Some members of Stupak bloc trying to make a deal with Pelosi? Update: Ellsworth to vote yes, Cao might “reconsider” his no

posted at 5:17 pm on March 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

She and Waxman seemed resigned a few days ago to passing this thing without them and she vowed again just this morning that there’s not going to be any new abortion fix to the bill. In which case, why are Stupakers trying to climb back aboard the yes train? I can understand Pelosi wooing them if she thinks she’s short of 216, but this reads more like they’re trying to woo her. Why?

At least six anti-abortion rights Democrats are open to supporting the healthcare bill if they can get a guarantee from the Senate that it will move separate legislation containing the House abortion language, one of those Democratic holdouts said Friday.

Natural Resources Committee Chairman Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), one of Rep. Bart Stupak’s (D-Mich.) gang of staunch opponents of the Senate abortion language, said they are in discussions with senators and House leaders to secure such a commitment.

“There could be some kind of commitment from the other body to act on this later … to ensure that the Senate language does not remain law,” he said…

Rahall expressed confidence that even a guarantee of action would produce the end result that he and others are seeking.

Follow the link and you’ll find Stupak himself laughing at the idea that a guarantee from the Senate means anything. So desperate is Nick Rahall to vote for this travesty that he’s willing to accept a “guarantee of action” from Harry Reid as political cover? He comes from a reddish district, according to the Cook Report; a no vote without an abortion fix would, I suspect, help him more than a yes vote that includes one. And yet, he’s practically begging Reid to lie to him about passing something — which won’t happen, given the pro-choice numbers in the Senate — to give him a reason to vote yes. I’m mystified.

If there is a deal, and the deal consists of nothing more than Dingy Harry’s solemn oath that he’ll get around to a bill at some point eventually, then the Stupakers must think their pro-life constituents are awfully, awfully stupid.

Update: A brutal loss: Brad Ellsworth, a Stupaker who was on the fence and who’s planning a Senate run(!) in Indiana, says yes. And now there’s this:

Rep. Anh Cao (R., La.) tells National Review Online that he “hopes to reconsider” his vote on the health-care bill this weekend, should House Speaker Nancy Pelosi guarantee, “with certainty,” that she can fix its abortion language in a separate, later legislative measure.

That’s horrible news twice over. One: If both Ellsworth and Cao are suddenly breaking towards yes, maybe there is some flimsy deal that’s been struck by the Stupakers. And two: Ain’t no way no chance no how Joe Cao will be the 216th vote, so if he’s thinking about this, he must have reason to believe that Pelosi’s close to getting all the votes she needs and then some.

The silver lining? If there’s a deal, then Pelosi evidently really needs this bloc to get to 216. But now … she may have them.

Update: Smells like a deal. If it is, game over.

Stupak’s office sent out an email saying he will hold a press conference with “other pro-life” members at 11:00a.m. to discuss the health care bill. Maybe all the pro-life Democrats cut a deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Freakin Cao I’m calling his office and emailing him. He’s my friggin representative now! This is embarrassing *buries face*

Ingenue on March 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Since we’re dealing with politics and The Beltway, is there any chance that the Stupak bloc and other defections are simply intended to get Pelosi off their backs and bring ObamaCare to a vote?

I heard some pundit say that even some Democrats are ducking the president’s calls because they are sick of hearing how “voting no would be the end of him…..blah blah blah”.

tru2tx on March 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

2 democratic no votes

this will make up for the loss of Brad Ellsworth. good.

runner on March 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Yep. He says he got banned like last night. Too bad really.

deidre on March 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I saw one post that was pushing the line but I can’t remember if it was Sapwolf. Trust me there will be more this weekend if Sunday is truly “Black Sunday”. I like posting with all of you and hope everyone can remain calm as possible if things don’t go our way.

Dire Straits on March 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

another yes

Fifth District Congressman Tom Perriello says he will vote “yes” this weekend on health care reform, if 51 senators commit to passing the House fixes to the Senate bill. He says while the bill isn’t perfect, it’s a step in the right direction.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Better read the fine print ….

if 51 senators commit to passing the House fixes to the Senate bill.

I heard they’re waiting for something in writing from the senate. Like that would matter. LOL.

Hey William, weren’t you the guy who predicted Scott Brown would lose in Mass?

fogw on March 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

If Cao foes with the bill, he better…BETTER…hold a press conference announcing his party switch. Because I sure as $%#@*() don’t want him in my party!

jbh45 on March 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

foes = falls

jbh45 on March 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Eric Cantor says they’re bluffing and that they’re still seven votes down. [via Ace].

Emperor Norton on March 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I am getting a little dizzy now.

Terrye on March 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Sapwolf got banned ? When ? Really ?

macncheez on March 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Sapwolf was getting a little crazy with the gun talk. Even Sarah Palin would have told him to pipe the eff down.

chunderroad on March 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hey William, weren’t you the guy who predicted Scott Brown would lose in Mass?

fogw on March 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Yes I did and was gld to be wrong. But I did include that part of the story in my posting so was only reporting that he was a potential “yes” vote.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I am getting a little dizzy now.

Terrye on March 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Like riding a roller coaster.

Dire Straits on March 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I think they have to wait until Sunday, because of the 72 hour rule (RIGHT…but they already scheduled it for 2:00pm).
Now, here’s the deal, I DO agree witih KJ and the others that say we must not give up or let up, and we need to, if anything redouble our efforts. I wish, wish, wish I could be in DC…but I’ll do whatevah local here in St. Louis if someone wants to let me know (I’ve been totally out of the loop all week due to business).

If these BETA boys and girls can put their tails between their legs, drop down and expose their bellies to the “Alphas” Nanc and Barry (whoa, and when they are our alphas…gulp!), they can just as easily turn tail and try to join the other pack when the torches and pitchforks come out for true.
If on Saturday afternoon, you see the count (and I think the whip count is a complete smoke screen), the real count come down to Dems being short 9 or ten….watch the vermin desert the waterlogged vessel. I really believe if we keep up the pressure, continue to pray, one or two will lose their nerve and bolt, and then, there will be a mass exodus(Sorry for mixing metaphors).
I’m with KJ…Quitcherbishing and keep it up!

I’ll not admit defeat until the vote is actually counted.

Chewy the Lab on March 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

If Nancy has the votes – they would be in there voting right now.

Dr Evil on March 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

tru2tx on March 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I heard this too. Politico has the story up about it. Rush also made a good point today. Is it possible that all these changes to yes could be a ruse, just to get Obama and gang off their backs? I think it could be possible. Now with the word of the true CBO numbers out, and I do believe a vast majority of Americans are paying very close attention to this right now. Reports of 100,000 calls per hour going to D.C. That these Dems are just trying to lay low til the vote. They are very aware of how their constituents feel.

I know we won’t know, til we know….but if this is something to cling to right now, I’ll take it. Now it’s time for some blood pressure meds. lol

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Heath Shuler (D-NC) just announced he’s will vote No.

Emperor Norton on March 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

oh for cripes sake…spineless tools

cmsinaz on March 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I’ll not admit defeat until the vote is actually counted.

Chewy the Lab on March 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Good dog! Goo-ood dog! Here, have a

biscuit

democrat. :-)

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Argh! Bad Mary, messing up tags! Last quote should be a strikeout.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Obama claiming victory ?

After months of setbacks, bitter partisanship and legislative logjams, Mr Obama appeared triumphant on Friday, rekindling the spirit of change which powered his euphoric 2008 election campaign but has been dimmed by the slog of government.

Right now, we are at the point where we are going to do something historic this weekend,” he said, at a rally in Virginia, billed as a rousing climax to his plan to offer health care to 32 million uninsured Americans.

“In just a few days, a century-long struggle will culminate in a historic vote,” Mr Obama said, as 8,500 supporters chanted his campaign theme “Yes We Can” in a sports arena in northern Virginia.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Sapwolf got banned ? When ? Really ?

macncheez on March 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I spoke to sapwolf on the phone. I will be posting an response later on my site.

upinak on March 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

???????????????

d1carter on March 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

But then there is this on Cao, calling him a firm no . . . So which is it?

Ingenue on March 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Big talk from a little man. Keeping up his image with b.s. and rousing tones. He’s a good little show horse.

sherry on March 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Yes I did and was glad to be wrong.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I was glad you were wrong too. Too bad our euphoria was shortlived and trampled by the scum trying to take over our country and dismantle the Constitution.

fogw on March 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Santorum said earlier this week on a talking-heads interview that Pelosi does not want the Representatives going home over the weekend because the anger of the public may change many of their votes to NO.

onlineanalyst on March 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Hi All ~

Do not give up this fight. This is not over at all. See this report from Rep. Eric Cantor. They still do not have the votes.

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

But then there is this on Cao, calling him a firm no . . . So which is it?

Ingenue on March 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Just remember…we cant’ trust anything coming from the Dems. So don’t believe it til you hear it from Cao himself!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Bloomberg

At least six Democrats agreed to switch their votes to back the bill this week. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, may need more to make up for defections by Democrats concerned about issues ranging from the legislation’s cost to whether restrictions on abortion funding are strong enough

The Democrats have lost votes, as well. New York Representative Michael Arcuri, who voted in favor of the original House bill, said he’s now a “no” because he believes the revised measure doesn’t do enough to control costs. Massachusetts Representative Stephen Lynch is also switching to “no,” the Boston Herald reported.

Representative Dan Lipinski, an Illinois Democrat, said he is switching his vote to “no” because of concerns about abortion funding. That followed the likely loss of Michigan Democrat Bart Stupak, who has said he can’t support the new legislation without changes on the abortion issue.

A group of lawmakers are protesting the deletion of a provision designed to ease geographic disparities in Medicare payments. Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio, a “yes” vote in November, said he would be a “no” this time unless the provision, affecting 17 states, is reinstated.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I ♥ you, SheetAnchor! I called every last blasted one of those numbers you posted. And I’m going to do it again tomorrow, and Sunday, and every day until this thing is either voted or dead.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Another yes vote

Washington — Rep. Gary Peters said Friday he will vote in favor of the sweeping $940 billion Democratic health care bill.

Peters was the last of Michigan’s 15 House members to reveal how he’ll vote Sunday.

William Amos on March 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

If they had the votes, they’d be voting now, not Sunday. They’re doing everything they can to create momentum and a sense of inevitability, but it’s a bluff. Tomorrow’s protests in DC should break the spell.

joe_doufu on March 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I just called Ellsworth’s office a couple hrs ago and they told me he was still reading the bill!!! Dammit.

catwrangler on March 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I hate them all….

crazywater on March 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Perhaps the constituents of these possibly undecided NO votes should apply the same type of pressure that people like Rahm Emmanuel are most noted for, to assure that NO stays a NO!

pilamaye on March 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

This guy is toast. He has a big whiny message on his website about “Poor me, a hapless Dem among so many Republicans. What to do, what to do?”

I got an idea, Peters. Start lookin’ for work come November. Welcome home to Michigan, where your liberal policies have led to our 15%+ unemployment rate

Grace_is_sufficient on March 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Tomorrow’s protests in DC should break the spell.

joe_doufu on March 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I wish I were closer, and I pray you’re right. Are the tea parties expecting a bigger turnout than on Tuesday? Does anyone know?

Grace_is_sufficient on March 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM

You are very kind, Mary. Thank you so much. Please understand that I do not know how the vote will turn. I tend to believe they are close.

It would help if everyone who can go to D.C. on Saturday goes to the Tea Party event. I hope our friends in relatively close proximity to D.C. will make whatever sacrifices they can to go. People showing up in very large numbers has an impact.

Here are the details:

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I hate them all….

crazywater on March 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I think we all do. It’s hard to explain … but I feel violated, like they’re doing something to me I don’t want them to do and feel powerless to stop.

darwin on March 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I would LOVE to go to DC!

speed911 on March 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

How any Representative could vote for this bankrupting bill when the April 15 tax day is looming is beyond logic.

onlineanalyst on March 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

That all this was predictabe makes it no less sickening. Did anybody really doubt it? These are the debauched days we live in: brazen corruption that hacks up phlegm on our constitution, as an equally corrupted mouthpiece media looks away, explains it away or just as brazenly cheers and defends it. How much worse can it get, how much more sickening? When do we bottom out, break apart, implode — or is it explode?

rrpjr on March 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Unfortunately, onlineanalyst, as everyone can now see in plain view, most of the elected representatives are corrupt, and are simply self-serving. The primary motivation for seeking elected office was to enrich themselves personally. Tragically, and dangerously for the nation, the citizens have long ignored and tolerated the corruption which exist at every level of government nationwide.

In our country, the elected representatives can only do what the people permit them to do. I dare say, that half, if not more, of the people are either ignorant by choice, uninformed by choice, or apathetic by choice; or some combination thereof. It is “We the People” who are responsible for the state of our nation. We have allowed our financial resources to be completely mismanaged; our industrial base to be eroded; our education system to fail; and our morality to become bankrupt. We are responsible! You cannot live as a free people, and pass the responsibilities of living and remaining free to others, and expect to maintain liberty.

I do not know which way the union will go. I do know that this country is in a war for its national soul. It seems now that half the country wants the traditional America; while the other half does not, but seems to believe that a state-controlled country is better than a free country. They are sadly and dangerously wrong; but this is what they believe. This is because they are largely ignorant of history.

The question is, whether there are enough Americans who have the courage to stand-up and meet this challenge. I pray so. If not, the nation is sowing the seeds of its own demise. The people must learn, what has always been true about America, as John Adams said, to wit: “Our Constitution is only for a moral people. It is inadequate for any other.”

In effect, we are now witnessing how much “moral character” matters in this nation. True convictions are always based upon morality; and our society cannot long exist absent a strong moral foundation. As Andrew Jackson said, “The Bible is the rock on which this republic rest.” Half the country seems to have decided, that this book is no longer relevant. Yet, I will leave with these encouraging words: “Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance, are still competent to adjust, in the best way, all our present difficulty”. Abraham Lincoln

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM

No reason to think that the whores in the House will stick with their principles (as if they had any).

orlandocajun on March 19, 2010 at 7:36 PM

If Nancy has the votes – they would be in there voting right now.

Dr Evil on March 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

As Eeyoreish as I am feeling right now. (damn you AP) You are exactly right. As soon as she knows she has the votes, + one or two, she will call for the vote.

Wouldn’t it be cool if the reverse happened, and some folks indicated they would vote yes to get her to bring it to a vote so they could kill it? Ah, wishful thinking.

conservnut on March 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM

conservnut on March 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM

I dunno. If (again, perish the thought!) I were a Dem legislator in a purplish or reddish district, I might do that just to get the Louse off my back. However, I would have to have other career options in mind, as for the rest of my term the She-Hag would surely make my life on Capitol Hill hell. ;-)

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM

According to Scott Holleran

Scott Holleran
re: ObamaCare: the administration, Congress and most of the press are all about pretending there’s an inevitability about it now. There isn’t.

Dr Evil on March 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM

The one thing that makes me nervous is that they know this is political suicide, yet they double down. What is the bigger picture that we don’t see? I’m not prone to crazy conspiracy theories, but they are starting to seem less crazy.

John Deaux on March 19, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Check out fire dog lake they don’t like it either. Folks on the Right are not the only people who don’t want this Dog of a Bill. People on the Left don’t like it either.

Dr Evil on March 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM

John, you must be mindful that our elected representatives have a whole body of history which tells them that they can vote against the interests and preferences of their constituents, without negative consequences, because the voters do not pay attention on a consistent basis, and that they send enough “pork” back home to “buy” enough votes when necessary. In addition, they believe the voters have very short memories. Hence, they are inclined to always vote with their leadership. For example, when have you seen this many citizens actually engaged in a legislative process? The only reason people are no so engaged, is because they finally realize what is happening in their Congress. And yet, think about the number of citizens who are still not engaged, when their own country’s future is at stake! In short, our elected Representatives have been corrupt for a very long time; and they have reaped great rewards from their corruption. In addition, those who vote “yes” are either liberal idealogues; or ignorant and incapable of critical analysis; and/or they have been bought in one form or another, so that they will benefit, at least in the short-term, should they lose their next election.

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Folks, this is not over. As someone already said, they are trying to create the image of momentum. They are still 5-7 votes short. You are having an impact! Continue to, as the Captain of the USS John F. Kennedy aircraft carrier said to his officers and crew, as they were in just in range of Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11, “Now they will feel the power of the Kennedy; we will strike, and strike hard!” So, continue to “Strike” and “Strike Hard!” We are Americans; and like our great soldiers, sailors, airmen, coast guardsmen, and United States Marines, our colors do not run! We do not give up the fight! So Strike, and strike again! In battle we are always on the offensive. They are visting war on our Constitution. It is war they shall have. Strike hard!

SheetAnchor on March 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM