Video: Ryan vs Slaughter on Medicare reform

posted at 1:48 pm on March 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats like Louise Slaughter keep saying that Republicans have no plan to reform health care. Paul Ryan showed up at the Rules committee meeting today to explain that they do — and demonstrate that Democrats either don’t understand it or want to ignore it. Either way, Ryan finally forces Slaughter to get help from Xavier Becerra, but Becerra also manages to miss the point. This clip is getting a lot of attention on Twitter, and for good reason:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Ryan should be running against Feingold this year. I really think he’d clean his clock. Oh well, Kohl is up next and maybe Ryan could go then.

I’d support him for Prez though sure ’nuff.

PackerBronco on March 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Poor Democrats they get confused when you use facts on them.

inchdeep on March 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

That’s a lot of weapons grade stupidity and dishonesty that Ryan had to deal with.

aikidoka on March 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM

I SOOOO have a total man crush on Ryan.
The dude is sharp as a tack and QUICK. I’ve never seen him in a debate format. He destroyed them!

Ryan….Don’t go anywhere. We need you.

Handel on March 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM

“16,000 new IRS Agents” –Cong. Ryan

An Army of enforcers for Timothy Geitner!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on March 21, 2010 at 1:52 AM

I SOOOO have a total man crush on Ryan.

Handel on March 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM

No man crush here…I have a woman crush on Rep. Ryan. Shame, shame on me–but at least I told my hubby about it (He rolled his eyes. And he has a crush on Sandra Bullock, so what can he say?)

The question is: do I spend my church time praying for forgiveness, or praying that God smites the morally-bankrupt Congress Critters?

Grace_is_sufficient on March 21, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I think we are looking at our last best hope for this nation.
Ryan for President!

Viper1 on March 21, 2010 at 8:28 AM

It’s a battle of intellect versus feelings. In any other setting intellect would win out, but unfortunately we’re dealing with Dems in congress here so lying takes a back seat to logic and stupidity triumps over reason.

How did we get here? Simple, we have finally reached the point in this great country of ours where the majority of Americans don’t have a clue, but they do have a vote.

fogw on March 21, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Poor Democrats they get confused when you use facts on them.

inchdeep on March 20, 2010 at 11:52 PM

They’re not clueless. They’re intentionally ignorant.

madmonkphotog on March 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

He lost them when he used the term “unfunded liability”. Dems don’t understand the concept.

MajorKong on March 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM

They’re not clueless. They’re intentionally ignorant.

madmonkphotog on March 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I’m not so sure. I really think they don’t know what they’re doing.

Oink on March 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

They’re not clueless. They’re intentionally ignorant.

madmonkphotog on March 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I’m not so sure. I really think they don’t know what they’re doing.

Oink on March 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I have little doubt these fools are ramming this through with some deluded good intention which is what makes them so dangerous is that they’re true believers and reality matters not one little bit to them. Some of the worst and destructive acts in history were carried out with “good intentions”.

Yakko77 on March 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I really think that the liberal majority does not understand a word of this exchange.
Understandably, so many bills are written in lawyerese, but if you keep at it, most of the stuff they try to pass isn’t too hard to understand.
We got Obama elected, & POSes like this Slaughter creature etc. bcs so many of us are too lazy, stupid, ignorant, whatever you’d like to call it, to be bothered with understanding what these idiots are trying to pass.
It has just gotton so far out of hand that now that the piper must be paid, even the hopelessly stupid can see what’s going on.
At least that is what I’m hoping & all these rediculous ‘independents’ will start pulling their heads out of their a$$e$ & vote for some decent leadership for a change.
Am I dreaming?
We need more Ryans & Palins.

Badger40 on March 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Yakko77 on March 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

From the conversations I have had with people over the years on subject matter that requires critical thinking skills, I have deduced that the populace lacks these skills in huge amounts.
So much of the American public cannot even think their way out of a paper bag.
It’s frightening.