Stupak: You’re right, there’s nothing to stop Obama from rescinding that abortion order

posted at 4:10 pm on March 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to 3:10 for the key exchange. Or better yet, let me save you 10 minutes: He wanted to vote for the bill, so when they called his bluff by offering him nothing more than a flimsy EO, he took the deal and traipsed off to party the night away. The best he can do here by way of a defense is to note that, yes, while it’s true that The One could throw the order in the trash, it’s also true that had Stupak’s preferred abortion language ended up in the bill it could have been repealed by Congress later or even struck down in a court challenge. Which, while technically correct, is (a) dishonest, given that pro-choicers wouldn’t have had 60 votes in the Senate to undo it, and (b) surreal insofar as it amounts to an admission that the last few months of pro-life brinksmanship on his part were shadowplay. If the risk of pro-life legislation being undone was so great as to make an executive order an acceptable substitute to him, why the hell didn’t he negotiate an EO from the very beginning? Simply pitiful, but also appropriate as an exclamation point on how repulsive the O-Care process was from start to finish. The guy who made the biggest, noisiest show of standing on principle — who publicly admonished members of his own caucus for using abortions in their beancounting calculations — turns out to be the biggest fraud of all. Pitiful.

If you’re able to endure this to the very end, Kelly gets around to asking him about Republican Randy Neugebauer yelling “baby killer,” or rather “it’s a baby killer,” while he was speaking on the floor last night. Judging by my RSS feeds, the outrageously outraged media attention that’s getting this afternoon momentarily rivals coverage of the bill itself. I wonder why.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Abortion is not the only problem with this bill… If you are over 40 and get cancer, ALS, or any other “terminal” illness you will not be given the treatments that are necessary to keep you alive…you will be given the pain pill…if you have autism and it isn’t one of the forms that makes you very good at something you wont’ be treated for your illness since they will not see you as productive, same with a host of other conditions that put one in the “special needs” category…Down Syndrome you’re gone… bipolar disporder… no meds for you so you will be gone as well… after the say you are a danger to society…

Sabelius is a vile, cold and heartless woman…she is now extremely powerful…

How does Obama intend to give all these Democrats jobs after the next elections cycle in November? Can they all possibly get federal jobs???

CCRWM on March 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM

atheling on

As a Catholic and survivor of 12 years of Catholic school I believe whole heartedly.

Daveyardbird on March 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

” Baby Killer”. Add me to the list that yelled. I am proud of saying it. Prove me wrong. My donation is on its way to Benishek. I believe this putz ran interference for Pelosi this past few days and I’m mad as hell.

texriot on March 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

He sounds like Jerry Lundegaard (from Fargo) with all the stuttering and stammering, then the change of subject.

BKeyser on March 22, 2010 at 5:27 PM

BKeyser: Thanks for the vid,loved Fargo!:)

canopfor on March 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

believe meant agree

Daveyardbird on March 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Republicans: Raising babies and killing taxes.
Democrats: Raising taxes and killing babies.

carbon_footprint on March 22, 2010 at

I love this. If it is original I commend you

congma on March 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM

There’s a stupak born every minute

-Barack “PT” Obarnum

DrW on March 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Stupak spelled backwards is kaputs. And he is indeed kaputs.

meci on March 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Stupak probably was bought off at the same time as Bin-Nelson and Puff-Landrieu. All of Stupak’s posturing has been staged since that time and likely long before.

Stupak is a deceiver and that most certainly did not begin yesterday.

viking01 on March 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I just emailed Stupak’s office to let them know I will be sending money to his opponent in the fall. I told them that his defeat is a national priority and that all elections are of national importance.

We MUST communicate the extent of our anger to these people. This is the only way to put the brakes on Obama’s agenda is to let them know they will be punished.

R Square on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

has anyone had the idea that stupak and his “coalition” were part of a feint by obama and pelosi (or even rahmbo?)to take the gop’s attention away from other members of congress who they could have convinced to vote no?

the ease with which he changed his mind, and than ADMITS that an executive order is meaningless tells me that was the plan all along. the gop took their eye off of other members of congress and had their hopes set on a group of people who had no intention of voting against the party line.

good job, dems…you fooled us.

photoboy74 on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

This is the face of a defeated Lib former congressman.The more of these we can see on nov.3 2010 the better.The man is a liar or stupid or both.

thmcbb on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Rep. Stupak needs to feel the heat before November!

Are there any pro-life Democrats running against him in the August 3 Michigan Primary?

Let’s send a warning to other pro-abortion incumbents by knocking Stupak out of the race in August.

Rep. Stupak needs to be worried about both the Primary and the General elections in 2010!

wren on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Because they can’t find any video, audio of the name calling of blacks and gays…

reshas1 on March 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM

The whole adventure with Stupak was merely a diversion to make ObamaCare opponents believe that Pelosi would never get the 216 needed, when they intended to vote for it all along.

J_Crater on March 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I like where Stu said Obama could rescind the executive order during the 10th year of his presidency.

Hint

deadenders on March 22, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Stupak spelled backwards is kaputs. And he is indeed kaputs.

meci on March 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

LOL Someone needs to use that in an attack ad. It should be a sign that says STUPAK, then him looking into a mirror as Randy Neugebauer yells “baby killer” in the background. Make sure to roll the footage of Bart Stupak telling his constituents at a townhall that he would vote for a bill regardless of whether it protected the unborn or not. Point out that House and Senate legislation would allow a new “public” insurance plan to cover abortions, despite language added to the House bill that technically forbids using public funds to pay for them. Stupak always knew the EO was worthless. His betrayal of the people who voted him into office and his false assertions that he is pro-life, and while hiding behind his faith, are despicable. Let the dogs loose on this cowardly traitor.

chunderroad on March 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM

wren on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

You mean there is a Democrat you would trust after this criminal display?

Wade on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Some probably wont like what I’m about to say but I still like Stupak. He made a foolish mistake. He got suckered into making a bad decision that he didn’t thoroughly think through. You can tell he knows it during this interview. In the end, I believe, he will admit he made a bad decision.

shick on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Representative Neugebauer is a hero. He called this travesty what it is. I hope decent people will be sending him a campaign donation.
Sen. McCain complains about the bill now? Where was he in September and October 2008? He told scared seniors it was ok to vote for barfy.
If he had fought as hard for votes as he did for immigration reform, he would be president and this wouldn’t have happened.

lonestar1 on March 22, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Here is an exclusive picture of Rep Stupak with the President’s EO in hand…

sacfly on March 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Meghyn had this face that said, “How could you?” I bet, hard for her, when she’s a new mom and Jr. is 6 mos. old.

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM

shick on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

No he didn’t get suckered. He had 5 months since his last vote and 7 months before that to think it through.
He thought it out and voted the way he wanted to. Let him suffer the consequence! The rest of us have to.

lonestar1 on March 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Take a STD test, Stupak. You got screwed bareback. Actually, so did we!

SouthernGent on March 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I need to fetch who’s running against Kathy Dahlkemper (D-PA) Distr. 3, so she’s mine for the target. As soon as I find out I will let y’all know.

Boy did she put Erie, PA on the map!

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM

He just doesn’t get it does he. That order would be worthless in court if the wording of the actual law should be challenged as to actual clarification. The words of the law and the law only will be what the court will consider. When I first heard of this guy and he came on the scene I thought that at least he was smart and principled enough to know and understand what he was doing. What a mis-judgment that turned out to be. I suppose he was just looking for support for his airports or something like it. Big disappointment this guy.

jeanie on March 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM

This, from my newspaper website, her reaction/explanation/whatever:

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I finally got it! The uh,uh,uh Pres. promised all the congress people they would be head of the 150+ depts. this bill is going to create…..for those that were willing but did not have to, they get to work for the IRS. Wonder which one this Stupak will be head of?

4reds on March 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM

It’s better to shout “baby killer” when it is your turn to speak and you have a pre-printed poster with the those words on it ala Rep. Grayson (D-FL).

kringeesmom on March 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

A Foolish Mistake ??!!!!

In a Klaus Barbie sort of way or a Vidkun Quisling sort of way?

Stupak’s sellout could result in the premature or scheduled deaths of millions for a mere 750,000 in airport bribes.

viking01 on March 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Never trust a ‘Rat.
Never, ever trust a ‘Rat.
Never trust a ‘Rat.

Stupak needs cover with his pro-Life constituents, so he did his little fan dance. But when push came to shove, he was going to be there for his leadership. They protected him as long as they could. But when the chips were down, they called in his vote, and he meekly submitted.

This is all political posturing. Bark Stupak has revealed himself to be both a liar and a sell-out. Clearly, he did not have any problems with voting for federal funding of abortion. He just needed protection from his constituents.

Never trust a ‘Rat.
Never, ever trust a ‘Rat.
Never trust a ‘Rat.

Not the most interesting haiku ever, but some things just need to be repeated.

Haiku Guy on March 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM

As long as the GOP continues to apologize for speaking the truth they are totally useless. Why are they apologizing for calling Stupak what he is, a baby killer? Stupak is stupid, a liar and a baby killer and the sooner the people here in his district say that with feeling and conviction, the sooner we can get rid of this moron!

flytier on March 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Found somebody, let me figure this guy out, but hey it’s a start!

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Party philosophies change over time. Right now the Democrat Party is pro-abortion. If you are a Democrat running for office, by default you are pro-abortion. Democrats do not get elected by saying they are pro-life. Their party platform says otherwise and by representing that party you officially accept the party platform and philosophies.

Bart Stupak is a Democrat. In the end he supported his party’s platform. No surprise. That is also why the term ‘Blue Dog’ Democrat is a non-entity. They are Democrats. regardless of what they say, read the party platform and THAT is what they will follow when it’s time to vote. The vote last night substantiates that.

Now to elect Republicans who believe in small government! The Tea Party activists and real fiscal conservatives will help us find those candidates.

Retired Sailor on March 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Guys, this website is way better, and more accurate. US Map goes down to your very own district with full info. Dahlkemper is PA-3.

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

WOW we got 3 Republicans against her!

ProudPalinFan on March 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Time to:

ESSO

Everyone SUPPORT STUPAK’S OPPONENT!

All the weasels who helped construct this unconstitutional feces fajita needs to be THROWN out of power.

REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

profitsbeard on March 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Stupak to be stunned by Obama / abortion payments in 5….4….

PappyD61 on March 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM

ANYONE in DC that supports Abortion should be confronted hy truthspeak.

They are “baby killers”.

PappyD61 on March 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Just saw this on FB by Americans Against Acorn.

Stupak spelled backwards: KAPUTS

Mirimichi on March 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Are there any pro-life Democrats running…

wren on March 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

What’s a pro-life Democrat?

catmman on March 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Uh….Did I hear Stupak right when he said there is nothing that would stop this President from repealing this order a month from now….10 YEARS FROM NOW….

Hello – WTF….10 years from now. Somebody ‘splain to me what he meant by that.

poppieseeds on March 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

shick on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

And the RIGHT and HONORABLE thing to is resign or commit Hara-Kari.

belad on March 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

10 years from now.
poppieseeds on March 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I caught that too…do they know something we don’t?

yoda on March 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM

belad on March 22, 2010 at 7

And the RIGHT and HONORABLE thing to do is resign or commit Harakiri.

Fixed!

belad on March 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

What’s a pro-life Democrat?

catmman on March 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Oxymoron, or just moron like all the rest?

IrishEyes on March 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

What’s a pro-life Democrat?

catmman on March 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

It’s like a unicorn…a figment of the tortured imaginations of liberals.

As Bart Stupid shows, there is no such thing. This is a clown who publicly defined himself by one position — religious opposition to abortion — and when it came time to take his stand?

He decided…he likes frogs, or something. Abortion? Oh, look — a pretty butterfly!

Jaibones on March 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

This guy is no more Pro-Life than Nancy Pelosi.

Liberalism and 700K for some airports in the UP of Michigan are more important than life to Bart “Sellout” Stupak.

What a colossal tool.

mizzoujgrad on March 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM

shick on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Well, gee, at least we got that going for us.

Yea, that and trillions of dollars will buy us squat.

Jvette on March 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Sorry I am coming in late to the discussion but does anyone think that it is odd that a Democrat (supposedly a group of them) made abortion the issue in this drama? Obviously he folded like a cheap suit but when people look back and talk about abortion being a “defining” issue in the process I wonder how it will be retold? Since Mr. Stupak doesn’t appear to be an idiot I feel like the public was played. He never intended to vote against this bill, he just didn’t want to appear like a cheap date to his constituents.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM

“There’s nothing that would stop this president . . . 10 years from now . . .” Was that just a slip of the tongue or wishful thinking? This president will NOT be president 10 years from now unless the constitution is changed. He won’t even be president 4 years from now.

miron on March 23, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Your career is over STUpidPricK. Now get the f**k out.

ronnyraygun on March 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

The secular part of my personality would like to sentence Stupak and his family to watching 24 hours straight of abortion procedures.

The Christian side of me prays for his soul, because he is obviously an unholy mess.

badtemper on March 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM

You mean there is a Democrat you would trust after this criminal display?

Wade on March 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I can proudly say I have been voting for 46 years, and not once have I ever voted for a Democrat.

Dasher on March 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Dasher on March 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I’ve been voting for 12 years…I vow to never vote democrat as long as I live.

Conservative Samizdat on March 24, 2010 at 12:03 AM