, and has so far out-raised his Democratic opponent, Andy Wilson, $649,409 to $6,871. (Of Wilson’s total, $370 is from the candidate himself.)

Sounds like a classic briar-patch strategy. Reports already have Neugebauer’s fundraising getting a significant boost, much like Joe Wilson’s less-appropriate outburst last September. Here’s the video statement one more time, too:

I’m never going to quit speaking on behalf of the unborn, and I’m never going to quit speaking on behalf of the people of Texas and the people of the United States of America who find this policy unacceptable . . . I’m going to continue to speak with the same passion I had last night, maybe a little bit different forum, but still with the same intensity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The price of an abortion is explicit:

The denial of inalenable rights by tyrants in robes using a blood-smeared gavel.

viking01 on March 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

upinak on March 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Please, I have relatives who probably couldn’t tell you what’s going on. Once they have pulled the lever in the voting booth, they have done their duty. Shoot, they are practically Patrick Henry.

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM

He should have shouted “liberty killer”.

Schadenfreude on March 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM

And then the Spirit of Thomas Jefferson spoke to the American people and said, “Go to Pharaoh Obamesses and his royal court of usurpers and say to them, ‘This is what I, and the other Founding Fathers, say: “Let the American people keep their liberty, do not attempt to put them under further bondage.”

MB4 on March 23, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Good job Congressman Neugebauer. It’s sad that those that who say they’re “pro life” end up only being “pro Democrat” and that those that are truly “pro life” end up getting smeared for speaking the truth.

Keep speaking the truth. Someone must speak for the unborn.

ted c on March 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM

He married his high school sweetheart, Dana Collins, and he serves as a deacon at their Baptist church.

Everything I read about him I like.

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Question So if a woman got pregnant last night….would this be a pre-existing condition??

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM

There’s one baby, one very big baby, that DOES need to be killed, or at least crippled…

Obamacare.

For now, keep flooding the Democrat Senators with calls, email, texts, visits, etc., urging rejection or change, any change, to the House Recon Bill. We can’t pause, we can’t relent, not for one day, not for one hour, not for one minute.

This country, and only this country, was begun with God at its foundation — while allowing even atheism to exist. For us believers, however, we owe it to Him to protect the innocents in our midst, the ones least able to protect themselves, yes, the ones temporarily housed in the womb. Even some atheists and agnostics I know agree, but for different reasons. Which is okay by me.

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Dunno’ about pre-existing, but she would definitely be with child . ie: two people, not one.

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Briar patch is an understatement. These idiot Democrats and their media enablers will run with this for the next two news cycles, and the takeaway will be The Bill Kills Babies. Nice fig leaf for Stupak.

chunderroad on March 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

God Bless you for your eloquence.

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You can also remind various non-believers of whatever opinion that the Founders didn’t just establish the Constitution. They ordained it. I think our wise founders chose that word “ordain” for far more than its legal connotation and denotation. Most of our Constitutional problems stem directly from vain judges whom have deemed themselves Creator for personal temporal gain rather than protecting Liberty for the Ages.

viking01 on March 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

God Bless Texas and God Bless Neugebauer!

“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas!”

Davy Crockett

texgal on March 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

God help us….that’s a terrible thought!!!

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You ‘allow’ me to exist eh?

Sorry… that is not what America is founded on. I exist with or without you BS permit.

Go off and pray in the corner.

lexhamfox on March 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

God bless you, Sir.

PrincipledPilgrim on March 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Well spoken.

PrincipledPilgrim on March 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM

viking01 on March 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM

An excellent point. I personally believe that the founders used the term “ordained” out of their realization that God must have ordained this land and the place and time for this freedom experiment. There is no question that they felt His hand at the table.

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Go off and pray in the corner.

lexhamfox on March 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I think the gist of the post was that you can be a dickhead and no one will hold it against you.

Or are you ‘Atheism’ personified???

BigWyo on March 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Go off and pray in the corner.

lexhamfox on March 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

“Don’t ask (her) what (she) thinks of you. (She) might not give you the answer that you want (her) to. Oh well.”

– Peter Green, Fleetwood Mac, 1969

viking01 on March 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Very nice TXUS. What part of Texas? I’m from San Antonio.

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Thanks. Our current politicians are purely carpe diem yet the Founders, through risking all they had focused on what Liberty could be far beyond their mortal selves. What made Washington great made Eisenhower great: Utter selflessness and cool contemplative sacrifice.

viking01 on March 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM

This will make the news…Paul Ryan won’t. We have to be perfect people.

tomas on March 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM

You ‘allow’ me to exist eh?
Go off and pray in the corner.

lexhamfox on March 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

That is not what I said. What I was trying convey is that ours was the first and only country ever established in the name of God but which also understood that true freedom, by definition, must not through law prohibit the questioning of His existence and even outright disbelief of it.

This is not by permit nor allowance. But it was an entirely new way of viewing religion and state at the time of the founding.

As for my praying in a corner, it ain’t a bad place. Tonight, I’m gonna try to pray you out of yours.

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM

TXUS,

Well spoken.

“PRESS ON!”

Khun Joe on March 23, 2010 at 8:13 PM

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Houston and Realitos.

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM

The snow here in Nebraska just about got to me, so we plan to get back to SA this summer. I plan on eating Tex/Mex every night and bringing back some good old HEB brisket.

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Yoda, there’s two types of people. Texans and everyone else. We ain’t the best but maybe the freeist. And, we’d rather sweat than freeze. Fo’ sho’.

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Next time he should print it on a sign and bring an easel to put it on, just like Alan (Die Quickly) Grayson!

kringeesmom on March 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM

OmahaConservative on March 23, 2010 at 7:05 PM

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Haven’t you heard, being a woman is a pre-existing condition.

kringeesmom on March 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM

There is very little ideological difference between abortion on demand and gas chambers.

Some people find other people inconvenient and get rid of them. They do it by telling themselves those people are less human than they are.

It is always part of the Socialist/Communist/Progressive ideology to get rid of people they find inconvenient.

petunia on March 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM

People, if you get a chance could y’all click on over to YouTube and uprank this video and maybe leave a comment or two. The lefties are insulting both him and his wife.

29Victor on March 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Haven’t you heard, being a woman is a pre-existing condition.

kringeesmom on March 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Good catch!

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Why does it seem that Texas always seems to lead the way to freedom? I have got to visit there sometime! Long distance high five to the state of Texas! Hook ‘em!

search4truth on March 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM

TXUS on March 23, 2010 at 8:42 PM

And everything really is bigger in Texas.

yoda on March 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I’ve known Congressman Neugebauer for years and interviewed him when he was a city councilman in Lubbock and I was a TV anchor there. Randy is sincere in his faith and in his commitment to his oath to uphold the constitution. I live in Tucson now and am doing all I can to get Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords voted out of office. We would do good to replace her with someone with the character of Randy Neugebauer. Thank you Randy for standing up for the truth in Congress!

Ordinary1 on March 23, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I am so proud; he is my Congressman. :) :) :)

See folks, if things fall apart elsewhere and you must move to Texas, Lubbock isn’t so bad. :) :) :)

Theophile on March 23, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Again, anyone who feel that babies are being killed need to push for legislation to send women and doctors to jail for murder. None of this crap that women won’t be punish. If you believe it is murder, then you need to push for legislation to put women and doctors in jail.

Chekote on March 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Agreed. Every state defines abortion as murder, and then gives an exception by law to the willing mother and her physician. They do this so they can prosecute for fetal murder people who induce abortions on unwilling mothers.

They just need to repeal the exemption.

unclesmrgol on March 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Theophile on March 23, 2010 at 11:49 PMAre you in Lubbock, or nearby? I\’m in Levelland.

bikermailman on March 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Randy is my congressman and he votes correctly on just about every issue. He, in my opinion, more of a follower than a leader. He needs to be more dynamic, but I guess everyone can’t have a Paul Ryan.

llano on March 24, 2010 at 8:55 AM

bikermailman on March 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM

My Mom still lives in Lubbock. I was there from 1994 – 2002. I was the goofy morning show weatherman on 13 & 28. I guess co-anchoring with Adrienne Tovar were the golden years… Shooting Friday Night Football was one of my favorite things to do to help out the sports department. I can probably still name most of the mascots on the South Plains. Go Lobos!

Ordinary1 on March 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM