Deem and pass shows “lack of confidence,” “demeaning of democracy”

posted at 10:12 am on March 17, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats have pulled out their tu quoques in response to Republican criticism of the “deem and pass” strategy proposed by Louise Slaughter.  Still, this particular criticism cuts pretty close to the heart of the matter.  See if you can guess which Republican blasted the Slaughter Rule for its political cowardice, emphases mine:

Not content with the denying the Minority to offer amendments and substitutes, the Majority has even refused to permit [the Minority} the chance to vote on the Majority's own bills. That is precisely what happened on June 12. This being the 23rd, that was 13 days ago. When the [Majority] leadership reported a self-executing rule providing for the adoption of the $82 billion plan over 10 years and an almost trillion-dollar plan over 20 years, accelerating the increased child tax credit for low-income people families, we didn’t even get an opportunity to vote on the bill itself except by reference in a self-executing rule. What kind of lack of confidence does that display? What kind of process in pursuit of effectiveness does that mean that we are adopting? What kind of demeaning of democracy is the objective of efficiency resulting in? I would remiss to fail to note that barely 1 hour later, the House passed on a bipartisan vote — you talk about bipartisan votes — a nonbinding motion to instruct the conferees to accept the substantially more responsible Senate version of that bill, doing exactly the opposite of what a half an hour the House had voted on. Why? Because it had no full debate, and it was very ambivalent, and we knew the House was ambivalent, and you knew the House was ambivalent, and you were afraid, fearful that 12 or 15 [Majority members], if allowed to vote on the substance as opposed to voting procedurally on a rule where party loyalty is so important, you were afraid to put the substance to the test of democracy, fearful that you would lose 12 to 15, and we would prevail in our position.

Did Mitch McConnell say this?  John Boehner?  No, sorry, it was a trick question.  Steny Hoyer offered this scathing criticism –  in 2003.  That’s the same Steny Hoyer who just this week said about “deem and pass”:

“It is consistent with the rules,” Mr. Hoyer said. “It is consistent with former practice.”

All right, maybe that one was too hard.  I’ll offer this as a substitute.  Who said this about passing the Senate bill?

Now don’t get me wrong; the current House and Senate bills are a significant improvement over the status quo. Given the hard path to reform and the political realities of next year, there is a sizable group within Congress that wants to simply cut any deal that works and call it a success. Many previous efforts have failed, and the path to reform is littered with unsuccessful efforts championed by Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry Truman and Bill Clinton.

Supporters of the weak Senate bill say “just pass it — any bill is better than no bill.”

I strongly disagree — a conference report is unlikely to sufficiently bridge the gap between these two very different bills.

It’s time that we draw the line on this weak bill and ask the Senate to go back to the drawing board. The American people deserve at least that.

That advice to slaughter the Senate bill that Louise Slaughter now proposes to pass without a vote came from … Louise Slaughter.  Unlike Hoyer, Slaughter didn’t issue this statement seven years ago, but less than three months ago.  When it comes to hypocrisy, Hoyer’s got nothing on Slaughter.

Update: Verum Serum catches Hoyer ranting about this on the floor of the House in 2003.

Comments

Kucinich caves while giving rambling speech.

andy85719 on March 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Democrat hypocrisy…

If I only had a nickel…

uknowmorethanme on March 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Deem and pass or demon pass

In other words a one-way free ticket to hell.

katy on March 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM

So, what were the 30 pieces of silver that Obama gave Kucinich?

Khun Joe on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Obligatory St. Patrick inspired music video from an Irish Latvian American band.

Seems like good back ground music for the coming Obamacare fix job that is going to be forced on us.

Mr. Joe on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Democrat hypocrisy…

If I only had a nickel…

uknowmorethanme on March 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

We could actually afford Socialism?

Holger on March 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Wouldn’t a protection from our government “passing” laws without voting on them be an actual fundamental civil right?

forest on March 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM

My rep is Lincoln Davis (TN-D) and I can’t get through to him, he is one “undecided” (yes, I know what that means), but I will make it my mission to make his re-election hell if he votes for this fetid pile of pus bill.

hip shot on March 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM

That Slaughter quote should be on TV 27/7, especially during MSM newscasts to show their blatant hypocrisy on all this.

mgman on March 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM

So, what were the 30 pieces of silver that Obama gave Kucinich?

Khun Joe on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

An up close look at Michelle’s arms on AF1?

hip shot on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Dennis Kucinich flipped even though he stated that there is nothing in this bill that he wants he is still going to vote in favor of it. Exit question: Did he get a HJ on AF1 or was it a full on helmet wash?

milwife88 on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM

While I know hypocrisy of politicians should always be pointed out, does it really change anything? Sad as it may seem, I expect hypocrisy from politicians.

WashJeff on March 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM

DemonPass is a coup d’etat. Plain and simple. It is an illegal machination to pervert our government and seize power.

neurosculptor on March 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM

milwife88 on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM

From Obama himself?

MobileVideoEngineer on March 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

So, what were the 30 pieces of silver that Obama gave Kucinich?

Khun Joe on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Glenn Beck mentioned on his radio show that Obama promised to give Kucinich a tour of Area 51 and he gets to see the alien bodies.

Mark Boabaca on March 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Dems are counting on the entitlement effect (similar to drug addiction) to harvest longer term political advantages. However, with the entitlements not set to begin until 2014 and beyond, and taxes to start almost immediately, I think this is a flawed strategy. I believe the political damage continues through at least 2012. What do you think Hot Air posters?

mwbri on March 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I keep telling you guys… this vote isn’t and never was about health care.

This.
Is.
A.
Coup.

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM

milwife88 on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM

He was promised a “Massa Massage.”

rbj on March 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I wonder if Kuchinich met any aliens on his Air Force One ride, oh I know…..Obama promised to take him to Area 51….yeah that’s it….that’s what changed his vote….

PatriotRider on March 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Deem and pass or demon pass

In other words a one-way free ticket to hell.

katy on March 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM

As well as some Twitter hashtag fun (#DemonPass) (yes, I’m taking credit even though I wasn’t quite the first out of the gate).

steveegg on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM

The slow motion fall of the Republic. Obama et al are merely exposing the rotten timbers of our Republic. We either restore the foundation or realize it can only get worse and live with the consequences.

R Square on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I Deem Obama to be impeached.

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Anyone in or associated with the Democrat Party is a worthless, corrupt scumbag.

So this is completely in line with what those people are about.

I am continually amazed that anyone is surprised by what Democrat scum do on a daily basis. They are pieces of absolute rotten garbage, every last one of them. As are their staffers, secrataries, down to the people who empty the sputum buckets at the DNC each day.

NoDonkey on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

milwife88 on March 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Brain bleach please, stat!

What branch is he in? Sounds like something us sailors say.

rightside on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Obama the worst leader ever. I mean even Nero could play the violin.

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The updated CBO report was expected to come out yesterday.

Has CBO chief Doug Elmendorf been spotted boarding AF1 in the last 24 hours?

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

You can tell it’s a power grab when the motto becomes: pass a bill, any bill!

search4truth on March 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Oh this is good,as Hoyer stares into the political
mirror,and gaze`s and rants at himself!!!!!!

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Has CBO chief Doug Elmendorf been spotted boarding AF1 in the last 24 hours?

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Rumor has it he was supposed to go skydiving from AF1 and President Obama graciously volunteered to pack his chute.

Mark Boabaca on March 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM

rightside on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Husband is in the AF but I was raised by a Marine! It’s the best of both worlds.

milwife88 on March 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Obama the worst leader ever. I mean even Nero could play the violin.

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

inchdeep:Speaking of violins,:)
==================================

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I love the video clip. I’m reveling in the Democratic hypocrisy on this issue.

Full speed ahead!!!!!! Democrats are approaching ramming speed on the Obamacare train to wrecking America.

taney71 on March 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Obama the worst leader ever. I mean even Nero could play the violin.

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

inchdeep:Speaking of violins,:)
==================================

That’s no violin he just picked his nose and is just doing that cover his attempt at digging for gold.

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

steveegg on March 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Well that sucks! I don’t do twitter and I thought I was brilliant.

ppfffttt

katy on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

———————————-

inchdeep on March 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM

inchdeep: Haha,could be!:)

canopfor on March 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Bobo’s BJ are to die for. Those blue lips and tobacco breath enhance the pleasure. Obama cringed a little though when he saw Kucinich’s alien d….

andy85719 on March 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM

No doubt about it…we have the best politicians money can buy….

PatriotRider on March 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM

The democrats just can not help themselves. They view everything as a zero sum game;someone wins only when someone else loses. They have to ‘game the system’ because that is the only way they see the universe. True co-operation doesn’t exist in their universe. The same with charity.

Their entire approach to existence is gaining some advantage at the expense of someone else. That defines ‘winning the game’.

Skandia Recluse on March 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Let me hijack the thread if only to wish every one a happy St.Patricks Day !!

Nanzi Pelosi makes you want to drink from 5 am..

nagee76 on March 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Just more proof that Obama is an Affirmative Action president who can’t get things done without the bar being lowered and his bony azz carried across.

RedRedRice on March 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Mark Boabaca on March 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

No that can’t be it. One of the aliens survived and regularly appears on the Sunday political shows (Carville). So I think its something else.

On another note, I agree with NoDonkey about Dems, but the Repubs are as responsible for this Demon Pass as Dems are, and they are SHOCKED that it isn’t being used for its “intended” purpose?

I don’t always vote, but when I do, I prefer Republicans. Stay free my friends.

cartooner on March 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM

These demonrats are slimier than a loogie in a bucket of mucus.

GnuBreed on March 17, 2010 at 10:47 AM

So, what were the 30 pieces of silver that Obama gave Kucinich?

Khun Joe on March 17, 2010 at 10:18 AM

He had AF1 do a full dive to create weightlessness and told Krazy Kucinich that AF1 is REALLY a UFO.

csdeven on March 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM

The Hypocritical Party no longer cares how they are seen by others.

GarandFan on March 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Mark Boabaca on March 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Heh

csdeven on March 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Hey, maybe when most doctors quit, we can start importing doctors like in the UK who refuse to wash their hands above the wrists during surgeries for “religious” reasons; guess what religion. Now the US will trully be a consmuerism society, producing almost zilch, not even doctors, we will just sit, eat, shop and disappear.

immigrantchick on March 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I don’t always vote, but when I do, I prefer Republicans. Stay free my friends.
cartooner on March 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I call BS.

Republicans are responsible for this Demon Pass. Huh?

Why bother to point out you vote for Republicans? I smell a troll, who is not one of our friends.

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM

The Hypocritical Party no longer cares how they are seen by others.

GarandFan on March 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Very true. They are in full open coup mode, now.

neurosculptor on March 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Just checked out your website, so I’ll recant the troll accusation.

But why do you think GOP is just as responsible for Demon Pass?

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM

nagee76 on March 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Better drink up before Nurse Nanzi decides alcohol is bad for us (actually bad for Obamacare) and taxes beer at $10 a pop.

Home brewing will skyrocket at that point, at least until they pivot to tax that as well.

NoDonkey on March 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Explain to me again why they insist on being called, not the “Democrat” Party, but the Democratic Party. I have resolved to call them the Anything But Democratic Party. They’re called the DFL in Minnesota. The rest of us can call them the ABD (which appropriately sounds a lot like attention deficit disorder, but could also be shorthand for Another Budget Deficit).

Mark30339 on March 17, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Look Ed (may I call you Ed). You can wave your hands as frantically as you wish but you’re not going to get away with obscuring the fact that Republicans have used the “Deeming deed” in the past.

I hope that Obamacare dies an ugly death as much as the next guy. I voted for Sarah Palin (and not for John McCain). I’m a committed activist Conservative. If Republicans ever get both Houses of Congress, a veto-proof majority in the US Senate and the Presidency I will be first in line demanding that we remake America, in Conservative eyes.

But you just must stop and admit that Republican Congressional leaders have in the past been just as unprincipled as Democrats. Republicans have used Deeming.

You rant rightfully against Deeming. You should have been ranting against Deeming long ago … when Republicans used it.

pabarge on March 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM

As true as that might be one must keep in mind that we are dealing with corrupt democrats and a corrupt an Anti-American president and when push comes to shove they have no morals or principles.

You can drain a swamp but it takes Rid-X bacteria to eat fecal matter and clean a cesspool.

bluegrass on March 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Like watching sausage being made, I find the whole process, and its use by Dhimmicrats and Rethuglicans alike, whetehr present or past, to be distasteful, dishonest, and downright deviously dirty. I don’t care any more if it is some silly bill to rename a federal building or pass a resolution honoring some old Congressman or bureaucrat for some ungodly length of distinguished service, I want ALL of the bills to be voted on. I want roll call votes or no legislation. I despise these lazy asshats who think they don’t have to read the bills, and can take short cuts to enact laws by fiat that they don’t have to take credit for when they are unpopular. They voted for them. They need to own their votes!

I want a revolution in transparency and advertisement. I want these jerks and jackasses tattooed with their votes and their positions on every policy matter they’ve ever opened their fat mouths about. If they say one thing and do another, I want them hung by the press. I want the press to do its job and find these things out, or I’ll hire someone else to do it. Someone liberals won’t like to do it (like bloggers)

The deceit of our Congressmen is the primary cause of corruption in our government. When our leaders can say one thing and then turn around and do another without any kind of retribution or backlash against their lies, THAT is when this country ran down the road to oblivion.

I despise Congress and the Liars who are party to it. If they are against a policy, I want them to be found out, I want it advertised for all the world to see, and I want them to own their own votes on these matters. Hiding their positions, with the complicity of the liberal press, is poison to democracy. Betrayal of his constituents and his previous promises by a Congressman should be broadcast wide and far and notice made by all of us. Betrayal of these principles by the press is just as bad and deserves the contempt and scorn of every American.

Vote the Bums Out. Every Damn One of Them!

Subsunk

Subsunk on March 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Not content with the denying the Minority to offer amendments and substitutes, the Majority has even refused to permit [the Minority} the chance to vote on the Majority’s own bills. That is precisely what happened on June 12. This being the 23rd, that was 13 days ago.

Sheesh!

midlander on March 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM

mgman on March 17, 2010 at 10:21 AM

27/7? Which of the 57 united states have 27-hour days now?

I know, I know, stupid keyboard, clumsy fingers :)

factoid on March 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM

@pabarge,
I largely agree with you – but even you have to admit that no one has used “deeming” as a procedure that will affect 1/6th of the world’s largest economy -and of course the freedom of millions of citizens and their children. Two wrongs dont make it right.

There will be a time for conservatives to atone for their omissions and commisions – but this hand wringing at this juncture, you will agree with me is not helping.

I’d rather have people melt the switchboards calling their rat b***d congressmen- there is still some hope left, how ever slim for defeating this monstrous assault on America.

nagee76 on March 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Michelle Malkin is reporting Pelosi has the votes and the CBO report. Bill to be released today and voted on Saturday.

andy85719 on March 17, 2010 at 11:20 AM

neurosculptor on March 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM

So that thing about “one nation, indivisible” — that’s just a meaningless mantra to you then?

factoid on March 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Does anyone know or have a link to how many times the GOP used this procedure, and for what? Dems are claiming they used it tons.

changer1701 on March 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Arrogant at best.

Potential worst: America’s “Enabling Act of 1933″

Lockstein13 on March 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM

This.
Is.
A.
Coup.

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Yes it is.
But then, maybe they’ll pass a law so as to ignore the ‘silent’ majority on all issues bcs after all, we are just crazy if we don’t know that this is for our own good.

Badger40 on March 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Potential worst: America’s “Enabling Act of 1933″

Lockstein13 on March 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I have been reading about the illegal siezing of powers in Germany during that time. It’s a book by an Oppenheimer, I believe, on comparing Stalin & Hitler’s govts & how they rose to power.
The historical paralells in some areas are frightening.
But of course those of us who use history as our mentor are told that we are paranoid & delusional bcs we are so modern & enlightened that it would NEVER happen here.

Badger40 on March 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

factoid on March 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM

There are two Americas.

Holger on March 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I’m thinking sec3ssion is the likely outcome. The federal government is going bankrupt, anyway, and will drag everything associated with it down, too.

neurosculptor on March 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM

We can have the states take back their own rights. on’t need any successions at all.
And how many states is it that have passed or are considering these declaration of state’s rights in their legislatures?
Quite a few.
Now that we have state bankruptcies, perhaps these states will realize the error of their ways by taking govt $ which is what has mostly bankrupted them in the 1st place.

Badger40 on March 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM

There are two Americas.

Holger on March 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Well I believe that: rural minded & city minded.

Badger40 on March 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Skywise on March 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Amen, brother.

n0doz on March 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM

What I see here with this deem and pass scenario is the beginning of the end for our traditional law creating protocol. The republicans will return to majority status eventually as majority/minority ebb and flow occurs and in this day may likely become regular, predictable, and even more extreme, as our fiscal and social problems are increasing at an unsustainable pace. Thus, the party in power will get blames for problems that have accumulated over decades, and the public may simply have anti incumbant fever each election cycle. So, with this very public progressive radical circumventing of traditional process of creating law, the door is left wide open for republicans to use the same tactic without feeling any shame, guilt or fear. This tactic will justify future abuse of itself, and the public will have no recourse, no obligation, and no justifiable complaint to oppose it if it is accepted in this enormously controversial method in this enormously controversial legislation. Yes, for two years the president will have Veto power over the next congress. 2012 could well be the year when absolute hell breaks loose. Trouble is brewing in the population, individual liberty is under attack. The left is drunk on power at this time, but the hangover will be extreme. I truly believe they are drinking way too much, and are legislating while intoxicated.

CriticalUpdate on March 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM

There’s no better example of a Kabuki mask Democrat than Steny Hoyer. He was called a liar to his face by a constituent in the summer town hall meetings and didn’t do anything except say “I’ve been down this road before.”
He exaggerates, he evades responsibility and he participates in faux-rage at every possible opportunity. He is fond of blaming budget deficits on Republican presidents when he knows full well that the Congress enacts spending bills. He constantly misdirects blame for things he has done and participated in doing to someone else or to the opposition party.
Steny Hoyer is a politician and anything he says should be discounted as a lie, an exaggeration, or as misdirection until his words have been vetted for truth and accuracy. He rarely passes that test but frequently passes manipulative words out of his CO2-emitting mouth.

ExpressoBold on March 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM

There are some of us whom expect no less from the evil botox queen and her muslum boss.

bluegrass on March 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM

factoid on March 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM

One half of the nation sits on its ass drinking and drugging and only gets up to pickpocket the other half.

Sorry, we’ve had enough of it. You want socialism , you’re not an American.

NoDonkey on March 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Just checked out your website, so I’ll recant the troll accusation.

But why do you think GOP is just as responsible for Demon Pass?

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Sorry to take so long to get back. This “deem and pass” maneuver has been in use for years. If it makes sense for some technical aspects of legislation then the rule should not be open ended making it permissible to use in this way.

Republicans aren’t out of the Bush/DeLay woods yet and need to differentiate them selves from this AND their past “business as usual” shenanigans.

Hope you liked the site.

cartooner on March 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM

My only question is this: what next if this passes? Clearly, it’s unacceptable to the majority of the public and in my opinion, they no longer have the consent of the governed. So again, what next?

I fear that drastic measures may be needed to stop this tyrannical power grab.

Any ideas?

moonbat monitor on March 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM

cartooner on March 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I think there is a huge difference this time around. At the close of his dog and pony show two weeks ago Obama asked for a simple up and down vote. We all knew that was a veiled request, geared towards reconciliation while never mentioning the R word. Nevertheless he made a point out of asking for the up and down vote. This is all about deceit and dishonesty, going down the deem and pass path. The funny part is, the Dems think this will give their candidates cover in the fall election, since they never voted no on the healthcare bill. Yes, they really are that stupid.

I have to admit I don’t know enough about the history of Republicans using deem and pass to force a bill through congress. That’s not to say they never did, but not knowing, I can only assume they did not take this path after announcing “all we want is a simple up and down vote”.

And yes, I did like your site. Very creative, and tickled my funny bone.

fogw on March 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM

The Dem whining (and Joe Conason over at Salon) that Reps used this dirty trick before so it is fine to use it now is like the playground arguement about who hit who first.

If this tactic was wrong then it is wrong, even more so, now. To justify its use today because Reps did it in the past simply says any dirty trick is allowable as long as someone else from the other party did it before. This can only produce a race to the bottom in terms of behavior.

If Pelosi were what she says she is, she would never have killed the rules in force during the Rep majority allowing the minority to amend bills, Fat Charlie would have lost a lot more than his gavel and the House would have an up/down vote on Obamacare.

She isn’t, Charlie didn’t and the House won’t unless the Red Queen can be sure she will win. And asses like Conason will applaud her clever revenge on Reps.

Congress has its performance rating for a reason. A people governed by such misrepresentation are likely to lower their own ethical standards in suit. When you weep about our uncivil society, remember than a fish rots from the head down.

Harry Schell on March 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Probably a limited issue Obama bobble head. The guy can be bought, and bought cheaply.

capejasmine on March 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Let’s face it. There is more in this bill than they want us to know. I have no doubts now, there are takeovers, and a complete coup, and shredding of the constitution. Once this crap passes, this will no longer be the America we know, and love.

capejasmine on March 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Maybe someone will actually have the brains to CHANGE THE RULES the next time they are in charge? What a joke both sides of the aisle are on this issue. They have the power to get rid of this loophole but neither side will, because when they are in power it suits their needs.

Now we have to live with this rule being used for a ginormous bill that will have material impact on the lives of every American.

ReaganRoxx on March 17, 2010 at 1:08 PM

If the Dems do invoke the “Slaughter Rule”, then they will go the same way the Federalists did after they rammed through the Alien and Sedition Acts. It was popular outrage at those acts that doomed the Federalists. Everything else: the attempted vote rigging during the 1800 presidential election, the attempt by the lame duck Adams and the equally lame duck Federalist Congress to pack the federal judiciary with Federalists with the Judiciary Act of 1800, the Essex Junto and its conspiratorial actions prior to and during the War of 1812 all contributed to the Federalists’ demise, true, but it was the Federalists overreaching with the Alien and Sedition Acts that delivered the mortal blow.

Democrats–do this and you’re going to go the way of the Federalists.

Matt Helm on March 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM

First paragraph…you meant “which representative blasted the Slaughter Rule for its political cowardice”, right? Ol’ Steny is no Republican.

longshanks on March 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

moonbat monitor on March 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What can we do? Increase the pressure, but in other areas. Hit the support staff. Here’s something I posted on a greenroom thread:

The United States Capitol Police http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/home.php protect Congress. Let’s ask the Chief of Police, Philip D. Morse, to arrest the members of the House of Representatives that act unconstitutionally.
He may not do that, but it’s good strategy to chip away at the defenders of criminals. It’s like hitting the convoy escorts first, then going after the transports later.
If the HC bill passes without a Constitutional vote, the Members who voted aye are, by definition, domestic enemies of the Constitution.

The Secret Service and the Military are our last line of defense before unspeakable violence.

NaCly dog on March 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM

ongshanks on March 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

EM was writing ironically. It’s the literary equivalent of sarcasm.

ExpressoBold on March 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Great picture of allahpundit.

dragondrop on March 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM