Democratic memo instructs staffers to mislead voters and media on “doctor fix”; Update: It’s a hoax, say Dems

posted at 1:37 pm on March 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, a source in Washington DC sent me a scan of a memo that Democratic leadership has passed to staffers on the Hill instructing them how to handle the media and their bosses in the next 72 hours on ObamaCare.  I confirmed it with another source on Capitol Hill a few minutes ago.  The memo warns staffers to avoid discussing the mechanisms within the CBO analysis in order to mislead voters on their intentions for the “doctor fix” and how it will “undermine the reforms’ budget neutrality.”

I won’t transcribe it all (readers can download it here to read it in full), but I’ll highlight the relevant passage:

Second, most health staff are already aware that our health proposal does not contain a “doc fix.”  Some Republicans have repeated CBO’s November 18th letter that says “the sustainable growth rate (SGR) mechanism governing Medicare’s payments to physicians has been frequently modified (either through legislative or administrative action) to avoid reductions in those payments, and legislation to do so again is currently under consideration in Congress.”  The inclusion of a full SGR repeal would undermine the reform’s budget neutrality.  So, again, do not allow yourself (or your boss) to get into a discussion of the details of CBO scores and textual narrative.  Instead, focus only on the deficit reduction and number of Americans covered.

As most health staff knows, Leadership and the White House are working with the AMA to rally physicians support for a full SGR repeal later this spring.  However, both health and communications staff should understand that we do not want that policy discussed at this time, lest I [sic] complicate the last critical push for health reform.

While I was tracking down the sourcing on this, Politico’s Chris Frates already reported on it:

Democrats are planning to introduce legislation later this spring that would permanently repeal annual Medicare cuts to doctors, but are warning lawmakers not to talk about it for fear that it will complicate their push to pass comprehensive health reform. The plans undercut the party’s message that reform lowers the deficit, according to a memo obtained by POLITICO.

Democrats removed the so-called doc fix from the reform legislation last year because its $371-billion price tag would have made it impossible for Democrats to claim that their bill reduces the deficit. Republicans have argued for months that by stripping the doc fix from the bill, Democrats were playing a shell game.

Basically, this is an admission that the numbers the Democrats submitted to the CBO were entirely false, and that they plan to make this bill a deficit expander in the spring.  It’s a breathtaking admission of deceit and hypocrisy — and its exposure should have the media asking more questions about that CBO scoring and putting Democrats in the hot seat over it.

Update (AP): Memo? What memo?

“We have checked with every Democratic office, no one has ever seen it. It did not come out of a Democratic office,” the aide said, adding that media outlets printing the memo have not checked with leadership offices if the memo is authentic. A second Democratic leadership aide confirmed the memo was not sent by the Democrats. A third Democratic aide also said the memo is fake, citing the “draft” stamp and saying no one uses such things.

“If this were a Democratic communications person who wrote this, they should be fired, because this looks like Republican talking points,” the third Democratic aide told TPMDC.

The memo alleging the changes commonly known as a “doc fix” would be politically damaging to Democrats, who already are holding together a fragile coalition to get the needed 216 votes Sunday.

Update (Ed): When Politico went live with this article, I had confirmed with two people I know on the Hill that they had seen this being passed around.  Did it come from Democrats, or from Republicans?  I can’t answer that, but I did confirm with two sources that it exists.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Linked to your post from Freedom of Information or is Information now property of the Government? and added a reference to my archive on FOIA

AtTheWaterCooler on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

These idiots have vastly underestimated the strength of character of the “silent majority” once again.

No one in their right mind will take this shit sandwich force-feeding laying down.

Kiss your ass goodbye in November if you don’t firmly oppose this unholy push to get a foot in the door leading to Socialism.

We the people are not stupid, nor are we asleep.

The evidence will flow in and people will be held accountable. Even though the MSM is in love with Obama, I believe they love a good fall from grace more.

truetexan on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

truetexan for the win! The talking heads love themselves even more than they love their feel-good ideology.

hillbillyjim on March 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

funny how the RNC powerpoint page went viral in 1 day and this will not see the light of day…

*sigh*

cmsinaz on March 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Hening:SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH,thats the “R” word!:)

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

They’re intentionally lying to the public. They’re not putting forth an opinion on the numbers. They are INTENTIONALLY, LYING to the public.

That IS unconstitutional.

Not realy. It is unethical, and immoral, but not unconstitutional.

I am thinking about this constitutional ammendment which would require each Congress critter to take an oath before they voted on a bill…hmmmm

percysunshine on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Gee, no sesquipedalian, no crr6, no other trolls on this thread. Wonder why?

notropis on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

has your son gone through the wilding yet?

jbh45 on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I wish people would shut their pieholes with lame revolution talk. Elections are the only answer, fool.
I didn’t vote for this President but by God I would use my dad’s rifle to mow you down if you started violence to overthrow an elected government.

fastestslug on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

And, I have the perfect horse for you. Only driven on Sundays.

katy the mean old lady on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I’m already covered there.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Gee, no sesquipedalian, no crr6, no other trolls on this thread. Wonder why?

notropis on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Just Ann, trying to encourage everyone to give up.
Ain’t gonna do it!

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

The Democratic Party–lying liars, and the lies of the lying liars who lied and keep on lying!

Emperor Norton on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Do you mean to tell us that the democrats will actually ..gasp…lie to the American people in order to get socialism’s final victory into America? Are you saying that these people aren’t honest or lack self respect or personal dignity? Isn’t this implying that deception has replaced representation and the constitution is being mocked?

Right on all counts and look around you – no one really cares. The people of this nation are about to go down in history as the first people ever to give freedom away voluntarily (well, except maybe those Christians in those old Roman coliseums -but they were getting heaven while these folks are getting Hades!

Don L on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.

I highly recommend: Think smart here.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

If you like your broadband, you can keep your broadband.

katy the mean old lady on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

That’s right. The government is going to provide free broadband in anoher bill.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I don’t think they’re going to be gloating.

This was a POS Bill that stinks to high heaven. They want everyone to forget.

For their “pivot to jobs”.

Which of course will mean shoveling more money at Democrat donors which will mean yet another abject failure.

Constitution Avenue will run red with donkey blood come November.

NoDonkey on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Folks, this Politico article is posted on Drudge. Remember when the congress was instructed not to access Drudge because of a virus? Drudge later revealed how many hits/day he gets from Senate and the House? What’s important now is the the pols that are reading Drudge are now aware the cat’s out of the bag. If they’re reading it on a public news site, then they know it will go viral.

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

We voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Exactly.

MT on March 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Drudge linked the Politico story so sorry Dems everybody knows. But hey what’s a little lie between friends?

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The memo had to have been linked, by someone on the Dem side…and on the inside. Which leads me to believe we have someone on the inside that isn’t down with the tactics that Pelosi and pals are using? Is this possible?

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

These people have no shame, no honor, no moral compass, no conscience, no sense of decency, no ethics, no respect for the Constitution, and NO right to lead this country. All you voters who vote Democratic, are you proud of this? Can you rationalize this away, or blame it on Bush? Take a good look. This IS your Democrat party, and it stinks of lies, deceit, and lust for power by any means.

infidel4life on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

You’d think so… but you’d be wrong. Don’t dig if you don’t want to find dirt.

AeroSpear on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

What I find really shocking about this Politico article is the fact that Politico is reporting it. That’s what’s most surprising of all.

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Now now.

You must know that Hening was only wanting to refer the folks to that Beatles tune that we all know and love.

All Right!!

hillbillyjim on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.
I highly recommend: Think smart here.
AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Let me write that down.

*Ann…recommends…thinking…smart…exclamation point*

Cool, thanks, I was wandering in circles until that post.

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

We voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I can hold my head high , knowing I did NOT vote for this communist. I saw what he was before I headed to the ballot box.

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

OMG

Hey … I didn’t read this comment. I mistakenly clipped and pasted it. Didn’t read it … no way. Have no idea what it says.

darwin on March 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Sure… any “NO” vote, anyone looking for cover, or any quiet staffer who disagrees with their employer’s vote.

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

You owe me another monitor.

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.

I highly recommend: Think smart here.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Come on Ann you know what’s next. We start donating and campaigning of course. And protesting. And Hatch was saying something about procedural ways to shut down the Senate until after the election.

We cannot fix the mistakes of 2008 until at the earliest 2010! I wish we could be there is no recall allowed.

So all we can do is campaign against these losers. And they have a few more months to wreck havoc.

But then… it’s the party is over and we can start to rebuild our Constitution.

There will be a legislative backlash you can bet on it.

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Let me write that down.

*Ann…recommends…thinking…smart…exclamation point*

Cool, thanks, I was wandering in circles until that post.

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously though….Ann? I think you should change your name to Sybil. You’re all over the map with your comments.

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Basically, this is an admission that the numbers the Democrats submitted to the CBO were entirely false, and that they plan to make this bill a deficit expander in the spring. It’s a breathtaking admission of deceit and hypocrisy

It’s not just deceit and hypocrisy, it’s a coup d’etat. People should start recognizing what it really is that we’re seeing with the dems and their Indonesian Imbecile. This is a clase parallel to Zelaya’s attempted coup in Honduras, that the treasonous dems and their Indonesian imbecile backed with the full force of the US government.

neurosculptor on March 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM

So far I’ve found virtually no willingness from anyone to inconvenience themselves.

If I am to live under a communist government then my life will not be worth living.

I will stand. I will fight.

Dorvillian on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Don’t worry. The time has to be right and you can’t jump the gun. You have to ensure that one very important agency is on our side as well.

darwin on March 19, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I’m already covered there.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM

LMAO!
Seriously, you can only have a black horse. No horsehair showing on the suit.
I’ll throw in some quilting needles and some yummy apple buter.

katy the mean old lady on March 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Folks ignore Fox! Their whip vote count is off. Fox also fell for Clyburn’s ruse that the Dems have the votes to pass this. Fox is like dead fish today and just repeating whatever propaganda the Dems feed them. I turned off them off and found other news sources. Even MSNBC has acknowledged that Pelosi is still scrambling for votes.

This is a better site for tracking the House whip vote count (Obamacare Death Watch). Rush has been doing an outstanding job keeping up with this Obamacare clusterfark today.

sarahpalinfan99 on March 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM

The real cost of this POS is going to be well over 2 Trillion Dollars — and there will still be 23 million uninsured. Insane.

AZCoyote on March 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM

It takes your breath away!

jeanie on March 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Paul Ryan Blasts Democrats

Dasher on March 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Gee, no sesquipedalian, no crr6, no other trolls on this thread. Wonder why?

notropis on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

When Michael Moore says that a government health care plan sucks raw rocks, there’s little to no argument to be made for it.

ebrown2 on March 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Hah! Drudge has picked up this and highlighted it in RED above the main headline. Take that, Pelosi.

cynccook on March 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

They’re counting on the American people wandering back to American Idol, or whatever other garbage is on tv, and forgetting all about this by November.

lilredhen on March 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

ebrown2 on March 19, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Of course, he hates it because it isn’t progressive enough, i.e. no public option.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Maybe Fox News is letting Shep and Jerry Rivers write the news scripts today. Shep may not even be there, though. Ole Miss is taking on Memphis in Oxford in the NIT tonight. He probably took off.

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

We voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Exactly.

MT on March 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Uhh..I didn’t vote for this Marxists, so don’t include me in the “WE”.

belad on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I will stand. I will fight.

Dorvillian on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

No, you’ve not READ on online sites, which can be tracked, and are probably being monitored, and BAN people for those types of sentiments, talking about sacrifice.

It does not mean they are not out there.

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

LIKING the way Drudge has worded that alert to this fiasco !
:-)

pambi on March 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I don’t think they’re going to be gloating.

This was a POS Bill that stinks to high heaven. They want everyone to forget.

For their “pivot to jobs”.

NoDonkey on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Pelosi is already gloating! Her smile is a gloat all the time! She turns on that fake sparkly things and smiles big as she screws everyone over. She is exactly what I think Satan looks like and acts! So charming and sparkly… as she slips the handcuffs on and drags you along behind.

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Game Change???? please?!?!??!

WhatsRight on March 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

sarahpalinfan99 on March 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Maybe… Shep has been so pro for this thing and it is the daytime. But Fox doesn’t often get it wrong.

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:23 PM

This is the reason I hate Democrats. They are liars.

Policy differences are one thing. Lying in order to steal my freedom is quite another.

WannabeAnglican on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

No need for that. As he’s been only too happy to show us, he watches the games from his laptop during his show. The man’s a real professional.

AZCoyote on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Of course you have someone on the inside leaking this stuff. This is so totally Anti American that there is no way there are not people on the inside who are appalled.

ORconservative on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I think its important to keep in mind that this is exactly what sent Ken Lay to prison.

This is called corporate fraud by keeping the bad news out of the annual report until the leaders can reap their profit.

It is criminal. And the existence of the memo makes it a conspiracy.

RICO anyone?

BobMbx on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I would imagine that the smart ones haven’t said anything about their intentions.

All the spy powers and kill-gadgets we’ve seen fit to grant our government to fight ‘terrorists’ WILL be used in case of revolution, unless the majority of the military simultaneously turns on the civilian leadership. Highly unlikely to say the least…although not totally impossible.

Dark-Star on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.

I highly recommend: Think smart here.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Put this memo in all talking points, on the floor of the house with all members quoting it in one minute speeches, and on all morning/afternoon/evening programs.

This shows that the Democrats are going to increase costs by eliminating a key part of the HCB that keeps the cost under the dreaded $1 trillion.

Patriot Vet on March 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

AZCoyote on March 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM

He wasn’t very popular down there to begin with and he’s one of the supporters of the changing of the mascot from Colonel Reb.

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

hillbillyjim on March 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I hate to be so pessimistic, and I hope you are right. But somehow I don’t think it matters anymore. The silent majority’s interests are so diffuse that they cannot muster any real political power. The silent majority may just be a political “heat sink”. Sure, there may be political energy, but it is useless energy much like heat that escapes into space.

I think there is so much concentrated liberal political energy on this health care debacle that it will get passed no matter what. The interests lined up behind it have useful political capital built up over the years, while the silent majority only has unhappiness. If I am a liberal pol, I ride the wave. In fact, I think Nancy Pelosi at this point could write across the skies that the CBO numbers are a sham. She would still flip the silent majority the finger and ask, “So what are you gonna do about it?”

We might burn for awhile, but, alas, the flame will die without sufficient political oxygen. I’m just not sure where the fuel will come from.

ObjectionSustained on March 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I think it’ll involves Congress critters being drug into the street by an angry mob, though I’m not encouraging violence in any way.

jwp1964 on March 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

You could flay Pelosi alive and she would still be sporting that hideous grin, her husband gave some plastic surgeon million to paint that thing on her empty skull.

NoDonkey on March 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM

THIS MUST GET OUT, THIS MUST GET FAXED, WE MUST CALL OUR FRIENDS, WE MUST SPREAD THE WORD, WE MUST MAKE THE NETWORKS ASK ABOUT THIS MEMO !!!

THIS “could” HELP SWAY VOTE TO FLIP TO NO!!!!!!

BUT THIS MUST GET OUT…

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM

SHOULD.

*crickets*

PattyJ on March 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Seriously, what’s next for the opposition.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM

It all depends on who you are saying is the opposition.

ladyingray on March 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Hey… how interesting… isn’t it still Sunshine in Washington week?

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I couldn’t find the post of Paul Ryan but it was well worth the watching.

There are people in the Senate representing us. Hopefully the voices will become stronger between now and November and now and 2012.

And by the way does anyone else have Gene Simmons (KISS) on Fox? He’s a Republican! Not in name maybe but he understands where freedom comes from.

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Per CBO scoring:

Net cost of Coverage Provisions, 2010-2019: $794 Billion
Cost of “Doc Fix” repeal: $371 Billion
Total Health Scare Sham…………………$1,165 Billion
If you vote Democrat from now on, you are stupid and bovine.

ExpressoBold on March 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM

If it was outside of government, such activity would be considered criminal, as in LONG prison sentence criminal. Just ask Bernie Maddof and Ken Lay. And, well, have Geraldo ask Al Capone next time he seems him.

MB4 on March 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Isn’t it time to impeach Pelosi?

Cody1991 on March 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I guess we now need to have legislation that goes through this bill line by line and makes it invalid point by point. To get past the veto pen some of those stupid Dems will probably make out like bandits again! Dang!

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Gee, no sesquipedalian, no crr6, no other trolls on this thread. Wonder why?

notropis on March 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

They are just pissed that they didnt get the memo first…

JusDreamin on March 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Isn’t it time to impeach Pelosi?

Cody1991 on March 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Past time. What’s the process again?

DarkCurrent on March 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM

A hoax? No. The hoax is on the American people and businesses.

journeyintothewhirlwind on March 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM

“I will not comply!” Sounds like a good sign for a car window or at home.

Mike in Wisconsin on March 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM

A hoax? How convenient.

changer1701 on March 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM

ObjectionSustained on March 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

From where I sit, you’re not quite mad enough yet. You’ll get there.

hillbillyjim on March 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM

If the Republicans put out a hoax memo, why would they spend 3/4 of the memo emphasizing Democrat talking points not associated with the CBO numbers and 1/4 of the memo talking about how the CBO numbers support Democrat talking points regardless of the doc fix and one sentence saying don’t talk about the doc fix?

Although I do admit that the political language in the memo was… divisive to say the least (Republican sympathizers?! Are we nazis now?)

Skywise on March 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Skywise on March 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I agree. The language doesn’t sound like a Republican hoax to me, though it could be a very good one. It doesn’t matter…everyone will believe the Dems anyway.

changer1701 on March 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I confirmed it with another source on Capitol Hill a few minutes ago.

Ed who is your source?

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I know I am not saying anything new here, but I’m gonna say it again anyway.

If this shit sandwich gets jammed down our collective throats, there will be hell to pay.

These fools think they are impervious to our will. They are wrong. November is gonna be sooooooooooooo sweet. You two-faced bastards (you know who you are) are going to learn a hard lesson.

hillbillyjim on March 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

So this means the actual cost of the bill is more like $1.2 trillion? If it’s more than the Senate bill then it doesn’t meet the standards for reconciliation, right? Am I right?

smellthecoffee on March 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Hoax, my a$$. This is pure dem. No question about it.

These despicable, lying scumbag dems lie about everything. They are the ones who disingenuously accused the Tea Parties and Town Halls of being astroturf, when the dems are astroturf central (and their insane OFA hasn’t stopped with their crap for one second). These are the dems with the letter to the editor templates on The Precedent’s own site, to spam papers with junk letters.

The doc fix is real. The fraud by the dems is real. The dem attempt to trample every rule, tradition and procedure in order to seize governmental power is real – and that is a real coup d’etat.

neurosculptor on March 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

changer1701 on March 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

If it’s not a hoax, I’m really REALLY REALLY concerned about the language in that memo (anti-reform extremists? Republican sympathizers? That’s not the language you use towards your opposition in a civilized republic…)

Skywise on March 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM