Video: Bret Baier criticized for his interruptions by … Chris Matthews

posted at 9:42 pm on March 18, 2010 by Allahpundit

A giggleworthy palate cleanser via Tom Elia. The irony of this will be evident if you’ve seen so much as one episode of “Hardball,” but judging by the ratings, you probably haven’t. In which case, go watch this Matthews classic from November to prepare yourself. In fairness, his standards aren’t necessarily inconsistent: Respect for the presidency might demand unusual deference from an interviewer, which explains why it may be inappropriate to politely interrupt him but not inappropriate to ramble on aimlessly for minutes on end while your C-list-pundit guests struggle to get a word in edgewise.

I wonder if it would have been okay to interrupt Bush to challenge him for avoiding a tough question on, say, Iraq. I’ll bet David Zurawik thinks so:

As much credit as I give Obama for taking his healthcare message to Fox News and staying on point, I also praise Baier for being thoroughly prepared and hitting a very difficult tone of being appropriately aggressive without being hectoring or rude. It was a textbook encounter of how the press should engage the executive branch of government. Think of it as the antidote to NBC anchorman Brian Williams’ bow to Obama in his prime-time White House special last year.

It’s a short clip, but do note as well the lockstep anti-Fox sneering by Walsh and Tucker. That’s a little bonus irony for you.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

How do you not interrupt BULLZHIT ?

CWforFreedom on March 18, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Would that be the MSNBC which, along with CNN, has lower ratings on some nights than the Cartoon Network (Drudge)?

Wethal on March 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Chris Matthews is jealous… that jingle up his leg needs constant stimulus…

IntheNet on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Chris Matthews is so unintentionally meta.

darii on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I hope Chris Matthews can’t get his prescription filled at Walgreens. It’ll serve him right.

jimmy2shoes on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Wow three leftards talking about the interview. Who would have thought?

CWforFreedom on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

All the right pigs are squealing.

SouthernGent on March 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I started watching this and had to turn it off…I had enough of the lefturds earlier in the day. :)

Yellowdog12 on March 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Well, Chrissy’s a good boy, he’d never interrupt His Majesty.

obladioblada on March 18, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Dude, I hope this commetn comes out ok…I cna’t stop laughing….

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BobMbx on March 18, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Except for the liberals and progressives that are saying what he wants to hear he constantly interrupts every guest on his show.

Helloyawl on March 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Obama must have really come across as badly as I thought he did if this is what they are talking about. Otherwise, wouldn’t the message be Obama kicked a$$?

Sue on March 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Sorry, MSNBC. You made a poor business decision by dedicating yourselves to Obama. He knows that you\’ll spout anything his press team e-mails you, but when he really needs something, he\’s going to Fox.

Dead Hand Control on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Chris Matthews is jealous… that jingle up his leg needs constant stimulus…

IntheNet on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Chrissy had his claws out! Talk about catty.:)

Chrissy wants to be Obama’s #1. Hmmmm, if Obama can’t handle going on Fox, then how are we to trust him in a room with Putin or Ahmadinejad(sp?)?

sarahpalinfan99 on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Screw this idiot Matthews . . . he’s not worth the use of serious expletives.

rplat on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

That tool still has a show? On television? Really? Why?

ROCnPhilly on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Watch Chris Matthews? I’d rather be waterboarded.

Star20 on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I’ve moved past disgust to sympathy. Chris Matthews is just not right. I hope he gets help.

sherry on March 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You would think that they would be far more outraged by Obama’s indifference to the LAW

CWforFreedom on March 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM

sarahpalinfan99 on March 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Putin already took Obama anally. That’s why we don’t have missile defense system in Poland and Czech Republic.

Obama is just too frightned to be in a room with man who wears the same Members jacket all the time. It would clash with his fashion sense and make him look…..uh…..imperial? Plus, Michelle doesn’t like to be kissed by men with facial hair.

BobMbx on March 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

sherry on March 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM

He deserves some ObamaCare. Maybe they’ll give him a pill instead of the operation…

ROCnPhilly on March 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

All the right pigs are squealing.

SouthernGent on March 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Bingo!

thomasaur on March 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM

And now another episode of “Reading between the Lines”

Christ Matthews:

WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAA, I didn’t get the interview…..WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAA.

Someone get me (WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)Jeffy Immelt on the (WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA) phone..”

PappyD61 on March 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Bret Baier… never had spittle fly out of his mouth while in a rage during an interview.

Sorry, Tingles, you lose.

red winger on March 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Ummm…when you’re getting beat in the rating by the Cartoon Network, it might make sense to reexamine the business model.

ROFL.

Bishop on March 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Watch the video again…

… Little Chrissy interupts his first guest, Joan(?) within seconds, then someone off camera had to give him the “cut of the head” sign to shut up.

Seven Percent Solution on March 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM

OT – Allah, since you are so interested in your boy Mitt’s book, I will keep you informed – it’s dropped to #145 on amazon.com (after two weeks). I have heard rumors that he is doing a book signing tour, but it doesn’t seem to be getting any coverage. I haven’t heard about anyone camping out 24 hours in advance to see him. Maybe you and a couple of your RINO buddies can camp out and get him some badly-needed publicity.

I will go out on a limb and predict it’s doubtful he will outsell Palin.

bw222 on March 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Bishop on March 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Those numbers must be wrong. The government should get involved in that. /s

ROCnPhilly on March 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Seeing Obama being eviscerated by Baier must have caused a lot of strange tingles for Tweety.

JammieWearingFool on March 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM

“I’d have gotten 10 viewers if it hadn’t have been for those meddling kids and their dog.” -Chris Matthews

jimmy2shoes on March 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Chris “tingle up the leg” who? Oh I never watch that network…..

meh!

Vntnrse on March 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I detest these three doucheb@gs, Walsh probably most of all, and if you knew how much I detest Chrissy, well that would really be saying something.

Dopenstrange on March 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM

First of all – nice “debate” there Tingles with your two lefties!

Secondly, Obama could barely get a full sentence in????? Matthews didn’t even watch it, if he says there might be another version of the interview out there. Yeah, like the REAL interview. Oh GAWD, and Joan!

“That character?”

I can’t take it. They are such IDIOTS! grrrr

Word count from Transcript (including name headers)

Bret Baier – 888

Obama – 2730

I think Obama got a sentence or two in there….

sarainitaly on March 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Bishop on March 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Wow, they are heading towards the bottom quickly. The White House would be better served to have Obama be interviewed by Dora the Explorer than Chris Matthews.

sherry on March 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM

What is the point of an interview if all it becomes is a soapbox monologue of talking-points by the person being interviewed? If the viewer is going to learn anything in the exchange, there had better be pointed questions, follow-up questions, and an insistence on clarification, An interview should be a dialogue.

onlineanalyst on March 18, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Speaking of transparency, I should acknowledge that I personally hope healthcare reform passes. A night in the ER at a Baltimore City hospital Monday made a believer out of me.

David Zurawik is an idiot of monumental magnitude. Hope he doesn’t have to visit this hospital in a few years.

katy on March 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM

That is how an interview should be done. Interrupt until the question is answered.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Chrissy is upset cuz his best girl got b*tch-slapped by a real man.

fogw on March 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Okay. Baier did a good job with Obama. All reporters should ask somewhat confrontational questions when interviewing a president. But when Baier interviewed Bush a couple of years ago, he lobbed deferential softball after softball (I suspect The Daily Show will pick up on that). That’s Fox News for ya’.

YYZ on March 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM

The Matthews Presidential interview:

Chris: I still feel the tingle you worshipness

Barry: Maybe I should numb you “down there”

Chris: That may help

Barry: Numb, numb numb….

KZnextzone on March 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I think we aren’t listening to the Dems.

ObamaCare is only the beginning.

Now that they are united, they are going to pass lots of leftist bills.

faraway on March 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Right YYZ, terrific observation.

And Brokaw, Rather, Jennings, Williams, Couric, Sawyer, Blitzer, Lauer, Croft, Matthews, Olbermann, Gregory, Russert and Stephanopoulus never lobbed a softball at Obama.

LOL.

fogw on March 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM

And I was defending those people where, exactly?

YYZ on March 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM

fogw on March 18, 2010 at 10:34 PM

All of them excluding Jennings, he was gone before Barackbar came on the scene.

thomasaur on March 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM

So, the nicest journalist in town interviews the “most powerful man in world” and asks him some tough questions, and the WH and Obama sycophants cry and complain because Bret was “rude” to Obama? Poor Bambi, he was interrupted! How dare Bret be so mean to him!

He should know better and just allow the POTUS to blather on for 15 minutes, repeating the same old tired untrue talking points that we have been hearing for 14 months. How dare he actually try to get some honest answers out of Obama!

Do you think Tingles called Obama up afterwards and asked if he could “hold him”?

sarainitaly on March 18, 2010 at 10:36 PM

WUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA….!

Boy, now this is certainly ironic!

Dick Turpin on March 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM

You detestable piece of Alinsky pig sh*&! You, who interrupt opposing opinions on a regular basis, you, who can’t utter a word without spitting, are one of the worst examples of journalism(?) in history! Just shut the hell up.

hopefloats on March 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM

YYZ,

Who said you were defending them?

fogw on March 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM

YYZ,

Who said you were defending them?

fogw on March 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM

You beat me too it.

Appears XYZ is sensitive tonight. Must be a Hoya Fan.

CWforFreedom on March 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Chris Matthews, Obama granted an interview to FOX because he clearly wanted as many people to watch him at the most important point in his political career. That’s what FOX offers him.

With this video embedded here, your show just doubled in viewership.

congratulations.

JohnGalt23 on March 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Chris Matthews is so unintentionally meta.

darii on March 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM

About…what? :)

Diane on March 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I’m sorry, uh, Christ who?

Brett Baier is the nicest guy in Washington, but his meek attitude is the exemplary kind, “wise as a serpent, harmless as a dove.”

His disarming genuineness must’ve looked to Obama’s handlers like a slam-dunk for the Won.

Good interview. Yeah. That’ll leave a mark.

Joan of Argghh on March 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Oh, crap! CHRIS who?

Preview. What a concept.

Joan of Argghh on March 18, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Obama is an elected official. He does not own the air we breath.

Baier’s insistence to answers to the public’s questions is a role model that the rest of the media should aspire to.

pedestrian on March 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Sue on March 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Great point! Reminds me of when Quayle debated Gore in ’92. Old Danny boy beat Al’s behind that night. How do I remember? Scarcely a mention of the debate the next day in the MSM. Well, that and Admiral Stockdale was unintentionally funny in that debate, God rest his soul.

NebCon on March 18, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Don’t forget if you’ve got an idea “I’m all ears”…
BTDT

KZnextzone on March 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Well, just maybe he may have cut him off a little too much, however; given the “historic” circumstances of the last 14 months I believe it was warranted…Lets go over it shall we?

1. FOX is not a reliable news station
2. Fox was not allowed in, and then they were..
3. I am not talking to FOX… evah
4. Those people waving their tea bags
5. Astroturfffff (complete with spittle)
6. Glenn Beck is a liar
7. Glenn Becks audience is stoopid…

Based on just that little bit…. Bret should have punched him in the face… both sides…. you know.. fair and balanced.

shar61 on March 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Sorry Brett,I should have spelled Brett correctly above.

shar61 on March 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Besides,, what in God’s good name does Chris Matthews know about respecting a president?…

shar61 on March 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Mathews interrupts every time someone answers his question. Bret only tried to get Obama not to go off course.

TheSitRep on March 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM

The American people put that character in the oval office.

shick on March 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I think it was on Hannity today where Bret said a few minutes into the interview he realized Obama was going to take the ball and keep it hence, his need to interrupt. That sounds valid to me Chrissy otherwise it’s called a monologue or filibuster, not an interview.

diogenes on March 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Matthews is just ticked that Mr. Affirmative Action got grilled on TV.

Good going, Baier. But I wish you’d have asked him what they hell his getting stiffed on a rear-end collision to his beater 25 years ago because he didn’t have collision insurance has anything to do with health insurance. Is that the race to the bottom he was whining about?

Sorry, O, you don’t need to know how to perform transplant surgery or to run a hedge fund to figure out some of life’s adult responsibilities.

BuckeyeSam on March 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Without HotAir we would never know Matthews is on TV ?

borntoraisehogs on March 18, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I watched about ten seconds of this, Matthews said that it was hard for Obama to “get in a sentence… at least a full one”. I’m not sure why I’m even venting about this, because honesty and integrity is lost on people like this, but our Marxist in Chief granted 15 minutes and his “sentences”, Chrissy, were 5 minutes monologues and all they were is repetition of the same lies and platitudes we’ve all heard. Accusations that a no vote is a “vote for the status quo”, etc. Although Bret made him look like the POS he is, he still really never did answer anything. I’d much rather have seen him answer of Andy Stern being at the White House every day, all of his single-payer/universal comments that have been revealed over the past year and just this week, why in the hell he ever hired Van Jones when they clearly vetted him, etc. etc.

I don’t fault Bret for not asking those things, because this was an Obamacare interview… but will no one ever have the balls to nail him down on this? Are we going to sit back and have so much “respect for the office” that we won’t demand answers from someone who so obviously hates everything about the country he holds the highest office of, and his attempting to rule?

BTW, I am so f-ing sick of hearing about the CBO today. Look, we all know it’s BS and an “estimate”, but how about if we actually considered the numbers solid and in stone… Okay, so we save $150 billion over the next 10 years? We’re spending trillions each year, and we have $107 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities. Obama pushes trillion dollar bills like I take craps, and we’re supposed to care about $150 billion over 10 years? Wow, $15 billion/year!… While we’re spending a couple Trill’ each year? Oh, but wait they’ll say… we’ll save a whole $1 Trillion in years 11-20. So $100 billion/year? Again, that is a fraction of a fraction of what we owe and continue to spend.

Why did I not hear this point even on Fox today? Beck, help a brother out. Not that these numbers are realistic or will ever be stuck to (especially when we know this is all just a stepping stone to economic collapse), but even if we pretend they are… they’re insignificant. People need to know this. I submit that the vast majority of the country are busy people not following close enough to really know what’s going on and they’ll hear these Democrats touting these numbers and they’ll say “well, maybe it’s not so bad”. So sad.

RightWinged on March 18, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I love how Matthews casually says “I’m sure there’s other versions of that interview on the web.”

You mean like versions that don’t snip together 30 seconds of very brief interruptions of Obama’s unending soliloquies?

RINO in Name Only on March 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

RINO in Name Only on March 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Eleventy++11+!1

Ugly on March 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Matthews holds two journalistic distinctions, IMO:
1)He’s the only talking head that can ACTUALLY interrupt hisownself.
2)His voice is synonymous with fingernails on a blackboard.

Both of these plaudits should translate to high ratings, no? No? Throw in the lefty slant, leggy-tingly, no law against calling Al Queda… Still, “No” you say??? Wow, y’all are one tough crowd!
Just sayin!

Chewy the Lab on March 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Objectivity and shrews are indignant.

Schadenfreude on March 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Matthews: “I would wonder who brought that character into the Oval Office?”

A: Ignorant, foolish voters brought that character, Barack Obama, into the Oval Office.

scotash on March 19, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Inside their OODA loop. Crash and burn time. Poof!

Caststeel on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 AM

A classic case of video cherry-picking. Watch the entire interview, then you’ll understand why he interrupted Obama – the continuous rambling on and on in an attempt to answer the questions. He tried to talk longer to reduce the number of questions that Bret could ask in the short interview.
The best question? If this health care bill is such a good thing, a) why don’t the polls indicate this, and b)why has there been so much difficulty in getting it passed in the House?
Someday these a$$clowns will realize that Fox News is #1 for a reason, but I doubt it.

RMCS_USN on March 19, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Chris and his lefty ladies are also wrong about how many nuns support the bill.

The Truth

Jasper61 on March 19, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Lol! That was the funniest headline so far in 2010!

Also, I’m listening to some Arch Enemy with the headphones on, so I played that clip with the sound down just to see who the guests were and I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at the sight of Joan Walsh and Cynthia Tucker’s faces when the camera cut to them. They both looked like they were just munching on a turd. lol
See for yourselves, I screen grabbed it.

OxyCon on March 19, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Chris Matthews: How Low Are my Rattings
Guest: Well Chri…..
Chris Matthews: They cant be all that low I really want to know wht you think
Guest: Chri…
Chris Matthews: Come on now you can tell me I really want to know
Guest: I would like to chri….
Chris Matthews: If you cant answer the question then I guess they must be really good huh,
Guest: Chris your ratting are…
Chris Matthews: Well thank you for that uplifting report we’re out of time tune in next week when my guest will be somebody who agrees with me.

Gwillie on March 19, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Chris’ last 5 viewers just became FOX viewers after watching his interview.

yoda on March 19, 2010 at 4:08 AM

I’m sorry, uh, Chris who?

Good interview. Yeah. That’ll leave a mark.

Joan of Argghh on March 18, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Yes, I’m sure the handlers saw it that way. Baier told Brian Kilmead he was “uncomfortable” having to act that way, but Obama started filibustering talking points from the first question, and considering Baier had been allotted only 15 minutes, he decided if he didn’t get tough, he was “gonna get rolled.”

Baier also told Kilmead that Obama was fine on the “walk and talk” after the interview, not angry or resentful. To me, that indicates either A) that O can never admit to himself that’s he’s come off badly; or B) he really is a mindless pre-programmed robot.

Maybe a mixture of both, with some select pharmaceutical cocktails added.

Nichevo on March 19, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Obama: 4,000 words. Baier: 30 words. Yes – Baier interrupted to get a word in edgwise.

afotia on March 19, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Well at least Bret didn’t call the president out on his blatant lies.

tarpon on March 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM

A slick salesman comes into your home talking smoothly, clearly eyeing your duaghter with intent to violate her and steal everything in the house before he burns it down. (You know these sales types from Washington)

You, in response, do:

A. offer him a beer (summit style)
B. Fawn over his marvelous speaking ability
C. Throw the bum out and call your Neighbors to warn them anout him.

Don L on March 19, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Well at least Bret didn’t call the president out on his blatant lies.

tarpon on March 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM

He came close enough. Did you see how irritated the filthy lying coward was with the questions he was asked? He was expecting the usual Larry King/Chris Matthews/Diane Sawyer kinds of questions but he got real questions which he couldn’t answer.

highhopes on March 19, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Just keep in mind there is probably a Daffy Duck or Stars Wars-type animated show on the Cartoon Network that gets a larger audience than Chris Matthews.

If it wasn`t for Hot Air watching the show and posting clips, who would know that the show exists????

albill on March 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM

albill on March 19, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Chris Matthews is to real news what Tiger Woods is to family values.

highhopes on March 19, 2010 at 7:48 AM

Junior jihadi journalists like Matthews are just sore because Brett makes them all look bad by comparison.

RandyChandler on March 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM

scullymj on March 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

So. . . Matthews agrees with Tucker that FOX is propaganda and not news. This from a guy who said he would make it his business that Obama succeeds as president. Matthews has no credibility as demonstrated by his ratings. He’s become such a cartoon he should be on the Cartoon Network. – scullymj on March 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I totally agree.

SC.Charlie on March 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Sherry at 9:59. I have just the right prescription for sissy chrissie. A large caliber brain implant sounds about perfect.

nukeemnow on March 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I don’t want to be surly but Chris Matthews is a douchebag. I guess he’s way too busy jerking it to Obama than thinking critically.

Cr4sh Dummy on March 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM