Video: GE, Reagan Foundation plan centennial celebration events

posted at 2:20 pm on March 17, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Here’s a feel-good palate cleanser for a day in which the government takeover of American health care draws ever nearer. Ronald Reagan would never have stood for it, of course, having a deep mistrust of statist solutions that trump individual choice and action. That makes today a good day for GE and the Reagan Foundation to launch their partnership for the Reagan centennial, which will result in a number of events over the next year:

GE’s participation as Presenting Sponsor of the Ronald Reagan Centennial Celebration includes:

• $10 Million in the form of cash, advertising and promotion to support the Ronald Reagan Centennial Celebration, including funds to support the completely transformed, state-of-the-art Museum at the Reagan Library that will be unveiled on February 5, 2011. This will include a new General Electric Theater that will focus on Reagan’s career in radio, television, and film.
  • An additional $5 million to the Reagan Presidential Foundation to launch and support the GE-Reagan Scholars Program, an effort that will begin in 2011 and that will provide 200 four-year college scholarships over the next decade to deserving students who embody the vision and values personified by President Reagan.
  • A donation to the Reagan Foundation of 208 restored episodes of General Electric Theater in which Ronald Reagan hosted or appeared from 1954-1962. The episodes, many of which were thought to be lost and some of which were damaged, were recently uncovered in GE/NBC Universal archives and restored to broadcast quality for purposes of the renovated Reagan Museum.
  • An ad campaign and interactive Internet presence located at www.ge.com/reagan to promote the Centennial and honor President Reagan’s service to our nation and time with GE. TV, radio and print advertisements in support of the Centennial that will remind audiences of Reagan’s optimistic spirit as well as his legacy at both GE and as President can be found on this site.
  • A series of public affairs lectures with Reagan-era luminaries that will focus on President Reagan’s legacy and qualities as a leader. The events will take place at venues around the country with details to be announced in the coming months.

St. Patrick’s Day is a fitting moment to announce the new project. I’ll be talking about this today with representatives from GE and the Reagan Library today in bonus minutes on TEMS. Don’t miss it!

Comments

Well,the tide is turning!!

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM

what a class act

thanks Ed!

cmsinaz on March 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Gee, they are frauds!

RobCon on March 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Comrade Zero will be too busy bowing to some Third World tyrant to attend.

Cicero43 on March 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Wait… wha? GE? Owner of MSNBC? Is promoting Reagan?

Is that why their stock is going up?

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Curious, does GE do this begrudgingly? Poor Olby won’t be too happy with this.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Here’s audio of Reagan on socialized medicine. How far we’ve fallen.

amerpundit on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

GE is the company that sniffs Obama’s jock daily.

They filter their idiotic enviro-wacko and leftist message into every show on their networks, the very definition of propaganda.

These GE fools aren’t fit to lick Reagan’s boots.

KingGold on March 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Wait… wha? GE? Owner of MSNBC? Is promoting Reagan?

Is that why their stock is going up?

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Skywise: A new Paradigm Shift!!

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

And we now approve of GE?

Firefly_76 on March 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

“Join us at the Acme Auditorium tonight, where Markos Moulitsas will explain why the 40th President would support more regulation, socialized health care, and a weak foreign policy.”

amerpundit on March 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I heard their radio ad and I about fell out of my chair. GE is pushing this global marxism crap more than any one else on earth and they are “honoring” Reagan?

MobileVideoEngineer on March 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM

“The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.” – Ronald Reagan

“Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the United States was too strong.” – Ronald Reagan

RBMN on March 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Has Jeffery Immelt had a change of heart or am I just to skeptical? BOR has stated GE was no longer trading with Iran and now GE is promoting the greatest president in my lifetime.

fourdeucer on March 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Is that why their stock is going up?

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

No it’s going up because speculators are anticipating the passage of Obamacare.

thomasaur on March 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

No it’s going up because speculators are anticipating the passage of Obamacare.

thomasaur on March 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

But I don’t think GE gets any benefits out of that… AFAIK they sell medical equipment which will get taxed more heavily. Do they have an insurance arm? I expected GE to get a big jump from the “green initiatives” that El Presidente was promising.

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM

GE a propaganda outlet for the WH is sponsoring lectures to re-write history. They will try to dovetail Obama’s life into qualities that RR possessed.

thomasaur on March 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM

OT……….

Listening to Bernie Goldberg talking with Meghan Kelley.

He say’s………..If Obama had the votes, he would not be doing an interview on Fox

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Knucklehead on March 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Heres a clip,of Reagan doing some schooling!!
==============================================

Ronald Reagan at Yale Saint Anthony Hall 1967

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM

That part is a given but GE is going to benefit from the HC mess, bank on it.

thomasaur on March 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM

GE, 80% owner of NBC, huge green jobs and cap and trade proponent and heavily allied with Obama are now coming out to celebrate Reagan.

C’mon, don’t fall for this eyewash. By attaching their name to Reagan they hope to use divide and conquer tactics on Reagan conservatives when they take out ads or promote Obama’s “green” agenda. Please don’t fall for it.

technopeasant on March 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Here’s audio of Reagan on socialized medicine. How far we’ve fallen.

amerpundit on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I can’t bear to listen to it now. I’ve heard it before, of course. I could just cry thinking about it.

Oink on March 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM

fourdeucer on March 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM

If so, it’s only a response to the bad publicity that they have received.

I personally cannot support GE. Not after their monumental efforts to help elect this monumental fraud, Barack hussein Obama. I won’t buy anything GE, whether it’s a $700 washing machine or a 79 cent light bulb.

They can kiss my @$$

UltimateBob on March 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

God I truly miss that man.

bernzright777 on March 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

GE’s stock is up because there is speculation that the company is going to raise its dividend, after cutting it 50% last year.

Old Fritz on March 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Ed, I think you only need to say “today” once per sentence. ;-)

UltimateBob on March 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I personally cannot support GE.
UltimateBob on March 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Neither will I, between the love affair with the enviromental wackos, the ownership of NBC/MSNBC and there just recently halted trade with Iran.

They can kiss my @$$

fourdeucer on March 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

But current GE does not embrace the idea behind Reagan’s speeches.

Sir Napsalot on March 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Yuck! GE trying to hide its dirt behind Ronald Reagan. That’s some sick stuff.

On a side note, I heard a GE commercial for electronic medical records for the first time last month. How handy is it for them that the Obama’s pet Congress has commanded that every citizen’s record will be electronic for Comparative Effectiveness Research by 2014?

Disgusting.

Murf76 on March 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

GE Sucks!

I don’t understand why there isn’t a huge movement to boycott them. We should boycott GM as well.

hisfrogness on March 17, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Disgusting.

Murf76 on March 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

This isn’t an aside. They plan to profit big from the electronic medical records requirements, the fix is in for the government contracts.

Aviator on March 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Poor Olby won’t be too happy with this.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM

But will he have the cajones to name his employer “Worst person in the world?”

Kafir on March 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM

GE got my grandparents through the Depression.

It saddens me to see the company that was once so highly thought of in my house support Obama and the green agenda. Personally, I blame Immelt and GE Money Bank for most of the problems.

John Deaux on March 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Murf76 on March 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Pretty much.

They’ve also been touting how much they ‘love and respect’ [and hire] veterans as well.

The CEO of GE and Obozo are as thick as thieves.

As noted above, they’re hiding their relationship with the WH behind cardboard cut-outs of conservative icons.

Immelt is a vile little opportunistic worm.

BTW – I refuse to buy GE products, and now I have even more of a reason to maintain that viewpoint.

FU*K GE!

CPT. Charles on March 17, 2010 at 3:20 PM

America exceptional-ism, what we stand to lose when we follow the Euro collectivist path.

Speakup on March 17, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It would be funny if GE passed down the edict to mark the Reagan Centennial in the same way they’ve forced their networks to mark “Green Week” the past two years. The hosts of MSNBC’s 7-10 p.m. weeknight lineup would be in need of GE’s medical equipment by the time it was over (though they show host in the middle might simply make due with a low-tech straitjacket…)

jon1979 on March 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Wow! Is this like the true definition of irony?

conservnut on March 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM

technopeasant on March 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM

You’re behind the news lately! Do you know Comcast now owns majority stake in NBC/Universal – not GE?

newton on March 17, 2010 at 4:01 PM

The idea of Celebrating Ronaldus Maximus’ centennial made me feel good.

The bright spot of the day!

juanito on March 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM

GE’s past is in the past, they are now a traitorous firm run by the far left, no where near what they used to be when Reagan was spokesman. I would stay far away from them, then again, liberals will find away to take over even the Reagan Foundation. They take over everything and pervert it.

Daemonocracy on March 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I never buy GE products.

Daemonocracy on March 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Gee, they are frauds!

RobCon on March 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Yea, they are all global warming, use the force of government to force us to buy their products.

Reagan would be ashamed of the way they went…

Tim Burton on March 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM

GE is only involved because of how much footage their media divisions have in their vaults.

Immelt is holding his nose for this one.

PastorJon on March 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I get so upset watching Reagan, he truly BELIEVED in the United States. He made people BELIEVE in their country.

What HAPPENED??
When did everyone stop believing??

Ingenue on March 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM

You are all assuming that GE won’t paint him as an equivalent-to-today’s liberals. That’s not a bet I’d be willing to make.

andycanuck on March 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM

theotherone on March 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I saw GE’s Reagan add today, I am searching for Immhelts angle on this. Did he realize the image he has created of GE is killing them, so he resorts to the lefts stratgy of lie??

this pig does not smell so good. something is up.

allrsn on March 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I am so sick of corporate America selling out for another quick buck. This year I stopped buying products from GE. They won’t see another dollar from me.

Free Indeed on March 17, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I wanted to post a rebuke on GE and NBC for using a zombie RR as a spokesman, but then (I have not owned a television for better than 15 yrs) I looked at the NBC lineup – Leno (reincarnate)??, Law and Order??, Cleb Apprentice??, Parenthood??

Damn – kinda like kicking a polio kid or teasing Forrest. Does not cost me but do I win?

fargo_pete on March 18, 2010 at 12:53 AM