Diane Sawyer to Pelosi: Damn, you’re powerful

posted at 7:04 pm on March 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

A nifty accompaniment to Mark Halperin’s column in Time warning the GOP that if they think the media’s in the tank for O-Care now, just wait until the red wave starts to crest.

The President, however, may be indifferent to the acrid fussing of his Republican foes. He will be able to bask once again in the glow of positive press coverage (accented by a momentous signing ceremony), which will focus on four areas helpful to the Democrats’ prospects in November: the masterful display of White House patience and competence that got the job done; the elements of the legislation that are in fact consistently popular with large numbers of Americans, such as its insurance-company crackdowns; the return of the meme that Republicans are the party of No; and the accompanying rising poll numbers for the Administration and the new law…

Democrats will be joined in the fray by much of the press. For Republicans, this will seem like familiar ground, since generations of conservatives have complained that the so-called mainstream media have been biased against them. Well, get ready, Republicans, for déjà vu all over again. The coverage through November likely will highlight the most extreme attacks on the President and his law and spotlight stories of real Americans whose lives have been improved by access to health care (pushed, no doubt, by Democrats from every competitive congressional district and state). The louder Republicans yell, the more they will be characterized and caricatured as sore losers infuriated by the first major delivery of candidate Obama’s promise of “change.” The focus on the weekend’s alleged racial and gay-bashing verbal attacks by opponents of the Democrats’ plan should be a caution to Republican strategists trying to figure out how to manage the media this year.

I have to say, quite apart from my rooting interest in the election, I’m really, really looking forward to it as a political junkie. Not only will it be fun to watch Krugman, Frank Rich, and the entire MSNBC crew struggle to one-up themselves in finding pejoratives to toss at the conservative base, but I’m dying to know which side is right about this bill being a political winner or loser. Admittedly, the results won’t settle anything definitively: If the Democrats go down hard, they’ll blame “poor messaging” or unemployment or the fact that they didn’t make O-Care bigger or more socialistic, or anything else they can to avoid acknowledging the elephant in the room. The progressive dream of ages simply cannot be unpopular on the merits; there must be … something else. And so there will be, at least in their talking points. But for the undecideds, it’ll be a true empirical moment. In that same vein, see Ross Douthat’s and Megan McArdle’s posts today about the one thin not-so-silver lining in O-Care — the fact that the left’s rose-colored assumptions on everything from lives saved to money saved to improvements in quality of care will now be tested in the public laboratory. There’s no mystery what the prescription will be if that experiment fails too — spend more, more, more! — but at least we’ll finally know who was right. Here’s hoping, for all of our sakes, that our side was wrong.

So ingrained has the “ObamaCare will help us in November!” spin become on the left that Ed’s pal Tommy Christopher is now actually predicting that the Democrats might … pick up seats. I hope O-Care pays for whatever head injury you may have recently suffered, Tommy. Exit question: With the media in the tank and the bill itself so manifestly awesome, why is Obama planning a multi-yearyes, really — effort to sell it to the public?

Update: A friendly reminder from CQ Politics: 2010 isn’t necessarily the end of the damage to the new Lords of Medicine.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here’s hoping, for all of our sakes, that our side was wrong.

AP, this is a joke…right? That is hope-n-change type wishful thinking in which only the looniest of loons could engage.

You even said earlier today in your Mitt post exactly how O-Care will turn out in light of the fact that every single individual piece thereof has failed miserably in their state lab trial runs.

So, again, this is a joke…right?

russcote on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I have to admit that I have to slap myself to keep from being aroused by Nancy Pelosi. I really like strong women who can get the job done – I wish she was a Republican.

Seriously dude – this woman is a MACHINE! She has been pwning Republicans since the TARP when she wagged her finger at them and told them to shove it up into a deep dark place. There is no equivalent of Nancy Pelosi on the GOP side. The Democrats were down and out … and they prolly still are … but Pelosi pulled out an amazing F.U. here and jammed it to the Republicans one more time.

It doesn’t matter how far she’s down in the points – she swings for the fence!

I’m sorry – I know it soooo wrong – but it’s kind of HOT I think.

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her.

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I’d be banned from HA if I were to write how I feel about this sub-human.

Suffice it to say, I don’t like her.

madmonkphotog on March 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Yes, we must observe proper decorum towards even those who enslave us, pick our pockets and destroy the Constitution otherwise our society could slip into some kind of chaos or heartache or something.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Diane Sawyer to Pelosi: Damn, you’re powerful

No worthy person enjoys exerting power upon others, nor does any worthy person admire someone who does enjoy doing so.

MB4 on March 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

They won’t have to worry about elections ever again once they grant Amnesty to everyone who will pledge to vote for them.

Dork B. on March 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

With a huge majority in the House; an almost equally huge majority in the Senate and control of the White House, tell me just what the Democrats have accomplished again???

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

GoldenEagle4444 on March 22, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her.

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Just threw up a little; please, you’re kidding right? You mean you wish the GOP had someone willing to piss on the Constitution, ends justify the means, ignore the will of the people and the rule of law, etc. etc.?

Firefly_76 on March 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Sure WE get it….. But do you think that the average personthat gets their news from Katie Brian or Diane really care about the Caliph and his policies?

Are Joe Average worried about anything but getting the kids to soccer practice and the latest posted by their friends on Facebook or their upcoming vacation?

Let’s hope so!!!

PappyD61 on March 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

This is the mind set of a delusional psychopath.

MB4 on March 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Take a look at the MSM press releases today. Practically no mention of the cost. All I’ve see on Yahoo News and Comcast News is a breakdown of which “benefits” start now and which “benefits” we have to wait for.

The American dunce voter was easily duped in 2008. I fear he will be duped again in 2010 thinking this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

angryed on March 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

They’ve set us back in every catagory and racked up trillions in debt.

Dork B. on March 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Firefly_76 on March 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hell yea I do.

Instead we have John “Obama is a wonderful man” McAmnesty as one of our so called leaders. And we wonder why the Dems roll over us every time.

angryed on March 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her.

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

The more remote the better.

MB4 on March 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

The biggest danger will be a double-edged sword:

On the one hand the media will be touted every anecdotal sob story Obama can throw at them.

On the other hand, deficit projections will be coming down because of the frontloading of taxes.

If the media doesn’t report “well, yes, but the SPENDING hasn’t started yet”…we may have a tough time of it. I don’t count on them reporting it accurately. They’ll laud him for controling the deficit AND providing new benefits.

The GOP better be ready.

jeanneb on March 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM

We can’t have someone like Pelosi because the media will tear them apart, and for some odd reason, Republicans still feel the need to pander to the media.

It’s pretty much a case of one side does whatever the hell they want, and gets away with it and the other side is constantly walking on egg-shells.

The Dems practically have a monopoly on the flow of information to the masses.

reaganaut on March 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

apparently that right wing shill CBS NewsPoll has Pelosi favorability rating at…11%…hm should have thrown something their way in that obamacare pack, maybe they could have stretched it to 17

runner on March 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

It doesn’t matter how far she’s down in the points – she swings for the fence!

I’m sorry – I know it soooo wrong – but it’s kind of HOT I think.

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her.

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

No country remain free under such despotic power. Some of the current worship of powerful politicians may come from those who admire strength and accomplishment of any sort. Others hail the display of political strength simply because they approve of the result reached by the use of power. This is nothing less than the totalitarian philosophy that the end justifies the means If ever there was a philosophy of government totally at war with that of the Founding Fathers, it is this one.
- Barry Goldwater

MB4 on March 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

angryed:
There were the Nebraska voters. I didn’t think I’d ever see a bunch of voters boo their congressman for bringing them a special deal. They not only booed, I think they threw pizza at him!

That gives me hope that voters may be ready to look beyond their own selfish interests. We’ll see.

jeanneb on March 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her

We do but they are not in politics per se. I’d enjoy seeing Ann Coulter and Nan challenge each other. If she were not Speaker she couldn’t get away with all the rules bending she regularly does. Or Laura or Michelle…it’s the power of the Office that gives Nan her edge. Personally I think the Speaker has too much power.

jeanie on March 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM

MB4 on March 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Amen.

Firefly_76 on March 22, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Too bad Basil Fawlty didn’t interview her…it…whatever.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Damn that Heinrich Himmler was powerful!

The left’s fascination of the anti-democratic impulse is soo revealing. Rarely if ever questioning the abuse of power from the left. To the left, the commoner are all rubes that must be provided for by the intelligentsia. The paternalistic state. They only require your property and liberty in exchange and sometimes life but those anomalies are usually easily explained away as the unfortunate excesses of a good idea that went a little too far.

Exhibit A:
Lenin
Stalin et al
Hugo Chavez
Fidel Castro
Khmer Rouge
Ho Chi Minh
Mussolini
Hitler
Mao
Various left wing terrorists

R Square on March 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Nancy’s loving the fawning but deep down inside she wants one more thing………the cover of People magazine. It’s the holy grail for the celebupol.

sherry on March 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I’m sorry – I know it soooo wrong – but it’s kind of HOT I think. I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her. HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Dude!!!!!! This has to be the most disturbing thing I have read.

Dingbat63 on March 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Nancy has all our money, the Godlike powers of the speaker and no ethical limits. These and only these are what got her this victory. Especially the money. No way it would have happened without the bribes. By the way–what did Kucinich get? Anyone know?

jeanie on March 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I hope President Obama uses another stadium but I’d like to see huge spotlights and torches this time because it looks soo cool. He could be driven into the stadium standing in the back of a convertible. It would be sooo great. He could look down at the adoring crowds with that sort of dismissive sneer before raising his chin in that wonderful imperial way.

It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

So far I’ve been disappointed in the organizing for Obama America organization. I had expected to see video of them doing calisthenics and wrestling. So many good ideas.

My favorite: He May be a communist. An anti communist propaganda movie from the 50s….once laughable…now…maybe not so much. The money shot occurs within the first minute.

R Square on March 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Pelosi’s ratings are at 11%, Reid’s at 8% and Congress’ at 14%. See Drudge.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Nancy will die alone in an Obamacare health ward while her grandchildren fight over what’s left of her money.

that is, if God has a sense of humor.

gordo on March 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Female version of a circle jerk.

tessa on March 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

My wife is from a foreign country, and I wanted to show her the “kill the bill!” protesters in front of the Capitol on Saturday afternoon…

After passing in front of the Capitol (by the roundabout) I tried to drive around the National Mall…

Impossible… The roads adjacent to the Mall were blocked off… Lots of protesters at the Capitol building AND on the Mall…

The mob is angry… IT IS TIME to take back OUR country!

Khun Joe on March 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Well… taking a peek at the latest picture of her on Drudge might make you feel better.

paragon27x on March 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Pelosi’s ratings are at 11%, Reid’s at 8% and Congress’ at 14%. See Drudge.

Schadenfreude on March 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I have better pools than that. 16% in America and 99% in Russia.

PootyPoot on March 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM

English not so good yet.

Я имею более лучшие списки избирателей чем то. 16% в Америка и 99% в Россия.

PootyPoot on March 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Well, the most powerful woman in the world is now at an 11% approval rating.

Guess her power has its limits, huh?

pilamaye on March 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I cannot bring myself to click on a Pelosi video. The ruthless phony has never told the truth in her political life. Sawyer should stop acting like a groupie.

I liked this comment by Sam Defre in response to today’s “Best of the Web”:

James Tarranto illustrates the problem with republicans, conservatives.. white washing democrats actions and how the national media collaborates with democrats to dupe the public.

A whole column and it’s convoluted explanation for why this bill got passed when all he should have wrote is that the democrats leadership used brute political force that would never be tolerated by republicans because democrats have the media covering for them so the public excepts it and republicans allow it.

Democrats voted for No Child Left Behind, and still campaigned against it, democrats voted for the Iraq War and still campaigned against it, democrats voted for the Medicaid part D and still campaigned against it, the media would never allow republicans to be this hypocritical.
Or allow republicans to pass a bill this consequential using all these nasty games and bribes, strong arming all opposition, against public opinion with only partisan votes, especially after they did it with the stimulus and all the republicans predictions came true….

while the national media puts their thumbs on the scale for democrats and the left media from popular culture, John Stewart, Letterman, Maher and news outlets Huffington Post , MSNBC, NYT’s opinion column use outright hostility and ridicule to any person or group who oppose the democrat/progressive agenda

and then there’s the conservative media from Fox to the WSJ, constantly pretending there’s 2 sides, making sure to give equal parts blame to republicans and democrats, pretending that democrats don’t have a massive advantage and aren’t held to different standards then republicans ….

And the last bit about Bart Stupak was a insult , really everyone by now knows Stupak had no intentions of voting against the healthcare bill if his and or his coalitions votes were needed to pass it, there is even video of him expressing that himself.

I hope republicans, conservatives start growing some balls and call out a spade a spade and start taking on the national media more directly on their biases and hypocrisy.. or America is doomed.

onlineanalyst on March 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Damn, she’s powerful…..and stupid…..and going to lose miserably in November. The liberal media still doesn’t get it. Dian Sawyer doesn’t, and neither the Associated Press. Just look at the Yahoo front page. “Baby killer!” defines GOP. Bullsh*t!
Sadly, they (the media) is never going to get it. We don’t want Obama/Pelosi/Reid’s socialism, and we sure as he** don’t need the media cheerleading them!

NathanG on March 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

How depressing is it that after the dumba$$ won he still has to keep selling it? I know that everyone is focused on the health care bill right now because it is the latest and greatest but this was not their first misstep or the only thing they have to answer for in the upcoming election. Most of us were unhappy with TARP but the fact that it was used for purposes not specified in the legislation many consider it a misappropriation of funds. Then add to that the “Stimulus” bill, Cap and Trade has passed in half of Congress and we have issues galore to campaign on.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

How will the Dems be able to haul out their miracle health stories if the benefits don’t kick in until 2014?

If the taxes for this boondoggle are retroactive to January of 2010, does that mean that those who get “tax credits” for being too poor to pay taxes somehow make a killing?

onlineanalyst on March 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Diane Sawyer to Pelosi: Damn, you’re powerful

Exactly whose money do Sawyer and Pelosi think that they are slinging around to maintain that “power”?

onlineanalyst on March 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Dude… I got to tell you, the dry heaves after a projectile vomiting episode really hurt.

The permanent psychological scars? I guess that will be my “pre-existing condition”.

paragon27x on March 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I just wish we had someone on the GOP side remotely like her.

HondaV65 on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Ann Coulter
Michelle Malkin
Michelle Bachmann
Sarah Palin
Megyn Kelly
S.E.Cupp
Laura Ingram
Pamela Geller
Mary Katherine Ham
and more.

…shall I continue?

HAnthonyWayne on March 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

It is sad to see someone use the word “power” in a positive connotation when that power was used to subvert the constitution and the will of the American people.

In that context, Hitler was powerful. Lenin was powerful. Pol Pot was powerful.

You’re in great company Nancy.

csdeven on March 23, 2010 at 12:15 AM

y’all know that if we ALL change the channel, the MSM will only be talking to themselves! Since 2008, I get my news online and FNC oh and my local fox channel for weather and community news.

TN Mom on March 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Exit question: With the media in the tank and the bill itself so manifestly awesome, why is Obama planning a multi-year — yes, really — effort to sell it to the public?

I saw this story earlier and wondered the same thing. Is it just that he’s incapable of not campaigning? I mean, what do they care at this point whether we’re sold on it or not?

NoLeftTurn on March 23, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Sure, Pelosi is great at breaking kneecaps, but she’s dumb as a box of rocks. A recent study indicates that Botox may gravitate to other areas of the body, especially the brain. That can’t be good, and Nancy Pants is Exhibit A.

Just listen to her talk, if you dare, through that stupid frozen Botox grin. She’s a villain straight out of Batman.

So Barry is going on the road (like he’s ever left?) to convince people that they really, really love ObamaCare. Good luck with that, sport. Nothing like slipping the knife in the back and then twisting and twisting for months on end to help people forget who used the knife in the first place.

And people think this guy is brilliant. Let me be clear…not smart, and when it comes to lying, he makes Nixon look like a piker.

Meredith on March 23, 2010 at 2:50 AM

I am not watching this. No way.

Terrye on March 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM

So, again, this is a joke…right?

russcote on March 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I think that AP was referring to the predictions that Megan made concerning how many people lived and died, etc. If we are right, there will be no real sign of longer life spans or saved lives etc.

Terrye on March 23, 2010 at 5:58 AM

…shall I continue?

HAnthonyWayne on March 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Oh, I Will.

Andrea Tantaros
Monica Crowley
Rachel Marsden

And Ours don’t need a dozen filters draping the camera’s lens for its own protection either.

Teddy on March 23, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Powerful my a$$. She rules her party’s members with threats of dungeon duty if they don’t fall in line. Then the cushy lifestyle they’re now accustomed to would be a thing of the past.

She is truly the biggest airhead in all of congress. Without money to bribe, and the ability to affect the existence of the members, she’d be nothing.

stacman on March 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM