Video: “Hell, no, you can’t!”

posted at 9:30 am on March 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

“In this economy, with this unemployment, with our desperate need for jobs and economic growth, is this really the time to raise taxes, to create bureaucracies, and burden every job creator in our land?” So began the final effort by House Minority Leader John Boehner to turn the tide on ObamaCare, mainly by answering a series of difficult questions. Boehner really caught fire in the middle of the speech when he asked Democrats if they had even bothered to read the bill or any of its sidebars or amendments, ending with a “Hell no, you haven’t!” Not surprisingly, this was one of the most popular moments for Hot Air commenters on the live thread. Most of it, however, was somber and sad, as Boehner said, “Shame on us, shame on this body, shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen.” Full speech is below:

“Mr. Speaker and my colleagues, I rise tonight with a sad and heavy heart. Today, we should be standing together, reflecting on a year of bipartisanship, and working to answer our country’s call and their challenge to address the rising costs of health insurance in our country. Today, this body, this institution, enshrined in the first article of the Constitution by our Founding Fathers as a sign of the importance they placed on this House, should be looking with pride on this legislation and our work.

“But it is not so. No, today we’re standing here looking at a health care bill that no one in this body believes is satisfactory. Today we stand here amidst the wreckage of what was once the respect and honor that this House was held in by our fellow citizens.

“And we all know why it is so. We have failed to listen to America. And we have failed to reflect the will of our constituents. And when we fail to reflect that will – we fail ourselves and we fail our country.

“Look at this bill. Ask yourself: do you really believe that if you like the health plan that you have, that you can keep it? No, you can’t. In this economy, with this unemployment, with our desperate need for jobs and economic growth, is this really the time to raise taxes, to create bureaucracies, and burden every job creator in our land? The answer is no. Can you go home and tell your senior citizens that these cuts in Medicare will not limit their access to doctors or further weaken the program instead of strengthening it? No, you cannot. Can you go home and tell your constituents with confidence that this bill respects the sanctity of all human life, and that it won’t allow for taxpayer funding of abortion for the first time in 30 years? No, you cannot.

“And look at how this bill was written. Can you say it was done openly, with transparency and accountability? Without backroom deals, and struck behind closed doors, hidden from the people? Hell no, you can’t! Have you read the bill? Have you read the reconciliation bill? Have you read the manager’s amendment? Hell no, you haven’t!

“Mr. Speaker, in a few minutes, we will cast some of the most consequential votes that any of us will ever cast in this chamber. The decision we make will affect every man, woman and child in this nation for generations to come. If we’re going to vote to defy the will of the American people, then we ought to have the courage to stand before them and announce our votes, one at a time. I sent a letter to the Speaker this week asking that the ‘call of the roll’ be ordered for this vote. Madame Speaker, I ask you. Will you, in the interest of this institution, grant my request? Will you, Mr. Speaker, grant my request that we have a call of the roll? Mr. Speaker, will you grant my request that we have a call of the roll?

“My colleagues, this is the People’s House. When we came here, we each swore an oath to uphold and abide by the Constitution as representatives of the people. But the process here is broken. The institution is broken.

“And as a result, this bill is not what the American people need, nor what our constituents want. Americans are out there are making sacrifices and struggling to build a better future for their kids. And over the last year as the damn-the-torpedoes outline of this legislation became more clear, millions lifted their voices, and many for the first time, asking us to slow down, not try to cram through more than the system could handle. Not to spend money that we didn’t have. In this time of recession, they wanted us to focus on jobs, not more spending, not more government, certainly not more taxes.

“But what they see today frightens them. They’re frightened because they don’t know what comes next. They’re disgusted, because they see one political party closing out the other from what should be a national solution. And they are angry. They are angry that no matter how they engage in this debate, this body moves forward against their will.

“Shame on us. Shame on this body. Shame on each and every one of you who substitutes your will and your desires above those of your fellow countrymen.

“Around this chamber, looking upon us are the lawgivers – from Moses, to Gaius, to Blackstone, to Thomas Jefferson. By our actions today, we disgrace their values. We break the ties of history in this chamber. We break our trust with Americans.

“When I handed the Speaker the gavel in 2007, I said: “this is the people’s House – and the moment a majority forgets this, it starts writing itself a ticket to minority status. If we pass this bill, there will be no turning back. It will be the last straw for the American people. And In a democracy, you can only ignore the will of the people for so long and get away with it. And if we defy the will of our fellow citizens and pass this bill, we are going to be held to account by those who have placed us in their trust. We will have shattered those bonds of trust.

“I beg you. I beg each and every one of you on both sides of the aisle: Do not further strike at the heart of this country and this institution with arrogance, for surely you will not strike with impunity. I ask each of you to vow never to let this happen again – this process, this defiance of our citizens. It is not too late to begin to restore the bonds of trust with our Nation and return comity to this institution.

“And so, join me. Join me in voting against this bill, so that we may come together anew, and address this challenge of health care in a manner that brings credit to this body, and brings credit to the ideals of this nation, and most importantly, it reflects the will our people.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Best part of the debate, I thought.

becki51758 on March 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM

If tomorrow all the things were gone
. . I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
. . with just my children and my wife,
I’d thank my lucky stars
. . to be livin’ here today.
Cause the flag still stands for freedom
. . And they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American
Where at least I know I’m free
And I won’t forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I gladly stand up
. . next to you and defend her still today
Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA

From the lakes of Minnesota
… To the hills of Tennessee
… Across the plains of Texas
… From sea to shining sea
… From Detroit down to Houston
… And New York to LA
Well there’s pride in every American heart
And its time we stand and say..

That I’m proud to be an American

Who gave that right to me
And I gladly stand up . . next to you and defend her still today
Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA!

Lee Greenwood

Speakup on March 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM

It’s like speaking out against Fidel Castro in 1957. Nobody is listening.

RBMN on March 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Big talk. Too late. And just like that *snap*, we are Greece.

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Some of us are listening. Today is Day One.

Drained Brain on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Looking forward to November!

Oink on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Ryan’s speech was the best since he had those charts which exposed the bill for the sham we all know it is. But Boehner was also great. We need every GOP candidate’s speeches to sound exactly like that between now and November.

Doughboy on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Pelosi and company are banking on Americans having a short memory on this issue. If tea party protesters and like-minded Americans drop the ball and prove them right, then everyone will know that the tea party movement is just a toothless political “paper tiger.”

Come November 2010, politicians and pundits will learn one of two lessons. Either they will learn that the tea party protesters are all talk and no walk — or they will learn that the tea party protesters are a force to be reckoned with, and that anyone who crosses them does so at great political peril. Which lesson they learn will be up to us.

Hence, the medium term task for Americans who promised action in November will be to follow through on those promises.

Paul Hseih at Pajamas Media. The Dems are banking on the Tea Party movement dying out now that it failed to stop Obamacare.

And that the Dem PR campaign will make the public love Obamacare by November.

Wethal on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Boehner is going to look good sitting in that Speaker’s chair in January.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Boehner’s speech here is clearly the emotional high point of the evening for anyone opposing the bill, and hopefully can act as a rally cry to hold the Democrats accountable for this mess in November and beyond.

If something like this speech had not happened, I would have given up on the GOP as lost. This, combined with Ryan’s speech, acts as a small light of hope that we can focus on.

Ferris on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Never been a big Boehner fan. Now I am.

rock the casbah on March 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

It’s like speaking out against Fidel Castro in 1957. Nobody is listening.

RBMN on March 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Oh, I’m listening. The DEMS were able to vote yesterday, but AMERICANS will be voting in November.

Oink on March 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Ferris on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Don’t forget Mike Pence’s speech as well.

Oink on March 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Last night was the first time I understood the appeal of Rep. Boehner.

myrenovations on March 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Doughboy on March 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Mike Pence wins the day in my opinion, with his utter demolition of Bart Stupak and his blunt calling of Barack Obama as the most pro-abortion President in U.S. history. That’s the one that is going to leave a mark. And it was Pence’s idea to attach the Stupak amendment to the motion to recommit. I’m betting that Pence is the most hated Republican right now in the Democratic caucus.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I heard Krauthammer last night saying we will not be able to repeal this and that because there some good things in this bill that get implemented early, Republicans are not likely to gain as many votes as they think they will. I was sick ot my stomach. I could not watch Fox much last night: From Shep Smith (lib gloating scum) to GEraldo, I could not watch. Fox needs to get rid of these 2, come on, don’t the other networks and cable channels have enough libs? Can we have one either objective or slightly conservative channel withouth Jerry Springer characters on it?

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I like Boehner’s speech, but Ryan’s speech was the best last night. It appears to me we have a good crop of ready to take the regins of power, it will be up to us to make sure they do not succumb to it once they have it.

WashJeff on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Tyranny!

If you’ve ever wondered how political oppression feels . . . well now you know. Get your ire up and get ready to get rid of these despicable charlatans.

rplat on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I have suddenly gained a new-found respect for Boehner, but Paul Ryan is the man.

OmahaConservative on March 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM

It will be interesting to see, when the time comes, what he plans to do about it. I’m gonna go ahead and guess…absolutely nothing

It means nothing to go and rail on shady congressional operations when you’ve had your rear end parked in a congressional seat for as long as someone like Boehner.

ernesto on March 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

God will be their judge. Vengeance is in the hand of the Lord.

spmat on March 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Oink on March 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Now that we’ve hit the iceberg, the republicans will work like he11 for larger staterooms and their turn at the wheel. Big deal.

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Boehner is really a good speaker. I’ve heard him in small meetings and conferences, speaking without notes, and he always brings down the house. He may appear upper-crusty to some, with his permatan and his smooth voice, but he comes from a big blue-collar family and can speak with great passion a bout the real meaning of the American dream.

I thought Republicans did a great job of showcasing our younger and more energetic leaders, compared with the old fossils on display on the Democratic side.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Definitely a fan. They all did well last night, though. I was proud of them.

Bee on March 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

BOEHNER 2012

Notice as well, how he says “we failed” and “this body failed”…not an “us versus them”. Very smart.

JetBoy on March 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Like I said, WHERE has THIS GOP been the past four years?

Magnificent speech, incredible effort, integrity and civility from all the GOPers in the face of this disaster.

But I can only think if they’d been THIS focused, THIS dedicated to the public welfare, THIS open to the opinions of their constituents a whole lot earlier, schmaybe this could have been avoided entirely. And THAT pisses me off.

Now they need to STAY this was so we can move this abomination and it’s enablers back to the swamp they crawled out of. Are they up to it? For ALL our sakes, I hope so.

tree hugging sister on March 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Thank you Mr. Obama. I always wondered if I would live to see the day that one party had such a large majority in congress that a presidential veto couldn’t stop it. Because of your tireless efforts, the Republicans should have that by 2014.

Kataklysmic on March 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Good but at the end of the day no one pays attention to floor speeches.

Anyone remember what were the closing arguments against Medicare off of the top of your heads?

Exactly.

ckoeber on March 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I’ve always loved Boehner, and this is why. Can’t wait for him to take that gavel from Botox Pelosi in January.

NebCon on March 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM

My internet stopped working yesterday, but I made the point that communism is comign to this country and some moron said, no because we have no one party tyranny. Are you kidding me, no one party tyranny? what was that we saw last night? And then Mr. Dictator himslef, BO. That guy is such a megalomaniac. He was that way from the time he was a kid lying ot other kids that his loer alsoholic father was a prince. This guy, BO, thinks he is something great. He is a below average person who has been told by idiotic persons with white guilt that he is something he is not, and he beleives it. He reminds me of Nero, surrounded by people who told him he was a god and great, while knwoing he was a lunatic. BO is very very similar, in character and in purpose.

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

“jaketapper

Gibbs is sending out Frum’s piece > http://bit.ly/9iKLox

ninjapirate on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

WashJeff on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

That’s one aspect of the current political climate that’s overlooked by many. The GOP actually has a bright future. They’ve got rising stars like Ryan, Rubio, West, Cantor, and Pence. They’ve got established conservatives like Boehner, DeMint, Coburn, and Palin.

Who the hell do the Dems have? Who is the future of the Democrat Party? They’re all old, washed up, incoherent, and now tarnished by their votes for crap-and-betrayed, Porklulus, and Obamacare.

Doughboy on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I’ve given a lot of flak towards the GOP over the years, but I couldn’t be more proud of the way they fought this. Well done GOP, we may have lost the battle, but we on the field now see many generals who will help us win the war. Than you all. I called my state’s AG this morning (TX) just to say I support his effort to challenge this legally and to protect Texans. We only have eight months left, and now that there is a bill that all can see and read; I have no doubt that we’ll be able to keep the anger up as we dig deep within that beast to find out what foul stench lies in its belly. Stupak’s challenger needs money, let’s give it to him so we don’t have to give it to the IRS. Remember in November!

Weight of Glory on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

pretty good, though at this point we could use some Oliver Cromwell, Disolution of the Rump red meat

jp on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I love the “oh, Americans will forget by November” message the Democrats are trying to spread.

Ask George H.W. Bush how well that worked out.

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Bravo, Boehner!

TXMomof3 on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

ernesto on March 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

You obviously know nothing about his record. He has never taken an earmark. He has never made andy shady deals for votes. He was not part of the Tom DeLay machine, he took over for them after they were kicked out of the leadership. He masterminded the approach of total Republican opposition that has caused Obama’s and Congress’ approval ratings to drop like a rock.

I don’t know what some of you expected Boehner to do that he didn’t do on this legislation. Not a single Republican voted for it; it took massive arm-twisting and vote-buying by the Democrats to pull it off, and the House had to settle for the Senate bill in the end.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Best part of the debate, I thought.

becki51758 on March 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM

What, the whine of a pathetic LOSER?

Don’t you people get it? This is not a television show for your amusement.

This is complete DISASTER. The worst day in the history of mankind.

jay12 on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Work for impeachment or go home. Until power is regained, none of the measures such as repeal are going anywhere so have a bigger goal.

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

The worst of the lot is Bart Stupak who, after making such a show of his ‘principled stance’ against tax-funded abortion, folded like a whore’s cheap lingerie when it really matter.

ProfessorMiao on March 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Ask George H.W. Bush how well that worked out.

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

+1000

I hope Obama comes to my area trying to sell this turd. I plan to wave a huge banner saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

These people have theirs and they are not about to screw it up. Their value systems and their integrity are in their pocketbooks and they want no trouble with the controlling political force . . . ergo, they will pander as necessary. This battle must be fought at the grassroots level and don’t expect help from the talking heads on television.

rplat on March 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Last night was our Alamo. Lose the battle, but win the war.

I wonder what C-Span’s ratings were last night. Flipped between that & Life.

rbj on March 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

For all you eeyores out there…this event atrocity has forced America and Americans to turn a corner but not in the way you are all whining about.

Beck is on the radio and he is saying this has brought non political people out of the woodwork and off the fence. Obama voters and non voters alike are saying, hey WTF?

I had two text messages yesterday from friends who have called me a kook all year for my stance on what is happening. They said this bill will never happen. They were pissed and shocked. These are people who have never had a clue or an interest in anything other than their personal lives.

People are sensing things they can’t explain and now they’re asking ‘me’… me?… what just happened. Look for those opportunities you didn’t have a year ago.

An open mind is a terrible thing to waste!

katy on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Ask George H.W. Bush how well that worked out.

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The MSM and every celebrity in America spent eight years slamming Bush. Think that’s going to happen against the dems?

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Oops. Sorry. The one time I skip preview…

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Phyllis Schlafly issues broadside against Stupak & Co.
Posted by Staff
Phyllis Schlafly, president and founder of the conservative grassroots public policy organization Eagle Forum, made the following remarks after the public announcement that formerly pro-life Democrat Bart Stupak (D-MI) will cast a “yes” vote for the Senate health care bill today in the House: “It is naive for any elected official, especially one who describes himself as ‘pro-life,’ to expect that a promise to issue an Executive Order that reasserts the intentions of the Hyde Amendment will be fulfilled by the most pro-abortion president to ever sit in the White House. Perhaps Mr. Stupak and his fellow pro-life Democrats forget that President Obama’s first Executive Order was the repeal of the Mexico City Policy to allow for international funding of abortion.”
03/21/10 6:10 PM

OmahaConservative on March 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Weight of Glory on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

As did I, through FB. If this monstrosity is going to be stopped or slowed, the effort will have to come from the south because up here in the north the libs are thick and brainless.

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Following the vote on the massive health bill, Republicans challenged the Democratic bill’s language barring federal funding of abortions, saying it was weak and would effectively allow public funding for abortions.

Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan, who had fought for tough language barring federal subsidies for abortion coverage, denounced the Republican move, saying it was nothing more than an attempt to deny 32 million Americans health care. From the Republican side a voice shouted, “Baby killer!”

J_Crater on March 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Work for impeachment or go home.

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Much as I’d love to see that, it won’t happen over policy disagreements. What kind of precedent would that send?

Again…y’all now know why I campaigned so hard for McCain. Nothing The One and the Dem’s have done so far comes as any surprise.

JetBoy on March 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

You honestly believe the Senate would uphold a House impeachment… supposing that would ever happen? The best thing that ever happened tp Bill Clinton and Al Gore was impeachment.

mankai on March 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Please, please, pleeeeeeease don’t take everything Krauthammer says as gospel. I love the guy, but honestly, he’s so pessimistic and always assumes the worst but in this case he isn’t correct.

Puddleglum on March 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

This was his father. “Read my lips.” His broken promise couldn’t even overcome the mostly positive press he was getting as a result of the first Iraq war.

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

“…It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

“Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter’d your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

“Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil’d this sacred place, and turn’d the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress’d; your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse the Augean Stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings, and which by God’s help and the strength He has given me, I now come to do.

“I command ye, therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. You have sat here too long for the good you do. In the name of God, go!”

A version of Oliver Cromwell’s speech dismissing Parliament
20 April 1653

jp on March 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Who do we blame for last night? Well George W. Bush, of course:

The question conservatives should be asking though, is how did we get in this position in the first place? How come, over the course of two elections, Democrats were able to take back the White House and amass substantial majorities in both chambers of Congress, allowing them to enact this sweeping legislation with no Republican votes – and huge defections in their own party? How could a generally right-of-center nation be taken over by liberals from Chicago and San Francisco?
The answer, of course, is that none of this would have been possible without George W. Bush — or more broadly speaking, Bush era Republicanism. While they were in power, Republicans squandered an opportunity to push free market health care solutions. When they did use their power to pass major legislation, it was for policies like the big government Medicare prescription drug plan, which was (until today) the largest expansion of entitlements since the Great Society. They took earmarks and doled out farm and energy subsidies. They earned a reputation for fiscal recklessness and corruption and incompetent governance. President Obama ultimately forced through the health care bill in spite of the political consequences to his party because he’s ultimately a true believing liberal. But it was only because of the failures of Bush-era Republicanism that an ideological liberal with little experience was able to capture the presidency on the abstract notion of change.
Today will be largely remembered as the biggest legislative victory for liberals since Medicare in 1965. But it should also be remembered as the day that Bush cemented his legacy as one of the most destructive presidents for advocates of limited government.

Mr. Joe on March 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

katy on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Right on. Here is a notice to the eeyores, Thread Hijackers, Concern Trolls, and just plain stupid Trolls. The patriots on this site are in no mood today. You will be verbally smacked down in a manner you have not experienced before. This was the alarm clock that has awakened a sleeping giant. Average Americans who have not been paying attention are now and they are torqued off.
You can’t close Pandora’s Box once you have opened it.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Boehner, Ryan, Cantor, Pence…

These are all the guys there were silenced by the RINO-led GOP over the past years.

uknowmorethanme on March 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

That was really good. I also found it quite sad but comforting when he was talking about handing the gavel over to Botox witch and learning that if you don’t listen to the people you become the minority.

The GOP has learned a hard lesson here – too bad this is part of that lesson.

Boehner, Ryan, Pence, Cantor, Bachmann, etc have nothing to hang their heads about – they did everything humanly possible to stop what happened last night.

gophergirl on March 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Today we start every process we have to defeat these Progressive traitors. There is no reason to try one before trying another. Get them all going today in order to defeat this ASAP.

1) Repeal
2) Sue in federal court on constitutional grounds.
3) Begin gather states to convene a constitutional convention to make forced health care purchase, or any forced commodity purchase, to be unconstitutional. We have 38 states ready to sue. We only need 35 to amend the constitution.

csdeven on March 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM

mankai on March 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

No I don’t, but this molly-coddling (yes I said molly-coddling) has to stop; I don’t want the GOP to control the new healthcare bureaucracy, I want it gone.

This HC power grab was unconstitutional in almost every way, and the best we can ask for is a bunch of repeal amendments which are going to go nowhere until PBHO is gone? When is someone going to stand up and say NO, if not now, when the Constitution and rule of law are being dragged through the mud, then when?

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Ask George H.W. Bush how well that worked out.

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The other side of that tho is a lot of voters didn’t seem to care about Clinton’s misgivings and accusations of sexual misconduct. Or that he was voted out as governor previously.

JetBoy on March 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Thread winner!

Puddleglum on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

JetBoy on March 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Bill Clinton didn’t go full-bore Marxist on us either.

uknowmorethanme on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

We won (again), you lost, so get over it. Thank you so much George Bush. Your party’s ineptitude made this all possible.

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

What, the whine of a pathetic LOSER?

Don’t you people get it? This is not a television show for your amusement.

This is complete DISASTER. The worst day in the history of mankind.

jay12 on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

The worst day in the history of mankind – that is a bit much don’t you think? I think 9/11, the holocaust, the plague, Pearl Harbor, the tsunami, etc were a little bit worse than passing a health care bill.

This only is a disaster if we stand back and let it be one. Yes this isn’t good, yes this isn’t ideal, yes this sucks but it can be stopped, it can be repealed, it can be fought.

gophergirl on March 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Those who think this is over, that we will forget by November, that we are not listening or paying attention…

I have never seen Americans this focused and active. This is the beginning of the end for the Progressive Movement. Nobody, I mean Nobody will ever believe a word these people say again, nor will people forget the role the MSM played in this debacle.

Keemo on March 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Why do I feel like this is another “Where were you when…” moment like 9/11. Where are all the truthers now? This one really WAS an inside job!!!

PrincipledPilgrim on March 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

The only thing you’ve won is a seat at the defendant’s table.

uknowmorethanme on March 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

JetBoy on March 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Great catch.

This is very Lincolnian. Lincoln was always very careful to talk about slavery and the war as the moral responsibility of the whole nation, and never to descend into “we in the north are clean, the south is dirty” language. This was hugely important in defining the purpose of the war in a way that made reconciliation possible afterwards.

Boehner has wisely adopted a similar tactic that will help him if one day he is the Speaker.

Chuckles3 on March 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Well, GOP ineptitude and outright criminality by the Domestic Terrorist Party. But yeah.

Bishop on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Good speech, and even my Dem family members are incredibly wary about what will result from this bill.

There’s lots that just doesn’t add up in terms of helping real people.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

ROCnPhilly on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Okay…you do realize that this refers to Daddy Bush, right? I realize you are brilliant and all, just checking….

TXMomof3 on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I made sure to email my democrat representative to thank you for voting NO. One of the very few.

Mommynator on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Mr. Joe on March 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

that is a ridiculous article, the Dems had been trending farther left and generally speaking the country as a whole has been incrementally. They control our Education, Hollywood/culture and Major Media. This was inevitable.

On top of that, the article you cite is disingenous. TO think that Bush could pass any sort of “Free Market Health Care” is absurd. The dems would’ve fillibustered it, and scared the crap out of Republican politicians.

Remember when BUSH did try to Privatize Social Security? The Reps were so scared they wouldnt’ even debate it in Congress. Why? Because of Democrat Rhetoric against it is too effective, too damaging

To sit today, and blame Bush instead of Pelosi/Obama is the work of a Scoundrel.

jp on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

BreakingNews

The U.S. stimulus plan is increasing average tax refunds by about $260 or nearly 10%, says the White House http://bit.ly/an5pIh

Good lord, these people are shameless…

ninjapirate on March 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Slublog on March 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I missed the reference. But you are right about that. I was living in San Diego and working for a Republican state assemblyman when Bush did his 180 on taxes. The backlash was furious. Republicans lost a bunch of seats in California that year, even as they elected Pete Wilson governor.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

And your party’s ineptitude will make another Reagan possible, so thank you, thank you so much. We’ve needed another Reagan for a while now.

haikusrock on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

You will be verbally smacked down in a manner you have not experienced before.

Gentle is the word for the day for those of you deeply upset. However, I wouldn’t suggest you imagine that anyone actually “feels” words on a computer screen.

That’s pretty silly to give that kind of power over to someone you don’t even know.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

katy on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM

More people are paying attention now then I’ve ever seen.
The elite class laugh nervously and make themselves feel better by saying “they’re forget”, but they know what’s coming.

People paid more attention because this country elected the first black president, and because things have been moving too fast.
The people that I’ve known for years and now are just starting to talk about politics are frightened.

I mean, basically, the country is at war with the congress now. That’s how I see it anyway. And lemme tell ya, if you’ve been around liberal people for years like I have, you know this was bound to happen.
Give the radicals power and the war between the people and the congress with come to a head.

It was inevitable. It’s been on this course for about 10 years. Now it’s happening.
People said that when Scott Brown won that that win would save Obama’s presidency because he would “moderate” to the center. Wrong. This guy ain’t no moderate.

I have a feeling the same gloating liberals today will be whining in their kool-aid in Nov.

B Man on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I hope my rep Tom Price was right when he said that come November, they will be demanding repeal, and if 0 does not they will refuse to fund it AND will refuse to entertain any legislation that he wants. Not that it matters…. he will circumvent the system to get what he wants, either by more EOs, czars, or agencies.

PrincipledPilgrim on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Chuckles3 on March 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

That was his first speech as Speaker. And everyone in the House knew it.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

jp on March 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM

QFT.

Say what you will about Bush and Congressional Republicans…

But Liberals have always and will always stand against Liberty.

Holger on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I will say that watching this whole debacle go down I was reminded that Bushs’ greatest flaw was in his view of his political opponents as good, honest men and women with differences in views.
That mindset, also present in his father, in a very real way allowed the GOP to become dispirited and listless on the domestic policy front after 2004.
Going forward, nobody in the GOP need apply who does not see the Democrat party as an evil to be crushed politically at every opportunity- you don’t fight fire with a squirt gun.

jjshaka on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

nk that Bush could pass any sort of “Free Market Health Care” is absurd.

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

With the help of the MSM, their plan now is to change the subject. Stay mad America. And get ready for battles on immigration, card check, and cap and trade in the next few months.
America must take back Congress from these criminals.

Sugar Land on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Concern troll girl–you are starting it AGAIN this morning—that’s all you did yesterday, and we’re pretty fricking sick of your “hand wringing, the sky is falling, woe is me” crap…Take your CONCERN elsewhere…

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

jp you miss the point. Bush on spending is far better than Obama, about 10 times better if you go by deficits alone. But we lost Congress and the Presidency over betraying our conservative principals and the only way back is to uphold those principals.

And yeah, I blame Obama, Pelosi and Reid for this mess. But that does not mean GWB did not set the factors in motion that contributed to this.

Mr. Joe on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The party of NO indeed.

mycowardice on March 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM

they’re=they’ll

B Man on March 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

You won using criminal arm-twisting, back room deal making and reconciliation. You think that’s passing a bill on its merit? That’s not winning, that’s fiat. No, that’s just tyranny. Have a little intellectual dignity and own it, for God’s sake.

Bee on March 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Take a hike dipstick . . . your gaggle of crooks, Marxists, and fascists have taken the lead in this skirmish but there are many more to be fought. if you’ve ever been in a street fight you know that it’s not over as long as both contenders are still standing.

rplat on March 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM

If a GOP controlled Congress attempted to liberate the HealthCare industry, the Dems would do exactly what they did when we attempted Social Security.

jp on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

We’ve just unlocked the armory and now handing out rifles and bayonettes to those who didn’t want to see your socialist takeove coming. See ya in November when we fire the volleys into your gloating faces, Democrats.

shades_of_gasden on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

robertnyc212 on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM

The American people are not going to shut up. We are going to go down swinging. Go stand in line and beg your nanny state for another cup of gruel, Oliver. Your spineless party, through vile machination, has passed a bill designed to usher in the subjugation of Americans to a brand new Politboro. Shut up? He@@ no. You ain’t heard nothing yet. You tell your Liberal Congress that they just got the attention of Average Americans and they better have a second job that they can fall back on.

kingsjester on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

lovingmyUSA on March 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Rip ‘er up!

OmahaConservative on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Did you break the rule of law
And did you hate prosperity that you saw
As a chubby muslim kid
Is this all just vengence that you persue
Cuz your Mom and Dad abandoned you
Or is it the inner marxist you hid

Pelosi, Stupak and Harry Reid
Destroyed this nation with lightening speed
Cuz they have the votes to ram it through
Four years in power was all it took
To be robbed blind by thieves and crooks
With Obama, on the sidelines, smoking Kools

Now I know the dems are in love with sin
And they want our enemies to win
We all have to chose if we want to live with this abuse
We were strong and proud and kind and just
Until the left seized control of us
And now we are slaves to their statist views

Bye, bye Miss American Pie
I was fearful for my country but now my country has died
Them good ole dems were taking kickbacks and bribes
Singing this will be the day freedom died
This will be the day freedom died

DeweyWins on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

All dems have to be voted against, even the ones who voted NO on this bill. No credit should be given to them at all. This is time for all dems to be PUNISHED. They are all the same, a NO vote is just not good enough. THEY AMM MUST GO!!!! Start contributing money, I have. A nice war chest is very important.

immigrantchick on March 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM

AnninCA on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Do us all a favor and go troll elsewhere today.This is no time for your inane drivel.

katy the mean old lady on March 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM

B Man on March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Apparently it was Nancy Pelosi that convinced Obama to play hardball and not start over on health care. Rahm was telling him to. Nancy is the hardline leftist here, and she is 70 years old and rich and doesn’t care if she loses her Speakership now. This was HER dream and that of all the old liberal fossils like Charlie Rangel and Henry Waxman, and they made it happen. She destroyed the village in order to save it.

rockmom on March 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM