Big news: Altmire to vote no

posted at 4:40 pm on March 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

A true undecided, who voted yes on the Slaughter strategy yesterday and has been one of the most visible fencesitters thanks to his frequent media hits. But what does it mean?

Congressman Jason Altmire will vote against the latest version of health care reform when the U.S. House of Representatives votes on the bill this weekend.

Altmire confirmed that he has decided to vote no in a telephone conversation with KDKA Political Editor Jon Delano.

The McCandless Democrat is expected to post a statement on his website later today.

Paul Ryan says Pelosi’s still short, but my eeyorish heart puts me in the Ace camp on this. I suspect they have around 205 public yeses — 204 to be exact, according to FDL, although the day is young — and maybe another 20 or so private assurances from vulnerable members who’ve told them they’ll vote yes if need be but would like to avoid it. In that case, the question for Pelosi right now is deciding (a) how many yeses she wants in the final roll (probably a few more than 216 so that no one’s accused of having been the deciding vote), (b) which lucky Blue Dogs she’ll cut loose to vote no, and (c) what sort of deals the others will demand to make this kamikaze vote worth their while. If I’m wrong and this is still genuinely up in the air, then Altmire could be huge as a bellwether for the rest of the centrists. If I’m right, then he’s just a lucky Blue Dog whom they didn’t need. And given that another Blue Dog, Allen Boyd, just flipped from no to yes, I’m feeling like I’m right.

“It’s a coin toss,” says Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) to National Review Online. “We were just on the floor going through whip-check. They still aren’t there yet. It’s narrowed down, from what we can tell, to four or five. Obviously, the numbers favor them, if you compare the pool of undecided votes to how many they need to come over. They only need about 50 percent of the remaining undecideds to break their way. On our side, we need seven votes to defeat this. At this point, we’re really only talking about a handful of votes.

The White House told Bloomberg News this morning that they were six votes short, which probably doesn’t include people like Boccieri who were expected to flip. That jibes with what Dick Morris(!) and the Standard are hearing, but lefty Rep. Stephen Lynch (who’s still momentarily a no) is betting that they’ll have the votes by Sunday or else they wouldn’t risk bringing it to the floor. Exit question: Is that true, though? Boehner said the same thing yesterday, that if Pelosi doesn’t think she has the votes, she’ll pull the bill before the vote happens. I’m not so sure, though. If it’s within four or five votes, why not threaten wavering Dems by forcing them to cast a no ballot and thereby earn the left’s eternal fury?

Update: Here’s Boyd’s statement. Not only is he a Blue Dog, he’s co-chair of the caucus. Follow the leader?

“Throughout this entire debate, I have consistently said that responsible healthcare reform will embody four key principles: it will reduce costs, increase access, ensure patient choice, and not add to the federal deficit,” Boyd said in a statement.

“This bill is not perfect, but I believe it meets these four principles of responsible reform by providing the largest middle class tax credits for healthcare in our nation’s history and preserving a patient’s ability to choose their own doctor.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

its definitely not over

ousoonerfan15 on March 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM

The tug of war continues.

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Because if it comes to a vote on the House floor and those wavering Dems flip Pelosi the bird(figuratively speaking of course), then Obama and Pelosi look like complete tools in front of the entire country. It’s too big of a gamble.

Doughboy on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

(b) which lucky Blue Dogs she’ll cut loose to vote no

Of course, if this thing passes does it really matter who votes against it? These people on the fence need to know most of them are going to be lumped in together no matter what…

ninjapirate on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I really think my head is going to explode. I cannot stand much more of this.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

So good news…but, it doesn’t matter?I have a hard time believing she’d put it up for a vote not having enough votes. Why risk having it go down in flames?

changer1701 on March 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Allahpundit, do you honestly believe these pols don’t know how they’re voting on Sunday? It’s the biggest vote of their lives!

Those who are undecided are going to break toward the “no” column. They’re just afraid to come public about it. If they were going to vote Yes, they’d say so and the heat would be off them.

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Altmire practices coitus interruptus.

So close….so close….

BobMbx on March 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I am a wreck right now. I hate Democrats so much.

Apologetic California on March 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I really think my head is going to explode. I cannot stand much more of this.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Do you drink? Can you start?

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Why don’t you take the weekend off, Allahpundit? We really don’t need a Debbie Downer right now.

KSgop on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I really think my head is going to explode. I cannot stand much more of this.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

The fight ain’t over for a while so take a break and recoop

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Is this really big news or just more smoke and mirrors to placate us until Sunday when they pass it?

Byzantine on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I read on Ace some Blue-Dog on the panhandle of Florida is switching from No to Yes and now they are just scrambling for cover, i.e., let some newbies vote No. Altmire is so very very brave, isn’t he.

Marcus on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Dick Morris said that she’ll vote on it if it’s close…

ninjapirate on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Altmire may simply have been given the green light to vote NO as they think they have enough, and he is in a contested district.

sharrukin on March 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

None of these guys wants the bill to pass, but all of them want to appear to be good party memebers. For every flip to yes, somebody will flip to no to stop the bill. For every flip to no, somebody will flip to yes to safely please their masters.

joe_doufu on March 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Altmire must have been getting my faxes.

RESPECT THE VOTERS!!!!

VOTE NO ON OBAMACARE!!!!

portlandon on March 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

The undecided Dems are d@mned if the do and d@mned if the don’t. One thing for sure is that they are p!ssed that Obama put them between a rock and hard place.

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

My wife and I are leaving in 5 hours to drive to DC and protest this.

RobertInLexington on March 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Poker. All donks are for sale on this one. Well, they also like the air time to pump up their importance.

a capella on March 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I believe the phrase is “plug” (opposite of “gulp”)

Like I said yesterday, they don’t have the votes yet, but thought they could get them (and it’s a good probability) but this also means the fight’s not over yet.

We’re within… what 5 votes of getting a majority to kill the vote outright?

Skywise on March 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Anyone else want them to just put this to a vote already? I’m about ready to snap.

t.ferg on March 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

BTW, if the dems want this to just go away their best bet is to vote no…

There will be court challenges… there will be more votes for reconciliation fixes… there is the doctor fix that has to be voted on… there is the vote for the public option that Reid promised… we’ll be talking Health Care forever if this thing passes… we can move on if it fails….

ninjapirate on March 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Pft! The left’s fury amounts to name calling and spitting. You give them far too much credit.

AubieJon on March 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

My bet is that this happens. Pelosi clearly wants rid of the so-called “blue dogs”. This is one way to do it, since it will provoke far left primary challengers.

wildcat84 on March 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

If this passes, all those doctors that will quite or retire need to run against the local Democrat.

michaelo on March 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

This is going to make for one wild weekend…

Seven Percent Solution on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

i hate to say it, but the 222 votes the dems got yesterday for the slaughter solution is proof that 6 dems are fighting over who gets to vote no and save their jobs – and altmire just got one of those 6 “no” spots.

its all theatre from here, its going to pass, sadly, sadly, sadly.

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I really think my head is going to explode. I cannot stand much more of this.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Indeed.

visions on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

AARP and the AMA both just came out with endorsements of the bill, per AP (not AllahP).

GnuBreed on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

where’s my tums?

ugh

cmsinaz on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I really think my head is going to explode. I cannot stand much more of this.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Copy that, Evie.

And if I see one more picture of Pelosi’s mug I’m afraid my eyeballs are gonna melt right outta my head…

Bruno Strozek on March 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Dems understand the clock is ticking on this. IF they let their folks go home and get an earful over Spring break… they are in trouble…

BUT, if they keep them in Washington for the entire Spring break, with many having commitments to campaign fundraisers and such? The Leadership will be VERY unpopular.

Add in the optic of Washington spending all their time and effort on somthing we the American voters do not want, while letting our economy go to H3LL?

Clocks ticking on this… they may need to try a do or die vote on Sunday anyway.

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

wildcat84 on March 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

The deadline for filing for primaries in some states has passed so she’d have to check that out before making threats.

Wethal on March 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Can someone explain to me the process they plan to use? Is the House voting on the reconciliation package, or the Senate bill? And do we know what will be part of reconciliation?

changer1701 on March 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

GnuBreed on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

That’s nice that the AMA thinks physicians should be indentured servants of the state.

Because I sure want an oncologist who speaks english as a fourth language and who makes less than a plumber.

NoDonkey on March 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Don’t tease me like this ….

BrideOfRove on March 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Time for a little Charlie Daniels.

donkichi on March 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Current Fire Dog Lake count:

Yea – 197
Lean favor – 8
Lean Oppose – 3
Nay – 208
Unknown – 15

Note per Ace: This reflects Boyd’s ‘Yes’ vote, and it does not reflect Altmire’s ‘no’ vote. Enjoy…

joejm65 on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Grrr…Boyd’s my Congress critter here in Tally. I am totally p!ssed. Judging by the Tea Party here last year though, he just gave up his job with this vote. Time to roll…

specialkayel on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

My wife and I are leaving in 5 hours to drive to DC and protest this.

RobertInLexington on March 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

For all of us that cannot attend, THANK YOU!
And remember, you have to be loud enough to be heard clearly, in hell!

JusDreamin on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

GnuBreed on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I thought everyone tore up their AARP cards?

Oink on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

It’s so over, it’s not even funny. If this doesn’t pass this weekend, they’re still going to keep pushing it. The fat lady’s been singing since last year.

JavelinaBomb on March 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

GnuBreed on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Their crazy leadership, not their members. No different than unions…

Schadenfreude on March 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

We are getting tied up in nameplates, Blue Dog, This & That, Moderate… yada yada yada

(Think of the Teachers and Adults in the Peanuts cartoons speaking)

WE MOST VOTE OUT ALL DEMOCRATES IN NOVEMBER !!! ALL OF THEM, this is a shell game… I’m a YES if you need me, but I’d rather LIE and commit TREASON and say I’m a NO so we can keep our majority AFTER Nov 2010…

STOP IT ALL OF YOU !!!

The far left radicals are ALL THE DEMOCRATES and they must ALL GO !!!!!!!

NO PALE PASTELS, BOLD COLORS… I choose RED, WHITE and BLUE

Mark Garnett on March 19, 2010 at 4:58 PM

JavelinaBomb on March 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

If they hold a vote and it DOESN’T pass, it’s over. No means no.

joejm65 on March 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

GnuBreed on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Yep. right in line with the “fake” memo…

JusDreamin on March 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Remember Obama moved his Asian trip to June. If they don`t pass it Sunday they will keep trying again and again and again until they do.

albill on March 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Do you drink? Can you start?

I started at noon :0)

I AM KIDDING!!!!

evie on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

These theatrics are getting wearisome. Just vote the blasted thing so we can move on to the fight over amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Skandia Recluse on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Off topic but does ANYONE have a link to a working Foxnews stream? Fox has been very aggressive over the past month and shut all the ones down, that I had available.

Im not asking you post the link here but could you perhaps just let me know if you have one and ill then post my secondary email address so you could send it to me if you would be so gracious.

bucsox79 on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

specialkayel on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, if he’s Panhandle or North Florida, he’s toast unless his district is the FSU and/or FAMU campuses.

joejm65 on March 19, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, Gabe M just posted a “Spine Stiffener” at Ace’s. We’re not going to know for sure how this is going to break until the vote. All we can do is keep the phone lines going and keep pressing on.

Matt Helm on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Time for a little Charlie Daniels.

donkichi on March 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM

And a lot of Jack Daniels.

farright on March 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Do you drink? Can you start?

Hell, it’s 5:00 somewhere. WAIT, it is 5:00 here.

evie on March 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

michaelo on March 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

sicoit on March 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I started at noon :0)

I AM KIDDING!!!! I started at 8AM.
evie on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

FIFY

WashJeff on March 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM

If they hold a vote and it DOESN’T pass, it’s over. No means no.

There is probably some sentence in the bill that says, “If this bill doesn`t pass it can be voted on over and over again until there is a vote (which must pass by both houses of congress) to not vote on the Health care bill again.”

albill on March 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

TGI 5:00! Glenn’s on…gotta watch.

sicoit on March 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Remember, you can pray for our country and light a virtual candle here:

UnderstandingisPower on March 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Hope?

Milkin’ it for all it’s worth, eh, AP? You are a master of your craft.

JDPerren on March 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Willy Wonka:
“The suspense is terrible; I hope it lasts”

RobCon on March 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Matt Helm on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Yup. That’s where I got the info. What’s throwing everyone into a tizzy is FOX and their whip count, which they can’t seem to support with names and statements of support, only guesstimations it seems. Grain of salt, folks…

joejm65 on March 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Everyone who votes yes on this bill should have their pensions and other federal benefits stripped away permanently. The need the same a$$ raping they’re laying on us.

Metanis on March 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

And a lot of Jack Daniels.

farright on March 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Dam… reminds me… I need to get to the liquor store…

Cause we’re getting 5-10 inches of global warmin here in Denver today.

Romeo13 on March 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Dems sure know how to ruin opening weekend of NCAA Tourney

jp on March 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Are they stupid enough to follow him off the cliff?

I hope his constituents blast his phone lines and even show up at his office in droves.

ncconservative on March 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM

This news makes me actually less optimistic. Altmire was a hand-picked Rahm Emmanuel candidate who was supported by MoveOn.org. If he votes no, I can only assume that the Dems already have their votes secured for this atrocity.

What is InTrade showing right now? If its above 80, its over. If it is less than 80, the Republic may yet survive.

Norwegian on March 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Behold the power of the constituency

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

These people aren’t getting it. They aren’t voting for the reconcilation bill, they are voting for the Senate bill. That will go to Obama to sign and then the reconciliation bill will go to the Senate for separate approval by them. The Senate will not hold their bill from the President in order to vote on the “fix-it’ bill. In fact, they probably won’t vote on the DemonPass bill at all, and we’ll be stuck with the Senate bill as the law of the land.

You can bet Pelosi knows this.

I can’t believe these are people are so damn dumb.

ladyingray on March 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I wonder how many Americans are going to show up in DC tomorrow?

kingsjester on March 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM

its all theatre from here, its going to pass, sadly, sadly, sadly.

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on March 19, 2010 at 4:51 PM

doesn’t matter if its theatre or not, until it either passes or dies, keep calling, keep calling, keep calling.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

and preserving a patient’s ability to choose their own doctor.”

What if your Dr. quits?

PappaMac on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I can’t believe these are people are so damn dumb.

ladyingray on March 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Less stupid, more blinded by their power pangs

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Matt Helm on March 19, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I’m almost 100% sure his district does include the two college campuses (which are pretty liberal), but there’s also a lot of conservative spots outside of Tallahassee that’s included. Plus, from what I’ve seen, people are pretty angry here over all of this. Not to mention, the college kids did their “good deed” in voting in 2008, so I’m sure they’ll be back to their binging at election time this year ;).

specialkayel on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Don’t be fooled, folks.

This thing will pass. There’s enough taxpayer $$$ to go around for bribes, kickbacks and general prostitution.

RedNewEnglander on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Less stupid, more blinded by their power pangs

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

And I’m going to be the first to point out this makes NO sense. Sorry — long day at work.

But I think y’all get the point.

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Good, I am glad to hear he voted no. And Allah, you might be right, but then again the constant we are doomed drum beat gets a little tedious after awhile.

And why should the blue dogs, or a lot of other rank and file Democrats, care about Pelosi all that much? Look at what their leadership has done to them. I doubt if she will even have that job in a few months anyway, so how many threats and promises can she even follow through on? Personally, if I was a Democrat facing almost certain defeat in November I might vote no just to spite the morons who blew a super majority.

Terrye on March 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

My guess is that Dominatrix Speaker Peolsi has the votes, and is now taking bids from the Blue Lap Dogs to get her permission to be one of the lucky ones in the “No”.
This should put to rest any notion of Moderate Democrat being any more real than a Unicorn.

freemarketer on March 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

For the “Undecided” blue-dogs out there, the Tea Party should counter Obama and openly offer their Own Bribes to them if they will vote No

jp on March 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Breaking: John Barrow, Georgia Dem, is voting no.

Enoxo on March 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Am I missing something? His statement indicates he’s voting yes.

ihasurnominashun on March 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Sorry — long day at work.

But I think y’all get the point.

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Got yourself a job kid?

thomasaur on March 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Don’t be fooled, folks.

RedNewEnglander on March 19, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I would say odds are you are right, but hope springs eternal. Besides, I can remember a lot of people saying there was no way Scott Brown would win that election in Mass. no way no how, but he did. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Terrye on March 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM

NRO says Altmire and Lynch’s nos indicates she might have the votes. :(

andy85719 on March 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I’d also add that I wish the Republicans would call out the undecideds: You had the chance to say NO but didn’t. Even if you get one of Pelosi’s “get out of Yes” cards, it wasn’t Free and your No means nothing when you enable the bill to pass through your fecklessness.

freemarketer on March 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Another iceberg el smacko!!

canopfor on March 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Got yourself a job kid?

thomasaur on March 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Two part-timers. One with the census. I know, I know. Let me tell you this, even though I believe in the necessity keeping tabs on the number of Americans, working there all week through training has confirmed everything I’ve believed in the sluggishness of the Federal government.

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Yeah last part of quoteds statement makes it sound like he’s voting yes

jp on March 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Is it starting to unravel for the Dems???

My question is, If the Senate bill is Deemed as Passed, why worry about the House Reconciliation Bill? Can’t Nancy just prance over to the Senate and hand them the Deemed Passed Bill? Why all the worries about having 216 Yea Votes?

This doesn’t add up….but we are talking about Dems.

PappaMac on March 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I think this is hope. When I saw him on Fox News Sunday with John Adler of New Jersey (was it last weekend?), I thought for sure that Altmire was a yes and Adler was a no. Now it looks like they’re both no. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous Finch on March 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

BTW, most of the numbers I called this afternoon were busy. If the call went to voicemail, in most cases the vm box was full. I got through to only 4 live staffers.

At McMahon’s Staten Island office, the staffer told me to clear the line for constituents. So if you live in McMahon’s district, call the Staten Island office: 718-351-1062.

At Cardoza’s Modesto office (209-527-1914), the staffer told me Cardoza is still reading the bill. He asked for my address, and the way he said it made me think he was getting ready to blow me off because I don’t live in the district, so I got off the phone. Cardoza is one of the “water weenies”, I think. If you live in his district, call him.

Allen Boyd’s DC office confirmed that he’s voting “Yes”. I told them I would be donating to his opponent.

The fourth was a congressman from the South who will be voting “No.” I thanked the weary staffer profusely and promised a campaign contribution.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

That is Boyd, not Altmire.

andy85719 on March 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Intrade at 81.6 that it passes. Not good!

texgal on March 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

freemarketer on March 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I would hope any constituent who lives in any district where they had to sit through this Hamlet act can decipher what’s up and vote accordingly.

Marcus on March 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Two part-timers. One with the census.
blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Oh, good for you, BB! Please be our “census mole” and post frequently.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM

blatantblue on March 19, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The govt. has two speeds and if you don’t like the one you have already seen you are definitely not going to be happy with the other one.

thomasaur on March 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I have this image in my head of all the blue dogs lined up at Pelosi’s door to argue why they should be one of the Dems allowed to vote “no”. Since some of them will have to bite the bullet, i wonder if it comes down to who can still win in November if they vote against the bill and who doesnt have a chance either way.

Thats probably close to conspiracy theoryville but if Pelosi does have votes to play with and you want to keep your job, how do you campaign for a “no” slot?

alecj on March 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Intrade at 81.6 that it passes. Not good!

texgal on March 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Soros has a lot of money. Just sayin’.

Mary in LA on March 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM