New French game show: Who wants to shock someone into unconsciousness?

posted at 9:47 pm on March 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

If you’ve heard of the Milgram experiment, you can guess where this is going. If you haven’t heard of the Milgram experiment, you’re about to learn something that you’d really rather not know.

In Japan, of course, this would be a real game and not a simulation.

Milgram found that 62.5% of his subjects could be encouraged, browbeaten or intimidated into seeing the test through to its conclusion by delivering scores of shocks of increasing intensity to the maximum of 450 volts. In Game of Death, 81% of contestants went all the way by administering more than 20 shocks up to a maximum of 460 volts. Only 16 of the 80 subjects recruited for the fake game show refused the verbal prodding from the host – and pressure from the audience to keep dishing out the torture like a good sport – though most expressed misgivings or tried to pull out before being convinced otherwise…

“For the past 10 years, most commercial channels have used humiliation, violence and cruelty to create increasingly extreme programs,” Nick says in one of his voice-overs. “[Future] television can – without possible opposition – organize the death of a person as entertainment, and eight out of 10 people will submit to that.”

Says one media critic, “The Milgram experiment showed that people will submit to authority no matter what its form: military, political, medical, a boss – or now a television host.” The original experiment is almost 50 years old, which led some to wonder if the results were an artifact of their time or whether this response is more constant in human psychology. That question was answered last year in a lab setting, but evidently having a TV camera stuck in your face while you turn the dial up doesn’t do much to change the result.

Comments

freaky deaky

BKeyser on March 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

What I always wondered about Milgram is how many people, when presented with the opportunity of participating in the experiment, refused to have anything to do with it in the first place?

The people who did were presumably inclined to to the experiment, so he had a self-selected group of already biased participants.

Wethal on March 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

True story: The guy in the torture chamber only agreed to go in there in exchange for not having to hear the latest Obama health care speech.

amerpundit on March 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Obama can play, can’t he? It’s just a game, right?

andy85719 on March 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Wethal on March 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

You make an empirical assertion based on a self-described presumption. That’s tidy.

The Race Card on March 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Hey it has a camera and an audience, it won’t be long before Obama shows up to lie about healthcare and we have an evenings worth of amusement.

elduende on March 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM

OT: Biden is bombing horribly at the Radio & TV Correspondents dinner.

Enoxo on March 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Probably threatened the shocker with having to work a 32 hour week.

Bishop on March 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM

And as any honest Lefty will tell you, The French are the true “Progressives”.

Funny how in a Liberals mind torture for life saving info is wrong but for prizes? Sign me up!

Guardian on March 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM

OT: Biden is bombing horribly at the Radio & TV Correspondents dinner.

Enoxo on March 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM

And slamming Fox, Dick Morris and now Sarah Palin. What a tool.

Knucklehead on March 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Is anybody else thinking of the film The Running Man?

Cookies Mom on March 17, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Sign zee payper old man….

CynicalOptimist on March 17, 2010 at 10:04 PM

How can one tell?

OldEnglish on March 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM

OT Has anyone noticed that Mitt Romney’s new book which was #1 on the NY Times Best Seller List last Sunday (snicker) has already dropped out of the top 100 best sellers at amazon.com. It’s currently at #113. Poor crowds on the book tour, not able to fill a 4,400 seat venue in Salt Lake City. Things aren’t looking good for your boy Allah.

bw222 on March 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM

bw222 on March 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Romney’s book never broke top 25 on Amazon, and was stuck below top 200 at Barnes and Nobles.

Which is why NYT has two daggers on his listing.

Enoxo on March 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Whew…at least it’s not waterboarding, you know?

Diane on March 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM

As a one-time poli sci major, I’m familiar with Milgram and have seen films taking during his experiment.

Some of the most chilling words I’ve heard come from the ‘doctor’ urging on the participant:

“The experiment requires that you continue.”

Vatican Watcher on March 17, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I would have no problems doing this to some people like _________ and ________ and ________. I dare say it would give me pleasure to do so.

I deem myself mainstream.

SouthernGent on March 17, 2010 at 10:21 PM

AllahPundit…the French will make a man out of you yet!!!
;)

FontanaConservative on March 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM

OT – South Park is dealing with the issue of Sex Addiction. Allah, this needs it’s own thread.

joejm65 on March 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Random thought: Dana Perino looks really good in hot pink.

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Now the guy in the chair knows what it feels like to be a conservative in America right now.

LibTired on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Seems like a perfectly ordered thought to me.

LibTired on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Torturer des citoyens stupides sur un spectacle de jeu.

/// OOohhhh. I almost feel as if I’m actually invited to the White House!

/Stewie Griffin

Key West Reader on March 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM

As if most of you wouldn’t do the same…how do I know?
You have sat through Pelosi speeches…you have looked at her picture…

right2bright on March 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Seems like a perfectly ordered thought to me.

LibTired on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The more I see of her she’s the brightest remnant of the Bush administration. Maybe that’s just the caveman in me speaking. I went to HS with Ari Fleischer (a couple years ahead of me) and I respect the guy, but Dana really does it for me. She definitely makes me forget the little puke who came between the two.

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I don’t really buy it, because I don’t think that you’re really measuring responsiveness to ‘authority’ here as much as the strong belief that the setting itself is designed to be safe. IOW, you can’t prevent people from carrying in a strong presumption that anything that goes on in the ‘show’ or the ‘experiment’ is non-lethal…indeed, isn’t ‘really’ that harmful to begin with. Is that really, then, testing whether I will submit to authority…or testing my assumption that the setting is safe? If you put me on a ‘game show’ and told me I was delivering lethal shocks…I simply wouldn’t believe you. I’d believe this was part of the game. Which means the ‘experiment’ isn’t testing what Milgram (and these French researchers) claim it is. D.GOOCH

DGOOCH on March 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM

It’s Bush’s fault!

Bruno Strozek on March 17, 2010 at 10:54 PM

The results are skewed; the french have no soul.

- The Cat

MirCat on March 17, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Married With Children was ahead of the curve on this one.

reaganaut on March 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM

So this is where Pelosi takes the NO votes.

John on March 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM

JammieWearingFool on March 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM

You’re not kidding. Dana Perino was amazing at her job. All class and grace, and smart as a whip.

LibTired on March 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Is this supposed to repulse a nation that created NASCAR?

Chris_Balsz on March 18, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Duh! They’re French!

Eff Cliffy on March 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM

FYI…

It’s been on TV before, as a drama starring William Shatner: The Tenth Level.

electric-rascal on March 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM

My last post on this (I promise!) – if you what the Shatner “The Tenth Level” on DVD (a copy of a VHS tape), try here.

electric-rascal on March 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM

I vaguely remember a comedy skit where an experimenter was putting a self-absorbed slacker through a copy of the Milgram experiment. In it, the experimenter just started the explanation and the slacker hit the button. While the tester, shocked, starts to say, “I hadn’t finished explaining it to you, the danger levels, the pain threshold….”, the kid starts hitting the button again and again, faster and faster, like a playstation.

cthulhu on March 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM

If one desires disobedience, it seems one must teach disobedience.

Kralizec on March 18, 2010 at 3:49 AM

National Guardsman after Katrina, interviewed during unconstitutional door-to-door firearms confiscation:

“I really hope I don’t have to shoot Americans”.

It’s OK son, remember to say I was just following orders

rhodeymark on March 18, 2010 at 6:24 AM

The French do what they’re told. Viv la libertad.

Squiggy on March 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM

DGOOCH on March 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM

It is still passing the responsibility off to a ‘higher’ authority. In this case it it a trust in the producers’ legal staff and the set designer, instead of the authority of the experimenter.

Nathan_OH on March 18, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Watched the AC359 segment last nite .. got the feeling AC couldn’t recognize himself — just kept pushing the buttons…

CaveatEmpty on March 18, 2010 at 7:43 AM

All it would take is pictures of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton naked and without makeup to shock the average male into unconsciousness and could possibly cause permanent blindness and impotetence.

TrickyDick on March 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Modern technology meets Roman coliseum.

We’re really advancing. Aren’t we?

BowHuntingTexas on March 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM

cthulhu on March 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM

There was an early Simpsons episode like that…Dr. Marvin Monroe wires all the family up and then starts to explain how they build trust by refraining from shocking each other–then the Simpsons use so much power that Springfield has brownouts

Chris_Balsz on March 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Where’s crr6 to tell us how a gigantic federal government that only wants to love and comfort us will never do anything nasty to its citizens?

This is why it can happen, right here.

TheUnrepentantGeek on March 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Don’t confuse celebrity with electability. Someone like Micheal Jackson or Brittany spears could draw a bigger crowd and sell more book than Palin. But who would put them in office?

Meanwhile here is a Florida Poll
* Mitt Romney 52%
* Mike Huckabee 21%
* Sarah Palin 18%

hanzblinx on March 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Nathan_OH on March 18, 2010 at 7:41 AM

——————
Right. But that’s still not testing what Milgram thought he was testing: people’s willingness to *submit* to authority when they *know* that that authority is going to do awful things. In this case…they don’t believe the authority is doing awful things. They believe it is all a game.

That’s quite a bit different than allowing Nazi’s to remove Jews from your home and take them off to gas chambers. D.GOOCH

DGOOCH on March 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM