Video: “Hell, no, you can’t!”

posted at 9:30 am on March 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

“In this economy, with this unemployment, with our desperate need for jobs and economic growth, is this really the time to raise taxes, to create bureaucracies, and burden every job creator in our land?” So began the final effort by House Minority Leader John Boehner to turn the tide on ObamaCare, mainly by answering a series of difficult questions. Boehner really caught fire in the middle of the speech when he asked Democrats if they had even bothered to read the bill or any of its sidebars or amendments, ending with a “Hell no, you haven’t!” Not surprisingly, this was one of the most popular moments for Hot Air commenters on the live thread. Most of it, however, was somber and sad, as Boehner said, “Shame on us, shame on this body, shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen.” Full speech is below:

“Mr. Speaker and my colleagues, I rise tonight with a sad and heavy heart. Today, we should be standing together, reflecting on a year of bipartisanship, and working to answer our country’s call and their challenge to address the rising costs of health insurance in our country. Today, this body, this institution, enshrined in the first article of the Constitution by our Founding Fathers as a sign of the importance they placed on this House, should be looking with pride on this legislation and our work.

“But it is not so. No, today we’re standing here looking at a health care bill that no one in this body believes is satisfactory. Today we stand here amidst the wreckage of what was once the respect and honor that this House was held in by our fellow citizens.

“And we all know why it is so. We have failed to listen to America. And we have failed to reflect the will of our constituents. And when we fail to reflect that will – we fail ourselves and we fail our country.

“Look at this bill. Ask yourself: do you really believe that if you like the health plan that you have, that you can keep it? No, you can’t. In this economy, with this unemployment, with our desperate need for jobs and economic growth, is this really the time to raise taxes, to create bureaucracies, and burden every job creator in our land? The answer is no. Can you go home and tell your senior citizens that these cuts in Medicare will not limit their access to doctors or further weaken the program instead of strengthening it? No, you cannot. Can you go home and tell your constituents with confidence that this bill respects the sanctity of all human life, and that it won’t allow for taxpayer funding of abortion for the first time in 30 years? No, you cannot.

“And look at how this bill was written. Can you say it was done openly, with transparency and accountability? Without backroom deals, and struck behind closed doors, hidden from the people? Hell no, you can’t! Have you read the bill? Have you read the reconciliation bill? Have you read the manager’s amendment? Hell no, you haven’t!

“Mr. Speaker, in a few minutes, we will cast some of the most consequential votes that any of us will ever cast in this chamber. The decision we make will affect every man, woman and child in this nation for generations to come. If we’re going to vote to defy the will of the American people, then we ought to have the courage to stand before them and announce our votes, one at a time. I sent a letter to the Speaker this week asking that the ‘call of the roll’ be ordered for this vote. Madame Speaker, I ask you. Will you, in the interest of this institution, grant my request? Will you, Mr. Speaker, grant my request that we have a call of the roll? Mr. Speaker, will you grant my request that we have a call of the roll?

“My colleagues, this is the People’s House. When we came here, we each swore an oath to uphold and abide by the Constitution as representatives of the people. But the process here is broken. The institution is broken.

“And as a result, this bill is not what the American people need, nor what our constituents want. Americans are out there are making sacrifices and struggling to build a better future for their kids. And over the last year as the damn-the-torpedoes outline of this legislation became more clear, millions lifted their voices, and many for the first time, asking us to slow down, not try to cram through more than the system could handle. Not to spend money that we didn’t have. In this time of recession, they wanted us to focus on jobs, not more spending, not more government, certainly not more taxes.

“But what they see today frightens them. They’re frightened because they don’t know what comes next. They’re disgusted, because they see one political party closing out the other from what should be a national solution. And they are angry. They are angry that no matter how they engage in this debate, this body moves forward against their will.

“Shame on us. Shame on this body. Shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen.

“Around this chamber, looking upon us are the lawgivers – from Moses, to Gaius, to Blackstone, to Thomas Jefferson. By our actions today, we disgrace their values. We break the ties of history in this chamber. We break our trust with Americans.

“When I handed the Speaker the gavel in 2007, I said: “this is the people’s House – and the moment a majority forgets this, it starts writing itself a ticket to minority status. If we pass this bill, there will be no turning back. It will be the last straw for the American people. And In a democracy, you can only ignore the will of the people for so long and get away with it. And if we defy the will of our fellow citizens and pass this bill, we are going to be held to account by those who have placed us in their trust. We will have shattered those bonds of trust.

“I beg you. I beg each and every one of you on both sides of the aisle: Do not further strike at the heart of this country and this institution with arrogance, for surely you will not strike with impunity. I ask each of you to vow never to let this happen again – this process, this defiance of our citizens. It is not too late to begin to restore the bonds of trust with our Nation and return comity to this institution.

“And so, join me. Join me in voting against this bill, so that we may come together anew, and address this challenge of health care in a manner that brings credit to this body, and brings credit to the ideals of this nation, and most importantly, it reflects the will our people.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Acually, this is quite amusing watching Ann add another one to her belt…We warned you…

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM

You are the company you keep. You defend the troll, you get treated like a troll. Sorry slick, if you don’t believe me, ask Liam.

Laura in Maryland on March 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM

And it begins. Quite frankly, I am surprised at the restraint shown so far.

Bricks Shatter Glass at NY Democratic Offices
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 22, 2010
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities are trying to find out who threw bricks through windows and doors at two Democratic Party offices in western New York before Sunday’s health care vote

Sporty1946 on March 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM

… are you saying that I have not spent this entire thread arguing with Ann over (and pointing out the inconsistencies) her position?

And I am somehow supporting her?

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Boehner got one thing wrong the “Institution” isn’t broken the “System” isn’t broken. It’s Corrupted.

He wants the American People to be able to Trust in the institutions of our Government. I am laughing, look what the Republicans did when they held the power. It’s why we are where we are today. They have Lindsey Graham & John McCain talking amnesty and global warming…do they really think that somehow translates into people like me an Independent trusting them?

Faith is going to lead us out of this abysmal period of our history, but NOT Faith in our elected politicians. Faith in God, and Faith in our Fellow Countrymen.

Dr Evil on March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Which is the true reason of the housing crash, no?

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Exactly. Barney Frank and Chris Dodd are responsible for the housing crash. But those sorry shmucks will never take responsibility for their actions.

This country was based on risk and return / effort and reward. The democrats want to eliminate any risk for the public and guess what: that will have an adverse effect on potential economic reward. As for effort, they want all the welfare people and illegal immigrants in the democrat vote farm to insure political power, and don’t give a rat’s ass about having an enviornment for the achievers to achieve.

saiga on March 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM

EasyEight on March 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

That is definitely a *snort moment…

ladyingray on March 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Saiga: As you said, ‘exactly’.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Dr Evil on March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Well said.

Mirimichi on March 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM

You have been trying to hold a civil discussion with Ann. Others have tried that for months now. All that does is give her a chance to spout her thread-jacking inane comments and flirt with you. While she is flirting, your are oblivious to the fact that she believes nothing of what you say and will not give direct answers to any of your queries. “Welcome to my parlor.” said the spider to the fly.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Jester: Well, if she is flirting, I must admit that she’s barking up the wrong tree, as any historical search of my posts here will show clearly. ;)

But to ladyingray, Laura, et al, may I offer my apologies.

If nothing else, as Ann has proved, she is contemptible in her treatment of others.

So yeah, troll, done, next topic?

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:33 AM

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 11:31 AM

*haha*

*eyeroll*

Sporty1946 on March 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Like Reagan said, “if you tax something, you get less of it and if you subsidize something, you get more of it”.

The democrats want to subsidize failure and tax sucess, plain and simple. They are vote farming and will be thrilled when there is a majority of the population addicted to government so they have a voting majority by the nose. It is criminal vote farming that only cares about their power and will persue it even if it destroys the work ethic and productivity of hard working sucessful people.

saiga on March 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Saiga: I must admit, I have not heard that in the past, and I will save it for future reference. =)

And of course that’s their plan.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Our way forward is to engage all conservatives of both major partys along with independents. We need to re-engage with reagan democrats. When we do that we will gain control of the governent again. Until then expect more of the saem. With few exceptions we need to throw out the non-conservative incumbants starting this november.

kanda on March 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Expanding the welfare class to the democrats is a success, and granting millions of illegal immigrant cheaters amnesty is also a success for the democrats. The farther they can lower the common denominator of public self reliance, the better it is for them to retain power. Getting more people addicted to “government programs”, the more votes they get. They don’t care about the greatness of America, all they care about is power over the treasury to steal money. Look at the deals in the health care bill. Criminal.

saiga on March 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I am well aware of Ann’s history. And perhaps I used the term ‘independent’ poorly.
Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM

That’s no excuse.

I’ve always had a huge sore spot with people who use words like “eclectic.” It means precisely the same thing as the word “hodge-podge,” except that it also adds the understanding that the person saying it happens to be an arrogant, self-important twit.

Likewise the words “independent” and “non-partisan.” When somebody’s being a scatter-brained airhead then for crying out loud, JUST SAY THAT. And quit being such a mealy-mouthed about it.

logis on March 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Nice stuff, but it’s like Romney when he dropped out of the Presidential race. They give their best speech when they know they lost. Where is the leadership when it counts. No where to be found. Tell me again how we beat Barry in 2012 with leaders like this. We won’t.

inchdeep on March 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM

logis on March 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM

So not taking sides as either a barking moonbat or a whacko wingnut makes one a ‘scatter-brained airhead’…

I’m beginning to understand how you people think.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

logis: I’m sorry if you thought that was an excuse. It was more of an apology, though.

Regarding the word ‘eclectic’ and similar words, unfortunately you are correct in the large amount of cases. I was guilty of using imprecise language here, and this will now be the second time I acknowledge it.

Mea culpa.

What else would you like from me?

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I’m beginning to understand how you people think.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Aw, you just keep on believing that….

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM

So John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi walk into a bar to celebrate…

… and the bartender still asks,

“What’s with the long face and sour puss?”

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Aw, you just keep on believing that….

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM

And you just keep on believing that anyone who doesn’t side with you is automatically “(insert wingnut insult here)”.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Boehner for President!

gullxn on March 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

But to ladyingray, Laura, et al, may I offer my apologies.

So yeah, troll, done, next topic?

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Oh lordy, these people are so goofy.

I have no clue as to why anyone would imagine I’m flirting.

I’ve done nothing but disagree with you, actually, with a bit of respect that you could be right on some stuff.

Anyway, this has devolved, as we say.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

So not taking sides as either a barking moonbat or a whacko wingnut makes one a ’scatter-brained airhead’…
Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

No, that’s probably some combination of drugs and lead-based paint.

Of course repeated idiotic and utterly incoherent opinions don’t MAKE people into morons; technically speaking, they only serve as conclusive PROOOF of the condition.

logis on March 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

You really told ‘em, John!

+!!ty1

Christien on March 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

What part of your body did you want us to insert the wingnut in. Pretty sure that part is already full.

inchdeep on March 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I’m beginning to understand how you people think.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Good choice of words. To comprehend 50% of how “people” at Hot Air think would be a study involving years.

Basil Fawlty on March 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I’m beginning to understand how you people think.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

You people? You’ve already taken a side. You’re not intellectually superior as you fervently wish to believe about yourself. You’re just a college kid lost in your own hubris and self-delusion.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

No, that’s probably some combination of drugs and lead-based paint.

logis on March 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Not taking extreme positions means you’re on something?

I really ought to ask a professional shrink to do a study on the mind of the wingnut and see what he/she concluded.

inchdeep on March 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ah yes, the standard locker-room conservaturd innuendo. Was wondering which one of you would post it first.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I have admired John Boehner ever since he referred to President Bush’s shamnesty bill as a piece if sh*t. He, Paul Ryan, and Mike Pence were smoking hot last night, and anyone who denies the truth of what they said just plain doesn’t want to know.

Ignorance is not bliss… It is shameful, lazy, and a piss-poor way to go through life. And now it’s damned expensive, too.

CantCureStupid on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

As Jester says. Not choosing to ally yourself to either side is itself a choice, and in this country, that is a choice of marginalization.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Pot, meet kettle.

You’re just a college kid lost in your own hubris and self-delusion.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

You’re just a sad-sack right-wing fanatic clinging to your guns. The only self-delusions are in your fevered dreams of revolution.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

When I listened to this speech last night, it brought tears to my eyes. WHen I read it again just now, it brought tears. Last night was the first tears I’d shed over this issue, and this morning will be the last. Time to get to work!!!

capejasmine on March 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Yep.

I must say, getting called names by the mindless fanatics on both sides is rather trying some days…

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Nancy, you no longer have the consent of the people. I can’t wait to see your big gavel pried out of your ‘dead’ hands.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM

CantCureStupid on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Oh don’t worry. When the mandates go into effect, those ignorants will surely wake up, and scream foul. However, and unfortunately for them, and for us….it’s to d@mn late.

capejasmine on March 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I don’t recall calling anyone incorrect names here. It’s one of the reasons I actually use my real name in my handle.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

According to Speaker Pelosi, the government has created a new “right” for the American people – the right to health care. America ended yesterday.

Health care is the product of human labor – you go to the doctor, he figures out your problem and implements a solution. It’s how he spends his day.

Now, everyone has the right to make him work. That’s how they used to do it on the plantations. The land owner had the right to make his field hands work. Health care workers are now in the same boat as those field hands. Soon, Democrats will figure out another “right” that is based on someone else’s labor and more Americans will become slaves.

lonesomecharlie on March 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Struck a nerve. I declare myself the winner. And you walked into that. Also is it the Rahm Emanuel locker room where you come in naked and yell to get your way. I doubt it. You don’t want everyone to see all you deficiencies. And that’s all I have to say about that Forest.

inchdeep on March 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Charlie: Did she actually say ‘created’? Then she certainly isn’t American, as the core principle of American thought, as found in the Declaration of Independence, is that human rights are ‘unalienable’. They cannot be created or destroyed.

While I guess that’s self-evident, I’m surprised such a slip happened. It shows their mode of thinking far better than any amount of rhetoric.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM

How do Republicans win going forward?

Draw the stark distinction. Republicans must be the Party of Liberty, since the Democrats have already solidified themselves as the Party of Dependency.

So-called “Health Care Reform” is Exhibit A in drawing that stark distinction.

Edouard on March 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Hey Boehner (and everyone else),

If this is a government take over of health care, why are insurance company stocks UP this morning?

Boehner is either an idiot or a liar. As was pointed out yesterday on MTP, he was completely wrong about the Dem’s economic bill in the ’90s and he’s completely wrong/lying about HCR now.

He had the gall to call the Dems partisan for their actions in passing this bill when it’s been the Republicans repeatedly lying about this bill to derail it even though it includes many of their own ideas. I actually think he may be both an idiot and a liar.

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Troll alert.

Apparently, he failed to read the Chicken game analysis.

Scott H on March 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I take it today is not one of them…

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

How do Republicans win going forward?

So-called “Health Care Reform” is Exhibit A in drawing that stark distinction.

Edouard on March 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I do think a vigorous discussion, outside of the Democratic party agenda, is really needed.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Hogwash Shipley . . . go find some eggs to suck on.

rplat on March 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

No, Scooter. I’m not intellectually superior to anyone. I’m an American. I love my freedom. I love my country. I’m embarrased by our politicians, especially the Democratic ones. I don’t own a gun presently , but I have fired one in the past, a remington automatic, and got two skeet with one shot. As for being a sad sack, I possess a joy inside me that you do not understand, although I pray one day that you do.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I am so proud of my fellow Ohioan !!!!!

sweet92169 on March 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The only self-delusions are in your fevered dreams of revolution.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

IIRC, you entertained the idea of Texas peacefully leaving the Union last night in the open thread.

None of the comments from kingsjester that I am aware of have mentioned this idea.

rukiddingme on March 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

ALL FOR SHOW CERTAINLY……but WHY…..WHY……does the GOP wait until the votes are cast to show some freaking backbone!!!!

That being said WELL DONE BOEHNER!!!

PappyD61 on March 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

rukiddingme on March 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Thank you. Dark-Star is lashing out because no one is buying what he is seling.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM

inchdeep on March 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ah yes, the standard locker-room conservaturd innuendo.
Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I take it today is not one of them…

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

That all depends on his definition of “both sides.”

Seriously, which would be worse:

A) This guy is just another random hyper-partisan moby troll who just happens to be much, much worse than most of them at hiding his bias; or

B) This guy genuinely believes that everyone in the whole world except him is a psychopath?

Of course there’s no possible way to guess from just looking at the typed output of someone who’s doing such a crappy job at emulating a Turing Machine which of the only two possible explanations applies here.

But personally, I REALLY hope it’s the first one.

logis on March 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Hypocrites:

These are the same exact people who spent years funding the Iraq War without end and without conditions even in the face of extreme public opposition, which consistently remained in the 60-65% range.  Indeed, the wholesale irrelevance of public opinion was a central tenet of GOP rule for eight years, as illustrated by this classic exchange between Dick Cheney and ABC News’ Martha Radditz in May, 2008, regarding the administration’s escalation of the war at exactly the same time that public demands for withdrawal were at their height:

RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

CHENEY: So?

RADDATZ:  So?  You don’t care what the American people think?

CHENEY: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls.

Bill Blizzard on March 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

It’s a true boondoggle move, and I trust that voters will simply adjust, give up “independent,” move to the GOP side, and the Dems will truly suffer an amazing mid-term and 2012 loss.

This bill, in short, is the albatross.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Which will be rather cold comfort if I lose my house because of additional taxes combined with other bad things happening.

But … yay team R, I guess.

TheUnrepentantGeek on March 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

ll Blizzard on March 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

It must be the end of the pay period for the trolls today…Better cash your checks quick, that Obama money won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on…

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Ahh… snatching the defeat from the jaws of victory… that’s USA for ya’.

For decades USSR and the Eastern Block tried to defeat the capitalist system. Eventually, we lost and almost everyone here realized what dumb, criminal and inefficient the socialist/communist system was, including the “free” health care. The damage which was done cannot be changed easily – even now, after 20 years, bribe is the way to get in front of the line for that “free” government-run health care.

But… the western communists are stuck on stupid, and now the last bastion of free market lays in ruins.

I see many views that in 2012 the communists now in power in US government will lose. Dream on. Even now, according to Rasmussen polls, “29% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President”.

That’s 30% of hardcore extreme left, you add the “moderates” and “independents” with left views and some millions illegal amnestied votes and the left will be in power for ever. Not that they need a majority to do this, as we could all saw this week.

But I have the satisfaction that the idiots who support their policies will have a taste of what will follow and no place to run from it. Good job, US comrades!

Rookie on March 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Bill Blizzard on March 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Apples and oranges. The war was ongoing. Leaving had serious consequences too. The press was doing everything it could to turn people against the war. This bill wasn’t needed today and based on when it actually goes fully into effect, could have waited for a year or more. The press did everything it could to get people to support this bill and they failed. But I don’t expect you to grasp the difference, given your hyperbole.

gitarfan on March 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

CantCureStupid on March 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I’m stealing this (with credit to you)to make a sign for my home office and to share with a few people in my family.

silvernana on March 22, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hey Boehner (and everyone else),

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

First off….maybe take some time, and read the bill. Secondly, it was partisan, when the crafting of it, from beginning to end, was done by democrats behind closed doors. Secondly, those evil demon insurance companies worked a deal with the Dems. They will benefit from this. Just like the deal Obama made with big pharma’s. He screwed us. That included you. Wake up, and get a clue.

capejasmine on March 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Rep. Giffords’ Tucson office vandalized after health care vote
Story Comments By Rhonda Bodfield Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 10:59 am | Comments

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size The front door was smashed out at Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ congressional office last night.

At 2:40 a.m., just a few hours after staff left the building after the late-night vote, the alarm system went off, said spokesman C.J. Karamargin. The panel to the front door and the glass panel alongside it were smashed out. The perpetrator likely had to hop the gated fence to get access to the door, since it’s not viewable from the parking lot.

Karamargin said it was unclear if the glass had been shot out with a kind of pellet gun, if it had been kicked or smashed with an object. The door has been covered with plywood.

Police had no more information when reached this morning.

While the calls into the office in the past week were “more nasty and rude” and laced with profanity than the office had ever received before, Karamargin said, they did not reach the level of threat that prompted any police involvement. Throughout all of the protests over the past several weeks as the health care proposal entered its final push, the office was often full of people — many vehemently opposed to the health care proposal — but this incident was the first involving any vandalism.

“It’s unfortunate that the reaction to Sunday night’s vote was a violent one. It’s a good thing no one was here,” he said.

usarmyretired on March 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Actually, no one should be too surprised that America has gone communist.

From 1946 to 1989, communism was associated with the most powerful and dangerous enemy America ever faced – the USSR. When the Evil Empire fell in 1989, everyone breathed a sigh of relief but the American communists saw their chance. Once their pernicious ideology was dissociated from the USSR, they began its rehabilitation. Then, along came an attractive, articulate African-American communist and voila – the trapdoor slammed shut.

lonesomecharlie on March 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I actually think he may be both an idiot and a liar.

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

You may think he is, but we all KNOW that you are. Pathetic troll, don’t you know that you and your ilk are despised today more than ever. I am sure that you will give us more reason to increase that feeling in the days to come.

Sporty1946 on March 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

It was done behind closed doors, fool, even Obama didn’t know what was in the bill.
Lies? How could they be any lies, when no one knew what was in the bill…it was kept a secret.
Do you mean when they say they weren’t going to pay for abortions, but are? Or that it will not cost a cent, but will be a trillion dollar burden…or where we have to pay for several years, but no receive any benefit? You mean those little lies that the dems tried to hide?
How about forgetting to mention that since nearly 50% of the people don’t pay taxes, the other 50% get to pay for everyone’s health care…gee, I wonder which 50% you are part of…

right2bright on March 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Hey Boehner (and everyone else),

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Hey, why did Obama have a closed door secret meeting with insurance company executive (after promising they would be open and televised)…maybe that’s the answer to stocks going up?
Let me see, secret meeting with insurance execs…insurance execs not complaining about bill, bill passes and stocks go up…hmmmm, what could be the catalyst…

right2bright on March 22, 2010 at 3:22 PM

If Boehner was really angry he wouldn’t be reading off a prewritten speech. He’s faking it.

JavelinaBomb on March 22, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Seriously. The will of our countrymen is to get a public option. By a supermajority, even!

So when Boehner says “Shame on us”, he really does mean it in a bipartisan sense.

orange on March 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Tom_Shipley on March 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Because the government will be forcing people to buy insurance, and the “doc and hospital fix” guaratees full payment for Medicare for a while.

As with the government caused housing bubble … money will be made hand over fist for a few years until the entire thing collapses … all because of the government.

Worship your government Tom. They want to own you … you want it to own you.

darwin on March 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Never has a victory cry sounded so hollow and juvenile as the ‘yes we can,’ in the house yesterday. They should have said, ‘up yours.’

tessa on March 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM

tessa on March 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM

That’s what it sounded like.

maverick muse on March 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM

“…It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

“Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter’d your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

“Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil’d this sacred place, and turn’d the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress’d; your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse the Augean Stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings, and which by God’s help and the strength He has given me, I now come to do.

“I command ye, therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. You have sat here too long for the good you do. In the name of God, go!”

A version of Oliver Cromwell’s speech dismissing Parliament
20 April 1653
jp on March 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Awesome! Love it!

txmomof6 on March 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Applause and Standing O to our future Speaker of the House.

Beaglemom on March 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I’m hearing Obama is planning to place the US constitution in a time capsule, in the cornerstone of one of the hospitals that was used to buy votes for this bill. The Dems don’t want it opened for another 100 years.

jack herman on March 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Ed and AP,

I really love coming to this site but threads like these are an example of something that is annoying and makes me choose another site sometimes. Allowing someone to post over and over when the person is clearly violating the Terms of Use. I don’t even need to point out who it is. I try to skip past the person’s comments but sometimes it is difficult because there are so many. This person takes the discussions off in so many different tangents that it makes the thread essentially pointless. Which I believe is the person’s objective. I hope that you consider this plea.

Mormon Doc on March 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

On a completely separate note…

Has anyone else been banned from Media Matters for no apparent reason?

Glenn Jericho on March 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Glenn Jericho on March 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I haven’t heard about that happening but they may be attempting to “purify” the site by eliminating any opposing voices.

Mormon Doc on March 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Mormon Doc on March 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Don’t be so stealth about trying to get someone kicked off. C’mon, let everyone know who you disagree with and cannot tolerate to point of having them banned. Sure, most of these threads wind up off-topic sooner or later. But then again this site is not ruled with an iron fist and comments are not read and approved before they are posted.

Is that what you want? Sorry, I like the freedom to respond.

Sporty1946 on March 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Rand Paul money bomb tonight at midnight.

Spathi on March 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM

There is no need to insult you Dark-Star. All is evident in your prose. I see no need to be repetitive.

IowaWoman on March 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I’m beginning to understand how you people think.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM

All of us? Really? Wow… you’re good./

CWforFreedom on March 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

All of us? Really? Wow… you’re good./

CWforFreedom on March 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

At least certain common ‘threads’ of thought. Some are obviously more evident than others, such as favoring cheap sexual innuendo as a fallback for debate. The left plays the race and/or sex cards in similar situations.

Dark-Star on March 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Boehner for President!

gullxn on March 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

First things first…

Boehner for Speaker of the House!!

Khun Joe on March 22, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Only in Washington, in this day and age, would using mild language need a rebuke from the Chair…

…but voting to fund the murder of unborn children would be cheered – indeed celebrated.

catmman on March 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Is it time to raise an army yet? Perhaps, perhaps…

ray on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I LOVE BOEHNER!

Yellowdog12 on March 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Here’s the future of medical care in the US.

The sick will get insurance as soon as they become ill because they cannot be denied. Those with preconditions will get insurance because they cannot be denied.

The healthy will not buy in until they get sick. It’s cheaper not to get it, especially since premiums will skyrocket as only the ill will carry insurance.

The end result is that private health insurance will die because Congress will limit premium increases and it will become simply impossible to sustain.

Government will control all of your health care. Which has been the plan all along.

drjohn on March 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Too bad he didn’t grow a pair a year ago.

kmarie on March 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Now THAT was a great speech. Too bad it was given under those circumstances.

Mojave Mark on March 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I want a bumper sticker with HELL, NO, YOU CAN’T.
A+ and more please!