Breaking: Dems abandon deem-and-pass

posted at 3:35 pm on March 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Good news or bad news? House Democrats unexpectedly dumped their Slaughter strategy of using deem-and-pass to push ObamaCare through a floor vote:

Top Democrats confirmed Saturday that the House would hold separate votes on the Senate healthcare bill and the reconciliation bill making fixes to it.

Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), one of the chief deputy whips, Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.), and Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), all of whom said that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) won’t use the tactic of deem and pass for healthcare reform.

The move effectively kills the “deem and pass” strategy Democrats had been eyeing to make changes to the Senate bill through a rule on the bill, which at the same time would have deemed the original Senate healthcare bill to have passed the House.

The House appears set now to move toward an up-or-down vote on the Senate healthcare bill, as well as a separate, up-or-down vote on the series of changes to that bill. There will still be a vote on the rule, as there always is for a piece of legislation, though it will not package the two bills together.

So what does this mean?  Hard to say.  It could be that the heat on Democrats for using DemonPass made it too difficult to hold onto votes; Pelosi may have calculated that she’d net more votes if she split the bills properly.  On the other hand, it could also mean that Pelosi has all the votes she needs and no longer needs the self-executing rule to get the bill out of the House.

If anyone wonders which it is, Major Garrett of Fox News helpfully tweeted that he believes that Pelosi now has the votes for tomorrow.  If that’s too pessimistic for you, remember that DemonPass was intended to protect Dems opposed to the Cadillac Tax and other issues in the Senate bill.  The politics of the bill have only become more fraught since they floated that strategy, which could mean that Democrats now think it won’t pass — and need a reason for its demise other than a failure of Pelosi to whip the count.  I lean more towards the former than the latter, but until the vote gets taken (or doesn’t), we won’t know for sure which applies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

I’m afraid to go to sleep–don’t know what I will wake up to…but I have another bottle of whiskey just in case…

lovingmyUSA on March 21, 2010 at 2:55 AM

I can’t sleep and am having a little coffee with my Bailey’s.

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 3:09 AM

yoda–that’s my favorite mornign drink…

lovingmyUSA on March 21, 2010 at 3:11 AM

ya2daup, thanks for your kind words! Sounds like you’re already doing a great deal of good.

I can relate to your vestry experience. Non-profit groups behave just the same way. The smaller the stakes, the bigger the egos, it seems sometimes. I think of a pile of cockroaches fighting over a cracker. :-P But these nasty little arenas are where the encroachments start.

Bless you! Big cyber-hugs to you, too. Now let’s both try to get some sleep. Tomorrow will be a big day, one way or the other.

Mary in LA on March 21, 2010 at 3:12 AM

I had some Buttershots to mix earlier and was reduced to shaking the bottle for the last drop about 10:30…now it’s just Bailey’s and coffee. Need nurishment and booze to make it through tommorrow.

I love your Representative!!!! Steve King!!

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 3:17 AM

indypat on March 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Thanks for posting those! It was a great rally and lobbying effort!

ya2daup on March 21, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Yoda, yes King is the real thing, and has my undying gratitude, as I will be telling him on Monday…I’m pretty proud of him, as I am of the UNI team beating Kansas…

You know Obambi picked Kansas to beat UNI, didn’t you? Ha!

lovingmyUSA on March 21, 2010 at 3:27 AM

I will watch for him when he comes to Souix City. I have e-mailed him several times to tell him that I think he has been doing a great job.

Wow…didn’t know that it was UNI that beat the Class President’s choice. I was thrilled that he was wrong again, but what’s new?

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Mary in LA on March 21, 2010 at 3:12 AM

What floored me about the vestry / treasurer experience was the utter cluelessness of many in the congregation, “We want to have / do X”, and their incredulity when asked, “By what means do you think we should pay for X?”

I saw your point #6 and one of the true joys in my life is continuing to serve as an Assistant Scoutmaster for my stepson’s former troop. It is so gratifying when former members visit — many if them Eagle Scouts — and we get to see what outstanding young men they’ve become. One of them pleasantly surprised me a year ago when he stopped by my workplace and I learned from him that my company had shown great good sense byhiring him. A few have begun attending meetings and camping trips and may well become ASMs in their own right. I’m hoping that my stepson, with whom I have lunch once a week, will ve able to make good on his promise to do likewise once he moves closer to our meeting place in June.

While I know I made the right choice to attend the Tea Party in DC yesterday, I do regret that it cost me the opportunity to participate in this month’s camping trip (and the early Spring camping trips are so enjoyable when the weather is as nice as it is now).

ya2daup on March 21, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Ha, yes, Obambi’s kiss of death…

Well, I think I will call it a night–am debating just sleeping thru tomorrow…

Good night–see you tomorrow…

lovingmyUSA on March 21, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Good night lmUSA….it’s going to be a long day tomorrow.

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Wow. Guess I missed a helluva a night here. I was drinking and my BP was up so I stayed on the couch smoking too much and drifting in and out of sleep…

OmahaConservative on March 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Finally — and this is hard-core — adopt or foster a child. I think this is what the hubster and I will wind up doing, since we can’t seem to have any of our own. Although, as heartbroken as we are about that, in a way I’m almost glad to be barren rather than be raising a child in Obama’s Socialist Republic of America. That is a fearful thing, and my prayers are with all parents everywhere.

Mary in LA on March 20, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Mary,

Very noble indeed. I would only do so if someone drops a newborn in a basket right outside my door. Fight like a Mama bear if Social Services tries to place him/her somewhere. Besides, I have 90% baby stuff (I still have a crib and the mattress) since my youngest is 6, and I won’t sell it since it’s a good brand and have matching drawer set, baby changing station and whatnot. Heh, that’d be something to see, since Jen still has most of it for her own dolls, blankies, etc.

If you guys want to adopt domestic go ahead; our family owns a non-profit international adoption agency, more costly but I traveled once with my MIL to Guatemala to help with translation and my experience is unforgettable, indeed.

This program (country) is currently closed, but we are determined to open it back up again. Politics get in the way, remember Haiti. EVERYTHING that the US Dept. of State said during their interviews, although they sounded cruel, it is the rule and I know it. But with change of government in other countries, there are complications all the time. I can say, in a happy and sarcastic way at the same time, that we have better relations with Russia than Obama! When do you get to meet in person the creator of the AK-47, get his book, and fire some rounds and bring the targets back? Yep, old but still alive and kickin’.

Besides, I get to see lots of families every year and talk with them and enjoy all kiddos.

Here it is. Browse around, of course no commitment: http://eaci.com.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Obama spirals in today. It only took 1 year.

percysunshine on March 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM

OmahaConservative on March 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I’m up again and ready for this fight. Did you read the Bishops don’t even support this bill? We’ll see how many Democrats read that article on Drudge. They are really in trouble when they don’t listen to the church and the people.

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM

On my way to Bible Study and Divine Service. God grant the Bishops get an ear from congress.

Kýrie, eléison!

OmahaConservative on March 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Democrats abandoning anything is unrealistic. They were for applying a committee procedure Deem And Pass to unconstitutionally deny a House Floor vote, and are NOT against it, so will return like a dog to their vomit just as Obama promised. Use the unconstitutional application to deny a House Vote based upon legitimizing Slaughter’s illegitimate application of a committee’s economic short-cut to amendments to be closed or open (allowed or not) on a designated bill.

The “Slaughter Rule” is no where to be found in Jefferson’s Congressional Rules. The “Self-Executing Rule” is a Democrat invention that Newt Gingrich exploited which Socialist Democrats now deem the norm for all legislation. It is unconstitutional, and its use (popular or not) in no way MAKES it legitimate.

maverick muse on March 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Rot in hell, Newt.

maverick muse on March 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Kýrie, eléison!

OmahaConservative on March 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Please pray for our country OC, pray hard!!!!! I will pray from here too.

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Post 1000

ladyingray on March 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I just finished a small article and post on my blog; let’s have some optimism and laughter if this doesn’t pass. Please click on my nick, and hope for the best.

Ed/Allah, I know this does not beat the Humpbot, but it involves all the crap we have through since this started.

Cheerio.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM

CNN Breaking News:

– House Democrats have 216 votes needed to pass health care reform, chairman of House Democratic Caucus tells CNN.

dmarie on March 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I thought for sure this was over. Apparently, Stupak really did manage to cause a bit of a problem.

Or, it was just more of the drama.

AnninCA on March 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Obamacare Update As We Brace For Showdown Vote Tomorrow

We can still do our part to stop this thing!

dnlchisholm on March 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Nice site PPF…I’ll check out more often. I missed the Ratman and Ryan interview and it was pretty tame for Dylan. Mr. Ryan is our future President.

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

dmarie on March 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

They don’t have 216 firm votes.

ladyingray on March 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

The wise words of Seven Percent 7%

They don’t have the votes!!!!

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Nothing happened overnight to convince me they have anymore votes.

Pundits are just assuming they will get the votes because they are thinking there is no way Pelosi and group would bring this to the floor without the votes.

What they do not realize is that this is/was the biggest bluff in American political history. They never had the votes, and they don’t have the votes now. Their only choice now is to hope that they can turn 3-5 nays into yays during the actual vote.

That will not happen.

My prediction is this thing fails by 3-4 votes this evening.

Today is the day Americans stood their ground and saved the union.

WOLVERINES!!

tatersalad on March 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM

ladyingray on March 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I agree, as Paul Ryan said On the Record, a common tactic is to demoralize the opposition into thinking this is inevitable. Just my opinion, but if they are wavering in the final hours, they don’t have the votes. With their majorities they should have shoved this thing right through.

gatorfanatic on March 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Aren’t Congress member exempt from this? They have their own health care plan…

Gormm on March 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM

CNN Breaking News:

dmarie on March 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

It’s a bluff, don’t believe it. They are throwing John Larson (#4) out there to say this…they can afford to throw him under the bus when this fails…he will be their Baghdad Bob.

They don’t have the votes.

tatersalad on March 21, 2010 at 10:16 AM

They don’t have them.

joe_doufu on March 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Democrats have pushed back the final vote deadline to 9pm.

Enoxo on March 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Great blogsite, PPF. BTW-we wore our TEA Party shirts to church this morning. Generated some conversations. Our Sunday School class prayed for the Lord’s will to prevail today in DC. All things are possible with God.

indypat on March 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

yoda on March 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Doing this work is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy harder than I expected being a mom and all. And tricky that I don’t get a seizure. If I don’t show up the rest of the day, you’ll know why.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2010 at 1:59 PM