Video: Ryan vs Slaughter on Medicare reform

posted at 1:48 pm on March 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats like Louise Slaughter keep saying that Republicans have no plan to reform health care. Paul Ryan showed up at the Rules committee meeting today to explain that they do — and demonstrate that Democrats either don’t understand it or want to ignore it. Either way, Ryan finally forces Slaughter to get help from Xavier Becerra, but Becerra also manages to miss the point. This clip is getting a lot of attention on Twitter, and for good reason:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Of course Rahm will always be closing, but they are weak the other way. If the momentum shifts enough, they will gradually start falling away too and Obama loses the opportunity to rahm this home.

This can still be beat. It need not be the Alamo, but Bastone, with public sentiment as Patton.

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Paul Ryan, national treasure.

IrishEi on March 20, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Why doesn’t this guy run for President in 2012? He absolutely owns anyone he debates. Maybe at least as a VP candidate in 2012. Could you imagine Ryan debating Biden in the VP debates? Comedy gold.

JohnInCA on March 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Paul Ryan is smart as a whip.

I would have choked Slaughter unconscious after interrupting me.

daesleeper on March 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

JohnInCA on March 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Go back and watch Palin dismantle Joe. It was hilarious watching Biden just make stuff up.

daesleeper on March 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

This hag needs to have her mouth taped shut so the questions she asks can be answered.

thomasaur on March 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

UPDATE: Politico confirms no deal coming between Stupak and Pelosi http://bit.ly/bDYunI

At Least 25,000 Protesters Descend on Congress to Protest Obamacare; UPDATE: Pics Added From Rally http://bit.ly/9ESUp9

New Article: Obama on Obamacare: Most Misleading Presidential Speech in American History? http://bit.ly/bZSiQc

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on March 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Just another dumb femininazi legislator.

Kermit on March 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM

If this woman gets even one vote in her next election, I will be forced into the conclusion that this is all just a bad LSD trip.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Fox News Live Stream Tea Party

Dr Evil on March 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

P.S. Somebody shake me when this is over.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Watching this on CSPAN2 is so frustrating. They are discussing critical aspects of what this bill will and will not do. Republicans make some great points and expose the Democrats logical fallacies, they debate for a few minutes, then they just move on. Now Slaughter is stifling debate by saying to be brief we have a lot to talk about.

SSgtDC on March 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Wow. He cleans their clocks.

drjohn on March 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

The only Republican capable of verbalizing conservative policies.

If he’s not in the leadership in the next go round…..it’s a mistake.

rickyricardo on March 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Do you all realize that people like Louise Slaughter actually have the power that will effect our lives…?

By the way, since they are still tallking about the “Rules” to circumvent the Constitution, they can’t even do that right.

The more this is televised, the more they are exposed.

… THEY DON’T HAVE THE VOTES!!!

(… by the way, I have a man crush on Mr. Ryan. Me likey the way he is getting in their faces!)

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

And Slaughter is one dumbass Congressperson.

drjohn on March 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

True leaders emerge from crisis leadership. Never predictable, but America’s greatest leaders came from crises.

Washington
Lincoln
Reagan
Eisenhower

Ryan??

tatersalad on March 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

BOEHNER/RYAN 2012!

Go for it!

percysunshine on March 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Paul Ryan is amazing. He really needs to consider a presidential run.

walnut on March 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Dr Evil on March 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Cool link. Thanks.

This could be fun.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Ryan and Cantor or Cantor and Ryan in 12. Bye Bye Obumbler

Dingbat63 on March 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Thank you Paul for fighting this tooth nail! We appreciate you and stand by you.

javamartini on March 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Three Dems, no teeth.

Oh, Teh Hilarity!

Christien on March 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Becerra, Democrat, California, broke-ass.

And we should listen to what he says, why?

These are the kind of C-Span discussions that should have been out there 14 months ago and we wouldn’t even be here right now. The bill would have been dead a long time ago.

Of course, hiding the details of the final legislation and ignoring Republican for 14 months helped move the bill along quite nicely.

Good for Ryan for hanging in there and fighting for all Americans and not JUST those in his district. He’ll make a great President some day. A politician who actually thinks like a Governor.

Mr_Magoo on March 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Any time some lib says “You don’t understand the bill,” ask them if they understand it…

Point by point.

Yeah, I know. A Dem will say “You’re out of order!” or “I’m the one asking the questions!”

Liam on March 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Palin/Ryan 2012

Rebar on March 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Could someone post a link to a transcript? Not enough bandwidth here in Kandahar to watch videos, and this is one that I actually want to watch!!!!

donkichi on March 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Becerra and Slaughter are missing gray matter. They didn’t know a wit about what they were talking about. They criticized two proposals in his bill that they have in their own bill. Ugh. What fools.

andy85719 on March 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

BOEHNER/RYAN 2012!

Go for it!

percysunshine on March 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

YEAH!!!!!!

bperiwinkle on March 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Cool link. Thanks.

This could be fun.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

We have to wait with Carl Cameron but he is reporting on Waxman and I forget who else, saying they won’t go for Deem and Pass….Waxman won’t go for Deem and Pass…uh Houston..uh I mean Slaughter, we have multiple failures on all engines :)

Dr Evil on March 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM

walnut on March 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

At least he has a grip on the facts, and a gift for explaining his position. That’s “3000%” better than the Jug-eared Jackass can truthfully claim.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The one good thing that shines through from all this exposure…we have some really dumb people running this country. Paul Ryan makes it clear that these three Dem morons haven’t a clue.

d1carter on March 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM

So the dem weenies are going to seal their fate by voting for the Senate pile of crap. Yeah, they will all be out in November then. Even retards understand that kind of vote. Tsk, tsk tsk. Oh actually, that means two votes. Tsk tsk tsk. Sad. Hope Slaughter is slaughtered at the polls.

andy85719 on March 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Ryan is obviously a racist.

rogerb on March 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM

How in the world did Slaughter get to be Committee Chair? What a dope.

Ryan is great.

Does anyone notice that the premise of these arguments all assume nationalization of healthcare to some extent? Socialism is already here in many forms.

conservative pilgrim on March 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Where do I sign up for Congressman Paul Ryan’s HealthCare Plan?

A vote for ObamaCare is a VOTE to bankrupt the USA. You hear that, Congressman Tanner (D-TN)?

TN Mom on March 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Well Our friend AnninCA, thinks they don’t need to do deem and pass. In her wisdom she said they have enough votes for a straight up or down. We need to all relax now and except our fate /sarc

sandee on March 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM

How in the world did Slaughter get to be Committee Chair?

Congress is broken beyond recognition, as best as I can tell from here. Farking disgusting, isn’t it.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Slaughter ain’t got a clue

GarandFan on March 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Ryan must have the self-restraint of a Tibetan monk on qualudes. How does he mange to keep from standing up and throttling that woman? Are these people being intentionally obtuse or are they really that stupid?

29Victor on March 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Michelle has some photos up from the Tea Party on Her Blog.
APobama has a headline that thousands protest economy in….Russia…Nothing about Washington.What a joke.

ohiobabe on March 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Yes. Ryan rocks.

mikeyboss on March 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM

TN Mom on March 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM

No sh%t…

Ryan: “Let’s give everyone under the age of 55 the same plan we have here in Congress.”

Slaughter and the Democrats: “We can’t have THAT now, can we?”

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM

My God, Ryan is sooo fantastic!

He does not let the Dems roll him. He confronts!

OMG.

I see Ryan coming out of this nightmare as a strong contender for the White House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katy on March 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I’m gonna pop the top on some high-proof alcohol and watch some Bristol racing and try to bleach this subversion of our everything from my mind for a few hours.

Later, all.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM

They are posturing…any time Ryan says something they start screaming “You’re doing away with Medicare!!!”

The day is long past when they can scare us worse than the Dem plan.

PattyJ on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

In a sick and demented way, I want this bill to pass. The liberals posting here think this so grand, an attempted spite to we Conservatives.

But the bill will screw them, too, and part of me wants to see that.

I hunger to see all these libs suffer in the future under the programs THEY advocate today. I want them to lament 10% of their income being taken under ObamaControl, over and above their their nominal tax rate of 16%–for a total of 26% being taken.

Add in sales taxes, use taxes, gasoline taxes, taxes on their telephones and Internet, and all else government takes from them all in the name of ‘fairness’.

Part of me wants to see these white liberals lose shot at a job or promotion for sake of ‘fairness’ in favor of someone who is ‘under-represented’.

I’d love seeing ‘law student’ crr6 miss out on chance for partnership in favor of some selected minority tho that minority isn’t as good as Six might be. (I know, I’m basically comparing crap and vomit, but you get my point).

While we who consider ourselves patriots are going to get burned, we can at least say “I told you so!”

Lefties are stuck with wondering where to go after they’ve gone too far.

Liam on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Slaughter is a wild pig!!!

mobydutch on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Paul Ryan is one serious politician.

stldave on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Watched Ryan on Charlie Rose last night. I can hardly stomach Rose, but we need more like Ryan.

cntrlfrk on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

We have to wait with Carl Cameron
Sorry,you can wait for him,Iive been disappointed in Fox lately.I’ll get my news from the radio or the blogs.

ohiobabe on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Slaughter doesn’t look like the sharpest tack in the box?

It’s dumb Democrats like this that have led them over the cliff with Darth Vader to oblivion for a generation. Like a death star in its final throes goes the Democratic party.

Sandybourne on March 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Ryan is shining like a beacon of hope through this whole debacle.

Bob's Kid on March 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Its the growth of government stupid.

Speakup on March 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Later, all.

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Have fun!

conservative pilgrim on March 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Ryan is far too patient with these people. They don’t deserve his – or our – patience or indulgence any longer. They’re either too stupid or too dishonest to get it.

AubieJon on March 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

RYAN ’12

Man, he rocks. And he’s from my home state, where all we do is farm and make cheese. /

P.S. Am I the only one who is shocked at how stupid these Democrats are? My dog grasps more.

capitalist piglet on March 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Seven Percent Solution on March 20, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!! And I can’t believe I’m sying this, but I do too !!

Dopenstrange on March 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I love Ryan’s snarkiness too. I wish he would’ve responded to their talking point how their bill insures 30 million more to his 3 million. Boehner never responded to that either at the Health Care summit.

conservative pilgrim on March 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Slaughter got slaughtered by Ryan.

yoda on March 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Slaughter is a wild pig!!!

mobydutch on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

With apologies to wild pigs…

Dopenstrange on March 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

The only positive I see out of any of this is we see who out of the republicans would be a great leader for our country.

If Ryan hasn’t been asked about a run in 2012,it’s bound to come up soon.

ohiobabe on March 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

With the exception of Paul Ryan, the rest of the jokers in this cast look a lot like the clueless dolts on the Onion parodies of c-span.

Sander Levin. Wow. I never realized that Carl got all the brains for both of them, especially since he’s about a quart low, himself.

notropis on March 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Slaughter is a maroon. My dog knows more about law and healthcare than she does, and this clip proves it.

Mini-14 on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Liam on March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Don’t worry Liam it’s gonna pass and the results will not be pretty.

thomasaur on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Music Thread them
==============================
golden earring-twilight zone

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4uPp69TMLI

canopfor on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Obama’s budget madness exposed by Heritage.org.

CWforFreedom on March 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM
That organization is so dependable and always helpful with questions,especially if you are a member,only 25.00 a year I might add.

ohiobabe on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Three liberals’ brains don’t add up to one conservative one.

What a bunch of knats.

Intelligence is indignant.

Schadenfreude on March 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Ryan is Mayor-elect for the “Shining city upon the hill”

armyaj09 on March 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Good for Paul Ryan; it looks as if he shook off the “I guess we should have read it” deer-in-the-headlights look from voting ‘yes’ on Porkulus.

HAnthonyWayne on March 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

You mean, you would have to take your money, your money, out into the public, and have to find somewhere to buy a cheeseburger and fries? Isn’t that too complicated for Americans? We want the government to guarantee cheeseburgers for everybody.

El_Terrible on March 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Crap,first stink’n post,and i kabotched it!!

Try again!
======================

Music Thread them
==============================
golden earring-twilight zone

canopfor on March 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

daesleeper on March 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yea, but too bad most people watching had no clue he was.

Hog Wild on March 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

If Ryan hasn’t been asked about a run in 2012,it’s bound to come up soon.

ohiobabe on March 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

If not President, then VP or Cabinet. I’d like to see him in the Primaries and debates.

conservative pilgrim on March 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Like a death star in its final throes goes the Democratic party.

Sandybourne on March 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM

“Behold the power of my fully operational Congress!”

Fallen Sparrow on March 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Don’t worry Liam it’s gonna pass and the results will not be pretty.

thomasaur on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

My fear, Patriot, is that it will pass. I simply indulged my dark side a moment. Maybe at least one liberal will get the point, and choose against this destruction. Liberals–I mean real ones who actually care about their neighbors–should be against everything this Dem-controlled Congress is doing.

The point here–HC–is a problem. Having known true liberals, they should be more concerned about the process in this, not the result.

Liam on March 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I would love my boy from Janesville to be president in 2012. However, I think he’s too young yet. He’s building a fantastic resume right now. A few more years of seasoning, and I think he’d be perfect for the job.

However, if he decided to run, I’d still vote for him. Razor sharp intellect, and the ability not only to easily grasp fiscal arguments, but to present them in layman’s terms in a way that really earns the confidence of those he talks to.

I just wish he hadn’t jumped on the bailout bandwagon. It still stings, Paul.

MadisonConservative on March 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Ryan and Cantor or Cantor and Ryan in 12. Bye Bye Obumbler

Dingbat63 on March 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

The best hair in presedential ticket history methinks, they can’t lose. In all seriousness though this guy is a superstar.

Equanim1ty found on March 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM

House Drops Deem and Pass? [Daniel Foster]

We’ve been baited. And here’s the switch, from a Washington Post news alert:

House Democratic leaders say they will take a separate vote on the Senate health care bill, rejecting an earlier, much-criticized strategy that would have permitted them to “deem” the measure passed without an explicit vote.

03/20 02:19 PM

Drop Demonpass and go for straight vote? Will executive order be the “cover”? How can they expect Harry’s vagely worded letter will promise passage of reconciliation in the Senate without changes and a ping-pong back to the House/

Wethal on March 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Dems just dropped deem and pass.

andy85719 on March 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Louise Slaughter doesn’t understand her own health insurance coverage? Or she can’t understand how Ryan thinks the peons can afford to use it! This women is an elitist she doesn’t think she is equal to other Americans she thinks she is better than other Americans why would she think anyone who she doesn’t DEEM worthy has a right to the same health insurance coverage…boy I wonder if she has kids and how much trouble they will go through picking out her nursing home?

Dr Evil on March 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

It was a ruse all along.

andy85719 on March 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Wethal on March 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM

It won’t Orin Hatch promised as much.

Dr Evil on March 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Mini-14 on March 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Ryan / Mini-14′s Dog 2012!!!

Dopenstrange on March 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

An Executive Order now, to pass Health Control?

Let’s see that stand up in the Courts. If it does, no president has caught on he’s a king!

The Dems are trying everything they can, can’t they? Not even Clinton tried something like this.

Liam on March 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I guess I owe AnninCA an apology. She was right. They are having a straight up or down vote. I guess Stupak and his crowd have been placated. Hope Levins lawsuit is successful. I wonder if we all have been duped?

sandee on March 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I think she’s just kinda stupid.

Equanim1ty found on March 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Have fun!

conservative pilgrim on March 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I intend to. I’m gonna yell at my TV and all of that fun stuff.

Redneck Hillbilly Bitterly Clinging all the way.

EE HAAAWWW!

hillbillyjim on March 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Folks, we must keep the pressure on; do not let up for any reason! Here are the Representatives to keep calling, e-mailing, and faxing:

Undecided and voted no on House bill in November (4): Tanner (TN 8), Matheson (UT 2), Nye (VA 2), Baird (WA 3). Tanner and Baird are not running for reelection. Matheson’s brother was recently nominated for a federal judgeship; he appears to have fine credentials.

Undecided and voted yes on the House bill in November (8): Bean (IL 8), Foster (IL 14), Michaud (ME 2), Pomeroy (ND 1), Space (OH 18), Carney (PA 10), Kanjorski (PA 11), Ortiz (TX 27).

Stupak bloc (11): Berry (AR 1), Bishop (GA 2), Lipinski (IL 3), Costello (IL 12), Donnelly (IN 2), Stupak (MI 1), Driehaus (OH 1), Kaptur (OH 9), Dahlkemper (PA 3), Mollohan (WV 1), Rahall (WV 3).

Remember our compatriots on the flight over Pennsylvania on September 11th – they went down STANDING UP! We do not surrender!LET’S ROLL!

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/The-state-of-play-in-the-House-88725462.html#ixzz0ik6Eyp76

SheetAnchor on March 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

The golden rule of human interactions is to judge a person, or a group, by their actions rather than their words.

roflmao

donabernathy on March 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Louise Slaughter is evil. There’s no other way around it. Evil and stupid. That Becerra guy was no better, that smarmy, condescending look on his face. And the only thing either of them could do was lie! They’re insults and dangers to the House of Representatives and the American people.

WesternActor on March 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

If’n the Dems dropped Deem and Pass… I think it means they don’t have the votes.

They’d use it, and take the hit on procedure with the People IF they could pass it…

But are NOT willing to take the double hit, on procedure, and NOT pass the bill anyway.

This is damage control time…

Romeo13 on March 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

After the daily reading at Mass a couple of weeks ago (from Jeremiah) struck a nerve, I went home and read more. This caught my eye.

behold the days come, saith the Lord, that this place shall no more be called Topheth, nor the valley of the son of Ennom, but the valley of slaughter.

pannw on March 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM