Democratic memo instructs staffers to mislead voters and media on “doctor fix”; Update: It’s a hoax, say Dems

posted at 1:37 pm on March 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, a source in Washington DC sent me a scan of a memo that Democratic leadership has passed to staffers on the Hill instructing them how to handle the media and their bosses in the next 72 hours on ObamaCare.  I confirmed it with another source on Capitol Hill a few minutes ago.  The memo warns staffers to avoid discussing the mechanisms within the CBO analysis in order to mislead voters on their intentions for the “doctor fix” and how it will “undermine the reforms’ budget neutrality.”

I won’t transcribe it all (readers can download it here to read it in full), but I’ll highlight the relevant passage:

Second, most health staff are already aware that our health proposal does not contain a “doc fix.”  Some Republicans have repeated CBO’s November 18th letter that says “the sustainable growth rate (SGR) mechanism governing Medicare’s payments to physicians has been frequently modified (either through legislative or administrative action) to avoid reductions in those payments, and legislation to do so again is currently under consideration in Congress.”  The inclusion of a full SGR repeal would undermine the reform’s budget neutrality.  So, again, do not allow yourself (or your boss) to get into a discussion of the details of CBO scores and textual narrative.  Instead, focus only on the deficit reduction and number of Americans covered.

As most health staff knows, Leadership and the White House are working with the AMA to rally physicians support for a full SGR repeal later this spring.  However, both health and communications staff should understand that we do not want that policy discussed at this time, lest I [sic] complicate the last critical push for health reform.

While I was tracking down the sourcing on this, Politico’s Chris Frates already reported on it:

Democrats are planning to introduce legislation later this spring that would permanently repeal annual Medicare cuts to doctors, but are warning lawmakers not to talk about it for fear that it will complicate their push to pass comprehensive health reform. The plans undercut the party’s message that reform lowers the deficit, according to a memo obtained by POLITICO.

Democrats removed the so-called doc fix from the reform legislation last year because its $371-billion price tag would have made it impossible for Democrats to claim that their bill reduces the deficit. Republicans have argued for months that by stripping the doc fix from the bill, Democrats were playing a shell game.

Basically, this is an admission that the numbers the Democrats submitted to the CBO were entirely false, and that they plan to make this bill a deficit expander in the spring.  It’s a breathtaking admission of deceit and hypocrisy — and its exposure should have the media asking more questions about that CBO scoring and putting Democrats in the hot seat over it.

Update (AP): Memo? What memo?

“We have checked with every Democratic office, no one has ever seen it. It did not come out of a Democratic office,” the aide said, adding that media outlets printing the memo have not checked with leadership offices if the memo is authentic. A second Democratic leadership aide confirmed the memo was not sent by the Democrats. A third Democratic aide also said the memo is fake, citing the “draft” stamp and saying no one uses such things.

“If this were a Democratic communications person who wrote this, they should be fired, because this looks like Republican talking points,” the third Democratic aide told TPMDC.

The memo alleging the changes commonly known as a “doc fix” would be politically damaging to Democrats, who already are holding together a fragile coalition to get the needed 216 votes Sunday.

Update (Ed): When Politico went live with this article, I had confirmed with two people I know on the Hill that they had seen this being passed around.  Did it come from Democrats, or from Republicans?  I can’t answer that, but I did confirm with two sources that it exists.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Fox News is reporting that DeFazio has switched to a “No” vote.

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

It should but I’m guessing it won’t.

jennifernaz on March 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Go**am the leftist media whores for failing the nation in reporting this.

This is outright treachery on a national scale, the domestic terrorists are cheating and lying and stealing their way to complete power. This is tyranny.

Bishop on March 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The AMA represents less than 20% of physicians in the country & if I were betting on it I would bet that they do not want the doctor fix. All the AMA cares about is retaining the uncontested contract to be the provider of CPT’s

batterup on March 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I wish I had a cone of silence at work so I could scream some obscenities.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Paging Captain Louis Renault!!!

The MSM will not report on this.

Hunt035 on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Hening: “When does the revolution officially begin?”

November 2010!

Hopefully with ballots…

Justrand on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Too bad the MSM doesn’t care. This should be the straw that broke the camel’s back, truly astounding. Pitchforks at the ready.

Sharke on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

YAWN…….

…..Another story that the media won’t cover, another trickery that will get un-reported, another attempt to screw “we the people”.

America, 1776-?

PappyD61 on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Oy vey.

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I think any member of congress voting for ObamaCare is committing sedition. They KNOW the bill is unconstitutional and likely to be harmful to the Republic. At the very least they should have their pensions and other federal benefits stripped away permanently. I’ll be writing letters and making calls recommending this.

Metanis on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Question… can the Federal Government be accused of Fraud?

This is a willfull misleading of the Electorate… not just politics where it is “perceived”, or some opinion… but a blatant bait and switch which if any Company or person did it, the would be in Jail.

This is nothing short of Conspriacy to Commit Fraud.

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!

D2Boston on March 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Gosh, I wish I felt either surprised or hopeful about this news.

Hey, where are we going? And why are we in this hand basket?

Dorvillian on March 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Too late d’s, we already know what is in the bill and WE DO WANT it! You lie, lie, lie you scum bags!
L

letget on March 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I just love our empire of noble lies.

RMOccidental on March 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

The evidence will flow in and people will be held accountable. Even though the MSM is in love with Obama, I believe they love a good fall from grace more.

truetexan on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This memo should be featured on every news station and newspaper in the country!

This may not be a smoking gun, but it is definetly part of the arsenal.

pilamaye on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Do you have a PDF version of an application to become Amish that you can send me?

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Hide the Decline.

portlandon on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This memo needs to go viral.

farright on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

And it would, if the MSM were anything other than the propaganda arm for the DNC.

MarkTheGreat on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Most will have no idea.

MT on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Yup. This should fall somewhere between “Breaking News” and triggering the Emergency Broadcast System. But I doubt it gets anything more than a passing mention.

db on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

PDFs lock up our computers and are therefore the work of the devil. Just repeat it enough till you are well indexed in google. You’ll be fine.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You think we still have a chance?

He’s got “THE STASH“……and he’s using it!!!!!

PappyD61 on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Lies lies lies. Democrats on parade.

daesleeper on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I wish I had a cone of silence at work so I could scream some obscenities.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Would that be a working cone of silence, or the Maxwell Smart version?

MarkTheGreat on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Why do the Democrats want to do s#x to all of us?

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

LIARS. I cannot believe how corrupt these people are. Unreal.

On top of that, the CBO numbers do not reflect a full ten years of this deathcare bill since the benefits don’t start until 2014.

LIARS.

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Jeepers. Let’s stick with the important stuff like American Idol.

BowHuntingTexas on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Fox News is reporting that DeFazio has switched to a “No” vote.

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

So what’s the vote count now?

Dark-Star on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

When did the educated voters ever think they were not being mislead?

elderberry on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I’m sure the MSM will get right on with asking Democrats hard questions about this:

MSM – “Speaker Pelosi, why are the mean-spirited Republicans working so hard to prevent dying children from accessing life-saving medical care?”

NoDonkey on March 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I linked this post on my facebook page. If I can find another way to publish it, I will. People need to know about this garbage.

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

The last time I was this surprised was when I found out Rosie O’Donnell isn’t into men.

Chuck Schick on March 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Rush is on this now!!

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Would that be a working cone of silence, or the Maxwell Smart version?

MarkTheGreat on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Given this kind of news, I will definitely need to fully operational cone of silence.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Rush is talking about this now. At least millions now know what those slug slims are doing.
L

letget on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I wish I had a cone of silence at work so I could scream some obscenities.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

…and this is why we shouldn’t be allowed to read HA at work. We become volatile people! :)

flyawaybird on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

You think we still have a chance?

He’s got “THE STASH“……and he’s using it!!!!!

PappyD61 on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I was thinking about this morning. The Obama WH squeezed the farmers and irrigation in CA, discontinued the Space Shuttle at NASA, want to control student loans and NOW they can use those issues to bribe the representatives from those states with the healthcare takeover.

Coincidence or purposeful?

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Democrats being deceitful? Well, I never would have expected that!

Paradox Drive on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Now there’s a real shocker.

OmahaConservative on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Me and my new found brothers and sisters in the Amish faith will be praying for you. I just haven’t received an answer from the elders on whether or not I can keep my broadband connection.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Is Rush talking about this? (I’m at work, can’t listen at the moment). He & Glenn tonight need to trumpet this as loud as possible. Vile deceptions by the Demoncrats.

rbj on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

We become volatile people! :)

flyawaybird on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM

we evaporate at low temperatures???

MarkTheGreat on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I can’t believe that these honest, open politicians would lie to us.

search4truth on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Let me pretend that I’m stunned…

PatriotRider on March 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Amen to that, Brother.

Patrick S on March 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

“Doctor Fix”!!

Soon its gonna be Liberal Fix!

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

TREASON !!!

The UnConstitutional Traitors…

And we say it’s all gonna be ok…

It is NOT going to be ok, the Courts will NOT overturn this bill… Most of them are Activists, Radical Leftists…

Tax Revolt and Millions refusing to PAY the mandated insurance…

The I.R.S knocking down your doors at gun point putting people in jail…

When will we stand up ???

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Just repeat it enough till you are well indexed in google. You’ll be fine.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Success…from a Google search:

Contents/Non-Amish Index#2/Oleyhan2.docYoder Lineage – Other than Amish …… Wash., Jeff. CO., d. 1918 -2 children +OH133893- John Baldoes b. m. Florence Eberhardt res. Shelton, …

Proof that I am Amish.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

HAHAHA! What a great, funny, sarcastic line…yeah, that will happen.
Just as soon as Obama admits he has no clue what is in this bill…as soon as the dems admit that they don’t care about the bill or the details, just the control it gives them…
These are guys who squeal like a pig win Obama is asked a few ordinary questions.
Media: What do you think about this memo?
Pelosi: It was not meant to be public, the Republicans are desperate, stealing internal memos.
Media: Okay, so what are you going to do about this Republican attack.
Pelosi: We and the American people won’t stand for this partisan attacks at a pivotal time in our history.
Media: What can we do to help you…..

right2bright on March 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Keep this in mind as we watch this weekend.

Ask yourself is he fulfilling his oath or guilty of violating his oath?

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

“NEGATIVE RIGHTS”, etc.

PappyD61 on March 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Third best prostitute in my country.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Basically, this is an admission that the numbers the Democrats submitted to the CBO were entirely false, and that they plan to make this bill a deficit expander in the spring. It’s a breathtaking admission of deceit and hypocrisy — and its exposure should have the media asking more questions about that CBO scoring and putting Democrats in the hot seat over it.

The Weekly Standard points out that the CBO scoring starts with 2010. So the “ten years” has one year right off the bat that costs $0. No deception in that is there?

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Oy vey.

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

ROFLMAO!!! I officially quit shaving starting today. Am I Amish now? LOL

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

The most corrupt Congress ever.

Absolutely disgusting.

Cody1991 on March 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM

How anyone can support this kind of lying, corruption, and deception is beyond me. It only confirms to me, that those who continue to do so, are as morally bankrupt as those elected officials with a D behind their name.

There has to be grounds to stop this, based on this information!!!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Hopefully with ballots…

Justrand on March 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Really, think a ballot actually matters anymore? Contracts don’t matter. Ownership of private property does not matter. Ballots …

Welcome to tyranny. Many have wondered what it tyranny looks like … well … up close and personal … now the curious get to experience it.

Why do the Democrats want to do s#x to all of us?

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Because, in their fantasy, they you believe you are a powerless serf that needs bridled. Shut up and feed the beast, serf. Back to work.

THEY DO NOT FEAR THE PEOPLE ANY LONGER. Folks need to embed that deep in their head.

Should be interesting in coming days and weeks … Americans don’t react quite like Europeans.

AZ_Redneck on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Whatever happens, keep in mind that this crisis of government was a long time coming. It’s easy to attribute all of it, or most of it, to Obama and congressional liberals.

But this has been coming for a hundred years.

In my opinion, we lost the country when the left imposed compulsory public education on us.

We are a nation of idiots. Is this not exactly what ought to happen to a nation of idiots? As for me, an old man, I don’t care. But the young people don’t know what they’ve done to themselves, and they’re going to find out you can’t just make this go away. Leaders like this don’t just go away.

I’ll be dead and gone, but I really feel for the young people. It’s gonna be a rough century for them.

jeff_from_mpls on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Why do the Democrats want to do s#x to all of us?

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:49 PM

WashJeff: Umm,because they can’t help themselves,and
they are the Party of Debaucherous Sexocrats,
crap, I mean Democrats!!:)

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

We voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Will you be at the barn-raising tomorrow. The wife and kids are grinding corn and churning butter, trying to get ready for the crowds.

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Coincidence or purposeful?

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

These are the folks that routed/hijacked the Chicago and Clinton networks. There is no such animal as COINCIDENCE.

canditaylor68 on March 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Please Ed, I am imploring you to stop plastering these picks of Botox Queen all over the front page of HA. I had her invading my dreams all night long.
Talk about the MOTHER of all nightmares…

OmahaConservative on March 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Greta talked about this on her blog too. She’s upset about it.

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

My take is that it doesn’t matter. The Dems are going against public opinion, in a huge way.

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Oy vey.

You non-Amish folk are in for some serious trouble.

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM
ROFLMAO!!! I officially quit shaving starting today. Am I Amish now? LOL

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

We are all Amish now!!! I belong to the New Reformed Electricty and Fossil Fuels Amish Church aka NREFA

The transparency in the presentation of this legislation is breathtaking.

kringeesmom on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I would think this memo would be a “game changer” … it’s a clear indication of corruption in the Democratic party and shows clearly how they are lieing to the American people.

HondaV65 on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

canditaylor68 on March 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I agree.

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

jeff_from_mpls on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

:( I fear for the future of my children!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Lol, I converted over to the agnostic sect of the Amish religion a while back.

TheSitRep on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Palin on Beck yesterday…….

I hope she’s right.

PappyD61 on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Its the least you owe The Creator of liberties. It is He that the founders attributed their quest for freedom, correctly so, and it is He that will ultimately set this nation back to its founding.

True_King on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

ain’t gonna happen with chrissy, andrea and the gang…

*crickets* from the msm

they want this boondoggle passed just as much as dear leader

cmsinaz on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

We’re working on that here at our little homestead.. tough times are a comin’

kringeesmom on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I would think this memo would be a “game changer”
HondaV65 on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

It would be, if we had watch dogs instead of lap dogs.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

this needs to be reported throughout the media. RNC needs to do an ad right now with this charade. this information can kill the bill.

jbh45 on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

We THEY voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Don’t blame the election of Barack Hussein Obama on me and others who did not vote for him. We weren’t the idiots who were duped.

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

lorien1973 on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM

And, I have the perfect horse for you. Only driven on Sundays.

katy the mean old lady on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

kringeesmom on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaw! :D

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

See? There you silly people go again talking process instead of policy! There are people out there wearing dead people’s dentures!

Once this is passed Dems will be better off politically than they would without it…kinda like how we’re better off for passing the stimulus than we would’ve been without it.

C’mon, use some logic, dammit!

cartooner on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I’m sure the Media will get right on it.

paragon27x on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

:( I fear for the future of my children!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Don’t worry. The abortion portion of the bill will assure we don’t have nearly as many of them in the future.

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Drudge linked the Politico story so sorry Dems everybody knows. But hey what’s a little lie between friends?

petunia on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

They’re intentionally lying to the public. They’re not putting forth an opinion on the numbers. They are INTENTIONALLY, LYING to the public.

That IS unconstitutional.

Skywise on March 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

OK, so HCR passes. It’s all but over.

The Dems get one week of sheer gloating.

What’s next?

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Pain and suffering are the only thing these corruptocrats will react to.

They want their garmonbozia. I say let them have it.

daesleeper on March 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Good article.

justltl on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

You can always hope, eh? Enjoy it…because there are huge cuts to medicare coming soon. They need that money to cover care for the young. If you’re over 40….enjoy what you have, because you won’t be getting more!

capejasmine on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

What’s next?

AnninCA on March 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

The first salvo of lawsuits.

darwin on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

When does the revolution officially begin?

It’s the least we owe to the founding fathers.

Hening on March 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I would ask you to use different terminology. Instead of “revolution”, I suggest “restoration”.

There is nothing wrong with our form of government, only those that lead it. We need to restore what we’ve lost over the years, not reform.

But I’m with ya all the way.

BobMbx on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

mwdiver on March 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

If you like your broadband, you can keep your broadband.

katy the mean old lady on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM

amen…it sure wasn’t ‘we’…

cmsinaz on March 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM

We voted for a Marxist. This is what we get.

faraway on March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

faraway:Well,the majority,or sumpin close to that on H/A,
forseen this tragic train wreck of Obama’s Pres
identcy,and his socialist tendacies,and yet,he was
still elected!!

And to this day,NOBODY knows who he is,or his past,
as well as his mysterious name change from Barry
Seotoro to Barack Obama!!:)

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Rush, Drudge, Greta, MM … it’s gonna get pretty hard to ignore, soon !!
Trumpeters, do your thing(s) !!

pambi on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

When will we stand up ???

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I keep asking the same question.

So far I’ve found virtually no willingness from anyone to inconvenience themselves.

If I am to live under a communist government then my life will not be worth living.

I will stand. I will fight.

Dorvillian on March 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Greta talked about this on her blog too. She’s upset about it.

conservative pilgrim on March 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

It’s not like we didn’t know it was coming… but it is the upfront disdain they have for the American People!

They have to trick us for our own good.

It is sick!