Video: Reconciliation in 90 seconds

posted at 9:30 am on March 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Here’s a clever and educational entry from the NRCC’s Code Red project, which focuses on Democrats who may wind up voting for the ObamaCare bill in the House.  I get asked all the time to explain reconciliation, and to do it in a way that people can understand it.  All I can say is that it takes me a lot longer than 90 seconds to do so, but then again, I didn’t learn my public-speaking skills from John Moschitta, either:

And since I’m mentioning John Moschitta — and since many may not know who he is — I’ll include the commercial that made him famous:

One last trivia question: Moschitta isn’t in that Code Red video, but another commercial-ad icon was, one whose tag line became a political attack in an election during the 1980s. Who was she? Watch carefully!

Comments

Where’s the Beef!

I forgot her name.

pwdrhnd23 on March 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Where’s the beef?!

txsurveyor on March 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

The Where’s the beef lady, Clara Peller? (did have to google for her name.)

rbj on March 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM

That guy ain’t nearly as quick as Moschitta.

thomasaur on March 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Glad I bookmarked this months ago!
=====================================

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

YouTube parody: Obama Banana Republic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLo_KoIZhlA

Mervis Winter on March 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Oh how well I remember those halcyon days of not being able to recognize the difference between a billion and a trillion without counting all the zeros…now, sadly, I’ve seen those huge numbers so many times they are brutally familiar to me.

Woe!

Bob's Kid on March 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

We’re lost too.

Haha.

:sob:

Ferris on March 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Democrats decided to say screw you America, then they tore up the Constitution.

There ya go, less than 90 seconds. Ha.

fogw on March 19, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Sneaky Liberals!!
===========================

Mar 21 2010

Dec 7th 1941
==========================

Today March 18,2010

a date which will live in infamy – the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Liberal Party.

The DNC, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Tea Patriots and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces – with the unbounded determination of our people – we will gain the inevitable triumph – so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by the DNC on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Democrat Party.

-(snark).

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Where’s the beef?!

txsurveyor on March 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Presently occupying the office of the Speaker Of The House.

A cow who goes by the name of Pelosi.

pilamaye on March 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM

If ANYBODY believes this will reduce the deficit, not raise taxes and totally bust the bank, you are either dead or close to it. I can’t wait until Grahamnesty gets rolling because, I am saying now “I told you so”!

sheriff246 on March 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The Micro Machine Man!!! That is why I love this blog!!

Troy Rasmussen on March 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

D*mmit,forgot to change the other date,of March 21,
instead of the 18th!!

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Clara Pellar – “Where’s the Beef!”

NORBZ1 on March 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM

These guys have a bright future as auctioneers. I think that is exactly what we should to for the Dems. Give them all an opportunity to find now work that suits them better.

Hawthorne on March 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM

The fed-ex commerical was funny,

heres,Democrats on an Escalator Full Version
==========================================

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

canopfor

A+

beachgirlusa on March 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Who is the announcer in the background of the FedEx commercial? It’s driving me crazy and I need to know.

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Where’s the pork?

abobo on March 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM

The Where’s the beef lady, Clara Peller? (did have to google for her name.)

rbj on March 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Would you believe that
I knew her name right away?
No Google required!

Haiku Guy on March 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Latest number: 214-217 yes.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Bishop: Really,eh!!:)

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Bishop:)
=================================

John Moschitta, Jr.

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Would you believe that
I knew her name right away?
No Google required!

Haiku Guy on March 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Yep, me too. Old, I guess…

OmahaConservative on March 19, 2010 at 10:09 AM

The FedEx commercial is hilarious. But as an accurate description of how the current federal government works, its terrifying.

ProfessorMiao on March 19, 2010 at 10:10 AM

This Sunday the far left radicals, the Marxis, the Statists, the Communists on team Obama will, in all likelyhood, pass a Health Care bill that will FOREVER change America! America turns back the clock, turns from a BEACON of FREEDOMS into a 3rd World Dictatorship… Yes, from just this one bill…

Why do you think Comrade Pelosi and Chairman Obama are lying, breaking the Oath of Office to “Protect and Defend” the Constitution… Because it gives them ULTIMATE POWER over your very LIFE! They can tell YOU how much you as a person are “worth” in health care spending, they can tell you that YOUR lifestyle choices COST TOO MUCH and must be “changed” for the “good of all” and to “control costs”…

They will CONTROL all YOUR once personal and private decisions reguarding they type and amount of HEALTH CARE, life and death, decisions that YOU use to make for yourself and your family! You, the PEOPLE, the CITIZEN, will no longer be ALLOWED to make ANY decisions on what you buy, who your Doctor is, how much it costs… You are NOW a servant to Obama and the radical left!

You MUST, or pay and fine and go to JAIL, buy a Obama approved health care policy! YOU MUST or the 18,000 NEW I.R.S. folks that this bill also hires WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND FINE YOU AND PUT YOU IN JAIL for NON-COMPLIANCE to Obama… Can anyone here say Castro, Cuba, Russia???

Please someone show me, please you libs here in HotAir, (and you and I know who you are), show me in The Constitution where it says that the Federal Govmt. can FORCE and MANDATE that a private citizen MUST purchase ANY PRODUCT or SERVICE or face FINE AND JAIL! Where is it???

You can’t show it because IT IS NOT IN THE CONSTITUTION, actualy just the OPPOSITE is in the Constitution… “CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAWS…” (look up the exact wording)…

Most of you far left radicals do NOT care what is in the Constitution because it is written to PREVENT the massive intruision of the FEDS and Obama into our daily lives… You want a NANNY STATE, WOMB TO TOMB care…Here it comes!

Let me ask 3 questions and see if we can get ANYONE with the courage of their convictions to reply…

Most radical libs are cowards and will not stand on ANY principals, but let’s see…

1) Would you buy a car that you have NOT SEEN… Pay for it for 4 years BEFORE you can drive it??? Would you buy any product or sevice that makes you pay the total bill UP FRONT for years before you can use it?

**** No one, not even Obama knows what is in the current fraud of a bill, you will start paying new “fees” and TAXES, no matter what your income lvl is right away, but the “benifits do not even start for 6 to 8 YEARS!!!

So would you?

2) Are you OK and agree to let Obama and the far left in Congress RATION CARE and CUT Medicare and DICTATE YOUR CHOICES in reguards to YOUR health care and lifestyle???

*** There are “Panels” (have been called “Death Panels”) of so called health care experts, and YES IT SAYS THIS EXACTLY IN THE BILL, that will DECIDE how much you as a person are WORTH SPENDING ON… They, this unelected board, WILL tell Doctors what treatments and medicines YOU can get based on AGE, HEALTH, LIFE EXPECTANCY, NORMS and “other factors”…. FACT: ALL COUNTRIES THAT HAVE SOCIALIZED MEDICINE ARE BROKE, ALL HAVE RATIONING, ALL HAVE POORER CARE than America! FACT !!! And now those same things are comming to YOU and our once great Country!

Already, in many States and Cities we see the TIP OF THE ICEBERG as to what this can and WILL mean… Cities charging TAXES and FEES on salt intake, calories intake… Telling folks what they CAN and CAN NOT EAT… Or rights ARE under assualt… THEY WANT TO CONTROL EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES… In califorian for example, they are now MANDATING what COLORS of cars can be sold… NO MORE BLACK CARS, they are bad for Global Warming… In NJ and NY they are TAXING sodas and telling PRIVATE resturants that they can no longer serve SALT in the foods… Have you ever tasted many foods WITHOUT salt??? They SUCK !!! So are you ready for this type of control???

But WAIT, theres more…

3) Why Dems, are you willing and ready to have HUGE WAITS to see ANY Doctor, go on WAITING LISTS for proceedusres, have YOUR choices removed and be at the MERCY of a nameless, faceless Govmt agency?

People that live and countless news stories from around the World will tell ANYONE who asks about socilized, Govmt run health care… THEY HAVE IT IN GERMANY and FRANCE and BRITON and CANADA… It is HORRIBLE…. LONG waits, HUGE TAX BURDENS, POOR CARE QUALITY… Lack of new drugs, lack of new inovation… POOR OVERAL CARE! This is NOT about affordable health care, it’s about a HUGE NEW GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER, GOVERNMENT CONTROL of YOUR LIFE!!!

*** Why, oh why, do we want what have been PROVEN to be a DISASTER in EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY that has gone this route to happen to THE BEST health care in the world??? In Canada and France and England and from ALL OVER rich and affulent people FLOCK to AMERICA for threatments, why ?, because we have THE BEST Doctors, Hospitals, Medicines… THIS IS ALL ABOUT TO CHANGE and NOT for the better… RATIONING has and IS accuring right now in Germany, France, Spain, Canada, Cuba all over the world… WE CAN NOT AFFORD THIS MASSIVE GOVMT TAKE OVER OF 1/6 or 20% of our economy…

OH, 1 more question Leftists…

4) What gives you the “right” to tell me what I can and can not do, what I must and must not purchase, what I MUST spend my money on… Oh, and PLEASE, PLEASE use the lie that this Communist regiem is using about “that people must now buy care insurance. it’s the same thing”. NOPE, a lie… IF I do NOT own or dive a car, I ride a bike or take mass transit, I DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANY INSURANCE!!! This bill says I MUST, at the point of a gun, jail and fines, I MUST comply with Obama and purchase a ” Obama approved” plan… I have NO rights, NO choice…

IS THIS AMERICA ??? IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT ??? ARE YOU READY TO ‘CONFORM’ or be PUNISHED???

What’s next America????

God save us all from our horribly dangerous “leaders”…

Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the left HATE America as it is and as it has been… THEY HATE AMERICA’S CONSTITUTION, they are now showing it for all to see by VIOLATING it… They are, and you that support this massive freedom buster of a bill, TRAITORS to our founding, TRAITORS to persona liberty and TRAITIORS to freedom of choice…

I doubt that ANY of you have the stones to reply, but who knows, maybe you have the convictions of your Marxist leaders to stand up and say, YES, I WANT TO BE A SLAVE TO BIG GOVERNMENT… YES, I WANT THEM TO DECIDE FOR ME WHAT IS BEST… YES, I LOVE WAITING IN LINES FOR LIFE SAVING SURGERIES AND DOCTOR VISITS and YES, I LOVE BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO BY MY SAVIOR OBAMA!

We’ll see… AT LEAST I HAVE THE PRIDE AND STONES TO POST MY FEELINGS, FACTS AND OPINIONS FOR ALL TO SEE… I AM NOT A SLAVE, NOR AFRAID…

I WILL NOT PAY MY TAXES THIS YEAR ( go snitch to the secret police, like Russian neighbors did to each other ), I WILL NOT BUY MANDATED INSURANCE… MY MONEY WILL NOT GO TO FUND ABORTIONS !!!

LET THEM TRY TO PUT ME IN JAIL… THEY KNOW WHERE I AM !!!!

MILLIONS of real AMERICANS just like me, will refuse to BREAK THE CONSTITUTION, we will NOT become slaves without a fight, a fight like has only been seen ONCE before in America, how will Obama put MILLIONS IN JAIL to enforce his will on the masses…

70% WANT HIS BILL KILLED in ALL the latest polls, they want some reforms, BUT NOT THIS BILL!!!

KILL THE BILL !!!!!!!!!!

Our so called “Leaders” our so called “Representatives” have been BOUGHT, BRIBED and PAID OFF…

THEY ARE TRAITORS to DEMOCRACY!!!!!!

WE THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN IGNORE, OUR WISHES ARE IGNORED all in the name of the LARGEST POWER GRAB IN AMERICAN HISTORY !!!!!!!

I say, my friends, it’s time to FIGHT !!!!!!!!

We are about to let the VERY SAME folks that have RUINED SOCIAL SECURITY, BANKRUPTED MEDICARE AND MEDICADE, BROKEN AND MISMANAGED THE POST OFFICE, TRASHED AMTRAC and ANY NUMBER OF OTHER BROKEN AGENCIES run HEALTH CARE !!!!

WTF ARE WE DOING AMERICA ???? Let’s let the MOST CORRUPT PEOPLE tell US ALL what to do, when to do it and what to pay for it…

You gotta be kidding me…

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Even scarier, if you can deem a Senate bill passed in the House, because it’s added to the self-executing part of a House rule concerning follow-on legislation, then there’s no reason the process won’t get used over and over. It’s the way to say “I didn’t vote for the original bill. I hated the original bill. I only voted for the rule that allowed that original bad legislation to be improved.”

RBMN on March 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

OMG LOL!

“Cause I’ve seen school house rocks!” I lost it when the guy said that.. PRICELESS!

As for the Blairwitch project, the Lady who wonders where the beef is and of course Mr. Bill…. my condolences for being connected to ObamaCare!

upinak on March 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Mr. Bill…. my condolences for being connected to ObamaCare!

upinak on March 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

upinak:)
===============

Mr. Bill Builds A House

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Bishop: Oops,I read your post wrong,I thought you mean’t
the actor behind the desk!!:)

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Presently occupying the office of the Speaker Of The House.

A cow who goes by the name of Pelosi.

pilamaye on March 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I’ll take it a step further and say…..Pelosi, Reid, and Obama are adulterated meat!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Seriously, the RNC needs to be take this video concept, slow it down to normal speed, add a few more explanations and facts, and put it in a commercial that runs 20 times a night on each of the major networks.

They need to buy time during shows like “Idol”, “Who wants to Marry an Idiot?”, “Are you Smarter than a Turtle?”, etc. All the shows that the average American watches.

gregbert on March 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Schoolhouse rock
Remember when government was run according to the Constitution?

Good times, good times.

Rebar on March 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM

When is the last time Washington was ablaze?

madmonkphotog on March 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Anyone who was alive during the 1980s should know who John Moschitta is. Great video.

Cylor on March 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM

The Where’s the beef lady, Clara Peller? (did have to google for her name.)

rbj on March 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Would you believe that
I knew her name right away?
No Google required!

For extra no-google credit, who’s the guy who appears immediately after Clara?

Paul_in_NJ on March 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Michelle, Remind me to call the mint and instruct them to crank up the presses. My stash gettin low again!

bluegrass on March 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM

HA! This was my wish list for my blog, THANKS! :D

I used to work for FedEx, therefore I had no clue about this commercial. I figured since I lived in PR at the time, dubbing to Spanish would have been next to impossible.

Now I realize how old the ad is…wow! Betcha y’all didn’t know that on the side of each FedEx aircraft, there’s a name of a child of FedEx employees. They submit the names of their kids to main hub in Memphis, and of course their workfore is (before I quit) a little bit more than 115K.

If your kids’ name is picked, FedEx sends you a letter that the name will be on the side of one of FedEx’s aircrafts. I saw one of these letters for an employee that was out due to injury. It certainly feels very special.

My beef with FedEx is that pay raises only applies to those that are on the max top tier of their salary, where the rest of the pack don’t get a raise; their top salary amt. increases which makes it way harder to get to the top salary of their job.

If Fred Smith, after all the earnings has accumulated recently still does the same thing, (profits go only to those that are on max. salary), employee morale will be down yet again. He must raise everybody’s salaries who make FedEx what FedEx is. FedEx does not have a union, except the pilots.

FedEx must also (unless they’ve done it already) somehow consolidate domestic benefits vs. international benefits, make them as similar as possible. Of course Fred Smith does not read here, it’s just venting the way they work that regular folks don’t know about.

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Rebar on March 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I have the video; must-play-to-the-family!!!!!

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM

When is the last time Washington was ablaze?

madmonkphotog on March 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

The war of 1812. Hmmm, 200 years later ………

Mini-14 on March 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM

AnninCA, got link?

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Like most Americans, I am committed to God, to liberty, to self-reliance and to taking care of my loved ones as I see fit. No one – and I really mean NO ONE – will ever get in the way of those things. I will fight with every ounce of my being to be able to give to my son his birthright – that of being an American – and to have that mean something. I will not allow a self-absorbed, narcissistic fool hell bent on creating a totalitarian state not even in the name of compassion, but rather, in the name of himself, to destroy the rule of law, and thus the nation. Game on.

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Clara Peller.

One of the few brain cells I didn’t kill in the 1980′s survived to give you that valuable nugget. : ))

Angry Dumbo on March 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM